Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Drogo

Hollywood's Dirty Little (Open) Secrets: Harvey Weinstein and Others Like Him

1 hour ago, ParadoxLost said:

I don't think it says that.  I think his job was 2nd assistant cameraman.  

Yes, per the linked article, a 2nd assistant cameraman made multiple allegations against his supervisor, the director of photography (not a second person with the title of assistant cameraman filed suit against the same DP as seems to be the OP's interpretation).

• Like 1

Despite the fact, by her own admission, she herself had been the victim of sexual abuse and seems to believe the claims of those who have accused Mr. Allen of sexual abuse, Samantha Morton does NOT regret working for him because he was nice to her on the movie Sweet and Lowdown (1999).  

https://www.yahoo.com/samantha-morton-doesnt-regret-working-woody-allen-213547277.html

So, she knew about the allegations seven years prior but decided to work for him anyway AND even all these years later and her seeming to BELIEVE said allegations re minor children, that's somewhat incidental to the fact that he was nice to HER! BOO!!!!!!!!

Edited by Blergh · Reason: emphasis
  • Sad 7

5 hours ago, Blergh said:

So, she knew about the allegations seven years prior but decided to work for him anyway AND even all these years later and her seeming to BELIEVE said allegations re minor children, that's somewhat incidental to the fact that he was nice to HER! BOO!!!!!!!!

That is the most self involved thing I have ever heard. He's a horrible human being but he was nice to me so I don't really care. UGH

• Like 7

10 hours ago, GaT said:

Yes, if you're name dropping to prove you're not a threat to young girls, Michael Jackson is absolutely the name you should use.  SMH

There's also the 'justification' that since the allegations are only involving 5 victims over 30 years; it hardly counts as a pattern of abuse and therefore he deserves bail.  I wonder how many women R Kelly thinks it is ok to assault before he needs to be removed from society? 6? 60? 600?

• Like 9
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, GaT said:

Yes, if you're name dropping to prove you're not a threat to young girls, Michael Jackson is absolutely the name you should use.  SMH

To be fair, I never heard so much as a hint that Michael Jackson might be a threat to young girls. Maybe that's the "logic" R. Kelly is using?

• Like 5
  • Laugh 3

58 minutes ago, Vermicious Knid said:

Extra host leaves over misconduct allegations.

Isn't this the second one? I think Extra was the program that also fired Billy Bush.

Billy Bush was fired from The Today Show. He going to be hosting Extra in the fall. Mario Lopez is also currently a co-host on Extra. I can only imagine how toxic an environment that must be. 

Edited by Dani
  • Like 7

Olympic medal-winning figure skater Ashley Wagner has come forward about being sexually assaulted at 17 by fellow skater John Coughlin (who committed suicide earlier this year after being suspended due to multiple allegations.) She's written about it here:

There also was this: I was a young skater coming up through the ranks in a judged sport. I didn't want to stir the pot. I didn't want to add anything to my career that would make me seem undesirable or dramatic. I didn't want to be known in figure skating as the athlete who would cause trouble. And I genuinely didn't feel like anyone would listen to me anyway. Everyone really liked this guy. I even liked him. 

How could someone so beloved do such a bad thing? As I think back on it, this is the most important part of my story. Good people can hurt you too. Just because someone is nice, just because they seem to do all the right things, just because they make people laugh, doesn’t mean they are incapable of hurt or abuse. No one is all good or all bad, but the good parts can’t justify the hurt that is caused. 

I now know that regardless of the events of that night, I got into that bed thinking I was safe to just fall asleep. He was the one who took away that safety. I went into that house just wanting to have fun with my friends. He was the one who shattered all of that. Going to the party in no way, shape or form gave that man permission to touch me. I never once said anything that made him think that it was okay to take control of my body away from me. My presence at a party did not imply my consent. I wish I could have learned that sooner. The years of guilt I have felt should not have rested on me, but on him.  

