Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E05: Chapter Five: Dig Dug

Athena
  • Start Topic

I did a season 1 rewatch to catch up on the Terry Ives story. In season 1, she's catatonic, but she's not doing the chant, and she doesn't display any powers. They do explain that she signed up for Brenner's experiment near the end of the trial when they were doing some real weird shit and Terry didn't know she was pregnant. I'm assuming that Terry getting pregnant was a part of the experiment, and one of the remaining questions is who (or what) is Jane's father. It does make me wonder though, if Eleven was born into the experiment, what about Eight? The news clippings say she was abducted as a small girl. I'm wondering if her mother was also a part of the experiment, but managed to escape for a few years. I also want to know where Terry's telekinetic abilities manifested from. Did she pass them down to Jane? Or did she develop them because after conceiving her? And since we only saw her use them in Jane's presence, does she only have these powers when in proximity to her? I wish we got more answers from Terry other than how Jane was taken.

33 minutes ago, absnow54 said:

And since we only saw her use them in Jane's presence, does she only have these powers when in proximity to her? I wish we got more answers from Terry other than how Jane was taken.

The aunt said that the light bulb flickering was a regular thing in the household, so it seems like she's always been doing it.

Yeah, I still don't believe they can really piece together all those tunnel drawings (that look exactly alike) into a realistic looking map around known landmarks like lakes and such.  

Nancy and Johnathan with the conspiracy theorist is a hoot.

Dustin has good ideas, but he really does underestimate Dart.  It certainly does seem like an upside down baby got out and its parent(s) are trying to find it.  Guess that means there's more than one of them.

Billy, ugh!  Can he be demogorgon food?

Can't believe Hopper would go into the tunnel by himself like that.

55 minutes ago, Hanahope said:

Yeah, I still don't believe they can really piece together all those tunnel drawings (that look exactly alike) into a realistic looking map around known landmarks like lakes and such.  

I remember when the promo was airing it looked like Will was just scribbling and then throwing the papers in the floor, and they were landing in place to create an image (like everything was being controlled by the mind flayer, not just Will himself) and it was creepy as hell, if unrealistic.  That still would have been more believable than Joyce being able to piece together that map.

• Love 4

i knew from the beginning of the season that noah's skill and ability to act is absolutely heads and tails above finn and millie. it's an utter shame that they get all the attention. even during this season, the fans kept talking about them as well as the media, even though the show isn't about them and never was. it's understandable that S1 showed finn and millie more since will was kidnapped, but unfortunately that was a mistake. noah is back and outacting all the kids and is easily on the level of the adults, yet he's overshadowed by the first season's characters. it's really sad. and seeing that seizure/convulsion not only be completely convincing but also terrifying? i know none of the kids could have achieved that without it falling flat, either by a small gap or big. i really hope he gets a successful life in acting when he's older, if he chooses this as his life. i'll be rooting for him all the way.

• Love 1
On 3/2/2019 at 1:17 PM, Iju said:

i knew from the beginning of the season that noah's skill and ability to act is absolutely heads and tails above finn and millie. it's an utter shame that they get all the attention. even during this season, the fans kept talking about them as well as the media, even though the show isn't about them and never was. it's understandable that S1 showed finn and millie more since will was kidnapped, but unfortunately that was a mistake. noah is back and outacting all the kids and is easily on the level of the adults, yet he's overshadowed by the first season's characters. it's really sad. and seeing that seizure/convulsion not only be completely convincing but also terrifying? i know none of the kids could have achieved that without it falling flat, either by a small gap or big. i really hope he gets a successful life in acting when he's older, if he chooses this as his life. i'll be rooting for him all the way.

I disagree, not the part where he is talented, that he is so much better than his fellow child actors. I found his seziure amazing but none of the other kids have been callled to do his type of acting because that isn't what the show needed, but all of them rose to the occassion in their respective roles for was. Nor has been lost on the Stranger Things or the media, at least completely; he did when win an MTV Award wheras Finn and Millie lost "Best Kiss" and the show was pushing for him to be nominated for a "Supporting Actor Emmy" and he probably would have gotten it if David Harbour wasn't also submitted for the same catergory (eventhough it should have been Best Lead Actor for him). Now the audience are hoping that he becames an LBGT character. The audience has a lot of hope pinned on Will's unexplored potential.  People tend to ship, and because Finn and Millie have such incredible on screen chem, a lot of audience are rooting for that-its escapism, almost as much as the scifi elements of the show. On General Hospital in the 90s, Vanessa Marcil wasn't the shows best actress (that honor going to Jane Elliot everytime she returned), but because of her connection to Maurice Bernard's Sonny and her openness as an actress, she was incredibly propular. All I know is that Shawn Levy was incredibly jazzed that he could utilize Noah more in Season 2 as he said on the red carpet. 

