Type keyword(s) to search

Molly & Luis: My Baby Does the Sanky Panky

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, mamadrama said:

I still don't believe that he is showing signs of being sexually inappropriate with her kids. Like most of us on here, I am also a survivor of sexual abuse. In addition to being molested myself, when I was in the 4th grade I watched my hugely popular and likable male teacher sexually molest half a dozen of our male students right in front of the class. If we back talked him or disgruntled him in any way, he would physically abuse us by smacking us and throwing things at us-like chairs. 

Horrible.  Was that a public school?

48 minutes ago, Lemons said:

Horrible.  Was that a public school?

Yes, 28 years ago. I occasionally keep up with the guy and cyberstalk him to see what he is up to. He went on to become an assistant superintendent of a major county here in our state. Then, last year, he retired and moved to the Atlanta area where he became a principal at an elementary school. I talked to many lawyers over the years about what happened but was basically told that, because the sexual abuse didn't happen to ME, the boys would have to press charges. Some of them went on to become prominent men in their community. They wanted to forget. 

I will move this on to small talk now. :-)

• Love 3
On 11/28/2017 at 11:10 AM, lenny said:

What is it with these women wanting to marry a guy so the guy can raise their kids for them? 

Divorced/widowed men do this all. The. Time. And society seems to encourage them finding ""new moms" for their kids.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, DangerousMinds said:

Divorced/widowed men do this all. The. Time. And society seems to encourage them finding ""new moms" for their kids.

Back in the day, widowers with children often remarried before their wives were cold in the ground.

• Love 10
5 minutes ago, Bubbles1967 said:

I thought they weren’t allowed to get prenups 

This isn't true. If they do have a prenup they might still be required to pay back the government if their spouse requires certain kinds of government assistance during a 10 year period but you can have a prenup as long as it acknowledges the relevant responsibiities that come with the K1.

• Love 5
9 hours ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

Back in the day, widowers with children often remarried before their wives were cold in the ground.

Old song lyrics:

Friday night my wife got sick,

Saturday she was buried.

Sunday was my courting day,

Monday I got married.

• Love 6

I think it's possible for someone like Luis to be sexually inappropriate by crossing physical or conversational boundaries with a minor child, without being an actual pedophile who gets sexual gratification from it. It could be a general form of abuse or control. We don't know enough about him to say for sure what the deal is, but it seems we can all agree he is Not a Nice Person.

• Love 24
3 hours ago, JocelynCavanaugh said:

I think it's possible for someone like Luis to be sexually inappropriate by crossing physical or conversational boundaries with a minor child, without being an actual pedophile who gets sexual gratification from it. It could be a general form of abuse or control. We don't know enough about him to say for sure what the deal is, but it seems we can all agree he is Not a Nice Person.

Beautifully stated.  I’d really love some more  snark about what a bozo Luis is, since we’ve all beat the dead horse about other less savory aspects of his character.  He’s shown himself not to be nice.

• Love 9
5 hours ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

Beautifully stated.  I’d really love some more  snark about what a bozo Luis is, since we’ve all beat the dead horse about other less savory aspects of his character.  He’s shown himself not to be nice.

Yes, above everything else I think Luis is a major jerk. He barely appears to even like Molly and he's come right out and declared that he doesn't like her girls (or at least doesn't like being around them). He's disrespectful to her both to her face and to her brother. I'm actually not a fan of her daughters (I think they're both bratty) but I would be tickled if one of them just absolutely put him in his place. 

• Love 7

I wonder if Luis is really an asshat or TLC is creating drama where there is none. Molly and Luis are quickly realizing that their Real Life Selves and their Vacation Selves are way different. Shit just got real, and the clock is ticking.

I’m sure TLC could turn my sweet, mild mannered husband into a raging arsehole for drama purposes. We love each other and get along.  Nothing to see here. Truth be told, we are about as uncomplicated as it gets, so nobody would watch us.

• Love 4
27 minutes ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

I wonder if Luis is really an asshat or TLC is creating drama where there is none. Molly and Luis are quickly realizing that their Real Life Selves and their Vacation Selves are way different. Shit just got real, and the clock is ticking.

I’m sure TLC could turn my sweet, mild mannered husband into a raging arsehole for drama purposes. We love each other and get along.  Nothing to see here. Truth be told, we are about as uncomplicated as it gets, so nobody would watch us.

