Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E09: Worldstar!

The shaming of Jimmy  went on too long.  Chris Gere plays him weird but effective — so pretentious, but you can see how he almost needs to be. He needed to write just to get away from the nastiness he grew up with.  Manchester seems like a horrid place, and I get the feeling Stephen Falk really doesn’t like the English.  The worst thing that could happen to him was shown in the previews — he does not need to be with anyone from home. I can understand it — he’s devastated by this breakup and his shoddy treatment of the woman he loves, so he finds someone to reinforce his feelings of self loathing. It’s a perfectly natural progression, but sad.  

I thought the vet had it comin’.  Max is too much — we already have several characatures on the show, we really don’t need another.  But I think it’s good to see Edgar’s hostility getting less and less repressed. PTSD isn’t always hiding in a corner. 

Becca and Lindsey made up too quick, but that’s the way abused or neglected siblings can be. Becca did prohibit Vernon from seeing Paul in solidarity, after all, so I do think there is real love and affection there.   I liked this version of Lindsey, but I’m sure she’ll be different again next week.  

I felt bad for Gretchen. Now that she’s got the potential to move on, her own self loathing starts to miss Jimmy.  And her duel sense of being heartbroken and aroused was a lot of great acting there.  You’ve gotta give all this crew credit — none of them ever mail these roles in.  

Edited by whiporee
  • Love 4

OMG, so much masturbation. First everyone walking in on Vernon and then Gretchen at the end. The stuff they get away with on this show really pushes the boundaries. 

I actually kind of liked the whole bit with Jimmy and the girl from his old home town. He needs cutting down to size from time to time.

• Love 1

Vernon is heading for a crash. Watching him and Becca in this one I kept hearing Jimmy's voice from the pilot about being there when they installed the faulty wiring...

This was the first episode in a while that felt more like the show's old self.

• Love 1

Jesus, how are we already nine episodes into this season? I feel like this thing never got off the ground, and Edgar's douchey friend is eating up so much screen time.

Jimmy and Gretchen not sharing scenes is ruining the back half of this season for me.

• Love 2