Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Drogo

Hollywood's Dirty Little (Open) Secrets: Harvey Weinstein and Others Like Him

For everyone who is doubting that Johnny Depp is an abusive guy, you might want to check out this video

• Sad 1

13 minutes ago, GaT said:

For everyone who is doubting that Johnny Depp is an abusive guy

Is there part of the video I'm missing? I didn't see him hit her. It looked to me like he knocked the phone off the counter and...that was it? 

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, Giant Misfit said:

Is there part of the video I'm missing? I didn't see him hit her. It looked to me like he knocked the phone off the counter and...that was it? 

He threw the glass & bottle, not to mention his whole attitude.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

24 minutes ago, GaT said:

He threw the glass & bottle, not to mention his whole attitude.

Eh. I don't see that as abusive. And who knows if she was tuning him up to elicit the response she got? I don't know. People are sometimes assholes on both sides. 

• Like 12

28 minutes ago, Giant Misfit said:

Eh. I don't see that as abusive. And who knows if she was tuning him up to elicit the response she got? I don't know. People are sometimes assholes on both sides. 

I guess we have different definitions of abusive.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Giant Misfit said:

It looked to me like he grabbed it, and it seems to me that if he felt he had anything to hide, he would have deleted the video.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, GaT said:

For everyone who is doubting that Johnny Depp is an abusive guy, you might want to check out this video

So from a 90 second clip that provides no context to getting him to that stage of anger and shows no abuse, we are supposed to deduce Depp is an abusive asshole?

Given the other audio of Herald gas-lighting Depp, at this point I'd put my money on her doing something to get him to that point. She seems to be a sociopath who is a master at gas-lighting and manipulating. Her language and verbal demeanor matches the other clips.

• Like 14

4 hours ago, BlackberryJam said:

Why does one brief audio of a fight invalidate physical evidence of violence?

It's not just a brief audio of a fight -- SHE ADMITTED ON TAPE SHE ABUSED HIM.   What more do you need?   A sworn notarized statement.   It's her own words saying she did it.   

Guess what, abusers have evidence of "violence" when the victim finally defends themselves.   Which the abuser than amplifies to the nth degree to claim they are the victim.   

• Like 15

Just now, merylinkid said:

It's not just a brief audio of a fight -- SHE ADMITTED ON TAPE SHE ABUSED HIM.   What more do you need?   A sworn notarized statement.   It's her own words saying she did it.   

Guess what, abusers have evidence of "violence" when the victim finally defends themselves.   Which the abuser than amplifies to the nth degree to claim they are the victim.   

I need LOTS more for me to believe that he didn’t leave those bruises on her. I need evidence that the bruises were fake or in the alternative, video evidence of her bruising herself. 

I also need evidence of actual injury to Johnny.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, BlackberryJam said:

I also need evidence of actual injury to Johnny.

He's missing a finger tip.   That enough injury.

Seeing proof she did the bruises herself is a INCREDIBLY HIGH UNREALISTIC BAR.   Basically Amber = girl so she must be believed even when she admits she is the abuser, Depp = guy so he must be the abuser until the girl provies she faked it.   

I represent DV victims.   The abuser has injuries.   From the victim defending themself.   But the abuser is very quick to make it appear AT LEAST mutual combat to keep themselves out of trouble.  

That tape is EXACTLY what abusers do.   They push and push and push until the victim defends themself.   Then the abuser goes "see, crazy.  I'm the victim here."

• Like 21

1 minute ago, merylinkid said:

He's missing a finger tip.   That enough injury.

Seeing proof she did the bruises herself is a INCREDIBLY HIGH UNREALISTIC BAR.   Basically Amber = girl so she must be believed even when she admits she is the abuser, Depp = guy so he must be the abuser until the girl provies she faked it.   

I represent DV victims.   The abuser has injuries.   From the victim defending themself.   But the abuser is very quick to make it appear AT LEAST mutual combat to keep themselves out of trouble.  

That tape is EXACTLY what abusers do.   They push and push and push until the victim defends themself.   Then the abuser goes "see, crazy.  I'm the victim here."

