Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E05: The Collaboration Contamination

Sheldon and Koothrappali confide in Bernadette when they can't handle Amy and Wolowitz working together. Also, Penny and Leonard learn new tactics for how to deal with Sheldon from an unlikely source.

Loved the Howard and Amy scenes, but I wish we could have gotten a callback to their shared love for Neil Diamond. What a missed opportunity.

I can't believe Sheldon fell for the Tom Sawyer "act like chores are fun" trick.

LOL at the Sheldon/Amy double entendre conversation.

• Love 19

I love Howard and Amy.  They need to do more stuff together.  I also loved Bernadette Tom Sawyering Sheldon.  He was happy. She to her house cleaned.  If Raj had kept his mouth shut, it would have been a win/win.  

I actually didn't like the Sheldon/Amy double entendre conversation.  Felt forced and uncharacteristic.

• Love 5
47 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

Loved the Howard and Amy scenes, but I wish we could have gotten a callback to their shared love for Neil Diamond. What a missed opportunity.

I can't believe Sheldon fell for the Tom Sawyer "act like chores are fun" trick.

LOL at the Sheldon/Amy double entendre conversation.

When he said Neil Sedaka, I thought "wait, I thought they were both big fans of Neil Diamond." I wonder if it was a licensing issue and "Calendar Girl" was cheaper than "Cracklin' Rose."

The only thing I can think of, is that since Sheldon skipped so many grades, he skipped the grade where his school/school district read Tom Sawyer.

I thought the Sheldon/Amy double entendre conversation was funny too. 

• Love 10
1 hour ago, Sarah 103 said:

When he said Neil Sedaka, I thought "wait, I thought they were both big fans of Neil Diamond." I wonder if it was a licensing issue and "Calendar Girl" was cheaper than "Cracklin' Rose."

I didn't even realize it was the 'wrong' Neil until I came here and read this thread.

PinkRibbons - I love you're whole post!   And "Yay!" for non-skeevy friendship!

• Love 8

Howard and Amy were the only fun tonight. 

Bernadette not coddling Sheldon was refreshing. 

Other than that, 20-odd minutes of my life I won’t get back. 

Oh, and the writer’s vanity card was inaccurate AND gross. Age 65 is not necessarily antiquity. As far as his “sign” for knowing when to quit: May the toilets in his houses be short and their waters high. 

I just don’t enjoy the show anymore. Going to take a few weeks’ break and see if maybe the DVR’ed episodes of November seem funny again. Let’s hope. 

• Love 2

I loved Howard and Amy, too, though I couldn't have articulated it as well as PinkRibbons. It actually makes sense to me that Amy would like him as a friend, because she wasn't subjected to all the skeevy stuff that Penny was. I was waiting for Neil Diamond and a tiny bit disappointed that it was Sedaka! 

• Love 8
1 hour ago, AnnaRose said:

I didn't even realize it was the 'wrong' Neil until I came here and read this thread.

Sarah may have been right that it was a money saving licensing cost issue.  After they get done paying the cast their massive salaries, they may not have much money left lol.

Good catch that Sedaka and Diamond are both named Neil.  Maybe they were trying to slip one by there, and thought that some people wouldn't notice.  If so, apparently they were right!

• Love 2
1 minute ago, rmontro said:

Good catch that Sedaka and Diamond are both named Neil.  Maybe they were trying to slip one by there, and thought that some people wouldn't notice.  If so, apparently they were right!

I was wondering if whoever was responsible for remembering that bit of continuity messed up, or if they were just hoping that the audience would not remember which Neil they both liked.

• Love 7

I literally LOLed and clapped when:

1. Howard said to Sheldon (who has just blinked morse code insults at Howard after Howard says he knows morse code), "I'm a little rusty, could you say it again?"
  2. The conversation between Amy and Sheldon in which collaboration was a metaphor for sex ending with Sheldon saying, "Don't be surprised if you walk out here and find me doing it myself." 
  3. Bernadette to Sheldon, "You ever read Tom Sawyer?…"

And I loved Penny's black t-shirt with the flowers. I'm tempted to look it up on that As Seen On TV website, but it's probably not in my budget.

And, I recently used a clip from a Neil Sedaka song to break up a long interactive teaching demonstration, so this was a successful episode for me (inspite of obnoxious Sheldon).

Plus, Penny and Leonard parenting Sheldon is always cute.

And bonus: Bernadette not being jealous at all.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 11

I too got excited about the prospect of a bit of continuity. When Penny was first giving Sheldon the parenting book treatment, I was actually hoping the book was some reading that Beverly had suggested to her during all their chats last week (I had glazed over the fact Howard and Bernadette left a parenting book behind earlier in the show). I thought that would have been an interesting dynamic and really sent Leonard into a world of confusion. 

I also enjoyed the Howard and Amy friendship. It's nice to see genuine friendships without sexual undertones represented on television, especially during a time when it's worth being reminded that just because someone is nice to you, doesn't mean they immediately want to sleep with you. 

