Type keyword(s) to search

S17.E06: A Little Slice of Hell

Drogo
  • Start Topic

The remaining chefs are given 30 minutes to create a pizza inspired by an assigned country. Later, during dinner service, Melissa Fumero and model Devon Windsor join as special guests, and while both teams struggle, one just can't keep up.

“While Jared is in triage, fighting for his life...”

Ha!  Never change, narrator guy.

Damn.  If the red team does well, that means Elise can’t go home.  I mean, she seriously said that even though she didn’t get a point, she didn’t lose either because Jared also didn’t get a point.  Shut your face.

• Love 7

Well, it looks like the women are finding a groove, as Jennifer said.

Most of the country-inspired pizzas looked really, really good.  I definitely would've eaten them.  I think all but Elise's "flatbread" and Giovanni's overly-burnt mess.  I don't think I'd have touched Jared's, either, actually.  I'm glad that the women won the challenge, though.  They've suffered so much that they deserve it.

The rewards really are getting way too simple now.  I totally wouldn't have minded that bus tour of Hollywood and seeing the Walk of Fame, but the magic show seemed way too cheap and simple to me.  But the punishment was funny, seeing the men just grouse like that.

From the beginning of service, I had a feeling the men were going to lose.  Too many of them had had confessionals, and the few the women had didn't feel like swan-song editing to me.  Honestly, other than one pasta mistake from Manda (I guess courtesy of Michelle, but Manda really should've seen with her own eyes that that pasta wasn't cooked), the women really didn't fuck up all that much tonight.  But there were plenty of mistakes among the men with Van, Giovanni, Benjamin, and Jared, with Robyn also making two of her own.  I thought it might be Van or Giovanni with the most potential to go home, at first.  Definitely didn't figure Robyn would, since she only messed up twice.

But then . . . Jared.  Ah, Jared.  Pulled a Gia from last season and faked a cut where there wasn't one.  Just like was said in Robyn's confessional after he got that cut, he only claimed needing the medic because he was going down in flames and panicking over it.  I had a pretty solid idea that he'd be at least nominated after that.  In the end, the men fucked up more than enough times that they were all thrown out of the kitchen.

When it came time for elimination, I knew that Jared getting nominated was a lock.  But I expected Van or Giovanni to get nominated with him.  Robyn got nominated simply because the men either don't like her, don't respect her, or both.  She really didn't cause them to lose tonight.  But I thought she sealed her fate by openly getting into that argument with Giovanni during elimination.  Luckily for her, Jared's faked emergency did him in, the way it would've done in Gia last season if Jessica hadn't essentially fallen on her sword.  But damn, was I ever not expecting this.  I knew that Jared wasn't getting a winner's edit by any stretch of the imagination, but I thought he'd at least get farther than this.  But at least he can go and see Ashley and commiserate over their way-too-early exits together.

But this is just crazy.  It's like the HK15 chefs have gone out in reverse order.  In that season, it was Manda, Jared, and Ashley.  This time, it's Ashley, Jared, and Manda, however long she lasts from here.

Good episode for me only because the women won both the challenge and the service.  Ramsay is right that they're definitely passing up the men in competence and performance.

On ‎11‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 8:58 PM, mojoween said:

Damn.  If the red team does well, that means Elise can’t go home.  I mean, she seriously said that even though she didn’t get a point, she didn’t lose either because Jared also didn’t get a point.  Shut your face.

Uh . . . what?  Technically, she was right about that.

And really, why so eager to see her gone so soon?  At least she can cook.  I don't care for her personality at all, but the cooking has saved her, absolutely.

Edited by Star Aristille
  • Love 2

I see they finally fixed the storeroom camera so that it wont shake every time Gordon slams the door lol

Since Robyn wants to go back to the Red team,Gordon shouldve granted her request and sent Elise over to the Blue team instead

• Love 2
9 hours ago, mojoween said:

“While Jared is in triage, fighting for his life...”

Ha!  Never change, narrator guy.

Funniest HK line evah!

• Love 5
7 hours ago, Star Aristille said:

Uh . . . what?  Technically, she was right about that.

And really, why so eager to see her gone so soon?  At least she can cook.  I don't care for her personality at all, but the cooking has saved her, absolutely.

Her cooking ability doesn't change her horrid personality or the fact that she is rude, judgmental and NOT a team player, unless it somehow suits her.  

I mean, reality TV is littered with corpses of contestants who are just like that, but it’s different with her because she’s just so rotten.  

• Love 6
4 hours ago, mojoween said:

Her cooking ability doesn't change her horrid personality or the fact that she is rude, judgmental and NOT a team player, unless it somehow suits her.  

I mean, reality TV is littered with corpses of contestants who are just like that, but it’s different with her because she’s just so rotten.  

I totally agree.  Aren't most larger kitchens brigade style?  Could you imagine working with her for 15 minutes without wanting to punch her face in?

• Love 7
3 hours ago, Sir RaiderDuck OMS said:

Wouldn't Manda's Celiac disease make Chef a poor career choice? Not being able to taste anything containing gluten would seem a considerable handicap...

I was just coming in to say the same. 

Also, since Gordon knows about Manda's celiac disease, why did he have her on spaghetti?

If I were on the Red Team, I'd be annoyed if one of my teammates needed the rest of us to interrupt our station work to taste her (or his) food. 

• Love 4

I agree.  It's one thing to have a physical disability that you overcome to cook - like Christine, the blind cook in Master Chef - and another to knowingly going into a competition where you know there are things you won't eat.  There are enough special editions of programs like Chopped where the menus are limited.  If you participate in HK you're jumping feet first into the lions' den.  