I figure that about me, too. I probably have around 5 bad moments every day. If that's all they showed, I'd look like a monster. (Yelling at a scammer on the phone, griping at my husband to take out the garbage, getting hateful with the kids when they won't stop fighting with each other, etc.) There's definitely a narrative they stick to. Still, you'd think that people would be on their best behavior if they knew that a camera was in their face. They can't show what they don't film. 

• Love 10

I wouldn't care if my husband went to a strip club; I would care if he tossed our money around, panted about the hot woman who danced on him, and declared that he "needed" to go. Dude, have some respect for Molly. 

• Love 9

I'll preface this to say I am not one for strippers, so if Luis did the 'come home late without care or remorse & hey baby make me something to eat the next morning' thing, I would be saying: 'Sure, fine baby" - then his breakfast would be shoved in his smugly damn face & his ass on the lawn with a one way ticket back to the DR.

I find everything about this prick is detestable.

• Love 16
19 minutes ago, gonecrackers said:

I'll preface this to say I am not one for strippers, so if Luis did the 'come home late without care or remorse & hey baby make me something to eat the next morning' thing, I would be saying: 'Sure, fine baby" - then his breakfast would be shoved in his smugly damn face & his ass on the lawn with a one way ticket back to the DR.

I find everything about this prick is detestable.

I am very anti-Luis and anti-strip clubs, for both men and women.  But, if Molly was giving him his "night off" to go to a strip club for his bachelor party, I think it was kind of unreasonable to expect he would be home by 10:00 PM (even if that is what he promised).      

• Love 8
21 minutes ago, Bryce Lynch said:

I am very anti-Luis and anti-strip clubs, for both men and women.  But, if Molly was giving him his "night off" to go to a strip club for his bachelor party, I think it was kind of unreasonable to expect he would be home by 10:00 PM (even if that is what he promised).      

Luis seemed to be the one describing it as a 'night off', & Molly was under the impression they were both to be home by 10pm to do some wedding planning together (weird, but whatever). Molly is an ass. But Luis says his relationship is 'off' for that night (which to me means no boundaries), then she calls to check on him & he gets angry, calls her crazy, hangs up on her, & declares his manhood in the relationship. Next morning - no remorse, but make me breakfast... super prick.

Edited by gonecrackers
  • Love 10
3 minutes ago, gonecrackers said:

Luis seemed to be the one describing it as a 'night off', & Molly was under the impression they were both to be home by 10pm to do some wedding planning together (weird, but whatever). Molly is an ass. But Luis says his relationship is 'off' for that night (which to me means no boundaries), then she calls to check on him & he gets angry, calls her crazy, hangs up on her, & declares his manhood in the relationship. Next morning - no remorse, but make me breakfast... super prick.

I agree that Luis is a prick.  But, though I would never go to a strip club, I laughed at the idea that Molly actually thought he would be back by 10:00 PM.  

• Love 4
3 minutes ago, Bryce Lynch said:

I agree that Luis is a prick.  But, though I would never go to a strip club, I laughed at the idea that Molly actually thought he would be back by 10:00 PM.  

I still marvel at how a smart businesswoman can be so incredibly stupid in her personal life.

• Love 17
5 minutes ago, Bryce Lynch said:

That's one way to assure that only the "day shift" strippers are working.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
17 minutes ago, gonecrackers said:

I still marvel at how a smart businesswoman can be so incredibly stupid in her personal life.

I'm not so sure any of this is real though. It all seems so off the wall that it has to be scripted. Molly was on a reality show about her business and came off looking very good IIRC. She does a service that is very needed by large busted ladies, and she and her partner, IIRC, did a lovely job dealing with their customers. I have a feeling that what's going on here is she got a taste of reality famewhore D Lister life and wanted more, so she made up this bullshit with this guy she met in DR. There is no way a sane mother would look at his interactions with her young daughter and still marry the dude. I think the whole thing is fake ass fake. And if it's not, she deserves to have someone call CPS on her because leaving an asshole like Luis to taunt and torment your young kid when you're at work is beyond fucked up.

• Love 13
15 minutes ago, gingerella said:

I'm not so sure any of this is real though. It all seems so off the wall that it has to be scripted. Molly was on a reality show about her business and came off looking very good IIRC. She does a service that is very needed by large busted ladies, and she and her partner, IIRC, did a lovely job dealing with their customers. I have a feeling that what's going on here is she got a taste of reality famewhore D Lister life and wanted more, so she made up this bullshit with this guy she met in DR. There is no way a sane mother would look at his interactions with her young daughter and still marry the dude. I think the whole thing is fake ass fake. And if it's not, she deserves to have someone call CPS on her because leaving an asshole like Luis to taunt and torment your young kid when you're at work is beyond fucked up.