Edited by slf
  • Like 3
  • Sad 24

So they're keeping Weatherly on Bull, despite allegations that were on video.    And right after Weatherly admitted that on NCIS he used to take his pants off as a joke (I'm avoiding the obvious joke about equipment size being a joke, but feel free to take some good jabs at him).   Anything for the almighty dollar CBS, and the production company.    The sad thing is that if his popularity remains with the audience, he'll get show after show.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 3
  • Sad 17

2 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Anything for the almighty dollar CBS, and the production company.

I kind of admire the honesty. But TV is not on an island, if you produce revenue, you will get far more chances than if you do not. And that's in any industry.

• Like 5

On 8/1/2019 at 11:42 PM, Dani said:

Billy Bush was fired from The Today Show. He going to be hosting Extra in the fall. Mario Lopez is also currently a co-host on Extra. I can only imagine how toxic an environment that must be. 

I think I also said this somewhere upthread. Mario Lopez will be hosting Access, formerly known as Access Hollywood, starting this fall. He’s replacing another former Today Show host, Natalie Morales. She got dumped from Access after what’s considered the end of this TV season. So there’ll be no co-hosting by Bush & Lopez since they’ll be on different shows.

• Like 1

Sorry if these have already been mentioned.

A lot of people on social media are talking about how Lena seems to get away with this shit (previous examples of her behaviour is how she sexually assaulted her sister and wrote about it, and then accused OBJ of all sorts of motivations/thoughts he didn't have and things he didn't do for a Lenny article.)  Definitely a lack of consent going on in these situations.

https://www.eonline.com/news/974253/lena-dunham-explains-why-she-flashed-brad-pitt-her-underwear

https://www.cosmopolitan.com/entertainment/celebs/a28569523/lena-dunham-flashed-underwear-kissed-brad-pitt-once-upon-a-time-in-hollywood/

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Eh, I hate Lena with the heat of a thousand suns but in her story about showing him her tattoo she said she asked him if he wanted to see it and told him where it was and while that one photo is everywhere even that article acknowledges it could be an awkward angle. I find it weird that is the the only one out there not the actual kiss.

I mean she has said and done many problematic things around consent but these two things I don’t really agree.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Like 3

Hm. What with this and the persistent BTS problems on Castle, I'm honestly starting to side-eye Nathan Fillion a bit.

Edited: He's an executive producer on The Rookie and the actress in question played his partner, so they shared a lot of scenes.

Edited by 2727
  • Like 7
  • Useful 2
  • Sad 1

Quoting from the article linked by @Robert Lynch:

"She claims that she had reported inappropriate behavior by the hair department and a recurring guest star to executive producer/showrunner Alexi Hawley but her claims were not investigated, and the recurring guest star was allowed to continue, leading to her decision to leave the show, produced by Entertainment One."

I do wonder why NF didn't interfere. Back from Firefly days, he seemed such a nice guy. Not that I know whether he would have that power.

20 minutes ago, supposebly said:

Quoting from the article linked by @Robert Lynch:

"She claims that she had reported inappropriate behavior by the hair department and a recurring guest star to executive producer/showrunner Alexi Hawley but her claims were not investigated, and the recurring guest star was allowed to continue, leading to her decision to leave the show, produced by Entertainment One."

I do wonder why NF didn't interfere. Back from Firefly days, he seemed such a nice guy. Not that I know whether he would have that power.

Based on her statement it looks like NF might not have known. She says that she called a meeting during the hiatus that included Hawley and two other producers and that “It was clear to all present in the meeting that the Showrunner had not shared my reports with the any of the producers.”

I’m curious about who the recurring guest star was. Based on what she has said someone might be able to figure it out but I didn’t watch the show so I have no clue. 

• Like 3

..and I liked her and the dynamic she had with Fillon. It wasn't an important show but a nice, fluffy cop show that seemed fun..I doubt I'll watch Season 2 now.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Dani said:

I’m curious about who the recurring guest star was. Based on what she has said someone might be able to figure it out but I didn’t watch the show so I have no clue. 

Yeah, I wonder who it is too. I quit the show when they

Spoiler

killed the chief (a woman)

and now I feel even better about that decision.

• Like 4

I was looking it up and I saw one actor on the last episode that had been on several and if I am recalling right, had seens with Afton...Michael Beach...that's my guess..

