Type keyword(s) to search

Nicole & Azan: Supersize My Tagine

• Start Topic

19 minutes ago, pollywood said:

I'm curious how many times we'll see Nicole trying to get Daddy alone with her tagine this season. Or will it be Ramadan the whole time?

She doesn't care enough to research his religion and advance her knowledge. He could tell her anything and she'd have no way to check.

• Love 7
21 hours ago, pollywood said:

I'm curious how many times we'll see Nicole trying to get Daddy alone with her tagine this season. Or will it be Ramadan the whole time?

No wonder Azan is playing the good daddy! He probably begged Nicole to bring May along this time so he wouldn't have to worry about alone time with Nicole. Although I supposed Nicole probably isn't above trying to get some hanky panky with May sleeping in the same room. (i can't imagine anyone shelling out the money for a 2 bedroom for filming?)

• Love 5

So here's what I think about Daddy, Nicole, and May. Just my opinions.

Nicole has nothing mentally or emotionally wrong with her; she's just a spoiled, lazy, immature girl. I think she probably falls for guys easily and that's what happened here. She's headstrong enough to go anywhere for a guy, even a place she'd never heard of. She doesn't really know how to be a mother and it might not be entirely her. Her own mom might be saying "oh let me take care of May" and enabling Nicole to be carefree in the process. I think Azan likes Nicole, maybe loves her on some level. I think he himself might not know what being in love is and he thinks maybe this is it. I don't think he has intentions of getting a green card and splitting. He seems quite happy in Morocco. I also think he really likes May and in his mind he thinks "sure, I can marry Nicole and be May's daddy" because he's just not thinking about the Big Picture. This is how a lot of young people are. When I was in my early 20s I thought I knew what love and relationships and all of that meant. I don't see any ulterior motives from Azan. I think he just doesn't know what he's getting into, and he's a nice guy just trying to be nice and have a happy life. Nicole is pushy and stubborn as all hell in addition to immature. She doesn't want to know about Moroccan culture, and TLC exploits this by making her go there not once but twice, for extended visits. Unlike many of the other couples we see where there is a mutual using, these two crazy kids simply think they're in love with each other. Like Chantel and Pedro, they're not ready for marriage.

That's my opinion. Subject to change as the season progresses.

• Love 13

Mae acts about like you'd expect the child of Nicole to.  Yeah I know she's only 2, but I get the sense she's quite a handful and it may be difficult to step into that and trying to co-parent with Nicole would be a nightmare.  Azan may want to reconsider taking this on.  Of course, anytime you attempt to be the step parent is going to be challenging, even in the most ideal situations.  But nothing about Nicole is ideal.  

Also, the way Nicole snatches and slings her around boils my ass. 

• Love 14
On 10/18/2017 at 4:56 PM, pollywood said:

So here's what I think about Daddy, Nicole, and May. Just my opinions.

Nicole has nothing mentally or emotionally wrong with her; she's just a spoiled, lazy, immature girl. I think she probably falls for guys easily and that's what happened here. She's headstrong enough to go anywhere for a guy, even a place she'd never heard of. She doesn't really know how to be a mother and it might not be entirely her. Her own mom might be saying "oh let me take care of May" and enabling Nicole to be carefree in the process. I think Azan likes Nicole, maybe loves her on some level. I think he himself might not know what being in love is and he thinks maybe this is it. I don't think he has intentions of getting a green card and splitting. He seems quite happy in Morocco. I also think he really likes May and in his mind he thinks "sure, I can marry Nicole and be May's daddy" because he's just not thinking about the Big Picture. This is how a lot of young people are. When I was in my early 20s I thought I knew what love and relationships and all of that meant. I don't see any ulterior motives from Azan. I think he just doesn't know what he's getting into, and he's a nice guy just trying to be nice and have a happy life. Nicole is pushy and stubborn as all hell in addition to immature. She doesn't want to know about Moroccan culture, and TLC exploits this by making her go there not once but twice, for extended visits. Unlike many of the other couples we see where there is a mutual using, these two crazy kids simply think they're in love with each other. Like Chantel and Pedro, they're not ready for marriage.