Well there's this... https://www.inquisitr.com/4620068/90-day-fiance-spoilers-are-molly-and-luis-married-court-documents-reveal-more-than-her-shady-past/

Then there this... https://www.monstersandcritics.com/smallscreen/did-mollys-partner-luis-just-reveal-hes-already-married-on-90-day-fiance/

It's gossipy, so maybe someone has better info.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, gonecrackers said:

I thought Molly wasn't married to either of her daughter's dads?

From one of these links:

20171205_161304.png

• Love 1
On 12/5/2017 at 4:14 PM, ChiCricket said:

I thought Molly wasn't married to either of her daughter's dads?

From one of these links:

20171205_161304.png

It's my understanding that if they had been legally married (as opposed to just calling themselves husband/wife), there wouldn't be a need for him to file for legal recognition as Kensley's father. It would be automatic as her spouse. So, maybe they wrote divorce when they really meant separation.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, ArcticWolfRS said:

It's my understanding that if they had been legally married (as opposed to just calling themselves husband/wife), there wouldn't be a need for him to file for legal recognition as Kensley's father. It would be automatic as her spouse. So, maybe they wrote divorce when they really meant separation.

If it was a common law marriage and the state of Georgia recognizes common law marriages, then they have to get a divorce,  No such thing as a common law diivorce. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
8 hours ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

If it was a common law marriage and the state of Georgia recognizes common law marriages, then they have to get a divorce,  No such thing as a common law diivorce. 

Only if the couple established a common law marriage in another state:

"Current Georgia law does not recognize common law marriage. However, O.C.G.A. § 19-3-1.1does recognize common law marriages that were legal in other states, as well as common law marriages that were established in Georgia prior to January 1, 1997. If a common law marriage from another state does exist, then it can only be dissolved through a formal divorce. All of the issues that are involved in a regular divorce also are involved in a divorce stemming from a common law marriage. These issues might include child custody, visitation, property division, and alimony, among others."

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

Since I'm playing devil's advocate today, I want to discuss Luis.

I think he acts highly immature for his age. He kind of acts like a teenager. The way he was playing with Kinsley during the ice cream outing was exactly like I've seen some teen boys play with kids. He was laughing and trying to get her to knock her chair against the wall because it's "bad" but not bad enough to cause a major issue. Teenage boys are notorious for that kind of mischievous play. Kinsley was enjoying the banter until Molly said no and then she and Luis both stopped the playing. Luis is like another teenager in the house. More like a big brother than a father. How could she ever think of him as a father? I think he is very far behind in his maturity level. I don't think he knows any better. Which, incidentally is not at all sexy (or should not be) for a forty year old woman. What's the attraction? 

He acted like a kid in the strip club as well. Notice brother Molly didn't act like he'd never seen a woman before but Luis was excited like a 15 yr old who had never seen a woman and then threw a fit when Molly wanted him home. Just a kid figuring out what he can get away with. He's just so child-like.

But the woman needed a slave so she found a man she could boss around. Molly is in the position of power here. This is so bad on so many levels. Why isn't she taking him out and trying to connect with him? Treat him like a man instead of the house boy, and maybe he'd behave. But I doubt it because he's still mentally a child. Good catch, Molly. You idiot. 

• Love 11
11 hours ago, Nowhere said:

Since I'm playing devil's advocate today, I want to discuss Luis.

I think he acts highly immature for his age. He kind of acts like a teenager. The way he was playing with Kinsley during the ice cream outing was exactly like I've seen some teen boys play with kids. He was laughing and trying to get her to knock her chair against the wall because it's "bad" but not bad enough to cause a major issue. Teenage boys are notorious for that kind of mischievous play. Kinsley was enjoying the banter until Molly said no and then she and Luis both stopped the playing. Luis is like another teenager in the house. More like a big brother than a father. How could she ever think of him as a father? I think he is very far behind in his maturity level. I don't think he knows any better. Which, incidentally is not at all sexy (or should not be) for a forty year old woman. What's the attraction? 

