Type keyword(s) to search

S25.E07: Week 6: A Night At The Movies

• Start Topic

Yay, Artem dyed his hair back!

Drew was really yanking Emma around the floor, wasn't he? At least, it felt like he was. I appreciated the dedication to the theme and thought it was entertaining enough, even if the Paso content was sloppy (and out of sync!).

(Shania Twain probably needs to stick to singing. Her comments are ... simply coherent (not valid) at best and get scores make no sense.)

Harsh contour doesn't do Peta any favors. And I didn't really get "western" from their theme. It was more like ... desert steampunk. I did feel badly about Nick confessing that he knew he was the worst dancer left and that getting into his head. He seems likable enough, even if he can't compete with Jordan.

I'm ... eh on Victoria's dance. It kinda felt like she walked through it. I don't agree with the judges that it was better than Drew or even Nick. 

And in former contestant corner tonight ... David Ross and John O'Hurley! Oh, and on the other side of the ballroom, Danica Mckeller! 

I'd agree with Erin, TO has been much more palatable since most memorable year night. His jive was cute and appropriately themed. That said, a 10? Um... sure, show. 

I haven't seen Trolls, but I imagine watching Trolls on acid would be about the same as watching Frankie and Witney's dance. I still love that Frankie seeks everything about his dance.

Oops on Vanessa's skirt coming off early. It was nice of Tom to move it out of the way for them. I think the dance felt frantically uncontrolled though, and what is Maks's deal with his choreo throwing Vanessa to dance with the troupe? It's super noticeable now.

Oh ... that Ed Sheeran song basically makes me cry every time I hear it. Very pretty dance. I almost agree with Len on Jordan's dance mannerisms, though. He reminds me a bit of Mario Lopez where h he's very good at movement and very good at selling his movement, but there's something ... not quite ballroom about it.

Unpopular opinion ... I didn't really like Lindsay and Mark's dance, only because I didn't feel it. I'm not sure why, but I don't see that dance as something I'll go back and watch again. (I know, bring on those counteropinions.)

I'm okay with all three of the in jeopardy couples ... but I won't lie and say I had hoped for Victoria to go.

Bye, Nick. I'm miss your positivity and enthusiasm but I won't miss the married couple showdown.

Bets on team dance captains/teams? Lindsay and Jordan are captains for sure, yes?

Edited by McManda
  • Love 6

Week 6 and an opener "starring" Val?   I guess it pays to hang close to Mandy.  We've done pretty well with just 3 judges, so why did they have to add Shania.  Love her singing but I don't want her "judging".

Nikki:  good effort but she'll never be mistaken for graceful.  I always get the feeling that Artem has to fight for the lead.  I think there was an error in the first lift sequence and of course Artem lost his balance - or was pushed off balance by Nikki powering it through. All 9s? I'd say 2-3 points too high.

Drew:  Entertaining but I think the coat kept getting in his way. Out of sync.  I think he was too much into the action "acting" and not so much the dancing.  It was barely recognizable as a paso.  A 9??? This is why I don't like having guest "judges".  Agree with the total score.

Nick:  He seems to have lost his focus and just doesn't want to be there - which came first, I don't know.  The theme is "western" ... at an auto body shop?  I don't get it. Anyway, that dance just looked painful.  Unfortunately I agree with the scores.  Shania is really taking up a lot of time trying to communicate her thoughts.  Someone needs to tell her to keep it really brief or maybe just give a thumbs up or down.

Someone needs to tell Alan that Zimbonis are run on ice in cold arenas - not exactly a shirtless venue.

Victoria:  Did Val really challenge her talent in the sport that makes her a star?  Not cool.  The paso part was good, though not sharp enough.  Her moves were all pretty soft.  But then they lost the dance to play hockey.  Agree with the scores, though surprised it was Shania giving the 7.

Terrell:  Kill a little time at the beginning, kill more time going back + forth between "rooms"...why? He looked very comfortable, at ease and doing very well - and jive isn't easy for a big guy.  Very light on his feet, sharp kicks and flicks.  Great job!  A point or two too high for all the time wasting.

