Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E04: Flight Risk

Murtaugh and Riggs respond to a robbery that took place 20,000 feet in the air. The investigation turns into an ongoing hunt for an unreliable father, with his daughter being their main witness. Meanwhile, Murtaugh faces hostility from his own daughter, Riana, as he tries to connect with her. 

Not my favorite. Actually, the weakest episode for me this season, if not ever.

I loved to see more of Avery. I liked his scenes with Santos, and I kind of like her -only "kind of" because I don't know if I should trust her. Riana was a bit of a brat last week but I liked her interactions with Roger in this one.

BUT.

I found it quite dull in spite of good one-liners or moments.

No Trish, no Palmer*, barely Bailey.

I love Riggs but I somehow didn't care for the flashbacks. I rolled my eyes at the Bambi allegory. The case of the week left me quite cold, although the actors were good.

I don't know what Cahill is doing on the show, it feels as if her scenes are contractual. I come to understand why they finally played the shrink for laughs in the movie series (it ticked me off back then).

*Edit; I know that Hilarie Burton is pregnant. Still.

Edited by Happy Harpy

Oh I liked it and thought it was a solid episode. I liked Nora the flight atttendant. I liked the father themes and i always love Roger as a protective dad. Was Trish out of town on business or what? I wish they had at least a theow away line because I kept wondering where the baby was. They didn't go overboard with the flashbacks-just one at the bginning and one at the end and now we all want to know how Riggs' dad died-so nicely done show.  This is just about the only show I watch on the same night it airs and it has proven to be the right choice for me. 

I hated the killing of the little deer. Turned me right off.

The rest of the episode was fine. Not my favourite, either. Although I did laugh at the new cop in the scuba outfit, heh. I miss Murtaugh's son, though.

40 minutes ago, Happy Harpy said:

I don't know what Cahill is doing on the show, it feels as if her scenes are contractual. I come to understand why they finally played the shrink for laughs in the movie series (it ticked me off back then).

At least the late Mary Beth Trainor's Stephanie Woods had some life to her! (I did like when she called the captain an asshole in the first film after he brushed off her warnings about Riggs.  :-) )

I don't understand, did they say the Dad wasn't responsible for the guy's death because it wasn't his gun that shot him? Why wasn't it his fault because he pulled him out of the plane? Didn't we hear a gun shot right before they fell out of the plane, how did that happen if the dad's gun wasn't loaded?

I love his loyal Avery is.  They are my lunatics.”

Didnt really care for the personal drama.  Are we going to deal with Rigg’s daddy issues this season?  Murtaugh is tight.  Dude has a ton  Of baggage

i really like Cahill but she doesn’t do much.  Wouldn’t mind seeing her actually be a part of the mayhem.

A couple of things: I find it hard to believe that the Daddy-issue hasn't come up in some way in previous sessions with Cahill. I know they had an important primary issue to deal with—Riggs' dead wife—but usually any therapist worth their salt will "dig" a little. Sure, there are possible explanations for why it hasn't come up. But for this TV viewer it feels really contrived for it to surface RIGHT NOW. 

This suggests to me that the writers haven't thought through where this show is going (or, at the beginning, they didn't think through where they wanted it to go). I think they didn't expect it to be renewed, so they wound up "burning through" the main issue causing Riggs' "nuttiness." To me, that issue could have carried over to this season and played out a little more effectively. (I lost my wife, and I know how long grief messes with your mind, and how it affects day-to-day things.) Well, now that that issue has been resolved (as much as grief and loss can be resolved) how are they going to keep Riggs nutty? Because frankly, without that tidbit how is this show different than any other police show? (Putting aside the actors and their abilities.)(Another thing: They showed Riggs "downsizing" last night, by giving things away or selling them. That's an indication that he's heading back to "normal" land.)

Seriously, I see very little nuttiness in Riggs, not like the Mel Gibson in the first couple of movies (And I'm not saying that's what this show has got copy). In last night's episode, they had Riggs make that shot that missed the police captain (?) by just an inch. She was impressed. Well, that doesn't make him crazy, just very very good. Plus, Riggs has this thing where he really cares for people. We saw it night for Nora. He doesn't seem crazy; in fact, he seems brimming with empathy.

