Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E05: It's the Great Pumpkin, Phil Dunphy

Phil and Claire still want to celebrate Halloween in a big way, but it seems no one shares their same enthusiasm making them wonder if maybe everyone is right. Over at the Pritchetts', Mitch and Cam are frustrated by how long Jay is taking to finish their kitchen remodel, which forces Mitch to finally stand up to his dad. Meanwhile, Gloria's hospitality is wearing thin when Cam oversteps his boundaries as a house guest.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, hoodooznoodooz said:

I think the Lily actress's talent lies in physical comedy--crumpling to the floor was the first time she made me laugh. 

That was probably the best acting Aubrey has ever done!

I think it's deliciously ironic that Claire donned a Wonder Woman costume considering that Julie Bowen once did the voice of a villainess who was actually fought by Wonder Woman on Justice League.

I really hate saying this, because I liked them together so much up until their breakup this week, but . . . Ben is probably going to be better off without Alex.

Poor Cam and Mitchell.  Their kitchen burned down twice, both times because of Mitchell.

The God jokes with Joe were funny.  And I believe that this was his second confessional ever, though his first time sharing one with someone (in this case, Gloria).  I was surprised that Gloria didn't remind him that Colombian is his heritage, too, technically, since he is half-Colombian.

Yeah, it was a little bit all over the place, but in fairness, I guess they were trying to give everybody something to do, so I didn't mind it.

• Love 10

Funny episode, but all the employees at Prichard are complete depressing losers aren't they? "Oh we hate how Jay left." "We hate it when Clare tries to do something nice." "We hate dressing up, I cried in the mirror." These people are so pathetic and they have been written like that since day 1. Especially when Gloria admitted in a few episodes, they always acted like this. They must make sound design and business decisions because anyone else would have kicked their asses to the curb years ago. I cringe when they come on screen. Poor Phil, he was just trying to have fun. 

• Love 11

Not enough Lily too much Joe.

The best thing about this episode was Alex breaking up with her creepy boyfriend.  I was really surprised by it and especially surprised to find out he cheated on her.

Phil is great as always.

• Love 6

I still watch this, but it's kinda like watching a beloved pet age.  This show was once so sharp, funny and relate-able (mostly).  Now it's a sad, shell of what it was.  The sharpness is blurry now.  The gags that were funny once are now expected, so instead of lol'g, I feel like I'm giving a half-hearted half smirk to these familiar and repeated "jokes".  You know when the vet tells you to consider the "quality of life" your senior pet is experiencing? You know he is telling you it's time to let "Buddy" go off to the big farm in the sky.  I think it's time for Modern Family to cross over.  I am happier picturing Phil, Cam & Luke eternally chasing rabbits than seeing another season of them limping around, retelling the same jokes from 2010.

• Love 7

I remember their first Halloween episodes and they were amazing!  I was so disappointed by this episode.  The Dunfey kids are just stuck in a rut.  Will anything every become of Hayley?  Luke doesn't seem to do much either.  I'm tired of the kitchen remodel storyline.  Where's the humor?  Gloria seems stuck to without Manny.  At least Joe is funny.

• Love 6

I loved watching Claire and Phil embrace their dorky child-like love of Halloween. That feels genuine.

But this really was a filler episode in a full season run. Honestly, it felt like they had to milk the kitchen remodel story some more, and I agree the Dunphy kids need some sort of boost to get them out of their rut. If they were all to get a house together and work on fixing it up with Phil and Claire's help, I feel like that could be interesting. Phil providing the real estate know how and Claire working on the interior with them. 

• Love 8
1 hour ago, BusyOctober said:

This show was once so sharp, funny and relate-able (mostly).  Now it's a sad, shell of what it was.  The sharpness is blurry now.  The gags that were funny once are now expected, so instead of lol'

34 minutes ago, scenicbyway said:

I remember their first Halloween episodes and they were amazing!  I was so disappointed by this episode.

1 minute ago, Traveller519 said:

But this really was a filler episode in a full season run. Honestly, it felt like they had to milk the kitchen remodel story some more, and I agree the Dunphy kids need some sort of boost to get them out of their rut.

You all are right, and I have a perfect example to back you up.  Compare these two similar jokes:

Earlier Season, Pepper Saltzman (Nathan Lane), comes running out of the house and notices the fire fighters.

"I'm a big fan!  I have all your calanders!"

Funny line, and keeps the story moving forward.

This Season,  fire fighter leaving the kitchen tells Mitch,  "Two fires in two months.  Next time, just buy a calander"

Similar jokes, but the earlier season gags were much sharper and good-natured.

• Love 5
4 minutes ago, joanne3482 said:

Hmm. I guess I wasn't paying attention to the episode at all because I missed that the kitchen burned down again. How did that happen? Was it something to do with the window? 

