Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Drogo

Hollywood's Dirty Little (Open) Secrets: Harvey Weinstein and Others Like Him

On 2/24/2020 at 7:32 PM, AimingforYoko said:

This guy. 🙄

.... needs to fuck himself with a rusty chainsaw-and so does his client.

I'm thrilled that Weinstein has not only been found guilty, he's looking at some serious hard time. Guess Weinstein's numerous attempts to play the victim prove that he's an even worse actor than he was a producer-and he's also a shitty excuse for a human being. Even though Weinstein wasn't convicted on all charges, got is got, as far as I'm concerned. 

Kudos to the survivors, whether they came forward or not. They didn't deserve to have their dreams, their careers, their reputations nor their lives ruined by Weinstein. What happened to them is his fault, not theirs. Weinstein's survivors deserve much better; Weinstein, however, deserves much worse. As for Weinstein's female attorney, hope the thirty pieces of silver were worth it, you backstabbing bitch.

Edited by DollEyes
  • Like 19

Is there really much risk of an Epstein-style situation in Convicted Rapist Harvey Weinstein's case? I get the impression he was the apex of this particular pyramid of abuse in the entertainment industry, so it would be his own underlings and people he bribed or intimidated into doing his bidding that he could theoretically turn over evidence about, not heads of state and other rich and powerful people who might pull strings to have him silenced. Based on what I've seen of his personality he'd be extremely unlikely to actually kill himself under any circumstances.

• Like 5
  • Useful 1

3 hours ago, merylinkid said:

I am huge believer of everyone is entitled to a good defense attorney.   It's how our justice system works.   However, some of the shit she did in this case make me co-sign this wholeheartedly.    That interview where she said "I would never put myself in that position" to be sexually harassed and the op-ed were not zealously representing her client, those were condoning his behavior.

Exactly. Attitudes like hers are one of the main reasons why so many of Weinstein's survivors hesitated to come forward and why others didn't come forward at all, not that I'm judging them, unlike her. What if one of them was her daughter, her sister, her best friend or her mother? Fuck her and the victim-shaming horse she rode in on.

Edited by DollEyes
  • Like 14

The headline in the Washington Post mentions the upcoming L.A. Trial, but the article just rehashes the New York Trial. I'm no lawyer, but, when does this piece of shit have to appear in L.A. to face those rape charges? After sentencing in New York?

And as for this little gem:

As of Tuesday night, Weinstein was still at the hospital for monitoring, according to his publicist, Juda Engelmayer. “I spoke to him, and he said that he’s physically not doing well and every day he’s feeling worse,” Engelmayer said.

Oh Boo-Fucking-Hoo. Cry me a Fucking River.

giphy.gif 

giphy.gif

• Like 17

1 hour ago, izabella said:

So he still hasn't seen a  minute of jail time.  Figures.

The hospital he is in at the moment has a prison ward.  From what I have seen online,  it's only marginally better than the medical facility at Rikers.  He is not in a regular hospital room.

• Like 11
  • Useful 2

2 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

The hospital he is in at the moment has a prison ward.  From what I have seen online,  it's only marginally better than the medical facility at Rikers.  He is not in a regular hospital room.

I understand what you are saying.  However, he has a bed where people are coming to take care of him instead of sitting in a cell by himself.

• Like 10

2 hours ago, izabella said:

I understand what you are saying.  However, he has a bed where people are coming to take care of him instead of sitting in a cell by himself.

I want him to spend at least ten years in prison but he will probably decide to kick the bucket within a year - he shouldn’t get off that easy. 

• Like 8

Even if he kicks the bucket tomorrow he is still CONVICTED RAPIST HARVEY WEINSTEIN.  

Does New York have that law that if you die while your appeal is pending, the conviction is wiped off the books?   I hope not.   But even if it does, the jury still voted to CONVICT.

• Like 12

The stuff about Amber, calling champagne “Champers” and calling himself an “Injun.” It’s like an explosion of grossness. 

• Like 9

5 hours ago, merylinkid said:

Does New York have that law that if you die while your appeal is pending, the conviction is wiped off the books?   I hope not.   But even if it does, the jury still voted to CONVICT.

Based on what I’ve read (not a lawyer) that’s not a law but a legal doctrine. It’s up to the court’s whether or not to follow it and most don’t. 

• Useful 2

I read just recently about some case where the family of a victim protested that and managed to stop the process after their relatives' killer passed away with an appeal pending. Maybe Aaron Hernandez?

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, Bruinsfan said:

I read just recently about some case where the family of a victim protested that and managed to stop the process after their relatives' killer passed away with an appeal pending. Maybe Aaron Hernandez?

It was Aaron Hernandez. If I recall correctly, it was a quirk of Massachusetts state law that has now been changed because of his case. I don't know that many other states follow it, so I doubt it would be applicable to Weinstein. I don't think it applied to Epstein, who did die in New York. 

Edited by Zella
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, Zella said:

I don't think it applied to Epstein, who did die in New York. 

Epstein died before his New York trial, so legally he was innocent of those charges.   his previouis conviction was a plea deal and not on appeal, so that conviction remained.

The Enron guy died while his case was on appeal so he was legally "not guilty."   Aaron Hernandez was legally not guilty but then they changed the law and the conviction remained.   

• Like 2
  • Useful 1

10 hours ago, merylinkid said:

Even if he kicks the bucket tomorrow he is still CONVICTED RAPIST HARVEY WEINSTEIN.  

In NY, if you are convicted and die after you started the appeal process but before it's done, the conviction remains in place.  If you are in the middle of an appeal, it can't be used to enhance a later charge, but it is on your record even while the appeal is pending.  So if he wants it off, he needs to live (in prison) while he's waiting for that to go through.

