Type keyword(s) to search

Annie & David: On An Allowance at 48? He's Good, I Think

• Start Topic

I'm not sure why as an adult you cannot afford something you would expect or even ask a friend to buy it for you when it is not a necessity like rent or food.  What kind of relationship does David have with his friend that would allow him to be supported by said friend, something is just so off there.  I loved the wife's look on her face, she knows how ridiculous David's situation is and probably always has been.

When Annie asked him how much could he give David said $1500 USD because I bet that is all he could ask for from his friend.  I would think $1500 would be a fortune to Annie's parents, right?  Annie should feel like chattle.  

• Love 9

Are they being married in Thailand? Is Annie's family prominent in status? I don't really see why they're going through all of this. Noon and Kyle didn't. And I don't have a single friend who would pay to send me on sex holiday, let alone bankroll my courtship.

• Love 14

Something is dodgy. Chris & David (who thinks it's cooler to call himself 'Tobo') seem to operate some tourist guide business in Thailand.  They produced a video shilling themselves for a reality series where they would cater to a guest's Thai fantasy. It wasn't picked up, maybe because of lack of ladyboys in the sales pitch. That's my theory!

Some gems:
"Tobo gets on my last nerve. He's like an itch you can't get rid of."
"Party, drink too much, do Tobo stuff."
"Tobo, sit down."
"It's my way, it's the Tobo way."

Below is the link, please don't hold it against me.

• Useful 1
  • Love 13

The TH where he said his parents would normally pay dowry made me sad.  I am 46.  I would never bring up my parents at my age.  

He clearly can’t survive without help from parents and friends.  He needs to give up pretending. 

• Love 8
On 10/17/2017 at 4:29 PM, Toaster Strudel said:

Something is dodgy. Chris & David (who thinks it's cooler to call himself 'Tobo') seem to operate some tourist guide business in Thailand.  They produced a video shilling themselves for a reality series where they would cater to a guest's Thai fantasy. It wasn't picked up, maybe because of lack of ladyboys in the sales pitch. That's my theory!

His story has never made sense to me. I was leaning toward believing that his money is coming from something illegal he and Chris are involved in, and was leaning toward it being something with the sex workers who scam men, like David is acting like he is for the show. Chris sending him money so he can hang out in Thailand is just too hard to swallow. If anything, it would be apparent to Chris that David is incapable of making his own decisions, the cash would be cut off, and he would be referred to Adult Protective Services for follow-up.

• Love 9
On 10/17/2017 at 3:29 PM, Toaster Strudel said:

Some gems:
"Tobo, sit down."

So they're all in Thailand because they're trying to get their own reality show. Now they're using Tobo to get some fans. Chris and his wife are both in on it. I have no doubt that Tobo would marry anyone for fame. 

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Nowhere said:

So they're all in Thailand because they're trying to get their own reality show. Now they're using Tobo to get some fans. Chris and his wife are both in on it. I have no doubt that Tobo would marry anyone for fame. 

How sad is it that I am relieved that Tobo is not just living off of handouts but is helping his friend Chris with some sort of business in Thailand.  I know the friend keeps talking about giving loans to him but I kind of think the producers told him to say that and that he might just be getting advances on his salary at worst.

• Love 4
On 10/24/2017 at 6:04 PM, Nowhere said:

using Tobo to get some fans.

I've heard of some shitty business plans, but David using this pathetic unattractive mess to try and get fans for his "Fantasy" getaway business...

giphy.gif

• LOL 2
  • Love 7

I posted a while ago that David's trip and endless supply of money from his friend was suspect, gawd is no one who or what they claim they are?  Everyone has a ulterior motive, we get fake names, screwy time lines, dark pasts etc..so why does the government rubber stamp the visa approval for these couples?  This show proves half of these aren't in it for love when it's always for money/fame.  Abby and her DR vacations are suspect enough, tell me the producers don't know about that, right?

Tobo? Really? Is that short for Ten dOllars in my Bank accOunt?

