Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E05: Kamaʻomaʻo, ka ʻāina huli hana (At Kamaʻomaʻo, the Land of Activities)

• Start Topic

That was just way over the top. Glad that Claire is back and she did not go to prison her character

Plus Steve really I am glad he is no longer the selfish bleep he has been in seasons but last season and this season, he is back to being the caring Steve

Danny getting hurt with his arm as he will now have an excuse not to drive, as Steve will have to drive him.

And really this was just way over the top IMHO.

Love Tani and Junior really growing on me. Love his story and how Steve is mentoring him.

But give this episode 5/10! Love that Jerry is trying to become Max. 

First and foremost, I think this is Hawaii 5-0's best Halloween episode yet. The stories were interesting, the villain was good and the mystical mumbo-jumbo works out in the end. Good character beats from everyone, even the minor characters.

I do find myself wondering if there was some plotline going on in the back pockets of Tani's perfectly fitted jeans because the camera sure seemed to think there was.

Junior is an HPD trainee and his dog (actually Steve's dog) should be retired after a GSW. But I guess that search was all hands on deck which is why a trainee was leading a drug dog through the woods looking for a kidnap victim.

Speaking of all hands on deck, Steve tells Alicia that she was basically deputized into 5-0 when she committed that murder therefore it's okay. Epic corruption < Means and Immunity.

I liked the Grover story simply because it didn't have some shitty manipulative twist at the end. It turns out the murderer who was being executed honestly did want to help this poor cop who couldn't prove his ex-partner murdered his own wife.

Can we have a spinoff, Hawaii 5-0 Eddie?

• Love 2
15 minutes ago, dwmarch said:

First and foremost, I think this is Hawaii 5-0's best Halloween episode yet. The stories were interesting, the villain was good and the mystical mumbo-jumbo works out in the end. Good character beats from everyone, even the minor characters.

I do find myself wondering if there was some plotline going on in the back pockets of Tani's perfectly fitted jeans because the camera sure seemed to think there was.

Junior is an HPD trainee and his dog (actually Steve's dog) should be retired after a GSW. But I guess that search was all hands on deck which is why a trainee was leading a drug dog through the woods looking for a kidnap victim.

Speaking of all hands on deck, Steve tells Alicia that she was basically deputized into 5-0 when she committed that murder therefore it's okay. Epic corruption < Means and Immunity.

I liked the Grover story simply because it didn't have some shitty manipulative twist at the end. It turns out the murderer who was being executed honestly did want to help this poor cop who couldn't prove his ex-partner murdered his own wife.

Can we have a spinoff, Hawaii 5-0 Eddie?

It was a very good episode. 

As for that plotline, I'm guessing both Junior and the camera man were interested. 

If Eddie were retired, there'd be little reason to watch Five-0. Besides Eddie is a wonder dog whose only drawback is not being housebroken so of course he can track a kidnap victim. We need more Eddie so long as he doesn't get hurt again. 

As for Alicia, I would have called that justifiable homicide. Dr. Gray needed to be stopped. The woman had come into her house with a gun, had tried to kill her previously, kidnapped her daughter, and was in her kitchen. She then basically taunted her to pull the trigger saying she'd come after her and her daughter again once out of jail. Doesn't the Castle Doctrine apply anyway?  

Your point is still valid though. Five-0 has gotten away with a lot of morally and legally questionable actions.  

As for Lou, I was glad that despite being unable to stay the execution, Lou was able to get the info he needed. 

Convoluted plot but kudos for blending heritage and horror and for fairly credibly involving just about everyone.

Spotted continuity errors (arms crossed/arms uncrossed, leaning/not leaning) in the cutaways of Danno particularly - I find that stuff really irritating. 

I personally couldn't care less about Dr Claire's storyline.

So how exactly was the killer a serial killer. She only killed 2 people. Maybe I watched to many Criminal Minds episodes but I feel like they had killers kill more then 2 people but never once refered to them as serial. And how exactly did Claire help at all in figuring out/ finding the killer. Steve figured out the next legend that was going to be used then the kidnapped girl led them to the killer because they are related. So I'm not sure what was profiled. The fact they the only reason why I know what happened with Claire and Grey was because someone posted here what was posted on Twitter. It left a bad taste in my mouth. I shouldn't need to follow a show on Twitter to know how a story ends. I don't care about Claire any more and I'm not all that happy she seems to be on the show now.

Wow it's been 3 years since bubba Gump killed his wife. They sure did drag the hell out of this story. He's in jail I dont care if it's because he killed his wife or not. But Grover needs to be a Chicago hero so he needs to have a win. 

Is the creepy sister killer going to be a recurring thing. Or just a scary reminder she wasn't caught.