Frankie:  That "jazz" just seemed like a mishmash - I couldn't figure out what they were trying to convey for an "animation" theme.  Several sync problems, the knee spin didn't work, a few things that I think were errors.  Overscored. The 7 was correct.

Vanessa:  Wow! That was fast but here & there it looked rushed, if that makes any sense.  I think Maks was a little faster than she was and it made it look like she was trying to catch up.  They looked like they were both making the effort to look like a team this week.  Agree with the scores, maybe a point too high.

Jordan:  This is maddening! Black pants, dark shirt on a dark background - it's so hard to see. Lindsay was dancing like crazy though.  Yes judges - he's highly trained. We know!

Before anyone jumps on Lindsey that she already "learned" the AT from Derek, according to Heidi (who watches Derek's every move like a hawk), she only had 3 hours of training in some AT moves for the music video. 

Lindsey:  Both Cheryl and whoever does DancingABC's instagram were raving about this dance so I knew we were in for one of Mark's specials.  This was awesome and Lindsey had the timing perfect and it really was an AT.  Happy she finally got scored correctly.

Nick - I think he's happy to go.

Edited by Uke
  • Love 9

Mark is brilliant - that's not news. But unfortunately, many times he's gotten celebrities that while talented, don't connect enough with the larger viewing audience and so he still doesn't win. See Sabrina, Paige and now, I just can't shake the feeling the same will happen with Lindsay. Of course it's entirely possible I'm making this assumption off of my own feelings and am completely wrong about the votes she's getting. Still, while I like them as a pairing and I like her well enough, I feel like if she was a shock elimination, it wouldn't bother me. That said, that dance was epic tonight and wholly deserving of the perfect score. 

That whole exchange with Len and Jordan about the hand movement and then everyone eventually doing the hand movement had me cracking up. I understand what Len was saying but I think that's often a problem for many of the male celebrities with the rumba. That is, getting the fluidity of the movement while making sure it stays masculine and strong. The flowery hand movement aside, I loved that performance and it was another that was deserving of the score. Definitely one of my favorites of the night, which is unsurprising because I do think on talent alone, Jordan and Lindsay (celebrity not his Pro) have been the best two dancers this season.

Little disappointing to see Frankie falter like he did tonight. I wonder if the "in jeopardy" last week messed with his confidence, which according to him and Witney in many of their interviews, is already not the best.  However, until this week, he's always been able to pull it together for the live show. That said, the choreography did have a lot going on so that could have contributed to his messing up the steps.

Goodbye Nick. I can't say you will be missed as you brought nothing to this show - not entertainment and definitely not good dancing. Man, sucks for Peta. Two seasons in a row she's gotten paired with guys named Nick who aren't the best dancer. Maybe they should avoid giving her anyone else named Nick.

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 5

My god, Lindsey and Mark's dance was probably my favourite of the entire season. That was just simply phenomenal and mesmerizing. I am super, super impressed. She did a fantastic job, as did Mark with the choreography. That was just stunning. I can see why they went last. However, I needed the audience to be more excited. They seemed pretty dead, or at least quieter than they should have been. At least, that's how I feel.

I thought Jordan and Lindsay's dance was beautiful, not to my surprise. I think it was very fluid and moving. However, I have to agree with Len, and I do feel like his ballroom dances are less ballroom, and...I don't know, more contemporary or something? I still love him and would love for him to win, but I do think he has some weaknesses. 

I love Frankie's enthusiasm. I agree there were a lot of mistakes in his dance and I agree with his scores. But hell, he may not have been in my top three favourite dances this week, but he's still in my top three favourites this season. I get that he's not the best dancer, but he's a top performer. 

I love that Nikki/Artem got such a high score for a really good dance. I was afraid of their score when they went first. 

Drew/Emma's dance was fun, but I admit to forgetting about it not long after it ended. I had to sit and think about it as I was typing this.

So, I enjoyed Vanessa/Maks' dance, but it still had a little too much going on with the troupe. They did try harder to show Vanessa/Maks together in the pre-package. 

I didn't see all of Terrell's dance because I was flipping through channels, but what I saw of it, it wasn't bad. He's growing on me more than he had at the beginning, so I'm ok with him sticking around another week.

Well, bye Nick, except we'll for sure see you next week and you'll probably be up in the Sky Box when Vanessa needs to be interviewed.

