Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E07: Blindsided

OnceSane
  • Start Topic

Leigh Anne Tuohy, the inspiration for Sandra Bullock's character in ``The Blind Side,'' and her friends prove to be a challenge for Matt's culinary skills; Jen fails to adhere to the yacht dress code; Matt reconnects with someone from his past.

• Love 1

I am probably in the minority here but I do think Kate has been inappropriate with her treatment of Jen.  That said, I have no idea why she dressed that way at the tailgating beach picnic.  The way Kate had her dress up at the dinner was utterly ridiculous.  I think the guests are big Mississippi fans.  I think they would have appreciated a get up like that more.

And I just have to say I have no idea how these people go out and get so toasted and them have to work with their hangovers.

• Love 9

Jen is pretty clueless.  Her cheerleader outfit and cheer was lame.  I don't understand why Kate would end a very nice dinner with that ridiculous outfit.   I haven't even seen the movie, but I know that they are HUGE Ole Miss fans.  Couldn't Kate have ordered some Ole Miss decorations and have it shipped to them to make the tailgate more realistic?  Even just get their team colors.   How do you not know what happens at a tailgate?  Google is your friend, Kate.  Pull up videos of the Ole Miss tailgates, or any other southern schools.  Is it really that difficult?

This is the second time they've run out of a main ingredient for dinner.  First time, no lobster, now no vanilla ice cream.  I smell producers doing shit to amp up the drama or Matt is horrible at managing his supply.

Nico is a lot of hot air.  Telling EJ either he's Bosun or he'll quit the next day.  Yeah, I figured.  He did nothing.  An adult would go talk to the Captain if he were that upset at having a new boss.

• Love 9
25 minutes ago, hoosier80 said:

Jen is pretty clueless.  Her cheerleader outfit and cheer was lame.  I don't understand why Kate would end a very nice dinner with that ridiculous outfit.   I haven't even seen the movie, but I know that they are HUGE Ole Miss fans.  Couldn't Kate have ordered some Ole Miss decorations and have it shipped to them to make the tailgate more realistic?  Even just get their team colors.   How do you not know what happens at a tailgate?  Google is your friend, Kate.  Pull up videos of the Ole Miss tailgates, or any other southern schools.  Is it really that difficult?

This is the second time they've run out of a main ingredient for dinner.  First time, no lobster, now no vanilla ice cream.  I smell producers doing shit to amp up the drama or Matt is horrible at managing his supply.

Nico is a lot of hot air.  Telling EJ either he's Bosun or he'll quit the next day.  Yeah, I figured.  He did nothing.  An adult would go talk to the Captain if he were that upset at having a new boss.

Ole Miss wouldn't have flown, that would be marketing without $$ - that being said, Publix certainly paid for a lot of product placement this episode.

• Love 4
51 minutes ago, Emmeline said:

I am probably in the minority here but I do think Kate has been inappropriate with her treatment of Jen.  That said, I have no idea why she dressed that way at the tailgating beach picnic.  The way Kate had her dress up at the dinner was utterly ridiculous.  I think the guests are big Mississippi fans.  I think they would have appreciated a get up like that more.

And I just have to say I have no idea how these people go out and get so toasted and them have to work with their hangovers.

To some extent I agree, but Jen is such a whining idiot, I don't care. In a lot of ways Kate has been lax. Working with someone that whiny, entitled and stupid would drive me crazy.

• Love 11
16 hours ago, hoosier80 said:

15 hours ago, Adultosaurus said:

Ole Miss wouldn't have flown, that would be marketing without $$ - that being said, Publix certainly paid for a lot of product placement this episode.

Not only would Ole Miss never let their logo be used it would have been cost prohibitive to try to fly their merch to the Caribbean. I think the best Kate could try to do is approximate their team colors.

Jen is a whiny halfwit.

I think Matt is pretty bad at managing his supplies. There really should be tons of vanilla ice cream in the freezers.