Edited by spiderpig
  • Love 3

Jared’s bleeding-to-death act was about the most pathetic thing I’ve seen in this show — where pathetic is du jour. 

At this point I’m trying to figure out who might actually win, and I’m having trouble identifying who from this crowd I’d want to cook food for me. 

• Love 1
34 minutes ago, DropTheSoap said:

At this point I’m trying to figure out who might actually win, and I’m having trouble identifying who from this crowd I’d want to cook food for me. 

Really?  I think there are plenty of people who've made delicious-looking things.  For the men, I can see myself liking Milly and Van's food, although confessional-wise, this week was not good for either one of them or their chances of winning.  I also think Nick's improved by leaps and bounds and could be a viable winner.  I just have to see how he does when and if he reaches the run-the-pass week.  He was terrible at that in HK14 and got booted largely from that performance.  I don't think Benjamin or Giovanni have much of a chance.

As for the women, I think any of Barbie, Dana, Jennifer, and Michelle all look like potential winners to me.  I've liked nearly all of their food, as well.  Elise is also a great cook, but her attitude will definitely keep Ramsay from giving her the win.  Really, only Manda is the standout "not going to win" contestant on their team.  She did a great job this week, but she's still their weakest member now.  Robyn is the weakest overall on both teams now that Josh is gone.  She isn't winning.

• Love 3

I think Gordon has a slightly sadistic way of putting people on stations where he knows they may struggle, but that’s his way of finding the best chef, I guess. I was sort of surprised Jared went down in flames so early, fighting for his life with that huge paper cut. LOL

• Love 4
18 hours ago, Sir RaiderDuck OMS said:

Wouldn't Manda's Celiac disease make Chef a poor career choice? Not being able to taste anything containing gluten would seem a considerable handicap...

Right? That's like a pilot being colorblind imo. I know this is gross but couldn't she just chew it and spit it out, I don't know much about Celiac disease but I would think as long as she doesn't ingest it she would be fine. 

I like Michelle.

• Love 1

You can tell if spaghetti is done by the way it looks when you stir it.  Amanda is a whiner.

Why was Robin asking Benjamin to tell her to drop scallops? Isn't announcing his time enough?

• Love 4
5 minutes ago, Drogo said:

You can tell if spaghetti is done by the way it looks when you stir it.  Amanda is a whiner.

Why was Robin asking Benjamin to tell her to drop scallops? Isn't announcing his time enough?

I've always tested my spaghetti by cutting it with a fork against the side of the pan.  I don't ever taste it to test it.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, AZChristian said:

I've always tested my spaghetti by cutting it with a fork against the side of the pan.  I don't ever taste it to test it.

Me too! If she’s really a chef (sometimes I have my doubts about these people) she should know how to do the same.

4 hours ago, Drogo said:

It should be, but this is Robin we’re talking about.

• Love 6
4 hours ago, cooksdelight said:

It should be, but this is Robin we’re talking about.

I don't think Robyn wanted to risk dropping her scallops too soon, which is why she needed confirmation.

Either way, it sounds like Benjamin's communication has been an issue for a while, yet they haven't been showing us that, for some reason.  If that's going to eventually lead up to his ouster, they should be showing his communication problems.

• Love 1

I'm so invested in this season that not only couldn't I remember if I watched this past Friday's episode, but I also couldn't remember who got the boot.  Or perhaps, the wrong end of the pitchfork.  Would love to see something on this show that doesn't go off true to script.

• Love 1
13 hours ago, Star Aristille said:

Either way, it sounds like Benjamin's communication has been an issue for a while, yet they haven't been showing us that, for some reason.  If that's going to eventually lead up to his ouster, they should be showing his communication problems.

The wacky way this show is edited, they’ll wait and lump it all into one episode.

On 11/12/2017 at 5:37 PM, Star Aristille said:

I thought the episode did a pretty good job showing that "Benjamin's communication issues" were a figment of Robyn's imagination. 

• Love 3
On 11/12/2017 at 8:16 AM, malaluna said:

Right? That's like a pilot being colorblind imo. I know this is gross but couldn't she just chew it and spit it out, I don't know much about Celiac disease but I would think as long as she doesn't ingest it she would be fine. 

I like Michelle.

No, that's not how celiac disease works.

• Love 2
On 11/11/2017 at 11:09 AM, Sir RaiderDuck OMS said:

Probably, but we've had high-end chefs who are vegetarian/vegan elsewhere. And they manage, even knowing how to tell when the meat is done without tasting.

I definitely remember a Top Chef contestant who was required to make a non-vegan dish, and served the protein live... basically saying "I won't kill, but, if you insist, have at it." Presumably a chef could create their own menu to their tastes (and, sink or swim because of it). 

On 11/11/2017 at 0:09 PM, Sir RaiderDuck OMS said:

Or it might be the impetus for her to open a restaurant or catering service for those who must eat gluten-free foods.  It seems to be a growing demographic.

• Love 1

I was so eager to see this episode that I finally got around to watching it tonight.  The announcer's line about Jared "fighting for his life" was hilarious and probably guaranteed Jared a place in whatever passes for infamy in Hell's Kitchen lore.  Now that he's gone, I don't mind any of the rest of the blue team too much (except Robin whom I loathe) although I think overall they're weaker than the women.  However, I'm still rooting for Milly.

OTOH I think the women are a stronger team but the only one I like is Jennifer.  Manda is obnoxious and they give her the lion's share of THs.  Maybe that's why.

• Love 3