Type keyword(s) to search

Elizabeth & Andrei: Ballroom Blitz

• Start Topic

35 minutes ago, Booger666 said:

To clarify my point, I think it was smart of Elizabeth to practice the questions. In what we were shown, which of course isn’t everything, when he gave a poor or incomplete answer she nastily told him he was wrong rather than offering constructive criticism him or helping him round out his answer.  It didn’t seem like she was really willing to help him and enjoyed telling him he was wrong.

I think she was role playing and  trying to simulate the immigration inspector's follow up questions to Andrrrei's weaker responses.  I'm not sure Andrrrei got that she was role playing.  He might have seen it more as tutoring.  When he first entered the "interview" he greeted her with a kiss.  

• Love 1

I feel what he was saying to Elizabeth was that he was okay with her having a girls night, but he doesn't want her staying out late. And if she wanted to stay out late,  he would want to come with her to make sure she is safe. 

There is still a language barrier between them and he looked really frustrated because he couldn't say what he truly wanted to say. 

Elizabeth kept cutting him off. And it looked like she was trying to get a rise out of him by repeating that she wants to go clubbing. 

I thought it was kind of cute when he said she should have a supper instead of a bachelorette party. 

Elizabeth is definitely trying to make Andrei out like a brute. She was fine with being "submissive," then he got the visa, and now she thinks he is controlling. 

Edited by Hero
  • Love 13
On 11/8/2017 at 7:13 AM, Bryce Lynch said:

The funny thing about Andrrrei, is that he keep saying stuff like "Where we live doesn't matter, as long as we are together."  Does this mean he is genuinely crazy about Elizabeth and just wants to spend the rest of his life with her, or is he saying what he thinks he is supposed to say to make it seem like he isn't in it for the green card?

Why do you assume he is looking for a green card?  He's from Moldova, so he can easily obtain a Romanian passport, and, with that, access to all the EU countries.  That is probably how he is living in an EU country (Ireland) currently.  I really doubt he is marrying her for a green card.

• Love 3

First, Andrei's surname is Ukrainian, not Moldovan.  Second, the attitude in that part of the world (Ukraine, Moldova, Russia) about married women going to clubs without their husbands is that they don't.  A real woman is home, taking care of the home and family, even if she works.  Only sluts go to clubs/bars.  So yes, absolutely, this is cultural, and it is deeply ingrained, so much so, I don't think his thinking will change on this.  My husband comes from this culture.  He is far more open minded than Andrei, and understands norms in the West are different, but he would have had issues were I going out with girlfriends to clubs.  I have never been a club goer, not even when I was single, so it was never an issue between us.

I don't think Andrei is controlling, he just has a very FSUM view of a woman's role.  What I do worry about for Libby's sake is his drinking.  He has some of the "tells" in his face, of a heavy drinker.  Living with an alcoholic is not easy, so I hope he can reverse that.

Edited by Real Eyes
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
3 minutes ago, Real Eyes said:

Why do you assume he is looking for a green card?  He's from Moldova, so he can easily obtain a Romanian passport, and, with that, access to all the EU countries.  That is probably how he is living in an EU country (Ireland) currently.  I really doubt he is marrying her for a green card.

Good point. There is this arrogance in people assuming that the USA is the most perfect and stellar place to live in the Universe. Not that there aren't amazing things about living here - I wouldn't live anywhere else. But its not the be all end all for everyone on the planet. all of these fiancée's aren't conning people for green cards. 

• Love 6

The thing that annoys me with Elizabeth is that Andre is really transparent in voicing what he expects and wants out of a relationship/ marriage. If she wants to change him, she's going to have a terrible time. She knew what he was like before she agreed to marry him. 

He obviously knows that she bad mouths him to her family. He's already expecting a terrible reception from them. I feel like she makes him out to be a really bad person, and he knows that. 

• Love 7
5 minutes ago, Hero said:

The thing that annoys me with Elizabeth is that Andre is really transparent in voicing what he expects and wants out of a relationship/ marriage. If she wants to change him, she's going to have a terrible time. She knew what he was like before she agreed to marry him. 

He obviously knows that she bad mouths him to her family. He's already expecting a terrible reception from them. I feel like she makes him out to be a really bad person, and he knows that. 