EJ is a goober, but Nico is a petulant brat. Of course Nico is enough of a toddler that he assumes that EJ went to Captain Lee. When EJ knew exactly what the problem was--Nico was drunk, angry, and insecure. In what universe, did EJ apologize to Nico?

Edited by HunterHunted
  • Love 9
53 minutes ago, Adultosaurus said:

I didn't even notice the Publix placements. Where/what were they? Did they have Publix store brand products in the pantry or something?

I thought the guests were kind of terrible, with their "come on, boat people" and the highly inappropriate comment that Kate needs to eat more. I know these remarks weren't made directly to the crew, but it was still rude as hell.

Edited by Michichick
  • Love 21
5 minutes ago, Michichick said:

I didn't even notice the Publix placements. Where/what were they? Did they have Publix store brand products in the pantry or something?

I thought the guests were kind of terrible, with their "come on, boat people" and the highly inappropriate comment that Kate needs to eat more. I know these remarks weren't made directly to the crew, but it was still rude as hell.

Several Publix brand food freezer bags, then the away bags for the beach party were all Publix.  Publix wouldn't let that passive placement just happen.   As far as the "boat people" comment, I think it was said once and edited in other comments...it didn't show up in the initial CC for the episode (as conspiracy-theory as that sounds!)

Edited by Adultosaurus
  • Love 1
16 minutes ago, Adultosaurus said:

As far as the "boat people" comment, I think it was said once and edited in other comments...it didn't show up in the initial CC for the episode (as conspiracy-theory as that sounds!)

It showed up several times in my closed captioning, irritating me more each time.

I get that Jen is stupid and irritating. That's no justification for Kate to be mean and belittling. I doubt you'll find that tactic in any management training.

Edited by Passing Strange
  • Love 7

Only half-watching.  Thought it wrong, inappropriate, and unprofessional as a boss for Kate to make Jen dress up in that stupid outfit.  And I generally like Kate.  (Even though I get her and Hannah from BD-Med mixed up!)

• Love 3

So that tailgate picnic . . . am I mistaken or did Matt serve premade burgers sent over covered in plastic wrap?  I hope I'm wrong about that.  Don't they usually send a grill with the food and cook things in place on the beach?  I can't imagine anybody being happy with soggy hamburgers.

Leigh Anne strikes me as a bit of a bitch.  Her husband needs to eat less, but I bet she'd be pretty pissed if Kate mentioned that on camera.  Who thinks it's okay to snot off about other people's weight, especially on TV and as the very first comment you make about a person?  Some people fall in love with the smell of their own perfume and think anything they say is adorable and witty, even when it's mean.

Jen can jump overboard anytime now.  And Brianna can join her, with her bullshit about not going after a guy with a girlfriend.  That's all she's been doing since day one.  We see you.

• Love 16
1 hour ago, Passing Strange said:

I get that Jen is stupid and irritating. That's no justification for Kate to be mean and belittling. I doubt you'll find that tactic in any management training.

Kate is a mean person who gets off on belittling people.  She is not only a horrible manager but a horrible human being.

• Love 4

Nico is just so ridiculous when he pretended to not remember EJs name, he doesn't realize that he shows his jealousy and crap attitude through his every action. Nico thinking that EJ apologizes to him was delusional.

I actually have always had issues with Leigh Anne Tuohy based on interviews and articles and this did not improve my opinion of her.

Seriously we are halfway through charter and he has attempted Bananas Foster twice and not once has he flambaed them table side??!? Him not being in the galley much less not responding to Kate calling him when the guests were already seated at dinner was one of the most ridiculously unprofessional things on this show. 

And yes the burgers and wings were both prepared on the boat and appeared to be served cold. 

Even my boyfriend who has only watched cheesecake made on tv or by me stated "he clearly didn't use a water bath for that sorry looking cheesecake!

Maine lobster? Fuck you Matt.

I am hoping that the producers come up with all these stupid theme dinners that tend to be please recreate our home life on board a yacht! 

Baker had a hell of a bruise on her thigh when she was raising anchor.

How quick the world changes, the Harvey Weinstein name drop carries different meaning now.

