Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E08: Under Cover Boss

OnceSane
  • Start Topic

12 hours ago, yourmomiseasy said:

Matt is kind of annoying in his messiness an needs to get a handle on his emotional drinking for sure.  I kind of feel like he should jump on the grenade and hook up with Jen to save everyone from her weird flirting.  I mean not really, but if they were not real people with free will that's how I'd set it up.

If I were single and on that boat, I'd jump on the grenade .... over and over and over again. Jen is hot! (Though, to be fair, I have not yet gotten to watch this episode. Maybe my opinion will change. But she does have a rockin' body.)

• Love 2
1 minute ago, MrSmith said:

This is not how I remember it. It seemed to me when we were watching that season that he was with his girlfriend in spite of her cheating and they were working on their relationship. I remember him making a point of saying how he was the one being faithful while out on charter, while she was the one who cheated.

You might be right. I remember a lot is self-righteousness from Eddie about his girlfriend being a cheater. I guess his rage makes perfect sense if he was still with his girlfriend and completely resentful.

• Love 5
Just now, HunterHunted said:

You might be right. I remember a lot is self-righteousness from Eddie about his girlfriend being a cheater. I guess his rage makes perfect sense if he was still with his girlfriend and completely resentful.

Amen to that! A LOT of self-righteousness from Eddie that season.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, dleighg said:

Why is it called a "bunny pad"? I just don't get it.

And "way too much orange juice in the margarita"? Does a margarita have *any* OJ?

I don't drink them, but I don't think they do. I'm pretty sure it's screwdrivers that have orange juice (not that I drink those, either).

• Love 4
52 minutes ago, ryebread said:

Been around boats all my life and I've never heard it called that. All I can figure is, those padded platforms remind me of Hugh Hefner's bed. So women in skimpy bathing suits lying around on them = bunny pad. 

That's all I've got.

That's what I've always thought it was a reference to. Something Playboy Bunny-esque. 

12 minutes ago, MrSmith said:

I don't drink them, but I don't think they do. I'm pretty sure it's screwdrivers that have orange juice (not that I drink those, either).

Margaritas have lime (or lemon) juice. NOT OJ. These assholes seem like the type who complain about everything, because they think it makes them seem knowledgeable and important. 

• Love 6
5 hours ago, NaughtyKitty said:

I think Jen spent more time writing the note than she did looking for the oranges.  I feel bad for Kate that she has to put up with Jen.  She is so childish.

The Nico Bri thing hits close to home.  I just broke up with a cheating sociopath.  I get so angry watching them. And Bri… you know he has a GF.  You are just as guilty as he is

I didn’t get the “date” vibe from EJ and Baker’s date.  I think she was extending an olive branch and trying to get to know her boss better.  I didn’t see any sparks on her end and nothing indicating a date.  I think EJ misinterpreted it.

I think she spent a lot of time looking for those oranges, just not in places where oranges would be because she's an idiot.  She's constantly being shown taking forever to do things because she couldn't find her ass with two hands, a map, and a flashlight.

• Love 13

Captain Lee's Blog touches on who Matt should have asked for permission to used Bruno (Hint not Nico). Compares Baker with Connie, not sure I agree there. Is not at all kind to Nico, likes Brie's work ethic but not her actions with Nick. He still thinks Kate can do no wrong and of course Jen is a trainwreck.

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, fifty8th said:

Compares Baker with Connie, not sure I agree there.

Connie was on Kate's podcast this week and Kate mentioned that Baker also reminded her of Connie and listed a few ways, including having similar ideas about what they wanted to do in the future. Connie and Lee apparently text regularly.

2 hours ago, biakbiak said:

Connie was on Kate's podcast this week and Kate mentioned that Baker also reminded her of Connie and listed a few ways, including having similar ideas about what they wanted to do in the future. Connie and Lee apparently text regularly.

Maybe they are similar I just remember liking Connie a lot more and think she was a better deck hand.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, MrSmith said:

If I were single and on that boat, I'd jump on the grenade .... over and over and over again. Jen is hot! (Though, to be fair, I have not yet gotten to watch this episode. Maybe my opinion will change. But she does have a rockin' body.)

She does have a rockin body. However, she just looks like a pterodactyl with those eyes, nose, and scowl.

I don't know why Captain Lee should have to tell Nico that EJ is the bosun.

Edited by Belowdeckchatter
  • Love 3
16 hours ago, BogoGog24 said:

I like EJ and Baker together. However EJ needs to finally tell Nico where to shove it. The only reason Nico thinks he runs the boat is because no one has had the balls to tell him he doesn’t. When he was running the crew meeting that would have been the opportunity for EJ to interject and say that was his job to run meetings, etc. Lee should also have Nico stop being part of the prep meetings. I’m pretty sure last season Nick mocked Trevor who was the senior/lead deckhand, now he acts like that means he runs the boat. I don’t get why he didn’t just stay at home this season and deal with all these issues. I hope he sees what an ass he’s been all season and reevaluates himself. 

