Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E06: Joy and Austin Tie the Knot

frenchtoast
  • Start Topic

7 hours ago, funky-rat said:

I think she's cute, but she has an odd voice and unusually chubby face for the rest of her shape.  She'd do a lot better with short hair, since her face is round and full, but that will never happen.

My beloved hairdresser could make her look fab with a nice bob haircut.  He is gay & he probably wouldn't be acceptable to her family or the Duggars.   :(

• Love 2

At the end of the episode, when they were talking about next week, weren't they talking about showing Joseph and Kendra's wedding?  Aren't we way off track now?  I'm pretty sure Jill had Sam before the wedding, and Joy and Austin announced her pregnancy before the wedding.  I know Joseph proposed at Joy's wedding, so there's a natural tie-in to this episode, but for once stuff actually happened in this family between two events, so why can't they show them in order?

• Love 1
32 minutes ago, Pingaponga said:

At the end of the episode, when they were talking about next week, weren't they talking about showing Joseph and Kendra's wedding?  Aren't we way off track now?  I'm pretty sure Jill had Sam before the wedding, and Joy and Austin announced her pregnancy before the wedding.  I know Joseph proposed at Joy's wedding, so there's a natural tie-in to this episode, but for once stuff actually happened in this family between two events, so why can't they show them in order?

Because they do things "a little different."

• Love 4
On 10/17/2017 at 9:42 AM, Natalie68 said:

When my sister moved out at 18 (I was 10) all I remember was fighting with my other sister about who got her room.  And that it was one less person to share the bathroom with.  

Haven't seen this episode so this is kind of a depressing segue and a downer but all this talk about her superhorniess makes me wonder if her (as yet to be determined) hypersexuality is due to her horrible experience with her brother?  There are studies about this so I am not pulling it out of my heiney.  

All their lives, these Duggars  kids had to witness the over sexualized behavior of their parents. They felt the obvious neglect while mom and pops screwed, while the buddy teams tried to survive.

It's very possible that Joy feels no sexy feelings at all.  But she is programmed to think she must feel sexy feelings for a man.

After all, Joy said she has waited SO LONG for god to answer her prayers for a husband!  (At 19!!!!!!!)

I think she's just copying her elder sisters!

• Love 8
1 hour ago, ariel said:

My beloved hairdresser could make her look fab with a nice bob haircut.  He is gay & he probably wouldn't be acceptable to her family or the Duggars.   :(

My beloved hairdresser could also make her look fab. She does a great job hiding my sqaure-ass jaw; Kendra would be a piece of cake. Alas, although straight, she has many visible tattoos, even in tee shirts (unlike Jeremy, who can easily hide his). She also had purple hair the last time I saw her. 

Too bad, Kendra. Will she go back to Mom's place to get her ends trimmed now that she's married? Will Joe go back to the compound or will he hand over the clippers to Kendra? He needs to be rid of that spit curl in front, stat!

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Pingaponga said:

I know Joseph proposed at Joy's wedding, so there's a natural tie-in to this episode, but for once stuff actually happened in this family between two events, so why can't they show them in order?

The skipped several episodes.  It even shows in their numbering system.

On the doilies, they were looking for the closest matching maternity dress for Jill and they landed on the "doily dress" and stopped looking.  

Anyone else notice this? When Jill and Derek arrived at the airport, Jill took Henry in her arms.  He instantly turned toward her breast - they used to call it "rooting." She quickly shifted him up on her shoulder.  So funny, I had forgotten that breast-fed babies naturally do this.

That is all.

• Love 8

I believe the reception was in the hall of the church and had "snacks' in cups - pretzels, popcorn, etc.

I noticed a 24 pack of bottled water in the groom's room, but I watch these long wedding days and wonder wtf everyone eats.  Joys wedding day started really early with prep, they went for pictures I think around 3 pm and Jana mentioned how Joys wedding was an "evening" wedding, so I'm thinking 6-7? 

When Joystin had the Big Reveal of each other before the ceremony, Joy said only a few more hours til we're married!

