Type keyword(s) to search

Nicole & Azan: Supersize My Tagine

• Start Topic

9 minutes ago, Sprockets said:

Did I miss the definition of tagine, or is it exactly what I suspect?  

A bit of a double-entendre, I admit.   Tagine is a popular Moroccan dish (like a stew) but also sounds a lot like a body part Nicole enjoys showing Azan. 

Also, when Nicole first visited Morocco she was disappointed that there were only a few "fries" (potatoes) on the dish, not like in America.  She wanted the tagine to be bigger, a little bit.

• Love 18

Well, I made chicken tagine recently and that's what I was thinking of.  Chicken, almonds, raisins, cinnamon.  And I do own a tagine pot which I bought because it was so pretty,  It seems to be the common food in Morocco, so like fries for Nicole -????  If ?there is another meaning, forgive me I am an old lady!

If

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
5 minutes ago, Drogo said:

A bit of a double-entendre, I admit.  

Ah, so it is kind of what I suspected.  A large round mushy thing that looks like something someone once wanted, but now not so much.  Thanks!  

IMG_6292.JPG

16 minutes ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

Yes, I know the tagine is the ceramic serving dish that delightful Moroccan food can be found under.

It is also the dish itself.  And babies are delivered through it between meals.  

Edited by Sprockets
you say tagina, I say. . . .
  • LOL 1
  • Love 9
1 minute ago, LocalGovt said:

Don't know if anyone knows (or even if it's ok to post this here -- if not, please remove), but the next episode is up on the TLC website -- and features Nicole and Azan (as well as the others). 

Yup, the episode thread for that one is available here if you want to discuss it - a bunch of folks have watched it online.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Sprockets said:

Did I miss the definition of tagine, or is it exactly what I suspect?  

2 hours ago, Drogo said:

A bit of a double-entendre, I admit.   Tagine is a popular Moroccan dish (like a stew) but also sounds a lot like a body part Nicole enjoys showing Azan. 

Also, when Nicole first visited Morocco she was disappointed that there were only a few "fries" (potatoes) on the dish, not like in America.  She wanted the tagine to be bigger, a little bit.

A tagine is a cooking vessel, although dishes traditionally cooked in a tagine are often called "tagines." A traditional tagine is made of glazed earthenware, and is in two parts. The conical top part sits on a lip inside the bottom portion (which may be used as a serving dish as well).

The picture is of my own tagine, which is "standard size," but tagines are made in an entire range of sizes; I've seen little baby tagines which can be used to hold salt & pepper on the table (replacing shakers). and small tagines which can be used to make just one serving. If Nicole is looking for a "super-size" tagine in Morocco, no doubt she'll be able to find one to suit her needs (and her voracious appetite!). <snicker>

The benefit to using a tagine is foods cooked in one remain very moist, without necessitating adding a lot of liquid. As the food cooks, steam rises to the top, condenses on the inside of the conical lid, then drips down the sides - basting the food. (My tagine has a very small hole on the side of the upper portion to release pressure; some tagines have the hole at the very top).

You can do a lot more with a tagine than just cook stews (although there is a bit of a learning curve to using one, so that's probably why most recipes geared towards tagine cooking for Americans are more stew-like). You can, for example, roast a chicken and potatoes in one.

BTW - the bases shown in the second picture on which the some of the tagines are sitting (shown separately in third photo) is called a majmar. If you don't have a stove or oven, or just want to cook outdoors, the majmar is filled with hot coals and the tagine is set on top.

DSC_2312[1].JPG

Tagines.jpg

Majmar.jpg

• Love 15

Dear Drogo hilariously compared Nicole's brattiness to that of Veruca Salt

http://forums.previously.tv/applications/core/interface/imageproxy/imageproxy.php?img=https://media.giphy.com/media/jMusG7sxBqCze/giphy.gif&key=10f7a8362b30b8c432a43740e7c493b0312627dc756251757ba96b70d0d73320

However, her eating habits bring this memorable Wonka character to mind, none other than Augustus Gloop.