• Love 1
On 3/5/2019 at 11:09 PM, Ambrosefolly said:

I disagree, not the part where he is talented, that he is so much better than his fellow child actors. I found his seziure amazing but none of the other kids have been callled to do his type of acting because that isn't what the show needed, but all of them rose to the occassion in their respective roles for was. Nor has been lost on the Stranger Things or the media, at least completely; he did when win an MTV Award wheras Finn and Millie lost "Best Kiss" and the show was pushing for him to be nominated for a "Supporting Actor Emmy" and he probably would have gotten it if David Harbour wasn't also submitted for the same catergory (eventhough it should have been Best Lead Actor for him). Now the audience are hoping that he becames an LBGT character. The audience has a lot of hope pinned on Will's unexplored potential.  People tend to ship, and because Finn and Millie have such incredible on screen chem, a lot of audience are rooting for that-its escapism, almost as much as the scifi elements of the show. On General Hospital in the 90s, Vanessa Marcil wasn't the shows best actress (that honor going to Jane Elliot everytime she returned), but because of her connection to Maurice Bernard's Sonny and her openness as an actress, she was incredibly propular. All I know is that Shawn Levy was incredibly jazzed that he could utilize Noah more in Season 2 as he said on the red carpet. 

i don't follow the show media wise (i'm a very low casual fan) so it's great you brought up his noms. i'm so happy for him. i do agree he should have gotten lead since as i said before, the whole story and especially this season is about him, lol. everyone else is supporting, not him. but personally, when i see videos about the cast, noah's almost always have the lowest views out of all the cast. and i found that very unfair.

i don't know about him playing a non straight character because....well, in today's times, even if he played it good or bad it would just bring media attention regardless. he could probably win prizes for the role he took and not for his talent. but we'll see. 

and i know that any character doing a seizure isn't going to be thrown around willy nilly in any TV show or movie, but i felt that no-one could pull it off but him. considering he was a character who was constantly stressed and emotionally frantic, those parts of him have been acted by the kids in their roles in S1. but i have seen how he's better doing those sort of things so much better than the rest, i really doubt anyone else could pull off not a seizure specifically, but something huge under the belt like that.

(edited)
On 3/8/2019 at 2:54 AM, Iju said:

i don't follow the show media wise (i'm a very low casual fan) so it's great you brought up his noms. i'm so happy for him. i do agree he should have gotten lead since as i said before, the whole story and especially this season is about him, lol. everyone else is supporting, not him. but personally, when i see videos about the cast, noah's almost always have the lowest views out of all the cast. and i found that very unfair.

i don't know about him playing a non straight character because....well, in today's times, even if he played it good or bad it would just bring media attention regardless. he could probably win prizes for the role he took and not for his talent. but we'll see. 

and i know that any character doing a seizure isn't going to be thrown around willy nilly in any TV show or movie, but i felt that no-one could pull it off but him. considering he was a character who was constantly stressed and emotionally frantic, those parts of him have been acted by the kids in their roles in S1. but i have seen how he's better doing those sort of things so much better than the rest, i really doubt anyone else could pull off not a seizure specifically, but something huge under the belt like that.

My opinion none of the other kids on Stranger Things failed at their own emotional arcs either, so they also could pull off that type of seizure (and I am sure he was well prep to do it), we probably won't find out from this show. Nor do I think he has ever out acted or upstage any of his co stars in scenes with them. They all seem to be at the same level and I think they are all pretty much better than most adults. 

Noah is making the same amount of money as Finn, Caleb, and Gaten on Stranger Things and they did alot press together. (Millie's team managed to negiotate a higher salary for her, which I admit, I found unfair and she did the Stranger Things press seperately from the other kids). It just feels like he is a new character much like Sadie Sink's Max since we didn't see him for much of season 1. Also keep in mind that Finn was also in one of the biggest horror movies recently, "It" right after the first season of the show, was in another comedy, Dog Days, and performs regularly with his band. We will see where Noah is at, fame wise, once his two feature films (where he has the lead roles in both) come out. 

Edited by Ambrosefolly
  • Love 1
On 3/8/2019 at 7:50 PM, Ambrosefolly said:

My opinion none of the other kids on Stranger Things failed at their own emotional arcs either, so they also could pull off that type of seizure (and I am sure he was well prep to do it), we probably won't find out from this show. Nor do I think he has ever out acted or upstage any of his co stars in scenes with them. They all seem to be at the same level and I think they are all pretty much better than most adults. 

