Type keyword(s) to search

S25.E07: Week 6: A Night At The Movies

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, vibeology said:

I wouldn't say there are a lot of better hockey movies. There's one. Slap Shot.

Then goes Mighty Ducks, then Goon, then Mystery Alaska, then a big gap, then I guess Miracle and then the rest of the Mighty Ducks movies. They haven't made enough great hockey movies.

I was just about to mention Slap Shot....and was laughing myself silly imagining them having the troupe wearing the outfits the opposing team wore in the final game.

3 hours ago, boyznkatz said:

OMG I remember that, yuck!

Oh definitely Artem is as hot as the C brothers think they are.

Something about Artem does not work for me. I think it may be his eyes. 

Maks is starting to lose his hair.

TO and Cheryl FTW!

All this talk about how hard it would be to be married to Make is hilarious because it's based on his behavior on a reality show. Also it's terribly insulting to Peta.

Edited by gohawks
  • Love 2
On 10/23/2017 at 9:00 PM, Drogo said:

Was Shania Twain always this fucking annoying?  

ikr?  Could...she...have.........tried..har..der...to....sound...like she knew what the hell she was talking about?  

Edited by SuprSuprElevated

Well here's a shocker from another board

The teams have been decided  they are not going with highest scores as team captn's 

It appears that it's

Team Drew

Frankie

Vanessa

Victoria

vs.

Team Terrell

Lindsey

Jordan

Bella

Edited by Andie1
Correct spelling of Terrell
1 minute ago, Andie1 said:

The teams have been decided  they are not going with highest scores as team captn's 

It appears that it's

Team Drew

Frankie

Vanessa

Victoria

vs.

Team Tyrell

Lindsey

Jordan

Bella

If that's the case I predict Team Terrell will take it.

I wonder how they assigned the teams. Two lowest scorers? The two tallest celebs?

• Love 1

Wow that is seriously stacked for Team Terrell.

3 hours ago, gohawks said:

TO and Cheryl FTW!

That would be seriously awesome. He has gotten no help from the show but he has listened to Cheryl and improved more than anyone. I think he will be gone next week but I can always hope.

• Love 2

Thoughts on contestants for week 6 (in alphabetical order):

Frankie & Witney - thought the production was unique and eye-catching and that Frankie had a lot of freedom to carry out his moves in his jazz number. Thought there were many nice side-by-side moments and that Frankie danced well with his sharp arm movements throughout (including adjusting the timing of a back step midway). Maybe a bit unusual to see Frankie out of sync with Witney in moments, and that the choreography got off to a nice surprising start, but seemed a little unsure at times afterwards. But thought the timing of the troupe was nice, as it infused even more life into the routine, and seemed to of given Frankie a bit more confidence in his moves. Thought they both fit the character of the dance and look forward to their upcoming dances.

Jordan & Lindsay - agree that the routine felt as if Jordan never left the comfort/pain of his loved one from the space of his mourning arm chair. Liked the use of the white ribbon, as it brought to life a white angelic figure seemingly from his dream-like state. Confident spins, soft hip action in the opening outs, expressive sliding doors; thought Jordan did a nice job showing off Lindsay, and making the overall routine look even more lyrical and impactful. Perhaps they met one rainy evening outside of a window diner, fell in love, got married, only to get the unfortunate news about her terminal condition during the slow pivots. Liked the emotional connection to the music and to each other, and thought it was a beautiful, touching rumba that took one away on a lifetime journey.

Lindsey & Mark - thought Mark's insatiable drive to drill into the corpse's arm set the graphic mood and tone for the routine. Liked how Lindsey came to life, readjusting her head, wrists and fingers, all the while carrying out nice Argentine tango steps (maybe heads could be a bit closer in hold). Thought every move looked and felt calculated, programmed – as it should be – but soon as Lindsey pushed Mark away (and started taking the lead), thought it was a bit unsettling to watch the slow transformation into a soulless, semi-human take place. Felt the carnal passion and intensity started to show, as they got into one spontaneous lift after another, celebrating her freedom and emancipation. By the very end, it made one wonder about the status of the creature's transformation, and the uncertainty it poses as it looked beyond the outside walls of the dark lab.

----------------------------------/

---------- & ----------

---------- & ----------

----------------------------------/

Best of luck to all the celebs and looking forward to their dances.

• Love 1

I thought Terrell looked really dishy last night.I love a tux. 

I think there are very few men who don't look better in a tux! My ex was about 100 lbs over weight and not really very tall, but he looked really good in a tux for our wedding! A tux can work miracles, but TO is pretty even in regular clothes.

