Type keyword(s) to search

S25.E06: Week 5: Disney Night

• Start Topic

I think Drew wins the most improvement game. He's not going to win, but his improvement from week one until now has been considerable. That's a DWTS win, I think.

I laugh every week that former contestant corner is right behind Tom. Did I spy Nancy Kerrigan, Alfonso, Joey Lawrence ... did I miss anyone?

Despite using a song from the ill-advised fourth Pirates movie, I liked this one better than Riker and Allison's Pirates Paso from seasons ago. I don't know what Frankie does, but he's really good at getting into and selling his dances. 

Nikki's dance was fun and I'm excited about the idea of a Mexican princess (well she be a proper Disney princess? Probably not), but I'm not sure that song really made me think "oh, I have to watch that!!". We'll see.

Frankie and Witney in jeopardy? Hmmm. Not sure I buy that. But of the two, Sasha was saddled with an iffy pro and a forgettable role. She's classy about it, though.

• Love 11

I'll admit I'm a total Disney lover and tonight really is just fun. The people who get the more unknown (or not even released!) songs get screwed though. 

That had to be Keo's easiest dance ever- sit here on this throne!

Sasha seemed sweet but still not that sad to see her go. Her rumba seemed odd in that all her moments seemed half done. 

Kermit and his little 10 paddle cracked me up. 

• Love 5

God, as soon as Frankie/Witney were named the second couple in danger, I pretty much teared up and almost had to walk out of the room. I got worried so, so quickly that they'd be gone. I just thought that this was going to be the surprise elimination that I'd hate. 

Sasha/Gleb wasn't ideal either, but I'm also ok with it. She was next after Nick on my to-go list. I guess those boy band fans are keeping Nick in the competition. 

Frankie/Witney's dance was phenomenal. Unfortunately, my TV decided to reboot its box right before the scores were announced, so I'll have to watch that moment on Youtube.

Lindsey/Mark's dance was pretty damn good too. I thought it was gorgeous, but how did she only get one 10?

I knew that Jordan/Lindsay were getting a perfect score once Frankie got the 29. I knew they didn't want to have the highest score be a 29. Not that it wasn't good, but I'm starting to see similar issues that I had with Normani's dances. Just swap the props and backup dancers constantly in Normani's dances for the first half with Jordan/Lindsay doing the same moves in each dance. They started off this dance like some of their others (back to each other, twirl toward each other, hands go up in the air, etc). All I could think was "I've seen these two start this way before." So, beautiful dance, but I already knew what was coming. Also, like Normani, I was annoyed that Jordan got to dance to his own song. Like...he's already a good dancer. He doesn't need the special features! 

Nikki's dance was fun. I knew very little about Coco and I'm not jumping up to see it, but I'm all for new POC princesses.

Nick/Peta's dance was ok. I thought it deserved what it got, though I wouldn't have complained for one more 8. 

I missed Drew/Emma's dance completely, but caught the Kermit with the little Disney 10. That was cute.

I also missed Terrell/Cheryl's dance, though part of me is afraid to go searching for it. Not because of the dance, of course, but because I don't think I can bear listening to the band butcher my favourite Disney song ever. You just don't butcher The Lion King. How badly did they butcher it?

I thought Vanessa/Maks' dance was good, but I LOL'd when Nick's dance ended and the shot cut to a lonely Vanessa. I guess Maks took off. 

Overall, I just have to hope that Frankie/Witney get high scores and get to the finals. I simply don't think I can bear them being a surprise elimination. But, unfortunately, I'm afraid that they don't have the votes because others might have bigger fanbases. 

• Love 4

Frankie was massively over scored tonight, and now I know why. He's not getting the votes because one week he's good, the next he's awful and he doesn't have the Chicago Cubs voting sight unseen..  There wasn't one lift in that Argentine Tango, and he couldn't match Witney on the engauchos, so the  best he can hope for is doing his "acting" Valentino Pirate, it was a lot of emoting for a 10.

• Love 1

Yeah, not buying Frankie as bottom 2.  That was to give his fans a kick in the pants.  I could see his votes not being amazing last week just because he went first and got buried under a bunch of other sob stories, but I doubt he was real bottom 2.

We are definitely in the overscoring portion of the season.  Nothing about Victoria's dance was 9's worthy.  She seems to be getting a pass for things that they have no problem calling Nick out on his dances.  They can tell Nick he's out of sync but ignore it when it's Victoria and pretend she's one of the contenders from a dance perspective. She might make it to the end, but not because she's a great dancer.