• Like 1

Somebody in the TV Line comment section did point out that the order the episodes air in doesn't always equate to when they were produced, so there's that to consider, too, in trying to figure out who could've done this.

I haven't seen this show, but good on her for walking away from that bullshit and openly calling it out as she has. Here's hoping her making this public leads to the right kind of punishment for these creeps. 

• Like 5

She mentions here that the head of hair and makeup was only fired after they sexually assaulted her at the wrap party, and not because of the year of racial discrimination and bullying.

I haven't watched the show, but thought about it, due to Fillion, and Mercedes Mason. Now I doubt that I'll watch it at all.

• Like 1
  • Sad 8

Casual Rookie watcher; doubt I'll be back after all this. Williamson was really one of the stronger actors on the show, and her character one of the most palatable. Really sad this happened.

In terms of the guest star, I think there were four recurring roles with male actors: Shawn Ashmore, Michael Beach, Demetrius Grosse, and Currie Graham, and I'm pretty sure Williamson and Ashmore didn't really share screen time, but I could be remembering that wrong. All four seem to fit the narrative of having episodes in the middle of the series and then popping up again at the end. 

Edited by dargosmydaddy · Reason: fixing names
  • Like 4

I liked The Rookie, but my interest was waning because the show seemed to change in the back half of the season.  Williamson's character was a pleasant surprise (i had never seen her in anything before) and quickly became a favorite.  Since I'd already been apathetic about continuing on S2, this actually pushed me over to not watching it at all.

Prior to  #MeToo, she would probably have suffered along in silence even gritting her teeth and continuing on in the show.  Now in the midst of the movement, she is able to go public and tell her story confident that she would be heard and even believed.  And it also most likely gave her the strength to walk  --something that a) she would never have been able to do even three years ago b) would probably have been pilloried if she had done so.

• Like 16

I hope Williamson is able to walk right onto the set of a new show that will let her work without having to deal with that sort of bullshit.

Most of the speculation I've heard has been about Currie Graham, but I believe Danny Nucci was also a recurring guest actor who's worked for Hawley before.  Not having watched the show myself I don't have a feel for who Williamson might have had scenes with. (I'm just crossing my fingers that it wasn't Shawn Ashmore!)

Edited by Bruinsfan
  • Like 8

What is really sad to me is that it wasn't just one person she was having an issue with. Sounds like there was an actor and the hair/makeup person. What a horribly toxic environment that would be to work in, where it isn't just one person slipping under the radar but a culture of "we don't give a shit" letting this happen. 

I really hope this frees her up to do a better show or movie or whatever she wants to do next. 

As much as I love Nathan Fillion and don't want to see a bunch of crew lose their jobs, I kind of hope the show crashes and burns after this. 

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, Mabinogia said:

What a horribly toxic environment that would be to work in, where it isn't just one person slipping under the radar but a culture of "we don't give a shit" letting this happen. 

Which is especially egregious considering we're not talking about a show that's been running for years here. This is a brand new show. Sure, some of the specific people working on it, along with network execs, have been in the industry for years, but you know full well they've all still heard the news stories about shitty and toxic sets rolling out these past few years, and have seen numerous celebrities sharing their stories about the harassment and abuse they've suffered. They're in an era where they're well aware they wouldn't be able to get away with this stuff as easily as other shows would've in the past. 

And yet they still allowed it to happen anyway. They really, truly have no excuse. 

• Like 13

8 hours ago, DearEvette said:

Prior to  #MeToo, she would probably have suffered along in silence even gritting her teeth and continuing on in the show.  Now in the midst of the movement, she is able to go public and tell her story confident that she would be heard and even believed.  And it also most likely gave her the strength to walk  --something that a) she would never have been able to do even three years ago b) would probably have been pilloried if she had done so.

Very true. But then I wonder how effective is the #MeToo movement if we’re still hearing about toxic environments such as these with those who are being harassed being forced out of a job and these shows and their abusers are continuing on without consequence. 

It doesn’t seem like real change is happening. Or maybe it is but not fast enough? It’s disappointing, but also infuriating. 

