Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E00: Joseph's Wedding

frenchtoast
  • Start Topic

28 minutes ago, debbie311 said:

Jim-Bob and Michelle having "the talk" with Joseph just minutes before the ceremony.  Um, wouldn't it have been better to have that talk days if not weeks before the wedding?  What if he had questions?  Hopefully there was something more that they just didn't show on the TV show.

this is a step-up for ole' JB.  when josh got married, I think it was the rehearsal day, Jim Bob gave Josh two books/dvd: "Before the Wedding Night" and "Staying in Love for a Lifetime," both by Dr. Ed Wheat.

Edited by sATL
  • Love 1
3 minutes ago, mythoughtis said:

Duggar family blog pictures show Josh as a groomsman. He’s cut out of the TLC ones. 

The blog also says Trace Bates was in the wedding - so maybe he is the dark haired gentleman people are wondering about. 

You're right it probably was Trace -- who is about that built and has a whole new look. Kelly had posted a pic of him with Joe Duggar - with Trace wearing the groomsmen suit/tie so yeah he was in the wedding.

• Love 1
29 minutes ago, SMama said:

So much for Joseph’s TH in tears stating he could not look up to Joshley any longer. Redemption tour is well underway. 

That was John David.

The thing I noticed is that of all the non-Duggar families involved in these weddings, I felt like the Caldwells got much more screentime, even as a family alone, than the Kellers, Seewalds, Dillards, and Forsyths (and maybe Vuolos, I didn't watch that wedding). Besides the fact that Pastor Caldwell was pulling double-duty, I honestly wondered if it was because they are just more photogenic than the other in-laws. Like, the Caldwell parents are just not awkward on TV at all!

• Love 9

My DVR did not record the wedding.  I LOVE hate watching.  I'm so annoyed.  Any links for me to watch???  

My little kids, teens and young adults all call me "mommy" or sometimes "ma".  "Mommy" seems to have stuck. 

Years ago, I think it was a bit more odd but with the influence of various languages who use "mami" , "mama" and even "ama", it sounds way more common to hear "mommy".   

• Love 1
2 hours ago, cereality said:

I think the wedding talk with the sons (Joseph's -- be open with your wife; and Joshly's -it's like legos) is a way for the Duggar parents to show TLC and the viewers how relevant they are to their sons' marriages. It serves opposite the natural -- OMG I'm giving MY possession to another man -- talk that is had moments before a daughter's wedding. Reality is most men figure out marriage without mama and daddy explaining it to them 5 minutes before the wedding. Frankly if you have as perfect of a marriage and home life as JB and Michelle claim to have, there is nothing to explain whatsoever bc in the 22 yrs of living with you, the son knows how a marriage works. And in families where the parents may speak up regarding sons' relationships -- often in conservative homes where the parents know the son has no experience with girls or in cases where the parents know their son doesn't have many guy friends to talk with -- I'm fairly positive those talks start happening when a relationship starts, not 5 min before the vows. In this case, wouldn't it have made sense for JB to sit down with Joe when he started the get to know you period or was about to take get-to-know-you into a courtship and said -- son she's a nice girl and I think she digs you but you're a quiet guy and you should make sure she knows how you feel about her; you need to speak your feelings in words and not just assume she's a mind reader . . . . It's actually useful advice that can help through a get-to-know you and courtship, not just a marriage. I feel like we've seen the Bates say these kinds of things WAY before the wedding. Can't recall exactly but they were recently talking to one of their overly exuberant (read: obnoxious) middle daughters who is newly courting about how she needs to learn how her courter communicates and he needs to learn how she communicates and they need to see if it works for them (i.e. let your obnoxiousness be known now; we don't want you to chase him away but better for him to bow out now than for you to keep sweet, you get married, and you two hate each other in 3 months when true colors come out). They did the same with Nathan -- talking to him about really thinking about whether New Yorker Ashley would be able to adjust to BFE Tenn. or whether he could handle NYC or whether there was some other compromise or whether the life situations just couldn't mesh. They didn't say it 15 min before a wedding! They said it early enough so that the couple could think hard and move their separate ways . . . .

