Type keyword(s) to search

Top Chef Junior - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I've really enjoyed this show. It's about cooking, except it's children instead of adults. So unlike Masterchef Junior, which I like, but which makes me cringe at times. Anyhow I'm cheering for Milo since he's local and his dad is at a teacher at my niece and nephew's high school. (My niece said she didn't have him for a teacher.) Plus he's good. Rihanna is my second favorite. Besides being a good cook, I've enjoyed her attitude all season, unlike sulky Jasmine, who was getting on my nerves toward the end.

I'll miss Henry. I really liked his commentary.

• Love 1
On 1/18/2018 at 5:30 AM, Lamb18 said:

I've really enjoyed this show. It's about cooking, except it's children instead of adults. So unlike Masterchef Junior, which I like, but which makes me cringe at times. 

That's because this show has nothing to do with Gordon Ramsay.  Granted, we've seen some stupid challenges on the original recipe Top Chef, but no comparison to MasterChef, MasterChef Jr or Hell's Kitchen.

• Love 1

Still so sad that Henry is gone . . .sigh.  I really thought that Milo and Rahanna would be the final two.  Milo has been so consistent--it was sad to see how devestated he was at the end.  I'm ok with Owen and Rahanna though.  Rahanna needs to step it up if she wants to win!  Owen killed it this week!

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Real4real said:

really thought that Milo and Rahanna would be the final two.  Milo has been so consistent--it was sad to see how devestated he was at the end.  I'm ok with Owen and Rahanna though.

I figured it would be Owen when Henry was eliminated they had highlighted their friendship and wanting to open a restaurant together and he has been wellreceived. Milo seemed to be a mix.

• Love 2

I'm glad that Rahanna is still there and I hope she wins it all. It was heartbreaking to see Milo so upset to be eliminating.  I think this is the first kids competition show that I have liked every contestant on the show. They are all good cooks and no one was filled with drama or obnoxious behavior.  I hope next season is like this too. I loved watching them all cook.  Go Rahanna!

• Love 4

I soured on Owen when I caught a glimpse of him in the background during the Food Fight episode doing a grudging slow clap when Fuller took round 1. I think Rahanna is great but I wish Milo would have won.

Henry, Milo, and Owen can cook the proverbial rings around Rahanna. Maybe Owen will reach too far (like making ten things instead of one) and lose, IOW defeat himself, but otherwise the contest is his to lose.

Edited by LennieBriscoe
  • Love 2

i think they held Rahanna up so that there was a female (and luckily for them a minority) in the finale. And I say this as a fan of Rahanna's from Oakland. I don't see how she can win this. She's a huge underdog, that's for sure. 

• Love 2

Not trying to be sexist here, but it's pretty obvious that Rahanna was held up...she should have gone home with Henry, then lo and behold she gets the save when she's actually on the bottom, then the one time Milo slips up he's gone. Gender roles, especially in kids shows where they specificially state several times "I want a boy or girl to win" or "there's only 2 girls left". Universal kids knows that kids need to get an equal mindset, blah, blah, imagine if the final 3 were Milo, Henry, and Owen. Riots!

This happens to a lesser extent on Top Chef (the main one) and other reality TV shows too. There always seems to be an uncanny gender balance, even when it is obvious that one particular gender is stronger in that particular case (it goes both ways).

• Love 3
21 hours ago, bobbobbob199 said:

...it's pretty obvious that Rahanna was held up...she should have gone home with Henry, then lo and behold she gets the save when she's actually on the bottom, then the one time Milo slips up he's gone. Gender roles, especially in kids shows where they specificially state several times "I want a boy or girl to win" or "there's only 2 girls left". Universal kids knows that kids need to get an equal mindset, blah, blah, imagine if the final 3 were Milo, Henry, and Owen. Riots!

Milo was eliminated once before.  But he got a "save" jar and stayed for two or three more episodes.

I am so impressed by these young teens.  Their composure, positive attitude, and genuine support of each other is so nice to see.  Plus they seem to really like each other.  I really can't say that I'm rooting for one more than another of the two who are left (Rahanna and Owen).

• Love 5

Owen for the win. I thought they were pretty amazing and by the the judges comments they thought so too. So impressed with these teens they all were such good sports and seemed to have cooked some great food. Hope they do another season and I hope they show this season on Bravo (the entire season).

• Love 1

Way to go, Owen and Rahanna.  I enjoyed the finale so much.  I can’t always say that. 

Congrats to Owen on the win. 

And, just like with ‘my AGT kids’, I’ll be plugging your names in a search engine to see what is happening in your lives from this point forward.   Great things I know.  

All of the cheftestants should be proud, stay grounded, and work hard just like you’ve shown yourselves to be on the show. 

Yeah it wasn't even close. Not even just the food but the way she perfomed in the kitchen, it appeared that Shirley took a lot more of a lead role in the kitchen than Brooke.

I adore Henry, I am so glad he and Owen met because they are such kindred spirits. I would watch a show of Owen and Henry travelling around France or visiting high end restaurants. 

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 3

I'm watching this right now. I'm actually impressed with Milo in how he's helping out Rihanna. She asks him to do something, he says, "Yes, chef" without any questions. I see above that Owen wins but to me Rihanna was so much more organized in shopping and prep, I thought she might win.

Blaise looks so stupid with that jacket that someone painted blue flowers on.

It was so sweet to see how proud Owen's dad was of him.

This was a really good show.

• Love 2

just saw finale - it was amazing how these two young teens kept their cool as they cooked.  It was so sweet to see them excited about meeting the "real" chefs.

Congratulations to Owen for winning!  I would have been happy with Rahanna winning too.  They are both likeable, knowledgeable, and eager to learn.  The way they supported each other and how cute when they were looking back on their season - sweet of the production to have an album (I wonder if they got to keep one each?) I hope that Rahanna got some kind of consolation prize.

