Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E06: Joy and Austin Tie the Knot

frenchtoast
  • Start Topic

3 hours ago, flyingdi said:

Oh, Duggars, what have you done to this poor child?  How can one individual be so bossy and so indecisive at the same time?

"My hair is your choice, Austin.  Make a decision, Austin. Now!  I'm waiting!"

It's one of my favorite movies, but this is what was in my head all night after hearing that:

2qdpe0k.jpg

1 hour ago, mythoughtis said:

We direct your attention to the newest TLC show ‘Meet the Putnans’. Specifically the episode where the daughter and son in law say they will be temporarily moving for a OB/GYN fellowship. Separation anxiety to the 10th power. At least the Duggars move out of the main home upon their marriage. 

Ugh.  I had to turn that off after a few minutes.  The only correct response that "dad" should have given his DOCTOR son-in-law was "I'm happy for you.  We'll be glad to welcome you back in a year".  I wanted to throw something through the tv.

• Love 9

I skipped most of the episode; it was basically a re-run with some new family stuff (airport greetings, dress fitting) that didn't add any interest.

I caught Joe's proposal and didn't remember this from the first time - Austin popping between them scolding "No Kissing"..........At that moment I really, really wanted to just smack him right in the mouth.  And that from a person who thinks a quick tap upside the head is violent.  Mr. Perfect stuck to their made up crazy rules but has been "allowed" to kiss all he wants since he said I Do an hour ago so now he can monitor Joe and Kendra lest they do it right there at the reception in their excitement to be betrothed.  Ack!  They drive me crazy sometimes!

Question:  Is the "Miss <firstname>" thing a Duggar habit or a Southern habit?  Seems like Joy, Jessa and the rest should be able at their age to just call the dress maker Renee or for Jill to call her MIL just Cathy and not add the "Miss" in front of all the names.  Then I thought maybe it's not another Duggar respect rule maybe it's just what they say in the south or their area.

• Love 5
4 minutes ago, sigmaforce86 said:

I skipped most of the episode; it was basically a re-run with some new family stuff (airport greetings, dress fitting) that didn't add any interest.

I caught Joe's proposal and didn't remember this from the first time - Austin popping between them scolding "No Kissing"..........At that moment I really, really wanted to just smack him right in the mouth.  And that from a person who thinks a quick tap upside the head is violent.  Mr. Perfect stuck to their made up crazy rules but has been "allowed" to kiss all he wants since he said I Do an hour ago so now he can monitor Joe and Kendra lest they do it right there at the reception in their excitement to be betrothed.  Ack!  They drive me crazy sometimes!

Question:  Is the "Miss <firstname>" thing a Duggar habit or a Southern habit?  Seems like Joy, Jessa and the rest should be able at their age to just call the dress maker Renee or for Jill to call her MIL just Cathy and not add the "Miss" in front of all the names.  Then I thought maybe it's not another Duggar respect rule maybe it's just what they say in the south or their area.

It is more of a Southern thing.  You are taught to address someone older as Mrs/Mr Such-n-such or you address them as Miss Jane or Mr Joe.  My children call my best friend Miss Cathy as that is what they were taught.

• Love 7
2 hours ago, Angeltoes said:

The one with Michelle and Joy cracks me up because of JB chowing down on chips in the background like he's at a football game.

They served individual bags of chips at a wedding reception?  Classy...

• Love 4

I just can't get over all the hoopla they go thru nowadays for a wedding, mainly the pre-wedding prep.  Back in the olden days when I got married in 1984, I got dressed and did my makeup and hair at home with my mother's & sister's help. Bridesmaids came to house in wedding gear for pictures.  Then we left for church.  We sat in limo til it was time to go in.  Same for the groom & ushers.  They arrived the at the church ready to go. I also remember at the last minute my sister grabbed a comb and my lipstick to take with us to do a last minute touch up in the limo.  That was it.