I have represented hundreds of DV victims for the past 23 years and heard many, many more of those cases. That audiotape is nothing but a verbal altercation between spouses. Married people fight ugly. They say things to hurt the other person. I absolutely will always need more than an audio of a fight. 

And as I said earlier, Crazy chicks get beat too. 

• Like 3

So just so I'm clear. A barely minute video of Johnny Depp assaulting cabinets more than anything else and grabbing for a phone when he realizes that for whatever reason, he's being conveniently filmed, is absolute proof that he abused Amber Heard. 

Amber Heard's having a past arrest for partner violence and an audio that includes everything from her gas-lighting Johnny (I didn't punch you, my hands were open, it was more of a slap, it wasn't a punch), berating him for walking away when their arguments got increasingly aggressive, by calling him a coward and multiple times admitting to hurling things at him and hitting him is absolutely not proof that she wasn't a victim and this was likely just a fucked up relationship with two fucked up people. More evidence is still needed. Okay, got it. 

30 minutes ago, BlackberryJam said:

Crazy chicks get beat too. 

That they do. And crazy chicks also sometimes lie and manipulate situations to make themselves the victim. 

• Like 20

7 minutes ago, truthaboutluv said:

So just so I'm clear. A barely minute video of Johnny Depp assaulting cabinets more than anything else and grabbing for a phone when he realizes that for whatever reason, he's being conveniently filmed, is absolute proof that he abused Amber Heard. 

I don’t recall saying anything about his assault of cabinets. I discussed the photographs of her face.

7 minutes ago, truthaboutluv said:

That they do. And crazy chicks also sometimes lie and manipulate situations to make themselves the victim. 

Did she manipulate him into punching her in the face? It happens in domestic violence situations. And this was clearly a toxic relationship. I don’t know if she did that. I know she had bruises on her face. I know you don’t get those kinds of bruises from walking into doors.

I do not think Amber Heard is a good person or an innocent angel or even an average human being. In fact, I don’t think anything about Amber Heard really at all. But the evidence is clear that Johnny Depp hit a woman in the face. But hey, maybe she deserved it, right?

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, BlackberryJam said:

Johnny Depp hit a woman in the face

It is also clear that Amber cut off part of a man's finger and threw things at a man.

But yeah, let's go with the sexist attitude that it's only wrong for men to hit women, not that it's wrong for ANYONE to hit BEAT AND MAIM anyone.

• Like 14

Domestic violence is a tough topic, but that doesn't mean that the Be Civil policy doesn't apply here.  Please do not direct your ire about the discussion topic towards your fellow posters.

• Like 3

I believe the cops, who were deposed and under oath:

The LAPD officers who responded to the 911 call that night also were deposed as part of the divorce proceeding. Officer Melissa Saenz, in a July 18, 2016, deposition, testified that Heard refused to give her name, so she didn't realize who the famous actress was until weeks later. Saenz said Heard was crying but she did not see any marks, bruises, swelling or signs of injury on her face. The officer also testified that she inspected the apartment and saw no signs of shattered glass or broken items. Saenz said Heard repeatedly "shook her head" in response to questions and did not want to talk, and that she had no probable cause to believe a crime had been committed. Officer Tyler Hadden shared similar testimony.

Heard testified that she declined to give a statement to the officers at the advice of her lawyer. Meanwhile, Pennington said the officers saw "all of the damage," including the broken glass, and offered to "go arrest him right now" if Heard filed a report. LAPD officers Saenz and Hadden denied in their depositions ever saying that.

• Like 3

Is raping your arguments now a thing in couples therapy? They both made references to the tape which means things were so bad between them they recorded every conversation. I suppose I can see why but I wouldn't want to hear a playback of me arguing with my husband. We don't argue violently but we do argue irrationally. Or so I've been told.

I'm annoyed about this Amber Heard revelation. I believed her. Who would make something like that up? It could have been just a bad day tape wise (I think I read that they separated pretty soon after) but Amber was employing some gross manipulation tactics. She's clearly smarter than Johnny and she was able to argue circles around him. It's also impossible to justify the whole punching/slapping argument. Or that she 'couldn't promise it wouldn't happen again.' I'm just tired of it being proven again and again that humanity both sucks and blows. 

