Type keyword(s) to search

Top Chef Junior - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Heh.  Apparently Eater felt the same way.  This was their article title back in May, "‘Top Chef’ Is Getting the Kid-Centric Spinoff Nobody Asked For".

People notes that this new show will feature kids ages 9 through 14 performing challenges similar to the ones on the O.G. Top Chef, including Restaurant Wars. The 14-episode series will debut in October.

Not in that article, but I read somewhere else, it'll be on the Universal Kids network.

• Love 1

I've never heard of the Universal Kids network and I don't see it on my list of networks carried by Comcast.  Is it a subsidiary of Bravo or something?  

Have anyone else watched this?  I caught the first episode yesterday.  It was almost painful to watch with all the kids crying and so stressed out.  The judges were much kinder to them than they are to the adults, but the pressure for the kids is obviously intense.  

• Love 1

So, I just watched it today and have to agree--this was sooo intense for those kids.  Can't believe what they managed to put out though.  It was impressive!

General thoughts:

Eleven is too young.

I liked how supportive and encouraging the judges were.

I wish they would give them a little longer time to work than they do on the regular show--even just 15 minutes.  It's a lot to expect them to have great time management skills at this point in their careers.  Most of the tears were not over preparing the food but over not getting something onto the plate when they had it ready but time was called.

I'm sorry, but I would have eliminated the boy (who actually did end up going home) for using the FLOOR as additional work space--yuck!  I was impressed by his mature departure though--good for him!

• Love 4

Agreed that some extra time would be very helpful.  I also don't understand the surprise jars that could "save" someone from elimination.  Are those tags randomly distributed?  It just seems like the kind of extra emotional manipulation that would work ok for adults but doesn't play well with kids.  I watched with my kids and they thought that the jars "were unfair".  Kids are pretty concrete so I can see the jars causing a lot of useless angst and drama.  I guess that's what the producers are going for, but I'm not sure if I'm going to stick around to watch it.....

Some of the dishes did indeed look amazing and put my meals to shame.  

Edited by prunieprune
  • Love 2

My guess is that the jars are somebody's idea of trying to make it less harsh:  you know, the idea would be that you'd feel like you were eliminated because of chance rather than because of something you did.  But that thinking is a stretch, and prunieprune's kids' response make it clear that, if you were one of these kid contestants, you just wouldn't see it that way.  I used to watch the kid version of MasterChef Australia online (don't know if other ones worked this way), and they used to often have more than one elimination on the same show, so that, when you were eliminated if you were a kid, you had company and it didn't feel like it was just about you.  I always took that as a kind way to soften the blow.

• Love 4

Having random jars of a 'save' doesn't make sense to me. A save should be up to a judge because of a special situation.  You pull a save card on this  specific case. You have everyone doing well on an elimination challenge and the loser goes home because they didn't pick a "save" card..   Then you have someone who deserves to go home for totally messing up and they are saved because they picked the right jar.  How does that even make sense with a save option.  Where a card is placed saves you?

I like the show and the judges who are on there but for me Vanessa will get tiring for me fast this season.   Amazing young cooks on one show and that is so awesome.

Edited by Crucial
  • Love 2

Food trucks were a fun idea and the kids were again amazing!  I like how supportive they are of each other--I think all of them were crying at the elimination.  They did a good job of working together in a tight space!

I wish they would have let the patrons try more than one of the kids' foods.  There were several I would have liked to try.  I was a little surprised several of them chose lamb for their protein--it just seems unusual.  Maybe it's just me!  I'm not a huge fan of lamb.

Edited by Real4real

Once upon a time existed a kids' cooking show that eliminated no-one, but rather awarded points throughout the season. 

I liked that system.  

But for now,  I'm rooting for Secret Special  Sauce Fuller! (According to ew.com, "Fuller has overcome cancer on three different times and is currently in complete remission.")

• Love 3

Fuller doesn't bother me with his "secret ingredients." I like him.

Audrey is so annoying with her dancing! And I wonder how you can be on Top Chef Junior and survive with a gluten allergy/Celiac disease? She can leave anytime. 

