Type keyword(s) to search

Season 15 Promos and Possible Spoilers

cooksdelight
  • Start Topic

Thank you, Wings. Once the winner is announced, I have a habit of watching the premiere again to see who got the winner's edit from the get-go. Remember we had Tyler say that he didn't want to go head-to-head with Joe after he made pasta for the pot luck and three people commented on his moustache. He got lots of attention from the start. 

• Love 1

@LeighLeighThey don't get the money until the show airs and they can't tell anyone they won so he isn't investing it.

The restaurant he is being congratulated on is Cal Mare where he is Chef de Cusine, from Michael Mina's large restaurant group with executive chef/partner Adam Sobel who also partnered with Mina on RN47, Chef de Cuisine is a great position but is an employee position in a restaurant empire. The short dude in the pictures of the opening of Cal Mare is Adam Sobel the actual chef/partner. Mina and Sobel started working on Cal Mare before the season started and the official announcement went out while TC was still filming and before anyone won.

Though it finally makes sense because until he moved to become the Chef de Cuisine for Cal Mare which opened in October, he was working in the bay area. He is always labelled as being from LA but he kept referencing SF and Oakland so I was confused. His bio on Bravo lists him as EC of Cal Mare but all other hits indicate he is Chef de Cuisine so it seems like resume inflation like Claudette with her having a restaurant even though it still hasnt opened.

I mean he could obviously win but him being congratulated on Cal Mare just indicates that he worked hard on helping getting it open as Chef de Cuisine.

Edited by biakbiak

Of the projected Final 4, Joe S. is my least favorite, but he has grown on me since the season started. Ideally Chris would win, but since he is not in this group, Joseph F. would be my next choice. And I like Adrienne much more than I like Carrie, but I do think that chef-wise Carrie is much more interesting. There is just something about Carrie that annoys me, and I can't quite put my finger on it.  Hubby has been a Carrie fanboy since she baked a cake on a grill under the snow, but since taste-o-vision has not been invented yet, I tend to root for cheftestants based on the annoyance to Toothbrush meter.  

• Love 3

It makes sense that SM will not give us clues because they are not allowed to tip their hand, of course. 

So I am back to hoping it is one of the women or big Joe.  Just not Sasso or Chris.  

• Love 1

I didn't realize that they only get the prize money after the airing of the finale. Thanks for the info.

I was basing my idea on observations of some Top Chef Canada winners. It seemed that season 1 and 2 winners had recently opened new restaurants during their seasons. I was trying to "follow the money".  Didn't know that it wasn't given yet. 

Off topic- Regarding Top Chef Canada: there are 4 seasons plus an all-star season. My fave is season 3, followed by all-stars. The newest host is Eden Grinchpan who I love. Season 6 has taped and should begin airing in April. I recommend checking it out.

Someone on Reddit listed the following about the final four: the poster said that Carrie goes home after the family challenge and that the final three are Adrienne and the two Joes. This puts Adrienne's comment about being the first African American Top Chef in some context.

If so, I predict that the finale will be a "Joe-down throw-down" after all.

3 hours ago, LeighLeigh said:

Someone on Reddit listed the following about the final four: the poster said that Carrie goes home after the family challenge and that the final three are Adrienne and the two Joes. This puts Adrienne's comment about being the first African American Top Chef in some context.

If so, I predict that the finale will be a "Joe-down throw-down" after all.

Only Adrienne wouldn't be....Kevin Sbarra (sp?) from the season they did the finale in Asia (Taiwan?)....it's been maybe 6 - 7 years. 

I really would love to see an All Stars episode in a couple of years with Adrienne.  I think she's a fantastic and technical chef, but she's kind of like Shirley right now....proficient at doing other people's food.  She is on the verge of finding her own vision, and I believe she'll be a superstar in another year or three.  The young lady's got talent.

8 minutes ago, Blonde Gator said:

Adrienne wouldn't be....Kevin Sbarra (sp?) from the season they did the finale in Asia (Taiwan?)....it's been maybe 6 - 7 years. 

Adrienne's actual quote was that she wanted to be the first AA woman TC which would be accurate.  

Edited by biakbiak

In a video on Bravo's YouTube, The chefs mention how the sofas are getting roomier now that so many people have been sent home. Then Bruce says to Joe Flamm, "Imagine all the room they will when we go home." Foreshadowing much?

28 minutes ago, cooksdelight said:

Claudette will without a doubt be one of the sous. Just to make it dreadful for someone stuck with her.

I don't think they will do that.  Have we seen any jetks in this position on previous sessons?  I don't think they want to set anyone up to fail or have a hard time.  It is stressful enough. 