She is not going to change him, and to try to do so would be a mistake.  You can't change a person.  You should accept them as they are.  Habits, such as addictions, can be changed, but it is difficult.  I think she can accept these things about him.  Her mistake is in taking the comments of her family with anything more than a grain of salt.  Her family isn't marrying Andrei, they are not going to live with him.  So they should just butt out.

I agree, he is very transparent in what he wants, and what he wants is very, very typical of FSUM.

• Love 1

I just don't "get" Elizabeth.  I fear he may have a drinking problem, but she's not understanding cultural differences, and not listening to him when he talks.  Like others have said, he's ok with a girls night out, but not ok with boozing until 4 am in a club, which can be a dangerous place.  I recall others in a thread (not sure which one) saying he was a bouncer for a living, so he would know what goes on in clubs.  And Bachelorette parties aren't the norm everywhere.  It's a concept many cultures don't understand (and a stupid one, IMO - at least the modern ones ,with stupid sashes and tiaras, and male-organ themed....well....everything - and to be fair, modern bachelor parties are just as stupid IMO, and nothing but a booze-fest).  I don't get why she's badmouthing him to everyone and still marrying him, unless she's a "fixer" and wants to keep up the appearance that she's changed him.

I get more of a creeper vibe from David Spain than Andrrrrrrei.  He seems to want to isolate Evelyn, where I don't see that from Andrrrrrrei.

• Love 7
9 hours ago, funky-rat said:

I just don't "get" Elizabeth.  I fear he may have a drinking problem, but she's not understanding cultural differences, and not listening to him when he talks.  Like others have said, he's ok with a girls night out, but not ok with boozing until 4 am in a club, which can be a dangerous place.  I recall others in a thread (not sure which one) saying he was a bouncer for a living, so he would know what goes on in clubs.  And Bachelorette parties aren't the norm everywhere.  It's a concept many cultures don't understand (and a stupid one, IMO - at least the modern ones ,with stupid sashes and tiaras, and male-organ themed....well....everything - and to be fair, modern bachelor parties are just as stupid IMO, and nothing but a booze-fest).  I don't get why she's badmouthing him to everyone and still marrying him, unless she's a "fixer" and wants to keep up the appearance that she's changed him.

I get more of a creeper vibe from David Spain than Andrrrrrrei.  He seems to want to isolate Evelyn, where I don't see that from Andrrrrrrei.

None of these couples seem to know each other at all. Annie and David Poor seem to kow what they are in for. But the other folks...it's mystifying why they call it love. 

• Love 2

I think Elizabeth is trying to secure a spot in the next season of After the 90 Days by overacting to everything. Oh my! How will they make it through their first year? Will she become submissive? Do we care? I don't.

• LOL 1
  • Love 9
10 hours ago, gonecrackers said:

Elizabeth is an actress, & her mom is CEO of a talent agency.

http://starcasm.net/archives/378465

There's a resume posted with a long list of talents - makeup isn't one of them.

I love PTV for snippets like this.  Just showed the video to my hubby and explained it was a remake of "The Breakfast Club" - and told him I was going to pause on one of the actresses.  He looked at her and said, "She looks familiar."  I said, "Imagine her sitting next to someone named Andrrrrrei."  

I'd almost have more respect for this show if it were advertised as what it is:  "90-Day Shill for Publicity," a show where at least one person in each couple either has acting or modeling dreams, or is willing to make themselves look like an idiot because it's the only way they can make money and/or marry someone way out of their league.

Of course, I'd have more respect for myself if I stopped watching, but it's such a delicious mess.

• Love 7
14 hours ago, gonecrackers said:

Elizabeth is an actress, & her mom is CEO of a talent agency.

http://starcasm.net/archives/378465

There's a resume posted with a long list of talents - makeup isn't one of them.

Well she's not a very good one if she's using that "talent" on this show.   She definitely comes across as dippy flighty "I don't know what I want in life, but I do know I want attention from a maaaaannnnnnn!" girl.  

• Love 3
13 hours ago, Christina said:

I think Elizabeth is trying to secure a spot in the next season of After the 90 Days by overacting to everything. Oh my! How will they make it through their first year? Will she become submissive? Do we care? I don't.

I do! Out of all the couples, Elizabeth and Andrei's future is the biggest wild card to me, and I'll watch any follow-ups TLC cares to give.

(Also Andrei's super sexy so that makes the watching easier too.)

