Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E04: Benjilock, Ice Shaker, Solemender, Delighted By Hummus

Tara Ariano
  • Start Topic

I don't have the patience or the stomach to start listing all the reasons Alex Rodriguez has a bad reputation. You can start with this bottom-ten list from the New York Daily News.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/a-rod-10-worst-moments-peds-lawsuits-insane-vanity-article-1.2742912

It's not just that he did steroids, it's that he went to tremendous lengths, including lawsuits and everything else, to not just claim  his own innocence, but to try to incriminate others until he finally had to give up, drop the lawsuits, and admit that he was guilty.  Contemptible.

Edited by ratgirlagogo
  • Love 3
11 hours ago, ratgirlagogo said:

I don't have the patience or the stomach to start listing all the reasons Alex Rodriguez has a bad reputation. You can start with this bottom-ten list from the New York Daily News.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/a-rod-10-worst-moments-peds-lawsuits-insane-vanity-article-1.2742912

It's not just that he did steroids, it's that he went to tremendous lengths, including lawsuits and everything else, to not just claim  his own innocence, but to try to incriminate others until he finally had to give up, drop the lawsuits, and admit that he was guilty.  Contemptible.

Wow, what a creep. So unprofessional. 

• Love 1

I prefer the nickname A-Hole.

I would really like for the presenters handing out their product to start at the left and go to the right, just to see what Princess Lori will do!

I loved the fact that Barbara was in a pantsuit -- she looked fabulous!

• Love 1
12 hours ago, ratgirlagogo said:

I didn't know any of that.  I did have a vague awareness that he had a bad reputation.  I just got this generally bad vibe from him.  Like a spoiled rich kid bragging about how hard working and smart he is because he has a lot of success.

20 hours ago, wings707 said:

She asked Mark to hand her one!  That is why we are commenting on it.  

I guess I didn't notice that.  I still think you guys are making a mountain out of a molehill here.

I was really glad that the lock guy went with Kevin.  Absolutely the right choice-Kevin does have a reputation as a tough negotiator and will ensure that this is a successful product.  Even Mark agreed that Kevin was the right direction for him.  Also, Kevin seemed to sincerely try to make multiple deals this episode.  I wonder if he is trying to turn his success rate around and be more competitive.

Although I agree with others that Lori's jacket was a bit too much, I have always preferred her look when her hair is up.  I think she has a short neck, so when she wears her hair down it just pulls her face down too much.  She looked fresher and younger to me with her hair up.  I hope she continues to wear it up.

I was disappointed that the teenager didn't get a deal for a real innovative product while the football boys got a deal for yet another version of a travel mug/cup.  The one thing I did notice about the Soul Mender was that it seemed to move too easily (the base) when people were using it.  I checked it out on Amazon and may buy one as I often have foot pain after a long day of standing.  

I thought hummus girl looked ready to cry after her first "no."  I would like to know the sugar count, etc., to make hummus sweet.  Not sure if I would try this product.

• Love 2
On 10/16/2017 at 8:02 AM, hkit said:

I am a regular consumer of powdered sports drinks and protein shakes. Like many products on this show, they showed me a problem I didn't know that I had, and I had solved it on my own for free by the end of the pitch. I took a stainless, double walled bottle I had and threw in the metal blender ball from a plastic shaker into it. Now I have an insulated protein shaker. Worked just fine this morning.

You should keep drinking those shakes, they've made you a smarter consumer than me!  :)

Edited by piewarmer
21 hours ago, Amarsir said:

BTW, a few of my favorite (from here and elsewhere) critiques on Lori's outfit:

• Why the 18th century naval uniform?
  • It looked like something Michael Jackson would have worn to court.
  • Did Lori go to an estate sale at Prince's house?
  • Looked like the fifth Beatle on the Sgt. Peppers cover.
  • I don't understand why she was dressed like Cap'n Crunch, though.

It may or may not shock you to learn that Lori said in a recent interview that she designed her own wardrobe for this season.

My first thought was that she was in a community theatre production of HMS Pinafore. Does that woman own a mirror? If that get-up is an example of her design aesthetic, I cannot wait to see future episodes. Yikes.

I'm a Patriots fan and love all things Gronk (my fantasy football team is Gronk If You Love Football) but he's an acquired taste for the uninitiated.

• Love 2

It appears that the Canadian network is continuing to air the show on Fridays which makes me happy since I already have 2 other things to tape on Sundays at that time.

I loved all the various comments about why Lori was dressed that way.

I did not have a clue who the Gronk brothers were and I have no idea why the sharks had to play a stupid water drinking game which had zero to do with the product.  They annoyed the crap out of me and I'm glad I'm not the only one.  Surprised that the sharks fell over each other to get a deal.

I thought the Sole Mender had some potential, but it seemed a bit pricey to me at $40 USD + shipping.

The hummus sounds interesting but I'll be damned if I can remember the brand name.  I would definitely try it from the grocery store.

I was surprised that the lock guy chose Kevin, but I think that Kevin can indeed make this guy a lot of money.  I think it's a great idea, especially with the backup keys.  You can share the lock for a day at a spa or gym with your friend by giving them the key.  For all the times my kids forgot their combination for their lock over the summer, this would help.