Is anyone else surprised that Peta is about 30? To me, she looks like she's in her 40s

Our local PBS has been showing Professional Ballroom Challenge or something like that and I am always disconcerted to find out how young the dancers are. I do think DWTS doesn't encourage the same look that the pros use. I understand the need for platinum blonde hair and blue eye shadow to stand out in a crowd, but they are aging on tv.

I hadn't noticed that hand movement with Jordan, but once it's pointed out, it can't be unseen! I bet he doesn't do it next week! He and Frankie are still my favorites for different reasons.

Lindsey's dance was great. Even I could see traditional AT movements. I think it was her best dance of the season and it's kind of hard to top the most memorable year. But I believe Mark has done a mad scientist thing before. I'm sure someone here will remember who was his partner and what the dance was. It was still good.

• Love 2

No, Mark hasn't done a mad scientist routine before. The only similar ones I can think of are the Breaking Bad jazz with Alexa P. (which had a similar crazy!Mark skit in the rehearsal video package) and the Zombie Paso with Sadie R. (where Mark was the one who wore the creepy eyes).

• Love 1

Maybe that Breaking Bad skit was what I was thinking of. And I might be in a minority, I've never seen Breaking Bad and don't have much interest in seeing it. 

But I swear I've seen a mad scientist in a lab sometime or other on this show.

I think Emma did a mad scientist skit with Bill Nye the Science Guy? 

So...I am old enough to remember when the "Behind the Music" show on VH1 was the most exciting thing on TV, and Shania Twain's the most heart-wrenching episode of said show. I must have watched it 10 times. She's been through a lot. She's never been, how shall we say it, erudite? I didn't think her comments were terrible (see: Pitbull and Jessie J for the worse judging ever on this show, IMO. Pitbull was unintelligible and at one point Jessie said "I don't know anything about dance but I liked it!") 

Shania wasn't eloquent but she managed to pin down at least one notable element in each dance and mention it. Yes, she stammered...perhaps that is part of the advanced Lyme. It was actually her scoring that was more head-scratching than her comments. 

As for the dancing, I agree that Len has decided that Drew will take the brunt of the criticism but Len is strange that way. Drew was off compared to recent performances but not terrible. If Nick hadn't been kicked off this week, he would have next week for that lame dance. He even made the same mistake in the dance that Peta was lecturing him about in rehearsal! 

Jordan and Lindsay and Lindsey and Mark are just head and shoulders above anyone else on this show, dancewise. However, this was the first week where Jordan seemed a little whiny. Not that he can't talk about his injuries, it was more the way he talked about the competition. Anyway, those two for #1-2 (not sure who will take the top spot) and #3 is really anyone else's to win or lose (maybe not Drew or Nikki, but anyone else). 

• Love 1

This week's dances:

Spoiler

Opening number

Lindsey & Mark - tango

Drew & Emma - paso

Nikki & Artem - tango

Nick & Peta - samba

Victoria & Val - paso

Terrell & Cheryl - jive

Vanessa & Maks - quickstep

Frankie & Witney - jazz

Jordan & Lindsay - rumba

Shania Twain (just in case you want to watch the dancing)

5 hours ago, MsJamieDornan said:

Well, he could be a nasty person, but he wasn't really a nasty player. Big difference.

TO was never considered a dirty or nasty player....just a showboat (his victory dances after scoring upset a lot of opposing teams), and made some ill-advised comments about other players.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, sinycalone said:

TO was never considered a dirty or nasty player....just a showboat (his victory dances after scoring upset a lot of opposing teams), and made some ill-advised comments about other players.

I think we have seen glimpses of his ego this season, but I have done a 180 on my opinion of him. I can still tell he is cocky but it's nice seeing him genuinely interested in learning and trying to do better. You can kind of see a difference in Cheryl too. I think she believes in him and wants to help him keep progressing on the show. He could kind of be a Rob Kardashian type who starts off slow and just keeps improving and makes it to the end (although I doubt TO will do that well). I could honestly see him lasting a couple more weeks though (but I also wouldn't be surprised if he were gone next week). Love him or hate him you can tell he is very charismatic. His Jive was one of the few dances I really liked this week.

I guess it's just random who connects with the audience or not. I feel like Nikki and Vanessa are better dancers, but Nikki especially is incredibly boring and forgettable to me. Victoria is also a snoozer. Drew is a little more interesting but pretty hit or miss with the dances. Frankie, Lindsey, and Jordan are clearly the stand outs from the season (Frankie due to personality, and the others due to dance ability).