He acted like a kid in the strip club as well. Notice brother Molly didn't act like he'd never seen a woman before but Luis was excited like a 15 yr old who had never seen a woman and then threw a fit when Molly wanted him home. Just a kid figuring out what he can get away with. He's just so child-like.

But the woman needed a slave so she found a man she could boss around. Molly is in the position of power here. This is so bad on so many levels. Why isn't she taking him out and trying to connect with him? Treat him like a man instead of the house boy, and maybe he'd behave. But I doubt it because he's still mentally a child. Good catch, Molly. You idiot. 

I agree with much of what you said--Luis is immature, certainly. Molly is deluded by lust and the idea of marriage. She is trying to force relationships where they should grow naturally between Luis and her kids.

However, I don't think she wanted a "slave," necessarily.  When Luis and Uncle were playing pool downstairs (the inappropriate talk), Molly was upstairs doing dishes after work. I thought, "Why the hell is Molly doing dishes when Luis, Uncle whats- his -name and Olivia are downstairs playing pool? She just got home from working all day!" Luis should be helping with chores as a member of the household, imo. If he is bored, it is on him.

Also, Molly cannot be in a position of power over Luis unless she has something he wants. If he is so unhappy, go back to the DR.

• Love 6

Correct me if this viewpont is off, but why couldnt Molly hand Kensley a napkin and tell her to clean herself up ? She is 6, not 2 ! I think that Luis was incredibly ticked off by the bratty behavior he saw from her, and was saying how Molly should teach her to be a more independent child. 

• Love 6
4 hours ago, Lily247 said:

Correct me if this viewpont is off, but why couldnt Molly hand Kensley a napkin and tell her to clean herself up ? She is 6, not 2 ! 

Exactly! Molly first asked if "anyone had a napkin" but Luis was on his phone and oblivious to the whole problem. Meanwhile Kensley just sat there scowling with her lap covered in ice cream and Molly sat on her ass and said, "Hel-loooo! Luis!" and when she finally got his attention, she basically ordered him to be the Cleanup Police  because that was what a father would do. I've noticed she often plays the "she's LITTLE!" card when she refers to Kensley. 

Edited by magemaud
  • Love 9

A lot of this is so scripted, and many partners, be they the overseas partners or their petitioners are cast as villains, losers, or deadbeats~ some deservedly so. 

For those aspiring to act or model or promote their music, or those who own a reputable and much loved business (looking at you, Molly); why would they want the sort of crappy publicity that gets you eviscerated on social media to tarnish how people perceive them?

Gene Simmons of KISS famously quoted that ‘there really is no such thing as bad publicity’, and the band is still much loved  (even by those who aren’t fans of their music)) after more than 40 years.  Their schtick worked for them.  Donald Trump also seems to believe this on some level, and regardless of what any of us thinks of him, it got him what he wanted.  They both starred in their own reality shows long after they “made it” and had FAR more creative control over their image, perception, and show content than most of the cast of characters that went on their shows.  The same can’t be said for most of these barrel scrapings that come on 90DF, who have very little to NO agency over their image or reputation.  Even if they did it for a lark, they must deal with being ripped to shreds on SM and Reddit, embarrassed to show their faces or unable to find meaningful employment after being made to behave like a douche on camera.  Certainly Evelyn wasn’t portrayed as she would have wished.  Her purity story sticks, but her image as a nice person is shot, if that’s who she really is.

By the same token, Luis is being portrayed as a disinterested and reluctant stepfather to be, as well as an idle douche bag.  If he REALLY was like that, would  someone like Molly give him the time of day?  She’s got a lot going for her and is attractive and ‘with it’ unlike Danielle who got played by Mohammed who had nothing at all going for her.

Edited by Arwen Evenstar
  • Love 6

I am not a mental health professional, nor do I know any personally.

With this large caveat out of the way, I'll put it out there that I believe Luis is showing signs of mental illness.

He went from "wow toilets and electricity" to:

"You have the period, everything you say is crazy right now. Almost 90% is lie, incomprehensible. Here I just saw Buddha, I see every sh!t on the living room down, never see one Bible here. I never one something about god here, hmmmm? You know witchcraft? You understand that or you wanna understand. The hell say and the demons every time with angels the diamond is mean nothing. It's art! Why she have a lot of Buddha here, a lot of things with candles? The bird, why? That is something bad here? There is only two things, it's god or it's demon. The people have to understand that."

