Type keyword(s) to search

Season 1 - 3 Discussion

• Start Topic

On 5/10/2022 at 1:12 PM, seth said:

Shoulda stuck with the planned exploding-Cessna, with the Becks dying much-more magnificently in a ball of fire dropping from the sky

Yeah, I wonder what ever became of that - the whole Ninja into the hangar to plant the bombs, then nothing. Is that plane still flying around with explosives in the tank?

• Love 1

All four seasons are streaming on Paramount this weekend, so I’m tapping in & out, thrilling to what I love about the show (uhhhh Cole Hauser), and skipping what I don’t.

Tonight after “I Killed a Man”, the network screened 1985’s Silverado.   Ahhhhhh: 30-year-old Kevin Costner as Jake (“All I did was kiss the girl!”).  He’s such a charming, energetic goofball! you could just pinch him.  He wouldn’t play another one of those until 1996, as Roy in Tin Cup.  He was so very, wonderfully,…*chef’s kiss* at “charming rogue”. 

• Applause 1
  • Love 3
On 8/17/2020 at 12:15 PM, Joimiaroxeu said:

Will Patton would not have been someone I'd have expected to be cast as a grizzled ex-convict in MT. Guess his movie connections to Costner paid off.

In the headshot we saw onscreen when Jamie was looking up his bio father, young Will Patton looked just like he did when he was the villain in "Desperately Seeking Susan". I always think of him in bad guy roles. Was fun to see him pop up here.

• Useful 1
(edited)
On 11/30/2021 at 9:18 PM, LadyIrony said:

They do seem wealthy but perhaps only on paper. It is all wrapped up in their land and they probably don't have that much actual money. They all seem to work for a living and their jobs involve ensuring their property remains theirs. They could just sell it and never have to work another day in their lives. Chances are future Dutton offspring will do just that. 

Kinda late on these comments but I just started watching last week and have really enjoyed it as pure escapism. So much doesn't make sense but I just sit back and take the (many) good parts. 

I'm at the end of S3 and Beth has at least twice in the series made clear to her father that the minute he's gone she is selling her share and moving back to Salt Lake City or wherever. She only fights so hard for the ranch because he loves it and she loves him.

Jamie was salivating at the thought of his share of $500 million. He would fly off in a heartbeat, change his phone number, and never look back.

On 2/18/2022 at 10:11 AM, Dowel Jones said:

It's fun to watch if you don't take it seriously or try to apply any logic to it.

Exactly. And I'm loving it.

On 5/14/2022 at 3:13 PM, Moose135 said:

Yeah, I wonder what ever became of that - the whole Ninja into the hangar to plant the bombs, then nothing. Is that plane still flying around with explosives in the tank?

I was certain to the point of feeling dread in the pit of my stomach that Tate was going to be on that plane. There was a lot of foreshadowing and then nothing happened, so I'm thinking less that it was a fakeout and more that Sheridan changed his mind. Kinda hoped it would go there even though I love Tate and the actor who plays him does a great job.

Edited by RedHawk
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 7/17/2022 at 4:08 AM, RedHawk said:

Kinda late on these comments but I just started watching last week and have really enjoyed it as pure escapism. So much doesn't make sense but I just sit back and take the (many) good parts. 

I'm at the end of S3 and Beth has at least twice in the series made clear to her father that the minute he's gone she is selling her share and moving back to Salt Lake City or wherever. She only fights so hard for the ranch because he loves it and she loves him.

Beth is such a mess and the actress who plays her is way too old given Beth is supposed to be in her mid 30's. Beth just likes to fight and even if her father died and she took her share of the cash she would still find something else to fight about even though she would be more than wealthy enough to simply live out the rest of her life in peace and luxury!

• Like 1
  • Fire 1
  • Love 2

What ever happened to that horse Kayce was training for Tate back in season 2? By season 3 they were trying to scrounge up horses for Tate to ride at the summer camp, and storywise there wasn't that much time between the end of season 2 and the start of season 3.

