Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E07: Magic to Make the Sanest Man Go Mad

• Start Topic

One missed opportunity: we never see Stammetts trying to convince or work with his partner, Dr. Culber. At first, that seems like a glaring omission, or a convenient oversight so the writers can concentrate on Michael. A quick line would have fixed that poignantly: "I can't watch him die any more."

It's true, I was actually waiting for that but they chose to go a more comedic way. It's too bad because, as you said, it was a missed oppurtunity to give the character more depth. I mean, he'd been looping for about - what, don't make me do math, kids - 25 hours? Maybe he was in denial. I just hope we stir away a little bit from Michael's POV as the show progresses. I know this was the premise, but you miss out on so much when you only focus on one character. Come to think of it, they did give Lorca a bit more depth with his PTSD and his admiral friend. So.

Also, I didn't want to bring it up last time because noone wants to look like a jealous h8ter but Burnam's running style is seriously... floaty? What do Vulcans know about running that we don't?

• Love 3
12 hours ago, dwmarch said:

The communication protocols of the captain's chair are a non-essential system? I guess this ship really was commissioned by Admiral Don Geevasheet at the Dafuq Fleet Yards!

That was the most nonsensical to me especially because in 1 time loop, as soon as Saru failed to take back control using his 1st Officer panel, Lorca immediately tried to override via his captain chair console.  Meaning captain chair had higher access level  than 1st officer's panel, which it should.  Either that, or they are splitting hair between the comm button vs the other buttons on captain's chair :P

Other than that, this was a pretty amusing episode ;)

15 hours ago, Unusual Suspect said:

Though, really, given what they said about the Gormagander, shouldn't it be space Panda? Or is that a sad reality that there are no Pandas?

Well. we do know there aren't any humpback whales left at least according to Star Trek IV. It might be a reference to that. 

• Love 2
35 minutes ago, Ely said:

Also, I didn't want to bring it up last time because noone wants to look like a jealous h8ter but Burnam's running style is seriously... floaty? What do Vulcans know about running that we don't?

Bahahahaha!

Thanks for brining it up. I thought almost the same thing.

Her "floaty" strides made poor Tilly come off like a King Kong foot stomper in comparison.

Edited by CanadaPhil
  • Love 1

Well, I suppose Burnham got used to running on Vulcan, where gravity is stronger -- hence running at earth-normal gravity feels floaty to her?

I'm imagining various Captains, upon encountering an endangered species:

Kirk: Gotta pretend to care for a second or two . . . nah, don't care.

Picard: I'm deeply interested. Let's learn about the history and biology of this species.

Janeway: Let me adopt it as a new member of my crew.

Archer: I wonder if it wants to play with my beagle . . .

Lorca: Can I weaponize it? If not, don't care.

So, Lorca comes off looking a bit uncouth in comparison to Picard, but really, who among us doesn't? In comparison with the other captains, he's just more honest and practical about his attitude. (Yeah, I know, I skipped Sisko -- nothing funny popped to mind ;-)

Edited by tpel
  • LOL 1
  • Love 6
21 minutes ago, tpel said:

Well, I suppose Burnham got used to running on Vulcan, where gravity is stronger -- hence running at earth-normal gravity feels floaty to her?

T'Pol has a similar weird stride when she ran, so...continuity, I guess?

Without getting into politics, I'm glad that we now live in a world where Wyclef, Al Green, and the Bee Gees have entries on Memory Alpha.

Maybe it's as simple as something Joseph Sisko said a long time again:  Even in the darkest moments, you can always find something that'll make you smile.

• Love 3

Maybe its just because I spent the weekend watching Stranger Things, but the second I saw the space whale, my first thought was "Oh shit, its a Demogorgon! Someone find a bat wrapped with nails ASAP!" 

For as darker and edgier that this show is, I enjoyed this episode very much, it was light, but had enough real stakes that I cared about what was happening, and it had nice character moments from most of the main characters. Even beyond being a Trek staple (those lousy time loops! They're freaking everywhere!) Can I just say, I love that this show seems to say that other types of music besides jazz and classical music survived to Starfleet? The Star Trek future has clearly been missing out on soul/house/70s rock up until this point. I always hated the idea that some genres of music are "beneath" humanity in the future, or are just lost and forgotten, so its good to see that more kinds of music survived. You know, music to rock out to and hit on guitar players to.  As did beer pong, as it turns out. Now I just imagine that the TNG main cast were all upstairs listening to classical music and playing chess while the rest of the crew were doing shots and singing along to the Stayin Alive soundtrack off screen. 