Not sure who I think is winning.  I see Frankie and Jordan standing at the end.  Frankie is more of the ideal DWTS contestant.  I don't know if I think Jordan or Lindsey S. pull more votes.

Jordan is fabulous, even if he's a ringer.  Lindsey did great.  Frankie is the sort of DWTS contestant folks eat up--surprises people every week through performances, non ringer, super into it, etc.  Drew and TO are both much improved.  

Nick isn't great but I kind of want the judges to lay off him some. He's not that much worse than some people they overly praise (coughVictoriacough).

Edited by spanana
  • Love 10

Tonight was all kinds of fun...and Terrell and Drew really kicked it up a notch....I knew Gleb was going to sex up Sasha..and I firmly believe Sasha would have gone further had she had a different partner....

I do not buy for a moment that Frankie was in the bottom 2 or"jeopardy"..or whatever....

I just enjoyed this night....Also, I must protest the lack of banjo in the arrangement of "Rainbow Connection"...that was the BIGGEST crime against music tonight....

Edited by stonehaven
  • Love 6

Disney Night is my absolute favorite theme. The Mickey Mouse Club red room was too freaking cute. The set designers really deserve awards. It’s crazy how intricate they’ve gotten and to break them down and build them up within minutes is a crazy hard task. Kudos to them.

Victoria and Val: I thought this was just adorable! I’m generally not a fan of Val’s choreography but I think he did really well here. Victoria doesn’t stand out at all to me though and I guess that’s both good and bad. 

Vanessa and Maks: Quite boring for my tastes but it was beautiful. Beautifully danced and flowed smoothly from beginning to end. Typical dry Maks choreography.

Lindsey and Mark: Len must be on the verge of orgasm at this point. All these slow paced pure ballroom routines. Again this was beautifully danced and it was nice to see another side of Lindsey. She has gorgeous lines and really is a good dancer. Mark did a wonderful job here.

Nick and PETA: Idk, I don’t really have anything to say about this routine either way.

Drew and Emma: I went to get food so I missed it.

Sasha and Gleb: I was eating but it looked nice from what I saw. I feel like Sasha should be doing better at this point. Gleb needs to push her.

Cheryl and Terrell: Okay this one put a serious smile on my face. One of my favorite Disney songs and can we give it up for the set designers? They’ve been great tonight and I loved this one in particular so much. One thing I’ll say about Cheryl is she has always been a good teacher and it’s obvious here. Terrell has improved so much and this was his best dance for sure.

The High School Musical dance break was amazing.

Frankie and Witney: Wow. I’ll say it again, Witney has completely gotten her groove back when it comes to choreography. Argentine Tango is my favorite dance and this is another one to add to the list. I LOVED IT!! Pirates of the Caribbean really seems to lend itself to some great routines. Riker and Allison’s Pirates of the Caribbean Paso is among my favorite routines of all time.

Jordan and Lindsay: This partnership is just perfection. They have great chemistry, clearly really enjoy each other, are perfectly in sync...I enjoy them SO much. My favorite partnership in years. I’m so happy for Lindsay. It’s finally her time.

Nikki and Artem: I liked the theatrics and it was a very fun and entertaining routine. The actual dance was lacking to me though.

I really wanted more out of Sasha and know she's capable. I really blame Gleb. People bash Keo relentlessly but Gleb has had WAY better partners and has never done anything noteworthy with them. He’s still hot though.

• Love 7

Jordan and Lindsay, despite the embellishments had a lot of great Foxtrot in hold,  I saw feather steps, over sway,  tellemark, pivot, he's really taking the notes and learning the dance.  But Lindsay also made sure it was entertaining.  I liked that it was more American Smooth where the partners can dance side by side. 

• Love 8
17 minutes ago, McManda said:

Frankie and Witney in jeopardy? Hmmm. Not sure I buy that.

I didn't buy that for a second and Witney was not here for their "in jeopardy" shenanigans one bit. Girl looked ready to stab someone. Her whole demeanor and energy this season makes it clear that she believes she has a contender so she was not expecting that. Frankly, the conspiracy theorist in me thinks there was some shenanigan at the last second because they took a REALLY LONG time announcing the second couple in jeopardy. Something about that raised my suspicions. 

