Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Drogo

Hollywood's Dirty Little (Open) Secrets: Harvey Weinstein and Others Like Him

Recommended Posts

Quote

There really are people so rich and so privileged that they have no clue what it is like to be vulnerable to predators.

I'm not sure that would be true of someone who was once a driven, impoverished, unconventional-looking and exceptional teen-aged girl from an outer borough, determined to make it in show business in mid-century NYC. "It didn't kill me" may be something that Streisand has felt the need to remind herself, throughout her life.  

  • Like 7
  • Useful 5

Share this post


Link to post

1 hour ago, Pallas said:

I'm not sure that would be true of someone who was once a driven, impoverished, unconventional-looking and exceptional teen-aged girl from an outer borough, determined to make it in show business in mid-century NYC. "It didn't kill me" may be something that Streisand has felt the need to remind herself, throughout her life.  

That raises an interesting point me Miss Streisand's possible MO here. However; if she herself DID wind up having been the victim of criminal acts when she was a minor, that makes it somewhat more infuriating that she'd attempt to minimize the impact on others who had been minors at the time of the claimed criminal acts against them!

Also, she had had a riveting performance in Nuts  (1987) about someone who's life had been horribly scarred by child abuse to say nothing of how she had starred in  directed the film Prince of Tides(1991) in which the audience was confronted with how horrific it was for a grown man to have been  a boy who had gone through unspeakable criminal acts. 

 I mean BOTH these productions were still somewhat 'cutting edge' in addressing the subject of criminal acts against children at the time (as disturbing as they were for many [myself included] to view) . However; instead of wholeheartedly supporting the late Mr. Jackson's evident victims much less condemning him for criminal acts, she made excuses for him (and even went so far as to try to shift the blame to his DNA which SHOULD make every person even vaguely related to him livid). 

Edited by Blergh
  • Like 12

Share this post


Link to post

When I read of Streisand's comments, my first thought was that she must have severe cognitive decline. That is the ONLY explanation I can come up with.  Her follow up remarks make no sense and don't convince me otherwise.  For a person to think like what she said originally, BOGGLES the mind.  But, whatever, the reason, I don't think that she has any idea what she did for/'to her own name.  Even though she's a true legend, I can't imagine that she is going to be invited to any kind of events, awards, tributes, etc. for a very long time.  Maybe, never.  From what I hear she doesn't like public events anyway, so, I suppose that won't matter to her. But, her ignorant comments have tainted her name and that's unfortunate.  I'm not sure why celebrities think there is something to be gained by defending MJ.  They just don't get it.

Much of the same goes for Diana Ross. She's toast too, imo.  For her to feel compelled to PRAISE this wonderful force!  OMG.....she has to be off mentally. To tell people who were abused to Stop in the name of love......after being sexually abused?  Boggles the mind.  She's toast, in my mind now too. 

https://www.post-gazette.com/ae/music/2019/03/24/Michael-Jackson-alleged-child-sexual-abuse-Diana-Ross-Barbra-Streisand/stories/201903240180

Will there come a day when when MJ name and body of work is mentioned and the listener will say, "Meh..."    

  • Like 8
  • Useful 1
  • Surprise 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I'm not sure why celebrities think there is something to be gained by defending MJ.  They just don't get it.

I don't get it either. If they were saying "we understand he did terrible things and unfortunately this will tarnish his legend, but he was a great performer. Too bad he screwed it all up with his behaviour" or something, then sure, but telling the people he abused to basically suck it up because he was a legend, because he was a great performer, that is forking cold. 

  • Like 24
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 3/24/2019 at 9:32 AM, Pallas said:

I'm not sure that would be true of someone who was once a driven, impoverished, unconventional-looking and exceptional teen-aged girl from an outer borough, determined to make it in show business in mid-century NYC. "It didn't kill me" may be something that Streisand has felt the need to remind herself, throughout her life.  

I think excessive adulation changes people, and rarely for the better.