• Love 13
44 minutes ago, ghoulina said:

I also am just not a fan of asking for theme this and theme that. The YACHT is the theme. Asking for specific foods is one thing. But there's something about these silly themes that bothers me; it's almost demeaning. Like they want the crew to not just serve them, but entertain them - in a very circus-y kind of way. I don't know. I just don't like it. 

I agree, and I wonder if it's not just this particular yacht because the show is filmed there.  Normally I would think if you were paying that kind of money you'd like for the "boat people" (ha) to be as invisible as possible so that you could immerse yourself in the vacation aspect instead of feeling like you're sharing your trip with the crew.  I'll bet they don't have the crew of the Millenium Falcon yacht wearing light-up sneakers for a creepy drive-by!

• Love 15

I'm a super picky eater so food to me is just...blech...unless it's ice cream! And if I hear Bananas Foster and I get chocolate ice cream with no tableside flambe?  Not cool. Especially for that amount of $$$$.

Methinks Nico got an ear full of from production about his I Quit tirade and his crappy attitude. He didn't shut that down THAT fast because that Bri wiggled her bare rump at him. 

I would have dressed Jen up in FAR worse than that! What a whiny, entitled baby she is. Go away and take your stank attitude with you. Your having the adventure of a LIFETIME and all you can do is bitch. GTFO. 

• Love 4
31 minutes ago, eurekagirl mOo said:

I'm a super picky eater so food to me is just...blech...unless it's ice cream! And if I hear Bananas Foster and I get chocolate ice cream with no tableside flambe?  Not cool. Especially for that amount of $$$$.

Methinks Nico got an ear full of from production about his I Quit tirade and his crappy attitude. He didn't shut that down THAT fast because that Bri wiggled her bare rump at him. 

I would have dressed Jen up in FAR worse than that! What a whiny, entitled baby she is. Go away and take your stank attitude with you. Your having the adventure of a LIFETIME and all you can do is bitch. GTFO. 

Jen is really lucky she doesn't work for Jeff Lewis or her outfit would have been way worse. 

• Love 11

I've never really liked The Blindside just as a broad concept: the racial politics of it always felt a bit icky, the movie was paint-by-the-numbers shlock, Sandra Bullock collecting basically a career Oscar for it when there were much better performances in the mix (Jennifer Lawrence in Winter's Bone, Gabby Sidibe in Precious, probably others). So I'm glad I wasn't the only one put off by them. Also it was weird to hear them namedrop the movie a bunch of times and cast/crew/production (including Weinstein, which I know this was filmed ages before the shit hit the fan, but it still made me shudder), but I don't think we ever even heard Michael Oher, the reason they have even tertiary "fame", mentioned by name. 

I give Kate a pass on costume shenanigans because I think it's a production note. They've been doing weird stunts like that for a bunch of seasons now, and while I always think it's annoying at best and creepily exploitative at worst, I think it's something the show wants to keep doing. God knows if I chartered a yacht, the last thing I would want is the boat staff pulling buffoonery like that -- it would make me as uncomfortable as having the wait staff sing me some weird elaborate happy birthday song at a chain restaurant, times one hundred.

ETA: So I guess I was wrong on the Oscars thing, Gabby was in the mix but not JLaw. It was Sandy, Gabby, Carey Mulligan, Helen Mirren, and Meryl Streep, and I don't remember seeing or hearing about most of the movies the other ladies were nominated for so I'm not sure if it was a very weak field otherwise. I do remember thinking Gabby should've won, but eh.

Edited by annewithaneee
  • Love 15
9 hours ago, Mondrianyone said:

Leigh Anne strikes me as a bit of a bitch.  Her husband needs to eat less, but I bet she'd be pretty pissed if Kate mentioned that on camera.  Who thinks it's okay to snot off about other people's weight, especially on TV and as the very first comment you make about a person?  Some people fall in love with the smell of their own perfume and think anything they say is adorable and witty, even when it's mean.