Yes, there was a crystal in the window that acted like a prism and started the fire.

• Love 2

I get mad when I see Claire's employees acting so disrespectful towards her. If I were her I would fire the lot of them and start over. I'm sure she doesn't force anyone to dress up-so they get some halloween candy-big deal. I couldn't work in that kind of environment. I think they could have thought of something more fun for episode. Gloria doesn't have much to do without Manny around and while I like Phil and Claire's enthusiasm about the holiday, the big pumpkin thing was just lame. Also lame: having Mitch and Cam's kitchen burn down a second time. It would have been funnier to have a crazy costume party where we got to see Pepper in one of his themes.

• Love 10

While not a bad episode or anything, it paled in comparison to the earlier Halloween episodes. I watched a few of the old ones last week, and they were so crisp and original and fun. While I did love that Phil and Claire love Halloween so much that they try to continue the tradition, it seemed like the show was almost as over Halloween as the other characters were. 

I hope the Dunphy kids get moving into their lives soon. Right now, they all just seem to be stuck in a rut. 

• Love 5
10 hours ago, readster said:

but all the employees at Prichard are complete depressing losers aren't they

In their defence, they work for a closet company.  How exciting can their lives possibly be?!!

As someone who's been trying to figure out how to remodel my kitchen for several years, I thought the finished kitchen was stunning and was so sad when it burned down again.  

• Love 6

I know it was a 'joke' but the Mitch/Jay exchange really bothered me - maybe it wouldn't have bothered me as much a few weeks ago...?

Mitch - (not exact quote) - I wish a woman walked by right now so I could objectify her

Jay - isn't it the best? (or something similar)

Didn't sit right with me - but maybe (hopefully) I'm misremembering it.

And I didn't find one thing funny in this episode.  It all seemed so forced.

• Love 11
1 hour ago, sadiegirl said:

I know it was a 'joke' but the Mitch/Jay exchange really bothered me - maybe it wouldn't have bothered me as much a few weeks ago...?

Mitch - (not exact quote) - I wish a woman walked by right now so I could objectify her

Jay - isn't it the best? (or something similar)

Didn't sit right with me - but maybe (hopefully) I'm misremembering it.

And I didn't find one thing funny in this episode.  It all seemed so forced.

No, I totally had the same reaction.

And I have been thinking about this for about a week. A LOT of the humor we see on TV and in movies is based on misogyny. Slightly off-topic, but in an old episode of Curb Your Enthusiasm, they are playing poker, I think. Larry is ticked off at one of the other players and calls him a "P_ _ _Y." I enjoyed Seinfeld and usually enjoy Curb, but I really dislike that particular word. I was thinking that it could not have been fun to be a female crew member when they were filming the "P_ _ _ Y" scene. They yell that word again and again. I can imagine, in that kind of atmosphere, the joking around among the cast and crew could potentially devolve considerably, unless someone from HR was standing there, monitoring their behavior. 

Back on topic, was that supposed to be a real pumpkin, because it looked really fake. 

• Love 3
6 hours ago, Perkie said:

In their defence, they work for a closet company.  How exciting can their lives possibly be?!!

As someone who's been trying to figure out how to remodel my kitchen for several years, I thought the finished kitchen was stunning and was so sad when it burned down again.  

Good points, but I realized now, that somehow Cam and Mitch's house is apparently fire proof, but the kitch. It's burned down twice and yet the rest of the house is fine. 

• Love 3
17 hours ago, Madding crowd said:

I get mad when I see Claire's employees acting so disrespectful towards her. If I were her I would fire the lot of them and start over. I'm sure she doesn't force anyone to dress up-so they get some halloween candy-big deal.

I totally understand the employees.  I've never liked the "dress up for Halloween" at work.  I'm an adult, I don't dress up.

• Love 7
14 hours ago, hoodooznoodooz said:

Back on topic, was that supposed to be a real pumpkin, because it looked really fake. 

That confused me too; they acted like it was, but you're right, it looked fake.

I love that Claire and Phil still have so much fun together!

• Love 6

I thought they had to burn the kitchen to give Cam and Mitch and Lily a reason to be at the Dunphy's or Prichet's house frequently and for an extended time. IDK. I enjoy the halloween eppys, but some are better than others. The kids seemed no fun. .

Edited by ari333
  • Love 6

... somehow Cam and Mitch's house is apparently fire proof, but the kitch. It's burned down twice and yet the rest of the house is fine.

Let's forget, just for a moment, that any fire large enough to destroy a kitchen would likely damage the structure of that part of the house, requiring more than a simple remodel.

But I can tell you, after sad experience, that a fire such as this, even when the flames and fire damage are limited to one room, would have filled the ENTIRE house, including every room, closet, cabinet and dresser drawer with smoke and a heavy layer of nasty soot.  Every single item in the house must be cleaned--the carpets all shampooed or replaced, every item of clothing professionally cleaned to get rid of smoke smell, or replaced.

