Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Drogo

Hollywood's Dirty Little (Open) Secrets: Harvey Weinstein and Others Like Him

Cas Anvar, who was accused of numerous accounts of sexual harassment and creeping on female fans at cons, has been removed from the sixth and final season of The Expanse. The fifth season was already in the can so he will still be on that. The productions company conducted an investigation but hasn't released any information. However, the fact he was dropped would lead to the conclusion they did find credible evidence. Smoke, fire and all that.

• Like 4
  • Useful 1

Yes, and TLC quickly put out the statement that the producer worked for the production company, and was a contractor, not their employee.  The shows are done by the production company, and sold to the network,, so the production company is the employer, but not the network.     However, the person named by Jacob worked on over 100 episodes.  

Weinstein's Maxwell associate, wants out of jail on a bail of almost $30 million, and her husband claims she's a wonderful person.    Personally, I think it would be nice if her stay in jail included occupying the deluxe Epstein suite, complete with mysterious camera failures, and inattentive guards. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 3
  • Useful 6

2 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

Not sure if this belongs in this thread but...

Gal Gadot: “My experience working with Joss Whedon wasn’t the best one”

You guys all remember the shitty Wonder Woman movie script Whedon penned right?

Evil Smile GIF by memecandy

So does this mean that, in spite of whatever wrist slaps Mr. Whedon may have had happen re Miss Gadot, he STILL didn't learn his lesson and evidently was a creep to others? 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Blergh said:

So does this mean that, in spite of whatever wrist slaps Mr. Whedon may have had happen re Miss Gadot, he STILL didn't learn his lesson and evidently was a creep to others? 

This is the last surprising element of anything ever.

How many of these stories we have heard include that the perpetrator got sued, got reported, made a settlement, got a wrist slap and went on to do the same thing over and over again.  The wrist slap actually encourages the behavior. They know are not going to suffer any real consequences unless or until they come up against someone more powerful who can force the issue or they do something so egregiously bad the studio can't ignore it. 

I don't know what it says that the arguably more powerful Gal Gadot only got him a wrist slap, but the little nobody Ray Fisher is forcing the issue to get him some real consequences. 

• Like 13
  • Useful 3

Because despite the me too movement, racism is taken more seriously than the complaints of women.  These should be equal, but there you go.

Edited by ouinason
  • Like 4
  • Sad 2

9 hours ago, Blergh said:

There is speculation that Whedon lost his job as the show runners for the show he was developing for HBO as a result of this investigation. I imagine that if this show is a success that is a potential of millions of dollars lost. If that is true I am not sure I would call that a slap on the wrist.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1

2 hours ago, Kel Varnsen said:

There is speculation that Whedon lost his job as the show runners for the show he was developing for HBO as a result of this investigation. I imagine that if this show is a success that is a potential of millions of dollars lost. If that is true I am not sure I would call that a slap on the wrist.

Compared to what he evidently put his victims through, I'd say it was! Since he knew he had so much riding on this show, he has only himself to blame  for the consequences if he decided not to act professional and courteous to all the performers no matter how he may have been attracted to some of them. 

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Blergh said:

These instances would have happened at nearly the same time and Gal was a bigger name about to star in one of DC’s biggest franchises. They had to keep her happy. Ray Fisher was a unknown playing a role only comic book fans cared about. Wonder Woman mattered to the studio. Cyborg only mattered to Snyder who was already out at that point. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Blergh said:

Compared to what he evidently put his victims through, I'd say it was! Since he knew he had so much riding on this show, he has only himself to blame  for the consequences if he decided not to act professional and courteous to all the performers no matter how he may have been attracted to some of them. 

But if Warner was just a company and assuming he acted inappropriately but didn't commit any crimes what else could they do? There is no Warner Jail and they can't lock him in the water tower. If I behaved inappropriately to my co-workers the only thing my company could really do was fire me.

4 hours ago, Kel Varnsen said:

There is no Warner Jail and they can't lock him in the water tower.

Considering Yakko, Wakko, and Dot are already in there, I don't know if that would be endangerment and enabling, or cruel and unusual punishment.

• Laugh 15

Whatever Whedon did to her, you’ve got to admire the classiness of her response. She flat out called it unpleasant but didn’t want to go into detail about it (yet).

• Like 8

Joss Whedon appears to pay a lot of lip service to being a “woke liberal” (whatever that actually means these days) and has done so for years so it’s not surprising that any charges against him are having a hard time gaining any real public traction.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, katie9918 said:

Joss Whedon appears to pay a lot of lip service to being a “woke liberal” (whatever that actually means these days) and has done so for years so it’s not surprising that any charges against him are having a hard time gaining any real public traction.

Joss Whedon is a powerful white man in Hollywood who has engaged in behavior that is abhorrent but not technically criminal (that we know of).  That's why there hasn't been much public traction.  His political leanings have absolutely nothing to do with it.

