Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E05: Kwikhang, mirmir, Ash & Erie, Human Bobber

Tara Ariano
  • Start Topic

I don't know why those curtain-rod things wouldn't have been a smash hit on QVC for Laurie. Especially since we were shown the success of that rubber circle thingie that made its inventor a multi-millionaire. Plus, does anyone have curtain rods thicker than 1-1/2 inches diameter? Yeah, I didn't think so.

• Love 3
1 minute ago, saber5055 said:

I don't know why those curtain-rod things wouldn't have been a smash hit on QVC for Laurie. Especially since we were shown the success of that rubber circle thingie that made its inventor a multi-millionaire. Plus, does anyone have curtain rods thicker than 1-1/2 inches diameter? Yeah, I didn't think so.

As someone who is not very good with tools and put several holes in my walls trying to hang regular curtain rods- I floved those. 

While maybe the lifejacket that could be used as a vest or shorts may have been good in theory, they looked ridiculous on that guy. 

It seems weird to me that no other clothing company has shirts for shorter guys. 

The high-end photo booth- I don't see the need.  Photo booths are not meant to be for pictures that you want frame and hang.  They're just for fun and maybe hang on the fridge/corkboard/mirror. 

• Love 4

The best thing about this episode was Damon insisting he was 5'8", even after Robert (at 5'8") was standing right next to him and is obviously a few inches taller than Damon.  Damon was so offended and defensive, it made me laugh.  Of course Damon has no idea that if he bought ready-to-wear clothing off the rack he'd have to go to the boy's department.  I think the entrepreneurs had a good idea here.  There really isn't a male equivalent of women's petite sizing, which is a large market.  But I think they have a branding issue; no man wants to be called short, let alone the feminine-sounding "petite". 

• Love 10

I thought the curtain rod hangers were genius and I would have bought dozens of sets if I had known they were around 10-15 years ago.  But I've been on a "no curtain" kick for the past few years.  I have roman shades, cordless accordion blinds & wood blinds for privacy, but I got rid of curtains/drapes as we have renovated each room.  I hated the chore of taking them down to wash then rehang 2-4 times a year, or dragging out the vacuum attachments to dust them in between.  Plus, it makes my rooms look bigger & brighter.  But, if my style sense changes in another 5 years, I will remember this product.  And I agree that QVC would have sold a sh** ton of these!  Solves a huge problem for folks who can't handle drills/levels/screwdrivers!

I don't do any water sports besides the occasional canoe/kayak trip, so I do not get the upside down life vest thing.  It looked like a water proof diaper.  Friends of mine do a family camping trip where one day is spent floating down the Saco River in tubes.  They wear traditional life vests and plop their butts in a tube. They tie up several together especially the smaller kids, & even float their coolers along.  I don't know how this vest would make this kind of trip more fun...they would just loose the tubes & float on their butts in the diaper vest?  Do not understand.

• Love 5
5 hours ago, saber5055 said:

While they are a good idea for the specific way they work, there's a big segment of the window "market" they miss--windows without framing molding. Those brackets have to be tacked into molding. Except for one condo that was built in  the 1920s, I don't think I've lived in a place with molding on the windows since I lived at home (pre-college, 20 years ago). My current circa-1969 apartment doesn't have molding on the windows. I've lived in condos or apartments since leaving home, never a "single-family" house.

• Love 6

My other thought about the curtain hangers is, once they are installed, that's it. No repeat buying unless you move. Although I guess you could tap the hangers back up and out and take them with, if you were so inclined. Still, I thought they were genius. I'd never guy that rubber microwave circle when I can just use pot holders to take out the dish, and a lid to cover dishes so they don't splatter. But I guess there are inventions out there for everyone ... or not for everyone! I didn't quite "get" the floatie vest/pants thing, but then I wasn't watching all that closely. And LOL at Damen learning he is shorter than Robert! Jeepers, I'm taller than both of them. I agree there is a problem marketing clothing labeled "short" for men, but I don't have a solution for that. But check how stressed Damen was to learn he is short ... !

• Love 3

It's a diaper!  It's a vest!  It looks ridiculous!  And I would pay cash money to see Mr. Wonderful in one.

That curtain rod thingy would be great for apartment dwellers, and for those who can't level.

Oh, and short men's shirts guys, I have one word for you:  ALTUVE.  Get Jose Altuve to wear your products, get that all over social media, and fun-sized men (and their women) will buy in bulk.  Especially when Altuve wins the World Series and MVP!

• Love 3
9 minutes ago, DEL901 said:

I kept thinking, when they put the vest on as shorts, about how that would really work?  Wouldn't you tip over with the floaty part (your butt) in the air if you weren't careful?

I don't know, but I'd pay good money to see Mr. Wonderful do that!

I haven't been in a lake and in a lifejacket since I was a kid, but I'm thinking that unless the diaper-jacket was cinched TIGHTLY around one's waist, it would slip off fairly easily when one is floating, i.e., it wouldn't be suitable as an actual lifesaving device. With a standard lifejacket, one's arms and head hold it down and it is tied/clipped down across the chest.

The shirts seem like a good idea, if there really is a need for them.  

The transformable life vests must work in they have been approved, but I agree with others that it seems lore like that one would tip over and be bobbing around upside down or at least floating horizontally.

I was surprised the high end photo booth guys got a deal.  I agree with whichever sharks said that it would do well for a few years then consumers would move on to something else.  

