Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Drogo

Hollywood's Dirty Little (Open) Secrets: Harvey Weinstein and Others Like Him

4 hours ago, SrOfficial said:

What did she do, again?  But, If I were her, I would resign.

She hasn't done anything, other than defend him in the press. She just has two high profile jobs CBS despite the fact that she has no talent or personality. Wonder how that happened? Now that hubby is out the door, no one is going to be there to protect her jobs.

Edited by Picture It. Sicily
  • Like 5

Here is the rigorous collection of information for the investigation by these so called independent law firms:

A message to CBS employees in August signed by the lead investigators, Nancy Kestenbaum and Mary Jo White, offered what a former CBS staffer said seemed like a halfhearted attempt at gathering information.

“We welcome speaking to anyone who has any information, including documents, to share about their experience working at CBS,” the message, which the Post obtained. The statement also said "We will also take steps to protect your identity to the full extent provided by law, if you ask that we do so. ”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2018/09/09/cbs-head-les-moonves-faces-new-sexual-assault-accusations-six-more-women-report-says/

• Like 3

Documents! He forced me to blow him and I have the paperwork to prove it? I have two sworn affidavits from witnesses to the act? Before each incident of harassment, I signed a form explicitly saying I did not consent? What?

• Like 13

Yes, this is what always enrages me about the "but, but - an investigation cleared him" crowd.  The firm hired by the company is not tasked with finding out what happened, but with evaluating the company's liability for the executive's actions; it may be called "independent," but it's effectively no different from an internal investigation.  They thus do not want to know what those actions were, they want to know what can be a) proven about the individual and, of those things, if any, b) established to be something the company knew or reasonably should have known had happened.  That goal colors every single aspect of the investigation, from the phrasing of questions to the ultimate conclusion.

• Like 20

3 hours ago, Picture It. Sicily said:

She hasn't done anything, other than defend him in the press. She just has two high profile jobs CBS despite the fact that she has no talent or personality. Wonder how that happened? Now that hubby is out the door, no one is going to be there to protect her jobs.

She's not the first wife to reap the benefits of her husbands bullying, Georgina Chapman (Harvey Weinstein's ex) was a judge on Project Runway All Stars (he produced the show) plus all the actresses he forced to wear her gowns to events, and she still claims she knew nothing about what he was doing.

• Like 7

7 hours ago, possibilities said:

Documents! He forced me to blow him and I have the paperwork to prove it? I have two sworn affidavits from witnesses to the act? Before each incident of harassment, I signed a form explicitly saying I did not consent? What?

I'm getting a picture of someone down on his/her knees holding a pen & paper.

9 hours ago, Picture It. Sicily said:

She hasn't done anything, other than defend him in the press. She just has two high profile jobs CBS despite the fact that she has no talent or personality. 

Of course, she would defend him - he's her husband & perhaps she does not know this side of him.  Her talent or lack thereof is subjective.  There are many untalented people on TV who have no spouse in high places.

• Like 4

Much of CBS' board is being replaced shortly as part of the settlement with Shari Redstone. Once she gets her hands on CBS, I expect that all Moonves' bullies and supporters including Fager will be gone in year's time.

Shari Redstone versus the CBS board (kinda NSFW):

• Like 5

18 hours ago, WritinMan said:

I just heard on the news that it could be $100 million, but it is being held in escrow pending the investigation results.

An update on this from Deadline:

“The lawsuit stuff is basically wrapped up, but the $100 million being discussed last week for Leslie is off the table,” an insider says. “Board members are looking at these New Yorker claims and there are now talks of him leaving for cause, which changes everything.”

https://deadline.com/2018/09/les-moonves-sexual-assault-new-claims-cbs-payout-rachel-bloom-shari-redstone-1202460683/

I really hope this is true.

• Like 11

13 hours ago, Picture It. Sicily said:

She's as ruthless and opportunistic as he is. She's no naive innocent. She has his stink on her. It will be interesting to see what happens with The Talk.

Edited by AdeleDazeem
  • Like 13

1 hour ago, AdeleDazeem said:

She's as ruthless and opportunistic as he is. She's no naive innocent. She has his stink on her. It will be interesting to see what happens with The Talk.

It will also be interesting to see if their marriage survives. 