That said, faux jeopardy or not, I actually came in to post that I think Frankie might just take this whole thing. That's my bold prediction. I think the season will come down to him, Jordan and Lindsey. And while Mark is delivering some beautiful choreography this season (that Foxtrot was just stunning tonight), I'm not sure that people are connecting with her enough for her to win. Which of course, will suck once again for Mark. People love Lindsay and I know Jordan has fans but there's the whole ringer aspect with him. Meanwhile, Frankie is right up the alley for many casual viewers. The ones who always insist how the show was supposed to about people with no dance experience, the ones who love the "journey". He's humble, good natured, works hard and is a good dancer. That's a winning combination on this show. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 16

Week 5 - the halfway point already! Time flies!

Victoria:  Cute performance but...jazz?  I hope the "judges" are as effusive with praise with the others who actually had to learn technique.  It annoys me when one or two couples get a freebie style while everyone else has to learn a ballroom or latin dance.  I wish they would put all the jazz/contemporary/etc. into one week.  Scores were generous for something that seemed to have very little substance.

Vanessa:  She's really having some balance problems tonight and looking very stiff.  There was a moment when she looked like she forgot her steps.  She seemed very tense in front of the judges.  Scores were a little high.

Lindsey:  Sweet.  I've seen a lot of speculation on twitter about what Mark would do but it was nice he kept it classic.  Nice that Len gave a little love this week after that ridiculous 8 last week.

Nick:  He was cutting his moves short here and there and seemed tentative at times.  Maybe a little under-rehearsed?  No mention of a break in hold in the middle.  Scores were a point high.

Drew:  Very beautiful.  He's really improved so much since the beginning.  He looked completely in control of his limbs.  I'm not so sure I agree with Bruno that Drew is leading - during the fast turning sequence, Emma was obviously leading that.  But otherwise, great job. 

Kermit:  the first guest judge I've liked over all seasons!

Sasha:  Hmmmm I'm a little disappointed. She was looking so good with her rumba walks on Gleb's IG stories but it just didn't show in her dance. Zero hip action.  None of the fluid steps. What happened?  Scores are ok for no major errors.  But it did take a long time to get started.

Terrell:  Distraction! What was with all the distraction? Between troupers jumping out and trees moving and lights flashing into the camera at the end, I really missed what he did.  Cheryl didn't seem amused when he kissed her on the head while the judges were talking.  Is something not going well between these two?

Frankie: Umm... who is Witney to tell Frankie that he's not sexy. He is to some, maybe not to others.  I'm sure she wouldn't like being told she's not too bright, especially on camera.  She's developed this attitude of superiority  that is not attractive.  About the dance, Frankie did very well - maybe his best so far - and he had a lot of content.  Not so sure that was worthy of a near perfect score, but it was very good.

Jordan:  No Disneyish outfit? Just a simple shirt and pants?  Seemed like a lot of overdancing by Lindsay.  Len forgives the hip-hoppy section in the middle?  Funny how he penalizes some and praises (forgives?) others.  The inconsistency drives me nuts.  If Lindsey gets one 10 and Frankie gets two 10s, it was obvious Jordan would get three 10s. 

Nikki:  I know this was a "jazz" but the choreography had me very confused.  It was just a lot of movement and not very graceful movement from Nikki - and at least 2 stumbles.  Overscored.

Sorry to see Sasha go.  There's a few others I would have rather left before her.  Witney sure wasn't expecting to be put in jeopardy.  I expect Frankie's fans might have needed a little prompting as to the importance of voting for him.

Let's see...  wk6- we'll go from 9 couples to 8

wk7-from 8 to 7

wk8-from 7 to 6

wk9-from 6 to 5

wk10 5 couples for the finale?  There's got to be a double elimination at some point, maybe two depending on how many they want in the finals.

Edited by Uke
  • Love 4
13 minutes ago, Andie1 said:

Frankie was massively over scored tonight, and now I know why. He's not getting the votes because one week he's good, the next he's awful and he doesn't have the Chicago Cubs voting sight unseen..  There wasn't one lift in that Argentine Tango, and he couldn't match Witney on the engauchos, so the  best he can hope for is doing his "acting" Valentino Pirate, it was a lot of emoting for a 10.

Of course Frankie isn't going to do a lot of lifts.  He's short and basically the same height as Witney so they aren't going to look good in the first place and on top of that he has really bad back problems.  He broke his back in his racing days.  Witney isn't going to risk the rest of his DWTS season and his health over an unnecessary lift in one dance.

