Type keyword(s) to search

S14.E05: Danger Zone

• Start Topic

On 10/28/2017 at 10:44 AM, Stacey1014 said:

Interesting considering that in the previous episode, Amelia mentioned she picked April as her medical POA because she knew she’d be there for Owen. 

I don't remember Amelia saying that. I thought she said she picked April because she knew she'd actually be able to pull the plug (as opposed to people closer to her, I guess).

Although she knows Meredith had no problem doing that with Derek, so I'm not sure it really makes sense.

• Love 1

Well, my first post here since IMDb board has been shut down...

I was bored the whole time. I appreciate that they wanted to finish some storylines and give us some backstories, but hey, they could have done that without this army-centric episode. it would have taken them 10 minutes, maximum.

I didn't care for Owen's lost sister and I bet many of viewers don't care either, so why make the most of four episodes about her and then do one especially focused on her? Why didn't they do that with Joe and his boyfriend? Or Izzie's mom? They were minor characters as well....

On the other hand, the direction this season is taking is surprisingly good. I hope they keep it up

• Love 4
7 hours ago, Anela said:

Megan's little angry speech about people being flawed, is annoying me even more right now. Just because she still directed Owen to dump Amelia, without actually saying her name. People are flawed, but Ms. brain tumour needs to be dumped? 

I don't think Megan's speech was her trying to tell Owen to dump Amelia. It was more a speech about letting yourself be happy and grasping on to any small amount of happiness you find because life is short. Owen was the one who came to the conclusion that for him that meant separating from Amelia (which was the first sound decision he's made in seasons imo). 

I'm more upset that her speech/the writing seemed to be trying to normalize cheating as some thing that "just happens" because people are "flawed". I get that it does happen, but this show makes it seem like every one cheats on their SO's and they hardly ever deal with it. They just try to normalize it and brush it under the rug. Cheating isn't normal, it's a big deal!

Edited by only1shoe
spelling/grammar
  • Love 2
7 minutes ago, only1shoe said:

I don't think Megan's speech was her trying to tell Owen to dump Amelia. It was more a speech about letting yourself be happy and grasping on to any small amount of happiness you find because life is short. Owen was the one who came to the conclusion that for him that meant separating from Amelia (which was the first sound decision he's made in seasons imo). 

I'm more upset that her speech/the writing seemed to be trying to normalize cheating as some thing that "just happens" because people are "flawed". I get that it does happen, but this show makes it seem like every one cheats on their SO's and they hardly ever deal with it. They just try to normalize it and brush it under the rug. Cheating isn't normal, it's a big deal!

It all goes back to “you did a bad thing, you’re not a bad person”...I’m honestly more grossed out that Nathan, in an effort to cover up his infedelity, used this other girls necklace to propose to his girlfriend. I was more irritated that THAT was being swept under the rug.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, only1shoe said:

That bothered me, too. 

On 10/26/2017 at 8:48 PM, chocolatine said:
On 10/26/2017 at 8:11 PM, LexieLily said:

Yes, you could. Both my mom and I noticed it. Is he British?

He's Scottish. Before Grey's I've only seen him in the movie Trainspotting, so it took me a while to get used to his American accent. BTW, that movie launched several Scottish/British actors. Ewan McGregor, Johnny Lee Miller, Robert Carlyle, Kelly Macdonald, etc.

He plays his normal Scottish accent in Made of Honor, with Patrick Dempsey (2008). 

On ‎10‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 5:58 AM, Mrs. DuRona said:

Well, that was... a thing.  Looking forward to returning to our regularly scheduled programming next week.  

Every box fan I've ever bought comes already assembled.  I fully admit, I wasn't paying that much attention, but did I miss something?  Was it broken?  

Yeah, that's all I got, haha.

It was heinous pure and simple. Ugh. Barely worth commenting about. Was that a show within a show? WTF?

• Love 1

Meghan Eleanor Hunt... her initials are MEH?  Huh. Kinda works.

And I guess this is an unpopular opinion but not everybody finds their soulmate, let alone at their workplace.