I really hope that Ash isn't an undercover Klingon, because I seriously adore the guy. He is just such a decent person, and I think he has a lot of potential as a character going forward. Also, he and Michael are looking like a smokin match. Them slow dancing to an Al Green song while talking all quietly? Damn, that was electric. Also, I love that in the background there was a f/f/ couple dancing together alongside the f/m couples, and it wasn't a big deal or anything. 

Really great episode for Stamets, and Anthony Rapp did a great job throughout. It was mostly played for laughs, but I did also get his frustration and mounting anger over the situation. Plus, he and Michael are a lot of fun, especially when they were dancing together. As someone else said, I could totally see, right then, what his boyfriend sees in him. Also, he seemed to be "sobering" up from his spore high a bit by the end, I wonder if he will officially get back to normal soon? This constant connection to the spores cant be healthy long term. 

I was skeptical at first, but I really like Rain Wilson as Harry Mudd. He has the cocky air that the original had, but has more of an obvious sinister side. He`s fun, but also a real threat for the heroes to deal with. Him killing Lorca over and over was hilarious in how petty it was. 

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

Really great episode for Stamets, and Anthony Rapp did a great job throughout. It was mostly played for laughs, but I did also get his frustration and mounting anger over the situation.

"If I have to explain myself again, I'm going to throw myself out of an airlock."

• Love 4

Loved this episode. While the time loop phenomenon is not novel, it still worked for me. Stamets was the star of this one for me - I just loved every moment with him! Especially the story of how he met his partner, and how he said, "I'm sorry" to Michael when she whispered her secret to him - that she'd never been in love. I do hope a bit of his snarky self shows up again, but I don't want him to be solely one personality or the other. 

Tilly was amazing - she looked fantastic and showed none of the social awkwardness she did in earlier episodes - why, she far surpassed Michael in that regard! 

I hate Mudd. I don't remember him from TOS, even though my husband (who has TOS memorized) has explained him to me several times. I seriously wish they'd killed him but of course that's not possible. I wish at least someone had kicked him in the shins or something! I'm sure he'll show up again, but I don't look forward to that. This was more than enough of him for a while. 

I assumed Ash would be Michael's love interest from the first moment that Tilly kicked Michael under the table to urge Michael to shake his hand when they first met. No surprise there - but I liked their dance and kiss. I hope Michael continues to work through her feelings about him, and about loving and caring for someone on a human level.

I love that Al Green song so much, "Love and Happiness." Brings me right back to my youth! 

Overall, an engaging episode for me - really got a lot out of it. 

• Love 1

I also really liked Lorca in this episode, even if he was more in the background this week. I loved his reactions to the space whale being basically "fine, get the freaking fish and take it wherever, lets get this over with" and his utter disdain for Harry Mudd. Every time he looked at him, you could just imagine him picturing him crushing his head with his fingers. 

Tilly looked great with her hair all down, and she is quite the cheerful drunk apparently! Tilly is so the girl who gets drunk at a bar and ends the night sitting in the women's room complimenting every single person who walks in and announcing that they're all best friends now. 

• Love 3
5 hours ago, tpel said:

So, Lorca comes off looking a bit uncouth in comparison to Picard, but really, who among us doesn't? In comparison with the other captains, he's just more honest and practical about his attitude. (Yeah, I know, I skipped Sisko -- nothing funny popped to mind ;-)

I feel like Sisko would be all"Look at this rare thing of beauty, lets enjoy it for a moment,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, now lets get back to fucking with Dukat"

So sort of halfway between  Lorca and Picard, very warrior prophet. Sisko liked African art and building Bajoran light ships and he also liked kicking ass. I have a feeling he would have liked Lorca better then Picard though. (Locutus aside Picard and Sisko are very different people).

1 hour ago, Biggie B said:

I love that Al Green song so much, "Love and Happiness." Brings me right back to my youth! 

Overall, an engaging episode for me - really got a lot out of it. 

I really loved the music in the episode that song was perfect for the moment and I have no trouble believing that song is still played several hundred years from now. The Wyclef Jean seemed a little modern at first but the Staying Alive  cue got funnier  with each repeat. It also worked surprisingly well as a background for Tyler's speech.

