Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E12: Live in the All Along

• Start Topic

I believe Nova feels she doesn’t deserve love, that’s why she sabotages her relationships, I knew what Robert was doing.  Nova needs to stop going from zero to sixty.

Can someone make Landry go away permanently?  He's like those white people who can't just let black folk be.  I mean live your own fucking life, don't care about what everybody else is doing.  Men like Landry are assholes who need a swift kick in the balls.

Ugh, Nova you find a good man and drive him away, she’s as frustrating as Ralph Angel, just a ball of self sabotage.  Nova would rather be righ than happy.  Robert should leave because if he stays with her he’ll spend his life walking on eggshells because all she does is look for the bad, looks for someone to disrespect her.  I don’t get her at all.

Go Charley!

Edited by Neurochick
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Neurochick said:

Ugh, Nova you find a good man and drive him away, she’s as frustrating as Ralph Angel, just a ball of self sabotage.  Nova would rather be righ than happy.  Robert should leave because if he stays with her he’ll spend his life walking on eggshells because all she does is look for the bad, looks for someone to disrespect her.  I don’t get her at all.

Nova's been looking for an exit with Robert for a minute. She froze up when he gave her his key, was uncomfortable when he gave her the necklace, so him flipping the script on her during the interview was her way out. I get being annoyed that he changed up the plan without telling her, but the way she went on about it, you'd think he called her a bitch.

She was right when she told him that he isn't good for her. Nova just needs to be honest with herself and say straight up that she wants to keep things casual. That way, no one wastes their time.

RA continues to be a walking millennial stereotype.

• Love 3
13 hours ago, Sheenieb said:

Nova's been looking for an exit with Robert for a minute. She froze up when he gave her his key, was uncomfortable when he gave her the necklace, so him flipping the script on her during the interview was her way out. I get being annoyed that he changed up the plan without telling her, but the way she went on about it, you'd think he called her a bitch.

She was right when she told him that he isn't good for her. Nova just needs to be honest with herself and say straight up that she wants to keep things casual. That way, no one wastes their time.

RA continues to be a walking millennial stereotype.

Nova's got the combination of dealing with her "daddy issues" as well as inheriting her mother's free spirit. She is destined to run into trouble whenever she tries to settle down into a serious relationship.  I sympathize with her because I deal with the very same issues. I've tripped over a good man to get to a loser many times in my life because I'm scared to death of commitment and have a hard time believing/accepting that someone could want to actually get serious with me. I agree that Nova should just keep things casual until she decides she wants to make changes within herself.  Seeing Greg Vaughn in the previews, I was like "Yup, she's going to sleep with him again."  He "knows" her and doesn't challenge her so its easy for her.

RA continues to be annoying. Ernest "broke his back" at the farm and cleaned toilets to make ends meet but RA apparently is so damn entitled that he thinks  he shouldn't have to do that. . He succeeded in breaking even (apparently something neither Ernest nor Prosper had been able to do in recent years), and he can't even be happy about that.  And here's where my weekly "Fuck You, Ralph Angel" comes in. He really needs to grow the hell up already.

Edited by AgentRXS
  • Love 9

I'm not sure what to say about Nova and Robert. He should know by now that she doesn't like those kind of surprises, so that was a huge miscalculation on his part. He wants to be a big time power couple; she doesn't. What can you do? They want two different lives.

I'd be annoyed too if someone kept pushing me in ways I didn't want, as if what I do isn't good enough. Maybe if they kept the professional and personal separate, things could work for them. Robert was trying to be a borderline Svengali, and Nova wasn't up for it.

Edited by mrsbagnet
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, mrsbagnet said:

I'm not sure what to say about Nova and Robert. He should know by now that she doesn't like those kind of surprises, so that was a huge miscalculation on his part. He wants to be a big time power couple; she doesn't. What can you do? They want two different lives.

I'd be annoyed too if someone kept pushing me in ways I didn't want, as if what I do isn't good enough. Maybe if they kept the professional and personal separate, things could work for them. Robert was trying to be a borderline Svengali, and Nova wasn't up for it.

I didn't see it as being a Svengali..... I think he thought he was uplifting her by challenging her to spread her wings, but she perceived it as him trying to change her.  If she didn't have her issues with Ernest, I think she would have been willing to work out this bump in the road with Robert. But she is not in a place in her life where shewants to compromise with anyone, so it was a dealbreaker for her.

