Type keyword(s) to search

Deadpool 2 (2018)

DollEyes
  • Start Topic

2 hours ago, Bruinsfan said:

Doesn't an awful costume make him look MORE like Leifeld-era Shatterstar?

Not really, yeah comics costume was awful but he still looks NOTHING like Shatterstar.

Edited by Morrigan2575
Because awful is not awesome no matter what my phone thinks
  • Love 1
26 minutes ago, Bruinsfan said:

Doesn't an awful costume make him look MORE like Leifeld-era Shatterstar?

13 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Not really, yeah comics costume was awesome but he stilllooks NOTHING like Shatterstar.

I think all of his costumes were pretty terrible. The first one had the shoulder pad and half cape. The second was two shoulder pads, bandoliers, and pouches. None of them were good, though they were often distinctive in their unique terribleness. The boxer's helmet didn't help things either.

https://uncannyxmen.net/characters/shatterstar/costume-gallery

• Love 1
1 hour ago, HunterHunted said:

I think all of his costumes were pretty terrible

Awful, awful, I swear I'm going to throw this phone out with all the damn typos and crazy ass auto corrects ?

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 1

I saw the trailer during Infinity War and I honestly didn't care for it.  The jokes (like the aforementioned "Your so dark") seemed kind of forced which is something I don't recall the first movie's jokes being.  That said I do like Peter as a gag that seems to continually pay off.  

4 hours ago, Matt K said:

I saw the trailer during Infinity War and I honestly didn't care for it.  The jokes (like the aforementioned "Your so dark") seemed kind of forced which is something I don't recall the first movie's jokes being.  That said I do like Peter as a gag that seems to continually pay off.  

I'm in wait and see mode for Deapool 2 but, I will say the DP2 trailer got the most enthusiastic reaction from my Infinity War Theater.

Hmm. I kind of liked it, except for all the Deadpool stuff.

Spoiler

Pros:

• The new cast are all great. I was worried they would make Cable too jokey, but he works.
  • Julian Tennison is great as the only character in the movie to have any depth to them.
  • Negasonic Teenage Warhead has a girlfriend! It's good to finally see a non-straight X-Men character, though it's ridiculous that it took this long and that it happened here rather than an X-Men movie.
  • The entire X-Force sequence with Rob Delaney, Terry Crews, etc is fantastic.
  • The action scenes are all good.
  • No Stan Lee cameo, aside from his face on a mural.

Cons:

• I laughed at maybe 5% of Deadpool's jokes. Some worked, but most of them fell completely flat for me, especially all the fourth wall-breaking references to other movies.
  • Killing Vanessa at the start is lazy, and bringing her back at the end is lazier.
  • Aside from Julian Tennison's Russell, all of the characters felt very one-dimensional.
  • Domino is cool, but that's all. She's just a vehicle for cool setpieces. I'm not sure how seriously we're supposed to take the attempts to connect her to the story, but they don't work at all.
  • Negasonic Teenage Warhead has maybe six lines, and her girlfriend has less.
  • TJ Miller
  • Eddie Marsan is completely wasted, though it's funny how often these movies have teased Sinister and not followed through.
  • The mid-credits scene was probably hyped up too much, but I didn't love it.
  • The plot is basically just Looper, and Deadpool doesn't even reference it.
  • Aside from the unplugged version of Take On Me, none of the ironically cheesy music drops worked for me.

I'll probably watch X-Force, sure.

• Love 1
(edited)

Since they did this, I would assume that we won't get an end credit scene of him turning to ash, as some of us thought might happen since he's a Marvel character.  I had envisioned him dusting away in the bar and having his buddies cheer because someone finally won the Dead Pool.  I knew it was a long shot and given how funny I'm hearing the end credit scene is, I knew that we were probably way off base, but still....there was always that slim chance.  Not so much now, though. 

But, the Colbert segment was cute! 

Edited by Shannon L.
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Zuleikha said:

Very important spoiler based question that will determine whether or not I see this movie.  

Hide contents

Does Vanessa not actually die? And is she revealed as Copycat?

Spoiler

She dies, but in the mid-credits scene, Deadpool goes back in time and stops it. Nothing about Copycat.