I agree-- EJ needs to put Nico in his place and do it firmly. Cut that macho crap off at the root.  Otherwise Nico's going to stay on his power trip where he believes he's pushing EJ around in front of the others.  I believe it was Kate who said Nico was like the jock in school who bossed around the nerd.  Honestly, I see Nico as just as big of a nerd as EJ.  He's all talk. In no normal high school would Nico be the beefed up, good looking, popular jock and Bri's hooking up with him because she doesn't see anyone any 'better'.  If a good looking real jock was on board she'd never give Nico a second glance.  I hope soooo much that this is the last season with Nico!  And now they're bringing  his apparently equally immature brother on next week to have a pile up on EJ.... I feel like I'm watching an afterschool program: Who'll be whose boyfriend/girlfriend, whose boss is the meanest, will EJ kiss Baker, will EJ finally deck Nico.... gah!  The whole show was about these jr high shenanigans :(  We only saw the guests the last FIVE minutes!  Unless Bravo is trying to bring in only the young teen crowd then this is unacceptable.  I have better shows to waste my hour on.

• Love 6
9 hours ago, Belowdeckchatter said:

She does have a rockin body. However, she just looks like a pterodactyl with those eyes, nose, and scowl.

I don't know why Captain Lee should have to tell Nico that EJ is the bosun.

The captain shouldn't have to tell Nico that EJ is the boatswain. It's already been declared, right in their titles. However, Captain Lee is not helping to make things clear by continuing to bring the lead deckhand into the client briefings. That should be department heads and the captain only. That said, EJ should be putting Nico in his place at every turn and, if that still fails to work, he should have the captain address it. If I were the boatswain, I'd be putting Nico in his place every chance I got and, if he continues to mouth off and be disrespectful, I would give him all the shit jobs and work him the most hours. For example, I'd put him on anchor watch every night until 05:00, I'd have him back up and working at 07:00, then he could get some sleep between 19:00 and 21:00, and finally he'd be back on anchor watch all night from 21:00 to 05:00. During the day between charters, I'd have him polish all the brightwork with a toothbrush or have him in the water scraping barnacles off the hull. If there were guests on board, I'd find something laborious and/or tedious for him to do all day. After about two or three days of that, he'd be dead on his feet. If that didn't solve the disrespect problem, then I'd have the captain address it.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, stcroix said:

Unless Bravo is trying to bring in only the young teen crowd then this is unacceptable.  I have better shows to waste my hour on.

Great post. When analyzing my own frustration with Bravo, I'm coming to the realization that I just might be getting too old for this shite.

• Love 8
18 hours ago, stcroix said:

I agree-- EJ needs to put Nico in his place and do it firmly. Cut that macho crap off at the root.  Otherwise Nico's going to stay on his power trip where he believes he's pushing EJ around in front of the others.  I believe it was Kate who said Nico was like the jock in school who bossed around the nerd.  Honestly, I see Nico as just as big of a nerd as EJ.  He's all talk. In no normal high school would Nico be the beefed up, good looking, popular jock and Bri's hooking up with him because she doesn't see anyone any 'better'.  If a good looking real jock was on board she'd never give Nico a second glance.  I hope soooo much that this is the last season with Nico!  

It would be interesting to see if Nico would be quite this bad if No Game Kelley Big Dick Johnson had to come in as the Bosun midseason. Nico was mouthy even with Kelley, but he wasn't this bad. I wonder how Nico would have worked under Eddie, who never had time for this kind of bullshit. I know that bar fighting bisexual Kyle (with a penchant for having sex next to dumpsters) is showing up for an episode or two. While his personal life is a disaster, he's fairly respectful of his superiors. I wonder what that will do to the deck crew dynamic.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, HunterHunted said:

It would be interesting to see if Nico would be quite this bad if No Game Kelley Big Dick Johnson had to come in as the Bosun midseason. Nico was mouthy even with Kelley, but he wasn't this bad. I wonder how Nico would have worked under Eddie, who never had time for this kind of bullshit. I know that bar fighting bisexual Kyle (with a penchant for having sex next to dumpsters) is showing up for an episode or two. While his personal life is a disaster, he's fairly respectful of his superiors. I wonder what that will do to the deck crew dynamic.

What?!  Kyle?!!!  NOoooooooo......    Bring back Eddie Whisper Hair, now that would be interesting. 

• Love 1

I've seen a couple references to Jen's fantastic body.  I think her body is actually is a bit odd.  She holds herself very stiffly and every time I see her I get this image in my head of an elderly woman.  It's not helped by her attitude, which also reminds me of someone elderly.  I think that connection is because of how inflexible she is in her attitude.  When I was younger I had thought that people holding themselves that way had bad arthritis.  As I got older and looked at more people I realized that it was actually a body shape.  I had a college friend with the same body and it struck me as unusual and further from what is considered an attractive norm. There's other things about how her body is made that put her into this body type but I cant really articulate it well.  As I spend more time deaf it  becomes harder to articulate the images I think in into words instead of sign.