Also, yeah, I just tuned out Shania whenever she was judging. I like Shania as a singer, but not so much as a judge.

• Love 2

Shania sounded tipsy, and toward the end so dd CA. Passing the flask under the table?lol

I thought the music and or song choice was just horrible this week

OMG! Mark and lindsey, I watched their routine twice,best of the season  so far....just incredible, and we saw all the AT, sharp and wonderful footwork

I'm okay with Nick going home, I believe he is as well

Love Frankie, but he wasn't as good as last week. Neither was Drew..

Week 6 and an opener "starring" Val?   

I didn't like the opening number, not at all

• Love 2

Drew - Len said it best:  awkward and disjointed.

Nick - he was the weakest dancer left.

Victoria - OK but she did seem to walk more than dance (credit McManda above).

T.O. - best dance so far for him.  He is much more open to criticism and direction from Chreryl now...and it shows.  Shania gave him the 10 - so I'm OK with it.

Oh, Frankie....that was not a great dance.  Love your willingness and dedication....but that was sloppy.

Vanessa - scores too high.  I just am not seeing what the judges see in her dancing.

Jordan - he is a ringer....repeat ringer.  I can live with that...but again credit to McManda, the mannerisms are really getting to me now.

Linday - creative, sharply danced...but I am not as excited about it as others.

Edited by sinycalone

Shania sounded tipsy, and toward the end so dd CA. Passing the flask under the table?lol

I thought Shania Twain had some odd mannerisms and trouble speaking, and then a friend told me that Shania was diagnosed with Lyme disease several years ago and it affected her ability to sing/speak, which explained a lot.  

• Love 5

Mark's choreography is hit or miss for me, but his AT tonight has been my favorite DWTS dance in a loooong time. Kudos to him for pulling off something fresh on a show that's been on for 25 seasons.

Why does this show insist on bringing in "celebrity guest judges" who know nothing about dance? I adore Shania Twain, but that was painful to watch. And her scores should be excluded from the scores/votes total.

Edited by chocolatine
  • Love 6
11 minutes ago, McManda said:

Drew was really yanking Emma around the floor, wasn't he? At least, it felt like he was. I appreciated the dedication to the theme and thought it was entertaining enough, even if the Paso content was sloppy (and out of sync!).

Same. I was sitting here like, "Geez, Drew, try not to throw Emma into the crowd, okay?" :p. But yeah, it was fun to see him get so into it. Same with Frankie, even if this dance was probably one of his weaker ones.

I thought Nikki, Terrell, and Lindsey's dances were the strongest ones tonight (and I thought Nikki looked really pretty). And they made the right choice in sending Nick home. Everyone that's left has had at least one good dance thus far, if not more, so it'll be interesting to see how things play out from here. 

12 minutes ago, truthaboutluv said:

Okay, that whole exchange with Len and Jordan about the hand movement and then everyone eventually doing the hand movement had me cracking up. 

I liked when Tom started joining in, too. I was half expecting one of the judges to do the little hand wave when holding up their paddle :D. 

As for Shania Twain, she....looks very different. Wow. 

Okay - I jumped off my ABC-You-f**D-me-over-by-taking-away-my-Canadaian-vote and went and tried to vote and the ABC site keeps telling me that I can't vote, only people in the United STates and its territories can.  WTF?

Found it because I watched an ad for it on the show - google did not give up the correct address upon being asked to search "dwts vote canada".

Edited by crowceilidh
  • Love 1

I was screaming while watching Mark and Lindsey...best dance of the season for me.

I wish Len hadn't brought up the hand movement with Jordan.... now I can't unsee it. It actually looks funny and almost bordering on camp when Jordan moves his hands that way.

Maks should please allow Vanessa dance without the troupes, it's getting very repetitive now.

• Love 4

Tonight was interesting.  After the horrendous overscoring of Frankie during Disney week,it was finally time to get real

Nikki and Artem- I thought this was her best effort to date.  She actually danced with some nuance.  And I liked the lifts and they added to the piece.  I would give it 8 with a 9 thrown in for authenticity of the dance.

