Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Drogo

Hollywood's Dirty Little (Open) Secrets: Harvey Weinstein and Others Like Him

He's delusional

Bill Cosby Will Not Express Remorse in Prison for Parole

I have eight years and nine months left," he told National Newspaper Publishers Association's BlackPressUSA.com. "When I come up for parole, they're not going to hear me say that I have remorse. I was there. I don't care what group of people come along and talk about this when they weren't there. They don't know."

"It's all a set up. That whole jury thing. They were imposters," he accused, further questioning the existence of bias in the jury. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 9

I have eight years and nine months left," [Cosby] told National Newspaper Publishers Association's BlackPressUSA.com. "When I come up for parole, they're not going to hear me say that I have remorse." 

Wow, Cosby sure is taking it on blinding good faith that he will live to see parole. Dude, you're 82 years old, you'll be lucky to live to see the next election, let alone parole. Freedom at 90, after some years in prison, doesn't sound like much of a bargain to me (not that you deserve one, you vile, disgusting, sociopathic piece of shit).

• Like 13

2 hours ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

Wow, Cosby sure is taking it on blinding good faith that he will live to see parole.

Well he will be up for parole in September of 2021 so it’s very possible. The eight years and nine months is when his full sentence will be up.

• Like 4

If you don't express remorse, you are not getting out on parole.

he thinks the jury was actors or something?   Wow, that is like mentally ill level of denial.   Is he trying for a compassionate release on health grounds?   Or getting moved to a secure psychiatric hospital?   

Fine, don't express remorse.   But you admitted you drugged women.   No need for a "fake" jury at that point.   You convicted yourself.

• Like 17

16 minutes ago, merylinkid said:

If you don't express remorse, you are not getting out on parole.

he thinks the jury was actors or something?   Wow, that is like mentally ill level of denial.   Is he trying for a compassionate release on health grounds?   Or getting moved to a secure psychiatric hospital?   

Fine, don't express remorse.   But you admitted you drugged women.   No need for a "fake" jury at that point.   You convicted yourself.

giphy.gif.b47eb0ead1996a201a3c8310f531a57c.gif

• Like 9

11 hours ago, possibilities said:

I hope they don't let him out on parole when he explicitly denies any remorse.

They won't.  Accepting responsibility for your crime and expressing remorse is step one in having a shot at parole once you're eligible for it; it's a dilemma faced by those who were wrongly convicted, because they don't want to say they did something they didn't do, but they also want the hell out of their nightmare.

So if Cosby waltzes in there with that attitude each time, his ass is staying in prison.  Thus, I hope he keeps it up until he dies.

• Like 14
  • Useful 1

For anyone interested, Ronan Farrow is launching a Catch and Kill podcast. Each episode will focus on a different interview he conducted, during the course of his investigation, but they may not make easy listening:

“The podcast was a wonderful opportunity to have conversations that were much more direct and much more frank,” Farrow told the Guardian. “They’re very raw, they’re very emotional, they’re very real. And I’ve been very grateful for how the people I’ve interviewed for this have opened up.”

“We recorded hours of our conversations in real time as the story was getting killed by our network executives,” Farrow said. “And you can hear the real moments about reacting to those pieces of news and how we reacted in the moment.”

• Like 6

Does non-sexual intimate partner violence count for this thread? Because Melissa Benoist just outed Blake Jenner as an abusive piece of shit. (Not by name, but made it pretty clear who she was talking about.)

• Like 2
  • Sad 10

5 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

Does non-sexual intimate partner violence count for this thread? Because Melissa Benoist just outed Blake Jenner as an abusive piece of shit. (Not by name, but made it pretty clear who she was talking about.)

Forgive me, but I’m not sure where “non-sexual intimate partner” applies to Melissa Benoist & Blake Jenner. They were married & are now divorced. She has, apparently somewhat recently, gone on to marry someone else who is in Supergirl with her. I forget his name. But, without following either of them, I saw at least their engagement announcement, from each of their Instagram pages (I think), on my social media because someone else I follow passed it on.

I finally had to break down and google because I had just assumed that Blake Jenner was one of Caitlin Jenner’s B named sons.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Like 10
  • Laugh 8

On 11/29/2019 at 8:16 AM, methodwriter85 said:

I meant domestic violence without sexual coercion.

TBH I am not sure that there wasn’t a sexual element. Her account of the abuser carrying her to the bath after attacking her set off red flags to me. 😥.

Edited by Pink ranger
  • Like 1
  • Sad 10

13 minutes ago, Jaded said:

Judge Allows Annabella Sciorra to Testify Against Harvey Weinstein

https://variety.com/2019/biz/news/weinstein-expert-testimony-judge-ruling-1203418372/

I think I like this judge. 