  • Like 19
  • Useful 2

Share this post


Link to post

This shocking film by Amy Berg (Oscar for "Deliver Us From Evil"), couldn't find distributors in Hollywood.  No one would touch it because many of these people are still working there and don't want people to see it.  It's essentially buried on YouTube under a different name  but I found it on Vimeo. 


An Open Secret: Inside The Truth of Hollywood Pedophilia

Edited by Razzberry
  • Like 1
  • Surprise 1
  • Sad 6

Share this post


Link to post

The "Joe Biden is handsy" story is getting a bit of traction in the media this week (and should), but anyone who is surprised by it has been living under a damned rock.

Interpreted by the women in question as being sexual or not, it's still creepy and intrusive, not to mention entirely tone deaf in today's political climate. He's apparently incapable of change despite a decade or more of public approbation.

Edited by 2727
  • Like 14

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, 2727 said:

The "Joe Biden is handsy story is getting a bit of traction in the media this week (and should), but anyone who is surprised by it has been living under a damned rock.

Interpreted by the women in question as being sexual or not, it's still creepy and intrusive, not to mention entirely tone deaf in today's political climate. He's apparently incapable of change despite a decade or more of public approbation and I'd never vote for him solely because of it.

Biden is too damned old and irrelevant to run, anyway. Give it up, handsy grandpa. 

  • Like 12
  • Laugh 5

Share this post


Link to post
54 minutes ago, 2727 said:

The "Joe Biden is handsy story is getting a bit of traction in the media this week (and should), but anyone who is surprised by it has been living under a damned rock.

I don't know why he thought he could run without these women coming forward; he's been called "like your creepy uncle" for more than a decade. He's known for getting way too close and intimate with women. 

  • Like 15

Share this post


Link to post

4 hours ago, 2727 said:

The "Joe Biden is handsy story is getting a bit of traction in the media this week (and should), but anyone who is surprised by it has been living under a damned rock.

Interpreted by the women in question as being sexual or not, it's still creepy and intrusive, not to mention entirely tone deaf in today's political climate. He's apparently incapable of change despite a decade or more of public approbation.

Yup.  At the very least he's a space invader, but it doesn't matter if he's a true perv or just an idiot since they'll pound him with handsy grampa ads relentlessly from the moment he jumps in the race.

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post
13 hours ago, slf said:

I don't know why he thought he could run without these women coming forward; he's been called "like your creepy uncle" for more than a decade. He's known for getting way too close and intimate with women. 

I will never forget when the biker chick was almost sitting in his lap and he was all hands and up all on her. Ugh. The press was all fawning over him, while I was grossed out that the Vice President had no freaking boundaries. Just go away, Joe Biden.

  • Like 8
  • Surprise 2

Share this post


Link to post
On ‎4‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 10:27 PM, 2727 said:

The "Joe Biden is handsy" story is getting a bit of traction in the media this week (and should), but anyone who is surprised by it has been living under a damned rock.

Interpreted by the women in question as being sexual or not, it's still creepy and intrusive, not to mention entirely tone deaf in today's political climate. He's apparently incapable of change despite a decade or more of public approbation.

Pretty much what the Pod Save America guys said. They all agreed that Biden probably didn't ever realise he was doing anything creepy, but the power imbalance of these situations meant that no one ever felt able to say they weren't happy with him being handsy and 'affectionate'. Which, by the way, they all kind of ruefully said he was with men as well - backslaps, arm around the shoulder etc.

And they called him out for not apologising and acknowledging that his behaviour could have been troubling for people. I think it's just more evidence that Biden is the man of yesterday. He's not the figurehead anyone should be looking at, to take America into the future.

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

Pretty much what the Pod Save America guys said. They all agreed that Biden probably didn't ever realise he was doing anything creepy, but the power imbalance of these situations meant that no one ever felt able to say they weren't happy with him being handsy and 'affectionate'. Which, by the way, they all kind of ruefully said he was with men as well - backslaps, arm around the shoulder etc.