8 minutes ago, Wings said:

I don't think they will do that.  Have we seen any jetks in this position on previous sessons?  I don't think they want to set anyone up to fail or have a hard time.  It is stressful enough. 

It's happened before but it was in situations where the pool of chefs made dishes and the finalist did a blind taste test to chose their teams.

• Love 1
27 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

It's happened before but it was in situations where the pool of chefs made dishes and the finalist did a blind taste test to chose their teams.

Yeah, who got stuck with that obnoxious kid who thought he knew everything?

3 minutes ago, cooksdelight said:

Yeah, who got stuck with that obnoxious kid who thought he knew everything?

Heather on Top Chef Texas.

I doubt Claudette will be picked even if one of the chefs liked her because she really shines cooking her food which doesn't compliment what any of the other chefs do. The only way I could see it is in the unlikely event they went to Mexico again. 

1 hour ago, LeighLeigh said:

I wonder if Adrienne's knife skills will be attractive to someone.

Maybe Bruce's perfectionism will win him a spot.

I wonder if Claudette's negativity will be tasted in the food.

I don't remember the tasting.  That would be easy to dodge if you didn't want to help someone else win.  If Bruce made pasta he would be recognized and probably chosen. Chrissy could make a fancy toast if she wanted to be chosen and on n it goes. Almost everyone has a tell. 

6 minutes ago, Wings said:

I don't remember the tasting.  That would be easy to dodge if you didn't want to help someone else win.  If Bruce made pasta he would be recognized and probably chosen. Chrissy could make a fancy toast if she wanted to be chosen and on n it goes. Almost everyone has a tell. 

They did it on All Stars and Texas.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, biakbiak said:

Heather on Top Chef Texas.

I doubt Claudette will be picked even if one of the chefs liked her because she really shines cooking her food which doesn't compliment what any of the other chefs do. The only way I could see it is in the unlikely event they went to Mexico again. 

That worked against Doug in Mexico when he drew Katsuji. 

I don't want to see another Mexico finale, too soon. 

• Love 1
19 minutes ago, Wings said:

https://www.eater.com/2012/3/1/6609327/top-chef-finale-the-end-is-the-beginning-is-the-end

http://ew.com/recap/top-chef-texas-season-finale/2/ (this is page 2 of 5)

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, Blonde Gator said:

That worked against Doug in Mexico when he drew Katsuji. 

I don't want to see another Mexico finale, too soon. 

Doug chose him both times, the first time he got the first pick and he won that challenge with him.  The nect episode he chose last but still choose Katsuji because they were close friends and had worked well together.

19 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

Doug chose him both times, the first time he got the first pick and he won that challenge with him.  The nect episode he chose last but still choose Katsuji because they were close friends and had worked well together.

And that's when Katsuji steered him to the escamole, which are difficult for an experienced Mexican chef.  IIRC, Katsuji did make the candy rim for the "combo" (hey, another booze pairing challenge) of Tequila and a dish at the Tequila factory party, though.  I really liked Doug....and also that season's finale.  Remember the artist/chef pairing?  I wanted that painting that Gregory's partner did (the farm worker) so badly!  I've never been to that particular city in Mexico (and sadly probably never shall go, what with the situation in Mexico these days).....but I am a huge fan of Mexico, and have been many times.  In fact, we wanted to move to Puerto Escondido a couple of years ago.  And no, I've not tried either escamole or the Oaxacan crickets.  But I managed to founder on Mole Negro de Oaxaca after eating it for three days in a row!  It was worth it, too.

I myself (a personal view) don't care what Katsuji Tanabe has done or will ever do, whether on Top Chef or in any of his restaurants.  His behavior on both of his TC runs marked him as a despicable person, to me. Notwithstanding whatever "saving graces" or "culinary expertise" he may have shown. 

I believe he has even stated that his behavior on TC was an "act"; but that actually reinforces my opinion of him as a jerk.

Edited by chiaros
  • Love 4

I know Katsuji personally and he’s a helluva nice guy. Lots of chefs perform acts on cooking competitions. Jennifer Caywood developed a Cajun accent when she was on Masterchef, and she doesn’t talk with an accent AT ALL in real life.

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, cooksdelight said:

I know Katsuji personally and he’s a helluva nice guy. Lots of chefs perform acts on cooking competitions. Jennifer Caywood developed a Cajun accent when she was on Masterchef, and she doesn’t talk with an accent AT ALL in real life.

Perhaps all these people should consider acting like themselves, then.  Rather than feeding the public perception of them from their actions and words as jerks or as people who are not what you say they "really are".  