Drew- this was a hot mess, the choreography seemed way off, especially at the beginning even the troupe members were dancing wonky.  He was way over thinking everything, adrenalin made him lose timing.  Footwork was very messy. 7 was about right

Victoria- I thought the choreography was really fresh and fun, and preferred the actual Paso to Drew by far.   8s were about right.

Nick- they gave him Samba so it would just justify why his fans have to stop voting. 

Terrell- the jive could have been sharper, but he was on time, the choreography was cute, the doors were there to catch a breath, but I think it really stopped the dance.  The 10 was crazy,  the 9 was okay, I would have put in an 8 because his footwork needed polish.

Frankie - Terrible music, bad choreography, dumb costume.  And the dancing was terrible, especially the parts that were in hold. Finally getting the scores he deserves.

Vanessa- Sloppy and flat footed QS - obvious breaking of hold, but it was entertaining and better than last week  Len should have took out the 8 paddle and stop being directed by the showrunners.

Jordan- I agree that he was dressed in dark clothes, but he had wonderful foot placement, great hip action, great acting, he told a story through his continuous movement all the way through the piece. The nitpicking of an arm was not enough for me to say it was a 9 - that was the best Rumba of any male contestant on the show.  

Lindsey - that was some badass choreography. Oh and just to put an exclamation on it, The lifts were exciting, intricate and spellbinding. Just what an Argentine Tango deserves.  And even though it was theatrical and the music was not something I would put on my play list, they danced the hell out of it- Well done Lindsey and Mark well deserved. I would have enjoyed it more if they did not include troupe members. They added nothing.  

Edited by Andie1
  • Love 4
9 minutes ago, chocolatine said:

Why does this show insist on bringing in "celebrity guest judges" who know nothing about dance?

I was wondering the same thing. For a night like this, it would've made way more sense to have a guest judge who's had experience choreographing dance scenes in movies or something of that sort. 

• Love 5

Mark and Lindsey were my faves (OMG... her eyes!!!) and Jordan and Lindsay a close second. Cheryl and T's jive was decent... the rest are a blur.

It was time for Nick to go.

Shania was "off" tonight - being Canadian, I give her a pass... but I think DWTS having a guest judge (who isn't a dance expert) is a huge mistake - it was awkward (I felt sorry for her when she was searching for words), and her scoring was strange at times. JMO. I'm positive she was lip-syncing (sp?) her song.

Looking forward to Hallowe'en! Especially Mark - he always has the best costumes!

• Love 3
14 minutes ago, Bosstonz16 said:

I thought Shania Twain had some odd mannerisms and trouble speaking, and then a friend told me that Shania was diagnosed with Lyme disease several years ago and it affected her ability to sing/speak, which explained a lot.  

Isn't she going on tour? 

8 minutes ago, crowceilidh said:

Okay - I jumped off my ABC-You-f**D-me-over-by-taking-away-my-Canadaian-vote and went and tried to vote and the ABC site keeps telling me that I can't vote, only people in the United STates and its territories can.  WTF?

You can vote on facebook..I do every week. Cityline.ca/dwtsvotes

My comment tonight is about Max and Vanessa's Quick Step...what happened to the not breaking hold? And her having a solo piece with the troupe? Was the big break so that she and Max didn't have to dance closely? I thought that the QS was supposed to be in close hold. What gives?

Edited by suebee12
  • Love 3

Shania Twain was excruciating to watch. If they wanted her to perform, bring her on to perform. There was no reason for her to sit behind the judge's table where she was obviously uncomfortable and had no idea what she was talking about.

Tonight's dance drove home why I've missed Mark so much. He and Derek need to team up and go do something on Broadway.

Has Vanessa danced a single dance this season without the troupe? Now that Nick and Peta have been eliminated, I suspect we'll see them show up in their dance next week. And has anyone else noticed since Maks's no show, they haven't gotten any air time at all with Erin after their dances? I was annoyed they broke hold and no one said a word about it.

TO has really grown on me.

I think next to go will be Nikki. She's the most forgettable out of everyone left. 

Edited by Toonces464
  • Love 2
17 minutes ago, crowceilidh said:

I think you need to do it through CTV's website, not ABC's? Either that or it'll direct you to vote via Facebook. I've never bothered to look into it.