• Like 8

10 hours ago, BlackberryJam said:

That audiotape is nothing but a verbal altercation between spouses.

According to the news report I heard this morning there are many more tapes that are going to be released.  I don't think they will prove to be much ado about nothing.

4 hours ago, Iris987 said:

Is raping your arguments now a thing in couples therapy? They both made references to the tape which means things were so bad between them they recorded every conversation. I suppose I can see why but I wouldn't want to hear a playback of me arguing with my husband. We don't argue violently but we do argue irrationally. Or so I've been told.

I'm annoyed about this Amber Heard revelation. I believed her. Who would make something like that up? It could have been just a bad day tape wise (I think I read that they separated pretty soon after) but Amber was employing some gross manipulation tactics. She's clearly smarter than Johnny and she was able to argue circles around him. It's also impossible to justify the whole punching/slapping argument. Or that she 'couldn't promise it wouldn't happen again.' I'm just tired of it being proven again and again that humanity both sucks and blows. 

Not that difficult to be smarter than a known alcoholic and addict like Johnny.  I really am not surprised to find out Amber manipulated Johnny like this.  While I didn't pay that much attention to who Johnny Depp was dating or married to after he became Jack Sparrow in real life, anytime a barely B-list celebrity marries an A-lister old enough to be her father, it is obvious that she is using him.  

I would say that taping your arugments is not something that couples who marry for love and the desire to share a life together, would not tape their arguments.  Couples where at least one person is using the other, yeah taping would definitely happen.  Amber wanted to catch Johnny saying and doing things that would benefit her when the eventually divorced.  

• Like 3

10 hours ago, merylinkid said:

It is also clear that Amber cut off part of a man's finger and threw things at a man.

But yeah, let's go with the sexist attitude that it's only wrong for men to hit women, not that it's wrong for ANYONE to hit BEAT AND MAIM anyone.

Can we not agree that they both seem to be shitty, toxic people and judging which of them is worse is a futile endeavour?

• Like 22

12 minutes ago, Danny Franks said:

Can we not agree that they both seem to be shitty, toxic people and judging which of them is worse is a futile endeavour?

+1

We found out Amber Heard is heinous but I don't see how that means Johnny Depp is actually a saint who never did anything to her. It seems obvious to me they are both assholes who treated each other like shit and clearly never should have been in a relationship with each other.

• Like 15

I'm so disheartened by the "he must have done something to her" mentality that persists when it comes to F on M domestic abuse. 

Depp has his issues, sure. What he doesn't have is any record of domestic abuse. Herald does.

• Like 12

20 minutes ago, Danny Franks said:

The people I've heard defending Depp most are dyed in the wool fans who feel he has been vindicated.  Which I totally can understand.   I see the same thing with parents I deal with who are so anxious to defend their violent child that they seize on anything they can that in any way excuses their behavior.  And sometimes those excuses are valid BTW.

Edited by PennyPlain
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Danny Franks said:

That is my take on the shitshow that is Depp and Heard.  They come off as a couple who liked to fight very physically with each other.

However,  I do judge her more harshly than him because she deliberately created a public  narrative of an abuse victim at a time when  it finally became tenable for real victims of abuse to be heard and to be credibly believed -- finally!  And here she is using that seemingly to manipulate sympathy in a way that feels very calculated.  It, imo, is way more harmful in the bigger scheme of things because she has made it even harder for the lone victim to be believed.  Because unless there are Weinstein/Cosby levels of corroboration across multiple victims, the lone victim will still be largely discounted and now people can point to Amber as proof of that.

• Like 23

6 hours ago, Iris987 said:

I'm just tired of it being proven again and again that humanity both sucks and blows. 

charlize theron nod GIF by Golden Globes

• Like 6
  • Sad 4

48 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

charlize theron nod GIF by Golden Globes

But we must ALSO remember that there are good folks,too. Otherwise there'd be nothing more then universal cynical indifference to domestic violence, rape, harassment,etc. It's like the late Fred Rogers once said: always look towards those who are HELPING as a guide whenever horrible things happen! 