I don't see any obvious ulterior motives with Azan, but I just think he is way too good for Nicole, so he has to be in it for the green card, or maybe just the cash for being on the show.  I just can't think of any other logical reason why he would want to marry trashy, spoiled, nasty Nicole.   He doesn't seem that stupid or desperate.   

Edited by Bryce Lynch
  • Love 10
8 hours ago, NinaH said:

Mae acts about like you'd expect the child of Nicole to.  Yeah I know she's only 2, but I get the sense she's quite a handful and it may be difficult to step into that and trying to co-parent with Nicole would be a nightmare.  Azan may want to reconsider taking this on.  Of course, anytime you attempt to be the step parent is going to be challenging, even in the most ideal situations.  But nothing about Nicole is ideal.  

Also, the way Nicole snatches and slings her around boils my ass. 

I think Azan would be in for a horrible time trying to raise May with Nicole.  I can already see that Nicole expects Azan to be able to control May, but then lashes out at him when he actually tries to do it.  If Azan is foolish enough to marry Nicole, she will be constantly second guessing him with May and everything will be his fault.  

BTW, I love that Azan is anti-child leash!   

• Love 3

As they shuffled down the sidewalk, Maey bolted and ran forward. Half a second later Asan ran after her. Nole said, Maey, come back..., and never broke gait from her fat knees shuffle. It would have been the same if she had been by herself with the kid. Kid is fast, she is tired and lazy.

• Love 11
Just now, Forum member said:

Kid is fast, she is tired and lazy.

To her credit, she did try to put May on a lead.  Azan balked, but Nicole should have held her ground.  For whtever reason, Nicole cannot keep up with her, and she knows it.  Azan simply does not understand that May has not been taught that no means no and stay means stay.  May has been raised without boundaries, which will be completely foreign to Azan.  

10 minutes ago, Bryce Lynch said:

If Azan is foolish enough to marry Nicole, she will be constantly second guessing him with May and everything will be his fault.  

May is Nicole's child.  She should be "second guessing" anyone who thinks they know better than she does.  That actually is her job as a mother, and I hope she does it.  

On 10/18/2017 at 4:56 PM, pollywood said:

I am with you 100% on all of this.  

• Love 5
On 10/17/2017 at 7:37 PM, Forum member said:

She doesn't care enough to research his religion and advance her knowledge. He could tell her anything and she'd have no way to check.

Also, it doesn't seem to occur to her that no one knows what they do in her hotel room.  So as long as they have two rooms for the sake of propriety and a babysitter, anyone could be anywhere, even in a tagine.  If that person wanted to, of course.  

• Love 6
5 hours ago, Sprockets said:

To her credit, she did try to put May on a lead.  Azan balked, but Nicole should have held her ground.  For whtever reason, Nicole cannot keep up with her, and she knows it.  Azan simply does not understand that May has not been taught that no means no and stay means stay.  May has been raised without boundaries, which will be completely foreign to Azan.  

May is Nicole's child.  She should be "second guessing" anyone who thinks they know better than she does.  That actually is her job as a mother, and I hope she does it.  

My point is that Nicole is going to expect Azan to do all the heavy lifting when it comes to parenting, but then will criticize nearly everything he does.  I agree that Nicole should be making the decisions for May and doing most of the parenting, but I don't see her doing that.  

• Love 8

Two year olds are naturally curious and have lots of energy. I used to teach preschool and I never met a toddler who learned how to "stay" and never disobeyed. They are kids, not dogs. I'm not a fan of Nicole, but her daughter is no different from any other toddler I have ever seen. Most parents use strollers and even then, almost every two year old is dying to get out and explore their world. Moroccan children may be perfect at all times, but I would have to see if to believe it. She should be taught not to run out in the street or touch things that don't belong to her, but even then she needs to just be closely supervised. 