• Love 3
5 hours ago, Pachengala said:

I do! Out of all the couples, Elizabeth and Andrei's future is the biggest wild card to me, and I'll watch any follow-ups TLC cares to give.

I agree.  He is hotttttttt. 

• Love 7
5 hours ago, Pachengala said:

Aaaaand..this is what makes a horse race. I think Andreiiiii is the polar opposite of sexy. But there is a lid to every pot. :)

Edited by ChiCricket
  • Love 8

I don't find Andrei hot nor controlling. Libby will be another Pao or Loren, overreacting to everything for the drama, and coming across forced. She'll have a bachlorette party, blame it on her friend/sister, then later admit it was her idea for more drama. Or, insist that they move to give her more acting opportunities, etc. 

I suspect, in reality, they are an average couple and she made up the "He is man, I am woman" storyline to be chosen for the show. There is just something really unauthentic about their story, because they seem to know each other much better then the other couples. Evelyn and David wouldn't know each other as intimately since they wouldn't have had time alone, and I don't mean sex, but they don't seem to know each other at all, whereas this two act like they have spent a lot of time together. 

• Love 6

You know, I really don't think Andrei is the wooooooorst.  Her family is, and Elizabeth keeps making it worse by exaggerating and shifting Andrei's actual meaning.  Tell ya what, though- Elizabeth's family would get along great with Molly's dad and brother.  I can tell you who they voted for last November just by their ignorant assumptions about any country other than America. 

I love how they made it sound like Andrei didn't have a "mortgage, utility bills, all that" in Ireland or Moldova.  

Damn it, we Americans are so effing stupid sometimes :(

• Love 17
6 hours ago, liammaam said:

You know, I really don't think Andrei is the wooooooorst.  Her family is, and Elizabeth keeps making it worse by exaggerating and shifting Andrei's actual meaning.  Tell ya what, though- Elizabeth's family would get along great with Molly's dad and brother.  I can tell you who they voted for last November just by their ignorant assumptions about any country other than America. 

I love how they made it sound like Andrei didn't have a "mortgage, utility bills, all that" in Ireland or Moldova.  

I understand the concerns of both Elizabeth and Molly's families.  But, I thought Elizabeth's father and brother were not even giving Andrrrei and chance, despite there being a lot less reason to believe that he is scamming Elizabeth than there is with Louise and Molly.  Molly's Dad was a lot more polite with Louise than they were with Andrrrei.  

As for the expenses, I think it might be harder for a foreign man to earn enough money to afford what is considered a decent standard of living in America than to do the same in some other countries.  He does have a plan (truck driving), plus I would imagine he could do some work as a bouncer on the side, or while he is working to become a truck driver.  It seem like Elizabeth really needs a full time job, at least until Andrrrei can legally work.  

I suspect Father Elizabeth probably pays her full time wages for the "part time" property manager work and is now holding that over her head because he doesn't approve of Andrrrei.

• Love 4
12 hours ago, liammaam said:

And really, daddy dearest has never encouraged Elizabeth to get a full time job? "she only works part time, and she's not paid well". WTF? In other words "get out now, because we don't cotton to furrin ex soviet folk cozying up to our fillies here in 'Murica, boy. You'll have to go into the mills, or the mines, or pick crops. She can't support you on what she makes as a file clerk in my basement office 15 hours a week". He was positive that was the coup de grace. He was utterly flabbergasted that Andrei, a grown man, had money in the bank and a solid plan for the future. Really, those two need to flee, flee as fast as they can to another city, far away from Florida.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, funky-rat said:

If you click on the link above about Elizabeth being an actress, it will link to another story about them, and there's some info about Andrrrrrrrei and Elizabeth's parents that proves this show is just all MFTV drama.

Um.  Did you see this in the comments section?

"I’m fairly certain I saw Andrei on an early episode of Keeping Up with the Kardashians from approximately ten years ago, fitting the timeline of when he overstayed his prior visa. The episode consists of Khloé going to an acting class, and she has a stage kiss with a guy who has to be Andrei."

11 hours ago, Bryce Lynch said:

I understand the concerns of both Elizabeth and Molly's families.  But, I thought Elizabeth's father and brother were not even giving Andrrrei and chance, despite there being a lot less reason to believe that he is scamming Elizabeth than there is with Louise and Molly.  Molly's Dad was a lot more polite with Louise than they were with Andrrrei.  