• Like 24

Not necessarily political leanings, but he certainly had traded on and leveraged the idea that he is a woke feminist.  So much so that honestly his fandom used that as some magical get out of jail free card whenever anyone did challenge any negative portrayals of women in his work or point out problematic content.  He has coasted on the goodwill that Buffy brought for a long, long time.  And as long as he had vocal fans to carry his water for him, of course he wasn't going to be held to any standards.  He could bring along a built in, demographic rich audience that studios salivate for.  It really wasn't til his wife wrote the essay that pretty much pointed out was a gas-lighter he was that some of his sheen started to tarnish in that area.  Nothing illegal, sure, but still unethical at the very least.

• Like 22
  • Sad 2

Not that I think there's anything wrong with treating yourself to a day of baths, saunas, and massages, but isn't that the sort of sensuality and hedonism these fundie bible-thumpers are always condemning from their pulpits?

Edited by Bruinsfan
  • Like 9

Court Rules Danny Masterson, Scientology Accusers Must Use Church Judges

According to a new court order obtained by TMZ ... Chrissie Carnell Bixler -- along with her husband, Mars Volta singer Cedric Bixler-Zavala -- and another rape accuser entered into a written agreement when they were still members of the church, which says "any dispute, claim or controversy" that arises between them must be resolved by the church ... instead of by the courts.

The L.A. Superior Court ruled on Wednesday that this agreement is binding, and requires them to "use Scientology internal Ethics, Justice, and binding religious arbitration procedures" for such disputes.

Well, I guess he's innocent. 

• Surprise 2
  • Sad 16

1 hour ago, GaT said:

This is so, so messed up, these poor women.

And when did the influence/power of a religion (or cult) supersede the American judicial system and the rights of the accusers? - Maybe 40 years ago, but in this day and age this is disturbing, disgusting and inexcusable.

Edited by Stats Queen
  • Like 8
  • Sad 14

6 hours ago, Stats Queen said:

This is so, so messed up, these poor women.

And when did the influence/power of a religion (or cult) supersede the American judicial system and the rights of the accusers? - Maybe 40 years ago, but in this day and age this is disturbing, disgusting and inexcusable.

Yeah, look how well closed Church courts  that answered to no nations' authorities meted justice on behalf of victims in the Catholic church down the centuries [majorly disgusted eyeroll].

Seriously, WHAT are these folks at the L A Supreme Court thinking re Scientology and its accusers? I guess they simply decided to drop that hot potato rather than attempt to do their jobs and hear all sides.

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Blergh
  • Like 6
  • Sad 8

This isn't related to the criminal charges, but the civil lawsuits about the stalking. The criminal case is going forward.

But the civil lawsuits, when you join an organization and sign an agreement agreeing to things like binding arbitration, use of church courts for future lawsuits, you're stuck with that contract...or at least that's what this court has ruled. 

Edited by BlackberryJam · Reason: Typo
  • Useful 16
  • Sad 2

11 hours ago, GaT said:

1 hour ago, supposebly said:

Unbelievable.  How can that be legal? 

If it was strictly a "church" matter, that'd be one thing; but he being accused of things that are actual crimes according to the state, right?? That doesn't seem right at all. Or are they passing the buck because there isn't enough proof?

[and I just got my answer above, thanks.]

Edited by Trini
  • Sad 5

I can't believe that cult/Brainwashing business still counts as legit religion in the States.

10 minutes ago, BlackberryJam said:

This isn't related to the criminal charges, but the civil lawsuits about the stalking. The criminal case is going forward.

11 minutes ago, BlackberryJam said:

Thank you.

• Like 6
  • Useful 1

So Armie Hammer... 

I have been putting myself in his shoes. If I am being wrongly accused of violent, cannibal fetish fuelled, rape by my mistress including fake DMs I think that I would scream my innocence loud and frequently and  hire an attorney straight away and sue for defamation .

My question is why hasn’t he. Is it as simple as it’s a lose lose fight so saying as little as possible is the best cause of action? Is it wholly  or partially true?

This article best articulates my opinion of this bizarre affair.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.rollingstone.com/culture/culture-news/armie-hammer-cannibalism-sext-scandal-1115309/amp/

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Pink ranger said:

So Armie Hammer... 

I have been putting myself in his shoes. If I am being wrongly accused of violent, cannibal fetish fuelled, rape by my mistress including fake DMs I think that I would scream my innocence loud and frequently and  hire an attorney straight away and sue for defamation .

My question is why hasn’t he. Is it as simple as it’s a lose lose fight so saying as little as possible is the best cause of action? Is it wholly  or partially true?

This article best articulates my opinion of this bizarre affair.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.rollingstone.com/culture/culture-news/armie-hammer-cannibalism-sext-scandal-1115309/amp/

In the highly unlikely scenario that it’s not true fighting it in court is a lose-lose situation. By the time there was any resolution people will have already moved onto something else. 