I remember putting my wedding dress on less than an hour before!

I've noticed Costco trays of prepared foods in the dressing rooms at various Duggar weddings.

On 10/18/2017 at 9:52 AM, debbie311 said:

Jennifer crying, not happy tears, but misery.  There's something going on there.  I also wonder if Joy's horniness is due to the molestation by Josh.  Embarrassing to watch.

THIS!  I specifically noted that Jennifer crying seemed very odd to me.  I don’t feel like it is a natural emotion for children of that age to really understand crying for happy reasons- that, in my opinion, is something that happens as we get older.  And the type of crying Jennifer was doing did not make sense to the situation… it was very disproportionate. I took it for fear and sadness too! Great observation,  i’m glad I’m not the only one who thought this! 

• Love 5

Sorry, I wasn't clear (and I haven't figured out how to quote people yet), I know Jill was pregnant for Joy's wedding, but I thought she'd had the baby by the time Joe & Kendra got hitched.  The chronology, as far as I remember it, was Joy's wedding, Jill's probably difficult birth, Joy's pregnancy announcement, Joe & Kendra's wedding.  If stuff is actually happening, why not show it in order?  Why go straight from wedding to wedding? 

Or is the season finale/final episode before a mid-season break/whatever they call it going to be a Very Special Episode where we finally find out about Sammy's birth and what the heck actually happened?

More or less - it is a mid-season break.  They show the episode numbers on TLC and the jump to the wedding skipped several episode numbers.  Whether we see Joe and Kendra's wedding again - who knows with TLC but more than likely.  

Where I'm from an "evening wedding" is an event with a sit down dinner for the guests. I was raised an evil Catholic & adult beverages were available for those who chose to imbibe.  Lots of dancing & smiles were had by many. :)

Edited by ariel
  • Love 11
16 hours ago, ariel said:

Where I'm from an "evening wedding" is an event with a sit down dinner for the guests. I was raised an evil Catholic & adult beverages were available for those who chose to imbibe.  Lots of dancing & smiles were had by many. :)

I was married at noon ('high noon" if you ask hubby!) and  we had a sit down meal for our guests, with alcohol, music and dancing.  I'm from NY and that is fairly traditional here no matter what time the wedding.  I just can't understand inviting people to a wedding and not FEEDING them!!!

• Love 13

If you're going to feed your wedding guests like they're birds, at least have a buffet table of 'light snacks' that blend together well. Joy was all over the place with awful 'snacks'..popcorn and pickles just don't digest well, no matter what you think about Jesus.

• Love 12
19 minutes ago, luvmylabs said:

I was married at noon ('high noon" if you ask hubby!) and  we had a sit down meal for our guests, with alcohol, music and dancing.  I'm from NY and that is fairly traditional here no matter what time the wedding.  I just can't understand inviting people to a wedding and not FEEDING them!!!

I can imagine the Duggars inviting people to dinner and not feeding them. ...

Except as satanic forces maliciously scheming to drag the godly into temptation or as sources of gifts, grifts and undeserved praise, I don't think the concept of "people other than ourselves" has ever actually penetrated the skulls of JB and M. 

• Love 12
1 hour ago, floridamom said:

If you're going to feed your wedding guests like they're birds, at least have a buffet table of 'light snacks' that blend together well. Joy was all over the place with awful 'snacks'..popcorn and pickles just don't digest well, no matter what you think about Jesus.

I have been to a few weddings (usually afternoon) that are just drinks, appetizers and dessert (rather than a full lunch), but there ARE actual appetizers. A fruit/veggie platter, cheeses, bruschetta, something hot etc along with wedding cake. The Duggars don't know anything about hospitality or being gracious. For people that talk about loving Jesus and being Christians they don't act very Christ like. 

• Love 14
2 hours ago, luvmylabs said:

That's what we did for our daughter, too.  Noon wedding, with a full meal deal, alcohol, music & dancing.  It didn't cost an arm and a leg, either.  And we aren't TV Millionaires!  Not even close.  Boob's cheap ass ways are legendary.  And I'm sure they make a note of who gave what, to know who to invite to the next event...the ones that gave the most expensive gifts.  Grifting is as grifting does.