IMG_0648.JPG

Edited by Arwen Evenstar
Forgot something
  • Love 4
27 minutes ago, Major Bigtime said:

Nicole's sister in 2016 with their father. She's now in nursing school, working on her RN degree. She gets overlooked in the chaos of Nicole's I Wanna Be On TV And Be A Drama Queen!

1922280F-00EB-4F0F-BA77-265A278492FD.jpeg

This.  Children can be raised in the same house with the same parents, but because they are individuals, they turn out differently. One bad apple don't spoil the whole bunch. Congratulations Sister Nicole!

• Love 18
1 hour ago, Desert Rat said:

This.  Children can be raised in the same house with the same parents, but because they are individuals, they turn out differently. One bad apple don't spoil the whole bunch. Congratulations Sister Nicole!

I'm living proof of this. My brother is 4 years younger than me and I'd never even let sorry ass Nicole be subjected to him. He's lazier than she is, lies, steals, does drugs, mooches off our parents and is a waste of oxygen. We were raised in the same household with the same 2 parents, taken to church, involved in sports, activities, friends, middle class upbringing, disciplined, etc. About as a normal, uneventful childhoods as anybody would want. I work, pay my bills, wouldn't dream of stealing a dime from anybody, and strive to be a good person.   So Nicole being such a loser doesn't reflect poorly on her parents or the rest of her family. 

• Love 15
32 minutes ago, NinaH said:

I'm living proof of this. My brother is 4 years younger than me and I'd never even let sorry ass Nicole be subjected to him. He's lazier than she is, lies, steals, does drugs, mooches off our parents and is a waste of oxygen. We were raised in the same household with the same 2 parents, taken to church, involved in sports, activities, friends, middle class upbringing, disciplined, etc. About as a normal, uneventful childhoods as anybody would want. I work, pay my bills, wouldn't dream of stealing a dime from anybody, and strive to be a good person.   So Nicole being such a loser doesn't reflect poorly on her parents or the rest of her family. 

Thumbs up 1000 times!!!!  People make choices.  Maybe it's mental illness, or character flaws, or drugs, or low IQ, or ADHD, or bad luck, or bad choices, or something else.  But you can't necessarily blame the parents. 

• Love 4
1 minute ago, Meowwww said:

Does Nicole live in a converted motel or something?   It appears to be one room with an outside door, in a row of other similar doors like a motel. 

Not sure its converted.  Seems like welfare housing to me.  Section eight or whatever it's called.  

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Meowwww said:

Does Nicole live in a converted motel or something?   It appears to be one room with an outside door, in a row of other similar doors like a motel. 

In my city, these are the places you would find crack 'hoes and meth heads.  Nicole, for all her problems, is above that class.  She has good teeth, hair and skin.  

• Love 1
6 hours ago, NinaH said:

I have always believed in nature over nurture. 

• Love 6
15 hours ago, Meowwww said:

Nicole is so UGLY to her parents.  How do they put up with it?   For Mae, I bet. Nicole knows this and uses every second of it. 

Mae is probably her meal ticket, in more ways than one. I know if she was my daughter and didn't have the kid, her fat baby bullshit wouldn't get her anywhere. Even with the kid it wouldn't, but anything I spent or gave would go directly to the child, along with an ass chewing every chance I got. 

• Love 6

I said this in the episode thread, but am repeating myself here (with the typos fixed - uggg) because I think there is something wrong with Nicole mentally:

On 10/8/2017 at 10:19 PM, Christina said:

Nicole reminds me of my niece who recently got into criminal trouble and her court appointed defense attorney petitioned the court to pay for her to undergo a forensic psychological exam because her mental age didn't seem to be the same as her physical age. When it came back, the psychologist determined her mental and emotional age to be 11, the same age she was when she was when she was hit by a car and suffered a brain injury. He also said that she could be talked into anything. Send a cute boy to talk to her and she would be robbing convenience stores with a gun or trafficking guns and drugs. An eleven year old would know not to do those things, though. He also said she meets every criteria to become a victim of human sex trafficking.