• Love 17
2 hours ago, Drogo said:

I've heard of some shitty business plans, but David using this pathetic unattractive mess to try and get fans for his "Fantasy" getaway business...

giphy.gif

Obviously, Chris thinks he's quirky cute, like we'll watch his shitty show and fall in love with the little guy's antics. I'm trying to think of an example of somebody on a comedy show that you don't quite know about in the beginning but then you end up loving. Can't think but you know the type. Note to Chris: your friend, "Tobo" does not fit this description. He's just really annoying and stupid and I can't see any redeeming qualities. 

• Love 6
3 minutes ago, Nowhere said:

Obviously, Chris thinks he's quirky cute, like we'll watch his shitty show and fall in love with the little guy's antics. I'm trying to think of an example of somebody on a comedy show that you don't quite know about in the beginning but then you end up loving. Can't think but you know the type. Note to Chris: your friend, "Tobo" does not fit this description. He's just really annoying and stupid and I can't see any redeeming qualities. 

Like the way Jack and Karen ended up being the stars of "Will and Grace"..?

• Love 11

I'm not very familiar with Will and Grace but, yes, I think you get what I'm saying. So, they decided to get a little sympathy for their quirky little oddball character by signing him up for 90 day fiancé. I'm sure they didn't count on the editors making him look like the asshat that he is. They probably thought he could make himself likable and then we'd feel bad for him when his fiancé treats him like shit and he'd get a fan base for their Thailand show. You know, I really just hate it when I find out these people have been on multiple reality shows. It fucks everything up. 

• Love 8

What makes Annie so special to demand a bride price of 500000 Bhat?

Someone wondered if her vagina can do magic tricks.  Perhaps it’s a brand new one, much younger than Annie.  Somebody dug up that David is uber conservative and very anti LGBT, so it would be poetic justice if Annie used to be a boy. Maybe her family wants to get their money back for the surgery. Maybe David knows and doesn’t care, but decided she was “fair game” Really don’t like hypocrites who hurt LGBT people one bit. 

• Love 9

And any family who is asking for 500,000 bhat, I would imagine is not also going to be wanting a water buffalo. It is not logical to me.   Calling shenanigans.  A water buffalo would seemingly only be more desirable to a rural family who would actually have use for one.

• Love 5
On 24/10/2017 at 2:44 AM, Christina said:

Chris sending him money so he can hang out in Thailand is just too hard to swallow. If anything, it would be apparent to Chris that David is incapable of making his own decisions, the cash would be cut off, and he would be referred to Adult Protective Services for follow-up.

No matter how much my friends love me- not one of them would send me money to live in Thailand. Something stinks here and he is sooooooooooooooo freakin creepy!!

• Love 11
8 hours ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

And any family who is asking for 500,000 bhat, I would imagine is not also going to be wanting a water buffalo. It is not logical to me.   Calling shenanigans.  A water buffalo would seemingly only be more desirable to a rural family who would actually have use for one.

Maybe they're using the money and the buffalo to start up a mozzarella business. 

Or maybe the it's a miniature lap water buffalo - like those Vietnamese pot bellied pigs that were trendy a while back. 

I'm not even drinking right now :)

• LOL 2
  • Love 13

That makes sense at some point, because why else would a rural family demand 500K Bhat for a bride price when the family is in no social position to demand it?

Annie Get Your Gold is holding out for the 11 Bhat weight for herself. She might as well get something out of it for herself after having to service that decrepit, broke ass, bag of skin.  I’m not sure what’s in it for Annie, other than she’s a mercenary.  I get that love has little to do with these kinds of arrangements, but it’s pretty obvious that David is in very poor health. He’s 48, but I’ve seen 68 year old men that look younger and healthier than he does.  I hope Annie realizes that she’s likely going to end up nursing this guy in the next few years. 

• Love 7

Hasn't David been living in Thailand now for a few years?  Does he even WANT to move back to the US?  Why?  It costs much more to live in the US & his moneyed supporter has him working on "Fantasy Thailand."  I would think that David would have to establish himself in the US before being able to bring over a "bride."

BTW, Annie.  1+1=2.  2 baht is just as symbolic as 11.  I think 11 is the dream that the gold dealers serve up to unsuspecting suitors.  Just like "a diamond is forever" and a engagement or wedding ring should cost at least a month's salary is marketed in the USA.