Edited by AgentRXS
  • Love 1

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I feel like Nova and Chantel broke up for a similar reason last season, didn't they? They were both activists and bonded over that, but wanted to go about it in different ways. I think both Chantel and Robert had bigger pictures in mind, bigger change, while Nova just doesn't want that; she'd rather help the people closest to her. What Nova needs to do is try to separate her work and activism from her romantic relationships. I really liked her "I think you're a very good man, but you're no good for me. I don't need you to dream for me, I like what I got" line during their breakup scene.

I'm happy for Darla, but also worried. Her parents are no doubt going to bring some drama and I hope she can handle it. Charley's mother was kind of built up to a lot worse than she ended up being, though, so maybe Darla's parents will surprise me, too. But I'm not counting on it.

I am just irked by every second of screentime they spend on Davis that doesn't involve Micah or Charley. Do they think I care about anything that's going on in his life? Suffer.

RA annoyed me as usual, but slightly less so. I'm sure he'll make up for it in coming episodes, though.

• Love 5
9 hours ago, mrsbagnet said:

5 hours ago, colorbars said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I feel like Nova and Chantel broke up for a similar reason last season, didn't they? They were both activists and bonded over that, but wanted to go about it in different ways. I think both Chantel and Robert had bigger pictures in mind, bigger change, while Nova just doesn't want that; she'd rather help the people closest to her. What Nova needs to do is try to separate her work and activism from her romantic relationships. I really liked her "I think you're a very good man, but you're no good for me. I don't need you to dream for me, I like what I got" line during their breakup scene.

I'm happy for Darla, but also worried. Her parents are no doubt going to bring some drama and I hope she can handle it. Charley's mother was kind of built up to a lot worse than she ended up being, though, so maybe Darla's parents will surprise me, too. But I'm not counting on it.

I am just irked by every second of screentime they spend on Davis that doesn't involve Micah or Charley. Do they think I care about anything that's going on in his life? Suffer.

RA annoyed me as usual, but slightly less so. I'm sure he'll make up for it in coming episodes, though.

I was just coming here to say this. I don't think that Nova was self-sabotaging with Robert. He's a great man on paper--smart, successful, ambitious, fine as all get out--but in the end, none of that translated into him actually knowing Nova and being understanding of how she chooses to use her voice and politics. Chantal did the same thing with Nova last season--tried to enforce her brand of activism on Nova, much to Nova's dismay. 

Nova has shown time and again that she isn't interested in being the next permanent member of some cable news round table discussion show. She wants to do the work, write about it, get people thinking and activated enough to also engage in their local communities. She's not interested in being a brand or trending on Twitter for some on air back-and-forth. Robert failed to see that.  

• Love 7

Nova's shown that she wouldn't mind a significantly larger platform.

She just wants it on her terms, which while admirable enough, isn't likely to happen.

So her remaining local isn't necessarily an extension of her activism, as much as it is a product of her intractability.

Edited by Dee
  • Love 4

Frankly, I don't know why she even agreed to forgive him, let alone, accept his proposal.

He's shown a stunning lack of interest in her, beyond positioning her as his newest mommy figure.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, bichonblitz said:

I wish Darla would show some real happiness. She is in a constant state of worry and doubt. I want to see her laugh. Let me see your teeth, Darla! She can be as much of a downer as RA.

1 hour ago, LilWharveyGal said:

I would love to see Darla be genuinely happy, but frankly if I was about to marry RA I'd be in a constant state of worry and doubt, too.

1 hour ago, Dee said:

Frankly, I don't know why she even agreed to forgive him, let alone, accept his proposal.

He's shown a stunning lack of interest in her, beyond positioning her as his newest mommy figure.

A-freakin'-men. If she had a truly kind and fully supportive partner, I think this estrangement from her parents might not be quite as painful. She's not happy because Ralph Angel offers her no security. Like none at all - not financial, not emotional, not even physical (still can't believe he didn't even react when that dude trash-talked her at the gas station). Their future is too uncertain.

I'm wondering if the reason she accepted his proposal is because she believes she can't have better or doesn't deserve better due to her past. Plus, she wants to be a mother to Blue, so she's stuck with Ralph Angel in her life anyway. It's telling that Vi is the first person she told about her parents. If she and RA had a good relationship, she would have been crying on his shoulder. I also think she's worried her parents won't approve of RA.

I'm curious why none of the other Bordelons have commented on how unhappy she looks. I wish her sponsor would show up again.