• Love 8
On 10/16/2017 at 9:38 PM, Annb67 said:

Praise the Lord!! I dont know why that irritated the hell out of me. Pastor Caldwell-five minutes to defraud you. Just don't speak. That is all.

Hahaha! He's not a bad looking guy, but I could never get past knowing his horrifying views on women, gay people and the realities of science. 

On 10/17/2017 at 0:51 AM, Mollysmom said:

I would hate to have to be the one to clean up that church. What a total mess - it was a mess with all that grass and crap on the floor, but then the confetti cannon! I am not a clean or neat freak, but seeing all that stuff all over the floor gave me anxiety and it looked awful. 

I just can't fathom all that fuss, considering most people aren't even going to notice. It seems like a colossal waste.

On 10/17/2017 at 3:00 AM, PuhLeeze said:

I laughed so hard and had to rewind 3 times to look at the post-confetti cannon expression on the face of the elderly woman in white in the front row. 

Also, Joy used an ADVERB!  She said "perfectly" about the sun shining through the windows of the church. 

Question: Where is Pastor Caldwell's church? Does Cross Church just rent the space out BYOP (bring your own pastor)? 

I think Cross Church is a real church, but most big churches rent out their spaces for anyone who wants a wedding. It sounds like Pastor Caldwell is leading the warehouse church where the Duggars, Sierra, the Forsyths and more attend.

On 10/17/2017 at 10:24 AM, keetmommy said:

Joy's comment "We wont be able to stay long" I found offensive, people came to see you, You need to stay around for more then a few minutes (she commented earlier that they wouldn't stay long) I mean I guess if you have a 1000 people at your wedding you cant talk to all but you can put off jumping in the sack by an hour or twon.

What was the point of having an evening wedding if it meant they were going to say they couldn't stay very long? I agree. You waited your whole lives to jump in the sack, you can afford to stay a couple more hours to circulate and thank people for coming.

Edited by becca3891
  • Love 9

The point of having a wedding reception is for the BRIDE AND GROOM to be celebrating their wedding with those who bothered to show up. It's quite disrespectful for the couple -of-honor to leave quickly. Thanks for the gifts guys, now we're getting out of here. Hope you enjoy the pickles and popcorn... Rude beyond belief. It showed their guests that they couldn't care less about that awful reception.

• Love 14
21 minutes ago, becca3891 said:

It sounds like Pastor Caldwell is leading the warehouse church where the Duggars, Sierra, the Forsyths and more attend.

The warehouse church is no more.  It disbanded with the first Josh scandal.  Pastor Caldwell has an actual IFB church meeting in its own church building. 

22 minutes ago, becca3891 said:

What was the point of having an evening wedding if it meant they were going to say they couldn't stay very long?

Joy Anna wanted the setting sun through the big windows behind what I was brought up to call the chancel if that church had an altar. 

• Love 2
23 hours ago, becca3891 said:

/snip

I think Cross Church is a real church, but most big churches rent out their spaces for anyone who wants a wedding. It sounds like Pastor Caldwell is leading the warehouse church where the Duggars, Sierra, the Forsyths and more attend.

I've never heard of such a thing, but I went from Catholic to Recovering Catholic. I've never heard of church rentals. 

Also "stage" gives me pause every time I hear it. 

• Love 6

Just the idea of them running out of the "pickle and pretzel party" to go hop in the sack, gross!  Especially cause Im fairly certain that Joy hasnt showered, and has filthy feet since the camping fiesta!

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, MV713 said:

Just the idea of them running out of the "pickle and pretzel party" to go hop in the sack, gross!  Especially cause Im fairly certain that Joy hasnt showered, and has filthy feet since the camping fiesta!

I don't think Austin was going to be focused on her feet. Just saying'    ;-)

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
20 hours ago, PuhLeeze said:

I've never heard of such a thing, but I went from Catholic to Recovering Catholic. I've never heard of church rentals. 