Edited by Kath94
  • Love 5

I think David, Annie, et al are all in on this and none of its real. They are just trying to drum up business for their "Fantasy Thailand" crap. Hell, David and Annie might even be married, or she could be a partner in the business. 

• Love 10
11 hours ago, mamadrama said:

I think David, Annie, et al are all in on this and none of its real. They are just trying to drum up business for their "Fantasy Thailand" crap. Hell, David and Annie might even be married, or she could be a partner in the business. 

I concur.  The bride price, gold baht, and water buffalo shopping all make for good Tee Vee.  "Ooh!  Look what weird things they do in foreign countries.  Can you believe it?"  Everyone is ramping up the tension -- 500,000 baht bride price, TWO water buffalo, ELEVEN baht in gold, etc.

• Love 7

Dowries and social position kind of don't matter. On youtube there are tons of documentaries on dowries, bride prices all from the poorest of families. I watch out of fascination. Some brides are killed over dowries. They have no say-so in the who they will marry, during the marriage and can't run away because their family cannot afford to return the money/animals. IMO, it is most ridiculous because other than bringing in dowries these woman have no value at all.

• Love 5
On 10/17/2017 at 4:29 PM, Toaster Strudel said:

Some gems:
"Tobo, sit down."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Thieneman

Chris is quite a guy.

He admitted to bribing a county official for approval of a trailer park.  

He was accused of misappropriating money from a fundraiser for children's cancer.

http://thevillevoice.com/2010/02/17/real-story-behind-the-mint-jubilee-mess/

He choked his ex-girlfriend and later violated a restraining order and had the doors to her business removed (he owned the building) to intimidate her.

http://www.wdrb.com/story/25646001/chris-thieneman-back-behind-bars-accused-of-intimidating-ex-girlfriend

So much for feeling bad for Chris for having David  Tobo leech off of him.  A

• Love 9
2 hours ago, ethalfrida said:

Dowries and social position kind of don't matter. On youtube there are tons of documentaries on dowries, bride prices all from the poorest of families. I watch out of fascination. Some brides are killed over dowries. They have no say-so in the who they will marry, during the marriage and can't run away because their family cannot afford to return the money/animals. IMO, it is most ridiculous because other than bringing in dowries these woman have no value at all.

THIS!  I guess in countries like Thailand, where women seem more highly valued than in many other places around the world, dowries/bride prices are not necessarily viewed in a negative context, with respect to sadly what happens elsewhere in the world.  

Annie is actually choosing her husband, and to her, it is a way to give back to her parents for giving her life, nurturing, and loving her.  For many modern Thai families, sin sod is more ceremonial , more of a formality, than Parents keeping the money. In the case of Annie’s family, since they live in a poor village, the money is more needed and will not likely be returned to the couple.  

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

THIS!  I guess in countries like Thailand, where women seem more highly valued than in many other places around the world, dowries/bride prices are not necessarily viewed in a negative context, with respect to sadly what happens elsewhere in the world.  

Annie is actually choosing her husband, and to her, it is a way to give back to her parents for giving her life, nurturing, and loving her.  For many modern Thai families, sin sod is more ceremonial , more of a formality, than Parents keeping the money. In the case of Annie’s family, since they live in a poor village, the money is more needed and will not likely be returned to the couple.  

There are circumstances where Thai women fall into the same de-valued system. One documentary that comes to mind is Pandemic: Facing AIDS. 

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0372083/

• Love 3
37 minutes ago, ethalfrida said:

There are circumstances where Thai women fall into the same de-valued system. One documentary that comes to mind is Pandemic: Facing AIDS. 

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0372083/

I didn’t doubt that at all, so I’m glad you had info to the contrary.  I didn’t think that all of them were valued and loved by their families like Annie.  Annie also values herself.  She’s asking above what would be considered her bride price for women of her social class , plus 11 baht weight in gold and two buffaloes. She thinks she’s worth it, so more power to her.  I just hope David makes good on his pledge to pay everything he promised.

• Love 3

I never saw Annie bargaining on the water buffalo prices. If she could talk the price of the breeding pair down, they would still have the same value, but a cheaper price. She just said pay the man what he wants. If they don't dicker on prices in Thailand, they are the only Asian country that doesn't. 