Spoiler

Grrr! I don't understand the point of bringing Vanessa into the story, giving Morena Baccarin the Copycat look, placing her in the superpower trigger machine, and then not having her have the Copycat powers. So infuriating! Just make her be a different character!

No theater viewing for me then. Thank you for answering.

Movie's officially out so I'm going to spoiler away here, sorry, but them's the rules.

I wasn't that stunned by Vanessa's death, but I was surprised by the X-Force massacre. They were so heavily promoted. Glad Domino was the one who survived. Love me some Zazie Beetz. And was that Brad Pitt as Vanisher?

Glad they brought back Vanessa in the mid-credits scene, but it makes me wonder why Morena Baccarin was basically benched for this movie. And I'm a little surprised Reynolds still carries so much enmity for Green Lantern. Sure, it was bad for his career, but it worked out pretty well for his personal life.

• Love 3

I didn't enjoy it as much as the first, but I still had a really fun time. 

Not sure why Vanessa was mini-fridged, but I'm glad it was undone. 

I recognized Alan Tudyk but completely missed Matt Damon. I only caught McAvoy in the X-Men scene so I'm gonna need a gif of it to see everyone. 

All of the X-Force scenes were great. I really liked Cable, too. Domino was great as was Russell. I also think I'm liking it more as I think about it. 

• Love 2

As someone who has never read the comics, and only saw Deadpool once when it first came out, I found this hilarious and better than the first. (Well I guess I shouldn't alibi myself that much. I'm plugged in enough that I really enjoyed the Rob Liefeld shot. ) 

The plot is thin, but Deadpool doesn't strike me as a character I would ever follow for the plot. And that's to the movie's benefit. When Suicide Squad introduced a character purely to kill him 5 minutes later, it was obvious and awful. When DP2 does it, hilarious and unexpected.

• Love 5
(edited)

Saw it earlier today.  Confession time: while I enjoyed the first film, I wasn't a massive fan of it, as it basically felt like a film that was fun while watching, but I kind of forget about most it a few hours later.  I kind of got a sense that this will go the same way, as I enjoyed watching it and laughed a good bit, but I suspect that it won't stick with me like other comic book films have.  But I guess there are worst things then being fun and forgettable.

Cable and Domino were definitely highlights for me.  It is safe to say that Josh Brolin is having quite the year, and I thought he did an excellent job at making Cable the straight man almost, but still got a few laughs with some of his reactions and insults at Deadpool.  Wasn't surprised that it ended with him actually joining their side at the end, but it was still fun.  Plus, he's certainly got the badass aspects locked down.  Meanwhile, while Domino might not have been as fleshed out as others, Zazie Beetz was awesome and charismatic (plus hot!), and I'm looking forward to hopefully seeing more of the character going forward.  Had a feeling that the rest of the X-Force was going to get killed off, but it was still fun seeing the likes of Terry Crews and Bill Skarsgard here (plus that Brad Pitt cameo!)  At least Deadpool went back and saved Paul!

Vanessa getting killed off at the beginning certainly set a bad and cliched tone though.  I wonder of Morena Baccarin's time was limited due to Gotham or something, but I suspected better of the franchise to go down that route, even if they were self-aware about it.  And, of course, it ends up not mattering since she gets saved as well.

I recognized Alan Tudyk as one of the rednecks, but I didn't realize the other was Matt Damon!

The meta references were hit or miss.  Some made me laugh (especially the Marvel ones), but others I suspect are going to feel dated very soon (if not already.)

The Bond-like opening sequence complete with Celine Dion was awesome.  I really hope the song gets an Oscar nomination, because I can only imagine what kind of performance would happen during the telecast!

The after credit sequences of Deadpool taking out the X-Men: Origins version of Wade, along with actor Ryan Reynolds before he signed on to Green Lantern was a fun way to end things.

Edited by thuganomics85
  • Love 7

Did anybody catch The Goonies and It references at all? I thought I was the only one with Ryan Renolds calling Josh Brolin One-Eyed Willy and Paul getting his arm burned by Bill Skarsgard with volcanic vomit. 