How did Ralph Angel miss that he wasn't going to make any money being a farmer?

• Love 6

Darla is too good for Ralph Angel. 

I think two or three or more people can watch the same show and see it differently, based on our own experiences.

Here’s what gets me about Nova.  She’s one of those people who wants it their way 100% of the time.  If anybody else tries to tell her something different, she attacks them.  She knows, she knows, she knows it all.  She knows the best way how to help “her people” no one else knows better than Nova.  Which, I think is silly, no one knows everything.  I’m always grateful when someone shows me another way, because the older I get, the less I know.

I had a friend like that, she thought she knew everything, and she “I know-ed” herself into an early grave, because she thought she knew better than everybody on the planet, including her doctors. 

I think Nova saw Robert as manipulative, because of how SHE saw things; which isn’t wrong, but sometimes I think Nova feels that everybody else is wrong, and she alone is right about everything.

What Robert did to her on the CNN show wasn’t nice.  But tearing off the pearls and storming out is the behavior of a child, not of an adult.  Adults sit down and discuss things.  Nova IMO is as immature as Ralph Angel.  

• Love 7

This is an interesting conversation because I remember months back folks weren't seeing it for Remy telling Charley what she needed to do about the farm, about the mill, and about her money. However, Robert essentially telling Nova who she should be and how she should approach her activism and journalism is not a failing of Robert's but an indictment on how immovable Nova can be (or is?).

• Love 5
On 10/18/2017 at 7:14 PM, Neurochick said:

I knew what Robert was doing.  Nova needs to stop going from zero to sixty.

Partners don't blindside each other (especially on TV). Some people are more nimble at picking up the "game" than others. So I get why Nova was pissed. Going from zero to sixty is a family trait, so far as I can tell.

On 10/18/2017 at 9:42 PM, mrsbagnet said:

I think he was thinking more Bill and Hilary - but you need two people on board, two people who want that.

On 10/19/2017 at 7:17 AM, Dee said:

Nova's shown that she wouldn't mind a significantly larger platform.

She just wants it on her terms, which while admirable enough, isn't likely to happen.

So her remaining local isn't necessarily an extension of her activism, as much as it is a product of her intractability.

Well said.

18 hours ago, Dee said:

I agree. I was actually shocked when he seemed happy for her, and supportive, when she told him about her parents calling.

59 minutes ago, Mozelle said:

This is an interesting conversation because I remember months back folks weren't seeing it for Remy telling Charley what she needed to do about the farm, about the mill, and about her money. However, Robert essentially telling Nova who she should be and how she should approach her activism and journalism is not a failing of Robert's but an indictment on how immovable Nova can be (or is?).

I dunno, I remember it a little differently. I recall a fair bit of push back about Remy - at least when it got beyond the expertise and advice Charley specifically requested.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 1

"You people." It never stops sounding as awful as it's likely intended.

That moment when you realize your ex-husband is getting with a famous pop star who sorta looks like a younger version of you.

RA continues to be annoying. Ernest "broke his back" at the farm and cleaned toilets to make ends meet but RA apparently is so damn entitled that he thinks  he shouldn't have to do that. . He succeeded in breaking even (apparently something neither Ernest nor Prosper had been able to do in recent years), and he can't even be happy about that.  And here's where my weekly "Fuck You, Ralph Angel" comes in. He really needs to grow the hell up already.

This. A thousand times.

What Nova needs to do is try to separate her work and activism from her romantic relationships. I really liked her "I think you're a very good man, but you're no good for me. I don't need you to dream for me, I like what I got" line during their breakup scene.

I agree. Nova may keep picking the wrong people but I don't know why she should stay with someone once she realizes they're bad for her (or she for them). Besides, I always thought their living so far away from each other would become an issue eventually. Someone would probably to have to move and it wasn't going to be Nova. Wonder how long it'll be before she sees him on TV with his next human refab project.

Robert failed to see that.   

Oh I think he saw it, he just thought he could change her.

Edited by Joimiaroxeu
On 10/19/2017 at 0:26 PM, bichonblitz said:

I wish Darla would show some real happiness. She is in a constant state of worry and doubt. I want to see her laugh. Let me see your teeth, Darla! She can be as much of a downer as RA. 

Sorry but this sounds like the men that yell at women on the street to smile. She's pregnant, has a difficult relationship with her parents, is in a difficult/complex relationship and at the moment doesn't seem to have a sponsor to help her navigate any of that. I say she has every right NOT to smile.