Edited by Enero
  • Like 7

This situation with Afton Williamson and The Rookie shows that not enough has changed in Hollywood. She made the report and absolutely nothing was done to address the situation. It took her quitting and going public for the showrunner, producers, and ABC to take any action. For fuck's sake, it is a hair person AND a guest star. These people can be replaced on a dime and yet they ignored the complaints of racism, bullying, and sexual harassment until the sexual assault occurred. Making it even worse it is an African American actress.

ABC Chief Addresses Misconduct Allegations By ‘The Rookie’ Co-Star Afton Williamson – TCA:

https://deadline.com/2019/08/abc-programming-chief-response-the-rookie-co-star-afton-williamson-misconduct-allegations-1202661385/

‘The Rookie’ Producer eOne Investigating Co-Star Afton Williamson’s Allegations Of Racism & Sexual Misconduct:

https://deadline.com/2019/08/the-rookie-producer-eone-investigating-afton-williamson-allegations-racism-sexual-misconduct-1202661122/

Edited by SimoneS
  • Like 8

1 minute ago, Enero said:

It doesn’t seem like real change is happening. Or maybe it’s, but not fast enough? It’s disappointing, but also infuriating. 

Change is happening, but no, not fast enough. A few years ago this wouldn't have even made the news, it would have been swept under the rug. At least the victims of harassment are starting to have a voice. It isn't much, but it is a step in the right direction. 

Unfortunately it is going to take the viewing public finally quitting these shows to actually make a difference. So long as people keep watching shows like The Rookie, that have these stories of harassment coming out, the networks will still air them, the victims will be removed and someone more desperate for the job who will "know to keep their mouth shut" will be put in their place. 

It is hard, because in order to make a difference we all have to rally against this behavior and unfortunately not enough people are aware and/or care about the issue. But hey, at least people are speaking out. It is going to take a lot more before real change happens, but every change starts with one brave person willing to speak out. 

• Like 8

1 minute ago, Enero said:

Very true. But then I wonder how effective is the #MeToo movement I’d we’re still hearing about toxic environments such as these on set with those who are being harassed been forced out of job and these shows and their abusers are continuing on without consequence. 

It doesn’t seem like real change is happening. Or maybe it’s, but not fast enough? It’s disappointing, but also infuriating. 

Sadly I don't think this is a movement that will see fast, rapid change. Sexual harassment and abuse has such a long, deep, pervasive history in society in general, so it's going to take quite some time to weed out all the creeps and fix the system so people don't have to deal with this anymore. And unfortunately, there probably will be some creeps who'll never be held accountable for what they've done along the way as well. Most big movements of this sort will always have their "one step forward, two steps back" moments. 

That doesn't mean the movement isn't effective, though. Any positive change, no matter how big or small, is always welcome, and I think as time goes on, we will start to see more and more significant, positive outcomes as a result of this movement's efforts. 

• Like 13

6 minutes ago, Robert Lynch said:

Sheryl Crow mad at a lot of people while watching MJ documentary

So she knows and did nothing to stop it. Horrible.

That is not fair. There was nothing that Sheryl Crow could have done. The only people who might have had the chance to stop Michael Jackson was his family, but I am not sure what could they could have because of all his money, success, power, and influence. 

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, SimoneS said:

That is not fair. There was nothing that Sheryl Crow could have done. The only people who might have had the chance to stop Michael Jackson was his family, but I am not sure what could they could have because of all his money, success, power, and influence. 

That’s true. I can’t blame Sheryl. However, I thought it was interesting that he didn’t know who she was. I thought she hung around with him when she became famous. Guess I was wrong.

Edited by Robert Lynch
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Robert Lynch said:

However, I thought it was interesting that he didn’t know who she was. I thought she hung around with him when she became famous. Guess I was wrong.

IDK, that interview was confusing because she did say they hung out together, she was with him in his room alone hanging out, they were at amusement park together, blah blah, but he doesn't know who she is. WTF? It felt like there was a good deal of backpeddling and distancing going on in that article. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

Sadly I don't think this is a movement that will see fast, rapid change. Sexual harassment and abuse has such a long, deep, pervasive history in society in general, so it's going to take quite some time to weed out all the creeps and fix the system so people don't have to deal with this anymore. And unfortunately, there probably will be some creeps who'll never be held accountable for what they've done along the way as well. Most big movements of this sort will always have their "one step forward, two steps back" moments. 