Very good points. And, yep, that'd be the way they'd do it if JB and M actually, you know, gave a crap whether the kids had good relationships or not.  Or, you know, knew anything about good relationships. Or about their kids. 

But since all they actually care about is getting  a TeeVee moment (that might get them some more Christian speaking engagements down the road? or... gasp! ... a return to the SHOW???) this ridiculous, useless purposeless TeeVee moment of grandstanding actually serves their purposes very well, thank you. 

• Love 5

Did anyone have the same picture in mind that I did during hot dad Caldwell's speech of -paraphrased-dont hurt my daughter or I'll come after you and kill you; that everyone was thinking "JOSH!!".

• Love 5

I liked that Kendra and Joe didn't spend all day together before the wedding like all the Duggar brides. They seem like a sweet couple albeit a bit dull.  

My husband came in during Pastor Caldwell's father speech and said "did her dad write that for her before he died or something?"   And I was like "um that is her dad" and he was genuinely shocked and said he thought it was her brother giving her away.  Her parents do look super young and are basically my age! We only have a 3 year old (we started late) but  I can't imagine having a child of marrying age

• Love 5

Regarding “Mommy” and “Daddy”, I called my parents that for a while when I was around Kendra’s age. Well, actually I called them “Mommy Dearest” and “Daddy Dearest” until my mom finally got the reference. She was not amused. 

• Love 19

The whole Daddy's girl, and the 200 I luv you Daddy thing was over the top.  Way over the top.  I felt uncomfortable watching and listening to Kendra going on to daddy.  Why did she ignore mommy?

Being Big Pregnant hasn't slowed down loud, bossy Joy.  She was the loudest when the lights went out, and did you see how quickly she chased the get away car, hooting the loudest?

Michelle is very hunched over and had difficulty desending the stairs after Family prayers on the stage.

Justin was adorable, Spurgeon was fussy during church.

• Love 3

I'm watching it now on demand and dude, Joe had a bit of a hard time controlling his expression when Jim Boob had to come in and gather the boys around for his speechifying praying. I actually rewound it twice just to watch the flinch.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Janarella said:

Not the same guy, but they **do** look a lot alike. Perhaps a clue that he's a Forsythe relative. 

I think that's Jacob W maybe who people thought was courting Jana, and then he very publicly denied it.

Kendra's nervous giggle finally got to me. What bugs is that she never actually laughs. It's all that little giggle. I was fine with it until she was still giggling with her dad.

The "give me a kiss" when he lifted her veil was uncomfortable to me. It was odd that she had to ask and odd that he said "not now." [or whatever he said]

Agree with all who said Jana's everyone's mom. Also, she gets it done, doesn't she? Sewing a dress on the floor barefoot. Hiding Joe's injury. 

• Love 16

I liked that Joe wrote the letters to his siblings, he seems rather thoughtful. 

The daddy’s little girl stuff was laid on way too thick, especially that god awful song. 

Michelle’s outfit was her best attempt yet. 

Edited by Kokapetl
  • Love 13

I feel bad for Kendra.

Not only was she stuck with a huge number of  bridesmaids and groomsmen that she might not have wanted, she was also stuck with Ms Renee and Ms Cindy. And  1000 or so guests that she has no clue who they are. And her parents had to feed all those people!! This was her big day, not just a Duggar day.

Is it impossible for the Duggar females  to have nice shoes ? I'm mean seriously. They looked awful, all of them.

The flowers were so messy looking. Why is there always a crisis with that lady and her flowers and decorating? Again, Kendra didn't get to pick any of that out.

Joy is annoying and huge.

• Love 20
3 hours ago, PuhLeeze said:

Kendra's nervous giggle finally got to me. What bugs is that she never actually laughs. It's all that little giggle. I was fine with it until she was still giggling with her dad.

The "give me a kiss" when he lifted her veil was uncomfortable to me. It was odd that she had to ask and odd that he said "not now." [or whatever he said]

Agree with all who said Jana's everyone's mom. Also, she gets it done, doesn't she? Sewing a dress on the floor barefoot. Hiding Joe's injury. 