• Like 6
  • Useful 1

4 hours ago, merylinkid said:

Epstein died before his New York trial, so legally he was innocent of those charges.   his previouis conviction was a plea deal and not on appeal, so that conviction remained.

The Enron guy died while his case was on appeal so he was legally "not guilty."   Aaron Hernandez was legally not guilty but then they changed the law and the conviction remained.   

I’m not a lawyer, but I do not think Epstein was innocent, he was presumed not guilty since there hadn’t been a trial. 

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Stats Queen said:

I’m not a lawyer, but I do not think Epstein was innocent, he was presumed not guilty since there hadn’t been a trial. 

Yeah, I agree. There's quite a difference between being innocent and being presumed not guilty. 

• Like 8

On 2/24/2020 at 11:57 PM, Zella said:

I'm almost surprised he didn't try to whip out an oxygen tank at some point. 

He's still facing charges in LA - he might just try that!!!

• Like 5

My money is on faking a heart attack in the courtroom.

Also, Lisa Bloom is already trying to rewrite history and frame herself as a heroic defender of the weak and vulnerable:

Brought down Weinstein? She fucking represented him!

Edited by Danny Franks
  • Like 8
  • Surprise 2
  • Sad 2

7 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

Why not both?

7 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

My money is on faking a heart attack in the courtroom.

Also, Lisa Bloom is already trying to rewrite history and frame herself as a heroic defender of the weak and vulnerable:

the princess bride eye roll GIF

• Like 17

Aunt Lisa can go to hell. I know that Convicted Rapist Harvey Weinstein is entitled to representation but she went too far. 

Edited by anna0852
  • Like 11

Aunt Lisa can go to hell. I know that Convicted Racist Harvey Weinstein is entitled to representation but she went too far. 

Not sure if this quote contains a typo or not.  Could go either way.  

• Surprise 1

37 minutes ago, Hooper said:

What do you mean?

2 hours ago, anna0852 said:

Aunt Lisa can go to hell. I know that Convicted Racist Harvey Weinstein is entitled to representation but she went too far. 

59 minutes ago, Hooper said:

22 minutes ago, anna0852 said:

What do you mean?

I think Hooper was pointing out that your original comment had racist, instead of rapist, maybe?

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I think Hooper was pointing out that your original comment had racist, instead of rapist, maybe?

Dang autocorrect. I'll fix.

Well, don't switch "racist" to "rapist" on my account anna0852  🙂 I have no idea of Weinstein is racist or not, but autocorrect might be on to something,  and I'm happy to give Harvey zero benefit of the doubt. 

• Like 4
  • Laugh 12

On 2/29/2020 at 2:05 AM, praeceptrix said:

Rapist Roman Polanski won a César, resulting in a walkout.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-51684494

Good for the women for walking out. The people who decided to not only nominate, but also award him must be living in a bubble if they expected that to just fly. 

• Like 17

Chris Matthews of MSNBC was nowhere to be seen Saturday during the network's commentary on the South Carolina primary, after a former analyst for the network came out to say that he sexually harassed her.  He was already on thin ice and had to apologize for inflammatory comments he had made just days earlier about Bernie Sanders.

https://thehill.com/homenews/media/485361-msnbcs-chris-matthews-absent-from-air-amid-sexual-harassment-allegations

• Useful 5
  • Surprise 4

Yeah, I just checked. They're doing Hardball by committee and....MOURNING Chris. Nope.

• Like 2
  • Surprise 1

37 minutes ago, magdalene said:

Chris Matthews out at MSNBC effective immediately.

He was planning on retiring after the election, but enough is enough with this guy.

But who will teach the children about Tip O'Neill now?

2 hours ago, TVFan17 said:

I don't think this was posted here yet?  If it was and I missed seeing it, I apologize.

Timothy Hutton Accused of Raping 14-Year-Old Girl in 1983 (Report)

This is distressing, he seemed like one of the good ones.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, SnoGirl said:

Oh no. Oh noooooooooooooooo. I love Timothy Hutton-Leverage is literally my perfect show. This one is soul crushing.

Not to mention Ordinary People...he was perfect in the role that won him an Oscar.

• Like 4

I literally don't know what to make of the Timothy Hutton news.   He seemed like one of the good guys.   No rumors swirling.   Happily married to the same woman for decades.   But, on the other hand, if we believe victims, this should be investigated further.   I guess I am waiting for proof.   Which is not always available.   Especially after all this time.   

• Like 5
  • Sad 6

Where I have trouble is when there is only one accuser. I don't believe for a second that these victims are lying. But at the same time sexual offenders are overwhelmingly serial predators. We've been seeing that time and time again. 

With these one-off accusations it's really hard to reconcile 'false accusations are very rare' with 'most offenders have multiple victims'. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, anna0852 said:

Where I have trouble is when there is only one accuser. I don't believe for a second that these victims are lying. But at the same time sexual offenders are overwhelmingly serial predators. We've been seeing that time and time again. 

With these one-off accusations it's really hard to reconcile 'false accusations are very rare' with 'most offenders have multiple victims'. 

Most isn't all and one public accuser doesn't mean one victim. 

Natalie Portman was 14/15 when she made a movie with Hutton called Beautiful Girls. The dynamic between their characters is very uncomfortable. His character never tries anything that I recall but he's very obviously attracted to her, calling her hot, and gets jealous of her talking to a boy her own age (he watches her from his bedroom window). Portman said if it, "It definitely made me shy away from that kind of role. And there’s a surprising preponderance of that kind of role for young girls. Sort of being fantasy objects for men, and especially this idealized purity combined with the fertility of youth, and all this in one.”

Edited by slf
  • Like 6
  • Useful 5
  • Sad 2