I think Catholic churches may still need diocesan approval to rent out rooms, but even if so at least some are surely getting it these days, since I know a couple of Catholic churches that rent out rooms regularly. With attendance shrinking at literally all kinds of houses of worship today, money to maintain those big buildings is at a premium, and pretty much everybody seems to be doing it.

Not all faiths and denominations will rent out what I'd call a sanctuary, though. That's more a fundie thing, I think, since -- as you mention: "stage" -- many of their sanctuaries were built more like auditoriums or theaters and don't have much in the way of what many other groups would consider sacred objects or sacred furniture in them. 

• Love 2

Yes, to be married in a certain Catholic Church, one has to be a parishioner of that church either the bride or the groom. It's customary for it to be the bride's parish.  The Church doesn't rent out it's sanctuary to others who are not members of the faith. A great deal of history and tradition is represented there and the couple must be in good standing with the church and be believers in what it stands for.

SInce the Duggars claim to be INDEPENDENT Baptists, why would another type of Baptist church let them use their facilities since they don't abide by that church's teachings & beliefs? As a Catholic myself, that baffles me...."You just want to use our facilities to get married', but you don't support our church or our beliefs"..I would think would be the opinion of the church elders and pastor. SOmeone, please correct me and bring me up to date on these things..

• Love 4

My Baptist neighbors call it an auditorium with a stage.  Their church routinely rents out space.  They have two other church groups of different denominations that rent the auditorium and another that rents the social hall.   Many denominations or congregations only care that the group they rent to claims to be Christian or at least not heathen.  The less liturgical the church the more likely they are to rent facilities in my experience.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, Churchhoney said:

I think Catholic churches may still need diocesan approval to rent out rooms, but even if so at least some are surely getting it these days, since I know a couple of Catholic churches that rent out rooms regularly. With attendance shrinking at literally all kinds of houses of worship today, money to maintain those big buildings is at a premium, and pretty much everybody seems to be doing it.

Not all faiths and denominations will rent out what I'd call a sanctuary, though. That's more a fundie thing, I think, since -- as you mention: "stage" -- many of their sanctuaries were built more like auditoriums or theaters and don't have much in the way of what many other groups would consider sacred objects or sacred furniture in them. 

Yes, the "sanctuary" is what I meant, not a side room to the Girl Scouts or providing a space for AA. I HAVE heard of churches renting out meeting space, just not the actual church part of a church. 

• Love 1

I too agree that as a general rule you have to be part of a congregation to use their facilities for a wedding.  My mother has kept me on the roster of their "independent bible-believing" church for years for just this reason; and a friend had to go all the way to she and the groom's shared campus in order to find a church that would perform the ceremony (they're Catholics).  I guess it was seen that as alumnae that counted for a connection; and to some extent this may be because many churches don't have the time on their calendar to offer the booking of the sanctuary for non-affiliated weddings.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, queenanne said:

I too agree that as a general rule you have to be part of a congregation to use their facilities for a wedding.  My mother has kept me on the roster of their "independent bible-believing" church for years for just this reason; and a friend had to go all the way to she and the groom's shared campus in order to find a church that would perform the ceremony (they're Catholics).  I guess it was seen that as alumnae that counted for a connection; and to some extent this may be because many churches don't have the time on their calendar to offer the booking of the sanctuary for non-affiliated weddings.

Where I live, preference is given to parishioners at the various Catholic Churches, but, if there's an opening, anyone can use another church in the diocese.  I know someone who didn't want to marry in her own church because it was one of those modern church-in-the-round  deals and she wanted an aisle to walk down; she used a more traditional church a couple miles away.  There are a lot of Catholics where I live and a lot of churches, often, they are booked out more than a year in advance during prime wedding season.  I've heard of couples using a nearby parish if their date wasn't available at their own church.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 2

Finally watched this.  I did not like the decorations for a couple of reasons.  I didn't think it looked good but also the way they trashed the church.  That weed stuff is awful to clean up.  We have a Polynesian event yearly and the grass skirts leave a huge trail.  Takes awhile to get it all up.  Confetti is of the devil.  I would ban their dumbasses if they pulled that in my venue.  I would also assess a HUGE cleaning fee.