The jars are not necessary. I would prefer the judges eliminate verbally than have a little boy that cooked raw meat open the jar and get a save. It's kind of unfair to the other kids who are on the bottom.

• Love 1
On 10/22/2017 at 10:27 AM, Crucial said:

Having random jars of a 'save' doesn't make sense to me. A save should be up to a judge because of a special situation.

I think of the numbered jars more like non-elimination legs on The Amazing Race. There are just certain episodes pre-determined to not have someone eliminated even though someone has come in last place.

It's too bad that the show went with the myth that tongue maps are a true thing. It's a common misconception they could have dispelled. 

• Love 1

The jars, according to Australia Goofball Curtis Stone and Horrible Vanessa Lachey, are used each week by a kid (Fernando, Katelyn, Max) who gets eliminated each week. So far, each jar seems to have said "eliminated" because Ms. Horrible said there are only four "save"'s in the whole competition. So, I think the next kid who makes the least favorite dish is possible to get a "save".

Found this show one night & was so happy to be able to get my Top Chef "fix"!  My faves so far are: Fuller, Jasmine, Fuller, Rahanna and Fuller (not sure if you can tell that I really like FULLER)!!!  I must say, his "butter burger" was spot on and I will never make a burger without a pat of butter again!  I agree, that save jar is horrible.  It's already disappointing when the kids get eliminated, so I don't know why they feel the need to add the extra drama.

So, next week, the kid that makes the least favorite dish will not get eliminated, but they will go up and open the week 4 jar, and they will get a "save," and that kid will end up not getting eliminated, and they call up another kid to get eliminated. Is that how it goes?

16 minutes ago, Simon47 said:

So, next week, the kid that makes the least favorite dish will not get eliminated, but they will go up and open the week 4 jar, and they will get a "save," and that kid will end up not getting eliminated, and they call up another kid to get eliminated. Is that how it goes?

No one will be eliminated that episode.

I have only watched the first episode so far but I was just coming here to post that I was really bothered by the kids using metal spatulas on non-stick cookware. It was the visual equivalent of nails on a chalkboard, ha ha.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, LennieBriscoe said:

Still cannot stand the Voltaggio Bros! 

But look, we have Bryan Voltaggio, Michael Voltaggio, and Kenzie Voltaggio! I just don't think you were paying enough attention to the show, because look! They are actually giving some tips to the kids. I thought that was amazing.

Curtis Stone is like the Tom Coliccio of Top Chef Jr.

Since the 2nd episode, I have warmed up to Audrey; she has become one of my favorites. I felt bad for her being shown the infamous Door To Elimination.

• Love 2

I liked Audrey too--I didn't think she would win, but she was fun to watch and so lovely to the others.  I hope to see her one day on Top Chef Sr!

I also liked that the Brothers Voltaggio were really coaching the kids.  What a great experience for a young chef!

I'm worried about Fuller.  He seems so tired.  I hope he doesn't have to drop out due to his health.  He is so talented.  I'm sure this is taking a big toll on him though.

Still amazed at what these kids can create!  They are fearless!  Loved when all the judges were terrified to watch Rahanna  (sp?) flip her cake out of the pan and she was so calm and cool!   No big deal!

I hope the big apron preview they showed for next week was NOT the elimination challenge--that looked awful.  They should just let them cook!

• Love 2
On 10/20/2017 at 9:09 PM, marybennet said:

I used to watch the kid version of MasterChef Australia online (don't know if other ones worked this way), and they used to often have more than one elimination on the same show, so that, when you were eliminated if you were a kid, you had company and it didn't feel like it was just about you.  I always took that as a kind way to soften the blow.

The US' MasterChef Junior does the same thing.

Awful deal for Fuller, a boy who in a few episodes became a role model, for me at least, of dignity, perseverance, sly humor,  and plain old class. He is his own Very Special Secret Awesomesauce. 

