Type keyword(s) to search

Mystery Science Theater 3000 - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Indeed, they've announced that if they raise more than they did in the first Kickstarter, they're going to throw in a 13th episode.

There's a live telethon going on their YouTube and Twitch channels.

Which included a performance from Showbiz Pizza's own Rock-A-Fire Explosion.

No, seriously.

7 hours ago, starri said:

Indeed, they've announced that if they raise more than they did in the first Kickstarter, they're going to throw in a 13th episode.

A "13 for 13 (from Moon 13)" campaign push.

And it was hit!  $6.5+ million!  Not quite the $11.4 million needed to take back the title belt from Critical Role, but still...

This also means we're getting TWO holiday specials in this batch.  The first will be a Halloween episode...in KingaVision 3-D!  (With most* backers getting free 3-D glasses to go with it.) 

*Not sure if the digital-only backers will be getting free glasses now too.  I hope so...

The second is the special 13th episode, which will be a Christmas special.  And I do mean special, as Joel says it'll be a host-crossover-palooza.  Emily (the live tour host) will have main riffing duty; giving all 4 hosts a Christmas episode.  But Joel and Jonah will appear, so all the active hosts will "meet".

On 5/5/2021 at 3:42 PM, starri said:

They also announced the first two movies.

Robot Wars, a typical low-budget 90s cyberpunk dystopia.

Demon Squad, a low-rent Dresden Files knock-off that doesn't even have a Wikipedia page.

And Joel just announced the third.  (He wanted to do so during the final push livestream, but there wasn't really a good moment.)

In Season 13, we'll once again be seeing the one full of turtle meat and friend to children everywhere in GAMERA vs Jiger!

In the latest update:

They've finished the first week of shooting, including riffs for 4 episodes and 6 shorts and have started on the host segments.  They're actually a couple days ahead of schedule, which means they've got more time for shooting bonus content for the Gizmoplex and Turkey Day, among other things.

Speaking of Turkey Day, there's going to be 8 episodes in this year's line-up.  They've already picked 4 (necessary for the advanced shoots mentioned above).  But the other 4 are going to be fan-selected, as tends to happen.  They're doing tournament-style voting this year, with the surviving movies advancing until the final 4 are selected.  First set had Magic Voyage of Sinbad knock out Lost Continent to advance.  And the current match-up has Parts: The Clonus Horror vs The Brain That Wouldn't Die.  Voting is still open on for that here:

https://kickstarter.mst3k.com/turkeyday

with future matches coming out on Tuesdays and Fridays.

• Love 1

Mystery Science Theater 3000 Confirms Movies for 13 All-New Episodes

Season 13 of Mystery Science Theater 3000 will be available exclusively on the Gizmoplex platform.

There are plans for 13 episodes, 12 livestream special events and 12 short riffs.

Here is the full list of MST3K season 13 episodes along with their synopses.

Santo in The Treasure of Dracula

"Mexican wrestler El Santo invents a time machine. After somebody uses the machine to find the hidden location of Drácula's treasure, El Santo must hunt down the vampire."

Robot Wars

"A renegade Megarobot pilot and an archaeologist must team up to thwart the Centro's attempts to resurrect a hidden Megarobot, with which they can challenge the prevailing order."

Beyond Atlantis

"A band of adventurers invade a native island determined to grab a reported fortune in buried treasure. The islanders are just as determined to keep their sacred treasure. Complications ensue."

Munchie

"A bullied boy meets Munchie, a friendly gremlin-like creature that dresses like a lounge singer, sounds like a stand-up comedian and has magic powers."

Doctor Mordrid

"An unspeakable evil has come into our dimension and wants to rule over Earth, and only a mysterious sorceror known as Doctor Mordrid can stop him."

Demon Squad

"Nick Moon, P.I. (Paranormal Investigator), delves into a hidden world of monsters and creatures of the night as he takes on a case to retrieve an ancient artifact with astonishing power."

Gamera vs. Jiger

"When an ancient statue is moved for display in Expo '70, a giant, vaguely Triceratops-like monster is released. The monster goes to Japan in pursuit of the statue and ends up battling Gamera, the giant flying turtle."