I also don't think he's necessarily not getting the votes. I think TPTB want to make sure he's in that finals and are starting the process to make sure he gets there.  I don't necessarily think he's the top vote getter either but I think that was more about waking people up and not because he is in imminent danger in the next few weeks.

I agree with one of the posters above that I could see Jordan and Frankie as the last two standing with maybe Lindsey in third.  Victoria maybe if they amp up her sob story even more.  I also think Drew could be a wildcard.  I have a suspicion he's more popular than people think plus his improvement arc.

Edited by spanana
  • Love 15
6 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

I also missed Terrell/Cheryl's dance, though part of me is afraid to go searching for it. Not because of the dance, of course, but because I don't think I can bear listening to the band butcher my favourite Disney song ever. You just don't butcher The Lion King. How badly did they butcher it?

They butchered it pretty badly.  I still don't understand why they just don't use the originals. It's DISNEY!!

• Love 6
1 minute ago, spanana said:

Of course Frankie isn't going to do a lot of lifts

He didn't do any. On this show even way back in the early days Argentine Tango has at least one lift to highlight the dance. Surely Witney can do an assisted lift with little taxing on the back.  Tonight he gets a 29 for that?  That was way too much for too little dance content, because if you're going to do engauchos all the way through, then make them memorable. He could hardly keep up.  So now he gets a very generous overscore and a bottom 2 bump. They must really want him to stick around.

• Love 1

Loved this show and I hope DWTS reads these comments. Tonight was SO much better than the MMY (last week). JMO.

My picks for the finals: Lindsey, Jordan, Frankie and Drew. Simply because I enjoy their energy and lack of drama for the most part. Their dances are the ones I watch over again. Nikki is the wild card (and who doesn't enjoy Artem!) and might force Frankie or Drew out of the finals. Again, JMO.

I used to be a huge Maks fan... I seem to have lost my enthusiasm for him. He's just not the old Maks anymore!

• Love 5

With Frankie in the bottom two I was afraid we'd be in for a "surprise" elimination and was about ready to throw my remote at the TV if that had happened.

That said, it's a shame Sasha went tonight, 'cause I think this dance was probably her best one thus far. It was really cute and sweet.

On the note of Frankie, though....daaaaaamn. That whole dance was awesome. I love how into it he got. Wish he'd gotten a full 30 for that, but two 10s is certainly worth celebrating!

Also really liked Victoria, Vanessa, Lindsey, and Nikki's dances in particular, too. They were beautiful and fun and lively and magical. Everyone did pretty well overall tonight, though, really. Disney night always brings out the fun side of the contestants :D.

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, Andie1 said:

On this show even way back in the early days Argentine Tango has at least one lift to highlight the dance.

Is this a rule or a personal opinion? Because I'm pretty sure other Argentine tangos have had no lifts without penalty.

Edited by McManda
  • Love 7
Just now, Andie1 said:

He didn't do any. On this show even way back in the early days Argentine Tango has at least one lift to highlight the dance. Surely Witney can do an assisted lift with little taxing on the back.  Tonight he gets a 29 for that?  That was way too much for too little dance content, because if you're going to do engauchos all the way through, then make them memorable. He could hardly keep up.  So now he gets a very generous overscore and a bottom 2 bump. They must really want him to stick around.

I'll agree to disagree.  I don't think he was perfect and I can see people thinking he was a bit overscored, but I don't think it's necessary to put a lift in an AT if it potentially is going to be a risk to the celeb in question and adds nothing to the dance.  I'd rather pros nix a lift if it's going to be badly done then do a bunch of sloppy ones.

• Love 6

Watching Sasha and Gleb tonight, I noticed how little of the floor they actually use.  She spins and sways, slides and sways, smiles and sways.  And most of her dances have been this way, so it's no surprise to me that she's gone already.   

Frankie, Jordan, and Drew make me smile.  I don't give a fig about any of the rest...well, Terrell is fine.  I can't connect with Lindsey at all, nor any of the women this year.

• Love 1

wk10 5 couples for the finale?  There's got to be a double elimination at some point, maybe two depending on how many they want in the finals.

There will be: in light of the Las Vegas shooting the night before no one was eliminated that night and a double elimination would happen (though I was under the impression it would be the following week.) 

1 minute ago, Andie1 said:

Well, he's very popular this season, from the looks of it. Of course they want him to stick around. Personally, I don't think an Argentino Tango needs to rely on a lift to be great. I appreciate that Witney didn't force a lift that Frankie most likely couldn't do, or would have lowered their score. I mean, I think back to last season's David doing a lift with Lindsay, a lift he clearly had trouble with, and it affected his scores because it was noticeable. 

