Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E07: Valerie Solanas Died for Your Sins: Scumbag

• Start Topic

Wow. That's one way to keep controlling your female followers: use a separate female cult leader to manipulate them into rebelling against you.

SCUM is a terrible acronym for a feminist group.

"I didn't kill my wife, I just drove her crazy." You're still the worst, Ivy.

At least Ally didn't get framed for the shooting.

• Love 15

I enjoyed Evan as Andy Warhol would have been nice to see more of it.

Way too much Lena Dunham. I liked seeing Frances and hearing her tell the story but half the time they kept cutting back to Lena.

The only part I liked with Lena was when Evan started to look at her like she was crazy.

The ending was great I did not see that coming.

I'm sorry to see Harrison go.

Kai still visits the family.

Good to see we know it was actually Meadow who is blamed for the shooting.

• Love 12

Ivy really is the worst. She has convinced herself she’s “just” driving her wife crazy, as if that’s not a heinous thin* to do.  And she sure didn’t seem to have any qualms about killing Harrison, did she? 

I’m not someone who has ever had any feelings about Kena Dunham one way or the other, but fuck she was annoying. Is that how she is in everything, or was that the character?

• Love 9
27 minutes ago, ShadowHunter said:

I enjoyed Evan as Andy Warhol would have been nice to see more of it.

Indeed, Evan clearly did his research for this part. He got his mannerisms and quiet speeh perfectly. Also props to the hair and makeup cause I didn't even recognize Evan at first.

• Love 14

I think Lena Dunham was perfect, totally Emmy worthy. I think this episode was one of the best. It was layered with comedy within the horror. And the casting of Valerie's cult was perfect. (One of the actors looked like he was about to crack up laughing after one of the actors delivered her line) 

Edited by DakotaLavender
  • Love 9

It was nice to Jaime Brewer again she not been around since Season 4.

37 minutes ago, madhacker said:

Indeed, Evan clearly did his research for this part. He got his mannerisms and quiet speeh perfectly. Also props to the hair and makeup cause I didn't even recognize Evan at first.

Yes he said in an interview he watched and read a lot about him. I feel it showed.

• Love 8

I wasn't expecting the ending, but I should have, as soon as he mentioned saying hello to the girls. He looked so "woe is me". I don't know why Winter would believe what he said about Harrison. He's clearly manipulating everyone. At this rate, though, he isn't going to have any followers left. 

• Love 6

Not a fan of Lena Dunham, so I'm really hoping this is the only time we'll ever see her on the show. She was well cast as Solanas but that isn't meant as a compliment.

If this episode was supposed to make Valerie sympathetic, it certainly did the opposite. She was basically a murdering, man hating nutter with a scary cult trying to take credit for the Zodiac murders. Yikes.

The only scene where Dunham actually made an impression was when Valerie was melting down over her legacy and Warhol was taunting her. Evan Peters did brilliantly as Andy.

Loved Frances Conroy in this one too and seeing Bebe spurring Winter, Ivy and Beverly into action. Wasn't too sad to see Harrison die even if he got a grisly death.

Great end scene though, 7/10

• Love 11
45 minutes ago, Chaos Theory said:

This is was the first episode I didn’t like.  Way to much of the side story.  I don’t care.  The ending however was unexpected and well done. 

Kai is the author of everything 

I feel the same. The only parts of the episode I really liked were seeing Evan as Warhol and the ending twist where you see that the woman has been manipulating the other women on behalf of Kai. I totally did not see that shit coming. 

It was chilling to see all of those guys walking around Kai's house in those blue shirts. I guess he's trying to appeal to his blue collar base? All it made me think of was Sir Oswald Mosley and his blackshirt followers. Very chilling and effective for Beverly to walk into that environment to see and feel that she obviously doesn't belong anymore. (Maybe she never did.) I won't be surprised if Beverly is the next one to be taken out. Imagine if Kai gets another reporter on his side and the reporter is male? 

I'm trying to decide who's next on the chopping block since Kai seems like he wants to get rid of a lot of people from the first group. I can see Beverly going down for the murders of Bob and the gimp since she's the only one who took off her mask. I know she told the guy not to film her but if they do an analysis of the voice and look for other clues, I can see her getting caught up. 