(This was one of the few Gamera movies not riffed in the original run of MST3K)

The Batwoman

"Batwoman is called to investigate a whacked out scientist that is capturing wrestlers and using their spinal fluid to create a Gill Man."

The Million Eyes of Sumuru

"Sumuru is a beautiful but evil woman who plans world domination by having her sexy all-female army eliminate male leaders and replace them with her female agents."

HG Wells' The Shape of Things to Come

"Some time in the future, man has set up colonies on the Moon, when Earth becomes uninhabitable. A madman decides to destroy the Moon colonies with his robots and automated ships, and only three people and their robot can stop him."

The Mask 3D

"A young archaeologist believes he is cursed by a mask that causes him to have weird nightmares and possibly to murder. Before committing suicide, he mails the mask to his psychiatrist, Dr. Barnes, who is soon plunged into the nightmare world of the mask."

The Bubble

"Mysterious atmospheric effects force a pregnant woman and her husband to land their airplane in a remote town whose inhabitants behave zombie-like, repeating the same movements and sentences over and over. As the mystery unfolds the two find themselves trapped and search for escape."

The Christmas Dragon

"A group of orphans goes on a journey to restore the lost magic and save Christmas."

2 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

The Mask 3D

"A young archaeologist believes he is cursed by a mask that causes him to have weird nightmares and possibly to murder. Before committing suicide, he mails the mask to his psychiatrist, Dr. Barnes, who is soon plunged into the nightmare world of the mask."

This is the first ever Halloween special movie, and the first in 3D (with Kinga-vision)

2 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

The Christmas Dragon

"A group of orphans goes on a journey to restore the lost magic and save Christmas."

And this is the ultra-special episode that's a crossover between all the active hosts and their respective Bots.

8 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

Doctor Mordrid

"An unspeakable evil has come into our dimension and wants to rule over Earth, and only a mysterious sorceror known as Doctor Mordrid can stop him."

This began its life as a Dr. Strange movie, but when they lost the rights, it was re-written hastily.

It also stars Jeffery Combs from Re-Animator and Deep Space Nine.  As bad as I'm sure the movie will be, he's AWESOME, so I'm really, really looking forward to this one.

I am looking forward to The Shape of Things To Come! I don't think it's that bad,  just weird. But it has been a long time since I saw that film.

Did MST3K ever do Zardov?

Edited by marinw

I think it's really cool that Emily's version of Crow is also female, but the woman who voices her sounds a lot like Tress MacNeille, and it's distracting me.

Yeah, it's a Mother's Day thing.  They said it was a livestream, but the episode was just available.

I am trying to parse where they're getting the last name "Connor" from.  Maybe I'm just too stupid, but "Robinson" is from Lost in Space, "Nelson" is I Dream of Jeanie, "Heston" is Planet of the Apes, but the best I can do is Sarah Connor, and she wasn't an astronaut.  I guess "Emily Ripley" would have been too on the nose?

On 5/8/2022 at 8:06 PM, starri said:

I am trying to parse where they're getting the last name "Connor" from... but the best I can do is Sarah Connor, and she wasn't an astronaut.  I guess "Emily Ripley" would have been too on the nose?

Yes, I read somewhere that it was indeed a reference to Sarah Connor from the Terminator franchise.

I'm confused . . . I got Gizmoplex on my iPad, but I have to pay to rent the S13 movies? Would I need to show my Kickstarter level or something?

IFC aired Blood Waters of Dr. Z last week. Man, that was not a good movie, even by MST3K standards.

*sigh* Good news and bad news. Good news: I managed to figure out how to watch the Gizmoplex episodes, and my name was in the credits. Bad news: it was for the Munchie episode. There was no excuse for that movie to exist. None at all. And the doctor lady was right . . . Munchie was probably a distant cousin of the Hobgoblins.

I've gotten through four episodes so far. I think there are three more up, including the return of Joel Hodgson Robinson to the SOL.

BTW, how come Gypsy is now "GPC"?

3 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

BTW, how come Gypsy is now "GPC"?

Because the word is considered by many to be a slur against the Romani people. 

And since Joel wants to include people, he changed her name.

• Love 1
20 hours ago, SVNBob said:

Because the word is considered by many to be a slur against the Romani people. 

And since Joel wants to include people, he changed her name.