I also really like Tyler and he and Micheal are totally cute. I haven't liked a scifi couple this much in a long time. I really hope he not a Kilingon Ash Tyler is actually a pretty awesome character in his own right.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, tennisgurl said:

I also really liked Lorca in this episode, even if he was more in the background this week. I loved his reactions to the space whale being basically "fine, get the freaking fish and take it wherever, lets get this over with" and his utter disdain for Harry Mudd. Every time he looked at him, you could just imagine him picturing him crushing his head with his fingers. 

Yeah, his expressions and low key reactions are always a delight, even when he's not center stage. I liked his response to how the gormagander was so consumed with finding nourishment that it forgot to reproduce, "That's as depressing a trait as I've ever heard of." Then he was happy to delegate dealing with the creature to Burnham or Tyler . . . or anyone, really, 'cause he didn't care. One might think that Lorca would be hard to work for, given that he's at least borderline evil-and-crazy, but I bet it's not so bad most of the time. He's really clear about what he cares about and what he doesn't care about. He'll be a hard-ass about the former, but pretty mellow about the rest. Wild party below deck? No problem. Less than optimal performance on tactical drills? Problem.

With regard to the gormagander, I also loved how Michael talked to it when it was first beamed aboard. She addressed it, "Alright, sweet girl . . ." Taken along with her attitude toward the tardigrade, this constitutes an endearing character trait.

• Love 11
2 hours ago, Emily Thrace said:

So sort of halfway between  Lorca and Picard, very warrior prophet. Sisko liked African art and building Bajoran light ships and he also liked kicking ass. I have a feeling he would have liked Lorca better then Picard though. (Locutus aside Picard and Sisko are very different people).

I can see Sisko getting along alright with Lorca, certainly better than Picard would. Sisko was also a war time captain who made morally grey choices and liked to kick ass, in much the same way Lorca does. However, Lorca is WAY more prickly than Sisko usually was. He could be a hardass, but he was also warm and fatherly. But they certainly would have gotten along better than Lorca and Picard would. They would take one look at each other and start sniping at each other. 

I would actually like to see Lorca meet up with Kirk. Now that would be interesting. 

I'm with others that thought they dropped the ball at the end of the episode. They tried to twist the ending into a comedy ala TOS. It was like we were all supposed to have remembered the other Harry Mudd and apply his less psychotic personality to the version Rainn Wilson was portraying, and just laugh along. Anyone that gleefully kills not only the Captain who he has the personal grudge with but other various crew members too, in the most agonizing ways he can find, over and over, with no remorse, should be locked up. It should have ended with him floating away in a prison ship with the name Stella stamped on the side.  He would have been a more compelling returning character with a story of how he escaped the next time we saw him, even more pissed and crazy.

But if they were going to end the episode in the same manner as TOS, why not follow through all the way and have his wife be a less than pretty looking nag? They completely missed the punchline, after setting it up for almost an hour. Its her father's money he obviously is attracted to, so he has to bite his lip and be faithful. So why is this psychopath rewarded for his mass murdering with a hot, rich wife that seems crazy about him?  Somethings not right with the universe.

Edited by allthatglitters
  • Love 11

So, Lorca comes off looking a bit uncouth in comparison to Picard, but really, who among us doesn't? In comparison with the other captains, he's just more honest and practical about his attitude.

I was appalled by Lorca in first few episodes because he was such an non-captain until I figured since Michael's the main character it is probably her who is the moral compass of the show and not - as per tradition - the captain. Now that I don't expect him to Picard or Janeway or Sisco I enjoy him. He's still a bit of an ahole but I'd want him beside me in battle. 

With regard to the gormagander, I also loved how Michael talked to it when it was first beamed aboard. She addressed it, "Alright, sweet girl . . ." Taken along with her attitude toward the tardigrade, this constitutes an endearing character trait.

That was another nice moment. And, again, refreshingly human.

• Love 4

There was a moment in Halt and Catch Fire's finale a couple of weeks ago when I wondered why they didn't use Staying Alive as the musical cue. (It would've been dead on, no pun intended.) Now I know why. The ST: Discovery people got the rights first.  ;-)

Ash said he was a good dancer. I believe it. Michael, girl, you better go get your man.

4 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

Ash said he was a good dancer. I believe it. Michael, girl, you better go get your man.

