Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E06: Joy and Austin Tie the Knot

frenchtoast
  • Start Topic

Is there a reason these idiots constantly run out of gas? By the way Duggars, your total lack of common sense and lack of consideration for others time is not cute. It's rude and extremely selfish.

• Love 23

This is really really surreal!  Say it one more time and I'm changing the channel.  Change the name of this show to The Surreal Life.

Joy is so infatuated with this guy because he's the first grown adult male she's ever met.

• Love 10

Sweet jesus. Joy is mentally slow. Can I sign my name, what's my name, duh...dur, duh.... Christ, people are weeping like someone died. Oh wait....

1 minute ago, woodscommaelle said:

Cindy. Why don't you have your own employees?

If I was Cindy the minute they put gas in that truck I would have run them over.

• Love 14

It's airing now. I think I've seen two minutes of it. I LMAO when they talked about the sleeves being so original. No Miss Renee. They were butt ugly and didn't fit her at all. Use a fabric with more stretch so you don't get that awful wrinkling showed up in their pictures. My god, I don't even sew, and I have a better feel of how to pic a fabric than this "designer." 

Jeremy: SOOOOOO checked out when Jinger did a TH about wedding themes. He only looked at her when she finished speaking. 

• Love 9
6 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

Jeremy: SOOOOOO checked out when Jinger did a TH about wedding themes. He only looked at her when she finished speaking. 

Yes yes yes!

Miss Renee could be Judy Trammell's sister ( from DCC Making the Team).

Edited by woodscommaelle
  • Love 3

Joy looked positively THRILLED with that old grill. As she would say, NOT! 

Looked up again. Wait, they had the "Something" party in the GIRLS' dorm? They couldn't even spare the living room? Whaaaaat?

• Love 4

I would hate to have to be the one to clean up that church. What a total mess - it was a mess with all that grass and crap on the floor, but then the confetti cannon! I am not a clean or neat freak, but seeing all that stuff all over the floor gave me anxiety and it looked awful. 

• Love 16

I laughed so hard and had to rewind 3 times to look at the post-confetti cannon expression on the face of the elderly woman in white in the front row. 

Also, Joy used an ADVERB!  She said "perfectly" about the sun shining through the windows of the church. 

Question: Where is Pastor Caldwell's church? Does Cross Church just rent the space out BYOP (bring your own pastor)? 

• Love 14
7 hours ago, woodscommaelle said:

Yes yes yes!

Miss Renee could be Judy Trammell's sister ( from DCC Making the Team).

YES! 

4 hours ago, PuhLeeze said:

I laughed so hard and had to rewind 3 times to look at the post-confetti cannon expression on the face of the elderly woman in white in the front row. 

Also, Joy used an ADVERB!  She said "perfectly" about the sun shining through the windows of the church. 

Question: Where is Pastor Caldwell's church? Does Cross Church just rent the space out BYOP (bring your own pastor)? 

She was great! So pissed. Lol. Plus with the current state of the world I'm not so sure having something with a loud bang in a large group of people wasn't the smartest idea. I would have hit the floor.

• Love 7
7 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

Looked up again. Wait, they had the "Something" party in the GIRLS' dorm? They couldn't even spare the living room? Whaaaaat?

Right?! That whole scene was so awkward. So it is normal in their house to invite people, especially a grown man, into their bedroom? And/or was that the only place they could find that was quiet enough for filming, in which case tell me again what great parents the Duggars are and what well-mannered children they have. 

ETA the Duggars are so half-assed. They also could have made arrangements ahead of time for the younger children to be gone/outside so they had the living room for something party. 

Do they not have other shared living spaces like a den or play room in that big house?

Edited by Marshmallow Mollie
  • Love 9
10 hours ago, SuzyLee said:

Let’s see, what was I doing 21 years ago when I was 19?  I was enrolled in my first and final year of community college, preparing to transfer to the local state university.  By August, I was on my second boyfriend of the year, who was much nicer than the previous one.  We enjoyed playing racquetball together at the park, making out in his older brother’s Toyota Supra when he let us borrow it, and eating cheap, crappy dinners at Bennigan’s (remember that place?).  I had a part-time job at a used bookstore, where I read all of the Beat Generation poetry and novels I could get my hands on during my lunch breaks.  I toyed with smoking until I realized that I kind of hated it.  I was obsessed with the music of Prince, Tori Amos, Björk, Oasis, and Beck.  I loved watching Seinfeld with my little brother every Thursday night.  I loved my mom and shared everything with her . . . almost.  I had a wide variety of friends, some of whom actually disagreed with my views, which dared me to (*gasp*) widen my horizons.  I was confused, overwhelmed, and so very happy and free.