Weinstein’s defense team asked permission last month to call Deborah Davis, a psychologist at the University of Nevada at Reno who often testifies for the defense. Weinstein’s attorneys wanted Davis to testify about how sexual assault and trauma can lead to false memories.

They also wanted her to tell the jury about “voluntary unwanted sex,” which they described as “sex that is undesired, but that the person chooses to engage in,” and how that can lead to false memories, as well as the issue of consent and misunderstandings about sexual intentions.

In his ruling, Burke allowed Davis to testify about “the general operation of human memory,” including factors that can cause memories to be distorted. But he barred her from discussing sexual assault, “voluntary unwanted sex,” misunderstandings about consent, or other issues related to sex crimes. He found that those issues lacked sufficient consensus in the scientific community to present to the jury.

• Like 12
  • Useful 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Pink ranger said:

“ Voluntary unwanted sex”- oh hell no 🤬.

Just fancy lawyer talk for the old trope that, if the woman doesn't resist physically, it means she really wants it, no matter what she says.  Baloney.

• Like 6
  • Sad 10

There is no confusion about consent.   If she feels forced, she is not freely consenting.   That is like 1st year law school stuff.

But you know she is making big bucks out of peddling this bullshit to wealth defense clients.   A good question would be, how successful is this as a defense strategy?   Bet her client base would dry up if it knew.

• Like 13

Why has Miss Davis been allowed to keep her evident tenure and, for that matter, her credentials as a therapist? It seems as though she's pitched a bunch of double-speak here.

I wouldn't be surprised if she doesn't have a single female friend - and  it's possible that her female relatives may believe that she can't be trusted any further than they could throw a building. 

• Like 6

I suppose the term does actually refer to something that exists, the "pity fuck" in the vernacular. But it sure as hell wouldn't apply to bowing to pressure from a prospective or current employer with the power to make or break your career!

• Like 8

18 hours ago, Anela said:

Voluntary unwanted sex? WTF?

Just to clarify there is a difference between:

"Not tonight, honey, I'm not into it...oh, all right let's go."

and

"Have sex with me now or you lose your job."

and if you don't pick up that difference, you are either A) an idiot, B) a rapist, or C) a rapist's lawyer.

• Like 21

3 hours ago, Lugal said:

Just to clarify there is a difference between:

"Not tonight, honey, I'm not into it...oh, all right let's go."

and

"Have sex with me now or you lose your job."

and if you don't pick up that difference, you are either A) an idiot, B) a rapist, or C) a rapist's lawyer.

I think only the last two apply, unless I missed something. I suppose the first example would be Whoopi Goldberg with her, "it wasn't 'rape' rape". 

• Sad 4

15 hours ago, Vermicious Knid said:

Epstein and Prince Andrew accuser Virginia Giuffre gave her own interview on British TV. She doesn't mince words and calls Andrew out for lying.

Ironic that Miss Giuffre who,as far as I know, had no previous experience with television, gave a far more believable account which added up a infinitely more than the Duke of York's. And let's not forget that not only had the Duke of York been given lifetime training to spin stuff AND had a large team of lawyers, spokespeople, etc. at his disposal but he'd also had a great deal of time to prepare for his televised claim- yet even with ALL that on in his corner, STILL managed  to completely blow it in virtually everyone's eyes! 

• Like 7

39 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

That guy's rap sheet is going to be crazy long when all is said and done. 

When all is said and done? It probably already is crazy long. Just saying.

• Like 10

Harvey Weinstein has violated bail by mishandling ankle bracelet – prosecutor

Harvey Weinstein has violated his bail conditions by mishandling his electronic ankle monitor, sometimes going hours at a time unaccounted for, a New York prosecutor argued on Friday.

I'm sure it was all just an honest mistake. Maybe it got wet when he was taking a shower. But even more maddening,

Prosecutor Joan Illuzzi spoke at a pre-trial hearing for Weinstein and asked the judge to increase his bail from $1m to $5m. Prosecutors accuse him of leaving at home a piece of the monitoring technology that keeps the ankle bracelet activated.

So the guy goes off the grid (apparently multiple times) for hours and nobody thinks "flight risk"? I'm pretty sure that if you are poor, prosecutors aren't all "No harm no foul. Just pay more money." Your ass goes to jail.

• Like 22

On 12/6/2019 at 1:43 PM, xaxat said:

Harvey Weinstein has violated bail by mishandling ankle bracelet – prosecutor

I'm sure it was all just an honest mistake. Maybe it got wet when he was taking a shower. But even more maddening,

So the guy goes off the grid (apparently multiple times) for hours and nobody thinks "flight risk"? I'm pretty sure that if you are poor, prosecutors aren't all "No harm no foul. Just pay more money." Your ass goes to jail.