What did Scott do to himself this time. I feel like he is hurt somehow every season. 

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, notcreative enough said:

I don't care about Claire any more and I'm not all that happy she seems to be on the show now.

This is how I feel as well. I just do not care about her.

I did like the conversation between Tani and Junior where Tani told him that she got kicked out from the academy and ended up joining the team. I wonder if there is going to be a follow up with Junior and Steve about him telling Junior that he has to go to the academy and then join Five-0.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, SweetTooth said:

I can pretty much guarantee this is going to happen. Junior was most definitely not pleased to get this bit of news.

Unless I dozed off & missed something, Junior's already training at the police academy. In the ep where we met Junior, he finally wore Steve down about a job with Five-0 when we saw Steve & Grover come across Junior washing either Steve's truck or the Camaro in the parking lot, just trying to be helpful & to thank Steve for even seeing him when Junior dropped by Steve's out of the blue, fresh out of the SEALs & looking to use that skill set in Five-0. They talked for a bit, then Steve said yes to Junior working with Five-0 on the condition that he go to the police academy first.

Then, a week or 2 later (I think it was in the same ep as the McDanno shirts Kamekona made up for Steve & Danny's restaurant) Steve goes to where we find out is apparently the police academy. And he's talking to the guy who's apparently the instructor, as a bunch of students--including Junior--are working on their target practice/shooting. The instructor guy is asked by Steve how Junior's doing. And the instructor says he doesn't know if Junior's HPD material or not, because (then he lists a number of reasons why not & says, basically, Junior reminds the instructor of Steve.

Therefore we, through the back door or whatever, also find out that Steve has apparently taken some training in the way "real" cops do things after all. 1 of the criticisms of at least some fans has always been that everyone else originally on the task force had some form of actual police training prior to joining Five-0, except for Steve who came straight from the Navy/the SEALs. And in the show, at least during S1, Danny was almost always reminding Steve that he wasn't a cop--& he took some pleasure in doing that.

• Love 1

For real though, Claire committed first degree murder. When you call 911 and announce in so many words that you want to report a murder before you pull the trigger, legally that means you had time to reflect on what you were doing and decided to do it anyway. That makes it premeditated, which makes it murder one. But sure, 18 months probation. Why not. Which is not to say that Dr. Psycho didn't have it coming, but it was still murder.

I could have done without seeing the guy get juiced in the electric chair, not to mention having someone go, "uh, this dude's still alive" and then zap him again. I also could lived without seeing the wild boars eating a young girl's face. This show has always been violent, but the last couple of years make me think at least one person on their writing staff would benefit from psychiatric attention.

But Eddie was great, and I might be shipping Tani and Junior now.

• Love 6
Just now, SweetTooth said:

Which is EXACTLY my point.

Unless *I* missed something, Steve INSISTED that it be mandatory that Junior go all the way through the police academy and graduate, for him to be hired. Then he finds out someone who was KICKED OUT of the academy is already hired.

THIS is the part that's news to him, and I'm sure he'll go to Steve with a "Why are you making me jump through hoops, when the dropout is already H 5-0?"

Thank you for clarifying. Yeah, Junior probably won't be happy knowing he has to go to the police academy first, while Tani's a "walk on" (I think that's the term I want) with an automatic spot on the team, if she wants it (which it seems she does). And there probably will be some friction from Junior with Steve & Tani because of it. But what I don't think Junior knows is, before she quit, was expelled, or however else her time at the police academy ended, Tani was supposed to have been at the top of her class, or close to it (at least that's in her character description). So far, Steve only has Junior's military record to go by, like the late Governor Jameson when she convinced Steve to start Five-0. Maybe he sees, now, that coming straight from the military, without some police experience or training, isn't as great an idea as he originally thought.

• Love 1
16 hours ago, fishcakes said:

For real though, Claire committed first degree murder. When you call 911 and announce in so many words that you want to report a murder before you pull the trigger, legally that means you had time to reflect on what you were doing and decided to do it anyway. That makes it premeditated, which makes it murder one. But sure, 18 months probation. Why not. Which is not to say that Dr. Psycho didn't have it coming, but it was still murder.

I could have done without seeing the guy get juiced in the electric chair, not to mention having someone go, "uh, this dude's still alive" and then zap him again. I also could lived without seeing the wild boars eating a young girl's face. This show has always been violent, but the last couple of years make me think at least one person on their writing staff would benefit from psychiatric attention.

But Eddie was great, and I might be shipping Tani and Junior now.