So besides speech therapy and accent reduction classes, "Ash/Voq" got a "Johnny Mnemonic" download of late 20th century pop culture????....more evidence that Ash is NOT a Klingon spy..... 

What to do with Mudd at the end? He has certainly shown himself to be a psychopath, ready to kill for fun . . . but nobody is actually dead after it's all over. They can't charge him with murder. Maybe attempted murder? And, of course, many lesser charges like assault, conspiracy, etc. Honestly, it doesn't bother me that much that Mudd was sent off to an apparently light punishment, since we know that a decade from now Stella will be the stuff of nightmares for him. Not that she is necessarily a terrible person, but, to Mudd, a monogamous relationship with her = hell. My only concern is that not locking him up in some way means he could sell information about the Discovery to the klingons -- whatever he learned about the spore drive, including the fact that it has a human component. The klingons already know that Discovery has some kind of new technology. Rough specs wouldn't fetch the same price as the ship itself, but letting this information fall into the klingons' hands would be very bad.

19 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

I also really liked Lorca in this episode, even if he was more in the background this week. I loved his reactions to the space whale being basically "fine, get the freaking fish and take it wherever, lets get this over with" and his utter disdain for Harry Mudd. Every time he looked at him, you could just imagine him picturing him crushing his head with his fingers

The Mudd-hate is definitely evident in the scene near the end when Lorca has to hand over his ship to "Captain Mudd". He keeps it under wraps pretty well, but you know he's got a "Mudd Murder Montage" playing on a loop in his head all the while!

• Love 2
1 hour ago, tpel said:

What to do with Mudd at the end?  They can't charge him with murder. Maybe attempted murder? And, of course, many lesser charges like assault, conspiracy, etc.

Cruelty to animals....

• Like 1
3 hours ago, paigow said:

So besides speech therapy and accent reduction classes, "Ash/Voq" got a "Johnny Mnemonic" download of late 20th century pop culture????....more evidence that Ash is NOT a Klingon spy..... 

Wish I understood this Johnny Mnemonic reference. Never saw the movie; never read the short story.

1 minute ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

Wish I understood this Johnny Mnemonic reference. Never saw the movie; never read the short story.

Predating "The Matrix", some humans had quasi-USB ports built into their brains for direct connection to laptops / desktops.

Johnny was one of these brain couriers, carrying huge amounts of secret data that should not be transferred over data networks. Keanu Rules!

• Love 2

Who are the "Time Crystal" entities? What could Mudd possibly have that they wanted? They can steal anything, anywhere, anytime... Unless Mudd stole it from them, but they could reset time and kill him.... 

[Interior: Discovery Turbolift]

Stamets: Burnham, do you realize that Mudd is running 30 minute time loops?

Burnham: No. But if we have been trapped for a year then...

Stamets & Burnham [in unison]: 525,600 minutes!!!

Culber & Ash: [in unison] I feel a song coming on....

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3
On 31/10/2017 at 6:58 PM, marinw said:

So what happened to the Admiral being held prisoner by the Klingons?

We will probably get a throwaway line at some point,  but I think she's toast.

• Love 1
On 10/30/2017 at 8:20 AM, Vandy10 said:

But really, they're making Ash so wonderful so it'll hurt all the more when he's revealed as Voq.

If that actually happens now, I will be very unhappy because they have shown him to be very caring and helpful several times.  I have a hard time believing that the Klingons are just that good at espionage to be able to behave so well as a human.  It will just strike me as a cheap and easy plot point shocker (a la 24), instead of something believable. 

Edited by AEMom
typo
  • Like 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, AEMom said:

..... I have a hard time believing that the Klingons are just that good at espionage to ge able to behave so well as a human.  It will just strike me as a cheap and easy plot point shocker (a la 24), instead of something believable. 

The showrunners are even being so cheeky with beating on this "what if" thing now that I am now convinced it will NOT happen.

I do believe there is going to be one Hell of a plot twist, but the Ash thing (if it happens) will completely derail what the show has built up so far as I think it will alienate (haha) a lot of viewers.

I am betting on my "Mirror Lorca" theory though. 

Here is another hint they dropped in case you missed it...

When Cornwell is reminiscing with Lorca over drinks, she brings up the story of their first sort of "date" and it appears to go right by Lorca!!... Cornwell is obviously very surprised in that moment and says... "You don't remember!??"... and Gabriel basically tries to fluff his reaction off.