I thought so, too.They were so BLAH.... Sandra Bullock and Tim McGraw did a fantastic job in the movie of making these people likeable. Of course, it didn't hurt that Sandra and Tim are gorgeous when in reality the real Tuohy's are nothing but ordinary and dumpy. It's hard to believe they took in that poor football player to live with their family. They don't seem to have the heart for that. 

I kind of like EJ. He's a bit of a dork but he means well. 

That banana's foster was rediculous. Kate was being kind, if it was the chief stew from the Med crew, (damn can't remember her name) she would have ripped Matt apart and rightly so. He's turned out to be lazy and creepy. 

• Love 7
41 minutes ago, bichonblitz said:

I thought so, too.They were so BLAH.... Sandra Bullock and Tim McGraw did a fantastic job in the movie of making these people likeable. Of course, it didn't hurt that Sandra and Tim are gorgeous when in reality the real Tuohy's are nothing but ordinary and dumpy. It's hard to believe they took in that poor football player to live with their family. They don't seem to have the heart for that. 

I bet they called him, "football boy". 

• Love 10
1 hour ago, annewithaneee said:

I've never really liked The Blindside just as a broad concept: the racial politics of it always felt a bit icky, the movie was paint-by-the-numbers shlock, Sandra Bullock collecting basically a career Oscar for it when there were much better performances in the mix (Jennifer Lawrence in Winter's Bone, Gabby Sidibe in Precious, probably others). So I'm glad I wasn't the only one put off by them. Also it was weird to hear them namedrop the movie a bunch of times and cast/crew/production (including Weinstein, which I know this was filmed ages before the shit hit the fan, but it still made me shudder), but I don't think we ever even heard Michael Oher, the reason they have even tertiary "fame", mentioned by name. 

I noticed they never mentioned Oher as well.  I wondered if he must not have wanted them to.

• Love 5

The Blinkside Gang just felt and little smug and oozing with self-satisfaction for my taste. I find that sort of thing sort of off-putting. The whole "Boat People" had more than a whiff of condescension in my book...more reasons to be put off. 

And speaking of put off, that whole Bananas Foster dish was DIS -GUST- ING. Ugh. It looked like dog food in the bowl.  I lived a long time in New Orleans and even at a place like Commander's Place, the dish is not that pretty - but what was in that bowl was an abomination. Owen Brennan actually came up with that dish to serve at Brennan's because there were loads of super cheap bananas that would come into the port of New Orleans. So it was never created for the pretty, but a flambe show can really elevate the experience.  

Matt could have done a fucking box cake with sprinkles, and it would have looked a damn sight better, probably tasted better, too. 

Edited by Chickabiddy
Because I can't type at. all.
  • Love 9

I remember reading that Michael Oher didn't love the movie, and tries to disassociate himself from it.  He wasn't ok with how his mother was depicted (abandoning him), and the Hollywoodization of his life.  I don't mean to defend the guests, cuz I didn't care for them either, but their name-dropping "Sandy" and "Harvey" (how weird was that?!) doesn't mean they didn't mention Michael.  I'm sure the editors were looking for any and all Sandra Bullock references.

Edited by LotusFlower
  • Love 3

Cheers to Bruno. I disliked him at the beginning of the season and thought that he'd be the first with a plane ticket home. He's kept his head down, learned the job (somewhat but he was totally green) and seems to be willing to pitch in wherever needed. He's been a sushi plate, deckhand and now sous chef. I'm pretty sure that he made those desserts. We saw him forming the cheesecake balls and later drizzling the icing on them. He wins my most improved player (so far). 

Jen is still clueless but Kate isn't adept at teaching her the skills that she needs (or she attempts to and it rushes in one ear and out the other). Kate is doing as little as possible. I miss the shots of her fancy towels (enough of the same old anchor shape...I want swans!) 

I really don't like that Bri is baiting Nico. If you know that someone has a girlfriend back home you just should not. I'm sure his girlfriend is paranoid enough after his last dalliance and if she watches this season I'm sure that they are history. 