You know what I wasn’t doing?  Getting married to a fundie who would control my every move and impregnate me again and again and fucking again.  Poor Joy.  She doesn’t even know what she doesn’t know and that’s probably a blessing. 

And ... your mind and life experienced and expanded and enjoyed more in that single year than JOY!!!- Anna's will in her entire stunted little life, most likely. 

But we must remember that her life was chosen for her by her parents -- who know that God has so many AMAZING things in store for her because of their choices!!!! And they just can't WAIT to see them!!

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 14
44 minutes ago, Churchhoney said:

When you're stunted, you are a child. Kids react the way they do not because they're kids, exactly, but because they haven't encountered things before. If you aren't allowed to encounter anything when you're physically a child -- and in the case of the Duggars that includes encountering most aspects of your own mind -- then when you encounter those things later you'll respond to them exactly the way a child would. ....

Seems to me this is one of the many things that's extremely hard for people to understand about the terrible harm Duggar parenting does. If you haven't experienced this kind of thing you can't get your mind around it, I guess. The impulse is to get annoyed at Joy. But she's been deliberately infantilized her entire life so she's inevitably going to respond to things the way a little kid would. I know. I did the same thing. 

@Churchhoney, sometimes when I read about how you were raised, I just want to cry and give you a big old hug. And a childhood do-over.

I do feel mean in not feeling the same kind of way about the Duggars, because they didn't choose to be raised the way they were either. 

But I just can't get past their smug, holier-than-thou attitudes (even knowing they were probably beaten into being like that.)

Whelp, now I want to cry for them, and give them big old hugs too (and definitely a different childhood)...but I know they would have none of my heathen sympathy...so screw 'em!  ;-)

Ps weird post, but I am on (good)drugs in the hospital (just got my lap band removed yesterday.) After 7 years it went bad, and I was continually throwing up everything, even water.

Drugs or not, I still want to hug you and give you a childhood do-over Churchie. I've thought this for a long time..the drugs just have loosened my tongue (fingers) so just don't read all this...lol

Edited by ChiCricket
  • Love 22
30 minutes ago, ChiCricket said:

@Churchhoney, sometimes when I read about how you were raised, I just want to cry and give you a big old hug. And a childhood do-over.

I do feel mean in not feeling the same kind of way about the Duggars, because they didn't choose to be raised the way they were either. 

But I just can't get past their smug, holier-than-thou attitudes (even knowing they were probably beaten into being like that.)

Whelp, now I want to cry for them, and give them big old hugs too (and definitely a different childhood)...but I know they would have none of my heathen sympathy...so screw 'em!  ;-)

Ps weird post, but I am on (good)drugs in the hospital (just got my lap band removed yesterday.) After 7 years it went bad, and I was continually throwing up everything, even water.

Drugs or not, I still want to hug you and give you a childhood do-over Churchie. I've thought this for a long time..the drugs just have loosened my tongue (fingers) so just don't read all this...lol

Thanks! I appreciate your thoughts -- and I feel the same way about the Duggarslings. One minute my heart breaks for them and the next I want to hit them upside the head. Perfectly natural responses we're having, I think. 

And good wishes sent your way for a speedy and healthy recovery!

• Love 13

One question and 2 observations:

Was that the TTH where Joy tried on her dress for the final fitting? It didn’t look like their kitchen and the floor was different.

And I noticed that Ben & Jessa were the only 2 eating green salads when Joe and Kendra came over for dinner.

Lastly Kendra’s sis ( Lauren?) sounds exactly  like Kendra. I bet it’s hard to tell them apart when they are on the phone.

• Love 2

Just some observations:

I wouldn't have eaten anything at Jessa's with all that long hair not tied back or even pulled back over their shoulders. (Jessa, Kendra & Loren.)  I liked Izzy sitting at the table taking it all in and he was using a fork.

I guess the girls didn't know what was involved in picking the weeds for the ceremony for Cindy.  I wouldn't want to have  been standing in knee high grass in a skirt with bare legs. Leggings anyone?  I can't believe they (Cindy) goes through all that decorating for a rushed 15 minute ceremony.  Those wooden window like frames were heavy & difficult to maneuver.

Why couldn't Joy have dressed up even a little bit for the rehearsal?  Austin  changed to a shirt & tie for the dinner.  The shirt she had on on her wedding day was better than what she wore at the rehearsal.

Edited by Barb23
  • Love 4
6 minutes ago, keetmommy said:

Joy's comment "We wont be able to stay long" I found offensive, people came to see you, You need to stay around for more then a few minutes (she commented earlier that they wouldn't stay long) I mean I guess if you have a 1000 people at your wedding you cant talk to all but you can put off jumping in the sack by an hour or twon.