I just don't get all this arriving hours ahead of time and the lugging in of clothes, suitcases, bags, and boxes all to get ready at the church. Everything seems in disarray.  Jessa was wrestling with a huge suitcase & Austin looked like he was carrying in new shoe boxes for the groomsmen. They didn't even get to try out the shoes before the wedding?  Same with the suit, wouldn't you try it on ahead of time to make sure everything fits?  There seemed to be a lot of "down time" before the wedding.  People were just sitting around  looking at their watches, talking or munching on chips like JB. Basically looking like they'd rather be anywhere else than there. The bridal suite seemed so crowded in the picture with JB.

I still can't get over the crowds of people at the Duggar's & their like weddings.  I wish one of them would break with the large amount of invitees & get married in that beautiful glass chapel where Benessa got engaged.

• Love 11

I thought Joy's hair looked better at the rehearsal dinner than it did at her wedding.  At least it was semi-neatly braided.

She seems like a brainless twit, just like SM Jill.  At least JinJer and Jessa seem to have something upstairs.

How ANY of these Duggar girl's husbands can even keep from punching Joshley, I have no idea.  

WTF was that "Something" gig in the girls' dorm?  I noticed Stepford wife Anna there, no doubt to keep the TLC $ rolling.  

The brown shoe/sandal fetish, no matter the wedding colors, has me perplexed.

• Love 6

I see the last season of this trainwreck- Episode one- Joy gets arrested for stalking her soon-to-be ex spouse and endlessly asking him to "MAKE A DECISION" of course this was after they were both arrested for disturbing the peace while living in their trail.....er TINY HOUSE (yea that's it).

Derrick has a terrible Twitter accident and he was never seen again. Jill looked sad for a few minutes then asked what was the question.

Jim Bob is pushed around in an office chair with 3 wheels, drooling endlessly and asking for tuna with BBQ sauce.

Michelle has disappeared-oddly at the same time her son-in-law Jessa's husband was reported missing. Questions were asked.

There are neighborhood reports of feral teenagers all around Tonitown.

Who watches this crap? Seriously I mean beyond all of us hatewatchers? The mind it boggles. And also Cindy is insane and was trying to get them all to leave her alone by putting a barnyard in the church but it backfired since they liked it.

• Love 18
4 minutes ago, Chicklet said:

I see the last season of this trainwreck- Episode one- Joy gets arrested for stalking her soon-to-be ex spouse and endlessly asking him to "MAKE A DECISION" of course this was after they were both arrested for disturbing the peace while living in their trail.....er TINY HOUSE (yea that's it).

Derrick has a terrible Twitter accident and he was never seen again. Jill looked sad for a few minutes then asked what was the question.

Jim Bob is pushed around in an office chair with 3 wheels, drooling endlessly and asking for tuna with BBQ sauce.

Michelle has disappeared-oddly at the same time her son-in-law Jessa's husband was reported missing. Questions were asked.

There are neighborhood reports of feral teenagers all around Tonitown.

Who watches this crap? Seriously I mean beyond all of us hatewatchers? The mind it boggles. And also Cindy is insane and was trying to get them all to leave her alone by putting a barnyard in the church but it backfired since they liked it.

Jinger is questioned about the events of her birth family and replies,  "What do you mean?  Who?"

John David and Jana are last seen in a small aircraft flying to Alaska and laughing hysterically.

Anna is seen crying as she's questioned about the accidental shooting of her husband.

• Love 14
2 hours ago, flyingdi said:

Jinger is questioned about the events of her birth family and replies,  "What do you mean?  Who?"

John David and Jana are last seen in a small aircraft flying to Alaska and laughing hysterically.

Anna is seen crying as she's questioned about the accidental shooting of her husband.

Hahahaha! Between your post and Chicklet's opener, that sounds like a show which actually might be worth seeing!

• Love 2
2 hours ago, PuhLeeze said:

And don't forget "epic." Austin looked exhausted and over it by the final talking head. It seems like Joy is plenty bossy, except for wedding planning, telling him to smile. 

Austin: You can't say epic.

Joy (In my imagination) Screw you, I can say what I want.