So glad that wasn't just me! That and the first look for Daddy, but not Joe, came across as creepy rather than the sweet I assume she was going for.

3 hours ago, Kokapetl said:

I liked that Joe wrote the letters to his siblings, he seems rather thoughtful. 

The daddy’s little girl stuff was laid on way too thick, especially that god awful song. 

Michelle’s outfit was her best attempt yet. 

Was that the vocal "treat" courtesy of Lawson Bates (or whoever the alleged singer is in the family), accompanied by Erin? I noticed neither were shown.

• Love 2

I'm quite convinced that the TTH is a dirty, smelly mess of a place. Those boy are packed in there like sardines in a can. THREE tiered bunk beds? They are all slobs and it starts with the parents. I'm sure they all don't shower daily either. This is why Jessa's house is what it is...I'm sure Jill isn't far behind..if she could stay in one place long enough.

• Love 13

I feel bad sharing this but you know this is what we do here right?

From the first time I saw Kendra and ever since, she seems like a sweet girl but so creepy -------and her mouth I mean her teeth are just over the top. And her giggle yes is just maddening. Her dad is so good looking and so young looking. Then I have to remind myself that they likely married at around 18 or so and then had their babies so of course he looks young. The dad actually said NOT YET when she said Kiss me Daddy.  You know he had to make his whole speech.

To me, she exemplifies the role the girls are hoped to play. Meek, timid, all depending on the MAN.

I did think Michelle looked better than usual ; at least it looks like she is combing her hair and maybe even using some product. Remember how their hair all looked way back?

• Love 8

Kendra is still so young to marry that she still has her 'baby face'...yes, she has an unusually square/pumpkin shaped face and it's still chubby with baby fat. Her body is just fine, just baby fat on her face. I highly doubt that she was prepared, trained and ready to marry, run a household and have babies asap. Her family's home is quite nice, neat and organized looking from what I remember of the episode. Perhaps not having 19 children running around unsupervised is the reason. Hopefully, she has some skills and gets her hair out of the way in the kitchen when she's cooking.

• Love 13
2 hours ago, Turquoise said:

So glad that wasn't just me! That and the first look for Daddy, but not Joe, came across as creepy rather than the sweet I assume she was going for.

Was that the vocal "treat" courtesy of Lawson Bates (or whoever the alleged singer is in the family), accompanied by Erin? I noticed neither were shown.

I was wondering the same thing. Who was that "singer" belting out that song. He hit that high note, or tried, and it sounded like someone got their foot run over by an 18-wheeler.

• Love 9
9 hours ago, EVS said:

Regarding “Mommy” and “Daddy”, I called my parents that for a while when I was around Kendra’s age. Well, actually I called them “Mommy Dearest” and “Daddy Dearest” until my mom finally got the reference. She was not amused. 

I grew up speaking Polish, so they were Mama and Tata in my earlier childhood. Around high school, when I was speaking more English than Polish around the house (though they always continued to speak Polish to me), I transitioned to Mother and Father in a sort of essentially ironic tone, though somehow it became comfortable during that time period. Eventually it smoothed back out to just Mom and Dad, especially after I got married, as that's how my husband referred to them as well.

• Love 2

You know, I agree with all the speculation about Joy and the pregnancy- but, I have a bit of a wonder about Austin who appears so strait-laced and prim.  Is that his act for the teevee show?  But in person in real life with no cameras he is a horn dog and forgets his religious teachings?  And I have always speculated myself that the chaperones are more for the teevee show and maybe only sporadic in real life.

• Love 3

My thoughts:

I called my father 'Dad", but when referring to him with my siblings I called him 'Daddy"  Never did that with my mother though.  She was always "Mom".

Michelle looked the best I've ever seen her.

Kendra's parents are so young looking!

Joy looks way more than 3 1/2 months along...way more!

• Love 4

Kendra asking her dad for a kiss when he lifted her veil was creepy.

Regarding the flowers: Miss Cindy saying she was used to doing weddings for the Duggar daughters, this one was different because it was for Joe and she didn't really know Kendra.  Then why didn't she have a meeting with Kendra, get to know her and what she likes and wanted for HER wedding?  Of course Kendra could have requested such a meeting, but I get the feeling she is very immature and inexperienced and just went along with the program.  That being said, her (Kendra's) own mother and father could have certainly discussed what they wanted for their daughter's wedding.