Seriously!!! I feel like weddings in the Duggar world are basically fundie conferences. Doesn't matter who the hell is getting married. LOL

How sad. At my wedding I just remember feeling so incredibly grateful to everyone who showed up to our party.  Duggars are so tacky. 

I tried to watch this episode, I don't think I made it past the first 5 minutes. 

• Love 13

Oh, Duggars, what have you done to this poor child?  How can one individual be so bossy and so indecisive at the same time?

"My hair is your choice, Austin.  Make a decision, Austin. Now!  I'm waiting!"

• Love 12

When the one younger sister (Jennifer? I get them confused), was visibly upset right before they walked down the aisle, I thought it was sweet that Joy was trying to comfort her. Then Michelle tried to get involved....uuggghhh...she bugs me to no end and doesn't help a situation.

• Love 9
23 minutes ago, flyingdi said:

Oh, Duggars, what have you done to this poor child?  How can one individual be so bossy and so indecisive at the same time?

"My hair is your choice, Austin.  Make a decision, Austin. Now!  I'm waiting!"

This.  It is nauseating to me to watch this child/woman be so indecisive and plain stupid about everything.  Someone mentioned upthread, this girl has no clue what she is missing in life........there is no better truth than that statement.  Now she's pregnant, decisions decisions.  Thought I saw it all with these people, apparently not.  Little Joy woman could hardly suppress her horniness, it was embarrassing to watch, imo.  I am so sick of wedding after wedding.  Also, Jenny;s tears were heartbreaking.  What little sister does this when her sister gets married?  There is something truly disfunctional about that.  TLC really jumped the shark on this one.

• Love 12

When Pastor Caldwell (who reminds me of Donny Osmond) asked if they were ready, and Joy said,"Ready for what?" with the eyebrow wiggle, I thought that was not sweet or demure, and definitely tacky in a church.  Simmer down, girl, just another hour and you can swing that bra like a lasso.

Who waits until five minutes before the wedding possession to have the veil/no veil discussion?  I'm glad it was yes because it helped cover that mop of hair.  She should have had an updo. 

Mr. Angeltoes thought her entrance music sounded like a movie score.

Edited by Angeltoes
  • Love 21

The Duggars treat their rehearsal dinners much like we (the outside world) treat our wedding receptions with the sit down meal,  much lower quantity of people and bride & groom mingling with guests.  I still can't believe Joy said they wouldn't be staying  long.

We can do without all these wedding family & friends testimonials.  Sure it's fun to have a few stories passed around but as we've said many times- they aren't going to war never to been again. Lighten up - it's a wedding not a funeral.

Poor Jenny (think it was her) was devastated as they were lining up. They did explain that Jenny is to Joy as Joy was to Jill.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Barb23 said:

Just some observations:

I wouldn't have eaten anything at Jessa's with all that long hair not tied back or even pulled back over their shoulders. (Jessa, Kendra & Loren.)  

They must be used to pulling long hairs out of their mouths and throats by now. Every cooking scene from the first 14 Kids special shows them prepping and cooking with their hair hanging down over the food. So gross. I always tie my long hair back when I'm in the kitchen! 

• Love 7
39 minutes ago, goldensglitter said:

This.  It is nauseating to me to watch this child/woman be so indecisive and plain stupid about everything.  Someone mentioned upthread, this girl has no clue what she is missing in life........there is no better truth than that statement.  Now she's pregnant, decisions decisions.  Thought I saw it all with these people, apparently not.  Little Joy woman could hardly suppress her horniness, it was embarrassing to watch, imo.  I am so sick of wedding after wedding.  Also, Jenny;s tears were heartbreaking.  What little sister does this when her sister gets married?  There is something truly disfunctional about that.  TLC really jumped the shark on this one.

So true.  Maybe, it's because I have seen it umpteen times, but, this repeated whining about how the older sisters will miss the one who's leaving to get married is just over the top.  Please.  Yes, the girls are young, but, their degree of misery about the sister moving out is just bizarre.  I mean, adult children do leave the nest and their other siblings. They may move away to college, get married, or just set up in their own space.  I'm not sure why they seem to take it to such a horrific level.  Maybe, it's because they don't have many other friends.  But, it's only Jana left now, of the older girls, so, I suppose that she'll be more or less the only one in charge.  I haven't kept  up enough lately to know if she's courting. 

And, since I grew up Fundie, I happen to know that it's not considered okay to act horny about your boyfriend.  Especially, in public.  Joy doesn't even know that. 