• Love 5
8 hours ago, Churchhoney said:

Since I saw the Jim Bob/Michelle behavior from people who weren't fundie, I conclude that JB and M are not just Gothard-soaked but also just psychologically warped in the same way my family members were. .... We can blame a bit of their behavior on fundamentalism, and a bit on Gothard, but I'd bet a substantial sum that they'd do a lot of the same things they're doing now even if they'd never heard of either of those belief systems. What's being shown here as "family entertainment" is psychologically sick behavior that's resulted in several varieties of long-term child abuse. Their religious beliefs play a part but they aren't the core of it at all, in my opinion.  

It's like "which came first, the chicken or the egg?"

Were Michelle and Jim Bob so sick that they were attracted to Gothard?  Or did Gothard really fuck them up?

I think it's a blend of both. 

• Love 3
7 hours ago, sigmaforce86 said:

I think that's a "respect" thing. I was raised to do that as well (not fundie or southern). You don't address someone old enough to be your parent by their first name without an invitation. I'm 32 and I address certain friends parents as Mr/Ms First Name. 

• Love 8
12 hours ago, Angeltoes said:

When Pastor Caldwell (who reminds me of Donny Osmond) asked if they were ready, and Joy said,"Ready for what?" with the eyebrow wiggle, I thought that was not sweet or demure, and definitely tacky in a church.  Simmer down, girl, just another hour and you can swing that bra like a lasso.

Who waits until five minutes before the wedding possession to have the veil/no veil discussion?  I'm glad it was yes because it helped cover that mop of hair.  She should have had an updo. 

Mr. Angeltoes thought her entrance music sounded like a movie score.

What's strange is the song is Crown Him With Many Crowns...talks about Jesus. Uh..okay Joy

I truly worry about Joy giving birth. She is so much more immature even than the others. So indecisive, so scared of life. I fear there could be a meltdown of epic proportions. That's right Austdumb, I said epic. Bring it....

• Love 9
9 hours ago, tabloidlover said:

Most overused words -  ummm, surreal, ummm, excited, ummm, getting married, ummm, can't believe, ummm

i swear they could have shaved at least 90 minutes from this episode by eliminating these words alone. 

Indeed to this. And the one that REALLY gets me ( I notice it with the girls mostly) "AND SO"........."AND SO"

I watch but have missed some so please and thank you---- thank you for pointing out that Anna was there(don't think it registered to me) and do they at all discuss her husband (Duggar number one son)? He wasn't there was he?

As I said please and thank you

• Love 1

Joy and Austin both said "I can't believe I'm getting married" so many times that I start to believe them.  One of the times that Austin said it he looked like a deer in the headlights.

As has already been mentioned, Joy's dress was a mess.  The sleeves were wrinkled.  Asking for Austin's advice re her hair right before the ceremony was cringe-worthy.  She is either extremely insecure or he is very critical - maybe both. I don't know how she is going to function as a mother.

Jennifer crying, not happy tears, but misery.  There's something going on there.  I also wonder if Joy's horniness is due to the molestation by Josh.  Embarrassing to watch.

I feel sorry for Jana.  She must really be considered an old maid by now.  What is she, 27? Old by Dugger-standards. What a miserable life, living in that house, taking care of the younger children.  I haven't paid enough attention, does she at least have her own room?  What happens if she never marries?  She just continues to live there?  No job or home of her own?

Edited by debbie311
  • Love 8

It sounded like Erin was again the pianist for another fundie wedding.  Does the girl ever get paid for this, or is she expected to travel and do it for free?

ETA: I missed that this show was 2 hours long--took me forever to get through it!

Edited by riverblue22
19 hours ago, Barb23 said:

I just can't get over all the hoopla they go thru nowadays for a wedding, mainly the pre-wedding prep.  Back in the olden days when I got married in 1984, I got dressed and did my makeup and hair at home with my mother's & sister's help. Bridesmaids came to house in wedding gear for pictures.  Then we left for church.  We sat in limo til it was time to go in.  Same for the groom & ushers.  They arrived the at the church ready to go. I also remember at the last minute my sister grabbed a comb and my lipstick to take with us to do a last minute touch up in the limo.  That was it.