• Love 16
8 hours ago, Sprockets said:

Why is their only 2 choices a lead or May on her little feet? What about a sling stroller? Couldn't Azan borrow one from a relative ? Or idiot Nicole bring one? Or buy one there? She sure was bright enough to pack the ipad and headphones for May to shut her up at meal times. Gawd this idiot is grating on my nerves.

• Love 8

Did anyone else catch Nicole calling her beloved "Hassan" a few times?  Maybe it's my imagination, having just learned his "real" name, or maybe editing just isn't being as meticulous.  It's a nuanced but noticeable difference.

• Love 7
1 minute ago, Kath94 said:

Did anyone else catch Nicole calling her beloved "Hassan" a few times?  Maybe it's my imagination, having just learned his "real" name, or maybe editing just isn't being as meticulous.  It's a nuanced but noticeable difference.

She totally did, it's actually what she yelled at him when Mae ran off which leads me to believe that is probably what she typically calls him off camera and she defaulted to it instinctively. 

• Love 3

Azan really, REALLY wants to get out of Morocco and Nicole is that ticket out.  He also really can't stand her.  She is completely unappealing to him, and he barely masks his disgust.  

He refused the lead only because of What Will People Say cultural differences.  He should never have had the lead in his hand in the first place,  it is for Nicole to have the lead.  She is the White Woman with the White Kid, from the different culture....her doing that would probably not have been such a shock to Moroccans watching them.  "Oh Those Foreigners!"  Mae is her child and  Nicole knows she can't keep up with her and she should always be in control of the lead.  I suspect she relented and let Azan have his way only because she figured "Fine!  YOU watch her!" which is probably what she does with her family all the time. I have no beef with the lead, Nicole at least took into consideration that Mae is 2 and that she cannot physically keep up with her -- especially in a foreign country where neither one of them is familiar.  It was asking too much of him. He doesn't know Mae.  He has no clue how she will act without a lead or in any circumstances really.  Azan, not being a parent, may not understand how little Moroccan kids get to be respectful and well behaved -- I am going to go out on a limb and say that those children have been Home Schooled to their culture and what is expected of them.  Mae, it appears, has not.  

Nicole yelling at him in the street was such a cultural No-No, I am surprised he didn't walk away from the show at that moment.  Nicole will never be able to control herself from being abusive, demanding and high strung towards Azan, so they need to get out of any Muslim country asap if he is going to stay with her. and put up with that.  Azan takes care of his appearance and tries to present himself well on teevee.  I can't imagine what, other than a ticket out of Morocco, would compel him to stay with her after she admitted to cheating, shoves and yells at him, is unmotivated in doing almost anything, and doesn't appear to bring anything to the Relationship Table.  

On a mean note:  When she looks at him with her Baby Huey eyes and wants to eat him up because he is so physically attractive to her, I want to throw up a little bit.   

• Love 14
11 hours ago, Sprockets said:

But she's teaching May that Azan is daddy. If he's 'daddy' then she should also be respected as 'daddy'. As a mother, you'd stand behind the father and bitch to him privately if you disagree. Nicole wants Azan to have the 'daddy' title but without him actually acting like a father. Azan may actually take being a father seriously and then be very confused when Nicole scolds him for scolding May. Just like she did in this episode when all he did was stop May from running off.

3 hours ago, greekmom said:

Why is their only 2 choices a lead or May on her little feet? What about a sling stroller? Couldn't Azan borrow one from a relative ? Or idiot Nicole bring one? Or buy one there? She sure was bright enough to pack the ipad and headphones for May to shut her up at meal times. Gawd this idiot is grating on my nerves.

Or they could hold May's hand like a lot of us used to do with our children until we got so lazy that even holding hands became too much work.

3 hours ago, Kath94 said:

Why do they change their names for this show? Aren't Pedro and Chantelle using fake names too? 

• Love 5
59 minutes ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

It often sounded to me that she was calling him Aslan, the lion from The Chronicles of Narnia.

Aslan is a real name, I knew a guy called Aslan once, he was Muslim.

5 hours ago, Nowhere said:

Or they could hold May's hand like a lot of us used to do with our children until we got so lazy that even holding hands became too much work.