• Love 3
Just now, Dee said:

When did Nova and Charley reconcile with Ralph Angel?

I don't think we've seen that happen. They did mention it, I think, in kind of an off handed way. Maybe they plan to address it later. Though given that Remy's bullshit from before the break has been completely ignored, who knows? It does feel like a big hole in the story to me.

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

I don't think we've seen that happen. They did mention it, I think, in kind of an off handed way. Maybe they plan to address it later. Though given that Remy's bullshit from before the break has been completely ignored, who knows? It does feel like a big hole in the story to me.

Exactly.

Ralph Angel essentially spat in all three of their faces (Violet, Nova & Charley) prior to the mid-season break and now they're back to coddling and complimenting him as if nothing ever happened.

And you're right, it's the same with Remy and Charley.

He all but referred to her as a controlling manipulator for wanting to handle her business & divorce her way, yet now she's kissing him at the Brown Sugar Fest like she's a groupie at a Prince concert? It makes no sense.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Drumpf1737 said:

Sorry but this sounds like the men that yell at women on the street to smile. She's pregnant, has a difficult relationship with her parents, is in a difficult/complex relationship and at the moment doesn't seem to have a sponsor to help her navigate any of that. I say she has every right NOT to smile.

No, it's just me saying I wish she would smile. Let's not make a thing out of it. And for the record, I have never in my life seen any man yell at any woman on the street to smile. 

3 hours ago, bichonblitz said:

No, it's just me saying I wish she would smile. Let's not make a thing out of it. And for the record, I have never in my life seen any man yell at any woman on the street to smile. 

I tend to have Resting Bitch Face, and have been screamed at to "smile" by strangers (mostly men) more times than I care to count. It does happen.

Darla should have never agreed to marry him to begin with. Everyone with eyes can see he's got a lot of maturing to do before he's ready  to be an adult. I am waiting for Remy or Prosper to get tired of his shit, and to just let him know what a fucking immature baby he is and to man the fuck up. I know his sisters told him just as much last season, but I think he needs to hear it from an older man to get the message across.

Edited by AgentRXS
  • Love 8

Nova did seem inflexible with Robert while they were together, but then back home,  when Charley pointed out to her that the seeming conflict produced "good tv," she seemed to reconsider. So, I was not expecting Nova to completely  finish the relationship off when he came to the Brown Sugar Festival just to find her. That was good tv!

Also found Nova a bit less Know-it-All when she made Vi go back over the history of her father and mother's breakups so she could form her own opinions about Charley's mother. She's impassioned and can be harsh, but now we have seen her flexibility. 

I love this show!

• Love 2
On 10/19/2017 at 7:47 PM, Neurochick said:

I think two or three or more people can watch the same show and see it differently, based on our own experiences.

This is very true. I'm someone who hates being told what do, especially by men. Someone trying to "improve" me in ways I did not ask for would rub me the wrong way. So while I really wanted Nova and Robert to work out, I wasn't that bothered by her ending the relationship. I do feel sorry for him, though. He probably thought he'd found his soulmate. On paper, they really are perfect for each other.

• Love 4

Is Darla biracial? From the previews for next week, there was a man in the background during Darla’s voiceover. He looked white or very light skin.

I wasn’t confident Nova and Robert would make it but I thought they would last until the season finale.

I’m glad Prosper talked to Ralph Angel about the finances of the farm. When RA said he never saw so much money before, I thought he would go crazy spending on what he wants without thinking of things he needs to get for the farm.

RA wants to give Darla a big expensive wedding. Is that what Darla wants? 

11 hours ago, AgentRXS said:

Darla should have never agreed to marry him to begin with. Everyone with eyes can see he's got a lot of maturing to do before he's ready  to be an adult. I am waiting for Remy or Prosper to get tired of his shit, and to just let him know what a fucking immature baby he is and to man the fuck up. I know his sisters told him just as much last season, but I think he needs to hear it from an older man to get the message across.

It really looked like Hollywood wanted to say something. I was hoping he would, too. RA would listen to the men because it's very obvious he won't listen to what any of the women have to say unless they are complimenting him. 

12 hours ago, bichonblitz said:

Not yelled at but men have told me to smile. I would ask why and tell them they don't know what I'm going through. Some have even approached me with arms wide open wanting a hug and I say no. I'm not hugging a stranger. Of course I get called stuck up or bitch. 