16 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

Thank you for clarifying. Yeah, Junior probably won't be happy knowing he has to go to the police academy first, while Tani's a "walk on" (I think that's the term I want) with an automatic spot on the team, if she wants it (which it seems she does). And there probably will be some friction from Junior with Steve & Tani because of it. But what I don't think Junior knows is, before she quit, was expelled, or however else her time at the police academy ended, Tani was supposed to have been at the top of her class, or close to it (at least that's in her character description). So far, Steve only has Junior's military record to go by, like the late Governor Jameson when she convinced Steve to start Five-0. Maybe he sees, now, that coming straight from the military, without some police experience or training, isn't as great an idea as he originally thought.

Real world, not TV where it seems every cop was an Army Ranger or Navy SEAL is that combat infantry veterans  are failing the psychological assessment phase of police department hiring at a noticeably high  rate. High enough to recommend that those 18 year old military recruits who see policing as their ultimate career goal to choose any military occupational specialty path except the infantry.

On the show  we are on the second Governor since Governor Jameson hired Commander McGarrett, ultimately to be used as a weapon against Wo Fat. And when he was recently out of the Navy Steve was using hand grenades, not to breach a wall in a hostage rescue but to open doors to question a person of interest. Even if Governor Keiko Mahoe mentioned going more towards hands off approach of Governor Jameson than the limited control Governor Dennison  had over the task force if another soldier started acting as soldier with a badge on Hawaii she might have reason to rethink her position.

Edited by Raja
Chao is the actress not the character. Lucky I didn't call her Keiko O'Brien

Really am sick of this immunity and means thing. The team waves at the face of H.P.D. Which is not right at all. And really they broken every constitutional and civil rights law. Do not know why except for Steve, that they did not go to the Governor about him breaking all of those rules. There is one way to use power for good. But another to break it and do whatever they want which is not cool. Catch my drift? It is a TV show do not get me wrong. But still someone needs to get control of them.

James Frain! Love him, even with an American accent.

Chi McBride, champion crier, always reliable.

Involving ep, with great scenery, plus dog. Nothing more required!

Oh - and Jerry's "friend" Gordy LaChance, in his story? That was Wil Wheaton's character, the narrator, in Stand By Me. Totally a reference! I was actually wondering if the obvious and unusual name was meant to show that Jerry was making the story up! In the movie, Gordy is a future writer and known for his ability to fabricate stories.

• Love 3

James Frain and Chi McBride saved this episode.

The rest just felt ridiculous and over-the-top violent and gruesome. If they want to go over the top because it's Halloween fine - but having an infant rape victim mauled by animals turn into a psychotic murderer left a bad taste in my mouth. Also: 20 years ago is not the stone-age, nobody bothered that she received therapy and reconstructive surgery? And then she just disappears into the woods and it gets not reported to the police? Jerry did not mention her second disappearance - apparently that was not in her file. What sort of freak family did this girl have? urgh!

• Love 1
10 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

Therefore we, through the back door or whatever, also find out that Steve has apparently taken some training in the way "real" cops do things after all. 1 of the criticisms of at least some fans has always been that everyone else originally on the task force had some form of actual police training prior to joining Five-0, except for Steve who came straight from the Navy/the SEALs. And in the show, at least during S1, Danny was almost always reminding Steve that he wasn't a cop--& he took some pleasure in doing that.

I am not necessarily disagreeing with you here (I'd be amazed if someone hadn't at least dropped a copy of "How to be a Police Officer for Dummies" off on Steve's desk at some point) but he could also be known at the HPD range because it's more convenient to go there to do some plinking than it is to go to Pearl Harbour (or wherever the Navy gun range is). But Steve has been running the task force for long enough that we can certainly hope he's had some actual police training by now.

10 hours ago, fishcakes said:

I could have done without seeing the guy get juiced in the electric chair, not to mention having someone go, "uh, this dude's still alive" and then zap him again. I also could lived without seeing the wild boars eating a young girl's face.

Both of those things were super nasty! Thanks 5-0, I was hoping the Halloween episode would be extra gross.

10 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

Tani's a "walk on" (I think that's the term I want) with an automatic spot on the team

I like the term "shake and bake" for how she was employed, I think it fits very nicely.

7 hours ago, Passepartout said:

Really am sick of this immunity and means thing. The team waves at the face of H.P.D. Which is not right at all. And really they broken every constitutional and civil rights law. Do not know why except for Steve, that they did not go to the Governor about him breaking all of those rules. There is one way to use power for good. But another to break it and do whatever they want which is not cool. Catch my drift? It is a TV show do not get me wrong. But still someone needs to get control of them.