Edited by NeenerNeener
Edited to fix spelling of Kayce's name, which I can never remember from year to year.
  • Love 1

Doing the rewatch and was reminded that one of the best scenes in this series was the pilot ep’s Dutton Bros fishing trip.  Pure joy (a *happy Jamie: remember him??), and even the tense moment (that ended with Tate throwing his dinner at Lee) was speedily offset by the Duttons bursting into laughter, and Kayce’s explanation to his son (“…just brothers being brothers”).

Also in the pilot ep: the *worst Rip & Beth scene ever — and it was their intro plot line!  Just gross.  I was sorry to be reminded of that start to their story.

• Love 1
On 6/28/2018 at 1:37 AM, Andromeda said:

I can't watch anymore. First one dog is maimed in the meth explosion, then a coyote is slaughtered gratuitously by a semi, then no one calls the university paleontology department when they find a dinosaur! And they plan to dig it up themselves and hide it in the barn!?  It needs to be carefully excavated and studied in situ. 

This comment is from a very long time ago but I started watching from season 4 and I realized I wanted to watch from the beginning.  So I started from the beginning and I’m catching up on comments.

I really don’t like all of the animal death either.  And I get that they (Yellowstone cowboys) are overall much kinder to their animals than how they are treated at the factory farms (truly horrific, evil and horrifying, gives me nightmares).  But it’s still hard to watch them roping and yanking on the calves.  I’m trying to enjoy the show without getting upset, but it’s hard.  I’m only on season 1 episode 3.

Edited by heatherchandler
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

I am new to this Yellowstone universe.... having been drawn in by 1883 and 1923. (I am binge watching from season 1 on). Is it me, or is Beth totally vile and obnoxious? I do not see her as strong or even evil, just like a spoiled entitled brat. OMG I can't stand her. There is nothing about her to admire, and no, if she was a man I would still find her disgusting. 

Edited by LoveLeigh
  • Like 8
  • Love 2

OK I realize it now. Beth is a caricature and written so poorly that her lines are a laugh. She is so obnoxious. if she was a real person I would be delighted I did not know her. Her comments are exhausting. 

Edited by LoveLeigh
  • Like 4
  • Love 1

I never really wanted to watch this, but a couple of people kept insisting, so I tried it. I am now on season four. And I have a really hard time believing most of what is going on. But for some reason, maybe it’s the scenery as in it’s a nice place to visit,  or the acting that’s keeping me watching because the plots are absolutely outrageous. More holes than a sieve. Pretty much everyone is unlikable. No Matter how many times they try to redeem them a little here and there. I don’t care if John Sutton loses his ranch either as a matter of fact, he seems to be crazy to try to hold onto it. I suppose I’ll keep watching till the end just for something to watch at night besides the usual.  I’m really not the cowboy Ranch type person so I guess it’s just something different but my God I don’t really understand how so many people love the show when it’s so inconceivable and the characters are such shits. 
So many murders without any repercussions or regard for the families of the innocent that were killed in the crossfire. It just pisses me off. 
It’s like a fantasy. I hope the native Americans get it all in the end. They’re  the only ones that are justified in their actions. 

• Like 3
On 7/2/2021 at 10:13 AM, blackwing said:

I just discovered that the actress who plays Beth is English.  I've never seen her before, and would have had no idea.  Her American accent is flawless.

Also just learned that the actress who plays Monica is Chinese-American, or rather, 1/2 Chinese.  Interesting that they didn't cast someone who is actually Native American to play this role.  I know it's common to adopt a stage name when starting out as an actor, but it's a disappointing commentary to me that Kelsey Asbille (Chow) and Chloe Bennet (Wang) think, told, or were made to feel that having an Asian last name is a liability.

Yes, wtf? There should be a native American actress in this role. 