On ‎10‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 5:46 PM, mrsbagnet said:

I'm curious why none of the other Bordelons have commented on how unhappy she looks. I wish her sponsor would show up again.

How did Ralph Angel miss that he wasn't going to make any money being a farmer?

RA doesn't understand business and he's not observant of things around him. I can't recall if Charley said it but it was implied it will take a few years before the farm makes a profit given the state it was in when Ernest died. RA can make money as a farmer but there were a lot of issues with the farm that needed to be taken care of. Charley has taken care of some of the issues with her money. RA who wants to run the farm himself has to take care of the rest. He should be grateful for the money Charley has invested in already and her creating the mill otherwise he wouldn’t be breaking even in his first year. He’ll still be heavily in the red. If Charley’s mill succeeds and the farm has another good season without major issues, RA can have extra spending money as early as next season.

15 hours ago, Dee said:

When did Nova and Charley reconcile with Ralph Angel?

I don’t think they really did. Charley only talked to RA again after Vi called her because RA needed money to pay bills. I think the Bordelon children handled the will fall out by putting space between each other to deal with it their own way. Charley contacted her mother and focused on the mill. Nova focused on her and Robert. When all three got back together, they didn’t talk about the issue because they are dealing with it on their own but if all three come to blows again, it will come back up.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Arcadiasw said:

RA wants to give Darla a big expensive wedding. Is that what Darla wants? 

That was my immediate question. But I think as the episode went on I starting thinking that maybe Darla did want that simple wedding - it would be less hurtful not to have her parents there, and she's probably a little clearer on the bottom line than RA - since she's actually had to make a living for herself without anyone else's help. 

I got married by a judge, which if it suits you, isn't a sad thing. Cost was a big issue -  I did not want to pay what it costs to have a "real" wedding, and neither of us were church goers. We had a big party after that was a lot of fun and low stress. 

On the other hand, Darla was shopping for that beautiful wedding dress, so I'm not sure.

I think that Darla did want a bigger wedding, but she was too sad that her parents wouldn't be there to really want it. She always seemed sad when she talked about the judge and the small wedding, so maybe now she will want something bigger. Or at least a big party afterwards if she really does want to just go to a judge. Or maybe she does want this, and she is just said because shes marrying RA :) 

Speaking of, I really need Hollywood or Remy to finally tell RA to suck it up and act like an adult for once. He is just so damn entitled and lazy, and just expects everything to magically happen for him at once. How much did he think the farm was going to make? He knows how hard it so to be a farmer, and how much they've struggled. Why is he so shocked? Oh, and he is apparently too good to take the night shift work that Hollywood gave him. His dad scrubbed toilets to provide for his kids, but RA is just too important for such grunt work! This is a guy who we were introduced to committing armed robbery for bus money! But hard work is a no go! 

I always figured that if Nova and Robert broke up, if would be because of their extremely different approaches to activism. Nova is all passion and fire and wants to help her community right now, while Robert is very methodical and logic based, and looks towards the bigger picture when it comes to helping people. I think Nova does have a tendency to push people away, and focus on her activism so much that she doesn't have to deal with her own life and problems, but I dont blame her for breaking up with Robert, even if it makes me sad. I like Robert, and while they looked perfect on paper, they ended up being rather incompatible. If they do get back together though, and they realize they cant change each other, I would be happy with that as well. 

On the other hand, I never want to see Davis and Charlie get close to reconciling. Its nice to see them getting along and Davis acting like a decent person, because theyll still need to see each other for Micahs sake, but they should never even considering getting back together. Charlie deserves better. Also, the party might have been small, but it looked fun! I love Charlie, and I get her anger and frustration, but she needs to let loose sometimes. 

• Love 3
21 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

I always figured that if Nova and Robert broke up, if would be because of their extremely different approaches to activism. Nova is all passion and fire and wants to help her community right now, while Robert is very methodical and logic based, and looks towards the bigger picture when it comes to helping people.

Love this observation. Dead on.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, tennisgurl said:

On the other hand, I never want to see Davis and Charlie get close to reconciling. Its nice to see them getting along and Davis acting like a decent person, because theyll still need to see each other for Micahs sake, but they should never even considering getting back together. Charlie deserves better. Also, the party might have been small, but it looked fun! I love Charlie, and I get her anger and frustration, but she needs to let loose sometimes. 

The saddest thing about Charley and Davis being broken up for good is that Micah will be crushed.