• Like 18

16 hours ago, BlackberryJam said:

I have represented hundreds of DV victims for the past 23 years and heard many, many more of those cases. That audiotape is nothing but a verbal altercation between spouses. Married people fight ugly. They say things to hurt the other person. I absolutely will always need more than an audio of a fight. 

And as I said earlier, Crazy chicks get beat too. 

Well domestic violence doesn't have to always be physical.  Depp's behavior in that clip seems fairly abusive to me.  To be fair, I've never been married, but in my life I've never argued with any partner, friend or family member in that way and I have a pretty good temper.  There's absolutely no reason to slam things, throw things (you can hear a glass breaking) or grab things (even if he did think he was being recorded).  That's abusive behavior.  And I would hope it's not how typical married couples argue.  I'm not saying she's an angel, but Depp's behavior in that video is wildly inappropriate.

4 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

This!  It's entirely possible for both people in a relationship to be abusive towards each other.  I think we like to believe that there's always one victim and one perpetrator, but that's not always the case.

• Like 9

7 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Huh? Do you mean taping?

Yes! Asshole Bastardry auto correct!

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
  • Laugh 6

1 hour ago, Proclone said:

Well domestic violence doesn't have to always be physical.  Depp's behavior in that clip seems fairly abusive to me.  To be fair, I've never been married, but in my life I've never argued with any partner, friend or family member in that way and I have a pretty good temper.  There's absolutely no reason to slam things, throw things (you can hear a glass breaking) or grab things (even if he did think he was being recorded).  That's abusive behavior.  And I would hope it's not how typical married couples argue.  I'm not saying she's an angel, but Depp's behavior in that video is wildly inappropriate.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong (I can't rewatch the video at the moment), but I thought it wasn't an argument, other than maybe toward the end when she was commenting on how much he had drunk that morning.  I got the impression that she awoke to him being in a shitty mood and throwing a mild, prolonged tantrum and proceeded to ask questions about it.

9 hours ago, PennyPlain said:

According to the news report I heard this morning there are many more tapes that are going to be released.  I don't think they will prove to be much ado about nothing.

Depp's lawyers also want James Franco to be questioned because there is a surveillance video of Heard and Franco in an elevator (they were all in the same apartment building) together the night she claims she and Depp had a heated fight where she got the bruises and Depp claims the bruises appeared  later in the week and it was part of some kind of hoax Heard perpetrated against him.

Franco is pushing to have the deposition sealed with financial penalties against Depp is it leaks.  It begs the question of whether Franco does know something regarding Heard/Depp or if he's just freaked out over the idea of one of the lawyers bringing up his #metoo accusations to try to discredit him.

Depp is also trying to get Elon Musk deposed because he thinks Musk saw Heard in the window of time where she claims the bruises occurred and when Depp thinks they appeared.

• Useful 3

17 hours ago, janie jones said:

Someone correct me if I'm wrong (I can't rewatch the video at the moment), but I thought it wasn't an argument, other than maybe toward the end when she was commenting on how much he had drunk that morning.  I got the impression that she awoke to him being in a shitty mood and throwing a mild, prolonged tantrum and proceeded to ask questions about it.

Yes Depp is essentially stomping around the kitchen slamming things and eventually (what sounds like) throwing a glass and then grabbing her phone.  This might be a YMMV sort of thing, but I wouldn't cal it a "mild" tantrum.  Like I said,, I have never in my adult life ever behaved like that.  I certainly wouldn't respond in that manner to my partner asking what was wrong.  I would say that Depp's behavior certainly reveals how toxic their relationship was and definitely is toeing the line of emotionally and verbally abusive even if he's not physically abusive in that clip.

• Like 4

In unhealthy relationships, which this certainly was, partners yell, scream, throw things at each other, punch walls and say ridiculous and near-unforgivable things. Some people fight with the goal being winning and winning being hurting the other person more than they hurt you. We can talk about it like it's some strange and foreign thing, but half of marriages end in divorce. There aren't a lot of really good, strong, healthy, appropriate relationships out there. Add to that the ego and narcissism found in celebrity marriages and the divorce percentage is higher.

At least Heard and Depp didn't have children. 

On another note, I don't Facebook and my twitter is carefully curated, are people really upset about the Super Bowl halftime show? Two older women with incredible bodies put on a great show. Where's the drama in that?