I just don't get all this arriving hours ahead of time and the lugging in of clothes, suitcases, bags, and boxes all to get ready at the church. Everything seems in disarray.  Jessa was wrestling with a huge suitcase & Austin looked like he was carrying in new shoe boxes for the groomsmen. They didn't even get to try out the shoes before the wedding?  Same with the suit, wouldn't you try it on ahead of time to make sure everything fits?  There seemed to be a lot of "down time" before the wedding.  People were just sitting around  looking at their watches, talking or munching on chips like JB. Basically looking like they'd rather be anywhere else than there. The bridal suite seemed so crowded in the picture with JB.

I still can't get over the crowds of people at the Duggar's & their like weddings.  I wish one of them would break with the large amount of invitees & get married in that beautiful glass chapel where Benessa got engaged.

I got married 10 years after you.  We all got dressed at the church, as did the groomsmen.  We had a single hair person there (no makeup) who helped get the bridesmaids (I had 3 - not 16 or however many there are at these ridiculous weddings) head pieces on, and I wore a hat, so she helped me get that on, and then put our hair in to place afterwards.  Shoes and whatnot were all done ahead of time.  We had some stuff we brought to the church, but not a ton.  Photos were done before the wedding for the non-family photos, and then family photos were done after.  None of this first look stuff, or the now popular photos of the dress hanging in front of the window, or shoes in a line or star pattern, etc.  Nice and simple.

1 hour ago, debbie311 said:

Jennifer crying, not happy tears, but misery.  There's something going on there.  I also wonder if Joy's horniness is due to the molestation by Josh.  Embarrassing to watch.

I feel sorry for Jana.  She must really be considered an old maid by now.  What is she, 27? Old by Dugger-standards. What a miserable life, living in that house, taking care of the younger children.  I haven't paid enough attention, does she at least have her own room?  What happens if she never marries?  She just continues to live there?  No job or home of her own?

Re: Jennifer:  Everything she's ever known is in upheaval.  With Joy gone, she's pretty much on her own, since her poor excuse for a mother seems to let the younger kids run feral, or she's faced with the reality that she may now be in charge of her younger sisters.  Sucks either way.

As for Joy, I think it's just normal teenage hormones combined with the fact that they have no outlet for it.  They're not allowed to even kiss a boy, so actually doing the deed is out, and they're taught that "taking care of business" by yourself is also a sin, and not to be done (I don't know many people who could have gotten through their teen years without being able to take care of their own business when needed), so this is her only way to scratch that itch, and not go to hell for it.

Re: Jana:  No, I believe she's still stuck in the "girls room".  A woman in her late 20's being stuck watching over little kids.  I can't imagine.

• Love 8

I had forgotten that the bride walked down the aisle to “western gunslinger triumphantly returning to his wife and his homestead” music. 

I’m guessing Jedediah ran out of fuel because he was towing a trailer with the arches in it and didn’t properly take that into account. Don’t really understand why those big cathedral arch things were just sitting in that field in the first place. 

Kendra couldn’t possibly not have seen a proposal coming her way by the three month mark.

I noticed Joe and Kendra drank out of Ben and Jessa’s matching pimp cups. 

22 hours ago, iluvobx said:

It is more of a Southern thing.  You are taught to address someone older as Mrs/Mr Such-n-such or you address them as Miss Jane or Mr Joe.  My children call my best friend Miss Cathy as that is what they were taught.

My mom lives in Colorado and people younger than her call her Miss Name

• Love 2
21 hours ago, xwordfanatik said:

I thought Joy's hair looked better at the rehearsal dinner than it did at her wedding.  At least it was semi-neatly braided.

She seems like a brainless twit, just like SM Jill.  At least JinJer and Jessa seem to have something upstairs.

How ANY of these Duggar girl's husbands can even keep from punching Joshley, I have no idea.  

WTF was that "Something" gig in the girls' dorm?  I noticed Stepford wife Anna there, no doubt to keep the TLC $ rolling.  

