Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Drogo

Hollywood's Dirty Little (Open) Secrets: Harvey Weinstein and Others Like Him

13 hours ago, BetterButter said:

Nice response to her comments from Rape Crisis England & Wales (as quoted in that article, so the statement may be truncated and/or rearranged):

It is a deeply unhelpful myth that rape and other forms of sexual violence are caused or "provoked" by women’s sexuality or "attractiveness".

Rape is an act of sexual violence, power and control that has little to nothing to do with sexual desire. It is as insulting to men as it is to anyone to suggest they’re unable to take responsibility for their own behaviours and that the way a woman presents herself can cause them to lose control or force them to sexually harass or assault her.

There is no excuse or mitigation for sexual violence and there is no circumstance in which it’s even partially the victim’s or survivor’s fault. Until we accept and acknowledge that, it will be very difficult for us as a society to reduce or prevent rape, sexual assault, sexual harassment or sexual abuse.

• Like 19

I finally found an allegation I don't believe :  Hope Solo

The article pretty much explains why. 

https://sports.yahoo.com/sepp-blatter-hope-solo-sexual-assault-allegations-ridiculous-look-ladys-cv-184733082.html

MAYBE it happened, I won't completely dismiss it, she just has zero credibility in my mind.  I read in detail about the domestic assault case she was accused of at the time it happened and she seems like a psychopathic liar, 

I would be more likely to believe she was the one doing to harassing. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, JBC344 said:

Famous women have been asked about their experiences while on camera. 

Yes they are.  And even men are getting asked about it interviews now that we've hit awards season. 

• Like 6

Matt Lauer fired for inappropriate sexual behavior.  Just announced by Savannah Guthrie on Today Show.  No details except it was apparently first complaint in 20 years but with convincing evidence that it wasn’t the first time.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Like 8

For how swiftly they fired him, and the cryptic nature of the network’s statement as to how they have reason to believe it wasn’t an isolated incident, despite it being the first complaint ever brought against him...definitely sounds like there is something significant there. 

• Like 23

2 minutes ago, MsNewsradio said:

For how swiftly they fired him, and the cryptic nature of the network’s statement as to how they have reason to believe it wasn’t an isolated incident, despite it being the first complaint ever brought against him...definitely sounds like there is something significant there. 

It must be something pretty appalling.  No suspension, no prelude, just fired outright.   She must’ve shown them some very convincing proof for it to happen so swiftly.  I’m sure details will trickle out

• Like 14

I'm not a Today Show fan, but I'm shocked & astounded by this news.  And apparently there's convincing & detailed evidence, 

Edited by roamyn
  • Like 10

9 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

It must be something pretty appalling.  No suspension, no prelude, just fired outright.   She must’ve shown them some very convincing proof for it to happen so swiftly.  I’m sure details will trickle out

Agreed. Considering who he is and that he could respond in a manner that could be detrimental to the network if there was a rush to judgement without proof, the evidence must've been pretty daming.  

I am stunned by this news. Is anyone in Hollywood a standup guy? Geez. SMH.

Edited by Enero
  • Like 5

Here is the news item posted online by NBC News about Matt Lauer's sudden dismissal. There's an embedded video with the story which shows Matt's Today Co-Host, Savannah Guthrie, reading the announcement on air, with Hoda Kotb, normally Kathie Lee Gifford's sidekick in Today's fourth hour (airing live in most markets at 10AM Eastern), sitting next to her (though Hoda has apparently added all or part of the original 7-9AM Eastern show to her duties fairly recently; she's always on sometime between 7-9AM now, in addition to her normal 10AM Eastern time slot. I didn't know that until recently because I usually watch GMA; I heard about it there, was totally surprised, & switched to Today. At the beginning of the show, the mood was rather like he (or someone else they were close to) had died. It seems, to me, to be getting better as the show continues though.