They were holding her hand and than like kids can sometimes do she wiggled out at one point and at another point just took off running so Azan was pulling her arm.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, Ivanova said:

Aslan is a real name, I knew a guy called Aslan once, he was Muslim.

I’d believe it.  There are many names we aren’t aware of are real names. CS Lewis could have well been inspired by a friend and honored him by naming a character after him.

2 hours ago, biakbiak said:

They were holding her hand and than like kids can sometimes do she wiggled out at one point and at another point just took off running so Azan was pulling her arm.

I think that Azan was unprepared for how out of control May is.  She’s not used to being manhandled or strong armed and is already frightened by unfamiliar surroundings, and Nicole needs to find a way to tel him that without making a scene in public. He’s already thinking she’s had some discipline and training that most children her age in Morocco have had already.  But, I think at the end of the day, he will find May easier to deal with than the 22 year old petulant toddler in tow.

• Love 6

I have no issue with the lead either.  I was a "leashed" kid in the 70's, as was my brother-in-law in the 80's.  My mom was a fantastic mom, and I was generally a good kid, but when we were out and about, it was usually with my grandmother (my mom's mom, who didn't drive, so my mom took her for her "weekly shopping"), who had health issues, and required a lot of attention.  I'm an only child, and my dad worked weird hours, and I couldn't be left home alone.  Plus I was the only grandchild on that side, and my grandmother wanted to spend time with me.  Shopping carts weren't as nice in the 70's, and the way I'm built, my legs would go to sleep sitting in the cart, and I'd cry until I was taken out because it hurt.  May could be one of those kids who freaks out in a stroller (my brother-in-law was one - no amount of threats or beatings could control him, and it turned out he had a major case of ADHD).  If leads are so frowned upon in Moroccan culture (which I understand - children are raised much more strictly there), then have Nicole hold her lead (since she's not Morrocan), or leave her at home with his family.  Like I said,  I was a good kid generally, but when I was 2-3 years old, I could get the devil in me occasionally, and I'd push the limits, as kids of that age tend to do.  I got a lot of attention from my grandmother, so there's that too.  By the time my grandmother had passed,  I was 6 (turned 7 later that year) and it was no longer an issue.  My mom also used the lead in situations where there were large crowds and there was a lot of pushing/shoving, and a stroller wasn't practical.  Like at our large fair, which is close to a state fair in size and scope.  There are constantly lost child alerts going out, even all these years later.

• Love 8

I can't stand Nicole.   She's immature, bratty, and has a bad attitude about everything.  But, I can't get on her case for May's behavior.  I have a toddler a bit younger than May, and he gets into everything, despite being told "no" about 800 times a day.  There a drawer in my room I don't want him in, and I stop him from going in there every single day and have done so for about one year.   But if I wasn't in the room, that is exactly where he would go.  I absolutely am in favor of discipline for kids, but at this age, they really don't get it yet.   I actually think May was doing well considering the time difference in Morocco and the jet lag.  My guy would have been screaming his lungs out.  Poor kid probably isn't getting many naps!

That being said , I doubt Nicole is a stellar parent.  But we really won't know whether May is well-behaved or not or another year of two.

• Love 14

I have been to Casablanca, and strollers would be impossible in the market area because cobblestones. This was in the 1960s, but I imagine not much has changed. And I'm from a small southern town and never saw a stroller until I moved to NYC...I think they are largely a modern big-city thing. Same reason rollaboard suitcases aren't always the best option for international travel.

• Love 3

In my minimal experience with young kids.... if they don't want to hold your hand and want to try and run off without you.... then they aren't likely to want to sit in a stroller or be held either.   At least the 'lead' gives them a sense of freedom. Which is what they want.  

• Love 6
On 10/23/2017 at 9:31 PM, Nowhere said:

But she's teaching May that Azan is daddy. If he's 'daddy' then she should also be respected as 'daddy'.