Noah is making the same amount of money as Finn, Caleb, and Gaten on Stranger Things and they did alot press together. (Millie's team managed to negiotate a higher salary for her, which I admit, I found unfair and she did the Stranger Things press seperately from the other kids). It just feels like he is a new character much like Sadie Sink's Max since we didn't see him for much of season 1. Also keep in mind that Finn was also in one of the biggest horror movies recently, "It" right after the first season of the show, was in another comedy, Dog Days, and performs regularly with his band. We will see where Noah is at, fame wise, once his two feature films (where he has the lead roles in both) come out. 

if you thought i implied that the kids besides noah weren't enough in their roles, that's not right. they did the best they could do, including noah. i just find his skills higher than theirs. just because i find him superior doesn't mean that i'm putting them down. they're very talented as well and if they are nominated for their roles you won't hear me complaining. it's honestly a relief to see such talented kids now because we were in a really bad dark age concerning them for a looong while. in my opinion the last era of great kid actors died when dakota fanning grew up (she's in my top three kid actors, along with elijah wood).

i wasn't talking about how much money they made because honestly i don't know or care, but that's good to know he's on the same cash earnings as most of the cast even though he's only been in one season. in S1 i feel the interviews for him was just with the cast and talking about how close they are. i don't know about dog days with finn, however. is it another TV show? 

On 3/15/2019 at 10:41 AM, Iju said:

if you thought i implied that the kids besides noah weren't enough in their roles, that's not right. they did the best they could do, including noah. i just find his skills higher than theirs. just because i find him superior doesn't mean that i'm putting them down. they're very talented as well and if they are nominated for their roles you won't hear me complaining. it's honestly a relief to see such talented kids now because we were in a really bad dark age concerning them for a looong while. in my opinion the last era of great kid actors died when dakota fanning grew up (she's in my top three kid actors, along with elijah wood).

i wasn't talking about how much money they made because honestly i don't know or care, but that's good to know he's on the same cash earnings as most of the cast even though he's only been in one season. in S1 i feel the interviews for him was just with the cast and talking about how close they are. i don't know about dog days with finn, however. is it another TV show? 

I think you implied that the kids weren't given the massive seizure because they weren't capable of portraying it, not because it wasn't it their own character arcs. And no, it isn't obvious that Noah Schnapp is head and shoulders better than the rest of the kids, because he isn't (to me anyways, fine if you think he is the best actor), or at least at this point we haven't seen any of the kids majorly (or even minorly) screw up a scene. 

• Love 1

Noah's acting certainly impressed me in the second season - particularly since we didn't see much of him in the first season. That being said, I think all of these kids are exemplary, handling emotional and physical performances that would tax many adult actors.

We all have favorites, but I believe it's impossible to say one is better than the other, because the performances they are asked to give - and nail at every turn - are not the same. They require the actors to say different lines, play different levels of intensity, and express different emotions. Not to mention they do not have the same level of experience when it comes to professional acting. Close, but not the same.

• Love 2

On my rewatch I was thinking when Bob had Joyce, Will and Mike measuring points of the drawings then calculating those measurements on a map of Hawkins what if Joyce had a larger house and the drawing were spread out more? Those drawings all looked the same I don't know how they put them together in the correct order. I know they wanted something to match the Christmas lights but I thought the drawings were a stretch. Nice shout out to The Goonies.

When El was in the kitchen at her aunts house I noticed a lot of items I used to have like the popcorn maker, the salt & pepper shakers, the electric fryer and the 4 slice toaster.

Yay, Steve and Dustin together at last :-)

Poor mews and Dustin's mom :-(

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, foxfreakinmulder said:

Those drawings all looked the same I don't know how they put them together in the correct order. I know they wanted something to match the Christmas lights but I thought the drawings were a stretch.

Yeah.  I remember when I saw the previews the way it was shot, it looked like Will was just throwing the drawings down and they were landing in a pattern, which would also have been a stretch LOL but if the Mind Flayer was "controlling" him already, it would have at least made sense and been a hella cool and spooky (*nods to a fellow 'Phile) plot point.  As it stands, there's absolutely no way Joyce looked at all those drawings and realized they fit together to make a map.  There's just no way.

• Love 1
(edited)
8 hours ago, Taryn74 said:

Yeah.  I remember when I saw the previews the way it was shot, it looked like Will was just throwing the drawings down and they were landing in a pattern, which would also have been a stretch LOL but if the Mind Flayer was "controlling" him already, it would have at least made sense and been a hella cool and spooky (*nods to a fellow 'Phile) plot point.  As it stands, there's absolutely no way Joyce looked at all those drawings and realized they fit together to make a map.  There's just no way.

Each drawing was a bit different - with slightly different colors and the "tunnels" and other lines going in slightly different directions on the page. She fit them like a jigsaw puzzle - it was a gargantuan task, but I had no problem with it. (the first time I watched it, I thought it was ridiculous too - the second time I took really careful notice of each drawing)

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Like 1
  • Love 3
On 11/9/2017 at 2:04 AM, VCRTracking said:

Just like Nancy in the woods last season. One of the things I love about this show is that all the main characters were smarter than they usually are in other genre. It does unfortunately make the moments when they do stupid things stand out like Hopper in the tunnel and Dusting keeping the baby demidog.

Each time, my husband exclaims "why would you see something like that and then decide to go into it!!"

Crazy guy that Nancy and Jonathan visited also hilariously played the brother-in-law on Fleabag.

• LOL 1