• Like 4

On ‎09‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 6:39 PM, SimoneS said:

However Ronan comes off to different people, whenever someone claims he has "agenda," it is usually an attempt to discredit the stories he reports on sexual harassment because of his sister's allegations of sexual abuse against their father, Woody Allen. I never see anyone talking about Ronan's "agenda" or his "greater glory" when it comes to his reporting on important global issues, likely because they aren't high profile enough and most people in the U.S. don't care about those issues.

I will admit to not following his career, but I only ever hear about him in connection to harassment/abuse issues, and so that is all I can comment on.  People are entitled to have their own opinions about him and his reporting.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

I will admit to not following his career, but I only ever hear about him in connection to harassment/abuse issues, and so that is all I can comment on.  People are entitled to have their own opinions about him and his reporting.

I haven’t seen him reporting on important global issues either.  The gutter seems to be his thang.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

All I can see is that he looks like he’s Frank Sinatra’s son. *I’ll show myself out* 

• Like 5

On 9/7/2018 at 7:17 PM, Vermicious Knid said:

Too late!

Chef Mike Isabella filing for bankruptcy after harassment scandal.

2 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

Good.

When the public reaction to something like this is along the lines "ehhh, not surprised" that is this the official sign that you are a far shittier person than you realized. And that's how it is with Isabella. He has always come across as an asshole sleaze.

Two of the cast of Bravo's Southern Charm have been accused of sexually assaulting a number of women. For viewers, the shock with first guy was that his accusers were his own age, but not that he did it. And the second guy, no one was surprised to hear that he had been drugging and raping women. All of these guys have given off a whiff of being horrible human beings for so long that they stunk worse than a sewage treatment plant on fire.

Edited by HunterHunted
  • Like 4

10 hours ago, SrOfficial said:

I'm getting a picture of someone down on his/her knees holding a pen & paper.

Of course, she would defend him - he's her husband & perhaps she does not know this side of him.  Her talent or lack thereof is subjective.  There are many untalented people on TV who have no spouse in high places.

I'm sure that she knows. I have personal experience with someone knowing, still defending the husband, calling him the greatest human being, and me "trash".

3 hours ago, SrOfficial said:

I haven’t seen him reporting on important global issues either.  The gutter seems to be his thang.

I don't see his current articles as being in the gutter. 

3 hours ago, biakbiak said:

He literally just published a book on American Foreign policy.

I also wouldn’t call reporting on widespread systemic harassment in the workplace as “the gutter”.

Agreed. 

• Like 15

I usually have The Talk on during its timeslot; sometimes because I’m interested in someone who’s gonna be on, & sometimes because I wanna see if it’s live or not & see if they talk about a certain topic or not. Today was the (live) premiere show  of their 9th season. Julie wasn’t there; Sharon Osbourne said she was “taking time off to be with family”.

From PeopleJulie Chen Skips ‘The Talk’ Premiere After Husband, Les Moonves, Resigns From CBS 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

All I can see is that he looks like he’s Frank Sinatra’s son. *I’ll show myself out* 

I have to follow you. He looks just like a cross between Farrow and Sinatra. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Anela said:

I'm sure that she knows. I have personal experience with someone knowing, still defending the husband,

I have personal experience with someone absolutely not knowing.  People don't share this info, necessarily, with the spouse.

1 hour ago, HunterHunted said:

I'm an internet nobody and I knew about the open secrets of Harvey Weinstein, Matt Lauer, and Kevin Spacey being abusive, harassing, and also clearly unprofessional, which goes without saying, assholes.

I do a lot of surfing, but the only one I had heard rumors about was Kevin Spacey.  I guess if one is interested in the people, one might have a clue.  Not everyone hangs on every word of gossip.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, SrOfficial said:

I have personal experience with someone absolutely not knowing.  People don't share this info, necessarily, with the spouse.

I do a lot of surfing, but the only one I had heard rumors about was Kevin Spacey.  I guess if one is interested in the people, one might have a clue.  Not everyone hangs on every word of gossip.

Everyone I've known, who had a spouse like this, knew. Only they weren't famous, it wasn't as widespread, and they stood up for the spouse. 

I knew about Weinstein and Spacey. The guy who made the X-men movies, too. Matt Lauer, I wasn't aware of, only that people really didn't like him, and blamed him for the loss of Ann Curry. I'm not into gossip, it was just the sort of thing that was out there. I remember Ashley Judd talking about Weinstein, years ago. 