After everything that's happened he still held out his parents would find their way back to each other, because underneath all his intelligence and maturity, he's still a kid.

• Love 1

Nova and Robert are both impassioned Lone Wolves who have developed a very precise approach to how they solve community problems. The issue is that Robert is ready to start a pack, and Nova isn't. Has he been high-handed and overbearing? Sure, but when challenged, he has shown an authentic desire to adjust make space for Nova. But Nova acts like their respective personalities are struck in stone, and if they don't fit perfectly, then there's no hope. There are kinks in any *real* relationship, and Calvin was comfortable precisely because this could be dispensed with under the guise of outside forces (his wife and family, the hostility of their respective communities, etc). 

Honestly, Robert and Charley should have been the ones to get together, their personalities are very well aligned, and Charley is used to the jet setting lifestyle. Remy and Nova are both community-focused and righteous about it. Partner swap!

I'm glad that Vi has decided to accept Darla, because boy does she need someone to give even an inch of support. I am very, very worried for her when her parents come...

Because RA still ain't shit. I cannot believe he even fixed his mouth to whine about breaking even to Prosper, of all people. Boy wouldn't have shit to harvest without Charley's money, Remy's cane, and Prosper's constant guidance and advice. Whining about breaking even. Turning his nose up at extra work to make the money for Darla. He doesn't want to do right by her, he wants to show off what a man he is without putting in the actual work. 

I find it very hard to believe that Charley would have a 'handshake' deal with anyone for something so big (esp w/ some random side character that has no connection to the family). That's bending the character to suit the storyline. Charley closing that door for Davis was so painful. They can never get back to that place, but it hurts them both so much to know it's gone forever. Davis desperately wanting to run to Charley to figure out what to do about his injury was sad. Yea, she was you rock, dummy, and you threw it all away. Suffer.

Edited by rozen
  • Love 6
21 minutes ago, rozen said:

Honestly, Robert and Charley should have been the ones to get together, their personalities are very well aligned, and Charley is used to the jet setting lifestyle. Remy and Nova are both community-focused and righteous about it. Partner swap!

I'm still surprised QS never acknowledged that Remy might be a rebound.

They implied it when Remy accused Charley of being a control freak, but nobody has really confronted Charley about jumping into another serious relationship so soon after her divorce.

• Love 2
55 minutes ago, rozen said:

I find it very hard to believe that Charley would have a 'handshake' deal with anyone for something so big (esp w/ some random side character that has no connection to the family). That's bending the character to suit the storyline. 

Interesting point about Remy and Nova - though imo Remy's a bit too judgmental for Nova's ways of doing things.

Yeah, I had trouble with the handshake agreement too. I was unclear about the grounds in the first place - if it was public grounds, most municipalities require a permit to hold a public event - so that wouldn't be a handshake agreement.

It was also a bit over the top for Landry to block an important route (for everyone - white and black alike) to interfere with Charley. (at least, I think that is what was implied by the road closures). 

• Love 2
On 10/18/2017 at 9:33 PM, AgentRXS said:

And here's where my weekly "Fuck You, Ralph Angel" comes in.

I hope you you have a big fat pile of those!

On 10/19/2017 at 2:46 PM, mrsbagnet said:

I also think she's worried her parents won't approve of RA.

If they have any sense...

On 10/20/2017 at 8:05 AM, Joimiaroxeu said:

That moment when you realize your ex-husband is getting with a famous pop star who sorta looks like a younger version of you.

Then.. "But I getting with Remy, so it's OK".

• Love 1

very interesting to read everyone's thoughts about the nova-robert relationship.  for me, once he said that she wouldn't, or shouldn't, have to 'settle' for 'staying' in the ninth ward, i knew it was over.  it's not just that they have different approaches to activism, or different scales of social change with which they are comfortable, that constitutes core difficulty.  it's that nova's very conscious decision to live in the ninth ward, to stay there through the neighborhood's hardships, and her connections with the people -- these are integral not only to her activist desires and practices, but to who she is and her life choices and goals.  robert framed her living there as a stepping stone, as one rung on a 'ladder of success,' indicating as well that he has a very fundamentally different world view and frame for what constitutes 'happiness' and a 'good life.'  nova's values are coming from a different place, in my opinion.

(p.s. i absolutely love the nova (and the way rutina wesley plays her).  and i don't think she's self-righteous - i just think she knows who she is and is very clear about her goals and values.  there is a chance that i very much identify with those aspects of her character...)

• Love 4