I think I read that once (in general, not how it relates to the name change), and I feel like a jerk for not remembering it.

What is GPC supposed to be? Was she supposed to be anything? Tom is a gumball machine come to life, while Crow is vaguely bird-like with the bowling pin nose.

Just saw Doctor Mordrid. That was bad. I'll try not to bitch about Multiverse of Madness too much after seeing that. Still better than Munchie, though.

I wonder which doughy Midwesterner Dr. Erhard will bring back . . .

Yeah, I know which one.

On 7/5/2022 at 11:42 PM, Lantern7 said:

What is GPC supposed to be? Was she supposed to be anything? Tom is a gumball machine come to life, while Crow is vaguely bird-like with the bowling pin nose.

What GPC does is control all the higher functions of the ship, what she's supposed to be... I'm not sure; a bucket mouth on a hose with a flashlight eye.

Happy day after Turkey Day.  I hope you all caught at least some of the annual marathon at the Gizmoplex.

If you didn't, there should be a stream archive available.  (That was one of the things they were promoting throughout the marathon.)

The Gizmoplex is having a Christmas theme week.  Tonight is a holiday edition of a Jackbox playoff with Joel, Jonah, and Emily playing against Mary Jo, Felicia, and Patton.  Tomorrow is Santa Claus Conquers the Martians, Wednesday is Santa Claus, Thursday is The Christmas That Almost Wasn't, and Friday is the premiere of their new movie The Christmas Dragon.

• Applause 1

So the Christmas Dragon livestream was actually a pre-record of a in-person screening for Kickstarter backers.  

But, Joel did come out and reveal that they have Season 14 in the works, and will share details after New Year's.

I pledged money to make S14 happen . . . which is funny because I never completed S13.

I just got to my laptop. I have an iPad, but the sound is out and I didn't want to fool around with the buds today. I "tuned in" to the marathon on MST3K's Youtube, and do you know what they're playing now?

Munchie.

No, thank you. It hurts a little more because I got my name n the credits for that episode. Well, at least the marathon will be running for a while longer where I can see something that doesn't make me grimace too hard.

Seriously, has anyone else  here pitched in for S14? I think they're going to adjust things in order to bring down their goal. They just got the rights to Plan 9 From Outer Space. Even if that's shooting turkeys in a barrel, it's still something to look forward to, right?

On 12/26/2023 at 9:18 AM, Lantern7 said:

Anyone else catching the.Patrick Swayze Christmas marathon on YouTube? They’ve extended it to New Year’s.

I caught parts of Cinematic Titanic's Santa Claus Conquers the Martians episode (just to see if Joel and Trace repeated any jokes from the first time they riffed on Martians, and they never did) and the last 20 minutes of Cinematic Titanic's War of the Insects (a.k.a. Genocide) live show. The latter was interesting because while I watched it, I found out that Genocide later received the Criterion Collection treatment. The cast's interplay with the audience whenever a joke fell flat was fun. The best part of the live show was a moment nobody in the cast wrote a quip for: the lead character's attempt to protect a pregnant woman from being shot at by awkwardly spreading his legs, which resulted in the longest laugh from the audience.

On 12/29/2023 at 12:40 AM, MusubiMyHomie said:

The best part of the live show was a moment nobody in the cast wrote a quip for: the lead character's attempt to protect a pregnant woman from being shot at by awkwardly spreading his legs, which resulted in the longest laugh from the audience.

I just watched Cinematic Titanic's War of the Insects episode again, but from the beginning this time. I wasn't paying enough attention when I watched the last 20 minutes of the episode during the holiday season. I learned I made a mistake: The woman who was standing behind the lead character when he awkwardly spread apart his legs in the climax wasn't the pregnant character.

I hate how Primetimer doesn't allow me to go back and edit one of my own posts a couple of months after I wrote it.

Shout! Studios transformed MST3K's holiday season stream on YouTube into a "Foreverathon." I watched a lot of Joel-era MST3K episodes on Comedy Central when I was a teen. Yet I never saw the Tormented episode. Thanks to the Foreverathon, I finally saw a huge chunk of the Tormented episode, and Joel, Crow, and Servo's "Sessions Presents" running joke whenever there was a shot of a lighthouse or a beach had me rolling.