FYI fellas.... If your former lover is getting misty eyed about old times and you don't even remember what she is talking about you are soooooooooo in the dog house!!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, starri said:

I believe she was in the preview for next week's episode.

I really hope she still has an important role to play in this series. I think she is a great character and I really want to see her help to fill in Gabriel's backstory.... whether or not we are dealing with "prime" or "mirror" Lorca. 

26 minutes ago, CanadaPhil said:

The showrunners are even being so cheeky with beating on this "what if" thing now that I am now convinced it will NOT happen.

I do believe there is going to be one Hell of a plot twist, but the Ash thing (if it happens) will completely derail what the show has built up so far as I think it will alienate (haha) a lot of viewers.

I am betting on my "Mirror Lorca" theory though.

I agree with you 100% about Ash, and as time goes on, I see more signs of Mirror Lorca as well. 

I'm the opposite. I feel like if Ash isn't Voq, I'm going to be disappointed. I see no reason to kill off Landry to open up a role for him if he's just Michael's love interest (well, I still see no reason to have killed off Landry and am bitter about it). I also don't think he's that interesting of a character on his own. I don't know if it would be accurate call him a Gary Stu, but he's in that direction. 

I don't know what canon establishes about Klingon's human impersonation abilities, but my current guess is that Ash is an implanted personality based on a real human. I agree that it's going to strain believability for Voq to be able to impersonate a human so flawlessly if there's no aid.

Rainn Wilson is phenomenal as Mudd. Mudd is not a character I had any interest in seeing, but for me,  the unexpected blend of comedic menace works well.

Like everyone else, Isaac's deliver of Lorca's "whatever" about the space whale cracked me up. I love little moments like that where it's clear an actor gets their character on a fundamental level.

• Love 4

They are certainly having fun with tormenting us about Ash. Something is definitely up with the guy but who knows what. I waited for Mudd to drop a hint since he knew Ash on the prison ship but we got nothing.

My money's still on a combo of a Final Five/Michael Kenmore plot.

Haven't posted here yet, but I must say, this was the best goddamn episode yet. I'm usually not a fan of Groundhog Day episodes except Stargate SG-1's, but this was fantastic. Excellent use of small changes and music. I love, love love, this episode. I like the transition of Michael and Tyler going through a romance. Her reaction to her feelings was perfect. She has no clue what to do about emotions and that is SO Vulcan.  Tilly is awesome as a best friend and I seriously like their relationship. Sonequa Martin-Green is knocking it out of the park as Michael Burnham. I hope this series receives a second season.  The only negative is those damn Klingons. They're so different than any other Klingon in any Star Trek franchise and their speech pattern sucks big-time.

• Love 1
On 10/30/2017 at 5:23 PM, tpel said:

I'm imagining various Captains, upon encountering an endangered species:

Kirk: Gotta pretend to care for a second or two . . . nah, don't care.

Picard: I'm deeply interested. Let's learn about the history and biology of this species.

Janeway: Let me adopt it as a new member of my crew.

Archer: I wonder if it wants to play with my beagle . . .

Lorca: Can I weaponize it? If not, don't care.

I have one for Sisko:  Is there a way the Dominion could use it against us...?  

Thank you for remembering Sisko. He seems to be the one that's always forgotten. After Archer, I liked Sisko the best.  Yes, I loved Enterprise and I'm not ashamed to admit it.  Lorca, I'm still reserving my judgment. He seems a little crude to me.

Edited by Jacks-Son

I didn't mean to slight Sisko :-)  In a way, being left off the list is a compliment. Sisko wasn't my favorite Captain, but he might be the most well-balanced human being of the bunch. Upon encountering a novel creature, he would be interested in it, but how far he took this interest would depend on what else is going on. If they're not too busy, he might want to take advantage of it as a learning opportunity for Jake. During the Dominion war, he had to make tough calls, and thus took on a bit of Lorca's attitude. But I don't recall him being in serious danger of losing himself, like Lorca is. 

9 hours ago, Jacks-Son said:

Lorca, I'm still reserving my judgment. He seems a little crude to me.

I'm fascinated by him, but am reserving judgement about whether he is ethically salvageable. I don't think I would have picked the term 'crude' to describe him, however, so I'm curious why you think he is crude.

