Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E13: Heritage

• Start Topic

On 10/28/2017 at 4:48 PM, Keepitmoving said:

Yeah I know about Jeannie Mae and I wish her all the best for a decision that is wise and anything but selfish. Theirs is a truly sad and unfortunate situation and IMO no one is the bad guy. He can't help that his "uterus" is aching even though at one time he thought he'd never want kids and she  can't help that hers isn't. 

Oh Calvin and Nova...

So what now?  I gotta see Nova in Zika  and BLM mode every damn episode with no love life, please.  Yes, that occurs in real life but it's not going to fly for tv enjoyment week after week. And I actually don't think I want to see her with someone who is an activist for the same causes as she's fighting for, too much, not interesting. But, she should maybe be with someone who is as passionate about their work as she is about hers.

I don't think, though, that Nova has ever let her activism stop her from getting involved with anyone. I mean, we literally have seen Nova in three relationships (in addition to some throwaway heauxes leaving her place lol) in two seasons, so I don't get this idea that somehow Nova is all "100% of myself to my people 100% of the time." Or that Nova is closing herself off to dating non-Black men. Like, we literally have zero story lines to prove that as the case. 

Nova doesn't want to be in a serious relationship with a White police officer now for valid reasons, I think. She did make a go of it many months ago (in story time) (and for a good length of time as well, according to pre-show canon), likely even while she still had these doubts eating at her.

Very many people end up coming to different conclusions about the person they're seeing while they're still in a relationship with that person (e.g., Jeannie Mai's husband who grew to have a different idea on children in their marriage). Why is it hard to see that Nova could have come to that conclusion even after all the time she spent with Calvin? Why does Nova not wanting to be in a full on relationship with Calvin mean that--horrors!--she won't ever date a White man? That somehow she's (supposedly) perpetuating this thing of Black women giving all of ourselves to our people while closing ourselves off to romantic dealings? Because, again, we've not seen Nova just sitting up in her house not being romantically involved with anyone since the show began.

• Love 1

It's interesting how Queen Sugar marginalizes Nova's sexuality. Other than Chantal (who approached her), Nova has yet to date, sleep with, or even show the slightest interest in, another woman.

The thing I noticed was how Nova was dressed (skimpy white shirt with no bra, and barely-there shorts) -- to me it read that she wanted and hoped for and expected Calvin to come; she was certainly dressed for "action". (Not that I was complaining!)

On 10/26/2017 at 4:32 AM, TVForever said:

he was " young, dumb, and stupid" himself ,

Now he's "older, dumb, and stupid".

On 10/26/2017 at 6:48 AM, Clanstarling said:

Forever is a pretty significant phrase, imo.

Forever got her wound up, but "kids" was the turn-off.  Charley has a grown son.  She's done with the Diaper Brigade.  If Remy put his own wants aside for a minute (I know; not gonna happen), he might have realized that Charley wanting another child was a long shot at best.

On 10/28/2017 at 5:12 AM, Arcadiasw said:

True. Ernest would've been happy at the thought of a grandchild since Nova didn't have any. 

Especially a grandson to take on the name.

20 hours ago, Mozelle said:

I don't think, though, that Nova has ever let her activism stop her from getting involved with anyone. I mean, we literally have seen Nova in three relationships (in addition to some throwaway heauxes leaving her place lol) in two seasons, so I don't get this idea that somehow Nova is all "100% of myself to my people 100% of the time." Or that Nova is closing herself off to dating non-Black men. Like, we literally have zero story lines to prove that as the case.

Nova doesn't want to be in a serious relationship with a White police officer now for valid reasons, I think. She did make a go of it many months ago (in story time) (and for a good length of time as well, according to pre-show canon), likely even while she still had these doubts eating at her.

Very many people end up coming to different conclusions about the person they're seeing while they're still in a relationship with that person (e.g., Jeannie Mai's husband who grew to have a different idea on children in their marriage). Why is it hard to see that Nova could have come to that conclusion even after all the time she spent with Calvin? Why does Nova not wanting to be in a full on relationship with Calvin mean that--horrors!--she won't ever date a White man? That somehow she's (supposedly) perpetuating this thing of Black women giving all of ourselves to our people while closing ourselves off to romantic dealings? Because, again, we've not seen Nova just sitting up in her house not being romantically involved with anyone since the show began.

I don't see it either and we have about 5 or 6 more episodes of the season to see what may or may not happen regarding Nova's storyline. I felt her pain, because Calvin really never talked to Nova about her activism and I get where she was coming from in regards to having to explain it to him. Also, as much as it pisses folks off, Nova would be thought of and accused of being a hypocrite by some of our folks if they found out about her personal relationship with Calvin. They wouldn't see him as a man she is clearly in love with. They would see him as a white cop and that is all that he would be to them. 

• Love 1
On ‎10‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 9:48 PM, Neurochick said:

This show makes me sick.  I might have to stop watching.

Nova and Charley have men who love them, and they’re saying. “Nope”.  They will regret that nonsense when they get older.  Although I gat Charley more than Novs.  “You’re a prison” seriously woman?  Nova should just join a convent and be done with it.  Nova just doesn’t think she deserves love.  Black women always think we have to take care of everyone , do everything.  Black women deserve to be loved and cherished, Nova needs to be one less soldier.  I want to shake these women and tell them to fucking enjoy life, you only get one.

Glad that Darla realized her parents didn’t shun her, she shunned them because she was a junkie.  Great to see Michael Michelle.

Nova can really work my last nerve. It's one thing to be passionate about your causes , but what about your personal life .Nova has commitment issues. Charlie I can understand not wanting a serious committed relationship right now. Aunt Vie and Hollywood are just the best . I love them as a couple . I believe Nova is still carrying childhood baggage because of her father's relationship with her mother.

• Love 1