I certainly don't think that two year old May understands the implications of calling someone "Daddy". Nicole has taught her to call this guy she Skypes with "Daddy" and May just parrots it back like when you show a child that age pictures and say "what's this?" "Kitty", "who's this?" "Grammy", etc. May could be taught to call Azan anything; "Azan," "Bozo," even "Mommy's Moroccan Stud Muffin" (okay, that last one might be a bit hard to pronounce) but the concept of "this guy is your instant father so listen to him" is totally lost on her. 

Edited by magemaud
  • Love 11
2 minutes ago, magemaud said:

I certainly don't think that two year old May understands the implications of calling someone "Daddy". Nicole has taught her to call this guy she Skypes with "Daddy" and May just parrots it back like when you show a child that age pictures and say "what's this?" "Kitty", "who's this?" "Grammy", etc. May could be taught to call Azan anything; "Azan," "Bozo," even "Mommy's Moroccan Stud Muffin" (okay, that last one might be a bit hard to pronounce) but the concept of "this guy is your father so listen to him" is totally lost on her. 

It's called conditioning. If it is used enough and said enough and pushed on her enough she will eventually pick up the concept. Kids, including two year olds, are amazing in how fast they learn. Having been around children from newborn to teens all my life, day in and day out, gave insight into how easy it is for them to pick up on things.

• Love 3
On 10/23/2017 at 6:55 PM, Eme said:

Azan really, REALLY wants to get out of Morocco and Nicole is that ticket out.  He also really can't stand her.  She is completely unappealing to him, and he barely masks his disgust.  

He refused the lead only because of What Will People Say cultural differences.  He should never have had the lead in his hand in the first place,  it is for Nicole to have the lead.  She is the White Woman with the White Kid, from the different culture....her doing that would probably not have been such a shock to Moroccans watching them.  "Oh Those Foreigners!"  Mae is her child and  Nicole knows she can't keep up with her and she should always be in control of the lead.  I suspect she relented and let Azan have his way only because she figured "Fine!  YOU watch her!" which is probably what she does with her family all the time. I have no beef with the lead, Nicole at least took into consideration that Mae is 2 and that she cannot physically keep up with her -- especially in a foreign country where neither one of them is familiar.  It was asking too much of him. He doesn't know Mae.  He has no clue how she will act without a lead or in any circumstances really.  Azan, not being a parent, may not understand how little Moroccan kids get to be respectful and well behaved -- I am going to go out on a limb and say that those children have been Home Schooled to their culture and what is expected of them.  Mae, it appears, has not.  

Nicole yelling at him in the street was such a cultural No-No, I am surprised he didn't walk away from the show at that moment.  Nicole will never be able to control herself from being abusive, demanding and high strung towards Azan, so they need to get out of any Muslim country asap if he is going to stay with her. and put up with that.  Azan takes care of his appearance and tries to present himself well on teevee.  I can't imagine what, other than a ticket out of Morocco, would compel him to stay with her after she admitted to cheating, shoves and yells at him, is unmotivated in doing almost anything, and doesn't appear to bring anything to the Relationship Table.  

On a mean note:  When she looks at him with her Baby Huey eyes and wants to eat him up because he is so physically attractive to her, I want to throw up a little bit.   

I can see maybe he wants to leave but to the US? I don't think so. There is no indication he is really so gung ho about coming to the States. Otherwise he would have skyped with her parents to secure that sponsor instead of writing a letter. 

On a meaner note: I really would love to slap her silly ( I wouldn't but I would love to).

• Love 6
8 minutes ago, greekmom said:

I can see maybe he wants to leave but to the US? I don't think so. There is no indication he is really so gung ho about coming to the States. Otherwise he would have skyped with her parents to secure that sponsor instead of writing a letter. 

On a meaner note: I really would love to slap her silly ( I wouldn't but I would love to).

Interesting how we all see things differently in this day and age, I took writing the letter as a way of demonstrating that he was more invested in the process than if he had just skyped.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7

On FAcbook, in the two groups I've joined, there so much support for Nichole it is unbelievable. Someone posted a photo of a treadmill and said Nichole had been working out. Someone else said until they see her on it they wouldn't belieive it. There came such a dispute on how everyone is mean and hates on her! I don't know how old you have to be in order to join a group like that but I swear some of those people are no older than 12! Of course, no photo of her actually doing anything ever posted.