I wonder how the cop will feel about Harrison's death? Harrison had such contempt for Meadow. If Meadow hadn't killed five innocent people I'd feel so sorry for her to have spent so much of her life loving a man who despised her on every level. 

How has someone not wondered if some of these murders are connected? Harrison's boss at the gym, Meadow, Harrison, etc. What about the fact that Meadow and Harrison were the ones who recorded Kai's attack from those men? Then you have three employees from the same news station all being killed around the same time in gruesome fashion.

I hated the Valerie stuff. I wanted to walk out long before those other women did. 

• Love 8

I found myself for the first time all season switch the channel to other things so I probably missed a lot.  I did however really like the end with Ivy coming into her own finally finding her anger.  Yeah I know a lot of people don’t like her but I think she might just be the break out star of this thing for me.  You know that person you don’t really notice at first who breaks the whole thing open one way or the other,  Ivy is that person for me.  Yeah she is a manipulative bitch but damn girl!!!!!

• Love 3

I thought Lena did a great job. I realize she's divisive and a lotta folks hate her, tho I never quite grasp why, but whatever, but I think she's an underrated actor. Wonder if Valerie has any real life family still around who might object to this (fictionalized) characterization?

Ivy sucks. I will miss crazy awful Harrison. Billy Eichner was a welcome addition to the AHS cast.

Evan's Warhol was fabulous, and yeah, kudos to the makeup dept for getting it all so right.

I like Kai's blue hair but why does it ALWAYS look wet/greasy?

• Love 10

This probably means nothing but wasn't the unknown Zodiac killer one of the guests at the Devil's Night banquet in AHS: Hotel?  Maybe Ryan Murphy is just obsessed with the ZK, lol.

Edited by RalyWilmy
  • Love 8
12 minutes ago, RalyWilmy said:

This probably means nothing but wasn't the unknown Zodiac killer one of the guests at the Devil's Night banquet in AHS: Hotel? 

He was.  I think the revelation that Bibi was working with Kai means the whole Valerie Solanas/Zodiac Killer story was indeed just a story to get the women 'angry'.

• Love 7

A while back, I'd read a rumor that Charles Manson and another notorious culty type would show up in the season, and I looked forward to it. But then once the season started, it didn't seem like it would fit in all that well with so much else going on. I'm happy to see that it could go that way after all.

• Love 5

I may have to buckle down and watch this episode again.  I did get bored because i am invested in the main plot and don’t really care about another side plot unless it directly involves the main one.  The only thing I can see it doing is putting a fire under Ivy who has never really cared about anything.  Even in the cult she was mostly passive.  The story made her angry for the first time and she murdered Harrison because she wanted to.   

If anything this was Ivy’s coming out story.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Avaleigh said:

I'm trying to decide who's next on the chopping block since Kai seems like he wants to get rid of a lot of people from the first group.

Interesting that as soon as he got what he wanted he went all Handmaiden's Tale on the women of the group and banished them from not just the inner sanctum but the house. The original members are in danger because they know about the clown murders and may feel like they have a bigger stake or say just because they were in on the ground floor. Kai wants pure Betas below him just grateful to be under his tutelage. 

I know it should have come as no surprise that Bibi was with Kai, but it was still a shock for me. So kudos!

I was wondering about the cop not answering Ivy's phone calls, although who would blame him. I know Meadow mentioned him possibly being a part of Kai's new sausage fest but still.  

I think Lena got better as the episode progressed, but still there was just too much of her back story and I think I would feel the same way no matter who was playing Valerie. I felt like veering into this SCUM biopic was the first real misstep this season. Made me nervous because Ryan does tend to lose the thread mid-season by throwing everything and the kitchen sink into the show. Fingers crossed!

Kai can't be that smart or he would've saved getting shot for a Congressional or governorship at least. 

Ready for the 'good guys' to finally get a win.  

Edited by islandgal140
  • Love 8

"I just got a retweet from Eric Trump!" Hahaha.

Did not expect that ending and without a lot of thought, can't figure Kai's & (name I don't remember) her game.

Emmy Nom for Evan Peters anyone?