• Love 4
On 10/24/2017 at 6:04 PM, Nowhere said:

This clip just ruined it for me. Awful production awful acting made up drama and Tobo clicking his fingers and doing that organ grinder monkey dance. What people won't do for fame

• Love 6
On 10/27/2017 at 0:28 AM, Arwen Evenstar said:

What makes Annie so special to demand a bride price of 500000 Bhat?

Someone wondered if her vagina can do magic tricks.  Perhaps it’s a brand new one, much younger than Annie.  Somebody dug up that David is uber conservative and very anti LGBT, so it would be poetic justice if Annie used to be a boy. Maybe her family wants to get their money back for the surgery. Maybe David knows and doesn’t care, but decided she was “fair game” Really don’t like hypocrites who hurt LGBT people one bit. 

So it's okay for him to leech off of his friends and be kind of a MIA dad, but gay people, noooooo!!!!!

Disgusting.

That really burns me up, too!

I'm going to kind of take a Devil's Advocate position for a moment. Say a person with a Bible Belt brain like David Poor believes that living a homosexual lifestyle is a sin. (Even the Pope says it's not a sin to be gay, just to, well, do what gay people do.) Again, kind of Devil's Advocate, bear with me. Say they believe that. What gives them the right to hate on someone because they don't agree with what they're doing? What's next? Throwing stones at divorced people? "I'm not going to bake a cake for your wedding because it's your third wedding and you people are idiots." Or, "I'm not going to bake a cake for your wedding because it's a Muslim wedding." "I'm not letting you into my restaurant because you gamble."  "I just tossed my latte at you because you're not a virgin." It's ABSURD.

The same book that mentions homosexuality 4 or 5 times tells us to LOVE PEOPLE AND NOT JUDGE THEM hundreds of times! It also mentions gluttony like, 80 times. (So if Evelyn were really fundamentalist, she wouldn't invite auntie to the wedding. Disgusting, but true.)

Again, that was all kind of Devil's Advocate. I'm not saying Evelyn's auntie is sinning. 

I'm getting down off of my soapbox now, but not before throwing out another verse for David Poor. "A man who doesn't work shouldn't eat."

On 11/3/2017 at 6:56 PM, Arwen Evenstar said:

I didn’t doubt that at all, so I’m glad you had info to the contrary.  I didn’t think that all of them were valued and loved by their families like Annie.  Annie also values herself.  She’s asking above what would be considered her bride price for women of her social class , plus 11 baht weight in gold and two buffaloes. She thinks she’s worth it, so more power to her.  I just hope David makes good on his pledge to pay everything he promised.

Sadly, something tells me he won't.

Annie actually seems to have ambition and a work ethic. She will find herself a good job and kick him to the curb, eventually.

She'll probably find herself another Sugar Daddy, too! And, I'll bet this one has his own house with an above ground pool! They'll sit around it in the summer drinking Nestea. 

And, he will go lumbering back to his friend's basement.

• Love 5
7 hours ago, CoachWristletJen said:

And, he will go lumbering back to his friend's basement.

Lumbering or slithering?

Due to him being a “person of size”, one could compare his gait to lumbering, rather like a large bear, but more like scuffling in his diabetic flip flops.  Slithering, because he’s a sex tourist, in spite of being all Mr Conservative Christian type. 

• Love 2

I don't know how many members here follow the FB group for 90DF but David's friend Chris and his wife have been posting a lot lately. His version is he is a super generous friend, who wanted to help David get back on his feet. That the whole massage thing was an act, and pressured by producers to say, even though he didn't want to. They're also now saying David is a lazy mooch and they are done with him. The last part was paraphrased. Personally, I think they're all up to no good, something about their relationship seems fishy. 

• Love 14
6 hours ago, Awfarmington said:

I don't know how many members here follow the FB group for 90DF but David's friend Chris and his wife have been posting a lot lately. His version is he is a super generous friend, who wanted to help David get back on his feet. That the whole massage thing was an act, and pressured by producers to say, even though he didn't want to. They're also now saying David is a lazy mooch and they are done with him. The last part was paraphrased. Personally, I think they're all up to no good, something about their relationship seems fishy. 

ITA. Chris and the good wife are full of shit. And creepy as hell. 