4 minutes ago, chediavolo said:

I never really wanted to watch this, but a couple of people kept insisting, so I tried it. I am now on season four. And I have a really hard time believing most of what is going on. But for some reason, maybe it’s the scenery as in it’s a nice place to visit,  or the acting that’s keeping me watching because the plots are absolutely outrageous. More holes than a sieve. Pretty much everyone is unlikable. No Matter how many times they try to redeem them a little here and there. I don’t care if John Sutton loses his ranch either as a matter of fact, he seems to be crazy to try to hold onto it. I suppose I’ll keep watching till the end just for something to watch at night besides the usual.  I’m really not the cowboy Ranch type person so I guess it’s just something different but my God I don’t really understand how so many people love the show when it’s so inconceivable and the characters are such shits. 
So many murders without any repercussions or regard for the families of the innocent that were killed in the crossfire. It just pisses me off. 
It’s like a fantasy. I hope the native Americans get it all in the end. They’re  the only ones that are justified in their actions. 

Well, after reading a bunch of the comments, I’m not the only one that realizes that this series is absolutely ridiculous, and are only watching it for the scenery and as entertainment pure entertainment, because it makes no sense 😆

• Like 2
(edited)
7 hours ago, chediavolo said:

Well, after reading a bunch of the comments, I’m not the only one that realizes that this series is absolutely ridiculous, and are only watching it for the scenery and as entertainment pure entertainment, because it makes no sense 😆

Oh yeah, count me on this too.  Plus maybe I'm still watching because I'd like to see all the horrible people get what they deserve in the end?

Second plus, some of the ranch hands are hot.

Edited by FnkyChkn34
  • Like 2

Uuuuugggghhhhhh…watching “Going Back to Cali” and just heard Monica say to Kaycee, “Don’t stop loving me to go kill something,” and that just made my Top Five of “Worst dialogue in Yellowstone”.    

In fact, it’s so awful, I can’t even remember what else is on the list.

• LOL 3
(edited)
On 7/20/2020 at 12:25 PM, Dowel Jones said:

At first I thought it was just a plot device, and that wouldn't happen in real life.  However, a quick search brought up this story from a Minneapolis paper:

The U.S. Indian Health Service (IHS) later applied forced sterilization to American Indian women in the 1960s and 1970s, (bolding mine, to illustrate that it wasn't ancient history) sterilizing 3,406 Native American women between 1973 and 1976. In 1976, the U.S. General Accounting Office admitted that this took place in at least four of the 12 Indian Health Service regions. The numbers include women in Minnesota as well as 36 women under age 21, despite a court-ordered moratorium on sterilizations of women younger than 21. Their study, however, was very limited and the actual numbers are likely considerably higher. 

The article goes on to say that doctors thought they were doing a service to the tribes by limiting births in low income families.  Frightening.

"I thought that too!!  Why not just pay for the funeral anyway??  $16 G is nothing to them!"  (Sorry couldn't quote it)  I got the feeling that John didn't really think too highly of the other rancher, but was willing to let Kayce break the law in order to help him out.  I think his objective was to stick it to the bank.

Yep. But it only applied to Native American women. I know Yellowstone is fictional, but there's no way they would have sterilized a white teenager. Especially not one that everyone knew came from a prominent, if not the most prominent, family in the area. Clearly, a plot device designed to get the audience to hate Jaime, and it's ridiculous.

I mean, the timeframes don't even add up, lol. If this show is supposed to take place in the present, Beth would have been born in 1986. Meaning she would have been 15 in 2001. 

At this point on the show, Jamie has done nothing worse than anyone else. 

Edited by ShellsandCheese
  • Like 4
(edited)

Just finished S2E1 after binge watching Season One on the weekend and asking myself more than once if I want to keep going. Well...the scene in this episode where Dutton's ulcer explodes because he doesn't really have cancer (?) and he's saved by a veterinarian who performs surgery in a cow medical trailer is the most ridiculous five minutes of television I've seen in a long time and I'm all in now. Bring the rest of this series on. Lol

Edited by OLynn33
  • LOL 3
(edited)

Just rewatched Season 1’s “Coming Home”, when Jamie walks in and brilliantly, smoothly, gets Kacey off the hook for the murder of the rapists.  And…he…laughs (and his brother grins) as he does it.