This is my first season watching.

I like Nick, but he was definitely the worst. I actually thought his performance this week was better than last week or had more successful moments at least. That score was abysmal; I didn't think his performance was that dreadful. 

I loved Lindsey's performance. She and Mark were amazing. I liked how stylized it seemed. 

I thought Nikki was overscored a bit. She did well, but it seemed like it was a big effort (vs. effortless). 

I have been surprised to enjoy a lot of Frankie's performances, but this one was not a win for me. Kind of boring. Maybe if I had seen a trolls movie? 

Hello fellow DWTS fans. It’s A Night at the Movies!

Nikki and Artem - I like Nikki. This was pretty. She’s right about her technique though, her legs were all over the place during those lift flicks. Agree with Carrie Anne’s critique for once. When the strength in her arms extends to her legs she’ll be unstoppable.

The way they do the results is really horrible. None of it works. Not mid show. Not right before a couple dances. Not annoyingly rushed at the end. Revealing if they’re safe or not after the dance is okay but seriously. Bring back the results show. Even if it’s for half an hour. I miss Macy’s Stars of Dance!! And the package of the couple that’s leavings best moments. This is just so...cheap.

Drew and Emma - I’m honestly over Drew. He literally bores me to tears. This routine was everything but boring though. Emma did an amazing job with the choreography. Drew can really still go at anytime though. This was a situation where the dancer sadly didn’t do the choreography any justice at all. Agree with the judges here. 

I really hate guest judges. They generally know nothing about ballroom dance or dance in general and all they do is ramble on about nothingness and over-score. Keep it.

Nick and Peta - I feel bad for Nick. He seems like such a nice guy. Again loved the choreography. Nick literally looked like struggle while he was in hold. He put everything into it though, that much was obvious, and I appreciate that. 

Shania is annoying me and just a waste of airtime.

Victoria and Val - Here goes my weekly shoutout to the set designers. They can really do anything at this point it’s amazing. The Mighty Ducks is one of my favorite movies of all time too so I enjoyed this a lot. The pros are on it this week. Victoria though...her technique is meh, she doesn’t do anything very well but she also doesn’t do anything very bad. That will get her through a couple more weeks but I don’t know if that will sustain her through the end.

Terrell and Cheryl - their pre dance package was hilarious lmao. Loved loved LOVED the concept of this routine! So creative. I thought they spent a little too much time doing the “robbery” and mulling about, but overall so freaking enjoyable. People like to talk about “what this show is about” - supposedly people who can’t dance learning and growing every week...if that’s the case, to me Terrell embodies that more than anyone else. He’s honestly become a joy to watch. I may vote for him tonight. 

Watching on delay so I skipped Shania’s performance. Moving on.

Frankie and Witney - Hmm I’m not sure why I didn’t really love this. It was fun but something about it was very weird. Frankie is a really good dancer though but tonight...mmmm. I’m looking forward to what they do for Halloween week!

Erin is extra annoying this week.

Vanessa and Maks - I’m sorry, I don’t know what it is about her but Vanessa makes me smile guys. I. Loved. THIS!! I’m really surprised she didn’t miss a step when her skirt fell off. That was so fun, so high energy...literally everything I want when I watch this show. Didn’t know Maks was capable of this type of thing anymore.

Jordan and Lindsay - My faves. Beautiful. Nuanced. Performed with every single inch of their bodies. Jordan is one of the best male stars this show has ever seen and I’m so glad he’s with Lindsay. Their chemistry is amazing but their friendship? Even more so. 

Lindsey and Mark - My other faves! I love Mark so much. Lindsey has really grown on me. Classic Mark Ballas right here. He is just...on another level. WOW. I don’t even know what to say. This has leaped somewhere near the top of my favorite DWTS performances ever. Agree that it’s the best dance of the season so far. Spectacular!

I wonder why the powers that be didn’t do the married couple in the bottom two thing like they did with Alexa and Carlos? Nick has finally been put out of his misery. Next week shall be amazing. Halloween Night with the way these pros are choreographing? I cannot wait!

• Love 7

I really enjoyed the opening number.  It was nice to see it have a glamorous old hollywood feel instead of the same old stripper moves that they do each week, each season, each year.  Plus it tied in to the movie theme this week.