All that to say, I think Nicole has something wrong with her. She doesn't act her age and is the perfect person for a child molester to date. She would move into her home with her daughter and look the other way as she is abused, because he takes care of her. I think that lowly of her.

• Love 9
19 minutes ago, Christina said:

I said this in the episode thread, but am repeating myself here (with the typos fixed - uggg) because I think there is something wrong with Nicole mentally:

I agree Christina, Nicole may have mental illness of some kind.  She may need treatment. Mental illnesses cause disturbing behaviors, poor judgment, and social maladjustment.  If Nicole has a mental illness, it is not her fault, and I am ashamed for having made fun of her.  Or, she could be just a selfish, childish bitch.

• Useful 1
  • Love 9
37 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

Anyone know the medical code number for flat-out stupid?  That's how I see Nicole.  And Danielle.  And most of the other people on this show.

Stupid Idiot is not included in the DSM-5.

• LOL 1
  • Love 7

I really hate playing armchair psychologist, but I wouldn't be surprised if Nicole is developmentally stunted (for whatever reason). Her behavior really is that of a small child; other posters describe her as calculating and manipulative, but I think she's manipulative in the way that children are. She knows that crying/whining/etc. will produce an effect, so that's what she uses to get her way. When she decided to threaten Father Nicole with taking Mae to live abroad, it reminded me of a 6 year old telling mom they were going to "run away" if they didn't get the doll they wanted. When she was upset with Azan, she pushes him and (literally) throws her weight around like a bully. She goes crying to his mother to get someone on her side. She's jealous of her own daughter for getting more attention. These are the behaviors of a child, not an adult. And the fact that every single member of her family treats her like someone who can't be relied on to make good decisions, just confirms my suspicions. She's got the emotional intelligence of an 8 year old.

When she rolls her eyes at anyone trying to give her good advice, insisting that she knows what she's doing, I lose any sympathy I might have for her. The girl is one of the least likeable people I've ever seen on TV, and I've watched every season of Toddles/Tiaras, Sister Wives, the Bachelor, and ANTM.

Bring on Season 3! I, for one, will watch 8 seasons of Azan and Nicole, as long as it brings the lolz.

• Love 14

She may have some kind of mental illness/disorder or something clinically wrong with her but I don't GAF. Maybe it's not her fault, but it is her parents fault for not getting her the proper help and allowing her to unleash her nastiness on the rest of the world, and now an innocent child. She is their cross to bear and should keep her in her place. Instead she bulldozes her way thru the world and makes mess after mess. I have no sympathy for any of them except Mae. 

• Love 2

With respect, Nicole is 22. Her parents can't do anything. I suspect her mom has tried to get custody of Mae in the past, but Nicole may have threatened to move out of state or completely cut her off if she tried. The family has heavily implied that Nicole doesn't do much parenting; the mom and sister watch Mae most of the time, which is really all they can do (make sure Mae is cared for, since Nicole doesn't listen to anyone).
And given that her siblings look like they turned out just fine, I'm not willing to blame her parents for Nicole's shitty behavior and attitude. Parents can only do so much. My own parents were pretty damn amazing, but that didn't stop me from becoming a drug addict at 14, living on the street and committing petty thefts to get by (that was just me being an asshole).
The mom comes across as someone who has tried, but just can't get through to Nicole - like she's so over this shit. She doesn't strike me as negligent or uncaring, just frustrated. Whether she's emotionally stunted or just an asshole, Nicole is an adult, and no one can MAKE her do anything.

• Love 15
20 minutes ago, Sugar said:

With respect, Nicole is 22. Her parents can't do anything. I suspect her mom has tried to get custody of Mae in the past, but Nicole may have threatened to move out of state or completely cut her off if she tried. The family has heavily implied that Nicole doesn't do much parenting; the mom and sister watch Mae most of the time, which is really all they can do (make sure Mae is cared for, since Nicole doesn't listen to anyone).
And given that her siblings look like they turned out just fine, I'm not willing to blame her parents for Nicole's shitty behavior and attitude. Parents can only do so much. My own parents were pretty damn amazing, but that didn't stop me from becoming a drug addict at 14, living on the street and committing petty thefts to get by (that was just me being an asshole).
The mom comes across as someone who has tried, but just can't get through to Nicole - like she's so over this shit. She doesn't strike me as negligent or uncaring, just frustrated. Whether she's emotionally stunted or just an asshole, Nicole is an adult, and no one can MAKE her do anything.