Quoted for truth! They've had a couple of episodes where they were being investigated but it was always by someone who was out to get them or pull a big heist or both. Every once in a while the Governor is mean to them. But as for actual consequences for repeatedly and colorfully breaking the laws they are sworn to uphold? Not so much.

• Love 2
17 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

Unless I dozed off & missed something, Junior's already training at the police academy. In the ep where we met Junior, he finally wore Steve down about a job with Five-0 when we saw Steve & Grover come across Junior washing either Steve's truck or the Camaro in the parking lot, just trying to be helpful & to thank Steve for even seeing him when Junior dropped by Steve's out of the blue, fresh out of the SEALs & looking to use that skill set in Five-0. They talked for a bit, then Steve said yes to Junior working with Five-0 on the condition that he go to the police academy first.

Then, a week or 2 later (I think it was in the same ep as the McDanno shirts Kamekona made up for Steve & Danny's restaurant) Steve goes to where we find out is apparently the police academy. And he's talking to the guy who's apparently the instructor, as a bunch of students--including Junior--are working on their target practice/shooting. The instructor guy is asked by Steve how Junior's doing. And the instructor says he doesn't know if Junior's HPD material or not, because (then he lists a number of reasons why not & says, basically, Junior reminds the instructor of Steve.

I thought the firing range was a weird choice to represent the police academy training. He is a Navy SEAL, if there is one thing he knows how to do it is to shoot. I guess it wouldn't work to show him in a class about the constitutional rights the the Task Force is going to go out and break.

• Love 4
6 hours ago, dwmarch said:

I like the term "shake and bake" for how she was employed, I think it fits very nicely.

It is Vietnam era slang since we needed NCOs to replace losses and junior enlisted were sent to school or OCS to come out a leader without the actual experience that the disappearing "old sarge" had. So pretty much just a two month school over the rest of his boot camp mates made one a Sergeant or after  OCS the  Lieutenant like the infamous LT Calley of the Mai Lai massacre.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Raja said:

I thought the firing range was a weird choice to represent the police academy training. He is a Navy SEAL, if there is one thing he knows how to do it is to shoot. I guess it wouldn't work to show him in a class about the constitutional rights the the Task Force is going to go out and break.

I get your point. But I have the feeling the HPD would probably make them go through all aspects of training, to be sure they're proficient, instead of having them skip part because they were supposed to have done it in the military.

What happened to the dog?  They made a point of showing that she had a dog in at least the first scene, and IIRC the second as well.

On 11/4/2017 at 8:23 PM, Passepartout said:

And really think at least Grover got closure. 

I know that the show went to great (and unrealistic, but when has tht ever stopped them) lengths to show that Grover's ex-partner did kill his wife, but that never sat easy with me -- with Grover jumping (see what I did there) to a rash conclusion based on no evidence at all, and resorting to torture (par for the course for him) to try to "prove" it.  Hopefully the deus de microcassettes wraps up this absurd storyline.

Yeah as really love Grover and really think that what he did in Chicago was over the top in beating up his former best "friend." And how his friend ended up trying to do him and his family end. But what he did in Chicago he could had gotten arrested. But of course this is TV land.

• Love 1
On 11/5/2017 at 3:26 AM, dwmarch said:

I am not necessarily disagreeing with you here (I'd be amazed if someone hadn't at least dropped a copy of "How to be a Police Officer for Dummies" off on Steve's desk at some point) but he could also be known at the HPD range because it's more convenient to go there to do some plinking than it is to go to Pearl Harbour (or wherever the Navy gun range is). But Steve has been running the task force for long enough that we can certainly hope he's had some actual police training by now.

Both of those things were super nasty! Thanks 5-0, I was hoping the Halloween episode would be extra gross.

Quoted for truth! They've had a couple of episodes where they were being investigated but it was always by someone who was out to get them or pull a big heist or both. Every once in a while the Governor is mean to them. But as for actual consequences for repeatedly and colorfully breaking the laws they are sworn to uphold? Not so much.

You ARE counting the storyline where the brother of Internal Affairs Inspector Coughlin sent Abby in to get dirt on the team by being an SFPD Inspector who was starting/part of a Five-0 like task force, but then everything kinda got flipped & Abby fell in love with Chin & Coughlin's brother (Ingo Rademacher's recurring character; he also did a one-off as the father of 1 of the kids who was on a private school field trip bus which got held captive by a heartless chick who wanted back the Cocaine that was included in a drug bust Five-0 was involved in, which was publicized by then-Governor Denning with the then-members of the task force present.); & Coughlin's brother actually became friends with at least Chin & ended up offering him a place on the SF task force, which he ended up taking as a way of writing out DDK when he, unfortunately, left the show with GP over the salary dispute right before S8 was supposed to start filming. Right?