• Love 10
15 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

14 hours ago, Sarah 103 said:

12 hours ago, AnnaRose said:

11 hours ago, Mystery said:

I was waiting for Neil Diamond and a tiny bit disappointed that it was Sedaka! 

10 hours ago, rmontro said:

10 hours ago, AnnaRose said:

I was wondering if whoever was responsible for remembering that bit of continuity messed up, or if they were just hoping that the audience would not remember which Neil they both liked.

The minute they said Neil Sedaka, my brain got all itchy like Sheldon's does when he's uncomfortable, but I couldn't quite put my finger on what was wrong.  15 minutes later I blurted out, "They like Neil DIAMOND, not Neil SEDAKA!!"  DH was all, "THAT'S what you've been thinking about??"  Well, yes.  I KNEW it didn't sound right!

• Love 11

The only thing I can think of, is that since Sheldon skipped so many grades, he skipped the grade where his school/school district read Tom Sawyer.

I've gone my whole life without ever reading Tom Sawyer and I didn't skip any grades. I can also believe Sheldon's only indulgence in fictional writing would have been comic books - he would have been too busy studying physics and whatnot to read novels. 

When did the show ever establish that Amy and Howard liked Neil Diamond? I don't remember that episode.

2 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

I've gone my whole life without ever reading Tom Sawyer and I didn't skip any grades. I can also believe Sheldon's only indulgence in fictional writing would have been comic books - he would have been too busy studying physics and whatnot to read novels. 

When did the show ever establish that Amy and Howard liked Neil Diamond? I don't remember that episode.

Amy and Howard were in a car, happily enjoying a Neil Diamond tune.

2 hours ago, snarkylady said:

There's someone responsible for continuity? 

That's supposed to be a script supervisor's job but when a show has been on as long as this one, stuff gets missed all the time.

2 hours ago, iMonrey said:

This is really the first time they've addressed this but I do get the sense that while Sheldon knows his science and math, he's wobbly on the arts and other things like that. The speed he went through school, he just wouldn't have had the time to properly cover all of that and it's not like we ever see him reading a novel or going to a play that didn't star Penny. There's just no way he's got the arts and social sciences down pat. I've always wanted to see what would happen if someone in a "lesser" field like literature or history challenged him in some way because I've always suspected he doesn't have the same base of knowledge. This was pretty close.

• Love 3

I really dont' understand why it's considered a continuity error that Howard and Amy like Neil Sedaka.  Is there some law that says you can't like both?  I actually like that Howard picked a different singer, because that to me, says that either they have had other conversations, or they just happen to have even more in common.

39 minutes ago, vibeology said:

it's not like we ever see him reading a novel

I think he mentioned reading the Harry Potter books.  He probably read the Time Machine also.  I don't see Tom Sawyer being something adult Sheldon would look into.  We actually read Huckleberry Finn in HS and I liked it so much that I went out and read Tom Sawyer on my own, but I'm sure there are many from my class who did not.

• Love 17

Sheldon also read 'Pride and Prejudice' because he wanted to spoil it for Amy since she had pointed out the existential flaw in 'Indiana Jones' (it didn't work since he couldn't find fault with the book; clearly Lorre feared the wrath of Janeites).

The Scavenger Hunt is one of my favorite episodes so I loved this. Helberg and Bialik are just great together and it's a pairing the show has really underused so far. Too bad Sheldon is back to being a jerk to Howard but I guess since their gyroscope project is over he's no longer bound by that contract. I'm glad Bernadette got at least all the chores on her list done before Raj came along. I'd have kicked him out the first time around.

And yep, that t-shirt caught my attention too. Sold out - damn.

• Love 4
11 minutes ago, MissLucas said:

The Scavenger Hunt is one of my favorite episodes so I loved this.

Slightly off-topic.  I loved the Scavenger Hunt also, and I don't understand why the rest of them get irked with Raj when he does things like that and the murder mystery night.  If I had a friend that planned fun stuff like that, I would go out of my way to show my appreciation.

• Love 10
7 hours ago, Lovecat said:

The minute they said Neil Sedaka, my brain got all itchy like Sheldon's does when he's uncomfortable, but I couldn't quite put my finger on what was wrong.  15 minutes later I blurted out, "They like Neil DIAMOND, not Neil SEDAKA!!"  DH was all, "THAT'S what you've been thinking about??"  Well, yes.  I KNEW it didn't sound right!

Maybe it's not the music, maybe they just like singers named Neil.  If they're bonding over rocking out to Neil Young next episode, we'll know.

• Love 11
2 hours ago, vibeology said:

it's not like we ever see him reading a novel

We saw him teaching himself Finnish. Sheldon wants to be educated in a wide range of topics so that he can show off, even if he has to drag the topic over a bit. He often has to, since he aims for depth that will impress, rather than breadth, in an area.