I actually looked up the general requirements for an Argentine Tango for my own personal curiosity, and I didn't see anything about a lift needing to be part of it. Witney incorporated the other elements into his dance and, for me, Frankie delivered. Was he overscored? Perhaps. But the show tends to overscore, or underscore, to get their narrative for the week. For me, I personally thought Jordan and Lindsay were overscored by a point or two, but I knew what was happening there. And I think Frankie still made his dance enjoyable to watch, which is important to me. I thought there was a lot of content in his dance, and he did it to the best of his ability. I don't expect him to be as good as a pro, and I don't even expect him to be as good as Jordan. He's not as flexible, so he works within his limits, and still makes it look good. 

• Love 11

One more comment to add...I noticed that Maks and Vanessa's pre-taped package had very LITTLE rehearsal footage of the two of them..perhaps, they didn't have that great of time last week?

I am hoping that Vanessa goes as I get an arrogant vibe from her...her waltz wasn't that memorable.

• Love 7
24 minutes ago, truthaboutluv said:

I actually came in to post that I think Frankie might just take this whole thing. That's my bold prediction. Meanwhile, Frankie is right up the alley for many casual viewers. The ones who always insist how the show was supposed to about people with no dance experience, the ones who love the "journey". He's humble, good natured, works hard and is a good dancer. That's a winning combination on this show. 

Frankie has the kind of narrative that the DWTS audience love.   And he has his fans (name recognition) beyond the casual viewers.  Malcom In The Middle was hugely popular and is still in syndication today.

Edited by escape
  • Love 7

I do feel a little bad for Sasha, poor girl got buried by her own pro. Got everything crossed that one of the married couple leaves next week. In fact, can we do the double elimination next week and boot them both out!!!

• Love 7

Victoria and Val- despite all the naysayers I loved this dance. I thought it kept the tone of the 20's ,  I thought it had a lot of jazzy content, Charleston, Lindy, Swing -totally impressed with that, it felt very Mickey and Minnie and I thought it was a great start to the show.  The marks were a tad generous but I wasn't mad at it.

Vanessa and Maks - this was a difficult dance.  Slow waltz is tough for anyone because the footwork is the highlight, and she messed up quite a bit on her turns.  It also felt awkward and under rehearsed.  Marks were okay, I think a 7 in there wouldn't have been out of line

Lindsey and Mark - Reminicent of Derek and Jennifer Grey with the Piano, before they did their Argentine Tango. .. it was a classy smooth dance, lots of good content.  Lindsey's arms were a bit too mechanical, she shot the arm out instead of giving it a bit more flow, and she did that a number of times.  Classic is fine, but it has to be precise.

Nick and Peta-  He tended to shuffle instead of actually do the work required, dropped his posture quite a bit throughout.  Marks were fair, to generous. 

Sasha and Gleb  - I liked her on this dance, I thought she moved fairly well and I thought the judges underscored her.  Gleb still has the worst choreography.

Terrell -I liked the choreography on this Q Step, it really tried to be the showstopper that song commands, so I appreciated the efforts.  Terrell has poker straight posture which is great for this type of dance.  The footwork could have been cleaner, but he handled it all and most importantly he kept up with the pro, he never looked rushed. The  9 might have been a bit high. 

Frankie- well there wasn't a lot of  Argentine content from Frankie, lots from Witney but there was a lot of engauchos that Frankie tried to keep up, but I don't think he was that successful. Also, no lift... not a single one.  There are little lifts that can make a big impact, this had no dynamics.  Good acting tho

Jordan - this is my favorite dance of the night.  It had lots of strong Foxtrot content, and it was entertaining with a break down that was more Singing in the Rain than Gettin' Jiggy Wit it... so that's why I loved it.  A Foxtrot that was modern without losing its roots. 

Nikki - honestly it seemed like a lot of skirtography and not a heck of a lot of content.

Oh and property brother... yeah.  It was one of his better efforts.

Edited by Andie1
22 minutes ago, Bliss said:

I used to be a huge Maks fan... I seem to have lost my enthusiasm for him. He's just not the old Maks anymore!

Old Maks was a douche but he was an entertaining douche. This douchey Maks is just not entertaining at all.

18 minutes ago, mtlchick said:

There will be: in light of the Las Vegas shooting the night before no one was eliminated that night and a double elimination would happen (though I was under the impression it would be the following week.) 