And they called him out for not apologising and acknowledging that his behaviour could have been troubling for people. I think it's just more evidence that Biden is the man of yesterday. He's not the figurehead anyone should be looking at, to take America into the future.

I feel like the PSA guys missed the point a little. Joe Biden is a hugger but that’s not at all what women are talking about. He constantly sticks his hands and face in women’s hair. Show me the video of him doing that to a man. He was very aware that it wouldn’t be appropriate with a guy but somehow thinks it’s different with women which tells me something about how he sees women. 

  • Like 13

Share this post


Link to post
On 4/2/2019 at 6:25 PM, slf said:

I don't know why he thought he could run without these women coming forward; he's been called "like your creepy uncle" for more than a decade. He's known for getting way too close and intimate with women. 

The WOMEN are being villified for coming forward.   Which no surprise.   But they are even being accused of in the pay of Russia (more collusion to keep a Dem from winning) or Bernie Supporters.     That this story was known a year ago why come forward NOW?   Well they are coming forward now because he is leaning more towards a run for President.   Better it come out now so people can decide before the primaries.   Also as others have noted, this story HAS been out there, its just no one cared to listen until he made it clear he is likely running.   

But what do I know?   I haven't liked the guy since it came out he plagiarized a paper on law school.

  • Like 10
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post

18 minutes ago, vibeology said:

I feel like the PSA guys missed the point a little. Joe Biden is a hugger but that’s not at all what women are talking about. He constantly sticks his hands and face in women’s hair. Show me the video of him doing that to a man. He was very aware that it wouldn’t be appropriate with a guy but somehow thinks it’s different with women which tells me something about how he sees women. 

I didn't think they were talking about him being a hugger. They repeatedly used the phrase "affectionate and physical", which suggests a range of actions to me. Tommy mentioned that kissing someone on the top of their head was creepy, regardless of the intention, and that Biden wouldn't do that to a man.  And they raised one or two other issues that Biden may have with women, including failing to protect Anita Hill when Republicans attacked her.

They all clearly like Biden, but I liked Jon Lovett's comment that Biden has learned some bad lessons over the years, when he's been able to touch people who either didn't mind, or didn't feel able to say anything. That's the key part that needs to be acknowledged, when people say things like 'well, no one ever complained' or 'oh, that's not sexual. What's your problem?'  It doesn't matter if a hundred other people were fine when you touched them (and you shouldn't assume they were, just because they didn't say anything), you still shouldn't feel able to do it.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

What’s really creepy about the Biden thing is that it’s not just women he’s handsy with, but little girls too. There’s loads of videos of him on twitter where it’s almost like he’s drawn to the little girls in the room like a magnet. Standing behind them, hands on their shoulders, in their hair, whispering in their ears and kissing them. Totally inappropriate and behaviour that should have been called out well before now.

  • Like 6
  • Surprise 1

Share this post


Link to post

On 4/2/2019 at 6:25 PM, slf said:

He's known for getting way too close and intimate with women. 

And men. Washington Post columnist Johnathon Capehart recently talked about a time that Biden celebrated  an event by putting his hands on both of Capehart's shoulders and drew him in so close their foreheads were touching. 

Capehart was also clear to clarify that his situation was different because he's not a woman.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
10 minutes ago, xaxat said:

And men. Washington Post columnist Johnathon Capehart recently talked about a time that Biden celebrated  an event by putting his hands on both of Capehart's shoulders and drew him in so close their foreheads were touching. 

Capehart was also clear to clarify that his situation was different because he's not a woman.

Capehart is also openly gay (as far as I know).

Share this post


Link to post
14 hours ago, merylinkid said:

The WOMEN are being villified for coming forward.   Which no surprise.   But they are even being accused of in the pay of Russia (more collusion to keep a Dem from winning) or Bernie Supporters.     That this story was known a year ago why come forward NOW?   Well they are coming forward now because he is leaning more towards a run for President.   Better it come out now so people can decide before the primaries.   Also as others have noted, this story HAS been out there, its just no one cared to listen until he made it clear he is likely running.   