So where are we going with Riggs? (All men have "daddy-issues." True, most men don't kill their daddy. But, I'm sorry, it all seems way too contrived.)

1 hour ago, JackONeill said:

So where are we going with Riggs? (All men have "daddy-issues." True, most men don't kill their daddy. But, I'm sorry, it all seems way too contrived.)

Riggs said the gun killed his father, not that he killed his father. Riggs could have daddy issues since his dad introduced him to guns and his professions (military and law enforcement) all heavily involve guns. Riggs could also have mommy, family or abuse issues, it is to early to tell.

And, perhaps, the writers don't know what issues he has, either. And that's my problem. They seem to be throwing things up against the wall. Daddy-issues?!? That's never popped up before. Nothing in his "sleeve" showing that. The thing that separates Riggs from most detectives on TV is that he's "slightly crazy. He takes chances. He took a chance with that shot last night, but only because he believed he could make it. That doesn't make him crazy. That makes him confidant, which is the opposite of being crazy. Also, if he had "issues with his father teaching him how to shoot, well he was still certainly able to shoot. He was freaking out or sweating when he took the shot. He seemed like he always does in those situations—calm and controlled. So, I'm left with asking: Where are the writers going to take Riggs? I hope it isn't into a bunch of trite writer-fare. Color me concerned. I want more for this show.

I disagree about Riggs' Daddy issues being something created by the spur of the moment in the writers' room. The seeds were planted last season in the episode where he first met Miranda and brought her to his place. It was subtle but it was there - just enough to build upon if there was going to be a season two. It was Christmas and he never even mentioned his family. His place was completely void of any photos etc. His family was also never mentioned before or afterwards - not in the flashbacks where all the family he ever had were his in-laws. The way it was played made it quite clear that this was the first time Riggs experiences strong and happy family bonds.

My money's on Mum pulling the trigger of that gun and not Riggs. Having a traumatic family backstory like that does not make you crazy. But it would explain why he reacted so strong to Miranda's death and why he's still struggling with life despite having come to terms with that tragedy.

I liked the episode. But then I'm always inclined to like things where Adrian Pasdar shows up. Avery as father figure was great. And I liked Santos pleading with him to ask for another assignment in order to save himself. And I had to laugh at Murtaugh trying to escape the truth-bombs Riana was hurling at him - glad they ended things on a sweet note.

My theory regarding Riggs' childhood. Mom died from cancer (in the flashback dad alluded to mom being in pain and not wanting son to see it thus, the hunting trip.) and  his dad, due to grief, kills himself with Riggs' gun.

Small nitpick:In the interrogation scene when the boys were asking what AP stole to make bad guys want to kill him, when AP wouldn't tell them why didn't they ask the daughter? She was there and saw the fight.

51 minutes ago, witchyvamp66 said:

My theory regarding Riggs' childhood. Mom died from cancer (in the flashback dad alluded to mom being in pain and not wanting son to see it thus, the hunting trip.) and  his dad, due to grief, kills himself with Riggs' gun.

I think his Mom killed herself.  "She's in a  lot of pain today and didn't want you to be a part of it."  The hunting trip was to get him away while she ended things. 

My first thought with this episode was "there is no way Adrian Pasdar is old enough to be that girl's father". Which as it turns out, is wrong. I remember when he was barely out of his teens, man I'm getting old!

Solid performances from both the guest stars, which was a bit of a surprise because I remember Monica Barbaro being remarkably smug on Chicago Justice. 

Scorsese seems to have turned into the snuffleupagus, spoken of but never actually seen. Bailey has barely anything to do, except chaperone Roger's terrible children around apparently. And Cahill had about 2 minutes of screen time. And Cruz has disappeared entirely. I'm not thrilled with the direction as pertains to the supporting characters. I enjoyed them last season and it is disappointing that they seem to be downgraded. 

However, I'm thrilled that Avery is back! The chemistry between the 3 male leads is excellent and I enjoy all of their scenes together. And hopefully this means that chief Santos can go away.  