• Like 1

The shock never seems to stop. Sexual harassment has infected all professions, including morning TV. First Charlie Rose, now Matt Lauer. Somewhere, Ann Curry is laughing.

Is anyone in Hollywood a standup guy? 

Terry Crews, Steven Spielberg, Dwayne Johnson, Michael J. Fox & Tom Hanks, to name a few-I hope not literally.

• Like 23

The statement from the chairman at NBC says the 'colleague' just came forward on Monday night; so justice was incredibly swift in this case.

1 minute ago, MargeGunderson said:

I seem to remember reading gossip about Lauer being a jerk and having affairs but nothing specifically about sexual harassment.  He was such an ass to Ann Curry. 

Yes, I presume Ann is going to come forward and speak about what happened to her.  She was not really cut out to be a morning anchor, but Lauer was apparently less than supportive and more than willing to throw her under the bus professionally.

I recall some years ago, Lauer's wife filed for divorce and the rumor was that he was notoriously unfaithful to her.  They eventually reconciled (as I recall, their third child was born shortly thereafter which might've been a factor).  I wonder what her response will be to this.

• Like 13

I think it was upthread a little that I posted about a couple of female correspondents on CNN who were discussing the Charlie Rose firing and they said that they knew of MORE BIG names who were going down, but, they couldn't say just yet. They said we would be very surprised.   I guess this is one of those AND there should be more.  It's really so unnerving.  I will say that with Matt, although, I have always liked him, I have read stories of his activities with women for years. Basically, that he was a scoundrel.   I sort of thought it was tabloid gossip, but, maybe not. It sounds like this main allegation is for something in the workplace though.

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Like 5

1 minute ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I think it was upthread a little that I posted about a couple of female correspondents on CNN who were discussing the Charlie Rose firing and they said that they knew of MORE BIG names who were going down, but, they couldn't say just yet. They said we would be very surprised.   I guess this is one of those AND there should be more.  It's really so unnerving.  I will say that with Matt, although, I have always liked him, I have read stories of his activities with women for years. Basically, that he was a scoundrel.   I sort of thought it was tabloid gossip, but, maybe not. It sounds like this main allegation is for somethibg in the workplace. 

The announcement specifically mentioned inappropriate behavior involving a colleague, so its a sure bet this is a workplace issue.  I don't think he'd have been fired for bad behavior (other than something criminal) if it took place outside of the work environment.  Otherwise, there's a lot of cheaters out there who'd be unemployed.

• Like 15

I had completely forgotten about this, but back in the 1990s, I was a cater waiter. We were working an event at, I'm pretty sure, Parsons School of Design. Matt Lauer was coming up the stairs and said, "Hel-lo!" I blushed. I remember thinking, "Well, Matt Lauer certainly enjoys looking at women."

Edited by hoodooznoodooz
  • Like 5

Matt had his makeup on and was fired moments before going on the air.  This timing is very curious. 

I do wonder if Ann Curry is involved.  I never liked her so I was happy to see her go but wondered why.  It was more than just being a lousy new reader. 

I have watched Today my entire life, damn, I will miss him. 

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, junemeatcleaver said:

I liked this take I saw on Twitter:

Yeah, that--shutting down Ronan Farrow's story--more than kinda came back to bite NBC in the ass, didn't it?

• Like 23

Several reporters on Twitter are confirming that both Variety and the NY Times have been working on Matt Lauer stories over the past month.

• Like 7

I was gobsmacked when I saw that Matt Lauer had been dismissed. I was watching him last week however, and saw him put his hand on someone's derrière. Just for a moment and ever so slightly but I can recall thinking that it was inappropriate especially in the current Weinstein climate. 

• Like 7

He always kind of struck me as a pompous ass, soooo....

Not that that automatically means abuse, of course, but....anyway.