I never new Andy Warhol was shot. I saw a pic of the real Valerie and they did a good job with Lena's wardrobe and hair.

I kinda agreed (except for the killing part) with a lot of what the Valerie character had to say.

Ivy is sick. Barely any Ally. Who is watching Oz?

I feel Winter might end up being the heroine of this whole storyline.

Show is keeping my interest.... altho when the Francis Conroy character showed up, I was like.... This is the episode when the season goes off the rails.

• Love 7

The way the last episode resonated with he Vegas shooting and this one with the whole "me too" campaign is just uncanny. But, honestly, the manner Murphy has ridiculed Solanas and feminism was not nice.    

Edited by skotnikov
  • Love 9
5 hours ago, islandgal140 said:

Interesting that as soon as he got what he wanted he went all Handmaiden's Tale on the women of the group and banished them from not just the inner sanctum but the house. The original members are in danger because they know about the clown murders and may feel like they have a bigger stake or say just because they were in on the ground floor. Kai wants pure Betas below him just grateful to be under his tutelage. 

I know it should have come as no surprise that Bibi was with Kai, but it was still a shock for me. So kudos!

I was wondering about the cop not answering Ivy's phone calls, although who would blame him. I know Meadow mentioned him possibly being a part of Kai's new sausage fest but still.  

I think Lena got better as the episode progressed, but still there was just too much of her back story and I think I would feel the same way no matter who was playing Valerie. I felt like veering into this SCUM biopic was the first real misstep this season. Made me nervous because Ryan does tend to lose the thread mid-season by throwing everything and the kitchen sink into the show. Fingers crossed!

Kai can't be that smart or he would've saved getting shot for a Congressional or governorship at least. 

Ready for the 'good guys' to finally get a win.  

What "good guys"?  The only one that would count for that is Ally. Ozzie is fine as well.

Beverly is still killing she even wants "Fresh Blood". She will want to rule the woman the way Kai does.

Ivy is killing with no problem now and she still has done nothing to help her wife. Winter is also a killer. She knows about the parents but kept quiet so she could go to college.

The Dr. is awful as well.  He set the plan in motion with regards to his parents at least. As far as we know. 

The cop and Gary are killers as well. 

Edited by ShadowHunter
  • Love 6

I find it kinda refreshing that there are no good guys in this.  There are no tradionaly likeabke characters and yet I am finding all of them especially lieabke in their own way.  Or maybe fascinating is a better term.  Then again I always did like a good downward spiral and Ally’s spiral has been overt and obvious but Ivy and Beverly  their spirals are less so but still they are both starting to unravel and that is where the fun begins fir me.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, Chaos Theory said:

This is was the first episode I didn’t like.  Way to much of the side story.  I don’t care.  The ending however was unexpected and well done. 

Kai is the author of everything 

I agree too much of the side story. It would have been interesting if the background story could have been the Manson family instead. The  France's character could have been similar and had the same look bit she could have been one of the former members of the Manson cult that got away. Well at least the character could claim  she got away and claim she rebelled against Manson. She could have done basically the whole song and dance thing that she did with the women in this episode about evil men leaders etc and the episode would have ended the same with her in on it with Kai.  How cool would it have been to see Evan play out the Charles Manson role. But by doing so not make it a copy of the Kai character. The Manson thing all happened in the late sixties too. Anyway I just think the Manson background story would have been way more interesting and could have had the episode end on the same conclusion. I loved what they did with the twist ending and should be interesting what happens next

• Love 5

I really enjoyed this episode just because there was no sarah paulson screaming at the screen every 5 seconds.

I thought Lena Dunham and Evan peters were great playing Valerie Solanas and Andy Warhol respectively. Yay too for the return of Frances Conroy. Wonder if she will be in any other episodes.

I am starting to get bored with this season and am wondering what exactly the “endgame” is. 

Poor Harrison. I enjoyed Billy Eichner in the role, and hopefully he will be back in some capacity in subsequent seasons.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

"I didn't kill my wife, I just drove her crazy." You're still the worst, Ivy.