As for the expenses, I think it might be harder for a foreign man to earn enough money to afford what is considered a decent standard of living in America than to do the same in some other countries.  He does have a plan (truck driving), plus I would imagine he could do some work as a bouncer on the side, or while he is working to become a truck driver.  It seem like Elizabeth really needs a full time job, at least until Andrrrei can legally work.  

I suspect Father Elizabeth probably pays her full time wages for the "part time" property manager work and is now holding that over her head because he doesn't approve of Andrrrei.

I found this nifty comparison of cost-of-living in Tampa, FL (where Elizabeth lives) and Chisinau, Moldova (where Andrei is from originally): https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/compare_cities.jsp?country1=Moldova&country2=United+States&city1=Chisinau&city2=Tampa%2C+FL

Quite a difference. However, Andrei has been living in Dublin, Ireland - which is more expensive than Tampa, FL: https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/compare_cities.jsp?country1=Ireland&country2=United+States&city1=Dublin&city2=Tampa%2C+FL

The point is had Andrei come directly from Moldova to Tampa, he probably wouldn't have been at all prepared for that great a difference in the cost-of-living. But having lived in Dublin for awhile, and the high cost-of-living there, I suspect he has a good idea of what he's getting into and if he has savings (as he says he does), probably knows just how far that savings will take them.

I think Elizabeth's father and brother were rude to Andrei. They both just seemed to assume Andrei has nothing, did nothing to prepare for living in FL with Elizabeth, and expects Father Elizabeth to support them. I don't think that's the case at all, and had Father & brother not been so antagonistic to Andrei, he might have shared with them exactly how he plans to pay his share until he's able to work. But they attacked him, so I think he just decided at that point they didn't deserve any explanations. I tend to agree.

• Love 12

I could be wrong but I thought I heard Andrei say he had plans for the future but while he was working on those plans, he would be a truck driver.

Isn't the truck driving just a stepping stone?

I am running for president of the Andrei is a Snack fan club! Yum!

• Love 3
On 11/12/2017 at 10:26 PM, Real Eyes said:

First, Andrei's surname is Ukrainian, not Moldovan.  Second, the attitude in that part of the world (Ukraine, Moldova, Russia) about married women going to clubs without their husbands is that they don't.  A real woman is home, taking care of the home and family, even if she works.  Only sluts go to clubs/bars.  So yes, absolutely, this is cultural, and it is deeply ingrained, so much so, I don't think his thinking will change on this.

Thinking of Alla & Aleksandra...both of whom loved a good spin around the dance floor.

• Love 1
37 minutes ago, balisticnikki said:

Thinking of Alla & Aleksandra...both of whom loved a good spin around the dance floor.

Aleksandra was super young .... but I think Alla was a true exception to the rule. I really do not think Alla had any pickings in Ukriane, and was still a party girl in her 30s. 

• Love 1
8 hours ago, spankydoll said:

Um.  Did you see this in the comments section?

"I’m fairly certain I saw Andrei on an early episode of Keeping Up with the Kardashians from approximately ten years ago, fitting the timeline of when he overstayed his prior visa. The episode consists of Khloé going to an acting class, and she has a stage kiss with a guy who has to be Andrei."

This person certainly does sound and look like him!

24 minutes ago, TwirlyGirly said:

I agree. Andrei has a cleft in his chin and a slight bump on the bridge of his nose; the actor in that episode does not. Also, Andrei's eyes are more widely spaced.

Andrei ‘s eyes are spaced a smidge too far apart, but I am warming up to him.  He seems like most matter of fact Eastern European men that do not suffer fools gladly. Really like how he handled Libby’s yokel dad and brothers.  I used to think he was a Neanderthal.

• Love 2

My parents came to the USA from Latvia.  Men are just like this in the culture....I don’t see anything bad about him.  It’s his personality.  I think Elizabeth was swayed by the show to paint him in a bad light.  And as an actress, she played it to the hilt.  Badly.  

• Love 2
13 minutes ago, PityFree said:

I’ve always said that the true test of one’s relationship is assembling furniture together.  They seem to have managed that without yelling or fighting, so I predict good things for them. 

I’m an engineer and my husband is an IT and electronics geek; so, putting together IKEA and other kits without instructions is our jam!

• LOL 1
  • Love 7