• Love 5

Coming to this one late and most has been said, but Shania was useless and mostly nonsensical.  I expect the guest judges to not be able to really talk about dance content, but her scoring was all over the place and she didn't even look like she wanted to be there.

I feel like this week panned out mostly how I expected it to on paper based on themes and dance assignments.  As soon as I saw Lindsey/Mark's assignment this week and the theme, I was expecting a showstopper and that is what we got.  Full credit to Lindsey for nailing it, but this was soooo right up Mark's alley and he had a partner who could pull the whole thing off.

I also was expecting a mess as soon as I heard that Frankie was doing jazz and they were playing trolls.  To Frankie's credit (and only his own being hard on himself persona), I saw an interview with him after the show where he said he thought he deserved lower scores and the judges were too nice to him this week.  While I believe that Frankie had done the number better in the past, I also just don't think jazz is ever going to be his thing.  I think he needs something a bit more structured.  Since he's on the lower end of the scores, especially with Nick gone, hopefully he is getting the votes.

Jordan was good of course and I enjoyed Vanessa, but mostly everyone else underwhelmed.  Speaking of Vanessa, I agree I don't really understand why Maks seems to love to have her do these group bits with the female troupe members.  On the one hand, Vanessa has enough of a personality that she doesn't allow the troupe girls to steal her shine and Jenna is always right behind her over emoting and trying to pull attention, so it's too Vanessa's credit that she can hold her own against all that neediness behind her, but enough is enough.  I don't know that any of it was necessary. 

I have nothing bad to say about Nick.  Yeah, he sucked but he tried and that is kind of the whole point.  He knew he was the worst left.  He was ready to go.  Unlike with Alexa/Carlos, I don't expect either he or Vanessa to act like the world has ended now that they have been split up.  Nick is probably happy to be done.

Oh, TO.  I really enjoyed him this week and I've really enjoyed his turn around both just in terms of his actual dancing and his whole general approach to the show/attitude and I give all of the credit to Cheryl.  Cheryl is doing a terrific job with him this season.

I don't even know who else is left. Victoria is okay and will always be only okay. The concept was cute.  Was a little surprised Len didn't comment about how the paso completely devolved into a hockey game for the last however long of the dance, but it seemed like a really long time for hockey and less time for paso.

I also don't know if I think the judges are hard on Drew or not.  He messed up some this week, which was noticeable.  But he has a fanbase and will probably survive. 

As an aside, I still will never understand the show's insistence with putting Jenna in the background of what feels like almost every number, especially when she can't blend in for shit.  She's a talented dancer, but she can't not be the center of attention and I find her mugging behind the celebs unsufferable.  It also must have killed her not to have the "featured" female role in the opener this week alongside her man.  I wish Mandy Moore would find new pet dancers.

• Love 3

TO and Cheryl FTW!

He was good this week but - ugh! I just can't stomach the thought of another football player winning, 2 years in a row no less. The football players really bug me, no matter how good they are. First there's the tongue-bathing the judges usually give them. Then there's the built-in advantage of a huge fanbase. Finally, there's something extra "precious" about the idea of a big, strong, manly football player doing ballroom dancing that sends women's' hearts afflutter and makes them all vote for them. 

• Love 1

Could...she...have.........tried..har..der...to....sound...like she knew what the fuck she was talking about?  

I really don't think it has anything to do with her trying too hard, or because of Lyme disease (though I admit I don't know much about that particular illness). I think it was more her just searching for the right words and not being as experienced at saying things quickly like Bruno, Carrie-Anne and Len know how to do. I'm a terrible public speaker; I'm much better at thinking through my thoughts and writing them out, so I would be awful on a time limit like that, trying to find the right words to express my thoughts. I imagine when Shania is interviewed, she either gets questions ahead of time so she can think about them, or they give her all the time in the world to speak and then edit for whatever program it's meant to be displayed on, whereas in this particular kind of live setting, she can't do that so her responses sounds stilted.

I thought her points were no more or less valid than any other guest judge. In fact, sometimes I thought she said some smart things about people's performances. However, her paddle scores didn't always match what she said. Then again, she doesn't have to judge according to the same criteria that the other judges do - they have experience in dance while her score would be more for the overall entertainment value of the dance.

At any rate, I thought the real crime was her lip syncing, not her judging.

Just rewatched Mark and Lindsey, and Jordan and Lindsay's dances. They were SO good! Definite stand-out routines.