On 10/23/2017 at 6:04 PM, bilgistic said:

While they are a good idea for the specific way they work, there's a big segment of the window "market" they miss--windows without framing molding. Those brackets have to be tacked into molding. Except for one condo that was built in  the 1920s, I don't think I've lived in a place with molding on the windows since I lived at home (pre-college, 20 years ago). My current circa-1969 apartment doesn't have molding on the windows. I've lived in condos or apartments since leaving home, never a "single-family" house.

Same here.  I don't know anyone who could use those and was surprised none of the sharks mentioned it.  

I was also surprised that none of them mentioned that his curtain hangers might not hang the curtains at the right height. 

And you would need to have curtains that go above the rod too - like the ones he used with the giant grommets.  If you have the kind that the rod sits at the top of the curtain, it might look odd.  

• Love 2
On 10/24/2017 at 3:27 PM, basiltherat said:

It's a diaper!  It's a vest!  It looks ridiculous!  And I would pay cash money to see Mr. Wonderful in one.

That curtain rod thingy would be great for apartment dwellers, and for those who can't level.

Oh, and short men's shirts guys, I have one word for you:  ALTUVE.  Get Jose Altuve to wear your products, get that all over social media, and fun-sized men (and their women) will buy in bulk.  Especially when Altuve wins the World Series and MVP!

Hahahaha! "Fun-sized"!

4 hours ago, bilgistic said:

Those ridiculous "UnTuckIt" shirts should be the right length for shorter guys. They look too short on average-sized guys. Problem solved.

I have a shorter husband. The problem with his shirts isn't the length; it's how it fits his shoulders and arms. But he has always been short and doesn't know what a proper fitting shirt looks like, so he doesn't see this as a problem. 

• Love 5
On 10/23/2017 at 9:04 PM, bilgistic said:

On the the other hand, every home (and apartment) I've lived in has molding on the windows. I'm sure they will have no problem finding a market.

Did the clothing guys say 1/3rd of the men's clothing market is 5'8" or shorter and... no one is catering to them? I just can't buy that clothing retailers and manufacturers are completely ignoring that many potential buyers.

I commonly see pants down to size 28" length which will likely be someone 5'4".

Similarly with fitted shirt sizes going down pretty small.

I guess if you're shopping small-medium-large shirts you may have issues.

Not only do women's sizes go from petite to plus, some places have petite plus for curvy, but short women. With the right marketing, I think those two guys could actually do well in the men's wear segment.

Daymond, you really have to resign yourself to the reality of your height. You're not 5' 8", you're not even 5' 7", and god knows how tall you'd be if you took the lifts out of your shoes. 

• Love 3

I really do think there is no catering to the "fun size" man, because I know it was many years for us larger women to get any stylish plus size, full-figure, half sizes or whatever they call it nowadays.   Just cutting down men's pants and re-hemming them doesn't make them proportionate.

I was also surprised that none of them mentioned that his curtain hangers might not hang the curtains at the right height. 

And you would need to have curtains that go above the rod too - like the ones he used with the giant grommets.  If you have the kind that the rod sits at the top of the curtain, it might look odd.  

Yeah, I don't think any of the sharks have a degree in interior design. I'm not a designer, but in most cases, I see designers putting the rod as high as possible for a more dramatic and high-end look.

There definitely is a market for these though. I'm surprised Laurie didn't make a deal to sell them on QVC and at Bed, Bath, & Beyond.

• Love 2

I'm very particular about window treatments, and I would never hang curtains as low and narrow as that gadget would require, even if I had the moldings (which, like @bilgistic, I haven't encountered very often). That's just a terrible look.

I hated the fancy photo booth guy with the stupid hat, and I'm sure his "proprietary technology" is just a Gaussian blur that can be implemented with a few lines of code.

I would rather risk drowning than wear a life vest as a diaper.

Edited by chocolatine
  • Love 1

I'm very particular about window treatments, and I would never hang curtains as low and narrow as that gadget would require, even if I had the moldings (which, like @bilgistic, I haven't encountered very often). That's just a terrible look.

That's what I thought as well! The curtains were actually hanging below the top of the window frame. I have all mine mounted several inches higher than the window, and I have lots of large rods that are bigger than 1 1/2".

I thought the shirts for short men was a GREAT idea. I  immediately mentioned to my husband that women have a petite section, so why has no one ever come up with that (with a different name) for men? And...Sure Daymond. You're 5'8". Mmmmhmmm.

• Love 1

The Canadian network that airs ST seemed to be skipping half the episodes earlier this year and is only airing them now.

On 10/27/2017 at 4:08 PM, ae2 said:

On the the other hand, every home (and apartment) I've lived in has molding on the windows. I'm sure they will have no problem finding a market.

Same here.  I thought that it would be great for renters who aren't allowed to put holes in walls.  They wouldn't be perfect, but they would definitely fill a need.  Sometimes I don't understand how the Skarks think.  They complain that things aren't in place with one pitcher and then Cuban says he'll help the diaper-life jacket guys get their affairs in order.  ???  Curtain guy only wanted 80K

On 10/30/2017 at 11:52 AM, MoreCoffeePlease said:

There definitely is a market for these though. I'm surprised Laurie didn't make a deal to sell them on QVC and at Bed, Bath, & Beyond.

Total slam dunk on QVC.

On 10/27/2017 at 4:08 PM, ae2 said:

I commonly see pants down to size 28" length which will likely be someone 5'4".

I'm surprised at that.  I have a different problem.  I have sons who are very thin with long legs and I struggle to find a 34" length in a small enough waist.  As I hunt through entire stacks of pants looking for a potentially right size, I rarely see a 28" length in those piles, so I figured these guys had something going.