That doesn't mean the movement isn't effective, though. Any positive change, no matter how big or small, is always welcome, and I think as time goes on, we will start to see more and more significant, positive outcomes as a result of this movement's efforts. 

I agree. Its not that the movement isn't effective. Its just that its everywhere and we have to do more to hold people accountable. We have to make them because they won't. They really don't care. Everywhere but especially in Hollywood they've made it clear they don't care what the actor or hair stylist does just money and keeping the show on the air. In other words the money. They could have fired and replaced that person in a second. CBS kept Bull on the air. Was there ever really any doubt that any of these shows or networks would do the wrong thing? Of course not. I don't want staff to lose their jobs, but you know who I want to see losing their jobs? How about the executives that knew and did nothing or in ABC's case waited it out. I want them to lose their jobs, I want anyone else who covered it up lose their jobs and the ones responsible lose their jobs. I'd like to see all of them held responsible in a court of law. Even in this case where it would have been the most easy thing in the world to replace the person who does hair and they'd get all the praise and good PR from it, they still chose to do the wrong thing. 

• Like 8

56 minutes ago, Mabinogia said:

Change is happening, but no, not fast enough. A few years ago this wouldn't have even made the news, it would have been swept under the rug. At least the victims of harassment are starting to have a voice. It isn't much, but it is a step in the right direction. 

Exactly.  I agree it is slow (too slow imo) , but it is progress.  Let's face it, any sort of change is going to get pushback, people will feel defensive, and become entrenched in their postitions.  Also, frankly the reason so much harassment has gone on so long even though you now hear about how many people knew was because of power and fear.  It is difficult to dismantle those sorts of power structures.

But in Afton's case it is a positive, incremental move forward.  I mean, think about it, she is hardly a household name.  No way would she even have dared to go public pre-#MeToo.  Now not only has the movement emboldened her to speak, it also has turned a laser focus onto the EPs of show -- lots of people are calling out Alexei Hawley and calling into question his tenure as showrunner on Castle and reviving some of the stories that had come out previously  about the treatment of Stana Katic.  Also, it has become a big topic at ABC's panel at the TCAs with critics pressing the president of the network on this. Not just the showrunners and the EPs, but the president. 

Sure Afton isn't on the show any longer, but she chose to leave and she probably did so because she felt at least she'd be heard when she told her story, rather that having to swallow it and become yet another unheard of, unreported sexual harassment case.   Also it is a fair bet she wouldn't be blackballed in the industry which might have happened in the past as well had she spoken out.  So another reason why she might have felt it was safe to leave.

• Like 7

36 minutes ago, Mabinogia said:

IDK, that interview was confusing because she did say they hung out together, she was with him in his room alone hanging out, they were at amusement park together, blah blah, but he doesn't know who she is. WTF? It felt like there was a good deal of backpeddling and distancing going on in that article. 

That’s because it’s a poorly written summary of two different statements a decade apart. She was on tour with him for almost 2 years and that he didn’t know her name for “quite a long time” and then she didn’t have any contact after the tour ended. 

The hanging out once and Disneyland story was her reminiscing about the tour just after he died. 

1 hour ago, SimoneS said:

This situation with Afton Williamson and The Rookie shows that not enough has changed in Hollywood. She made the report and absolutely nothing was done to address the situation. It took her quitting and going public for the showrunner, producers, and ABC to take any action. For fuck's sake, it is a hair person AND a guest star. These people can be replaced on a dime and yet they ignored the complaints of racism, bullying, and sexual harassment until the sexual assault occurred. Making it even worse it is an African American actress.

Not to defend the studio or ABC but according to ABC’s statement the investigation was started in June which seems to be the first time anyone other then the show runner was made aware. Of course they really didn’t have a choice at that point because a Union rep was also in that meeting. 

No matter what the investigation finds, at a minimum, the show runner needs to be fired for not taking the complaints seriously and letting it continue for so long. 

• Like 4
  • Useful 2