• Love 5
8 hours ago, Awfarmington said:

Chris, David Tobo, Nikki and Annie are all scammers of one sort or another.  I actually believe Chris that he made the Thai massage remark for the camera, but he is still very shady.

I think the whole lot of them may be losing track of where their real selves end and their reality show characters begin.

• Love 8
13 hours ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

Lumbering or slithering?

Due to him being a “person of size”, one could compare his gait to lumbering, rather like a large bear, but more like scuffling in his diabetic flip flops.  Slithering, because he’s a sex tourist, in spite of being all Mr Conservative Christian type. 

Slither/Lumbering = slumbering? I suspect he'd be doing a fair amount of that, too, in lieu of working.

What's sad about his wife is that before her, he wanted to marry two or three just like her. It makes her seem more like a porcelain doll that he's picked out for himself to complete his life somehow. 

They're both using each other.

I have more compassion for Annie. Nobody goes into prostitution because they think it's a great career opportunity. Women do it out of desperation! And, they're generally indoctrinated into it when they're very young, too young to consent and make their own decisions.

The men who pay for sex are the sleazes. How do you go ahead and have sex with a woman who is physically repulsed by you? Who has to have a good cry and take a shower just to get your sweat (and the sweat of others) off of her body afterwards? (I've worked with these women. When they're still alive inside, they cry, but after awhile, out of necessity, they go dead inside, like Jenny. And what do these foul men tell themselves as they run their gnarly old hands over their young bodies? Horrible! I have no problem seeing men like that get swindled and fooled.)

Edited by CoachWristletJen
  • Love 13

I think most of the David/Annie story is water buffaloshit. The ceremony with the dancing etc. is part of a marriage ceremony, not an engagement ceremony. Water buffaloes are never part of a dowry.

Thailand is not India, People here marry for love, the dowry is not that big of a deal-- it's usually just for show or nothing the guy can't afford to give. Traditionally the groom's family would pay it anyway.

Sometimes when a Thai woman marries an older foreigner the dowry is more than usual, but the foreigner usually is glad to pay it because of the guilt he has for marrying someone so young. He often wants to play the role of a knight in shining armor, so is happy to fork up the cash so he can tell family and friends back home how he "saved his bride from a life of poverty:"-- any excuse to make the oddball marriage less ridiculous.

Annie's family does not look that poor, at least in relation to the rest of rural Thais. Again Thailand is not India, girls don't have to sell themselves so their families can eat. Easy to find work here. Actually so much so that most of the crappiest jobs are done my migrant workers from Burma and Cambodia.

I also believe the Thai massage comment was realty TV BS. Real Thai massage is not relaxing anyway-- more torture than relaxation.

• Useful 1
  • Love 8
4 hours ago, Sprockets said:

That was a reference to the whole water buffalo thing.  Too soon?  

Not at all.  You just made me think of a line in John Fogerty’s Rock and Rolll Girl....?? If I had my way, I’d shuffle off to Buffalo....

i got you might have been referring to the water buffalo thing.  We'll get a lot of snark mileage out of that storyline.

16 hours ago, meandyouzz said:

Annie's family does not look that poor, at least in relation to the rest of rural Thais. Again Thailand is not India, girls don't have to sell themselves so their families can eat. Easy to find work here. Actually so much so that most of the crappiest jobs are done my migrant workers from Burma and Cambodia.

I wonder how many daughters they have married off? The sums of money seem very high- weird that a supposed poor villager comes up with such a high amount.

You would think that a bottle of Scotch and a goat would do the trick - especially at Annie's advanced age. 

Edited by booboopbedoo
  • Love 2
10 hours ago, booboopbedoo said:

You would think that a bottle of Scotch and a goat would do the trick - especially at Annie's advanced age. 

Hardly fair compensation for having to service Broke Ass David and be groped and pawed by him all the time. I’m running out of brain bleach as the squick factor increases.

• Love 4
10 hours ago, Arwen Evenstar said:
21 hours ago, booboopbedoo said:

Hardly fair compensation for having to service Broke Ass David and be groped and pawed by him all the time. I’m running out of brain bleach as the squick factor increases.

Okay 2 Goats and a new housecoat for Mom and Ellen underwear for Daddy

• LOL 1
  • Love 3