Type keyword(s) to search

White Famous - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I've only watched the pilot so far.  It's not the worst premier I've seen, despite the middling to poor reviews.

The dude is quick at least, like when he told Fox that he was asking the same question twice.

The Indian agent is good too, guess he's going to be the sidekick, like Charlie Runkle was to Hank Moody.

He still wants to get with his ex, while getting a lot of action with randoms and groupies.  The black Hank Moody!

I watched Californication to the bitter end, even though there were a lot of eye-rolling story lines over the course of that series.  I don't think it had boffo reviews either.

Edited by scrb
  • Love 1

If the show stuck to Floyd having to balance his Hollywood & comedy careers with his family life, the show would have some potential.

Throwing in all the Entourage/Californication/Curb Your Enthusiasm shenanigans really drags the show down.

• Love 1

Watched the first two episodes. Didn't love it, but didn't hate it like some here. Think calling it White Famous, instead of Mainstream which is all that means, lets you know up front that there will be a lot of race jokes and so that was expected. Some of it worked, some didn't. But the rest of it really did feel a lot like Californication. That's not a bad thing to me in a general sense, I loved that crazy show, but this didn't hit me as anywhere near like that did, so it's a we'll see. For sure I've always struggled with Michael Rappaport and that will be no different here as he seems like a lot to take already and he may keep me from giving this much more of a shot. So, it was alright. Was hoping for better, will give it another shot to see if this rounds into something more entertaining to me.

• Love 1

If you strip away Jamie Foxx/Stephen Tobolowsky/Michael Rapaport, and focus on Floyd interacting with Sadie, Trevor, Ron and Malcolm you're left with a pretty good show imo.

On 10/26/2017 at 2:57 AM, Dee said:

If you strip away Jamie Foxx/Stephen Tobolowsky/Michael Rapaport, and focus on Floyd interacting with Sadie, Trevor, Ron and Malcolm you're left with a pretty good show imo.

Really good show actually. I don't know why the producers don't have more faith in it.

As for the critics hate, I think its because this show came up in the time of the weinstein stuff and for some reason this show insists upon inserting misogyny despite the fact that it does nothing for the narrative.

• Love 1

Finally got to the third episode and Im committed. This is really a show with heart.

Floyd's life is about to go downhill, big time. It was interesting the way they capped off his ominous future with a bit of a hopeful ending.

• Love 1

I watched the 3rd episode and while I may end up checking out the 4th, I'm pretty sure I'm out. Michael Rappaport is a non-starter for me here. I just can't with him on a weekly basis, it's hard enough in a one-off movie. Combined that with the glaring similarities to Californication and this not jelling as well as that, I'm just not seeing something I would enjoy week to week.

• Love 1

I've watched all three episodes so far. While I don't laugh hysterically there are humorous parts which I enjoy. Overall the core characters are good, I like the agent. Floyd is a good lead and provides a lot of perspective which i'm totally on board with.  There are a few things I would change with the main being the storylines: I know they are purposely surreal (its Hollywood!) but they don't always link into the story and have an impact on the character.

I just can't devote time to another show in which I hate the main character. The YouTubers I follow on Twitter are savvier than the main character here. The idea of someone wanting not to be "white famous" is fucking absurd, then this guy going out of his way to be an ass to every single person he encounters is just too much. His interactions with his son's mother are really repellant to me. If this guy has charm at all he does a fantastic job of hiding it. 

And not for nothing who is doing Eddie Murphy impressions in 2017? Does anyone under 40 even know he laughs like that?

• Love 1
On 10/14/2017 at 2:43 PM, scrb said:

Not getting good reviews.

The creator or show runner is Tom Kapinos, who ran Californication.

After watching the first two I can see it's the same script just changed characters. The main guy refuses to conform but everyone wants him anyway. Pretty ex who he as a child with. Nice car with low income job. 

On 11/1/2017 at 4:21 PM, Drumpf1737 said:

And not for nothing who is doing Eddie Murphy impressions in 2017? Does anyone under 40 even know he laughs like that?

Yes!  Plenty of people watch the old comedians and their movies on cable.