The new guy is pretty funny with his bumbling. But how could this idiot possibly be the fastest promoted officer in the history of the force? Is his dad a billionaire or something? Because unless he has well hidden abilities, he clearly did not get there on merit. 

Edited by CaptainTightpants

I enjoyed it but a few things bugged me: wouldn't the death of the robbery victim be on Adrian Pasdar's character's head?  The victim died during the robbery committed by AP so even if it was his own gun, AP would be on the hook for it.  Also, how did the bad guys know to go to Chinatown to find AP?  Riggs and Murtaugh only knew because the daughter told them.

Those kinds of things don't bother me that much though.  What really irks me is how goofy Roger is getting.  I don't mind him being playful but sometimes it verges on doofus territory.

I can see the mom ending things while Riggs was out with his dad. I also like the idea of Daddy Riggs killing himself out of grief, as that would be your tie-in to Riggs' own spiral once his wife died - its not just his grief, but how Daddy Riggs imprinted on him when in a similar situation.

I found it really interesting that Daddy Riggs didn't seem violent or abusive, which is where I expected this to go; nor did Baby Riggs seem frightened of him. So consider me intrigued with how Riggs' family history is going down.

What a bunch of jerks work in that unit.

The captain is getting fired unfairly so they goof off to screw him harder. Token black girl is asked to help a guy back up to a dive spot and she lets him jump and risk getting paralyzed. Blonde black boss wants to screw over her former boyfriend so she backstabs the white boss instead. Vapid psych chick has a guy with known suicidal ideations giving away prized possessions and does not refer him for inpatient care.

Major Payne is the only decent person on the show, and only when he is by himself.

On 10/19/2017 at 1:42 PM, CaptainTightpants said:

Solid performances from both the guest stars, which was a bit of a surprise because I remember Monica Barbaro being remarkably smug on Chicago Justice. 

Me too! But her smugness and disdain was put to good use as the daughter of a thief who was sick of his crap only to relent when she realized he was dying. I really liked her here!

On 10/19/2017 at 6:53 PM, AES13 said:

I enjoyed it but a few things bugged me: wouldn't the death of the robbery victim be on Adrian Pasdar's character's head?  The victim died during the robbery committed by AP so even if it was his own gun, AP would be on the hook for it. 

Yeah, he normally would be but he also has only 6 months to live so while he can be formally charged he's pretty much going to be living in a medical ward until he passes. Also since the guy killed had brothers who kidnapped a woman and held her for ransom, I'm sure the courts are not going to have too much sympathy for that family or their grief I'm guessing.

Boss: Did you rob a liquor store last night?

Riggs: (Beat) Last night? (Thinks a beat) No. ?

Still think Rihanna was a brat. Girl, you do not walk in handcuffed and drop attitude with your cop dad. That was some sheltered entitled privilege going on there (not that we don't all want our kids to feel safe and protected). Roger should've sent her to stew in holding but his wife would've torn him a new one. Also Roger is a panda bear of a dad. It is great to see a black father so open emotionally and wanting to bond and spend time with his kids. 

Regarding Riggs' daddy issues, I agree that for him Miranda and their son was the only family that mattered full stop so talking about his mom and dad would've been dismissed/shut down. They were dead, gone, an old scar/memory. It's only now that he was able to come to some place of peace with Miranda that suddenly having the rifle became an issue for him to bury. I think that's because he was able to see it as a nonissue because it was all,about Miranda. Now he doesn't have that distraction. Also maybe subconsciously because he dealt with Miranda in some fashion, his psyche knows that he's ready to tackle this. Of course consciously his first instinct is to distance himself from it, but it's also in that first step that he said acknowledging that there is an issue. Funny just like he told the daughter that if she was over her dad, she could be in the same room as him, Riggs could not have that rifle around and was rocked as hell when he saw it back on his desk. 

I'm sad the show's ratings have taken such a hit. It's a great cast, funny dialogue, and nice depth mixed in with the fluff. I want five years at least!

Edited by TobinAlbers
10 hours ago, TobinAlbers said:

Still think Rihanna was a brat. Girl, you do not walk in handcuffed and drop attitude with your cop dad. That was some sheltered entitled privilege going on there (not that we don't all want our kids to feel safe and protected). Roger should've sent her to stew in holding but his wife would've torn him a new one. Also Roger is a panda bear of a dad. It is great to see a black father so open emotionally and wanting to bond and spend time with his kids. 