• Love 4
9 hours ago, ethalfrida said:

Someone posted a photo of a treadmill and said Nichole had been working out.

I wonder if Nicole will beat Danielle's record of the "16 Calories Burned Workout" on the treadmill

• Love 3
On 10/24/2017 at 8:59 PM, lucy711 said:

I can't stand Nicole.   She's immature, bratty, and has a bad attitude about everything.  But, I can't get on her case for May's behavior.  I have a toddler a bit younger than May, and he gets into everything, despite being told "no" about 800 times a day.  There a drawer in my room I don't want him in, and I stop him from going in there every single day and have done so for about one year.   But if I wasn't in the room, that is exactly where he would go.  I absolutely am in favor of discipline for kids, but at this age, they really don't get it yet.   I actually think May was doing well considering the time difference in Morocco and the jet lag.  My guy would have been screaming his lungs out.  Poor kid probably isn't getting many naps!

That being said , I doubt Nicole is a stellar parent.  But we really won't know whether May is well-behaved or not or another year of two.

THANK YOU ! Toddlers are toddlers. Until they mature a little bit and become more verbal, its hard to discipline them and make it stick. We do the best we can, but they are all impulsive little creatures. 

I thought Azan was pretty judgemental to Nicole about her parenting. He seems kind of immature and not understanding of Nicole adjusting to parenting in a brand new place. When I saw May running out into the busy sidewalk, I absolutely thought she needed to have the backpack leash. It looks wierd but better safe than sorry, plus its not hurting the child in any way. They probbly like the backpack TBH

Edited by Matias130
  • Love 5

I'm not defending Nicole or the idea of the backpack leash, but Azan seemed much more concerned about how HE would be viewed for May's behavior in the crowd than for the child's safety and he certainly couldn't expect them to exhibit Moroccan child-rearing practices the minute they got off the plane. Nobody is going to mistake Nicole for a local mother and any criticism is going to be directed at her (especially if he avoids making it obvious they're together to the casual observer, like by shrugging off her embraces.) 

• Love 8

I am generally #teamAzan but in the past two episodes, he's come across as a little naive. He keeps saying that "Moroccan children listen", "Moroccan children are well-behaved," etc. etc. and then acting appalled when May throws a tantrum, whines, et al. But Azan doesn't have kids. Is he even around them much? These comments sound like things that people who don't have much experience with kids say. It's like saying, "Well, when I have kids MY kids will never throw a fit!" And then you have them and you learn that even the most well-behaved children can throw a good tantrum now and then. I feel the same way about him saying that Nicole should fix healthy meals every night because "Moroccan women cook healthy meals every day." He's probably always come home in time for dinner and magically found a meal waiting for him, having no insight on how difficult it was for his mother/sister/grandmother to struggle all day with child rearing/working/cleaning/errand running/life in general and actually prepare that meal for him. I think in some ways Azan is probably sheltered and has never had to really "adult" on his own. 

I mean, I generally agree with him. Nicole should eat healthier meals, she should take care of herself, and stuff. However, if he's going to marry her and move to America then he might also have to compromise and give up some of this "Moroccan women do X" line of thinking. He might *gasp* actually learn to have to cook dinner himself and have it ready for when Nicole comes home. If he wants healthy meals then he may have to start making them. Nicole isn't going to change. 

• Love 10

Nicole works, at most, part time at Starbucks, and whether she is still doing that is questionable.  Her home consists of one room and a bathroom, which might take an hour a week to clean thoroughly.   So the only demand on her time is caring for her child.   Fortunately, she has a open concept living space ! so she can keep an eye on her child in the less than 30 minutes of active work time it would take to prepare a healthy meal.      

• Love 3
On October 23, 2017 at 6:14 PM, Kath94 said:

I was JUST going to ask if anyone caught that ... it seems like she says "Azan" during the posted talking heads, but I've heard her call him "Hassan" at least twice whe she's been chasing him down the street. 

• Love 1