Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E09: Chapter Nine: The Gate

Athena
  • Start Topic

(edited)
13 hours ago, psychoticstate said:

I look forward to season 3.  How long do we have to wait? 

Welcome to the season :-)  Sadly, the next is in 2019 :-/

Edited by MisterGlass
Phrasing
2 hours ago, psychoticstate said:

No!!!!!!  Another half year, at least???

They have already started production which should take them into the end of summer. If we're lucky, early or mid 2019. The show has been released around Fall/Halloween but TPTB have said that S3 will shift the storylines so they may not be going for that traditional Fall horror setting. 

• Love 1
On ‎10‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 11:40 AM, ghoulina said:

Bob Newby was a good guy. He was thoughtful and patient and selfless and very brave.

I was so sad that Bob didn't make it. Once again, Samwise Gamgee to the rescue.

I binged both seasons this weekend. I was a pig. All the hype this show gets is so well deserved. I love the 80's references and the cast. I wanna go to an old fashioned arcade again. I want that bag of Cheetos the Arcade guy was eating. I loved hearing Steve's big hair styling tips. For the love of God I loved hearing Olivia Newton John's "Twist of Fate" at the Snow Ball. Its still one of my all time favorite 80's songs.

Since I'm new here, has it ever been mentioned that Jonathan reminded anybody of a young Norman Reedus?

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Lady Iris said:

I was so sad that Bob didn't make it. Once again, Samwise Gamgee to the rescue.

I binged both seasons this weekend. I was a pig. All the hype this show gets is so well deserved. I love the 80's references and the cast. I wanna go to an old fashioned arcade again. I want that bag of Cheetos the Arcade guy was eating. I loved hearing Steve's big hair styling tips. For the love of God I loved hearing Olivia Newton John's "Twist of Fate" at the Snow Ball. Its still one of my all time favorite 80's songs.

Since I'm new here, has it ever been mentioned that Jonathan reminded anybody of a young Norman Reedus?

I don't remember if anyone said he looked like Reedus,  but I think you have something there.

• Love 2

So I've just binged the first two seasons over the last week or so.

I liked the first season, but thought the second was really great. Steve and Dustin are definitely my favourites.

I think what I like the most about this show, even though it is quite dark, there is just a tremendous amount of warmth within it. You can just tell that the cast work together seamlessly.

On a sidenote, what on earth happened to Dustin's tortoise after he was ousted from his cage? I don't think we ever saw him again after that.

Dark is right. I could barely see a thing over the past two episodes. 

One thing that cracks me up - totally real - is all the kids are just out doing whatever. One left a note. I think Nance called in the fake sleepover twice. Billy was basically running the house fire the whole time. 

I also like how Hopper doesn't talk down to the kids. He treats them like kids and is clearly the adult but he's not condescending. 

I also liked the older kids being nice to the younger kids. 

This is my Xmas show so I watch over the holiday each year. 

To be honest though, I'm apprehensive about an S3. The closing of the gate seems to be the natural end of the story. 

I was glad the doctor survived. 

Edited by ganesh

We just binged watched season 2. Loved it. And I never thought Steve would turn out to be my favorite character. I just love the guy! He is a damned good babysitter. I was really sad about Bob. I just knew he would bite it. 

• Love 4
On 12/29/2017 at 5:24 AM, ameinonkel said:

It is one of the best parts of the show. "Sara? Sara's my girl. She's my little girl . . . She left us. The black hole, it got her. Somehow I've just been scared — I've just been scared that it would take you too. I think that's why I get so mad. I'm so sorry, for everything," It is the moment when he tells her that he loves her as a daughter, out loud.

David Harbour is an outstanding actor. The way he said that line "Sara's my girl..." with such tenderness, such love, brought me to tears. I'm crying now, remembering. How has he not won an Emmy yet? He's absolutely incredible.

• Love 2
41 minutes ago, CeeBeeGee said:

David Harbour is an outstanding actor. The way he said that line "Sara's my girl..." with such tenderness, such love, brought me to tears. I'm crying now, remembering. How has he not won an Emmy yet? He's absolutely incredible.

He is. I never knew of him before this show, and now I love him. He's been nominated twice for Stranger Things, and did win a Critics Choice award for the role. So he's being recognized, at least.

On 6/5/2018 at 8:13 AM, psychoticstate said:

The parents in this show continue being incredibly obtuse.  No idea what's going on and apparently no concern that their kids aren't home.  I know it was 1984, those were the days we'd be outside playing all day in summer and no cell phones.  However, my parents still pretty much knew where I was.  I wasn't given carte blanche to run all over town, even once I could drive.  Nancy and Jonathan were gone overnight and not one parent seemed to notice they weren't home.  My parents would have lit up the neighborhood, called every person I knew and then be on the line with the cops.  

It doesn't totally explain the parents' apparent lack of concern, but the nationwide "Missing Children Milk Carton Program" and the accompanying mass media coverage of missing kids didn't really begin until 1984-85. Before that, I think there was less worry about where kids were, especially if the kids said they would be hanging out with friends / sleeping over at a friends' house and/or if both parents worked. When I was a teen in the 1960s (granted, this was 2 decades before the time this show was set in), my parents worked long hours in another town and had no idea where I was most of the time. But my daughter was born in 1983, and by the time she was a preschooler I was paranoid about knowing where she was every minute, in large part because of the stories about missing kids. 

