Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Drogo

Hollywood's Dirty Little (Open) Secrets: Harvey Weinstein and Others Like Him

3 hours ago, DearEvette said:

Wait...wait...wait...    So I am really trying to parse this.

unfounded (adjective): lacking a sound basis , groundless, unwarranted, false

So the DCFS caseworker actually used the word unfounded? And not because it didn't happen or she couldn't find evidence of it happening but because of a  time elapse

I mean, I understand there can be a legal statute of limitations on being able to prosecute certain crimes.  But the way this reads, it really sounds like they are literally telling this poor girl's mother that this accusation is considered a lie because of time, and not because of proof.

Man, that shit is foul.

Is there ANY way for the agency employing that social worker to FIRE that individual?! I mean, no one would say a MURDER  with a known dead body having been discovered was 'unfounded' merely because a witness hadn't come forward for X number of years despite there being no reason to doubt the witness's account.

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 5

It could be that was the only definition the caseworker was allowed to use. Say, if the state/county legally has only the terms 'true', 'false' or 'unfounded' to choose from the policy is to use unfounded in cases where the statute of limitations has passed. Any social workers in the forum?

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Vermicious Knid said:

It could be that was the only definition the caseworker was allowed to use. Say, if the state/county legally has only the terms 'true', 'false' or 'unfounded' to choose from the policy is to use unfounded in cases where the statute of limitations has passed. Any social workers in the forum?

I think this is the case. According to Illinois legal aid “unfounded” is the DCFS term for any accusation that can’t be proven. It’s either “indicated” if there is proof or “unfounded”.

I read it as the social worker saying that she believed it was true but her hand were tied because it couldn’t be proven as a result of the time delay. 

Edited by Dani
  • Like 10
  • Useful 5

1 hour ago, Dani said:

I think this is the case. According to Illinois legal aid “unfounded” is the DCFS term for any accusation that can’t be proven. It’s either “indicated” if there is proof or “unfounded”.

I read it as the social worker saying that she believed it was true but her hand were tied because it couldn’t be proven as a result of the time delay. 

Ok, that is a little better.  But damn, it just sounds so callous. 

• Like 8

9 hours ago, DearEvette said:

Ok, that is a little better.  But damn, it just sounds so callous. 

It does but when dealing with DCFS or CPS, they have limits on what they can do.   Especially in sexual assault cases, if you wait too long, the evidence is gone.   So you have a choice of indicated, ruled out (did not happen) or unsubstantiated, in my jurisdication.    I like unsubstantiated better because that's exactly what it says.    We can't prove it.    Now, the abuser will run around saying nothing was found so it never happened.   Thankfully the courts know better.

• Like 4
  • Useful 10

It's not just the men at Fox News you have to watch out for. Kimberly Guilfoyle actually 'parted ways' with them because she sexual harassed an assistant. The former assistant gave Fox a 42 page draft complaint that alleged, among other things:

that Guilfoyle spoke incessantly and luridly about her sex life, and on one occasion demanded a massage of her bare thighs; other times, she said, Guilfoyle told her to submit to a Fox employee’s demands for sexual favors, encouraged her to sleep with wealthy and powerful men, asked her to critique her naked body, demanded that she share a room with her on business trips, required her to sleep over at her apartment, and exposed herself to her, making her feel deeply uncomfortable.

Then she tried to cover it up by offering hush money and when that didn't work, threatening her. The assistant was given a settlement that's reportedly around four millions dollars or so. Poor woman also worked for and was harassed by Eric Bolling.

• Sad 21

This is such a bizarre story, and yet it feels so on brand with all the other crazy stuff we've heard about that network over the years. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 6

I know we all bag on CBS, but FoxNews needs to do some serious investigating and house cleaning.  That place is a cesspool.

• Like 19

This is a wonky thread about court documents, but it looks like R Kelly might be in the witness intimidation business.

• Surprise 7

One thing that is good about the MeToo Movement: people are putting less blame on a then 19 year old Paris Hilton and more on her skanky 12 years older (31 at the time) asshat boyfriend Rick Salomon for that tape. 

• Like 14
  • Useful 4

6 minutes ago, AimingforYoko said:

Blake Jenner confirms Melissa Benoist's domestic abuse allegations.

He used all the right words, but it's always hard to tell if they're his words, or someone he hired.

We're also discussing this in the Miscellaneous Celebs thread but while they might seem like the right words, it's straight out of an abuser's playbook to do this now, two weeks after the ex who went public about the abuse she suffered gave birth. She's happy.  She's getting good publicity.  This is a way to say to her "remember me."  I'm sure others can explain it better but it's just like that guy who "accidentally" (but not really) posted a pic of a restraining order his ex put out on him. He tweeted it right as she had a movie was coming out.