Pretty much.   Although it's 2019, they don't have better ankle monitoring technology so someone doesn't have to remember to bring the other piece?    How many times have people forgotten their phones?   

But yeah, his ass should be in jail for bail violations.

• Like 13

Maybe they could give Weinstein the Epstein suite at jail?    

Who decided that Weinstein wouldn't find a way to flee the country, if he gets closer to trial?  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 8
  • Useful 2

6 hours ago, merylinkid said:

Pretty much.   Although it's 2019, they don't have better ankle monitoring technology so someone doesn't have to remember to bring the other piece?    How many times have people forgotten their phones?

I don't know about the tech used in monitoring bracelets. But Weinstein is smart. He hires people who are smart. I think they figured out a way to beat the system. 

No tech is perfect. But many times, people with the right skills can find a way to get around it.

• Like 6

I wouldn't rule out the possibility of him handing a roll of cash to whoever was responsible for setting the monitor device up and saying "be a shame if it malfunctioned."

• Like 5

On 12/8/2019 at 2:18 PM, xaxat said:

But Weinstein is smart. He hires people who are smart. I think they figured out a way to beat the system. 

He is such a turd. A big, fat turd.

• Like 8

It’s been a busy news day. 
Cuba Gooding Jr. Now Faces Unwanted Touching Accusations From 22 Women

Bill Cosby loses appeal to overturn sexual assault conviction

Harvey Weinstein to have back surgery before rape trial - lawyer He was injured in an accident in August but now needs to have surgery less than a month before his trial starts and right after they threaten to increase his bail. Sure, Jan. 

• Like 6
  • Surprise 3

https://pagesix.com/2019/12/11/harvey-weinstein-film-company-reach-25-million-settlement-with-accusers/?_ga=2.269034677.552023489.1576096676-2039470352.1576096676

So if I'm reading this right, this deal means he would not acknowledge any wrongdoing, and the funds would not be paid out of his own pocket. So he's not being punished and he's basically buying his way out of taking any accountability. This is tentative so we'll have to see what happens.

• Sad 10

2 hours ago, MaggieG said:

https://pagesix.com/2019/12/11/harvey-weinstein-film-company-reach-25-million-settlement-with-accusers/?_ga=2.269034677.552023489.1576096676-2039470352.1576096676

So if I'm reading this right, this deal means he would not acknowledge any wrongdoing, and the funds would not be paid out of his own pocket. So he's not being punished and he's basically buying his way out of taking any accountability. This is tentative so we'll have to see what happens.

Yep. From what I read in the New York Times story this is the Weinstein Company board and insurance company trying to end their liability in future lawsuits. Some of the women are planning on challenging it. 

• Like 5

And the women wouldn’t even get all the money.  $12M to lawyers, and none of them getting more than $500k.

Edited by izabella
  • Sad 8

21 hours ago, Dani said:

Yep. From what I read in the New York Times story this is the Weinstein Company board and insurance company trying to end their liability in future lawsuits. Some of the women are planning on challenging it. 

And a couple of the women have said they signed off on it because it was really their only chance to receive any compensation.  The studio is bankrupt, its assets are being liquidated to settle all of its other debts.  The insurance companies were the only sure thing and they could only pay out to the limits of the policy.  If the women didn't take this offer, they could then go to court and sue and, by the time it was all adjudicated, there would be no assets left.  They could get in line with all the others who will never get paid.

As for Weinstein's personal fortune, just as he has the best lawyers, he's got the best financial advisors including his divorce attorney.  I would expect that the bulk of his fortune has been locked up tight and won't be available to settle any court judgments should any of the women sue him in civil court: trusts funds for his kids, overseas investments, etc.  The average civil case takes around 4 years to get to trial and the plaintiff's attorneys generally take a third off the top after deducting their expensed which will be in the millions since they're pursuing a guy with virtually unlimited resources to fight them.  The women who continue to fight for a settlement are likely to get nothing in the end.  Remember that the Goldman family sued OJ Simpson in civil court, and, by the time they won; he had made sure that there wasn't a dime available to them.  They've only gotten a tiny fraction of the award while he continues to live a life of luxury.

• Like 1
  • Sad 8

On 12/10/2019 at 5:18 PM, Dani said:

It’s been a busy news day. 
Cuba Gooding Jr. Now Faces Unwanted Touching Accusations From 22 Women

Bill Cosby loses appeal to overturn sexual assault conviction

Harvey Weinstein to have back surgery before rape trial - lawyer He was injured in an accident in August but now needs to have surgery less than a month before his trial starts and right after they threaten to increase his bail. Sure, Jan. 

Yikes. Not good news about Cuba and Bill.

Edited by MikaelaArsenault