This show reminds me of an old movie where a women does the same thing Ivy is doing to her spouse. In the end, the husband is still sane enough to realize he can get away with killing her since everyone knows he's crazy, and tells her that as he does so. Ivy may be in for her own "oops" moment. With this episode, I can no longer buy that Ivy would vote for Clinton.

• Love 9

For me, the bonus was Dot Marie Jones.  She's such a powerhouse actress and I'm sad if she's only going to get a bit part as one of the early SCUM members.

I can't wait to learn the relationship between Frances Conroy's character and Kai.  It's awkward if she's a family member, since the 'rents are upstairs, conveniently non-smelly due to the lye.  (I don't think lye is really that efficient, so don't get any ideas!)

Edited by candall
  • Love 1
40 minutes ago, Stringey said:

I agree too much of the side story. It would have been interesting if the background story could have been the Manson family instead. The  France's character could have been similar and had the same look bit she could have been one of the former members of the Manson cult that got away. Well at least the character could claim  she got away and claim she rebelled against Manson. She could have done basically the whole song and dance thing that she did with the women in this episode about evil men leaders etc and the episode would have ended the same with her in on it with Kai.  How cool would it have been to see Evan play out the Charles Manson role. But by doing so not make it a copy of the Kai character. The Manson thing all happened in the late sixties too. Anyway I just think the Manson background story would have been way more interesting and could have had the episode end on the same conclusion. I loved what they did with the twist ending and should be interesting what happens next

I think it was confirmed that Evan will be playing Manson, at some point.

• Love 6

This ep wasn't at all what I expected. Bit too long on the Solanas/Dunham part but still interesting. The second Beverly paid FC's character any attention, I immediately thought, "bad idea, bad idea". Why did she trust some lady who pops up out of nowhere and seeming to give her exactly what she needed? Big mistake. Huge.

Is Kai going to use her to egg the women on so they'll kill each other off leaving him with clean hands?

• Love 5

All of the episodes are supposed to be connected in some way, right?  Like Queenie was in both Coven and Hotel, Pepper was in both Asylum and Freak Show, etc.  Do you think that Twisty and The Zodiac are going to be this seasons links to previous seasons or will there be more?  

15 minutes ago, sugarbaker design said:

I figure he'll use the women to kill off the male members of the insane clown posse first (Chaz Bono, Det Samuels) and then each other.

Kia is indeed the devil. Not literally but you get what I mean. I don't know if I believe his backstory. We don't know everything just from that backstory clip of him and his parents but it played out like he was kind of normal. By normal I am mean not a manipulative psychopath. Just like I said I think ivy had criminal tendencies before this cult thing I also think that Kai must have been a little crazy to begin with. I don't think he went from someone who was just a little lost to the Kai we now see just because he hated his dad and wanted to prove he was somebody to his mom. I dont know for sure I guess if I am right they will reveal it at some point. If not then I guess we assume they showed us the true story of what happened to his parents.

• Love 1

One of the things that I always appreciated about this show was none of the characters going all the way back to Murder House were particularly like able.  Oh there are always an exception or two but most of the characters are dipshits.  

I like that.

i also like that the show is not above switching focus midway through.  I know a lot of people didn’t like Roanoke but I liked the fact that at first glance it was about a husband and wife talking about their perfect marriage and then trying to save their fractured one.  My mid story it was thrown out and became about whether a completely different woman murdered her husband and maybe her kid.  

I think Cult is attempting that right now.  It is shifting its focus off of Ally and onto Ivy. Or maybe not.  Maybe it will be back in Ally next week and the battle between crazy will be on.

3 hours ago, mansfolly said:

"I just got a retweet from Eric Trump!" Hahaha.

Did not expect that ending and without a lot of thought, can't figure Kai's & (name I don't remember) her game.

Emmy Nom for Evan Peters anyone?

I never new Andy Warhol was shot. I saw a pic of the real Valerie and they did a good job with Lena's wardrobe and hair.

I kinda agreed (except for the killing part) with a lot of what the Valerie character had to say.

Ivy is sick. Barely any Ally. Who is watching Oz?

I feel Winter might end up being the heroine of this whole storyline.

Show is keeping my interest.... altho when the Francis Conroy character showed up, I was like.... This is the episode when the season goes off the rails.