I also liked the individual introductions which was a great surprise.  I thought Shania was going to be great but she turned out to be painful to watch.  Miss there unfortunately.

• Love 4

Thanks to everyone for the voting info.  I actually saw an ad that directed me to success.  You'd think ABC might have a redirect address instead of just the nasty message.

I hated the opening number - you could see what MM was trying for, but the dancers failed to deliver it.  It's not often that I think the pros aren't doing it well, but tonight was one of those.

I really liked everything about this theme, otherwise.  The only dance I ffed through was Nick and Peta's.

I'll have to watch Frankie's again, because I only saw one messy bit when he was kneeling on the floor and turning.  I actually thought it was a not bad dance/song/performance.; they couldn't do Disney because it's been done and people would mutter, but I bet Disney didn't let them do anything else recognizable.  Unless I'm just way out the loop and somebody recognizes what that was.

I pretty much liked it all.  Mark's choreo is all that an a box of frogs and the way Lindsey performed it was... superlatives-completely-fail-me.

• Love 3
28 minutes ago, doLLish said:

The way they do the results is really horrible. None of it works. Not mid show. Not right before a couple dances. Not annoyingly rushed at the end. Revealing if they’re safe or not after the dance is okay but seriously. Bring back the results show. Even if it’s for half an hour. I miss Macy’s Stars of Dance!! And the package of the couple that’s leavings best moments. This is just so...cheap.

I miss the results show very much. I know people wanted it gone, but I miss the pro performances to well-known musical guests, I miss the results not being rushed and I miss seeing the couples have their last moments together. Tonight by the time the camera got over to them, Peta and Nick were already off with their other halves.

• Love 7

Shania was as useless as ever. Couldn't make coherent thoughts, absurd scoring, and an obviously and badly lip synced performance. Probably on of the worst guest judges ever next to Abby Lee.

Loved that Nikki is improving and getting better scores. I think she's improved her confidence since her last ballroom/Latin dance. She's had Contemporary and Jazz back to back.

Drew was just not in control of his attack at all. Shania's 9 was all kinds of crazy.

Nick was so happy to go home, he was over it and I suspect he only did the show for Vanessa, who regardless of if she and Maks get along is a contender. That Quickstep was great. Loved how the skirt moment didn't shake her or cause a slip. Gotta love Tom's dad instincts to move the skirt off.

Victoria was good, not her bets, but sports, hockey and Paso was a super tough combo to make work.

Frankie is horribly inconsistent. from a 9 to 7's and then to a 29 now back to 7's and 8's. That is what stop him from gaining momentum; it's stopped the very next week.

Jordan is a great dancer, obviously from his training, which somehow no one seems to care about (unless you're a female ringer), but his hands and arms sometimes bother me. It's almost too placed, too rehearsed, and I don't connect with his personality in any way. Comes off a bit cold.

Lindsey and Mark had the dance of the season. Perfect mix of concept and content. Not to mention, Lindsey's legs, OMG! That last trick was incredible. Mark is in his choreograph prime.

I know some say it's Lindsay Arnold's time, but honestly Mark has gone what like 18 seasons now without a win and so many close calls or people that should've won (Paige, Katherine, etc).

• Love 3

You know it’s a strange night when Nikki, Terrell and Vanessa didn’t get less than one 9 between them and I’d say one of those three will be eliminated next week. Drew was a hot mess and he’s at the bottom but you just know he’s got an army of Property Brothers viewers voting for him, as has Frankie as has Victoria.

• Love 2

Frankie was not great tonight but the band didn't help either. (Does the band ever help????!!)   Jordan is always nice to watch...sure he's the token ringer but he's not going to win so at least I get to watch some decent dancing along the way.   Since he's so much better than everyone else I think he should have to dance to the screeching of the Band every week to make it more fair LOL.   Glad Nick got sent home.

Victoria was overscored...I watched it again and thought she deserved 7s and knew she would get 8s.   Meh.

The opening number just made me miss the Derek/Christopher Scott collaboration Macy’s number from a few years ago. Similar concept, executed a bit better, imo.