I'm thinking Vanessa and Nick will go together in a double elimination in the next week or two.

14 minutes ago, stonehaven said:

One more comment to add...I noticed that Maks and Vanessa's pre-taped package had very LITTLE rehearsal footage of the two of them..perhaps, they didn't have that great of time last week?

I noticed the same. In fact, I thought it was a lot of camera tricks and they were never actually in the room together.

• Love 3
22 minutes ago, spanana said:

I'll agree to disagree.  I don't think he was perfect and I can see people thinking he was a bit overscored, but I don't think it's necessary to put a lift in an AT if it potentially is going to be a risk to the celeb in question and adds nothing to the dance.  I'd rather pros nix a lift if it's going to be badly done then do a bunch of sloppy ones.

I'm not saying a "bunch"  I'm saying One.  Without it, the dance loses it's dynamics. It might as well be a club AT instead of a show dance.

24 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

I actually looked up the general requirements for an Argentine Tango

Generally speaking Argentine Tango is a social club dance, not a show dance. But when you put a show on for an audience, Argentine Tango is the one dance of all the dances that has unique and interesting lifts.  Such a shame Witney couldn't choreography at least one.  If this is what we get for a dance that should show a lift ability,  I guess we're getting a Donny Osmond Freestyle.  How utterly boring.

Edited by Andie1
  • Love 1

Tonight really highlighted how I truly don't think a female celeb will ever win again.

Terrell does a mediocre at best dance and gets a 9. Frankie does a good acting job of the AT but not the greatest technique... two tens. Jordan does a fine Foxtrot but includes hip hop for a solid 10 seconds and all judges give him a 10, where Len and sometimes CAI and Bruno dock a point, you havce Drew who is forgettable and mediocre get a 9.

Vanessa can't manage a 9 at all so far. Lindsey kills a Jive, only 9's, a super emotional Waltz and gets 9-8-9, kills her Foxtrot tonight but only manages one 10.

Not to mention how we're at 4 female celebs to the 5 males. 4 eliminations and only 1 man has gone. Couple that with the female celeb massacre from last season and it's blaringly obvious.

This season will end the same exact way last season did. Lindsey, Frankie, Jordan in the finals. Lindsey gets 3rd cause its the best females can hope for now, Frankie sneaks into 2nd place, and Jordan, the ringer manages the most predictable win possible.

• Love 1

I don't often find a man in a sombrero sexy, but that look can really work on the right face.  WTG Artem, for being a sexy sombrero guy.  I really enjoyed that dance and they are not my horses in this race.

I cannot believe Frankie's acting ability.  I wish he'd kept it up throughout the dance, but something seemed to shake him and he lost it a bit. 

Re: the fake Frankie bottom two.  Are they hoping for a Lindsay-Witney final two?

I mostly hated new Kermit, but I thought his jokes while judging were pretty good.  

So glad that's over - I hate Disney night even worse than sob story night.  

The opening number started off beautifully.

• Love 5
5 minutes ago, PBGamer89 said:

Vanessa can't manage a 9 at all so far. Lindsey kills a Jive, only 9's, a super emotional Waltz and gets 9-8-9, kills her Foxtrot tonight but only manages one 10.

I agree that Vanessa should be doing a bit better than she is. I just think they're trying to get rid of Maks; that's kind of my theory at this point, because she's way better than Drew, who's getting higher scores, or Terrell. Lindsey definitely should be getting higher scores, just as high as Jordan, but I assume that they really want Lindsay to win this season. I'm just perplexed each week when Lindsey gets underscored. 

7 minutes ago, PBGamer89 said:

Terrell does a mediocre at best dance and gets a 9. Frankie does a good acting job of the AT but not the greatest technique... two tens. Jordan does a fine Foxtrot but includes hip hop for a solid 10 seconds and all judges give him a 10, where Len and sometimes CAI and Bruno dock a point, you havce Drew who is forgettable and mediocre get a 9.

I can agree with this. Though I just enjoy watching Frankie; he's the only one to get me really excited. Lindsey's the second one to almost get me as excited. Jordan is someone I expect to get to the finals...but I also expected Normani to win last season and look what happened. Drew's getting too high of scores. He's almost the new David for me...which doesn't bode well for me when it comes to whoever gets to the finale. I swear, if this turns out to be another David taking Simone's spot with Drew taking Frankie's spot...I'm gonna be pissed. 