• Love 2
(edited)

Honestly it dragged a little bit in the middle, but picked right back up with Juggernaunt and Wade's freakish baby legs and everything that came with it!

The opening credits and mid credits scenes made it all worth it. Especially loved Deadpol going back to "fix" X-Men Origins. 

Hated that Vanessa was probably semi-fridged just because Gotham can't put MB's trainwreck of a character out of her misery. But hey, a brief X-Men cameo! Didn't think we'd get that.

So first one was better, but this had moments.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 3

I really loved it.  Wade can be too much at times but that's who he is as a character.  It was a fun watch and that's all I was looking for.  Deadpool is basically a dark, raunchy, live action cartoon, and it makes me laugh so much.   I was so sad about Vanessa and so I loved that he fixed it.  The fate of X-Force was just shocking and hilarious.   I liked the running joke of Wade and Negasonic's girlfriend always saying hello to each other with enthusiasm no matter the circumstances and hope that continues in the next movie.

Domino is such a wonderful addition.  I think the Cable/Deadpool dynamic will be interesting. Vanessa telling Wade not to fuck Colossus cracked me up cause I think Wade would totally climb Colossus like a tree if Colossus were willing.  

• Love 6

Well, she's named after a character that interacted with Storm and Wolverine, but aside from the name and Japanese nationality I don't think there are any real similarities. Kind of like how they used Negasonic Teenage Warhead's name and not much else.

She's based on the same character as Rila Fukushima's character from The Wolverine (which the Deadpool writers don't seem to have seen?):

file_177699_0_wolv-new-small.jpg

I don't think she's ever been confirmed to be into girls in the comics, but it's long been suspected that she and Storm have hooked up.

(edited)

I was shocked about Juggernaut showing up. One of the best surprises of the movie. They really are trying to fix all the mess ups of the X-Men franchise. And in case I didn't make it clearer in my other post I loved Domino. She almost made up for them sidelining Vanessa.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 2

I saw this yesterday and I thought that this film was good. Not great like the first film but good. 

6 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

I was shocked about Juggernaut showing up. One of the best surprises of the movie. 

Yes, Juggernaut showing up was a surprise that I didn't expect to see. And they are actually admitting that he is Professor's X's brother and I don't think that the original X-Men appearance of Juggernaut did this. Also, I loved that Deadpool kept on referencing him from the comics. But what I really loved was seeing Deadpool in the X-Mansion playing around with Professor X's stuff (wheelchair and also the headgear he wears in an earlier film). 

My initial thoughts on the film:

- I also enjoy seeing Domino here and how they kept on referencing her power is "luck" and just showing how lucky she really is in this film. Also, the "can't draw feet" reference was funny to hear. 

- Truthfully I didn't see Vanessa's death coming (and I should've because looking back it was set up in such a trope-ish way, IMO) but going back in time and resetting it, was something that I was predicting. 

- Okay, so I can't remember if Russel's character is actually someone from the comics or someone they just created for this movie. I do know that Deadpool does have a rule about not killing kids (which is from the comics) and he also stops the X-Men from killing the reincarnation of  Apocalypse (who they find as a child that Deadpool stops them from killing him)- or at least I remember this happening in the comics. 

- Was the Vanisher played by Brad Pitt? 

- I really was laughing at how all of the X-Force was being killed and it was all Deadpool's fault. I also enjoy that he came back to save just one member and not the rest (RIP Terry Crews' Bedlem)

- I also enjoy how Deadpool made fun of Black Tom Cassidy's name as cultural appropriation

- Okay, so I heard that both Adam Tudyk and Matt Damon were in this film but I didn't see them. Where were they and who did they play?

• Love 1
4 hours ago, TVSpectator said:

- Okay, so I can't remember if Russel's character is actually someone from the comics or someone they just created for this movie. I do know that Deadpool does have a rule about not killing kids (which is from the comics) and he also stops the X-Men from killing the reincarnation of  Apocalypse (who they find as a child that Deadpool stops them from killing him)- or at least I remember this happening in the comics. 

He's not connected to Deadpool, but he's in the comics as Rusty Collins. http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Russell_Collins_(Earth-616)

• Love 1