• Like 3

Half of all marriages end in divorce. However, many of those marriages are with folks who have already been divorced at least once so that's a factor to consider (and not all divorces happen due to abuse, adultery or neglect but there is a number of folks who split out of mere boredom). I say if 'strong, healthy, appropriate' relationships were the exception instead of the rule, then there'd be little if any outrage much less surprise at those relationships that prove toxic. 

As for the Depp- Heard union, I think it's likely both were abusive to each other even if one was more so in some ways. Being 'not as bad' should never be equated to being good.

• Like 4

My definition of abuse* is simple.  If I witnessed the spouse if my child/friend/sibling acting that way, would I be worried about them?  If my partner behaved that way, would I be scared for my own safety?  Someone throwing and breaking things would terrify me, and I would advise my loved ones to GTFO of a relationship like that immediately. Yelling is one thing, but as soon as it turns physical, that's not normal to me. 

*I'm not suggesting this is - or should be - the legal definition of abuse. Just where I personally draw the line. 

• Like 7

44 minutes ago, Jane Tuesday said:

Yelling is one thing, but as soon as it turns physical, that's not normal to me. 

Even yelling for me can be a strong indication of emotional abuse.  We all lose it once in a while and shout if not at someone, then certainly about something - but someone whose reaction to everything that bothers them is to yell and lash out verbally is someone I would really rather not be around.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Jane Tuesday said:

My definition of abuse* is simple.  If I witnessed the spouse if my child/friend/sibling acting that way, would I be worried about them?  If my partner behaved that way, would I be scared for my own safety?  Someone throwing and breaking things would terrify me, and I would advise my loved ones to GTFO of a relationship like that immediately. Yelling is one thing, but as soon as it turns physical, that's not normal to me. 

*I'm not suggesting this is - or should be - the legal definition of abuse. Just where I personally draw the line. 

I think that's probably a lot of people's definition of abuse.  I think where people disagree about the Depp video is in whether or not his behavior was scary.  I happen not to think it's scary.

Is his behavior in that video appropriate?  No.  Should someone put up with a partner who behaved like that every time they got angry? No.  Do I fear for her safety when I watch that video?  No.  But that's also why I'd say that if he behaved like that on a regular basis (which I don't know enough about the situation to know whether he did), there was emotional abuse.

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, janie jones said:

I think that's probably a lot of people's definition of abuse.  I think where people disagree about the Depp video is in whether or not his behavior was scary.  I happen not to think it's scary.

I would go a bit farther and say not so much whether his behavior was scary but rather was Amber scared?  Lot of things are objectively scary, but imo, for a physical altercation or other act to rise to the level actual abuse, there needs to be a power differential  where the victim is unable to, afraid to, or too intimidated to challenge the act. 

• Like 6
  • Useful 1

15 minutes ago, DearEvette said:

I would go a bit farther and say not so much whether his behavior was scary but rather was Amber scared?  Lot of things are objectively scary, but imo, for a physical altercation or other act to rise to the level actual abuse, there needs to be a power differential  where the victim is unable to, afraid to, or too intimidated to challenge the act. 

That's a good point, which I meant to mention.  I don't think she seems scared, either.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, DearEvette said:

I didn't see any fear in Amber in that clip.  In fact, I saw a woman purposefully recording her husband's drunken tantrum.  She even moves her phone to get a better view of him filling up his wine glass, the empty bottle, and her asking him if he had drunk all of it this morning.  I saw a lot of calculation there.  She wanted a record of him being at the very least a drunk.  Which has been my opinion of him for years.  

• Like 14
  • Useful 1

In my state, intimidating  a spouse/partner by breaking items, punching walls, damaging property IS considered ABUSE. It's done to scare the other person and put them in fear for their safety.  Mr. Depp has done similar behavior with other people. It's not someone making him that way. His OWN people could barely control him when he's on a rant.  IMO, he's a very disturbed person, who I pray doesn't hurt anyone else.  Sadly, he will likely always have the means and inclination to bully those who are less strong and impress the rest with his money and status.  He makes me ill to even look at him anymore.  I do believe that people with his condition bring the worst on themselves and he is no exception. 