Meanwhile:

• Like 15

I remember when they hired him years ago, someone who seemed to be a media insider online said that they were surprised that NBC hired Lauer permanently because he was known groper and/or womanizer. Of course, there were all those rumors about his cheating. But still, wow! I cannot wait to read what he did.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Like 10

On 11/27/2017 at 1:45 PM, vibeology said:

Casey Affleck got away with something that wouldn't fly anymore when he groped and harassed his employees while making a film a few years back. For some reason that I cannot understand, he decided he step back into the spotlight rather than letting comments by Armie Hammer go.

The Oscars Have a Casey Afflect Problem (Again)

A few weeks ago, I finally got around to reading what Casey Affleck did. He is a nasty sexual predator and a bully. When the women refused to have sex with him, he actually got the crew to join in bullying and sexually harassing them. One of the reasons he was forced into legal settlements because like Bill O'Reilly and Ailes, he actually sent these women disgusting texts. The Academy should be ashamed to have given him that award. 

On 11/28/2017 at 6:22 AM, Llywela said:

Relevant news from across the Pond - one of our most popular soap operas, Coronation Street, recently terminated the contract of one of their most popular actors after he was accused of sexual assault. Today he pleaded guilty in court.

When Todd came out on Coronation Street years ago, it was a groundbreaking story. I still occasionally watch Corrie. Bruno is a talented actor and had been one of the highlights since his return to the role of Todd. However, he is a sexual predator who got exactly what was coming to him.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Like 8

As bad as these stories of sexual harassment are, I just hope we as a society haven't devolved into a man-bashing frenzy, especially due to the relatively small number of men being accused in relation to the larger male population involved in entertainment, politics, business, etc..  Personally, the only time I was sexually harassed was an incident involving a white, female boss, and since there was no one else in the office when she did what she did, I figured they'd believe her denial.   So I just quit the damn job.  So, my point is, its not just men who are the harassers.  I know men who said that female coworkers and female bosses got a kick out of touching their butts or squeezing their arms because they "like muscles."  The men just tried to creep away from the women but they never reported them.   

Edited by Ohwell
  • Like 12

It has come out that the incident that got Matt Lauer fired (allegedly) happened at the Sochi Olympics. 

NBC also fired their Senior Vice President of booking Matt Zimmerman and Mark Halperin who was their senior political  analyst. Seems as though they are doing some major housecleaning. 

Edited by Mindthinkr · Reason: Had mistakenly written Matt instead of Mark.
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, topanga said:

What sickens me almost as much as the sexual harassment and abuse are the reports of ‘we always knew...’ So none of these abusers could have been reported or stopped during this time?

It is human nature to move away from conflict.  This doesn't surprise me and I don't blame those who knew and didn't speak up.  The climate did not support tattle tales/betrayers and that is how it was seen.  Weinstein has changed all that so now, moving forward, sexual harassment will not be tolerated nor will exposing it damage the one who speaks up.   This is the good that has come out of this.   

I expect to see many more exposed.  

I wonder who the colleague is that spoke against Lauer.  Tamron Hall?  She recently left.  Or is it someone behind the scenes.  The word colleague implies an equal.  I am annoyed we have not been told yet.   

• Like 10

4 hours ago, doodlebug said:

The announcement specifically mentioned inappropriate behavior involving a colleague, so its a sure bet this is a workplace issue.  I don't think he'd have been fired for bad behavior (other than something criminal) if it took place outside of the work environment.  Otherwise, there's a lot of cheaters out there who'd be unemployed.

What I had always heard is that he had a ton of affairs with subordinates including the rumored one with Natalie Morales. That really is a workplace issue because you're never sure if it was quid pro quo sexual harassment. If these women felt they had to become sexually involved with him to keep their jobs or get good assignments, that's not ok.

1 hour ago, possibilities said:

I'd like to see all harassers dealt with, regardless of gender. I think the stats are that far more men harass, but that doesn't excuse women who do so also.

It's not ok when men do it or when women do it.