• Love 14

I could really sympathize with the captain and the night docking. I'm not yet a senior citizen, but still am starting to get that dislike of night driving, because you can't tell how far away anything is. And then there was the one lane, two way tunnel in the Faroe Islands with pull-outs every 100 meters for the "secondary" direction. You have to guess how far away the lights of the oncoming car are to decide whether it's time to pull over!

And I think for at least two main courses, Matt's "go to" for the vegetarian was a plate of pasta. That can get old really fast.

Edited by dleighg
  • Love 5

It amazes me how many people think that their personal problems take precedence over performing their job.  I mean......really?  I knew that was NOT allowed when I worked at age 16.  

Has anyone compared photos of this seasons's Kate with older ones? She appears ill to me.  Not sure what it is. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, dleighg said:

And I think for at least two main courses, Matt's "go to" for the vegetarian was a plate of pasta. That can get old really fast.

Edited 10 minutes ago by dleighg.

Very boring for the guest and not very inventive on Matt's part. There are so many other options and he was alerted to the guests dietary preferences before they even came on board. Unless someone lights a fire under him, he is ho hum. 

• Love 7
4 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

Very boring for the guest and not very inventive on Matt's part. There are so many other options and he was alerted to the guests dietary preferences before they even came on board. Unless someone lights a fire under him, he is ho hum. 

It's insulting to call Matt's efforts half-assed because that would imply that he's even trying. His work is quarter-assed. The first night was supposed to be the Hollywood theme. He is late because he's obsessed with trying to get a text from his ex. He serves no starter. The guests get fish over rice or couscous and pasta for the vegetarian and the baby food bananas foster. Even a cliche ceviche or watermelon feta salad to start would have been an improvement. Adding a bit of puff pastry or french toast to the bananas foster for texture would have improved it greatly because as is, it was a big ole miss. The next night, he serves Maine lobster when they are in the Caribbean where spiny lobster is plentiful.

He talks about being a seasonal farm to table guy and we've really have yet to see him really show that. He's used spiny lobster once. I don't think he's ever used conch. No red fish, crab, sea urchin, and barely any tropical fruits.

• Love 11

It bothered me that he chose to serve it with chocolate ice cream. Why didn't he do the whipped cream to begin with? I agree with HunterHunted that puff pastry or something far more appetizing could have been made versus that ugly bowl of slime. They dock enough that he could go into a local market and up his food game. Heck. It would make for some fine viewing as well. Food porn is missing. I also didn't like that he cut the steaks before serving them. They weren't rested and all the juicy goodness was spilling out. Guess I'm just not a fan and was spoiled by Ben. 

• Love 5

Captain Lee's Blog is up, I really wish it was every week. I like How he took Nico to task but not liking how Kate can do no wrong. 

I was thinking I think this whole EJ thing was planned, I mean they know Nico and how he is from last season so they planned a really green crew and no Bosun from the start knowing they would crash and burn and bring in EJ and can turmoil, that Nico would not be able to stop himself from turning back into a Jerk like he was to Kate last season. 

16 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

There really should be tons of vanilla ice cream in the freezers

Although with THIS crew, it would not surprise me to find out these clowns raid the guest supplies if they decide they want something.  Especially vanilla ice cream, thinking it won't be missed. 

• Love 7
2 hours ago, dleighg said:

I could really sympathize with the captain and the night docking. I'm not yet a senior citizen, but still am starting to get that dislike of night driving, because you can't tell how far away anything is

I'm only 37, but I cannot remember a time when I didn't have "night blindness". I HATE driving at night. This was definitely the scene from this season I was MOST nervous watching. 

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

Cheers to Bruno. I disliked him at the beginning of the season and thought that he'd be the first with a plane ticket home. He's kept his head down, learned the job (somewhat but he was totally green) and seems to be willing to pitch in wherever needed. He's been a sushi plate, deckhand and now sous chef. I'm pretty sure that he made those desserts. We saw him forming the cheesecake balls and later drizzling the icing on them. He wins my most improved player (so far). 