10 minutes ago, PBGamer89 said:

Tonight really highlighted how I truly don't think a female celeb will ever win again.

Though I have to disagree with this. A female celeb will definitely win again. Haven't they gone seasons without a male celeb winning, at one point? Also, Lindsey could win this season. I'm not counting her out, yet. 

• Love 3

Tonight I watched 30 seconds and then ffed through TO and Nick and Sasha.  So that's pretty much every Gleb dance that I ffed through

I think Drew is doing quite well.  I wonder if the Canadian vote is helping him.  I personally am still so pissed that they took away my vote in the first place, that I'm not sure I'm going to give them the satisfaction of getting it back.  Drew or no Drew.

• Love 1

I just meant that we've hit a new meta where the best female celeb will only manage 3rd place.

You have mediocre guys like Terrell and Drew earning 9's, Frankie somehow getting a 29 and Jordan getting a 30 despite a hip hop/stepping break in the middle that judges usually call out especially in a ballroom dance. I'm disappointing with Len, usually he keeps it real but that dance was not a 30.

Jordan is facing NO backlash, ZERO, but god forbid a female come on with experience and the clock starts ticking at the premiere.

Ok, Laurie won s23, but remember the James slobbering pimpage all season (calling him unbeatable, the best male celeb ever on the show, etc). I'm still shocked Laurie still pulled the win with all that going on.

• Love 1
55 minutes ago, crowceilidh said:

I don't often find a man in a sombrero sexy, but that look can really work on the right face.  WTG Artem, for being a sexy sombrero guy.

I just want to watch Artem dance all the standard dances. Usually I watch the male pros in the standard dances and think "yeah, that looks nice", but there's something about the way he moves that makes me think "wow, that's really pretty please do more" and I can't figure it out.

I actually look forward to his ballroom dances whereas most of the others tend to lose my attention. I'm not sure why.

Edited by McManda
"make pros" is not a thing. "male pros" are
  • Love 11
13 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

Jordan does a fine Foxtrot but includes hip hop for a solid 10 seconds and all judges give him a 10,

Except that Lindsay's creative "steppin " sequence really isn't hip hop. It's a cool twist, that goes with the sequence in the song, but it never loses the Foxtrot feel, imho.

Edited by Andie1
  • Love 1
Just now, PBGamer89 said:

Ok, Laurie won s23, but remember the James slobbering pimpage all season (calling him unbeatable, the best male celeb ever on the show, etc). I'm still shocked Laurie still pulled the win with all that going on.

But the point is she did, so I do not get the argument of some concerted effort against the women. Okay, some viewers slobber over some male contestants on boards like this. The show cannot control that. People will like who they like. But the fact is, more women have won this show than men, more ringer women have won than male ringers. People can slobber all day on a message board and it means diddly if that person still isn't getting the votes. 

• Love 14
3 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

Though I have to disagree with this. A female celeb will definitely win again. Haven't they gone seasons without a male celeb winning, at one point? Also, Lindsey could win this season. I'm not counting her out, yet. 

With the constant slobbering over the guys and refusing to get real with Jordan or even put him towards the beginning of the show. He's been 6th twice and after that each time, even dancing last twice already, I doubt it now especially now that her scores have been lower than they should be all season. Girl hasn't gotten one completely deserved score any week. Always at least a point or two too low or more.

The more this happens week to week, the more the audience gets brainwashed that she's not good enough to win.

• Love 1
12 minutes ago, truthaboutluv said:

Didn't Laurie win just two seasons ago? And before her, Nyle's win came after Bindi's and Rumer's wins.

Yup... And if we want to bring it further, there was that whole two year period where Melissa Rycroft won, then Kellie Pickler, Amber Riley and Meryl. And in fact I even remember some conversations on this board before Alfonso won where some were wondering if a male would ever win again. 

I'd also add to your point, all of the finalists in S15 were women...the one that Melissa Rycroft won.  Then in S16, 3/4 finalists were women (Kellie P, Zendaya, Aly Raisman). Amber was the only female finalist her season, but won.  In S18 that Meryl won, all three finalists were women (Meryl, Amy Purdy, Candace).  So we're not talking like females have been super underrepresented here.

Doesn't this go against your point though? That you feel James was pimped to high heaven and yet Laurie still overcame all of that to win? I don't particularly agree with your assessment but your point seems to be that pimping doesn't always work.