• Like 1

Honestly,  the only one I heard rumors about was Weinstein and even then is was mostly about him being a temperamental bully and blowhard. The first person I remember accusing him was Ashley Judd. Rose Mcgowan made accusations without naming him.  I heard people call Lauer a jerk, but nothing like sexual harassment. With Spacey, all I heard were gay rumors. Nothing nonconsensual.

Edited by Picture It. Sicily
  • Like 16

7 minutes ago, janie jones said:

I think the point is not that rumors weren't out there, but that not everyone and their dog had heard the rumors.

Right but it evolved from people discussing whether the spouses knew. If the rumors are enough to be appearing in the media they are people in their circles who are gossiping about it so spouses being in the dark is not believable to many of us.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

Right but it evolved from people discussing whether the spouses knew. If the rumors are enough to be appearing in the media they are people in their circles who are gossiping about it so spouses being in the dark is not believable to many of us.

And the counter argument to that is so often gossip takes place behind people's backs so it's very possible a spouse isn't told. I've had husbands/wives get mad to find out they were the last to know about their cheating spouse.  

As for Julie Chen, all of the reports that haven come out so far happened before she married her husband.  So again, why would she know?

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

And the counter argument to that is so often gossip takes place behind people's backs so it's very possible a spouse isn't told. I've had husbands/wives get mad to find out they were the last to know about their cheating spouse.  

My point was that it had reached the media which is when the whispers in your circle are hard to ignore. Yes, you might not hear every story about every celebrity but if it’s your spouse and the rumors are in the media someone is telling you and most likely you stumble across it yourself and retain it because it’s about your spouse. Believing your spouse of they denied it is one thing but if it’s in the media I don’t find it plausible it’s off your radar because it’s not just your circle.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Like 3

39 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

Before last October, such rumors only appeared at gossip and tabloid sites and the online hangouts frequented by the readers of those sites. Mainstream news outlets and serious journalists don't report on celebrity gossip. One thing I have heard celebrities say for years during interviews is that they do not read the tabloids and gossip sites. Why would they? Nobody needs to read negative stuff about themselves that may or may not be a bunch of lies. Most other people also don't read those sites for similar reasons or just due to lack of interest in celebrity gossip. The subject just never comes up in my social circle and that is probably not unusual. The people who closely follow celebrity gossip, regularly read the gossip and tabloid sites and discuss it all in detail represent a small, insular subculture. So, yeah, I find it totally believable that a spouse might have no idea what her partner was up to and be blindsided by press reports. Some people can successfully lead a double life and hide things from their families for years.

• Like 15

1 minute ago, orza said:

One thing I have heard celebrities say for years during interviews is that they do not read the tabloids and gossip sites. Why would they?

And most of them out themselves as lying by having an answer for all the rumors and shit out there about them. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

My point was that it had reached the media which is when the whispers in your circle are hard to ignore. Yes, you might not hear every story about every celebrity but if it’s your spouse and the rumors are in the media someone is telling you and most likely you stumble across it yourself and retain it because it’s about your spouse. Believing your spouse of they denied it is one thing but if it’s in the media I don’t find it plausible it’s off your radar because it’s not just your circle.

While technically media, gawker, defamer and celebitchy are very specific sites.  Sometimes their stories crossed over into more reputable and mainstream publications but far more often they did not. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

There is NOTHING seedy or gutter about bringing such abuses to light. Weinstein and perpetrators/predators like him are the seedy ones.

Can you imagine working in a boring investment office and having to put up with your sleazy 50-something boss pretending to look for a pen in your office desk while copping a feel while you sat there in your 20-something helplessness.

Here's the kicker:  going home and complaining to MY MOM and having her shrug it off, saying "that's how men are".

Those were the 70s.

• Like 23

5 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

While technically media, gawker, defamer and celebitchy are very specific sites.  Sometimes their stories crossed over into more reputable and mainstream publications but far more often they did not. 

But those are places that at the very least Georgina or Julie’s teams would be reading. They have their own careers and those sites were also covering them. So it’s coming at you from so many places your social circle, your work circle, and random strangers who know who they are married to. 

Edited by biakbiak
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, biakbiak said:

And most of them out themselves as lying by having an answer for all the rumors and shit out there about them. 

Celebrities might get the information filtered through their publicist along with a couple of talking points to repeat in an interview or, more likely, it is the publicist responding. It is their job to read that crap and respond so their clients don't have to.