"Answer this question, just this one. Why you have a lot of Buddha and why you don't have anything that mean you save you spirit about god here?" Molly, exasperated, shows him some crosses and tells him she does have bibles. But the continues to prattle non sequiturs: "I never see anything about god, why? You have every demon about the house."

She points out his sins, he grins, unnervingly relaxed, and tells her "I like these things, very much."

Molly screeches "I'm losing my mind" - no dear, you are dealing with a mentally ill individual. He smiles. "Finished? Are you finished?"

She had found him on top of the bed sprawled out like an unruly teen. His affect is completely abnormal the entire time. And that the end, he sticks his tongue out, and he laughs so casually as to sound demented. Molly can make excuses because of his upbringing - but I don't have to. He's probably going to get worse.

Deep down Molly probably realizes that she made a colossal mistake, but, sunk costs. She put her story on TV, applied for his visa, prepped her kids a bit, his family is coming, a wedding is planned. Backing out is too overwhelming.

I predict this will be the shortest marriage on the show. "Like, I'm not here to take care of YOU. 'Make me a sandwich, make me some chicken, I don't like that chicken, I don't like this barber, that barber...'" that's going to get old fast, especially given that she is expecting Luis to take care of her, her kids, call her beautiful, etc.

• Love 9
23 minutes ago, Toaster Strudel said:

I am not a mental health professional, nor do I know any personally.

With this large caveat out of the way, I'll put it out there that I believe Luis is showing signs of mental illness.

Being a fucking selfish dick is not a mental illness.  It's not in the DSM-5.  

Edited by Desert Rat
  • LOL 1
  • Love 12
3 hours ago, Toaster Strudel said:

"You have the period, everything you say is crazy right now. Almost 90% is lie, incomprehensible. Here I just saw Buddha, I see every sh!t on the living room down, never see one Bible here. I never one something about god here, hmmmm? You know witchcraft? You understand that or you wanna understand. The hell say and the demons every time with angels the diamond is mean nothing. It's art! Why she have a lot of Buddha here, a lot of things with candles? The bird, why? That is something bad here? There is only two things, it's god or it's demon. The people have to understand that."

I feel the need to defend Luis a bit here.

To you an I, Luis' babbling about the tchotchkes scattered around Molly's house may seem a bit...deranged. But for someone born and raised in the Caribbean, those tchotchkes can represent something entirely different.

There are several voodoo religions practiced in the Caribbean. Santeria, Dominican Vodou and Congos Del Espiritu Santo are the three most popular forms of what we call "witchcraft" practiced in the Dominican Republic, but there are others. Unlike the United States, in the Caribbean these voodoo religions are so widely practiced just about everyone either knows of, or is related to, someone who practices one of them.

My ex-husband is Puerto Rican. He was born in Puerto Rico, the youngest of eleven children. His family moved to the US when he was just a few months old. But all his other brothers and sisters spent years living in Puerto Rico before the family relocated, and therefore had plenty of time to be affected by the culture as it related to these voodoo religions. Thus, even though my ex wasn't raised in Puerto Rico, he still learned about the voodoo religions growing up. As an adult, living in the US, one of his sisters became involved in Santeria. For awhile, after she lost her job, she lived with us and brought her beliefs along with her. At first, being an American and all, I privately laughed off all her talk about spirits and idols and stuff. But my husband's reaction was totally unexpected. He totally flipped out, to such a degree he actually became scared to enter our apartment. At that point, I had to kick SIL to the curb. (Not only that, after she left I had to have our apartment fumigated. She had a pile of fresh fruit covered with honey on a tray in her room to "feed the spirits of the dead". The cockroaches loved it).

My point is, to us a ceramic owl sitting on a table is just something we think adds to the décor and that we need to remember to dust. But to someone raised in a culture in which the practice of witchcraft is very common, that owl can take on an entirely different meaning. Saying "It's just an owl!" does not change beliefs ingrained over a lifetime. These voodoo religions are very frightening to those raised in the countries that practice them. It's serious stuff. In the Caribbean, filling one's home with crucifixes and statues of Mary and Jesus is just as much about warding off the "evil spirits" those that practice these religions engage with as it is about showing one's devotion to the Christian God.

That is what Luis' rant was all about.

• Love 9
12 minutes ago, TwirlyGirly said:

That is what Luis' rant was all about.