Edited by Qoass
  • Love 8

Ok, now that I have finally watched the episode (thanks Mom for letting me access your Xfinity account!) I can give my two cents properly. I didn't think I was going to enjoy the episode at all, but I actually kind of liked it!

Like others have said, I find it incredibly hard to believe that Megan was perfectly fine after being held hostage for ten years. Someone mentioned they would have liked to see how it came about that she adopted Farouk, but that didn't happen. This Iraqi woman, though; wasn't she badly injured? If she did taser or shoot Megan, the pilot would have flown them back to base, right? This Iraqi woman did not look strong enough to move and hold the pilot at gunpoint. What happened to that pilot anyways? As someone else said, why didn't Teddy send someone after that helicopter?

I know... This is Grey's and we're supposed to suspend every single ounce of belief when it comes to this show... but still! Do the writers really think we're that stupid? That we'll actually believe that Teddy didn't call for assistance, that this badly-injured Iraqi woman managed to either maneuver the helicopter or hold the pilot at gunpoint, that Megan had ten blissful years as a hostage where the insurgents allowed her to raise their child? In what world does this happen? Other than the fictional universe that is Grey's Anatomy.

I never really began to like Nathan until this season, and I can definitely say I am disappointed to see him go. I didn't like how he was written off, how after two seasons of pursuing Meredith in a near-stalkerish fashion, that he goes running back to Megan. I know he thought Megan was dead, but still. There should have been a proper storyline to close up Meredith and Nathan's relationship for good. I didn't like how it was handled at all. With Megan and Meredith trying to hand Nathan to the other as if they were in the eighth grade.

I am looking forward to next week's episode, I don't know anything that was said in the trailer. But it looks like someone bought a boat? I really don't need to see any men shirtless, thank you very much. Unless it's going to turn into material more suitable for Showtime, put your shirts on.

• Love 4

I only had 2 thoughts for this episode:

1- This is actually really, really boring

2 - They sure went to a lot of trouble to write off Riggs, when they just could have had him go out to the parking lot or move to Arizona.

Still, I am glad that they at least took the time to close off this (and the Owen/Amelia) story line.  I get the feeling that a lot of this season will be trying to put this show back on the right track and I'm...okay with that.  It may not produce the best episodes, but I think it is laying some important groundwork that has eroded the last few seasons.

• Love 2

I think I'm one of the few people on this planet who actually loved the episode. I loved it so much I actually want a spin off. They made military life and surgery in those conditions look SO interesting. If I'm not mistaken, a show like that hasn't been done before. If anyone knows if it has, please let me know so I can watch it.

I also knew going in to expect a standalone episode based on Riggs, Owen, Teddy and Megan so there was no disappointment factor for me either.

On 27. 10. 2017 at 5:29 PM, Pallas said:

Along with her career, Meredith might also be seen to take an interest in at least one of her three children, as a person worth getting to know. A line or two in passing, here and there, in which she doesn't refer to them collectively and only in terms of their need for care and feeding, like three baby turtles she's trying to keep alive in a second-hand aquarium until their shells harden up

The writers really suck at her showing us her motherly side.

On 31. 10. 2017 at 11:20 AM, RedheadZombie said:

Interesting that Nathan had the best write off of any character on this show ever.  It actually teared me up a little.

It was a lovely scene.

On 27. 10. 2017 at 7:58 PM, Madding crowd said:

Back to the show-Megan seems too giddy and almost hysterical at times. I dont believe she could heal so fast from her injuries, and I find her story of raising a son for ten years in captivity a bit suspect. I also think a husband and wife who have been away from each other for ten years are going to have a hard time reconnecting. I don't mind Riggs leaving-they never knew quite what to do with him, and I think Meredith treated him like crap. 

I agree.

Edited by Nobodysfan
  • Love 3
On 10/31/2017 at 6:10 PM, doLLish said:

They made military life and surgery in those conditions look SO interesting. If I'm not mistaken, a show like that hasn't been done before. If anyone knows if it has, please let me know so I can watch it.

I don’t know how well the show holds up today, but China Beach has some similar qualities if you replace the desert for jungle. It’s from the late 80s with Michael Boatman and Dana Delaney.

• Love 1