They're all just so weird.

• Love 22
On 10/24/2017 at 8:28 AM, flyingdi said:

This is the first wedding where it seemed legitimately odd not to see Josh for some reason.  Maybe it was because Joseph was Josh's only buddy if I am remembering correctly?

Its not that I want to see Josh, it just seemed odd.

Maybe because of all the weddings so far, Joe is the only one that Josh didn't diddle with.  

Jana, we appreciate you.  Your parents are shitty to you, but we see what's going on.

What was up with Pastor Caldwell telling Kendra "not now" when she asked for a kiss?  That was awkward.

"Daddy" is definitely a regional thing.  Mr. ShaNaeNae grew up in a small town in south Texas and says "momma and daddy".  I'll say "my dad...".  He doesn't even use "my".  It's just "daddy called".  It sounds semi-normal with a southern accent.  

• Love 8

I think Kendra was trying to stick to the tradition of the father lifting the veil and kissing the bride. But then handsome man pulled out a phone speech that Kendra didn’t seem to know about. 

Isn't it likely that the Duggars paid for the wedding? The Caldwells seem to live very modestly. And JB had to make sure it looked good. 

So how many kids in Kendra’s family? Weird to see all those Duggar girls as bridesmaids (even Jenni!). But I guess Kendra’s sibling are pretty young. 

• Love 2
1 minute ago, EmeraldGirl said:

So how many kids in Kendra’s family? Weird to see all those Duggar girls as bridesmaids (even Jenni!). But I guess Kendra’s sibling are pretty young. 

Yeah, watching it, I was thinking.....That's a TLC paycheck for each Duggar kid in the wedding (probably directly to JB.)

• Love 2
9 hours ago, MsJamieDornan said:

Joy is annoying and huge.

12 hours ago, louannems said:

Being Big Pregnant hasn't slowed down loud, bossy Joy.  She was the loudest when the lights went out, and did you see how quickly she chased the get away car, hooting the loudest?

One thing I notice about the Duggar girls (with the exception of Jinger) is the very next wedding after their own, the last bride (in this case, Joy) loves to come in being the loud know-it-all.  Since getting married and being a mom is like a badge of honor for these people, the last bride likes to come in like an old vet of the wedding game.  "I remember when it was my wedding...now look at me, all plump and pregnant.  For eternity.  Look at these young'ins..."  Jill did it at Jessa's.  Jessa did it at Jingers.  Now Joy at JKendras.

• Love 22

You know, I agree with all the speculation about Joy and the pregnancy- but, I have a bit of a wonder about Austin who appears so strait-laced and prim.  Is that his act for the teevee show?  But in person in real life with no cameras he is a horn dog and forgets his religious teachings?

I think there was a little something going on at the camping trip.  The next morning Austin looked right into the camera and gave a little smirk.

• Love 8
4 hours ago, Annb67 said:

I was wondering the same thing. Who was that "singer" belting out that song. He hit that high note, or tried, and it sounded like someone got their foot run over by an 18-wheeler.

Yeah, sounds like that would have been Lawson. ;  )

13 hours ago, MichaelaRae said:

I'm watching it now on demand and dude, Joe had a bit of a hard time controlling his expression when Jim Boob had to come in and gather the boys around for his speechifying praying. I actually rewound it twice just to watch the flinch.

I really don't want to watch again so can you tell me what his expression was like? Thanks! ?

• Love 2
On 10/23/2017 at 8:50 PM, SuzyLee said:

Okay, we still have 10 minutes left and I am very finished with the giggles every two minutes.  May the good Lord lay it on her heart to fix that goddamn laugh. 

I pray that she has an Erin Bates transformation.  (she had a REALLY horrible baby voice until she got married)

On 10/23/2017 at 9:12 PM, flyingdi said:

Why do they always pull elaborate pranks at the boys weddings but not at the girls?

Because they know the girls will likely chop off their balls if they pull any of that at THEIR wedding.  