Seemed like an off week to me, really only liking Lindsey and Mark. I still like Jordan overall but agree with some of the awkward finishing comments. I’ve seen it with him all season, which is why I sort of laugh when people say his training means he has nothing to work on. He has that to work on, or he’s headed towards 2nd or 3rd place.

• Love 1

Jordan’s arm went up once with a turn in it,  the  arm movement on the rope turns and the cucarachas were excellent.  Len didn’t mention that. Most of the time you get mechanical arm placement and pancake hands, I’ve yet to see a  male dancer do what Jordan did, Jordan’s movement was organic even though he’s got a bad rotar cuff injury and very bad  hips, from when he was in gymnastics,

you’d never know it. Yet, he struggled in rehearsal according to Lindsay.  I loved this Rumba because that dance moved me. Sure I like theatrical pieces but to win this show I want to see great partner dances that can be emotional or cathartic for the viewer. 

• Love 6
1 hour ago, suebee12 said:

My comment tonight is about Max and Vanessa's Quick Step...what happened to the not breaking hold? And her having a solo piece with the troupe? Was the big break so that she and Max didn't have to dance closely? I thought that the QS was supposed to be in close hold. What gives?

I was wondering about that as well.

• Love 4

I felt like Len was really reaching sometimes in his judging tonight, perhaps as part of a show manipulation. 

I know he's got the critical eye for dance, but it felt like he was trying to find anything in order to nitpick Jordan's performance. SO unnecessary. Their dance was gorgeous.

Likewise, I felt he was once again being too hard on Drew. Ever since week 1 he's had a stick up his ass about Drew's performances and I think it's an unfair assessment (especially when he turns around and heartily compliments some of the other guys who have issues of their own as well). Maybe I need to watch Drew's performance again, because I didn't see all the flaws they were bitching about. I saw some issues, yes, because Drew's not the best or strongest dancer  in the season, but overall he came out and his movements hit with the music (especially coming out of the tumble near the end) and I thought he did pretty well, all things considered.

I feel that they were looking to keep Nick on as long as possible to keep up the 'dueling spouses' schtick, so they kept over-complimenting Nick while slaughtering Drew (perhaps because they hadn't anticipated that Drew would have a bigger fanbase than Nick?). And they probably want to keep at least one athlete as well so they didn't even mention all the 'faffing about' that TO's dance had with all that room switching and safe cracking, etc. Don't get me wrong, I like Terrell so I'm glad he's one of the last guys left, but I don't think he deserves huge scores for some of his dances while Drew gets skewered for putting just as much of his all into his routines. I won't be surprised if Drew is the next to leave - they've all but set that up since week 1 and Len drove that point home tonight, excessively so. Reminds me of how he used to browbeat Charlie after pretty much every dance. (Of course, Charlie was much more skilled dancer than Drew, but neither of them deserved the melodramatic judging they've been put through.)

Best dances of the night for me were Jordan (that dance was silky smooth), Lindsey (fantastic!), and Vanessa (she threw herself into that dance with every bit of her body). 

Unpopular opinion ... I didn't really like Lindsay and Mark's dance, only because I didn't feel it. I'm not sure why, but I don't see that dance as something I'll go back and watch again. (I know, bring on those counteropinions.)

I loved it, but I actually felt it could have used even more flair and drama. I loved the little touches where her head or hand turned and turned and the sound effects went with it to sound very robotic and mechanical, and I wanted more of that. I also wanted the ending to be a little more definitive - I wasn't sure who had the upper hand in the end, and I kind of wanted to see the machines overpower Mark. A little hint of 'you shouldn't play Dr. Frankenstein because it will come back to bite you in the butt.' Though maybe that's a little too scary for family TV night. *GRIN*

Shania... why did you lip sync? At first I thought they were just using one of those voice modulator things to keep her sounding always in tune, which always makes the singer sound mechanical (which I HATE), but then the camera showed her face during a particular kind of note and her mouth was barely open (which would have made it impossible for her to sound open the way she did) and I was like, "There is no way she's singing that live at all." 

• Love 2

So Nick has finally been put out of my misery.  He does seem like a nice guy but I've always found him boring, even at the height of his boybander days.  It's ironic that Vanessa is outlasting him - and actually turning out to be good - when I doubt she'd be on the show if she wasn't Nick Lachey's wife. 