I agree with you, they can't do anything NOW. But they could've 15 years ago, 10 years ago when she was having age-inappropriate tantrums. And maybe they tried.  She's their cross to bear for the rest of all their lives, sadly some families just have that person that makes life unnecessarily harder.  I'm sure Nicole wears that as a badge of honor.

I posted about my brother above, I guess the only thing slightly better about him and my family's situation is that he's not able to spit out kids to emotionally blackmail us with.  

• Love 4

Moroccan food is so delicious, it's just the best.  I don't own a tagine; Dear Santa.  TwirlyGirly, I've had bread baked in a tagine.  Girl, you just can't imagine The Tastiness.

Azan looks terrific in glasses.

Nicole, you totally coached poor little May to call Azan "Daddy" on the entire flight over.  You know it and I know it.

• Love 2
On 10/13/2017 at 2:21 PM, Desert Rat said:

I saw that she graduated from Lakewood Ranch high school. Lakewood Ranch is a really nice upscale community. Nicole was raised with advantages. Wtf happened? 

• Love 3
42 minutes ago, poeticlicensed said:

I saw that she graduated from Lakewood Ranch high school. Lakewood Ranch is a really nice upscale community. Nicole was raised with advantages. Wtf happened? 

Lakewood ranch was carved out if Bradenton when they ran out of room to build upscale homes in Sarasota. It is a very new and noveau riche area. Lots of leftover Bradentuckians still floating around. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 10/14/2017 at 6:49 PM, Desert Rat said:

Stupid Idiot is not included in the DSM-5.

It's been a loooong time since I did anything with coding but I think it would be somewhere in the 310-320 range. 296-305 is mental illness and addictions I believe. Like I said, looooong time. Maybe 10 years.

Also, to the person who posted a photo of their tagine: heh heh, you showed us your tagine.

• Love 6
8 hours ago, bethster2000 said:

Moroccan food is so delicious, it's just the best.  I don't own a tagine; Dear Santa.  TwirlyGirly, I've had bread baked in a tagine.  Girl, you just can't imagine The Tastiness.

<snip>

Yes! And I thought of baking bread in a tagine after I'd already posted. A tagine is very similar to a baking cloche (picture below). I used to have a cloche. Then I broke it. <sad> But, you can bake/cook the same things in a baking cloche as a tagine. (Note: if Santa does bring you a tagine, do a bit of research before you begin using it. Tagines are very sensitive to rapid temperature changes, and crack very easily. A flame-tamer is a must for stovetop cooking, as well as remembering to s-l-o-w-l-y warm it up and cool it down).

One positive aspect of Nicole bringing May with her to Morocco is May will be exposed to a much more diverse flavors/types of food there than what she's (probably) routinely fed by Nicole at home. Nicole is a lost cause in terms of food, but May is still young enough to learn to enjoy a wider variety of things.

2 hours ago, pollywood said:

<snip>

Also, to the person who posted a photo of their tagine: heh heh, you showed us your tagine.

I have no shame. Obviously.

cloche.jpg

Edited by TwirlyGirly
  • Love 3

I took a short trip this past weekend and flew to Virginia. My flight was only 2 hours. My nightmare is to be seated next to Nicole.  The seats are so small, I would be sitting in the aisle. And you know she wouldn't be courteous and buy a second seat for herself. Hopefully she was on a flight where they had rows of two seats, where her ass wouldn't be in someone else's seat. 

• Love 2

It's documented in several place on the internet that the American partner in each twosome was paid something like $7,000 for the whole first season.  Nicole - ratings gold - is probably making more than that now, but i suspect she's not Kate-Gosselin-I-Have-To-Fly-First-Class level.

• Love 2