The brown shoe/sandal fetish, no matter the wedding colors, has me perplexed.

We can only hope it's not because they agree that it's, to whatever minor degree, the girls' fault.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, funky-rat said:

As for Joy, I think it's just normal teenage hormones combined with the fact that they have no outlet for it.  They're not allowed to even kiss a boy, so actually doing the deed is out, and they're taught that "taking care of business" by yourself is also a sin, and not to be done (I don't know many people who could have gotten through their teen years without being able to take care of their own business when needed), so this is her only way to scratch that itch, and not go to hell for it.

Plus, with Mr. "Hey, hey, hey" for a father, it's likely she doesn't even have any idea that it's no more appropriate to gloat about "righteous fulfillment" after the wedding than before.

• Love 15
2 minutes ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

Plus, with Mr. "Hey, hey, hey" for a father, it's likely she doesn't even have any idea that it's no more appropriate to gloat about "righteous fulfillment" after the wedding than before.

Exactly (and sadly).

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Kokapetl said:

I had forgotten that the bride walked down the aisle to “western gunslinger triumphantly returning to his wife and his homestead” music. 

I’m guessing Jedediah ran out of fuel because he was towing a trailer with the arches in it and didn’t properly take that into account. Don’t really understand why those big cathedral arch things were just sitting in that field in the first place. 

Kendra couldn’t possibly not have seen a proposal coming her way by the three month mark.

I noticed Joe and Kendra drank out of Ben and Jessa’s matching pimp cups. 

What is a pimp cup?  Never heard the term.

22 minutes ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

He just makes me sick.  What a freaking perv.

1 hour ago, Rabbittron said:

My mom lives in Colorado and people younger than her call her Miss Name

sigmaforce asked was it a Duggar thing or Southern.  I was explaining that it is not a Duggar thing.  To me, it is just good manners (anywhere) if you refer to someone older than you as Miss Jane or Mrs. Smith.

• Love 6

I also wondered why Joe and Kendra were given gold chalices with grape bunches engraved on them...just like the communion chalices we use in church. I would find that uncomfortable and a bit disrespectful to do, myself...we were taught 'church things' were holy and special and you don't  play with them or use them for other things but church. Benessa were drinking out of plastic glasses, like you'd give a child some kool aid in?

• Love 2

Is anything EVER not "amazing, super, surreal, exciting," ad nauseam?

"And so, like" that's maddening.  Even hate-watching is getting to be a chore.  I never get tired of snarking, though.  

I've been to one fundy wedding (a relative) and I'll never forget how creepy it was.  The couple were actually asked if they were both virgins!  And, if they would accept all the children God saw fit to bestow.  They WERE referred to as "blessings."  I myself consider it a blessing I wasn't raised that way.

• Love 8

I guess I haven't seen Joe much, because i found that I liked him much more than his brothers, and even most of his sisters. Kendra is funny looking, but pleasant enough, and to me  they seem more well matched than Joy and Austin.

Edited by beckie
because proofreading before posting is important.
  • Love 5

The venue the wedding took place looked a tacky convention hall met Hee Haw.  What was the deal with all that hay all over the place?  Did they pay for that?  Who's the poor person that has to clean that sh*t up?  Jana?

• Love 5

Being born and raised in AZ, I appreciate the "Miss" and "Mr" <insert name>. I was raised to call my elders Mr, Mrs, Ms <last name> and many would take offense and insist on me using their first name....that didn't feel comfortable to me at all. When my husband went active duty and we PCSd all over the place, we were exposed to the addition of "Miss" or "Mr to a first name. At first it felt like I was part of a Southern historical romance but it was a perfect compromise to be respectful and not overly familiar. My mom HATES both that and the "Yes Ma'am" that my now kid-dult children had instilled through years of education in the south. She's originally from NY and says it makes her feel old...

So, was it me or did Joy's hair change between pre-ceremony pics and the actual event? In the "first look", it didn't seem to be pulled back from her face at all and just hung with all the weight pulling out her curls. For the ceremony,  it looks like the right side was pulled from her face so you can see her.