Even professional cleaning crews often have difficulty removing ALL of the smoke residue and stink.  Mitch and Cam take such pride from their "perfect sofa" and other pretentious possessions and they would NEVER get over it until they moved and replaced everything.  Cam especially, would forever smell the smoke from "Mitch's fires" in every room of their house.

• Love 7
On 10/26/2017 at 7:28 AM, readster said:

Funny episode, but all the employees at Prichard are complete depressing losers aren't they? "Oh we hate how Jay left." "We hate it when Clare tries to do something nice." "We hate dressing up, I cried in the mirror." These people are so pathetic and they have been written like that since day 1. Especially when Gloria admitted in a few episodes, they always acted like this. They must make sound design and business decisions because anyone else would have kicked their asses to the curb years ago. I cringe when they come on screen. Poor Phil, he was just trying to have fun. 

But they worked for Jay for a long time. I can easily imagine he selected for this exact type of person because he himself would not want to have "shenanigans" at the office or people who want the boss to be fun or "do nice things."

• Love 5
6 hours ago, MaryMitch said:

I think it was supposed to be real but because of things they were doing with it they had to have it be fake.

Apparently, I have no boundaries because I didn't get the big deal of Cam being in the bedroom while she was in the bath not because he is gay but even if its an en suite it's still two separate rooms and get couldn't see her and she couldn't see him.

• Love 3
15 minutes ago, biakbiak said:
6 hours ago, MaryMitch said:

I think it was supposed to be real but because of things they were doing with it they had to have it be fake.

Apparently, I have no boundaries because I didn't get the big deal of Cam being in the bedroom while she was in the bath not because he is gay but even if its an en suite it's still two separate rooms and get couldn't see her and she couldn't see him.

I agree with the pumpkin part, but when a bathroom is en suite, the bather may have the custom of entering her bedroom naked.  I, also, wouldn't want my step-son-in-law seeing me in just my towel. Said towel could also slip.  I thought it was inappropriate to be there if he knew she was bathing.

• Love 6
3 minutes ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

the bather may have the custom of entering her bedroom naked.  I

Right but she didn't enter naked or even in a towel which made me find her reaction completely over the top.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, biakbiak said:
5 minutes ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

the bather may have the custom of entering her bedroom naked.  I

Right but she didn't enter naked or even in a towel which made me find her reaction completely over the top.

Well, Gloria probably doesn't like to be seen when she isn't made up.

So, although her reaction may have been over the top, I still think Cam was wrong to be there.

• Love 3
23 hours ago, Perkie said:

I thought it was gorgeous too.  I don’t usually pay much attention to homes/sets on TV, but I really liked it.  Shame that it burned down.  Again.

That was supposed to be a real pumpkin?  I did not get that.  I thought it was a cute episode.  I too find Ben odd, quirky, maybe even a little creepy.  Mostly from when he was Claire’s assistant.

• Love 5
On 10/25/2017 at 9:53 PM, useryikes said:

I felt it was all over the place, although there were a few funny bits. 

They have to stop putting Julie Bowen in skimpy costumes.

Juilie Bowen is such a pretty lady, but that outfit was not flattering.  I wonder if that was the point?  They wanted to show Claire looked silly and did not care?  I am also a little tired of Claire and Phil begging their ungrateful children for attention and approval.

46 minutes ago, Tiggertoo said:

I thought it was gorgeous too.  I don’t usually pay much attention to homes/sets on TV, but I really liked it.  Shame that it burned down.  Again.

That was supposed to be a real pumpkin?  I did not get that.  I thought it was a cute episode.  I too find Ben odd, quirky, maybe even a little creepy.  Mostly from when he was Claire’s assistant.

Alex was never very nice to Ben, but he admitted to cheating on her.  They were really not good for each other.

I wished we could have seen more of Hailey's dancing.  I have no idea why she thought she would be good at that....maybe she thought dancing would just be easy for her, because she's hot?

• Love 2
15 hours ago, qtpye said:

I wished we could have seen more of Hailey's dancing.  I have no idea why she thought she would be good at that....maybe she thought dancing would just be easy for her, because she's hot?

I really think the writers don't know what to do with Hailey. With Alex, they have an idea with her at college or trying to show she is more of an adult to her parents. Luke is finding out he is great at the club and organizing meetings and events. Yet, with Hailey, they go back and forth with her. She acts like her looks will get her anywhere in the entertainment/fashion business, but she constantly and I do mean constantly have her looking like an idiot. Then they have her working with someone who you wonder just how they hell they made a success. I'm not saying people like that don't exist, I worked a job where I was not promoted because I was told: "I'm too much of a people person." Yet it was a catering and event job. While he sat in his office paid, the bills and used his managers for the rest of his duties and over half of them were people persons. 