Oh, good--I wasn't the only one.

I really like that they've made Trish smart and that the Murtaugh marriage is solid.  However, I am tired of a couple of things--Roger almost always being the butt of the "childish and foolish Dad" jokes, with Trish and the kids pretty regularly mocking him.  It's especially sad when he's one of the more involved and enthusiastic Dads on TV.  Rihanna doesn't come across as sassy and determined.  She comes across as entitled and bratty,  and Trish enables it.

Edited by Mari
Grammar and spelling. Oops.

Did Trish have the Baby? Have we seen the Baby this season yet? 

I like the chemistry of Murtagh and Riggs with the Captain. When the Captian asked them to rein it in and they both were like "wellllllll, no" killed me. 

I do wish we'd see more of the "B" characters. They do flesh out the show when they're apart of it.

On 10/22/2017 at 4:47 PM, Mari said:

Oh, good--I wasn't the only one.

I really like that they've made Trish smart and that the Murtaugh marriage is solid.  However, I am tired of a couple of things--Roger almost always being the butt of the "childish and foolish Dad" jokes, with Trish and the kids pretty regularly mocking him.  It's especially sad when he's one of the more involved and enthusiastic Dads on TV.  Rihanna doesn't come across as sassy and determined.  She comes across as entitled and bratty,  and Trish enables it.

Yes to all of this.  Rihanna was awful in this episode, but there have been several points this season where I'm annoyed with the whole family except Roger and the baby.

On 10/19/2017 at 1:42 PM, CaptainTightpants said:

My first thought with this episode was "there is no way Adrian Pasdar is old enough to be that girl's father". Which as it turns out, is wrong. I remember when he was barely out of his teens, man I'm getting old!

The way he is made up on Agents Of SHIELD, he could be a grandfather....

On 10/21/2017 at 6:33 PM, Happywatcher said:

Major Payne is the only decent person on the show, and only when he is by himself.

Major Payne: There must be somebody that needs killin'????

Colonel: No. They're all dead.

Edited by paigow
On 21/10/2017 at 6:33 PM, Happywatcher said:

What a bunch of jerks work in that unit.

The captain is getting fired unfairly so they goof off to screw him harder. Token black girl is asked to help a guy back up to a dive spot and she lets him jump and risk getting paralyzed. Blonde black boss wants to screw over her former boyfriend so she backstabs the white boss instead. Vapid psych chick has a guy with known suicidal ideations giving away prized possessions and does not refer him for inpatient care.

You definitely need to watch this show with a total suspension of disbelief and complete ignorance of policing. 

It is 100% not Bailey's job to babysit the new guy. But why in the world would they introduce him as some kind of rockstar, and then portray him as a bumbling moron? He is supposed to be an up and coming cop so awesome that he ends up on the recruiting poster for the force. But they are playing him as Mr. Bean!

Personally,  I've decided that he is related to somebody important and he got promoted on the basis of nepotism. Because nothing else really makes sense. 

Sidenote: only a qualified police diver would be allowed to go into the lake to search. I appreciate that they were going for  comedy in that scene but in reality he would never have been allowed to even get the dive gear on (He clearly doesn't know what he is doing, so there is no way he is on the dive unit). 

On 10/19/2017 at 10:42 AM, CaptainTightpants said:

Scorsese seems to have turned into the snuffleupagus, spoken of but never actually seen. Bailey has barely anything to do, except chaperone Roger's terrible children around apparently. And Cahill had about 2 minutes of screen time. And Cruz has disappeared entirely. I'm not thrilled with the direction as pertains to the supporting characters. I enjoyed them last season and it is disappointing that they seem to be downgraded. 

Yes!! Where are Scorsese and Cruz? I know the actor who played Cruz got picked up as a regular on a different show but they never explained where his character went! Then they go on and replace him with Bland Comic Relief.

I also weirdly miss the Microsoft Surface Scorsese commercials.

Really enjoyed Nora's character, would not mind seeing her again.