But what do I know?   I haven't liked the guy since it came out he plagiarized a paper on law school.

I know all of this, my post references his reputation?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Razzberry said:

Bill Cosby furious with his insurance company for settling claims against him. 

"AIG showed that they're a part of the corruption against me" and "makes them look corrupt and exposes my innocence." he says.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/04/05/us/bill-cosby-defamation-suit-settled/index.html

Nah. They ran the numbers and decided you were a bad risk.

(And "exposes" is probably a word you should drop from your vocabulary.)

  • Like 10
  • Laugh 8

Share this post


Link to post
On 3/26/2019 at 5:56 PM, SunnyBeBe said:

When I read of Streisand's comments, my first thought was that she must have severe cognitive decline. That is the ONLY explanation I can come up with.  Her follow up remarks make no sense and don't convince me otherwise.  For a person to think like what she said originally, BOGGLES the mind.  But, whatever, the reason, I don't think that she has any idea what she did for/'to her own name.  Even though she's a true legend, I can't imagine that she is going to be invited to any kind of events, awards, tributes, etc. for a very long time.  Maybe, never.  From what I hear she doesn't like public events anyway, so, I suppose that won't matter to her. But, her ignorant comments have tainted her name and that's unfortunate.  I'm not sure why celebrities think there is something to be gained by defending MJ.  They just don't get it.

Much of the same goes for Diana Ross. She's toast too, imo.  For her to feel compelled to PRAISE this wonderful force!  OMG.....she has to be off mentally. To tell people who were abused to Stop in the name of love......after being sexually abused?  Boggles the mind.  She's toast, in my mind now too. 

https://www.post-gazette.com/ae/music/2019/03/24/Michael-Jackson-alleged-child-sexual-abuse-Diana-Ross-Barbra-Streisand/stories/201903240180

Will there come a day when when MJ name and body of work is mentioned and the listener will say, "Meh..."    

History will remember Michael Jackson as a dangerous pedophile. I hope so.

BTW: If R.Kelly is found not guity I will be so very angry.

Edited by Dorne2.0
  • Like 15

Share this post


Link to post

13 minutes ago, Dorne2.0 said:

History will remember Michael Jackson as a dangerous pedophile. I hope so.

BTW: If R.Kelly is found not guity I will be so very angry.

Same here. I also wish Roman Polanski and Woody Allen would hurry up and cack it already.

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

Same here. I also wish Roman Polanski and Woody Allen would hurry up and cack it already.

I am so busy and I cannot stop thinking abou James, Wade, Gavin and Jordan. Or the women that Kelly is keeping in his cult. I am haunted by those documentaries. I never watched any of Roman Polanski movies other than The Pianist. But seriously with the injustice MJ victims suffered and are suffering (Jordan at least got money to start his life over and to pay the best mental care to try and heal) but Gavin and his family were humiliated and destroyed at his trial. I feel like if R. Kelly walks I might be very depressed.

Edited by Dorne2.0
  • Like 7
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 4/2/2019 at 2:58 PM, Silver Raven said:

Two women are claiming that David Blaine sexually assaulted them, one after hypnotizing her.

https://www.ibtimes.com/david-blaine-accused-sexual-assault-allegedly-hypnotized-one-women-consenting-2781874

I'm not surprised by this. He's always come across as a creeper. 

2 hours ago, Razzberry said:

Bill Cosby furious with his insurance company for settling claims against him. 