"Surreal" and "special" must be removed from their lexicon. They need a thesaurus....or learn what a thesaurus is at least.

Edited by asuwur
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, asuwur said:

Being born and raised in AZ, I appreciate the "Miss" and "Mr" <insert name>. I was raised to call my elders Mr, Mrs, Ms <last name> and many would take offense and insist on me using their first name....that didn't feel comfortable to me at all. When my husband went active duty and we PCSd all over the place, we were exposed to the addition of "Miss" or "Mr to a first name. At first it felt like I was part of a Southern historical romance but it was a perfect compromise to be respectful and not overly familiar. My mom HATES both that and the "Yes Ma'am" that my now kid-dult children had instilled through years of education in the south. She's originally from NY and says it makes her feel old..

Yup...being PCSd all over will do that! We were not in the South for more than a couple of years when our kids were young, so it didn't "stick" with them, but, like you, I did find it to be a nice balance between respectful and familiar.

14 hours ago, xwordfanatik said:

I've been to one fundy wedding (a relative) and I'll never forget how creepy it was.  The couple were actually asked if they were both virgins!  And, if they would accept all the children God saw fit to bestow.  They WERE referred to as "blessings."  I myself consider it a blessing I wasn't raised that way.

Been to just one myself (thankfully) and yes, it was creepy.  Something about how she had to be always behind him, over his shoulder, she always had to be helping him and listening to what he said, etc.  No asking if they were virgins - they were both in their 30's, and while I would believe the bride might have been, the groom was definitely not.  The marriage lasted maybe 2 years, max.

11 hours ago, beckie said:

I guess I haven't seen Joe much, because i found that I liked him much more than his brothers, and even most of his sisters. Kendra is funny looking, but pleasant enough, and to me  they seem more well matched than Joy and Austin.

I think she's cute, but she has an odd voice and unusually chubby face for the rest of her shape.  She'd do a lot better with short hair, since her face is round and full, but that will never happen.

11 hours ago, ariel said:

The venue the wedding took place looked a tacky convention hall met Hee Haw.  What was the deal with all that hay all over the place?  Did they pay for that?  Who's the poor person that has to clean that sh*t up?  Jana?

I was more nervous about a carpeted stage full of hay and lit candles.  No one thought that through.......

• Love 4
On 10/17/2017 at 3:18 PM, Barb23 said:

I know what you mean. There's nothing wrong with having a nice wedding but it seems like the more extravagant and detailed they are the less likely you are to enjoy it. 

• Love 1
On 10/17/2017 at 4:23 AM, Marshmallow Mollie said:

Right?! That whole scene was so awkward. So it is normal in their house to invite people, especially a grown man, into their bedroom? And/or was that the only place they could find that was quiet enough for filming, in which case tell me again what great parents the Duggars are and what well-mannered children they have. 

ETA the Duggars are so half-assed. They also could have made arrangements ahead of time for the younger children to be gone/outside so they had the living room for something party. 

Do they not have other shared living spaces like a den or play room in that big house?

Since the feral Howlers are no longer howling, and the little girls never made much noise, I suspect the girls dorm was the only area clean enough to film in.

Some more observations after watching it again:

I laughed when Austin was showing us the house & said they were getting  a stackable washer & dryer. Most of them are small. I think they should have opted for a heavy duty super duper model considering there's a blessing on the way & more to come.  

Cutting the cake:  Both seemed dumbfounded, mostly Joy. With all their "wedding helpers" couldn't someone have shown them where to cut?  I think one of our catering ladies showed us what to do at my wedding.

I wonder what the professional hair & makeup guy & gal thought (the ones Joy & Kendra went to pre wedding) after seeing Joy's unruly mess. 

I still can't get over Austin being so excited thinking it was great their first kiss could be witnessed by everyone.

• Love 6
15 hours ago, orangeiguana said:

That's KRAY-zeee! I won't be a Duggar after today! KRAY-zeeee! The sky is KEAY-zeee blue!

I wonder if they know that changing their last names is optional, and it's not even tradition for women to do so in many other countries.

• Love 1