• Love 1

In regards to the Sedaka/Diamond issue, I think both singers have a similar style, so it wouldn't be surprising that Amy & Howard would like both.  Now if they had bonded over gangster rap in the scavenger hunt episode and played some death metal on this episode, that would be a problem.

Probably not allowed, but has Kaley gotten really skinny?  She has always been thin, but tonight it really jumped out at me.

Good episode,  I liked that they are continuing to mix the group up a little and have them pair off differently.  Also liked that Raj wasn't creepy and Stuart wasn't in it.   It was great as well that Amy doesn't let Sheldon influence her when it comes to her work!

• Love 3
23 hours ago, Sarah 103 said:

I thought the Sheldon/Amy double entendre conversation was funny too. 

My school never read Tom Sawyer, so perhaps Sheldon’s never did either.

Never read Tom Sawyer or Huckleberry Finn in school either.  With regard to Tom Sawyer is that a staple of the curriculum in most places?  Huck Finn definitely was and still is around here - but it alternates with a few other books so no guarantee you will get it.  I wasn't surprised that Sheldon hadn't read it, if it isn't science fiction or fantasy I don't think he'd be too interested.

I am pleased with how much Howard has matured. In the early seasons he probably would have said a man and a woman could not be friends. Now if the writers could help another character who desperately needs it ...

• Love 2
23 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Plus, Penny and Leonard parenting Sheldon is always cute.

And bonus: Bernadette not being jealous at all.

I always love when they put Sheldon in the role of child. It's not terribly original, but it always works and gets a laugh. Bernadette knows that Howard loves her and that he would never cheat on. Howard loves her. He also knows Bernadette would kill him slowly and painfully if he ever did. 

3 hours ago, CherryAmes said:

Never read Tom Sawyer or Huckleberry Finn in school either.  With regard to Tom Sawyer is that a staple of the curriculum in most places?  Huck Finn definitely was and still is around here - but it alternates with a few other books so no guarantee you will get it.  I wasn't surprised that Sheldon hadn't read it, if it isn't science fiction or fantasy I don't think he'd be too interested.

I thought it was. I read Tom Sawyer in middle school and thought that was still pretty commonly read. Huck Finn is far more controversial and not the staple it used to be. 

• Love 3

I don't have much to say about this episode except that I did laugh a few times, especially over the "Sheldon as a child" bits.  And of course I loved the Howard/Amy friendship despite the Neil Sedaka WTF.  What I can't get over this season is Leonard.  He just seems more serious and boring.  I'm sure it's the role and the writing since they haven't really been giving him any good plots, but I also feel like he's just as uninspired to play the role anymore as the role itself has become uninspiring to play.

• Love 1

It's time to end the show. It's given me a good character in Penny, nice character development with Howard, and great laughs with Sheldon, but they're running out of ideas. 

How many years till they need to renew it?

Edited by fan94
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, Snarklepuss said:

What I can't get over this season is Leonard.  He just seems more serious and boring. 

But hasn't Leonard always been "the straight man"* when the script called for it?

*comedy terminology, not a reference to gender orientation

• Love 4
6 hours ago, fan94 said:

It's time to end the show. It's given me a good character in Penny, nice character development with Howard, and great laughs with Sheldon, but they're running out of ideas. 

I don't disagree that the show should end in the foreseeable future but this year has been consistently good.  If they can keep this up then I'll keep watching.  It's only mid-October but given how few new episodes of shows get made anymore the quality of the ones they've aired so far is, hopefully, a good indicator of a strong season.

• Love 9
On ‎10‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 9:42 PM, PinkRibbons said:

Amy gets a kick out of his personality in a way apparently no one else does, and since Howard no longer feels the need to be a creepy perv to any woman he sees, he actually seems to see her as a friend in the way he sees his male friends (although maybe nicer).

What I like about their friendship is how it has developed over time.  They were both very awkward with each other when left alone.  Then came the  the scavenger hunt and they bonded over Neil Diamond and singing karaoke.  When Howard asked if she wanted to sing some Neil Sedaka songs, I too thought, wait, it's supposed to be Neil Diamond, but then thought, well,  they don't have to be limited to one singer.  Why not Neil Sedaka?  His music makes for great sing-alongs!  I wish Raj had interrupted them.  They're fun to watch.   I loved Bernadette's reaction to everything going on around her.  

• Love 11
2 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

But hasn't Leonard always been "the straight man"* when the script called for it?

*comedy terminology, not a reference to gender orientation

Yeah but at least in the past he was funny or at least contributed to the comedy in that role, and I watch reruns all the time for contrast*.  Now, not so much.   Being "the straight man" shouldn't mean sucking all the comedy out of a room.  Now he's like a big lump with no purpose except to stand there.  Just my opinion!

*(Yes the "straight man" can be hilarious even in that role but I don't have the time to go through comedic history for examples).

• Love 4