• Love 4
14 hours ago, doodlebug said:

Where I live, preference is given to parishioners at the various Catholic Churches, but, if there's an opening, anyone can use another church in the diocese.  I know someone who didn't want to marry in her own church because it was one of those modern church-in-the-round  deals and she wanted an aisle to walk down; she used a more traditional church a couple miles away.  There are a lot of Catholics where I live and a lot of churches, often, they are booked out more than a year in advance during prime wedding season.  I've heard of couples using a nearby parish if their date wasn't available at their own church.

But did she bring her own priest? 

17 hours ago, PuhLeeze said:

But did she bring her own priest? 

It depends, this particular person had a priest who was a family friend, however, she could've used one of the local parish's priests.  There is a fee for using the church for the service that everyone pays, and a fee for the priest, if you use one of that church's priests.  Same for funerals; I've had a couple of relatives who lived out of town who wanted to be buried here, in their hometown, in the same cemetery as other family members.  In both cases, I made the arrangements and the funeral director called the closest Catholic Church and, for one, we had a Mass that was celebrated by one of the parish priests who even went to the graveside (and did an absolutely wonderful personalized job for my aunt, people came up to him afterwards and asked how long he'd known her, they'd never met); I still exchange Christmas cards with him) and, in the other case, the parish priest came to the funeral home and conducted a short service there (it was what my uncle had requested, he didn't want the big church Mass, etc). 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, doodlebug said:

It depends, this particular person had a priest who was a family friend, however, she could've used one of the local parish's priests.  There is a fee for using the church for the service that everyone pays, and a fee for the priest, if you use one of that church's priests.  Same for funerals; I've had a couple of relatives who lived out of town who wanted to be buried here, in their hometown, in the same cemetery as other family members.  In both cases, I made the arrangements and the funeral director called the closest Catholic Church and, for one, we had a Mass that was celebrated by one of the parish priests who even went to the graveside (and did an absolutely wonderful personalized job for my aunt, people came up to him afterwards and asked how long he'd known her, they'd never met); I still exchange Christmas cards with him) and, in the other case, the parish priest came to the funeral home and conducted a short service there (it was what my uncle had requested, he didn't want the big church Mass, etc). 

Thank you for the good info. I have a tiny family and none of us were married in a church. I come from an area that didn't have many Catholics so I've only been to one or two Catholic weddings. I've never ever been to a church with a "stage" for any reason. 

• Love 3

I have a few friends who didn't actually attend a church but thought they needed a church wedding so they essentially rented out the space and the pastor I assume. Or brought their own in.   I know some that actually require you meet with the pastor for like a counseling session or something before they will agree to let you hold the wedding there, if you aren't a member. 

My SIL actually paid like a $100-$200 member fee to the local Yacht club so she could have her wedding there. Since her dream was a 'beachy' style wedding. 

If I ever get married I'm not really determined to marry in a church but my dream is to fly in my childhood pastor that I grew up with.  But I'm also not opposed to having someone else I know just going online and getting ordained ;)

• Love 1
On 10/22/2017 at 4:49 PM, PuhLeeze said:

Us ebil Catholics call that a donation when we use the church for our weddings.

• Love 3
On 10/19/2017 at 4:21 PM, DangerousMinds said:

I wonder if they know that changing their last names is optional, and it's not even tradition for women to do so in many other countries.

Considering they're fully indoctrinated into the cult of headship/patriarchy, I doubt Boob ever brought that up as an option for any of the daughters, so I'm leaning towards the "they legitimately have no idea" side of the equation.

• Love 1

Sorry serving snack size bags of potato chips at wedding reception is tacky and as for Jennifer crying she know she be helping Jana raised the remaining younger Duggar children and she also know she be getting married and not going to college and live on her own

• Love 1