And I forgot how funny Tom was when he told Lindsay, "Can I just say, you're staring at me right now [with those scary contact lenses] and it's creeping me out." LOL.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

He was good this week but - ugh! I just can't stomach the thought of another football player winning, 2 years in a row no less. The football players really bug me, no matter how good they are. First there's the tongue-bathing the judges usually give them. Then there's the built-in advantage of a huge fanbase. Finally, there's something extra "precious" about the idea of a big, strong, manly football player doing ballroom dancing that sends women's' hearts afflutter and makes them all vote for them. 

While I get your point to some degree, I don't think TO is getting near the trophy.  I'd be shocked.  He might hang in a few more weeks, but I don't think he's in any real contention to win and at the moment, I don't even expect to see him in the finals.  I think last season it was always fairly clear Rashad would at least make it to the end, if not win, but I don't think the same is true of TO.

• Love 1
On 10/24/2017 at 0:05 PM, Cappi said:

Did anyone else in the Eastern time zone have the privilege of missing the elimination at the end.  It was broadcast at 1 AM!  Thanks, Monday Night Football!

Well, at least I know now that Nick was eliminated.  He was ready to go, for sure.  

I'm in Florida. I wasn't home to watch the show live but my DVR recorded the show in its entirety. Hope that helps.

On 10/24/2017 at 8:50 PM, Andie1 said:

It appears that it's

Team Drew

Frankie

Vanessa

Victoria

vs.

Team Terrell

Lindsey

Jordan

Bella

I didn’t think it would be possible for Lindsey and Jordan to end up in the same team. This kind of lopsided on Team Terrell’s favor lol. I said before they announced the groups that whichever group had Mark for a Halloween themed group dance was gonna have a big advantage.

I wonder how they picked the group leaders and how the group leaders chose their teams.

Edited by doLLish
13 minutes ago, doLLish said:

I wonder how they picked the group leaders and how the group leaders chose their teams.

The press release mentioned that it was the lowest average scorers for captains. If it follows previous years, I'd imagine a Drew was the lowest average score and got to pick first ... which means he picked by personality and not skill. 

I'm pretty sure there has been at least one season where they left the teams up to chance and made them pick sparkly mirror balls with either team name on them, but I'm guessing that didn't happen here. The press release mentions specifically the lowest scorers building a team to help them elevate their score.

• Love 1
On 2017-10-26 at 6:10 PM, doLLish said:

I didn’t think it would be possible for Lindsey and Jordan to end up in the same team. This kind of lopsided on Team Terrell’s favor lol. I said before they announced the groups that whichever group had Mark for a Halloween themed group dance was gonna have a big advantage.

I think it’s just another manipulation.  We’re may see Terrell’s team get a shaft. And they’re going to shove Team Drew and the shitty white guys who can’t dance down our throats till we gag, because they deserve our love for being has beens. It’s just too easy for the show. If they decide to just pull a straight contest then TO has  it.  Maybe they will give immunity to the team captain

Edited by Andie1
On 24/10/2017 at 6:53 PM, madpsych78 said:

If that's the case I predict Team Terrell will take it.

I wonder how they assigned the teams. Two lowest scorers? The two tallest celebs?

Terrell and Drew were captains, and ya separate the brothers..Meh.

I think it depends on who's doing the bulk of the choreography. I remember a season when everyone thought Derek's team had it in the bag, but they lost because he did boring choreography and the other team did something a little more unique.

I would bet on Terrell's team, especially if Mark's choreographing, because he seems really on point this season. But you never know!

• Love 2
On 10/28/2017 at 1:45 AM, sinkwriter said:

I think it depends on who's doing the bulk of the choreography. I remember a season when everyone thought Derek's team had it in the bag, but they lost because he did boring choreography and the other team did something a little more unique.

I would bet on Terrell's team, especially if Mark's choreographing, because he seems really on point this season. But you never know!

This is true and I remember it lol. I’m a fan of Derek’s but even I was tiring of the “Derek’s group has never lost a group dance” drivel.

On 10/24/2017 at 6:01 PM, Toonces464 said:

The leads should have been Mark and Cheryl. Recognize your talented long-time stars that still love and come back to the show and stop foisting Val, Sharna, Peta and the unemployable-outside=DWTS Maks down our throats.

I like Val, but it seems to me that not only is the show pushing him , they're pushing his girlfriend whenever the troupe dances. I'm waiting for the baby to join Maks and Peta on the dance floor since the show is making it a family event.

• Love 4