I never did understand the fake lost ring thing.... it's just dumb. And didn't they do that at josh's wedding too?  Dudes.. you need new material. 

On 10/23/2017 at 9:33 PM, yogi2014L said:

I was legitimately distracted by how young and attractive Kendra's parents are lol

uhhh yea, kendra's dad is HOT.  

On 10/23/2017 at 9:35 PM, sheshark said:

Joy went from a pretty (although messy) bride to a frump in 3 1/2 months.  Why the glasses, Joy.  And the awful shoes on everyone except Kendra, as well as Jana and Jinger.  Those two looked like they were from another place entirely, just so gorgeous.

Some people mentioned in Joy's thread that maybe pregnancy has effected her eyesight and she can't wear contacts. Someone seemed to have that issue while being pregnant and though Joy was maybe experiencing the same thing.

On 10/24/2017 at 10:21 AM, JillyMuffin Duggar said:

Oddly enough not every sibling WANTS to be a member of the wedding party. I was asked to be in my twin sister's wedding and declined

I also declined to be in my brother's wedding.  I've been in plenty of weddings and all I wanted to do was enjoy myself like every normal guest. I wasn't officially asked but my SIL i guess had asked my parents if I would care either way so I could have been in it if I wanted, but she already had like 6 or 7 bridesmaids to my brothers 3 (his best friend and my nephews). 

13 hours ago, PuhLeeze said:

I can't believe it took 3 pages for someone to comment about this.  This was the main thing I was coming to comment about.  That was just....really weird. You tell your husband/wife/partner/whatever to kiss you when you're nervous.  Not your dad!

All of her interactions with her dad were more like you would see with a bride/groom.  

• Love 10
4 hours ago, EmeraldGirl said:

I think Kendra was trying to stick to the tradition of the father lifting the veil and kissing the bride. But then handsome man pulled out a phone speech that Kendra didn’t seem to know about. 

Isn't it likely that the Duggars paid for the wedding? The Caldwells seem to live very modestly. And JB had to make sure it looked good. 

Seven (including Kendra), but most of them are young and boys.

The Caldwells probably live like every other family in this lifestyle (and lots of other people too). They scrimp and save and try to be "modest" about money unless there's something they want to spend it on.  TLC probably paid for a lot of it, and the Duggars got other things comped (like the dress). I doubt the Duggars spent too much themselves. I got see JB going on about how they're all about tradition and traditionally the bride's family pays. 

Edited by Temperance
  • Love 5

It's not really weird that Kendra was telling her "daddy" he was supposed to kiss her.  Usually they tell the bride's father and bride at the REHEARSAL the night before  that the father then kisses the bride and then hands her of to the groom.  She just assumed "daddy" had forgotten his part...

• Love 6
29 minutes ago, PradaKitty said:

It's not really weird that Kendra was telling her "daddy" he was supposed to kiss her.  Usually they tell the bride's father and bride at the REHEARSAL the night before  that the father then kisses the bride and then hands her of to the groom.  She just assumed "daddy" had forgotten his part...

Right, it seemed like a natural thing for a father to do--to give his daughter a peck on the cheek. It was odd that she had to ASK him and even odder that he said no.

eta: Holy moly! Joy looked way more pregnant than a honeymoon baby. Also, I switched from contacts to glasses when I was pregnant. It's been 30+ years, and I can't remember why contacts bothered me. I went back to contacts later. 

Edited by PuhLeeze
eta: Joy
  • Love 3

I wonder if Kendra giggling, which reminded me of a bunch of middle schoolers, continued during the wedding night, when the final act was about to start.

Edited by sATL
  • Love 5

the men's suits... is that look really in style - meaning it is very popular at formal wear stores and/or featured in bridal magazines? I'm not saying everyone needs a suit like Steve Harvey or Michal Strahan or any of the other men you see on the football pre-game/postgame shows. But something that this crew of men and their suit choice bugs me. And daddy JB been wearing the same one, right ?

Edited by sATL
  • Love 2
21 hours ago, louannems said:

I wonder if Austin has gotten to the point yet where he thinks, "What the fuck have I done?!"