And he basically "both sides" the situation. And admits to only one physical act (as far as I read).  That's not taking responsibility.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Like 23

40 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

We're also discussing this in the Miscellaneous Celebs thread but while they might seem like the right words, it's straight out of an abuser's playbook to do this now, two weeks after the ex who went public about the abuse she suffered gave birth. She's happy.  She's getting good publicity.  This is a way to say to her "remember me."

Yup, agreed. I'm going to repost what I wrote in the Miscellaneous Celebs thread. 

So I only skimmed his reply earlier but now have read and digested the whole thing. Okay...so where to even start. He essentially frames HIMSELF as the victim of abuse - that HE was the one isolated from friends, HE was the one emotionally and verbally abused, HE was the one who had to pass up jobs due to the jealous and emotionally manipulative nature of his ex. All while insisting that HE'S not passing blame and not not taking ownership of his mistakes. 

Yet there actually isn't any ownership of mistakes when his whole long drivel was essentially, "she actually abused me". And I like the very convenient, "I threw my phone by accident in frustration and it hit her". So "no, totally wasn't aiming at her and it was an honest mistake but don't get me wrong, I'm owning my mistakes and I am living with this awful regret I carry for the accidental thing that happened"

And then there was the not at all subtle suggestive hint that she cheated with her current husband. The whole, discrepancies about timelines and how to get into specifics would reveal things specific to her personal life. In other words, because I'm sure he's hoping Melissa sees this, "I can tell the world how you slept with someone else". Assuming she even did get with her husband while the two were even still together. 

But when they first split, many fans who liked them together did assume she cheated on him with Chris, her current husband and Melissa got dragged hard by some for that. So it's so obvious this is what he was playing into. Again, just wow. Gaslighting doesn't even begin to describe this mess. Hopefully Melissa is shielded from this completely. Also, am I the only one who got chills and a little queasy at his whole comment of it needing to be resolved publicly but also privately between both parties.

Because like why do you need to resolve anything with her directly and personally, especially since you claim she was such an abusive psycho to you. That line alone convinced me this guy is full of shit and a nut and Melissa needs to be nowhere near him. Of course he wants to resolve things in person with her because abusers always want to maintain some kind of power and entry into their victims' life.

• Like 19
  • Useful 1

2 hours ago, AimingforYoko said:

Blake Jenner confirms Melissa Benoist's domestic abuse allegations.

He used all the right words, but it's always hard to tell if they're his words, or someone he hired.

. “I was scratched. I was slapped. I was punched in the face, which caused a trip to the hospital to treat my broken nose,” he wrote. “I, too, have had to conceal and make up lies about many visible injuries I had incurred throughout the relationship.”

Gee, could those injuries have occurred while she was defending herself from your abuse?

• Like 16
  • Useful 1

Yes, Blake, a 5'6";120 pound girl could do so much damage to you, 6'1" guy 170 pound guy built like an athlete. Get the fuck outta here with that shit.                     I don't know if he thinks this will revive his career (which was never that great to begin with) but I honestly thought he was just going to stay silent. He just committed career suicide in any event. 

• Like 8

On 10/9/2020 at 5:40 AM, Irlandesa said:

We're also discussing this in the Miscellaneous Celebs thread but while they might seem like the right words, it's straight out of an abuser's playbook to do this now, two weeks after the ex who went public about the abuse she suffered gave birth. She's happy.  She's getting good publicity.  This is a way to say to her "remember me."  I'm sure others can explain it better but it's just like that guy who "accidentally" (but not really) posted a pic of a restraining order his ex put out on him. He tweeted it right as she had a movie was coming out.

And he basically "both sides" the situation. And admits to only one physical act (as far as I read).  That's not taking responsibility.

Who is the other couple in question? 

2 minutes ago, bijoux said:

Who is the other couple in question? 

I can't remember who it was.  I know it was an "edgy" director and an actress with a movie coming out but I hadn't heard of either of them.

Beginning Sunday, October 18 Starz will be showing the first of the four part docuseries Seduced: Inside the NXIVM Cult, India Oxenberg's story of her time with the group. She is also one of the executive producers.

“What I wanted to make sure was conveyed was that this isn’t something that happens overnight: This is a long process of indoctrination and grooming that happened for years,” India Oxenberg says. “So I didn’t want the documentary to jump right into something and have the viewers be like, ‘What the f— is wrong with this chick? Why would she do that?’ I wanted this to show that this was systematic.”

• Like 4
  • Useful 1

Hollywood Has An “Entrenched & Endemic” Bullying Problem, Anita Hill-Led Commission’s Survey Finds

Hollywood has a bullying problem. “Hollywood has an entrenched and endemic issue with bullying that is exacerbated by the industry’s power imbalances,” according to the latest report from the Anita Hill-led Hollywood Commission for Eliminating Harassment and Advancing Equality in the Workplace. The report – the third from the Commission in the past two weeks – is based on a survey of 9,630 people who self-identified that they were currently working, pursuing work, or had previously worked in the entertainment industry.