2 hours ago, tpel said:

I'm fascinated by him, but am reserving judgement about whether he is ethically salvageable. I don't think I would have picked the term 'crude' to describe him, however, so I'm curious why you think he is crude.

Lorca is results-driven. He seems to be a bit of an asshole. His use of the Tardigrade was borderline cruel. Even when Michael and the doctor tried to explain the pain it was feeling, he simply didn't care. Although he relented towards the end and allowed Michael to free the Tardigrade, it was near death's door.

Edited by Jacks-Son
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, Jacks-Son said:

Lorca is results-driven. He seems to be a bit of an asshole. His use of the Tardigrade was borderline cruel. Even when Michael and the doctor tried to explain the pain it was feeling, he simply didn't care. Although he relented towards the end and allowed Michael to free the Tardigrade, it was near death's door.

I think you mixed that up a bit.

It was the Pink Giraffe that could care less about the Tardigrade. 

Lorca was being tortured at the time. 

Edited by CanadaPhil
  • Useful 1

I agree that he can be callous. In fact, it wasn't even Lorca who allowed Michael to free the Tardigrade, it was Saru. Saru noted that Lorca had not yet been cleared to resume command after his klingon-captivity, so Saru took advantage of that opportunity to allow Burnham to do right by the creature. I bet Lorca was not altogether pleased that his first officer permitted this, but we heard of no repercussions. To be fair to Lorca, the worst of the tardigrade's suffering only became apparent after Lorca had been captured -- that's when Michael was able to convince Culber and then Stamets to take its plight seriously, but Saru didn't want to hear about it. I thought that was an interesting narrative direction. I'm pretty sure that Lorca would have been willing to harm the tardigrade, if necessary to achieve his ends. Yet the writers chose to make Saru the "bad guy" in this instance. Perhaps watching Lorca push the painful exploitation of the creature would have made him too unlikable as a character, whereas the audience could tell that Saru's closed-mindedness on the issue was based on anxiety, and thus a bit more forgivable.

Speaking of painful exploitation of wildlife, I hope the gormagander came out of all this OK -- no thanks to Mudd!

Edited to add: Sorry -- there was a time lag in updating, so I didn't see CanadaPhil's explanation before I posted my now-redundant one :-)

Edited by tpel
  • Like 1

Don’t like Groundhog Day episodes. So much uninteresting repetition. 

Mudd is as annoying in the version of ST as he was in TOS. Can’t we find someone interesting from the past?

This ep felt like filler. 

So... is there some subtle message about mating in this episode?

Love Capt Lorca's "I don't give a damn [about this stupid environmental shit]!"

"Dance with me - for science!" Now THAT'S a chat up line I've never tried!

The Captain's chair is a non-critical system!?

My main problem with the episode - in Cause and Effect, they all had feelings of deja vu after multiple loops. In this only Stamets had the premonitions. Yet every time he can convince Michael they really are stuck in a loop - to the extent she was prepared to suicide to win!?

On ‎30‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 2:33 AM, DrScottie said:

Young Stella seemed a lot more pleasant than the one from TOS too. 

Wouldn't you be after 10 years of marriage to Harry Mudd (either version)? And the one in TOS was an android, IIRC (several, when we last see Harry).

On ‎30‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 7:55 AM, KimberStormer said:

But what's refreshing is they always believe the Only One Who Can See, and run tests and diagnostics until they've exhausted all possible angles to what might be happening.  But alas, in this episode they have to resort to some extremely complicated and bizarre rigamarole to make people believe Stamets

My favourite example of that is actually in Stargate SG1, when after presenting some outrageous theory involving time loops or Parallel Universes (it may even be Window of Opportunity, their Groundhog Day episode), you get this dialogue:
General Hammond: "OK"
Carter "What, you believe us, Sir!?"
General Hammond "After what I've seen coming through that gate, yes!"

...though Hammond, unlike Captain Lorca, General Hammond HAD had rather more time to get to know them (and SG1 had saved the planet a couple of times, too). And the plot required us to believe that Stammets could always instantly convince Michael to the extent she is prepared to commit suicide merely because he knew she'd never been in love!? Lucky Mudd didn't go, "Well, the bounty on turning Michael Burnham over would be the icing on the cake, but the reward for selling the Discovery will be enough," or they'd all be screwed.

• Like 1
  • Love 1