Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E09: The Business of Religion

• Start Topic

On 10/28/2017 at 11:28 AM, Neurochick said:

In August we have "Harlem Week" and on the last day there's this huge street fair.  I was walking around and BOOM, the "Church" of Scientology had a HUGE booth but you know what?  People stopped and looked because their booth was huge and they kept walking.  The folks were practically shoving their literature in people's hands.  See, there is a "Church" of Scientology in Harlem, but it's not in a well traveled area, unlike the Mormon temple which gets a lot of foot traffic.  

The thing is, there are plenty of churches in Harlem, the Baptists, the AME, the Church of God in Christ and the Catholic Church, and most with pretty damn good choirs (which is what the tourists come to see but that's another story); I thought, "damn, these folks are desperate, they're usually not here hawking their wares."

The Co$ attempted more basic ways to tap into the community in Harlem. When they first opened the building on 125th Street they were advertising it as available space for community uses. I think their hope was they would get people using the building for meetings and they would get be able to pitch folks from there. I think they failed to realize, that when people use churches for stuff like that its usually because one of their members says "we can meet in the basement of my church" or because the pastors offer up their churches because they are active participants in the community. Since they don't actually have members that do anything other than spend all of their time practicing Scamology, they didn't have any ambassadors to get them introduced to the broader community.

• Love 4
On 10/26/2017 at 5:09 PM, iMonrey said:

I have a hard time believing the church has had any new recruits or sign-ups in the last several years, unless it's in some far-flung country that doesn't have internet or TV. I mean, who would sign up for this after a quick Google search? I think their only members are those who joined in the pre-internet age and are still brainwashed, plus anyone born into it that simply hasn't gotten out yet.

Unfortunately I don't think the internet has done much to curb the idiocy of people giving their hard earned money away to people who say all the right things and make grand promises.  Look how many people are getting scammed out of their life savings from Nigerian Princes.

Sure, they probably aren't bringing in the recruits like they used to, but I have no doubt they're still preying on the disillusioned and promising them the world.  

It's amazing to me just how many people there are who allow this type of thing to happen to them.  In this vein, I agree with that Scientology principle to a point.  Someone tells me I need to pay $100k for some hokey class and a book and I'm going to tell you to get fucked.  But I grew up with parents who allowed me to think freely and make my own choices.  I suppose if you're raised hearing this sham all your life you think the shit actually works.  Whereas I'm over here watching this going....this dude gave HOW MUCH money?  HELL NO!

I hope Garcia keeps the case going and doesn't settle.  At this point, I'm truly wondering if this church will ever disband.  When you've got people giving up millions, sending their kids to torture camps, disconnecting from family's and abusing children I don't think a little bad press on TV is concerning for you.

It's like they're pod people.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, CaughtOnTape said:

It's amazing to me just how many people there are who allow this type of thing to happen to them.  In this vein, I agree with that Scientology principle to a point.  Someone tells me I need to pay $100k for some hokey class and a book and I'm going to tell you to get fucked.  But I grew up with parents who allowed me to think freely and make my own choices.  I suppose if you're raised hearing this sham all your life you think the shit actually works.  Whereas I'm over here watching this going....this dude gave HOW MUCH money?  HELL NO!

I think what they do is like that tale about putting a frog into water and gradually bringing it up to a boil. Frog doesn't know until too late that it is being cooked.

Same thing with Scamatology. They don't hit you upfront for $100k. It's a $100 course here, a $50 course there, then a $500 membership, then a $1,000 package of books and pretty soon you are into it for significant money. A lot of people, who don't want to feel like they threw their money away, will just keep going. It must be something about human nature because that's how Ponzi schemes and multi-level marketing scams hook people in, too.

• Love 7
6 hours ago, Rlb8031 said:

The Co$ attempted more basic ways to tap into the community in Harlem. When they first opened the building on 125th Street they were advertising it as available space for community uses. I think their hope was they would get people using the building for meetings and they would get be able to pitch folks from there. I think they failed to realize, that when people use churches for stuff like that its usually because one of their members says "we can meet in the basement of my church" or because the pastors offer up their churches because they are active participants in the community. Since they don't actually have members that do anything other than spend all of their time practicing Scamology, they didn't have any ambassadors to get them introduced to the broader community.

Also, where they are on 125th street is out of the way.  They are on the east side and up there, most of the "cool" stuff in Harlem (brownstones, churches, restaurants, the Apollo, Whole Foods...hehe)  is on the west side. 

• Love 2
On 10/26/2017 at 7:09 PM, iMonrey said:

I have a hard time believing the church has had any new recruits or sign-ups in the last several years, unless it's in some far-flung country that doesn't have internet or TV. I mean, who would sign up for this after a quick Google search? I think their only members are those who joined in the pre-internet age and are still brainwashed, plus anyone born into it that simply hasn't gotten out yet.

Well I think they are feeling at least some desperation. Recently a friend of mine received an invitation in the mail  to an ‘anti drug’ seminar run by the COS. It was addressed to her DOG!!! LOL

• Love 18
On ‎10‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 4:28 PM, italianguy626 said:

I think what they do is like that tale about putting a frog into water and gradually bringing it up to a boil. Frog doesn't know until too late that it is being cooked.

Same thing with Scamatology. They don't hit you upfront for $100k. It's a $100 course here, a $50 course there, then a $500 membership, then a $1,000 package of books and pretty soon you are into it for significant money. A lot of people, who don't want to feel like they threw their money away, will just keep going. It must be something about human nature because that's how Ponzi schemes and multi-level marketing scams hook people in, too.

A lot of people are like that.  Mr. Funky will hate-watch TV shows that he once loved, and complain about it, all because "Well, I'm in it this far, I might as well finish it".  Drives me nuts.  Still, I think he'd wise-up about something like Scamatology.

• Love 3
13 hours ago, 3girlsforus said:

Well I think they are feeling at least some desperation. Recently a friend of mine received an invitation in the mail  to an ‘anti drug’ seminar run by the COS. It was addressed to her DOG!!! LOL

To be fair, does her dog have a problem with biscuits or chew toys?  I mean you start with a piece of kibble here and there and it can get away from you in a hurry.........

• LOL 1
  • Love 12
13 hours ago, 3girlsforus said:

Obviously, in a previous life, the dog was a $cientologist.  

• Love 8
On ‎10‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 10:40 AM, italianguy626 said:

Thanks, one of my good friends from high school is a lawyer and he frequently presents cases to me to get my take on whatever the issues are, putting me in the role of "prospective jury member". He also explains "lawyer logic" to me as he says it can be different than everyday civilian logic.

Scamatology would really not want any case to go to trial. That's how the OTIII level and Xenu story got out. It was read into the trial record for the Fishman and Geertz case. IIRC, Scamatology tried to block it by claiming "trade secrets" but the judge in the case overruled and allowed the information to be in the public record of the trial. This was around the dawn of the world wide web, and the information quickly spread.

Arbitration is usually binding; mediation is not.

20 hours ago, bosawks said:

To be fair, does her dog have a problem with biscuits or chew toys?  I mean you start with a piece of kibble here and there and it can get away from you in a hurry.........

Hopefully they will develop a similar program for cats. Maybe I'll finally break my cats' catnip addiction.