• Love 12
On 10/24/2017 at 10:37 AM, PradaKitty said:

Kendra's "mommy" looks as though she could be one f the older Duggar girls!  As for Kendra's dress malfunction, didn't someone say that the ruffles from her "mommy's" dress was just stuck on? Stitch-witchery, perhaps? 

On 10/24/2017 at 5:53 PM, Kbo said:

Poor Cinderjana having to fix the bride's dress.  Didn't Miss Renee tweet something about adding that layer of her mother's dress at the last minute?  Can't believe she ironed it on.  Unless you're on Project Runway and you've got 10 minutes left, there's no excuse for that.  

I hauled my mom to Jo-Ann Fabrics the night before my sister's wedding to get Stitch-Witchery to tape the hell out of my sister's dress. She was young, poor, and stupid and bought a prom dress at an outlet store, paid to have the  actual dress hemmed, but not the other layers. My mom decided at like 5 that night to start trying to cut the many layers of whatever the hell tulle and liner were in there that were now like 3 inches longer than the dress. I hung the dress from the ceiling fan, she started hacking and then freaking out about having to hem shit. Nope, not happening. I dragged her to the store, we bought a couple of rolls, and then we went back and taped the hell out of hems. We told her after the wedding that we had taped it up and to not be surprised if tape started coming undone at some point. It actually held, but we used a ton. I wouldn't have used it on a dress that was going to be on TV, but for the basement of the Knights of Columbus hall, it was good enough for us! LOL!

Maybe I'm getting immune to Duggar nonsense, but I really like these two as a couple. Joe seems like a really good guy and Kendra seems cute too. I think they might be better matched than most of the rest of the marrieds, and if Joe can find a way to gravitate towards her family and away from his, they could stand a chance of actually being happy. I can only hope Joe gets some advice from Jinger and Jeremy instead of the rest. 

I just realized, did we see JD at all during this episode? I don't think I saw him interviewed once. 

• Love 11
2 hours ago, Fostersmom said:

I hauled my mom to Jo-Ann Fabrics the night before my sister's wedding to get Stitch-Witchery to tape the hell out of my sister's dress. She was young, poor, and stupid and bought a prom dress at an outlet store, paid to have the  actual dress hemmed, but not the other layers. My mom decided at like 5 that night to start trying to cut the many layers of whatever the hell tulle and liner were in there that were now like 3 inches longer than the dress. I hung the dress from the ceiling fan, she started hacking and then freaking out about having to hem shit. Nope, not happening. I dragged her to the store, we bought a couple of rolls, and then we went back and taped the hell out of hems. We told her after the wedding that we had taped it up and to not be surprised if tape started coming undone at some point. It actually held, but we used a ton. I wouldn't have used it on a dress that was going to be on TV, but for the basement of the Knights of Columbus hall, it was good enough for us! LOL!

Maybe I'm getting immune to Duggar nonsense, but I really like these two as a couple. Joe seems like a really good guy and Kendra seems cute too. I think they might be better matched than most of the rest of the marrieds, and if Joe can find a way to gravitate towards her family and away from his, they could stand a chance of actually being happy. I can only hope Joe gets some advice from Jinger and Jeremy instead of the rest. 

I just realized, did we see JD at all during this episode? I don't think I saw him interviewed once. 

I saw JD but I don't think he was interviewed, though. I noticed him because he was sitting off by himself when they were sitting in the folding chairs where the groomsmen and Joe were hanging out. Maybe he was disgusted that Joe and Kendra were forced to include Josh. 

Speaking of Josh, I saw a faceless blob in the same scene(s)...and I mean blob. Maybe Josh? 

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Fostersmom said:

I'd probably feel that way if they were at least three older (meaning particularly Kendra).

Joe probably will follow his parents' requests (like Be fruitful and multiply) since he probably isn't prepared to support her without some help.. 

• Love 1
On 10/25/2017 at 0:55 PM, Angeltoes said:

I think there was a little something going on at the camping trip.  The next morning Austin looked right into the camera and gave a little smirk.

or flipping that house?

Someone stayed with them ALL the time they worked????  No one did a Home Depot run for an hour? 

• Love 6