Edited by LennieBriscoe
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, LennieBriscoe said:

Awful deal for Fuller, a boy who in a few episodes became a role model, for me at least, of dignity, perseverance, sly humor,  and plain old class. He is his own Very Special Secret Awesomesauce. 

Very well said, LennieBriscoe. 

Hope the young man gets to see this.  

Edited by Ellee
  • Love 1

I'm sorry Fuller! I was surprised to see you withdraw! Hope you feel better soon!

I can't stand Maxine, she is so obsequious and arrogant. I am also appalled that she got saved. Next week they need to eliminate the jars altogether!

Is there anyone else here who is behind everyone else in episodes? I got the 1st episode on a Friday the same time as everyone else, and then it skipped a week, and started being shown Tuesdays at 4, and I've consistently been 11 days behind this board. I thought it was just my DVR recording wonky, but I've been checking my guide, and it only comes on Tuesdays at 4, and that is the only time it airs. I could see it if it was PBS, but I'm confused.

I missed the cake episode first time around but have caught up now.  I'm a little surprised that they gave them a cake decorating challenge.  Have they ever done that on Top Chef Sr?  In all the seasons I've watched, desserts have been a real speed bump for many chefs and now it seems like there have been multiple times the kids have had to do some type of dessert (ice cream, the fancy plate challenge, one of the food fight rounds, and now cake iirc).  Baking is a skill unto its own requiring very specific ingredients in very specific amounts to make it work.  Anyway, nice job kids!

So sorry for Fuller.  It was nice to see everyone hugging him when he left--seems like he is a real sweetheart.

On the glow-in-the-dark party, I felt a little bad for Maxine to have been saved just last week, then get eliminated again.  Whatever those coconut bites were that Milo made, they looked awesome!  Wish I could try them!

I just watched the cake episode and Fuller!! I am a psychologist for kids with cancer and my heart just broke for every kid I’ve ever seen - all of whom had to miss out on something special because of their illness or treatment. But now when people ask me why/how I do what I do and love my job so much, I just have to point to this show. I mean, who wouldn’t want to work with Fullers all day long? Leukemia three times and a bone marrow transplant? Go Fuller, you’re my hero!

• Love 2

The glow-in-the-dark episode made me so happy that I got my bones dancing!

Milo, Henry, Jasmine, Rahanna, and Kenzie all have a special place in my heart. They are both genuine and sincere, and know how to cook, even though Kenzie was on the bottom this week.

I hated Maxine and was unfortunately not sorry to see her go. Real chefs are not whiny and complaining all the time and messing with their hair and all that. She was reminiscent of my 3-year-old daughter.

I think the tactics that Extra Goofball and Ms. Horrible used were way off the charts this episode. Also, I am even more disgusted when Ms. Horrible eats too much food, and then it ends up all over her mouth. I love Tiffany Derry and I was so pleased to see her judge this episode. I don't watch Top Chef, so I don't know much about Casey. There was something about Maizy Stella that left me flabbergasted. I think it was something that The Whiny Crybaby said in the elimination challenge.

ETA: Maizy Stella is only 14 years old and she still is growing up to be a young adult, so I am pleased about that. I guess The Whiny Crybaby didn't know her age, but now that she's gone, I can enjoy the show even more!

I still miss Fuller. I hope he feels better!

Edited by Simon47

Been catching random episodes of this lately. All these kids have great personalities. I don't mind Maxine, I liked that she didn't cook meat and had a firm stance on it but still did OK in the meat challenge.

Henry is like totally living in the wrong decade. He's like a little suave chef from the 50s. I like Milo and Rahanna - they both seem calm and happy all the time. One of them would be my pick to win.

• Love 2

I know its wrong and mean to dislike a child, but MAN, did Maxine bug the sh** out of me!  She was just too "ON" all the time. It's great for kids to be confident and proud of their abilities, but Maxine was just...a little too proud of herself??  IDK, her attitude just irked.    Every kid matures differently I guess.  She seemed poised and skilled at some points but then her TH's made me think she was 9 or 10, but she was 13. Anyway, bye!  And I'm glad that Kenzie is still there.