Edited by spanana
  • Love 15
5 minutes ago, truthaboutluv said:

But the point is she did, so I do not get the argument of some concerted effort against the women. Okay, some viewers slobber over some male contestants on boards like this. The show cannot control that. People will like who they like. But the fact is, more women have won this show than men, more ringer women have won than male ringers. People can slobber all day on a message board and it means diddly if that person still isn't getting the votes. 

Yet all 24 seasons have only given us two female/female top 2. Each other has been male/male or female/male. How many times has 1 female celeb been left in a sea of 3 or 4 male stars. Even if a girl wins they are usually the last one standing for a couple weeks.

In general, there's a male bias; in scoring, in dance order, in judge and fan perception. The women get slaughtered in most seasons, leaving one or two from Week 7/8 and beyond and generally the women get more "i don't connect with the them, too experienced, too happy, too bitchy, etc" comments.

2 minutes ago, spanana said:

I'd also add to your point, all of the finalists in S15 were women...the one that Melissa Rycroft won.  Then in S16, 3/4 finalists were women (Kellie P, Zendaya, Aly Raisman). Amber was the only female finalist her season, but won.  In S18 that Meryl won, all three finalists were women (Meryl, Amy Purdy, Candace).  So we're not talking like females have been super underrepresented here.

You wanna give me the only two times we had all female finalists and the gazillion other times there's been only 1 female finalist or the numerous more times we got male/male top 2.

Not to mention S23 was the only season the first 4 elims were male celebs.

Every other season, in the first 4 elims, you get at least 1 or two women gone. In this season alone we've already lost 3 women to only 1 man.

3 minutes ago, spanana said:

Doesn't this go against your point though? That you feel James was pimped to high heaven and yet Laurie still overcame all of that to win? I don't particularly agree with your assessment but your point seems to be that pimping doesn't always work.

No because it meant that even with a women winning, you had a male celeb get twice the pimpage she got, regardless of whether he lost. The fans loved James each week, yet you don't know how many times I saw such criticism and hatred for Laurie each week. Some even saying the lost Canadian vote made James lose, a fact some people still spew 1 year later. So even when a women wins, it gets questioned constantly.

Edited by PBGamer89
  • Love 1

I just want to watch Artem dance all the standard dances. Usually I watch the make pros in the standard dances and think "yeah, that looks nice", but there's something about the way he moves that makes me think "wow, that's really pretty please do more" and I can't figure it out.

I actually look forward to his ballroom dances whereas most of the others tend to lose my attention. I'm not sure why.

I agree. Artem somehow comes off as more elegant (?, not sure that is the word I want to use but it's as close as I can get) than some of the other male pros. In fact, due to the way he moves, I often think he's one of the tallest male pros but I believe Gleb, Keo, Maks, and possibly even Val are all taller than him. 

We've been having the male vs female debate since literally season one. Men have to lead (or at least "lead") but the argument is that the female pros can just dance around them. The women have to be the pretty picture but the argument is that the male pros can often just move/manhandle them into place.

Edited by sab85
  • Love 3
Just now, PBGamer89 said:

With the constant slobbering over the guys and refusing to get real with Jordan or even put him towards the beginning of the show. He's been 6th twice and after that each time, even dancing last twice already, I doubt it now especially now that her scores have been lower than they should be all season. Girl hasn't gotten one completely deserved score any week. Always at least a point or two too low or more.

The more this happens week to week, the more the audience gets brainwashed that she's not good enough to win.

They did it constantly with Normani last season. Not the constantly in the last half of the show (I forgot how often she actually went first) but the slobbering all over her. Remember that stupid salsa that was really a thirty second hip hop number and no criticisms happened there? Once they have their frontrunner, they plow deep and can't find the criticisms to make them better dancers; instead, they promote the idea that they ARE already amazing. Now, I'll leave it at that because that kind of discussion should be in the General Gabbery topic. But just coming back to this season with Jordan, they're basically doing the same thing with him. 

Just saying that it's not a pattern yet that the females will always get third place. That only happened last season, and it's not quite set in stone that it'll happen this season. The voting matters, and Lindsey might actually have more fans than Jordan, which will help tremendously. Maybe Jordan's getting high scores BECAUSE he's not getting quite enough votes. 

I'm trying to hold out hope for Lindsey here because I do want her to get to the finals and I'd love for her to win over Jordan. 

Though, looking back at Rashad's scores for Disney week, he got a 7 and he managed to win. Sometimes, the high scores don't match the place that a contestant finishes. 

• Love 5