• Love 9
1 hour ago, goldensglitter said:

When my sister moved out at 18 (I was 10) all I remember was fighting with my other sister about who got her room.  And that it was one less person to share the bathroom with.  

Haven't seen this episode so this is kind of a depressing segue and a downer but all this talk about her superhorniess makes me wonder if her (as yet to be determined) hypersexuality is due to her horrible experience with her brother?  There are studies about this so I am not pulling it out of my heiney.  

• Love 8
2 hours ago, keetmommy said:

Joy's comment "We wont be able to stay long" I found offensive, people came to see you, You need to stay around for more then a few minutes (she commented earlier that they wouldn't stay long) I mean I guess if you have a 1000 people at your wedding you cant talk to all but you can put off jumping in the sack by an hour or twon.

Joy was in lust hard the whole show. Did you guys see her pulling Austin away into the car area?

My observations:

word of the night: awesome 

Joy's dress was a wrinkled mess. It did nothing for her, her hair would have looked better up. Kudos to Jinger for looking gorgeous and caring for the way she looked on her wedding day. Joy could have cared less she just wanted to get to the kissing and sweet fellowship ASAP.

Everytime Joe came on I couldn't stop looking at his face. I wondered how he got cheeto dust under his eyes? It truly boggled my mind. lol

**side note, I've really missed you guys but I have been shopping at JcPenny seriously lusting after all the colors of the MeChelle button down shirt in every color of the rainbow! I'm telling you guys they were half off and I had a coupon for an additional half off on top of that! But sadly, I left them all behind. My loss is your gain. *sob*

• Love 8
52 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

1 hour ago, goldensglitter said:

So true.  Maybe, it's because I have seen it umpteen times, but, this repeated whining about how the older sisters will miss the one who's leaving to get married is just over the top.  Please.  Yes, the girls are young, but, their degree of misery about the sister moving out is just bizarre.  I mean, adult children do leave the nest and their other siblings. They may move away to college, get married, or just set up in their own space.  I'm not sure why they seem to take it to such a horrific leve

We direct your attention to the newest TLC show ‘Meet the Putnans’. Specifically the episode where the daughter and son in law say they will be temporarily moving for a OB/GYN fellowship. Separation anxiety to the 10th power. At least the Duggars move out of the main home upon their marriage. 

• Love 4

I was raised IFB. At 19, I was: I was attending college in NYC, making friends, learning, working full time.  I was religious and still am but that doesn't preclude a person from living life! 

These Gothards are really a pack of sick and dysfunctional quacks. Michelle and Jim Bob really hooked their wagon to a bizarre group. 

• Love 9
1 hour ago, Barb23 said:

The Duggars treat their rehearsal dinners much like we (the outside world) treat our wedding receptions with the sit down meal,  much lower quantity of people and bride & groom mingling with guests.  I still can't believe Joy said they wouldn't be staying  long.

We can do without all these wedding family & friends testimonials.  Sure it's fun to have a few stories passed around but as we've said many times- they aren't going to war never to been again. Lighten up - it's a wedding not a funeral.

Poor Jenny (think it was her) was devastated as they were lining up. They did explain that Jenny is to Joy as Joy was to Jill.

And since Jill was Jenny's first sister mom, she's lost two now. Imagine being a kid her age who's had the only two mother figures you've ever known both leave you within about a three-year-period at that vulnerable age. And then you're left with Michelle, who all the kids must know is useless, nuts and probably often mean, even though the kids will never admit it. 

• Love 10
33 minutes ago, Marigold said:

I was raised IFB. At 19, I was: I was attending college in NYC, making friends, learning, working full time.  I was religious and still am but that doesn't preclude a person from living life! 

These Gothards are really a pack of sick and dysfunctional quacks. Michelle and Jim Bob really hooked their wagon to a bizarre group. 

Since I saw the Jim Bob/Michelle behavior from people who weren't fundie, I conclude that JB and M are not just Gothard-soaked but also just psychologically warped in the same way my family members were. .... We can blame a bit of their behavior on fundamentalism, and a bit on Gothard, but I'd bet a substantial sum that they'd do a lot of the same things they're doing now even if they'd never heard of either of those belief systems. What's being shown here as "family entertainment" is psychologically sick behavior that's resulted in several varieties of long-term child abuse. Their religious beliefs play a part but they aren't the core of it at all, in my opinion.  

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 13
32 minutes ago, Marigold said:

Me too, but, I don't think some came out as unscathed as some like we did. Seeing Joy just going along as if she's in a trance.....oh, but, Michelle is sort of that way.  I wish Joy all the best, but, I'm not sure that she would even realize it, if she was miserable. I think that might be interpreted as your heart not being right with God. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 6