• Love 1
On ‎6‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 5:13 AM, psychoticstate said:

Steve's big brother routine with Dustin is adorbs.   I thoroughly loved Adventures in Babysitting with Steve.  More please.

He's one hell of a babysitter! Loved the scene of Steve standing on the porch with the kids.

Loved his pep talk with Dustin in the car. It broke my heart to see Dustin cry because no one would dance with him, yay Nancy. Hey bitches, you don't know it but Dustin and his friends just saved your ass.

I hate Billy so much and the bad guy stereotype of laughing while getting punched in the face. Come on, he doesn't even look or talk like a high school kid. The actor is trying to hard and it doesn't work for me. Too bad that needle wasn't full of air Max stuck him with.

I was laughing hard when Max was driving and Steve was waking up after his beating.

I thought Bob turned the lights on in the lab but when Hopper and El got there they looked off again.

That was a really cute scene of Mike and El at the dance.

I loved the end with the camera turning upside down to show us the monster hovering over the school. Well done!

Enjoyed my rewatch of season 2. I forgot how many great episodes it had, this being one of them. Except for the scenes with Billy. Barf!

• Love 1

Finished up S2 in my rewatch last night. Some random thoughts -

How did Becky have money to live? Unless she left her catatonic sister in a chair by herself all day while she went to work (without a way to feed herself, go to the bathroom, etc) she would have to be at home 24/7. Did any of the newspaper clippings indicate that Terry had been given a large settlement for her part in the "failed" LSD experiments? I doubt they came from a family with a lot of money if Terry was participating in these experiments for cash in the first place.

I get that Nancy was doing her part to force the mind flayer out of Will with the hot poker, but Jeebus. Giving him third degree burns seems a bit extreme. And on a practical note, what kind of mess would Joyce have been in if the burns had gotten infected and she had to find a way to explain to an ER doc how he got burned without it looking like she was an abusive parent? These are the questions that keep me up at night.

I bought my now-16 yo one of those "Babysitter's Club - Steve's Scary Situation" (I think that was the wording) t-shirts at the time. I wish he would still wear it. Cracks me up.

I wish Paul Reiser had put El's name as Eleanor Jane (Mike used Eleanor as a fake name in S1) on her "birth certificate" so they would have a legal reason to still call her El. The name Jane does not fit her AT ALL. (Even though I've seen S3, I don't remember at this point if they started calling her Jane or not. I hope not, LOL.)

I know fans mostly considered the Lost Sister ep to be a waste of time, but I think it was important for El to learn how to focus her emotions to control her power. Until then, she was only able to really use her telekinetic powers when she was extremely frightened or angry. That wouldn't have been sustainable enough to be able to close the gate.

Also, I didn't hate Kali. I think she could have taken some lessons from El in finding a more appropriate way of dealing with her emotions, and her "family" got on my last nerve, but I believed that she felt a real connection with El and had the potential of becoming a better person.

They should have done something to make Billy at least a little bit sympathetic. One scene of his abusive father yelling at him wasn't nearly enough to make me feel sorry for him.

I still can't see any real chemistry between Nancy and Jonathon. I've tried, LOL. And it was incredibly gross of Murray to practically throw them in bed together after getting them nice and tipsy. I wouldn't have been surprised to see that he had a video camera set up in that bedroom and was hoping to get a peep show. Gag.

I didn't go back to check, but after thinking about it I wonder if Nancy told Barb's mom a different day to meet her than when she and Jonathon actually sat in the park waiting for the baddies to chase them and just used the phone call as a means of calling their attention to Nancy. Because it is simply cruel to leave the poor woman hanging like that if she actually stood her up. At least they were able to concoct a story to give the parents some closure. It was smart of Murray to come up with something that would satisfy the parents without giving them the whole story.

Feral!El (before Hopper moved her into the cabin) was terrifying. Thank God Hopper was able to find her. I can't imagine that being the rest of her life.

Is Dustin really so terrible that no girls would even dance with him? I know it's middle school, but geez. He was cute, he was funny, he was smart even if nerdy. No reason the girls would have been that snotty toward him, IMO. Especially since he was buddy-buddy with Steve 'The Hair' Harrington. Steve was the most popular boy in high school until Billy showed up. That should have given Dustin some street cred right there.

This is really random, but why did Joyce cough/gag every time she smoked one of Hop's cigarettes? Was it a joke about the brand or something that went over my head? (My only experience with smoking is the few times I smoked in high school, and I was too much of a dork to even know I was supposed to inhale. Me and Bill Clinton, ha.) Because they showed Joyce smoking several times during both seasons, so it's not like she wasn't used to cigarettes anymore.

I have had the first season running half the night/this morning, as I do other things, to catch myself up, before watching the new season. I couldn't get into it again, at first, because of what happened this week. I've just been out of it. Season two has started up now. I can't believe how much I'd forgotten. 

• Love 1