As far as I could see, they could have put a fembot in Shania Twain's place tonight - the woman rambling on tonight did not look or sound anything like the 'real' Shania Twain. I found her increasingly annoying.

Could not believe that Terrell and Cheryl were in jeopardy. 

I know I'm bitching a lot, but I actually think this is mostly a talented group. I never imagined I'd be this interested in watching Frankie Muniz dance, but he and Witney are so entertaining and good together, though this was not their best dance. I love Lindsay Sterling and Jordan, enjoy Terrell, Vanessa, Victoria, Nikki and Drew (who also didn't have his best week) and enjoy Tom taking more and more of the interaction with the teams, and giving Erin - who bores me to tears - less.

• Love 1

First of all, I don't like how they tell people they are in jeopardy before they do their dance. It just doesn't seem right.

I love a lot of Shania's songs, but hearing/watching her judge tonight was almost painful.

Nikki--this was her best dance for me so far, but did she almost knee Artem in the groin during one of those lifts? I also feel like she was the one to cause him to go off-balance at the end.

Drew--that was a hectic mess, but he is showing improvement. If he can learn to control the adrenaline and focus on the moves more than the acting part, he would probably do better.

Nick--he was right, he was the worst dancer left. That being said, I appreciated his positive attitude and the fact that he still tried the best he could.

Victoria--still not really connecting with her. I don't think it was a bad dance, per se, but it didn't feel like a Paso to me.

Terrell--I may have said it before, but I think he gets the "most improved" award. He seems to be enjoying himself more and more. I enjoyed the Jive portion of his dance, but to use Len's words, there was too much faffing about the rest of the time.

Frankie--Oh, Frankie, to see such joy and dedication and effort, and then to have a few blunders. :( Still hope to see him in the finals. 

Vanessa--I thought Quickstep wasn't supposed to break hold in the middle. Other than that, I thought she danced really well and managed the skirt mishap like a champ.

Jordan--I always enjoy watching him dance, but honestly his dances are all kind of starting to look the same to me. I hope he gets a dance style soon that makes him have to do something different.

Lindsey--best dance of the night. Kind of weird, but executed very well.

• Love 2

I know Nick was not good but I don’t know.. he seemed to always be having a good time and a good attitude. I’ll miss him. And the Lacheys were not as terrible as the last married couple that did this thing, remember how dramatic that that elimination was? I remember that whole night reading the forums here and cracking up. 

That’s one thing I kind of love about this season- everyone is having fun and enjoying it. I remember a few seasons where contestants were terrible and showing how miserable they were or saying things like “this is taking up so much of my time” as if they were forced to do this and they aren’t gaining something out of it.. because let’s be real, they are, their names are getting out into the press and they’re doing this for some sort of publicity. That always annoyed me. Luckily it hasn’t happened yet this season. 

• Love 9

Thank goodness we got the studio recording of "Feel It Still" instead of the house band's rendition!

Maybe TPTB weren't entirely sure how all the players in a Maks/Vanessa, Peta/Nick Bottom 2 would react, so they decided against staging the results that way.

Danica McKellar with her (blonde) mom in the audience reminded me all over of how it blew my mind to learn that Winnie and Becky Slater were sisters in real life! (Wonder Years trivia for the uninitiated).

• Love 2
2 hours ago, doLLish said:

I wonder why the powers that be didn’t do the married couple in the bottom two thing like they did with Alexa and Carlos? 

I suspect it was because there wouldn't be any suspense.  Vanessa is doing well, Nick wasn't.  With Alexa and Carlos, their scores were running pretty close to each other pretty much every week and were taking turns of one scoring ahead of the other.

• Love 1
22 minutes ago, Uke said:

I suspect it was because there wouldn't be any suspense.  Vanessa is doing well, Nick wasn't.  With Alexa and Carlos, their scores were running pretty close to each other pretty much every week and were taking turns of one scoring ahead of the other.

That's probably a part of it, plus I think with Carlos and Alexa all the crying and melodrama didn't go over well with fans so they opted not to do it again.

It would've been more believable if they decided to do it this week cause Nick and Vanessa were at the bottom.