23 minutes ago, BetterButter said:

His statement included the following:

saying he was terminated over “a story that I think is more interesting and more complicated than the version MPR heard.” However, he did not elaborate.

That's not a refutation. It only makes you think that his behavior was far sketchier than what the official reason might be.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mindthinkr said:

It has come out that the incident that got Matt Lauer fired (allegedly) happened at the Sochi Olympics. 

NBC also fired their Senior Vice President of booking Matt Zimmerman and Matt Halperin who was their senior political  analyst. Seems as though they are doing some major housecleaning. 

I followed a link on one of the forums to an article about Lena Dunham (the gist being that the author was completely over her) and an article in the sidebar said he had been accused of sexually assaulting someone working with him during the Rio Olympics. I wonder if this is confusion post-announcement or if these are separate incidents. I don't know where I saw that initial link or I'd pull up the article.

• Like 1

There must have been a Pig-Pen like stink floating around Lauer if other news outlets were also investigating. Be interesting to see if NBC/Today Show decides to do further stories on the specifics. Did CBS continue reporting on Charlie Rose?

There seems to be about a two-week cycle of public shock and disgust until the next big name harasser comes along and forces others off the front page. I don't know what this says about me or my sense of fairness, but I hope Lauer doesn't speak out. I'm fed up with the apologies and excuses. Lauer should have plenty of his one-percenter money to go away quietly and never work again.

Edited by 2727
  • Like 10

40 minutes ago, wings707 said:

It is human nature to move away from conflict.  This doesn't surprise me and I don't blame those who knew and didn't speak up.  The climate did not support tattle tales/betrayers and that is how it was seen.  Weinstein has changed all that so now, moving forward, sexual harassment will not be tolerated nor will exposing it damage the one who speaks up.   This is the good that has come out of this.   

I expect to see many more exposed.  

I wonder who the colleague is that spoke against Lauer.  Tamron Hall?  She recently left.  Or is it someone behind the scenes.  The word colleague implies an equal.  I am annoyed we have not been told yet.  

Whomever they were, they were likely part of the team covering the Sochi, Russia Winter Olympics, which were most of the month of February, 2014. A post close upthread says that whatever happened, whomever else it involved, the incident (allegedly) happened between Matt & a female colleague during that event.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, MargeGunderson said:

I seem to remember reading gossip about Lauer being a jerk and having affairs but nothing specifically about sexual harassment.  He was such an ass to Ann Curry. 

I remember hearing gossip about Lauer too.  This really didn't surprise me.  

• Like 11

I was just thinking the other day after the news about Charlie Rose came out that I was surprised that Matt Lauer had made it through all of this without something coming out about him. I've been in bed most of the day due to not feeling well so I just read the news about Matt in an email alert. Can't say I'm surprised considering the rumors that have floated around about him for years.

• Like 10

To answer the vague memories of Lauer cheating and his wife filing for divorce years ago..

https://pagesix.com/2017/11/29/matt-lauer-allegedly-sexually-assaulted-female-staffer-during-olympics/

His wife, Annette, famously filed for divorce in 2006, accusing him of “cruel and inhumane” behavior, but withdrew the filing a month later after they reached a private agreement.

They ostensibly live separate lives — she lives full time in the Hamptons with their children, while Matt resides in the city during the week.

2 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

NBC also fired their Senior Vice President of booking Matt Zimmerman and Matt Halperin who was their senior political  analyst.

It's Mark Halperin, not Matt.

• Like 1

Is there anyone in Hollywood who hasn't sexually abused or harassed people? This is insane. I really wonder exactly what Matt Lauer did, if it happened in 2014, then his accuser must have some solid proof, like video. The whole thing just astounds me. 

• Like 1

And Jamie Gangel (or as I now call her, "Discount Bin Judith Light") was on CNN just now in the role of female Matt Lauer apologist (they used to work together at NBC News). Not here for it, ma'am. 

Edited by UYI
  • Like 2