Sometimes I get the impression that people think Hollywood is like high school where everyone congregates in one place every day, knows everyone else at least on a superficial level and just spend their time gossiping about who's doing what with whom. That couldn't be further from then truth.

• Like 17

19 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

As for Julie Chen, all of the reports that haven come out so far happened before she married her husband.  So again, why would she know?

Wasn't he still married to someone else when she started dating him?  That would seemingly be an indicator.

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Picture It. Sicily said:

Honestly,  the only one I heard rumors about was Weinstein and even then is was mostly about him being a temperamental bully and blowhard. The first person I remember accusing him was Ashley Judd. Rose Mcgowan made accusations without naming him.  I heard people call Lauer a jerk, but nothing like sexual harassment. With Spacey, all I heard were gay rumors. Nothing nonconsensual.

I didn't pay attention to gossip sites, and I have no idea who or what most people are talking about. I used to pay more attention to celebrity interviews or articles, when I was younger, but still not gossip. I remember rumours about Spacey, in England, but not with teenage boys. 

56 minutes ago, janie jones said:

I think the point is not that rumors weren't out there, but that not everyone and their dog had heard the rumors.

I usually heard these things through boards like this, where people talked about the movies or TV shows, and talked about the stars. I remember one site posting the "blind items" but I don't remember who they were. It was a long time ago.

13 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

I don't know. Why would she say that Janet Jackson hadn't apologized, when she had? It sounded like she was doing her husband's dirty work for him, rather than doing the right thing. 

7 minutes ago, orza said:

Before last October, such rumors only appeared at gossip and tabloid sites and the online hangouts frequented by the readers of those sites. Mainstream news outlets and serious journalists don't report on celebrity gossip. One thing I have heard celebrities say for years during interviews is that they do not read the tabloids and gossip sites. Why would they? Nobody needs to read negative stuff about themselves that may or may not be a bunch of lies. Most other people also don't read those sites for similar reasons or just due to lack of interest in celebrity gossip. The subject just never comes up in my social circle and that is probably not unusual. The people who closely follow celebrity gossip, regularly read the gossip and tabloid sites and discuss it all in detail represent a small, insular subculture. So, yeah, I find it totally believable that a spouse might have no idea what her partner was up to and be blindsided by press reports. Some people can successfully lead a double life and hide things from their families for years.

i heard them over the internet, not on gossip sites. I started to pay attention to them last October, wondering how many of them were true, and how many were planted stories, stupidly surprised that the sites didn't even seem to be questioning whether or not anything they'd posted had been true. I can't read them, because it depresses me: everyone is gross, nobody is happy, marriages are fake, etc, etc. It isn't interesting to me, but then a lot of celebrities aren't, either. 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

But those are places that at the very least Georgina or Julia’s teams would be reading. 

Were there rumors/articles about Les?  I hadn't heard his name mentioned until the articles came out.  Matt Lauer's rumors have always been about affairs. 

Georgina's teams might have read those sites.  I don't know.  But I could see them avoiding telling her stuff like that about her husband.

4 minutes ago, SVNBob said:

Wasn't he still married to someone else when she started dating him?  That would seemingly be an indicator.

An indicator of what?  A willingness to have an affair?  Affairs between colleagues happen, even when there's a power differential.  And they aren't always seen by the person with less power as harassment.  From her point of view, she engaged in an affair that worked out pretty well for her in that they got married and had a child. 

16 minutes ago, Anela said:

I don't know. Why would she say that Janet Jackson hadn't apologized, when she had? It sounded like she was doing her husband's dirty work for him, rather than doing the right thing.

Because she's dumb?  All this says to me is that she believed her husband's version of events.

• Like 12

Just now, Irlandesa said:

Were there rumors/articles about Les?  I hadn't heard his name mentioned until the articles came out.  Matt Lauer's rumors have always been about affairs. 

Georgina's teams might have read those sites.  I don't know.  But I could see them avoiding telling her stuff like that about her husband.

An indicator of what?  A willingness to have an affair?  Affairs between colleagues happen, even when there's a power differential.  And they aren't always seen by the person with less power as harassment.  From her point of view, she engaged in an affair that worked out pretty well for her in that they got married and had a child. 

Because she's dumb?  All this says to me is that she believed her husband's version of events.