• Love 2

I went to one of the stores listed as carrying it on the Delighted by Hummus. There wasn't even a label for it in the hummus section. It's not carried there. I might check one more store (same chain; those are the only stores in my area listed as carrying it), but I give up after that.

On 10/16/2017 at 2:43 PM, columbot said:

A Rod was slimy, as expected. I like that he offered to give his card to the kid so that he could contact him when he finishes college...5 years from now. 

I think the Gronks were just a setup to increase ratings. It's obviously football season so it's no surprise ABC would want to put a famous football player on. 

The store locator for the hummus isn't working; it only shows that it's sold in Colorado.  Did the deal with Cuban really happen? Can't imagine he wouldn't ensure they have a working website for the airing. Total screwup.

Kevin actually seemed like the right deal for the lock. His point about companies licensing things and then never using them was a good one. That is a product that could be on any household front door.

The hummus site says King Soopers has it. 

On 10/18/2017 at 9:36 PM, bilgistic said:

I went to one of the stores listed as carrying it on the Delighted by Hummus. There wasn't even a label for it in the hummus section. It's not carried there. I might check one more store (same chain; those are the only stores in my area listed as carrying it), but I give up after that.

Didn't she say Wegman's was carrying it?

On 10/16/2017 at 8:57 PM, Amarsir said:

BTW, a few of my favorite (from here and elsewhere) critiques on Lori's outfit:

• Why the 18th century naval uniform?
  • It looked like something Michael Jackson would have worn to court.
  • Did Lori go to an estate sale at Prince's house?
  • Looked like the fifth Beatle on the Sgt. Peppers cover.
  • I don't understand why she was dressed like Cap'n Crunch, though.

It may or may not shock you to learn that Lori said in a recent interview that she designed her own wardrobe for this season.

Maybe my favorite post about Shark Tank ever. Thank you, Amarsir, and all who contributed. For the record, Mrs. Ottis said immediately, "Was that Michael Jackson?" while Teen Spawn of Ottis simultaneously did one of those MJ,high-pitched  "Eeee-heeees."

• Love 1

I found the Delighted by Hummus at a different store in the Harris Teeter chain. They had the vanilla, brownie batter and mint chocolate flavors. I had wanted to try the vanilla and snickerdoodle. There wasn't a tag for snickerdoodle, so they don't carry it. The hummus was $5.99, which is about maybe $2 to twice what I pay for regular, spicy or other specialty hummus at Trader Joe's.

I bought the vanilla, and interestingly enough, just to the left of the Delighted by Hummus was some "dark chocolate dessert hummus" by Boar's Head (the deli meat company). It was on sale for $3.99. I bought it.

The vanilla hummus is good. The consistency is completely smooth, which is different from any other hummus I've had. It's the color of traditional hummus, and there are tiny vanilla bean flecks throughout. I can't compare it to anything I've ever had. It's thicker and denser than frosting.

I don't know that I'd buy it again unless I found it on sale. Plus, I don't normally shop at the chain that carries it. I'm lactose intolerant, so the fact that I can eat it without issue appeals to me, but I can spend the same amount or less on some cashew or almond milk ice cream that's a much more intriguing sweet treat for some reason.

The Boar's Head chocolate hummus looks and tastes exactly like fudge frosting from Betty Crocker/Duncan Hines. It's a bit intense. I love chocolate, and it's very dark, so I'll eat it, but I wouldn't buy it again.

I also had to buy something to get the hummus in my mouth (other than just using my fingers or a spoon), and settled on honey grahams, which I never buy. That was another $3. This whole experiment set me back $14ish that'll be gone once I eat everything. It's my own fault, I know.

I ate more of the vanilla hummus last night, and realized the thickness and texture is close to almond butter. The problem with me and sweet stuff is that if I know it's in my apartment, I will eat it immediately. Plus, the hummus container says to consume contents within seven days of opening. I feel the pressure.

• Love 3
On 10/16/2017 at 11:04 PM, bilgistic said:

From the article:

Lori-Greiner-Shark-Tank-FTR.jpgWhy the gold hooker heels? (Apologies to hookers.)

That looks like Lori’s head photoshopped onto another woman’s body.

I don’t find the concept of sweet hummus the least bit enticing. Whatever it’s sweetened with is just sugar by another name, so I might as well have a real treat like a cookie or a scoop of ice cream.

Could have done without A-Rod and the Gronks.

• Love 3
15 hours ago, chocolatine said:

I don’t find the concept of sweet hummus the least bit enticing. Whatever it’s sweetened with is just sugar by another name, so I might as well have a real treat like a cookie or a scoop of ice cream.

It could be worse than sugar.  Agave is touted as being the best sweetener by many health food manufactures and consumers.  Not true. 

Is agave nectar better for you than sugar?

Agave syrup has either a dark or light amber colour and it's slightly thinner in consistency than honey. It contains 60 calories per tablespoon – versus 48 for tablesugar – but because it is about 1.5 times sweeter than sugar, you can use less of it. Nutritionally, agave syrup is similar to high-fructose corn syrup.Jul 15, 2013

• Love 2

It was weird hearing Kevin say he was from Boston. Back when he was on Dragon's Den they did a where the Dragons came from special and Kevin showed the ice cream shop where he worked for his first job. It wasn't in Boston,  it was in Ottawa and was actually in a mall just down the road from my house. 

• Love 1