Jen is still clueless but Kate isn't adept at teaching her the skills that she needs (or she attempts to and it rushes in one ear and out the other). Kate is doing as little as possible. I miss the shots of her fancy towels (enough of the same old anchor shape...I want swans!) 

I really don't like that Bri is baiting Nico. If you know that someone has a girlfriend back home you just should not. I'm sure his girlfriend is paranoid enough after his last dalliance and if she watches this season I'm sure that they are history. 

I agree about Bruno. He comes across as good-hearted and a bit innocent, which I mean as a compliment. Other than being "too tired" to dance with the guests that one time, he has made efforts to learn and contribute and earn that tip. Deckhand may not be his calling, but I can see him doing very well in a social role that involves lots of guest interaction.

Bri annoys me more each episode.

• Love 14
8 hours ago, ghoulina said:

I also am just not a fan of asking for theme this and theme that. The YACHT is the theme. Asking for specific foods is one thing. But there's something about these silly themes that bothers me; it's almost demeaning. Like they want the crew to not just serve them, but entertain them - in a very circus-y kind of way. I don't know. I just don't like it. 

Why would you need a theme on a beach???  How about enjoying the insane beauty of being on the beach?  You need football crap to make it fun?  If you need a theme for everything, that is very sad.

7 hours ago, annewithaneee said:

I've never really liked The Blindside just as a broad concept: the racial politics of it always felt a bit icky,

It is so gross, I was surprised that people were not more turned off.  White savior stories are just off-putting.

I REALLY did not like this group.  Bunch of assholes.  Ha - that they were talking about Harvey W - bring that up now, loser.

• Love 13
5 minutes ago, RedHawk said:

I agree about Bruno. He comes across as good-hearted and a bit innocent, which I mean as a compliment. Other than being "too tired" to dance with the guests that one time, he has made efforts to learn and contribute and earn that tip. Deckhand may not be his calling, but I can see him doing very well in a social role that involves lots of guest interaction.

You mean like "as a waiter in restaurants and five-star hotels, Bruno quickly began to focus his career path. Bruno took his passion for hospitality from land to sea and moved on to cruise ships, becoming an officer in guest services and guest relations." He's always worked in jobs that had a lot of customer and guest interaction. I suspect he applied for this show hoping he become the first male steward, but the pickings were so slim that he got stuck on the deck crew.

• Love 4
11 hours ago, Adultosaurus said:

Normally I would think if you were paying that kind of money you'd like for the "boat people" (ha) to be as invisible as possible so that you could immerse yourself in the vacation aspect instead of feeling like you're sharing your trip with the crew.  

Including the Captain.

I was surprised when Kate invited Lee to dine with the guests. And then told the guests that the captain would be joining them. It doesn't work that way

• Love 3
3 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

You mean like "as a waiter in restaurants and five-star hotels, Bruno quickly began to focus his career path. Bruno took his passion for hospitality from land to sea and moved on to cruise ships, becoming an officer in guest services and guest relations." He's always worked in jobs that had a lot of customer and guest interaction. I suspect he applied for this show hoping he become the first male steward, but the pickings were so slim that he got stuck on the deck crew.

Yes, I remembered that he did that sort of work on the cruise ships and I meant that I could see him being successful in that role. I agree that he thought he might be hired as a steward but then they assigned him to be a deckhand along with greenie Chris Brown and barely trained Baxter (is she still on this show?). I would have preferred to see him working under Kate -- they might have hit it off when she saw he knows how to interact well with guests. Perhaps some (producer created) conflict could have come from him being better liked than her by certain guests (he smiles all the time and she has a BRF!) or having Jenderella try to offload all her work onto him by being flirty or something. Anyway... 

• Love 2
6 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Has anyone compared photos of this seasons's Kate with older ones? She appears ill to me.  Not sure what it is. 

I think she is aging rapidly due to her potential alcoholism.  Substance abuse tends to age young women.  She looks like she is a lot older than 34.  Also, as I have written before, Kate has had several arrests that were alcohol related.  I really hope she gets some help.

• Love 3