This is a Jamie I wish we’d seen more of.  Including that moment at the end when he takes his sister’s face in his hand and tells her to hate him instead of herself, if that’s what she needs.  It’s as close as those two ever get to rapprochement.  It’s a thing this series could’ve used to great affect.

Instead they made him a simpering, cringing coward and turned her into a shrill, cruel harridan.

What a waste.

Edited by voiceover
  • Like 5
On 6/10/2023 at 11:09 PM, ShellsandCheese said:

Yep. But it only applied to Native American women. I know Yellowstone is fictional, but there's no way they would have sterilized a white teenager. Especially not one that everyone knew came from a prominent, if not the most prominent, family in the area. Clearly, a plot device designed to get the audience to hate Jaime, and it's ridiculous.

I mean, the timeframes don't even add up, lol. If this show is supposed to take place in the present, Beth would have been born in 1986. Meaning she would have been 15 in 2001. 

At this point on the show, Jamie has done nothing worse than anyone else. 

Disclaimer: I agree about the issue of the time frame WRT Beth, and the policy whether it was meant to be applied to Native American women or all patients. 

However, I can imagine that the clinic might have had some other funding that had this requirement*. Plus there are always some workers who are sticklers for following policies without question or even asking someone more senior if the policy is applicable.

*In the past, I worked as a Family Planning counselor for a non-profit health service. Many of these services are dependent on various funding sources that have requirements that vary (collection of data, restriction of services, etc.) so for example, we couldn't explicitly offer referrals to abortion clinics, and we had to do a fingerstick on each patient to collect blood info. 

On 6/30/2023 at 10:57 PM, voiceover said:

Just rewatched Season 1’s “Coming Home”, when Jamie walks in and brilliantly, smoothly, gets Kacey off the hook for the murder of the rapists.  And…he…laughs (and his brother grins) as he does it.

This is a Jamie I wish we’d seen more of.  Including that moment at the end when he takes his sister’s face in his hand and tells her to hate him instead of herself, if that’s what she needs.  It’s as close as those two ever get to rapprochement.  It’s a thing this series could’ve used to great affect.

Instead they made him a simpering, cringing coward and turned her into a shrill, cruel harridan.

What a waste.

Totally agree this is a waste. And not only that, it seems untrue to the original characterization, especially of Jamie. Beth always seemed like a person who thought she was smarter than she is, and is meaner than she has to be, but Jamie originally seemed like an intelligent, well-educated, worldly person, but over the seasons, he's been defanged and neutered. 

• Like 1
  • Applause 3

I am not sure where to post this but I thought I had read that the final episodes of the series would start up on January 14th.  Does anyone know when the final episodes will be aired? I guess it didn't air on Paramount with new episodes on January 14th?

10 hours ago, js9548 said:

I am not sure where to post this but I thought I had read that the final episodes of the series would start up on January 14th.  Does anyone know when the final episodes will be aired? I guess it didn't air on Paramount with new episodes on January 14th?

I've been wondering the same thing.  CBS will be airing 3 episodes on Jan. 21, 28 & 29th, along with last night's episodes (all from Season 3).

Just now, Medicine Crow said:

I've been wondering the same thing.  CBS will be airing 3 episodes on Jan. 21, & 2 episodes on the 28th & 29th, along with last night's episodes (all from Season 3).

Correction.

(edited)

Ok I guess I figured it out. Somewhere I had been informed the final new season episodes would start on January 14th. Now it has all been delayed until November 2024 for the new final episodes to air.

Edited by js9548
  • Sad 1
6 hours ago, js9548 said:

Now it has all been delayed until November 2024 for the new final episodes to air.

Yes, they announced a while back that the final episodes would air in November. Between the writers and actors strikes, and winter in Montana lasting from September to May, they haven't even filmed those episodes yet.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1