I think they will both go far in whatever they choose to do in their lives.  

• Love 2

Both Owen and Rahanna were pretty sweet, and they were delightful to watch.  Owen's plating skills are particularly impressive.  Gotta say, though, that the thing I'd most want to eat was Rahanna's sweet potato-pecan pie with a black pepper crust.  Good luck to all of them.  I can't help but wonder which of them will still want to be chefs.  A lot of them seem like all-around achievers, and cooking may turn out to be for them what piano or soccer is for so many kids--an activity that is/was a source of great pleasure but not where they end up bringing their talents.

• Love 1

I would be shocked if Owen or Henry abandons this career goal. Their knowledge is already deep and broad (e.g., Owen not only knows of Michelin 3-Star chefs; he knows their RECIPES), and their years-long experience in mastering various techniques, in discovering flavors and cuisines, and, finally, in being in this competition, point towards continuation.

That is to say, they have been in the arena with famous chefs---as helpers, as judges, as tasters---and been found worthy.

This wasn't the school recital; it was the Van Cliburn competition!

• Love 1

Not sure if anyone still visits here, but my DVR picked up a new episode for tonight at 6pm.  It's described as a boot camp for 23 chefs that will compete for a chance to join Season 2.  No other new episodes are listed.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, lb60 said:

Not sure if anyone still visits here, but my DVR picked up a new episode for tonight at 6pm.  It's described as a boot camp for 23 chefs that will compete for a chance to join Season 2.  No other new episodes are listed.

I found a premiere date for the next season of 8 September. Not sure what the new episode is tonight but my TiVo stands ready to find out. I see that they filmed a pre-season special about the casting process--maybe tonight's episode will be that? (I'm on West Coast time so 6 PM is still in the future for me...)

Was the girl, Haley, shown about 9 minutes in who said something about vegetables being hard for her because she was color blind on another show?

I wasn't even looking up when she first started speaking and I turned because her voice was so familiar. Anyone recall her from one of the KBC or maybe Chopped Junior seasons?

(I'm watching as I was typing this and she DOES make it to day 2 and is in the first group to go cook, which sort of makes me up my suspicion I am remembering her from another show and she's just grown up since then which is why I can't place her from whatever she seems to be familiar to me from...)

I'm curious if they did anything like this 'bootcamp' in the past or not. It sure should help weed out having a kid that is in WAY over their head compared to the others. Not that it can't still happen, but knowing they have some degree of knife skills, ability to cook some meats and veggies to specification, and a sort of 'mystery box' is probably a good 'test' after they do the earlier screening rounds, etc.

ETA: Found her!  It was driving me nuts. She won a Chopped Junior episode http://www.journalgazette.net/food/Junior-chef-helps-out-15142571 and   http://archive.courierpress.com/columnists/keeping-up-with-chopped-junior-winner-haley-mattes-366e39f8-212e-18d1-e053-0100007f5c85-384917581.html  and then went on to compete to make it the Chopped Junior Championship Grand Finale round. https://www.usmagazine.com/entertainment/news/chopped-junior-final-four-compete-for-spot-in-grand-finale-w488706/

Edited by onatrek
found he!
  • Love 2

I met Jaime a bunch when she was living in SF and so it was more noticeable. Jaime used to be tiny.

Maybe too many scallops.

I liked that they did not show the kids getting eliminated. Looking forward to the return of this show so I guess the special worked on me.

I was commercial skipping and I thought I had fast forwarded too much. I like how they were fan-boying over last year's contestants.  Yet, I couldn't help comparing the contestants. IE the fan-boying contestant is this year's Milo, etc. 

• Love 2
20 hours ago, biakbiak said:

Vanessa was in several of the clips.

Thank you. I’ll still watch tho.

Did anyone else see that one commercial thingy about Ninja Warriors that covered up the whole screen?

11 minutes ago, Simon47 said:

Did anyone else see that one commercial thingy about Ninja Warriors that covered up the whole screen?

Yes! So annoying! The first time they did that, I thought I'd missed a cut to commercial. No, they were just obscuring the show I was trying to watch with a commercial over the top.

Universal Kids Network. My DVR picked it up just fine, thank goodness. It airs at such an odd time!

As for the episode, the right cheftestant went home. His meatballs were way too dry. 

Love the camaraderie between the kids. They remind me of the contestants on The Great British Bake Off, always supportive of each other.

Edited by Sew Sumi
16 minutes ago, jcbrown said:

What network is it on and when? My TiVo isn't showing any episodes.

My TiVo said the same thing, I had to go to Universal Kids to manually record it. It happened with my sister as well! So annoying because they were marked as new.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 1

I missed the whole first season because I didn't know that Sprout (on my Comcast listing) was the same as Universal Kids.  

I hate that they're calling the kids "Chef" but I liked the first episode otherwise.  Curtis Stone does a good job of being kindly matter-of-fact with his criticism without being condescending or going overboard with praise.  I disliked Tyler from the start so I was glad to see him go.  

The first episode was actually shown on Bravo, where the selection process for the 12 "chefs" was shown, then the actual series bounced back to Universal Kids.  So weird.  Clearly Bravo has a stake in it because of the Mothership, so I don't understand why they don't show the episodes as well.

Edited by Rammchick
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, Rammchick said:

The first episode was actually shown on Bravo, where the selection process for the 12 "chefs" was shown, then the actual series bounced back to Universal Kids.  So weird.  Clearly Bravo has a stake in it because of the Mothership, so I don't understand why they don't show the episodes as well.

The episode that was aired on Bravo already aired in early August on Universal Kids, actually the one that aired in August was longer than the preview that aired on Bravo.

I still can’t believe that Carson is 13!

• Love 1