Here's an article on one incident. There was a video about it too, but, I can't find it now. 

https://pagesix.com/2016/06/02/johnny-depp-fights-bodyguard-in-drunken-stupor/

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Like 4

My take is, I do think Johnny has abusive tendencies, especially when he drinks but I do not consider Amber a victim of him so much as she was instigating him towards violence for her own ends. I hate saying that she brought this on herself because that is generally not true and used to excuse abusive behaviour, but in this case, I believe she very much actively provoked him into violence for her own reasons. 

They both suck as people. I know Johnny battles addiction he'd get help with that, rather than marrying a woman who uses his alcoholism to further her "victim" story. I am not sure what her story is but I think they both need a LOT of therapy because these are some seriously damaged people. 

• Like 7

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-51383835

The disgusting abusive behavior of coaches in the world of elite skating -- apparently an open secret for decades -- is finally getting some attention.

French skating champion Sarah Abitbol revealed in her autobiography that her coach raped her starting when she was 15. Fifty of her fellow athletes have signed a letter supporting Ms. Abitbol. Three other skaters have accused the coach, Gilles Beyer, and two other coaches of raping and abusing them when they were minors.  

Only now, decades after the raped, have Prosecutors in France decided to investigate. Meanwhile,  despite several investigations (internal, by skating authorities) which found that Beyer had committed "repeated serious acts against young skaters," the scumbag rapist managed to continue coaching until 2018 (hockey, not figure skating, but still in a position to be in contact with young skaters). The bastard has apologized (yeah, I need to see the wording of that "apology," as I'm certain it was an empty non-apology).

The skating world has some serious housecleaning to do.

From the article:

The former skater, who is now 44, rejected Mr Beyer's apology and said that she wanted accountability for "all those who covered up [the crimes] both in the club and the federation".

and

In the letter - signed by more than 50 competitors - the athletes said they were "disgusted... but not surprised".

"We can no longer be silent! It is time to act collectively and realize that breaking the silence also means serving sport," the letter reads. It was written by members of the Commission of High-Level Athletes (CAHN), part of France's Olympic Committee (CNOSF)."

Edited by praeceptrix · Reason: forgot to include the link
  • Like 7
  • Sad 8

I'm beginning to realize ALL organized sport with tweens/teens is run by abusive, rapist assholes and everyone covers up for them because awards and prizes and money.  We just don't know about all of it yet.

• Like 10
  • Sad 8

14 minutes ago, izabella said:

I'm beginning to realize ALL organized sport with tweens/teens is run by abusive, rapist assholes and everyone covers up for them because awards and prizes and money.  We just don't know about all of it yet.

It seems to me that for some reason male sex abusers are dealt with, but, violent abusers of women, who don't offend sexually are condoned.  They still get record sales, movie deals and are  invited to award shows.  I guess the Me Too movement didn't reach far enough to cover them.  Perhaps, that is in the future. 

https://www.vox.com/a/sexual-harassment-assault-allegations-list

• Like 1
  • Sad 6

I'm posting this because I'm pretty sure the arrest was posted here.

Charges dropped against couple, DA believes former prosecutor set them up

A California prosecutor is dropping all charges against Dr. Grant Robicheaux, an orthopedic surgeon who appeared on the TV show The Online Dating Rituals of the American Male, and his girlfriend, substitute teacher Cerissa Riley, alleging that his predecessor manufactured allegations that the couple drugged and sexually assaulted up to 1,000 women.

“The prior District Attorney and his chief of staff manufactured this case and repeatedly misstated the evidence to lead the public and vulnerable women to believe that these two individuals plied up to 1,000 women with drugs and alcohol in order to sexually assault them—and videotape the assaults,” Spitzer said in a blistering statement. .....

“As a result of the complete case review I ordered beginning in July, we now know that there was not a single video or photograph depicting an unconscious or incapacitated woman being sexually assaulted.”

The defense claimed the former DA, Tony Rackauckas inflated the allegations, hoping that media attention would buoy his re-election effort. Last June, unsealed transcripts of a deposition showed the ex-prosecutor thought the publicity would help him.....

• Surprise 10
  • Sad 1