• Love 4
11 hours ago, fifty8th said:

Kyle's going to be on this season? Does that mean someone gets kicked off the boat to make room for him?

Yup ! my 1st guess was he was there to replace Chris Brown, but, now, what about Jen fired, Bruno as her replacement and Kyle to replace Bruno ? That makes sense to me, lol !

• Love 7
39 minutes ago, Diane Mars said:

Yup ! my 1st guess was he was there to replace Chris Brown, but, now, what about Jen fired, Bruno as her replacement and Kyle to replace Bruno ? That makes sense to me, lol !

It does make sense and it would be cool to see how Kate deals with a male stew, heck just one in general would be a change. I hope it is Nico that get the boot he is toxic at this point. I was rewatching last season last night an early on there are signs of Nico being a self-centered cry baby. The him or me comments about Trevor (I do agree Trevor had to go) reminds me of his if I'm not made bosun I'll quit comments and when Captain Lee says he will deal with it about Trevor right before he sent him home Nico says "I hope so" in a manner that bugged me.

• Love 5
9 hours ago, Eater of Worlds said:

I've seen a couple references to Jen's fantastic body.  I think her body is actually is a bit odd.  She holds herself very stiffly and every time I see her I get this image in my head of an elderly woman.  It's not helped by her attitude, which also reminds me of someone elderly.  I think that connection is because of how inflexible she is in her attitude.  When I was younger I had thought that people holding themselves that way had bad arthritis.  As I got older and looked at more people I realized that it was actually a body shape.  I had a college friend with the same body and it struck me as unusual and further from what is considered an attractive norm. There's other things about how her body is made that put her into this body type but I cant really articulate it well.  As I spend more time deaf it  becomes harder to articulate the images I think in into words instead of sign.

You did a fabulous job of articulating your perception of Jen's body! "A bit odd" sums up Jen physically and mentally! Lol. Love it!

• Love 1
11 hours ago, Eater of Worlds said:

Interesting. I'll have to try to pay closer attention. Her attitude hasn't put me off liking her. Attitude is pretty easy to fix. It's usually just an adjustment in perspective.

I love this idea. I've been getting frustrated because it seems like Captain Lee is less aware this season of what's going on with his crew. It's time for him to show he's the Captain and put everyone in their place.

• Love 2
On 10/27/2017 at 2:45 AM, Eater of Worlds said:

I completely agree. She has a terribly hunched and stiff posture that makes her seem much older than she probably is. Also, her arms and legs are extra skinny in proportion to her body, with her arms in particular looking like they're attached at the front instead of the sides. And her legs bend outward at the knees sometimes.

She reminds me of Kermit the Frog.

On 10/27/2017 at 1:53 PM, MrSmith said:

Interesting. I'll have to try to pay closer attention. Her attitude hasn't put me off liking her. Attitude is pretty easy to fix. It's usually just an adjustment in perspective.

If this is your kind of thing, then yeah, she's hot.IMG_3468.JPG.e9c7396c13f19ded77b4687cf60ed61e.JPG

• LOL 1
  • Love 7

I don't think Jen understands management. While Kate can definitely be bitchy (and we have seen it) as chief stew it isn't her job to make the beds (though she did when training her green crew) just like it isn't Captain Lee's job to swab the deck (though he would if it was needed). If Jen had a problem with Kate forcing her in the wig or something, then I could agree with her. But for her to be upset at Kate because of Jen's inability to do her own job - that's on Jen. I don't think she realizes the level of work she is creating for others - the OJ issue is one. It's a boat, there are only so many proper places for fruits to be. Even in the bed making contest - Bri's bed was more cleanly made while Jen's still had wrinkles. 

Being a stew sucks, because you are basically a maid. But just one previous episode of Below Deck would show you that, so I don't understand how Jen couldn't figure out the amount and level of work the position requires. 

• Love 5
On 10/27/2017 at 11:53 AM, MrSmith said:

I don't know how you would fix that level of stupid.

• Love 3

Jen's daughter has so little affect in her phone calls with Jen.  She could be tired; nervous about being filmed; etc., but I would not be surprised if she does not look forward to these calls because she probably has to be the mature one, and bolster up her emotional, whiny mother, who probably complains about everyone being mean to her like that's something the kid is supposed to solve.  (I love my mother dearly, but I do remember sometimes having to be the emotionally mature one, and Jen does not seem like someone who can put her daughter's emotional needs before her own on a consistent basis).  Assuming she's with a proper caregiver (was it mentioned?) like her grandparents or something, I'm not as worked up as some posters are about how Jen's place should be with her daughter; it could be that this is a nice break for the kid (yes, it would be bad if it were forever, but maybe it's nice if someone else is modeling emotional maturity for a bit).  

I was semi-seriously worried that drunk Matt was going to knock himself  out or drown himself with his various jumps into the pool, especially the one where he flopped himself (not from a great height, fortunately) face down onto that shallow step.  

Wonder why Jen was so insistent upon stalking that poor rooster and so seriously angry at whomever it was (Matt) who horribly dared to be walking on the path behind her.

• Love 2