But it seems like something she should have known, given her job. I don't know if she's dumb or not.  A lot of people don't seem to like her. I don't really know who she is. I only recognize her as the host of a show that I don't like. You would also think that she would know about lawsuits against him. Ileana Douglas told someone what happened, I thought. There had to have been rumours around CBS. They may not all be hooked into 24/7 gossip on their phones, but I don't believe that everyone is saintly, either. A lot of people admitted that they'd heard rumours about Weinstein, from what I recall.

I've seen Moonves' name thrown around on the internet for years, but didn't know anything more than that he headed CBS. It's like that other guy who I finally googled, and realized that he was in a show I liked as a kid. He apparently molested girls. When all of this started to come out, I knew the comments that would come next: "Now it's time for Brian Singer, and Les Moonves" and the other guy that I mentioned. People here know a lot more about Hollywood than I do, the different companies, the news. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, spiderpig said:

Can you imagine working in a boring investment office and having to put up with your sleazy 50-something boss pretending to look for a pen in your office desk while copping a feel while you sat there in your 20-something helplessness.

Here's the kicker:  going home and complaining to MY MOM and having her shrug it off, saying "that's how men are".

Those were the 70s.

Can you imagine interviewing for an associate position at a medium sized law firm with more than 50 attorneys and when asked what your hobbies were, you told them about this cool comparative dance class that you had taken with friends that teaches you the basics of a bunch of different styles, at which point the junior partner leading the interview team, tells you to take off your blazer and show him some belly dance moves (there were clearly others mentioned) and continues to berate you to dance for him, while the only other woman in the room keeps micro-shaking her head "no" while she furiously types into her BlackBerry to have the partner's admin get him out of there. That was me. Also on my 20s in 2005. At a muthafuckin' law firm.

They should know better, but douchebags gotta douche. You can change the setting, the business, and even the decade or century, but those dudes would still be assholes. They're the dudes debating whether or not to rape their slaves first thing in the morning (to get it out of the way) or in the evening as a stress reliever after a long day of being a master of the universe.

I bite my thumb at you sir.

What do I call you in ancient Rome? Primus Ductio Bagius.

2 hours ago, biakbiak said:

But those are places that at the very least Georgina or Julie’s teams would be reading. They have their own careers and those sites were also covering them. 

I'll absolutely agree with you about people in the know or who should have known reading posts on Gawker and the like. I used to read and comment there all the time. You could always tell when someone's people had been reading those sites because they'd often have strange tangents in interviews that were direct refutations of things posted there that were unknown to larger audiences. Occassionally the celebrities would comment there. You'd also see a ton of mainstream journalists just pick up and run with arguments that Gawker made and getting actual confirmation of those issues.

Gawker was not perfect. They made up a ton of shit and sensationalized bullshit that definitely was not news in order to fuck with people (I talked about how Brian Moylan took away my star when I bitched about one of the endless Julia Allison pieces; who I still maintain wasn't enough of a going concern that she'd make the front page in an above the fold story in the Julia Allison Gazette). But I think only the truly foolish weren't paying attention to Gawker just in case.

There was a reason Peter Thiel was willing to spend millions upon millions just to sue Gawker out of existence. And all they ever wrote about him is that he's gay, which is true and fairly well known.

Edited by HunterHunted
  • Like 11

6 minutes ago, Anela said:

You would also think that she would know about lawsuits against him. Ileana Douglas told someone what happened, I thought. There had to have been rumours around CBS.

I don't think there were any lawsuits against him for sexual harassment.  Ileana Douglas told a few people but I think the recent article was the first time she went on record.  He tried to hurt her career with CBS after she rejected him but since she had signed a contract with them, they ended up giving her work to pay it out.  And all of this was about a decade before he met Chen.  CBS is a big organization.

• Like 6

I'm just going to say that I'm not going to argue about Julie Chen anymore. I think she'd heard rumours, at least, and that he came out with the usual, "Oh, they wanted it, just like you honey" or "they're delusional/want money/are lying for attention". 

• Like 10

21 minutes ago, Anela said:

It's like that other guy who I finally googled, and realized that he was in a show I liked as a kid. He apparently molested girls. When all of this started to come out, I knew the comments that would come next: "Now it's time for Brian Singer, and Les Moonves" and the other guy that I mentioned. People here know a lot more about Hollywood than I do, the different companies, the news. 

Dan Schneider, who was on Head of the Class and built an empire on Nickelodeon.

Edited by HunterHunted
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, HunterHunted said:

Dan Schneider, who was on Head of the Class and built an empire on Nickelodeon.

Yes, thank you. I don't know why I keep forgetting his name.