Edited by chiaros
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, chiaros said:

I believe he has even stated that his behavior on TC was an "act"; but that actually reinforces my opinion of him as a jerk.

Yeah, I don't care whether someone is an asshole or decides to present themselves as one - either thing makes them a jerk, and I dislike both equally.  I had Katsuji's food once (at Mexiosher), and it was good (nothing to get excited about, but good), but after seeing him on the show, I grab food elsewhere when I'm in that part of town.  He's not worth my money.

• Love 4
1 minute ago, Bastet said:

Yeah, I don't care whether someone is an asshole or decides to present themselves as one - either thing makes them a jerk, and I dislike both equally.  I

I agree, hell at least people who are just an asshole often own their behavior, it was an "act" is up theor with it was the "editing" that reality folks trot out when criticized and I don't buy either as an excuse for shitty behavior.

• Love 1

If we go by how boring their social media has been, then Adrienne and Joe Sasto make sense in the finale.

I am trying to connect the dots between the phone call with JoeStache's girlfriend and his place on the show. We're we introduced to her because she will show up in the finale, or in the family challenge, or for no reason at all.

By looking at Joe Flamm's Instagram, I found out that he is married (I only remembered hearing about his grandmother).

I really hope that he wins.

Did anyone catch a glimpse of which family members were in the new promo? Canadians didn't get to see it.

Am I the only person who saw enough of the returning LCK contestant in the promo for next week to recognize Joe Flamm? I kind of had a feeling from just the way he moved, but I happened to freeze frame at just the right moment to see that he was wearing a shirt that he had already worn previously on the show.

• Love 1
On 2/3/2018 at 2:08 PM, bobbobbob199 said:

Episode 13: Before the chefs can prepare the catch of the day, they must first actually catch it

Confirming the final 3 are Adrienne, Joe S, and Joe F

How is that confirmed? 

On 2/3/2018 at 12:18 PM, cooksdelight said:

I have no doubt he is a nice guy.  We are all multi faceted.   He can have a jerky side too.  Doesn't mean is is all jerk.  :)   

• Love 1
50 minutes ago, djlynch said:

Am I the only person who saw enough of the returning LCK contestant in the promo for next week to recognize Joe Flamm? I kind of had a feeling from just the way he moved, but I happened to freeze frame at just the right moment to see that he was wearing a shirt that he had already worn previously on the show.

Heh.

Yes, it does look like the returnee is Joe Flamm.

Here's the shot of the returnee shown at the end of episode 10 (Red Rum) in the frame just before the vid cuts away:

5a7dbfe638ad1_LCKreturneescrsh1.thumb.jpg.1dfd76b08d837191ecf0f21c1c8d8341.jpg

A crop of the top-center plus some brightness-contrast-resolution-sharpening massaging:

5a7dc03523ffc_LCKreturneescrshcrop.thumb.jpg.3d454e93bfe1cd862c6f629dd58e3c20.jpg

Joe Flamm shopping in episode 8 (RestaurantWars):

5a7dc07205595_Ep8RWJoeFlammshopping2.thumb.jpg.c9c0aba7dd214d3c56e68581c076c4fc.jpg

5a7dc0653ffd4_Ep8RWJoeFlammshopping1.thumb.jpg.80e6350b4df30ba1414c7dbc231c5b79.jpg

• Love 11
7 hours ago, Wings said:

How is that confirmed? 

I have no doubt he is a nice guy.  We are all multi faceted.   He can have a jerky side too.  Doesn't mean is is all jerk.  :)   

Because there are images of Joe F, Joe S, and Adrienne fishing. And they only go fishing in episode 13 (final 3).

• Love 1

So happy to see this Spoiler! Flamm was my fave from the beginning, and I was so bummed when he left in that shitty SD quickfire. I love that he's not trying to ham it up or be some big TV personality - he's just low-key and chill. Nice change of pace from most reality tv personalities - plus his food looks delish. 

Anyone know why the finale is being filmed in Colorado as well? My memory of recent seasons is fuzzy, but before S10 they'd usually take a trip outside the host city. Is this because of budget reasons?

2 hours ago, cooksdelight said:

One guess .... the Aspen Food & Wine Festival happened to coincide with filming of the finale so I am guessing producers planned it that way. What better way to show off their big sponsor, Food & Wine magazine. 

Makes sense.  The final challenges will be related to it. 

16 hours ago, Sugar said:

My memory of recent seasons is fuzzy, but before S10 they'd usually take a trip outside the host city. Is this because of budget reasons?

This will be the first season where tge finale was not filmed in a different place.