It's like with Manny, they don't know how to write him at college, so they have him complaining how he does minor mistakes and then hides coming home to get something or find something out. The writers need to get over "we don't know what it's like for people at this age" just like with Cam and Mitch's stupid fighting all these years. You can only burn down a kitchen so many times before people realize that they should just not have any thing flammable in the next model. Same goes with when Mitch explained that they had to use Jay because their contractor ditched them after he got the money. Which is still happening these days, but they are getting sued because if their modeling is due to fire/natural disasters. They sign contracts or have paper trails and can be found out and sued. We had a house burn down late last winter, one guy took the money and ran who was to fix their roof. Problem was, the insurance person had them all sign and double check numbers. He was found two weeks later and arrested and it was revealed he had done the same to a few other houses in the last month. Let's just say he is no longer in business and his extra money can help him now. 

• Love 2
On 10/26/2017 at 1:39 PM, AnnaRose said:

Yes, there was a crystal in the window that acted like a prism and started the fire.

can that happen? lots of people have stained glass door windows etc. what about suncatchers? anxious person asking!

19 hours ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

Phil talked about gutting it when he first mentioned it to Claire.

yes, it is an actual thing. i don't think they stay afloat very long. i never went to see one, so not sure.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, msrachelj said:

can that happen? lots of people have stained glass door windows etc. what about suncatchers? anxious person asking!

On 10/27/2017 at 4:52 PM, ItCouldBeWorse said:

nah. Both because the effect wouldn't be that strong, and the sun doesn't "stay still" long enough to ignite something.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, dleighg said:

nah. Both because the effect wouldn't be that strong, and the sun doesn't "stay still" long enough to ignite something.

I am not saying it would burn down a kitchen but you can most definitely start a fire with lenses or a crystal. It doesn't take very long at all. 

Remember that Xmas episode, where Phil & Claire thought the kids had been smoking, because an ornament had magnified the sun and burnt a hole in the couch (or something)?  Same idea, but the sun near Cam's house is apparently much stronger!

• Love 6

I must have fallen asleep because there's a couple of scenes that I have no recollection of. 

But I did catch all the pumpkin stuff, and I don't understand what canoeing around in a giant pumpkin has to do with Halloween.  It might be an autumn activity,  but Halloween?

Not to mention,  that was the most fake looking pumpkin I've ever seen. 

Edited by AEMom
Typo
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, msrachelj said:

I am not saying it would burn down a kitchen but you can most definitely start a fire with lenses or a crystal. It doesn't take very long at all. 

Try this experiment.  Get a magnifying glass or a large crystal and practice focusing the rays of the sun until you get a fire (or smoke).  The distance from the lens to the combustion point is only a few inches.  The "hot spot" is determined by the focal length of the lens or prism and it would take a lens the size of the entire door or larger to produce a focal length 6 or 7 FEET away such as on the Mitch/Cam table.   One little crystal?  Not gonna happen!

• Love 4
9 minutes ago, UncleChuck said:

Try this experiment.  Get a magnifying glass or a large crystal and practice focusing the rays of the sun until you get a fire (or smoke).  The distance from the lens to the combustion point is only a few inches.  The "hot spot" is determined by the focal length of the lens or prism and it would take a lens the size of the entire door or larger to produce a focal length 6 or 7 FEET away such as on the Mitch/Cam table.   One little crystal?  Not gonna happen!

Which is why I stated that this wasn't realistic but was responding to a poster suggesting it was impossible to start a fire with a crystal.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, biakbiak said:

Which is why I stated that this wasn't realistic but was responding to a poster suggesting it was impossible to start a fire with a crystal.

Right, the laws of physics didn't apply, if they would have had a piece of paper over the stainglass that eventually burned the door and then spread. That would have been more realistic because when they did that pause to show it was going to happen when Jay and Mitch left. I was like: "Seriously? The law of physics do whatever they want in Cam and Mitch's kitchen?" Just like the smoothie machine sparked fire the first time and burned the kitchen down, but it was perfectly fine. Not to mention it only sparked when used, when it wasn't even on when they left the house the first time. 

• Love 5
2 hours ago, biakbiak said:

The "poster" here (and physicist). My point wasn't that crystals can't start fires, but that crystals can't start fires LIKE THAT.

• Love 3

Did Gloria take her bath? I admit I wasn't fully paying attention because if she had, Cam talking about taking a bath in the same water too is very gross.

I like Joe too. He actually has good comedic timing and his facial expressions are good.

• Love 8
24 minutes ago, xander874 said:

Did Gloria take her bath? I admit I wasn't fully paying attention because if she had, Cam talking about taking a bath in the same water too is very gross.

I like Joe too. He actually has good comedic timing and his facial expressions are good.

Yes she took a bath and yes Cam's comment was gross.

• Love 7