The court system is brutal on victims so you can’t judge a person’s story based on their unwillingness to subject themselves to that kind of trauma. 

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Bruinsfan said:

Is it that brutal on rich, famous, straight white male victims though?

How many rich, famous, straight white male victims come forward? There is absolutely a stigma over male victims that causes most to stay silent. I wasn’t talking specifically about Hammer with that statement but generally about the notion that someone innocent would want justice. It’s a very prevalent thought that ignores the myriad of reasons victims choose to not use the legal system. 

Specifically to Hammer’s situation the court system isn’t effective in dealing with these types of cases. 

ETA: To clarify, I am referring to victims of crimes with a sexual component. Rich white male victims of most other crimes undoubtedly have an easier time. 

Edited by Dani
  • Like 5

5 hours ago, Pink ranger said:

So Armie Hammer... 

I think you have to keep your mouth shut when things like this happen. No lawyer would advise their client to defend themselves in the press and he probably doesn't have restrictive NDA's. He's not a Scientologist, @Pink ranger!

I had a look at the instagram account of the woman who is collating all the accusations. If it's all true (and I'm almost certain I believe them) then that man is a fucking menace. No safe words during rape play? No after-care, even though they both agreed that she was crawling away from him and sobbing? If they had been together for 20 years you could maybe have a situation where a safe word wasn't always necessary. But someone you hooked up with on instagram that you've known for 2 months? No. No, no, no, no. Move along, Hammer and hand in your Dom card as you go.

• Like 13

2 minutes ago, Iris987 said:

I had a look at the instagram account of the woman who is collating all the accusations. If it's all true (and I'm almost certain I believe them) then that man is a fucking menace. No safe words during rape play? No after-care, even though they both agreed that she was crawling away from him and sobbing? If they had been together for 20 years you could maybe have a situation where a safe word wasn't always necessary. But someone you hooked up with on instagram that you've known for 2 months? No. No, no, no, no. Move along, Hammer and hand in your Dom card as you go.

Absolutely. I applaud the women who have come forward and may have protected future victims. 

• Like 9

4 hours ago, Iris987 said:

I think you have to keep your mouth shut when things like this happen. No lawyer would advise their client to defend themselves in the press and he probably doesn't have restrictive NDA's. He's not a Scientologist, @Pink ranger!

This past week has taught me more about BDSM  than I want to know. Why on earth would anybody participate in “ rape play” voluntarily? I want to shower just knowing that concept exists.

Edited by Pink ranger
  • Like 6

45 minutes ago, Pink ranger said:

This past week has me more about BDSM  than I want to know. Why on earth would anybody participate in “ rape play” voluntarily? I want to shower just knowing that concept exists.

It doesn't do it for me either. It's a thing, though. Even has its own acronym. But if you're going to do something as potentially traumatising as that then you damn well have a safe word. Did we Iearn nothing from 50 Shades Of Grey? Hammer seems to argue in his texts that not having one makes everything more intense and better. Which is a screaming red flag that this man didn't give a crap about anything but his own pleasure. 

• Like 8
  • Sad 1

Not commenting on anything else but why he wouldn't sue if it wasn't true:   Streisand Effect.    Once you start putting your personal life into court, EVERYTHING comes out.   You can't say "oh no, don't talk about that" or "its private."   By the very nature of the case he would bring, NOTHING is private or off limits.     It's better to keep quiet and wait for the public to discover the next thing to latch onto.

• Like 6
  • Useful 6
  • Sad 2

10 hours ago, Iris987 said:

Hammer seems to argue in his texts that not having one makes everything more intense and better. Which is a screaming red flag that this man didn't give a crap about anything but his own pleasure. 

OMG! Better for HIM maybe, because it means he doesn't have to stop before he's finished. If this is true, this man is terrifying. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 5

Yeah, it's not the kinks, it's the lack of safe words and disregard for partners' consent. I try to remind myself to let people be into whatever they're into, but that only applies when we're talking about CONSENSUAL sex. This one pisses me off because I loved him as Marty Ginsburg in On the Basis of Sex, who I thought was one of the best portrayals on non-toxic masculinity I've ever seen. Why do terrible dudes have to taint so much art by being terrible?

• Like 9
  • Sad 5

10 minutes ago, Silver Raven said:

.He doesn't deny it, but says it was joking and the pics were not of him.

Well. That's an...interesting defense. 

• Like 10
  • Laugh 1

34 minutes ago, Silver Raven said:

New York Mets General Manager Jared Porter sent nude pics to a female reporter.  He doesn't deny it, but says it was joking and the pics were not of him.

Oh, it was just a joke??  Haha, well, that is just so fucking funny!!  Bygones, LOL!

For real, though,

giphy.gif

• Like 9