"AIG showed that they're a part of the corruption against me" and "makes them look corrupt and exposes my innocence." he says.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/04/05/us/bill-cosby-defamation-suit-settled/index.html

very funny lol GIF
 
  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post

Guys, this is the creepiest documentary I've ever watched. It's about MANBLA and so calle "boy lovers". Did you guys noticed how the blond pedo describes him relationships with kids as beautiful and even talks in a voice not to diffrent to Michael's, like childlike ? The pedo uses the phrase "celestial warm".... I just see a lot in common between the two.

mjeww.jpg

Edited by Dorne2.0
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post

Interesting read. I think the writer is overlooking that, in the case of actors (and comedians), when we view their art we're actually looking at the people themselves. It's a lot harder to distance art from a problematic artist when that's the case. When you're watching a director's film or looking at a painting in a museum it's easier to focus on the art itself.

  • Like 7
  • Useful 4

Share this post


Link to post

That first link scared me for a couple of seconds until I realized the headline would have mentioned Robert Redford by name if it were about him. I barely stifled the NOOOOOOO! in time!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
5 minutes ago, Bruinsfan said:

That first link scared me for a couple of seconds until I realized the headline would have mentioned Robert Redford by name if it were about him. I barely stifled the NOOOOOOO! in time!

I got what you're saying that that IS a relief in itself. However, if Mr. Van Wagenen was the co-founder of the festival synonymous with Mr. Redford, questions arise re how much of Mr. Van Wagenen's post Festival life DID Mr. Redford know about even if the latter's ties supposedly ended in 1993. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

1 hour ago, Spartan Girl said:

And once again I have to apologize on behalf of Michigan. I am so fucking sick of this.

If I read the article correctly, the incident was at the Michigan State/Texas Tech game during the NCAA Final Four, before the Championship Game (because Tech played Virginia for the National Title) & the asswipe who did the heckling was a Texas Tech fan. I don’t even know how he recognized the survivor, as a survivor (if he did—I mean, I doubt they go around wearing T-shirts IDing them as such) or if she &/or her sister (who she was with) were wearing/carrying something IDing them as Michigan State fans & he just thought it’d be cute to chant the name as a psych-out or something since he was a fan of “the opposition” & the crap Nassar pulled was connected with Michigan State.

I don’t necessarily think you, specifically, have anything to apologize for. But the microbe who chose to use Larry Nassar’s name to heckle someone at a basketball game who happened to be a Michigan State fan & a survivor of his crap most certainly does. Too bad he can’t be tracked down now. 

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post
15 minutes ago, BW Manilowe said:

But the microbe who chose to use Larry Nassar’s name to heckle someone at a basketball game who happened to be a Michigan State fan & a survivor of his crap most certainly does. Too bad he can’t be tracked down now. 

I am pretty sure he didn’t heckle her with it he was yelling it in response to the MS fans regular chant and she happened to be in the vicinity. It’s a common shitty thing that hecklers do to bring up something painful or scandalous about the opposing school for instance when Cornell was leading the list of schools with the highest suicide rates opposing fans would chant “suicide school”, etc.

  • Like 4
  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
On 4/18/2019 at 10:10 AM, Blergh said:

I got what you're saying that that IS a relief in itself. However, if Mr. Van Wagenen was the co-founder of the festival synonymous with Mr. Redford, questions arise re how much of Mr. Van Wagenen's post Festival life DID Mr. Redford know about even if the latter's ties supposedly ended in 1993. 

I've thought Redford was pretty sketchy after seeing this interview with Ben Kingsley when he discussed having dinner with Redford and Redford's girlfriend, now wife. Redford's girlfriend sat there being racist and anti-Semitic during dinner. Kingsley said he usually never gave the actor's name, but Kingsley finally felt successful and established enough to spill the beans about the identity of the couple.

  • Useful 1
  • Surprise 8

Share this post


Link to post

I hope the Academy doesn't settle so he has to appear for trial.   

He's hoping all his powerful friends pressure the Academy so he doesn't have to set foot in the US.   I hope if anyone does there is a boycott of their movies.    If they haven't been enabling him all these years he would have faced the consequences long ago.  Heck if he had done his time then, he would have been out long ago.   

  • Like 10
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size