According to the report:
• Women are twice as likely as men to report experiencing abusive workplace conduct often or very often;
• Non-union workers were twice as likely to report all bullying behaviors;
• Disabled workers were roughly twice as likely as those without disabilities to report all forms of workplace bullying;
• Female assistants under the age of 40 reported “stunning” rates of abuse that were two to three times higher than the overall sample;
• Workers under 40 years old were far more likely to report every form of bullying often or very often, with the reported rates decreasing steadily with age.

Hollywood bullies tend to be supervisors – those in charge of workers’ hours, workloads, job assignments and whether a person is fired or promoted. And according to the report, men are doing most (68%) of the bullying.

“But there are good reasons to stop treating abusive workplace conduct as a condition of ongoing employment. Workplace bullying has a devastating influence on the emotional well-being of the victim or target. Employers also pay a price for bullying in the form of lost productivity, increased absenteeism, rising health insurance costs and higher employee turnover.

“Establishing a culture of respect is also a key component to preventing sexual harassment. Sexual harassment often takes place against a backdrop of incivility – in other words, in an environment of generalized disrespect. This is especially true for gender harassment, because when it occurs, it is virtually always in environments with high rates of uncivil conduct.

None of this is probably surprising to people who've been following this topic.

• Like 5
  • Useful 1

3 hours ago, paulvdb said:

Hollywood Has An “Entrenched & Endemic” Bullying Problem, Anita Hill-Led Commission’s Survey Finds

And it doesn't surprise me at all. I remember when both Nicole Eggert and Alexander Polinsky two years ago filed a lawsuit against Scott Baio when he was head of the 80s show, Charles in Charge. And when he won the lawsuit against them, I was not surprised. Two years later, he is doing the exact same thing. He could cry that he was being crushed by the Hollywood elite for not having a career, but the truth is that he was following their playbook. A bully is still a bully. So glad Anita did her research.

Edited by Robert Lynch
  • Like 8

4 hours ago, paulvdb said:

Interesting that reporting is higher for people in non-union jobs. Does this mean that abusers are targeting those people more or that people in unions are facing the same type of crap, are reporting it within their unions who just do the minimum amount of work to make the problem go away without rocking the boat too much.

Also on a side note I hate the use of the word bullying in this kind of context. It makes it sound like the abusers are giving victims wedgies and stealing their lunch money instead of what they are actually doing which would be work place abuse and harassment.

• Like 7

54 minutes ago, Kel Varnsen said:

Does this mean that abusers are targeting those people more or that people in unions are facing the same type of crap, are reporting it within their unions who just do the minimum amount of work to make the problem go away without rocking the boat too much.

I suspect it's the latter.

• Like 2

I suspect it's because bullies are less likely to go after workers who have a union to protect them.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, ABay said:

I suspect it's because bullies are less likely to go after workers who have a union to protect them.

Is it though? I mean Screen Actors Guild is a union, what is there record like when it comes to protecting members against this kind of thing?

• Like 4

Workers under 40 years old were far more likely to report every form of bullying often or very often, with the reported rates decreasing steadily with age.

Also a generational divide. Decades of teaching kids this kind of behavior is not acceptable and shouldn't be tolerated seems to be working. Unfortunately I think it will take all the 60+ aged people in positions of power dying before we'll get real, systematic change for any form of abuse.

• Like 9

I think understanding of this depends on whether you're talking about whether people report harassment to their workplace or whether it refers to how much it was reported to the Commission. There are two questions: whether non-union employees experience more harassment, and whether they REPORT it more often when it occurs. It looks to me like the figure refers to how much the Commission's survey found people said they experienced harassment, not whether those who experienced it filed complaints. So I'm going with the intrepretation that unionized workers are treated better, i.e. experience less harassment.

• Like 7

4 hours ago, Vermicious Knid said:

Also a generational divide. Decades of teaching kids this kind of behavior is not acceptable and shouldn't be tolerated seems to be working. Unfortunately I think it will take all the 60+ aged people in positions of power dying before we'll get real, systematic change for any form of abuse.

I imagine it is that plus several other factors. Young workers would generally have less experience so they would be more likely to take the bad job with the shitty boss. And they would have less job security so the shitty boss would know they can be shitty since it would be more risky for said worker to quit. More experienced workers either have the resume so they can look for something's better, or they know how to deal with shitty boss to keep that person from abusing them or worse of all they have just given up and figure this is what work is like so why bother complaining.