Louis's rant was all about riling up Molly as evidence by his smirk and laughter. He has been there for three months and never once brought up religion and as Molly listed all tne crap he does showing that he is not religious.

• Love 24
52 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

Louis's rant was all about riling up Molly as evidence by his smirk and laughter. He has been there for three months and never once brought up religion and as Molly listed all tne crap he does showing that he is not religious.

My ex wasn't the least bit religious, either. But anything he thought had to do with the voodoo stuff completely freaked him out. I didn't understand it either, until after doing quite a bit of research (by necessity), it finally sunk in why he was reacting the way he was. It's difficult for us to fathom, and it appears as if Luis is being hypocritical, but this stuff is a huge part of the culture, and very deeply ingrained. It doesn't make sense to us. It doesn't have to. Now, because my ex was raised in the US, his command of the English language was far better than Luis', so he was able to express himself and his feelings about this much better than Luis. But I absolutely understood where Luis was coming from, despite his inability to express it in a way Molly was able to understand.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, biakbiak said:

Haven't watched the episode yet, but have read the thread on the main 90-Day Fiance page.  There is talk that Luis says he is pentecostal, and references that nothing in Molly's house indicates the need to be saved.

Pentecostals are extremely anti-porn, stripper clubs, etc.  (Yes, I remember Jimmy Swaggart.)  But you can't scream "Pentecostal, Jesus saves" one moment while defending your addiction to porn, etc., the next.  

I don't think he's mentally ill.  I think he's just nasty . . . and a frequent user of weed.  I have said from Week 1 of this season that his "Hey, American lady . . . I gonna marry you" was his standard bait for fishing for big tips.  Then when Molly (maybe believing it, maybe not) came up with the idea of getting on 90DF, he figured it would be a good way to get to the USA cheap.  

I think we should start a pool of how long it takes before he's back at his bar in DR, tossing out bait again.

• Love 12

The juxtaposition of his extraordinarily inappropriate affect (the laughter and sticking his tongue out at the end was too much), the incongruity of his choice of counter-argument (completely unrelated to the matter being discussed), and the fact that this paranoid witchcraft/god/demons mythology is something that appeals to him as being true, to me is evidence of unhealthy, disordered thinking. He reminds me a bit of a couple of schizophrenics I've known. One was obsessed with Noam Chomsky, of all things. You could be talking about the weather, he'd start with his Chomsky conspiracy theories. You'd try to herd him back to the topic of weather, and he'd reply with more Chomsky paranoia-flavored ideas. He had a single affect: 'excitable' - that also reminds me of Luis' one affect, 'baked and IDGAF.' Maybe I'm putting too much weight on the similarities he has with these people I knew.

Even his response to the question "before or after the marriage?" - "YES!" - he is not a sane person. If someone had a conversation like this with me, every alarm bell would ring in my head  That is all I would need to hear to know 'not even dating material.' He's very off-putting.

If I think about all of his behaviors, from his first interaction in the DR telling her he'll marry her, to telling her to her face he wants her kids shipped off to their dads, everything he does and says is dissonant, disjointed, and disturbing.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, biakbiak said:

He has been there for three months and never once brought up religion

Did Molly say this?  Do we know this?   It's possible he saw Satan and witchcraft around every corner.  That's how he was raised and it's a difficult thing to change.  Also, if he's doing all the things that are verboten (strippers, drinking, drugs), he probably has guilty feelings deeply mixed in with his bravado.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, TwirlyGirly said:

My point is, to us a ceramic owl sitting on a table is just something we think adds to the décor and that we need to remember to dust. But to someone raised in a culture in which the practice of witchcraft is very common, that owl can take on an entirely different meaning. Saying "It's just an owl!" does not change beliefs ingrained over a lifetime. These voodoo religions are very frightening to those raised in the countries that practice them. It's serious stuff. In the Caribbean, filling one's home with crucifixes and statues of Mary and Jesus is just as much about warding off the "evil spirits" those that practice these religions engage with as it is about showing one's devotion to the Christian God.

Excellent and informative post, TwirlyGirl.  I hope everyone reads the entire thing.

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, Former Nun said:

Did Molly say this?  Do we know this?   It's possible he saw Satan and witchcraft around every corner.  That's how he was raised and it's a difficult thing to change.  Also, if he's doing all the things that are verboten (strippers, drinking, drugs), he probably has guilty feelings deeply mixed in with his bravado.

Yes, Molly said that and he did not disagree.

• Love 3