• Like 5

16 hours ago, possibilities said:

I think understanding of this depends on whether you're talking about whether people report harassment to their workplace or whether it refers to how much it was reported to the Commission. There are two questions: whether non-union employees experience more harassment, and whether they REPORT it more often when it occurs. It looks to me like the figure refers to how much the Commission's survey found people said they experienced harassment, not whether those who experienced it filed complaints. So I'm going with the intrepretation that unionized workers are treated better, i.e. experience less harassment.

I ended up reading the commission report and it appears that you are right. The numbers do indicate that unions are providing some degree of protection. Although I wonder if the unions are really protective or if it’s a natural byproduct of moving up the ranks. They found that assistants were two to three times more likely to be mistreated. I’d be interested to see the breakdown by job type and union status. 

Edited by Dani
  • Like 6

On the age factor, it's probably a mix of increasing power and connections shielding someone as they advance in the business and no longer being willing to put up with other people's bullshit, which I've found to be increasingly the case in my life.

• Like 5

Supermodel Linda Evangelista sides with women accusing ex-husband of rape and sexual assault.

“During my relationship with Gérald Marie, I knew nothing of these sexual allegations against him, so I was unable to help these women,” Evangelista told the outlet of her ex-husband to whom she was married from 1987 to 1993.

“Hearing them now, and based on my own experiences, I believe that they are telling the truth,” she continued. “It breaks my heart because these are wounds that may never heal, and I admire their courage and strength for speaking up today.”

• Like 7
  • Useful 6

15 minutes ago, Pink ranger said:

He took entirely the wrong message from growing up around the “More Power” catch phrase.  Though looking back it was a rather  misogynistic show. Most of Tim Taylors antics wouldn't be acceptable on TV today. 

Johnathan Taylor Thomas seems to be the smart one after all.

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

He also apparently copied Armie Hammer's divorce announcement.  (I haven't double checked this but it'd be a weird thing to make up.)

Well, I doubt many watching would have ever considered Brad to have been the sharpest tool in the shed- much less have had the most original thoughts. 

In all seriousness, though, I hope Mr. Bryan somehow treated his now estranged wife down the years better than how he allegedly treated his girlfriend. 

Oh, the date of the separation announcement was October 1st and, just 15 days later, he allegedly assaulted his girlfriend. So either he 'bounced back' into the dating scene REALLY fast  and things went sour straight away or they were dating before the announcement. 

• Sad 5

On 10/17/2020 at 8:09 PM, AimingforYoko said:

Wow he is only 39? He looks pretty rough in that picture, especially since based on the background it was at some planned event, not a mugshot or a surprised tabloid photo.

19 hours ago, Pink ranger said:

Though looking back it was a rather  misogynistic show. Most of Tim Taylors antics wouldn't be acceptable on TV today. 

Would they though? It has been probably 20 years since I saw an episode of Home Improvement, but I seem to remember that Tim's ideas and opinions would pretty much always backfire on him and by the end of the episode he would learn a heartwarming lesson about not being a dumbass.

• Like 10

Yeah, I remember the show as depicting the macho buffoonery of Allen's character as exactly that, not as something to be emulated. And I never saw anything meanspirited on the show. It was pablum, but of the treacly sort, not anything controversial.

• Like 9

If anything, it fell into the "dumb husband/smart wife" trope...although Tim wasn't a complete idiot; he just did a lot of stupid things. 

• Like 10

4 hours ago, Kel Varnsen said:

Would they though? It has been probably 20 years since I saw an episode of Home Improvement, but I seem to remember that Tim's ideas and opinions would pretty much always backfire on him and by the end of the episode he would learn a heartwarming lesson about not being a dumbass.

I don’t think that today’s woke audiences are as accepting  of that kind of  rough around the edges hero though. Even Joey from friends is branded as a sexual harasser by some. If the show within a show Tool Time  was set in the social media age, twitter would “ cancel” him for opinions said on air.

• Like 2
  • Surprise 1

23 minutes ago, Pink ranger said:

I don’t think that today’s woke audiences are as accepting  of that kind of  rough around the edges hero though. Even Joey from friends is branded as a sexual harasser by some. If the show within a show Tool Time  was set in the social media age, twitter would “ cancel” him for opinions said on air.

Friends is one of the most streamed shows and continues to appeal to a younger generation. Last Man Standing is in its 9th season.  Just because a show is critiqued doesn't mean it wouldn't fly.  Random people on Twitter saying "cancel" doesn't actually cancel anyone.  It's just the new "so and so sucks."

But if they do a reboot, yeah, it'll be hard to include ZTB with this domestic.

• Like 13

On 10/18/2020 at 3:22 PM, Pink ranger said:

He took entirely the wrong message from growing up around the “More Power” catch phrase.  Though looking back it was a rather  misogynistic show. Most of Tim Taylors antics wouldn't be acceptable on TV today. 

And yet Tim Allen got a new show in recent years.  Maybe things haven't changed as much as we'd hoped. 

• Like 2