Emmy nom for Evan Peters...hell yeah. I thought he was a lock for the "Hotel" season as Mr. March. Kid's killin' it.

Speaking of Frances Conroy, while I love me some Sarah Paulson, I'm kinda burnt out on her in this show. I think she could benefit from a season or two off or just in cameo. She was there in smaller doses in "Hotel" and it worked (for me lol). As much as I would like to see Frances Conroy in a lead role, maybe her appeal for me on AHS is that she does just pop in here and there. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe she's been in every season along with Evan Peters and Sarah Paulson. That reminds me, where is Denis O'Hare?!

Really digging the last few episodes, the first few had me checked out and just catching up on DVR when I thought about it, but this last one I actually watched the first-run broadcast.

Jamie Brewer...yay!

• Love 5
23 minutes ago, Chaos Theory said:

One of the things that I always appreciated about this show was none of the characters going all the way back to Murder House were particularly like able.  Oh there are always an exception or two but most of the characters are dipshits.  

I like that.

i also like that the show is not above switching focus midway through.  I know a lot of people didn’t like Roanoke but I liked the fact that at first glance it was about a husband and wife talking about their perfect marriage and then trying to save their fractured one.  My mid story it was thrown out and became about whether a completely different woman murdered her husband and maybe her kid.  

I think Cult is attempting that right now.  It is shifting its focus off of Ally and onto Ivy. Or maybe not.  Maybe it will be back in Ally next week and the battle between crazy will be on.

Of course you do.  You're Chaos Theory!

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, Negritude said:

Emmy nom for Evan Peters...hell yeah. I thought he was a lock for the "Hotel" season as Mr. March. Kid's killin' it.

Speaking of Frances Conroy, while I love me some Sarah Paulson, I'm kinda burnt out on her in this show. I think she could benefit from a season or two off or just in cameo. She was there in smaller doses in "Hotel" and it worked (for me lol). As much as I would like to see Frances Conroy in a lead role, maybe her appeal for me on AHS is that she does just pop in here and there. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe she's been in every season along with Evan Peters and Sarah Paulson. That reminds me, where is Denis O'Hare?!

Really digging the last few episodes, the first few had me checked out and just catching up on DVR when I thought about it, but this last one I actually watched the first-run broadcast.

Jamie Brewer...yay!

I loved Evan Peters in Hotel, as well.  It showed me how much rain he truly has as an actor.  I wonder how much longer a show like AHS has with him before he is picked up by a network show or for films.

Frances Conroy is excellent! I think she has been in ever season except Hotel.

• Love 2

I don't watch Girls and I really have never seen Lena Dunham in anything, so I have no preconceived notions about her and no prior opinion of her. To me, this episode felt like a vanity piece for a guest star. If not Dunham than anybody else, but the whole flashback subplot didn't really interest me. I did enjoy Evan Peters playing Warhol (took me a few minutes to realize it was him) but other than that, I felt like the hour was wasted on a peripheral story that only existed to service a guest star appearance. 

As for Dunham herself, nothing in this episode compelled me to check out her other work. Don't really know what the appeal is, frankly. Nothing against her, but there just wasn't anything in this episode that made me go "Wow she's really good." She was just kind of there.

• Love 8
26 minutes ago, BlancheDevoreaux said:

I wonder how much longer a show like AHS has with him before he is picked up by a network show or for films.

I can see doing film work, but why would EP trade AHS for a network show?  Scripts by committee/network executives, notes from producers about height and weight, iron clad contracts that rule out any other work.  EP is better off on an adventurous network like FX or TNT.

• Love 7
11 minutes ago, sugarbaker design said:

I can see doing film work, but why would EP trade AHS for a network show?  Scripts by committee/network executives, notes from producers about height and weight, iron clad contracts that rule out any other work.  EP is better off on an adventurous network like FX or TNT.

Because network shows almost always mean more money and more exposure which leads to more money.

22 minutes ago, sugarbaker design said:

10 minutes ago, BlancheDevoreaux said:

Because network shows almost always mean more money and more exposure which leads to more money.

Say what you want about Ryan Murphy but he usually has a project or two on the air.  If you prefer tv to movies then being one of his muses is not a bad thing to be.  You may not be paid top dollar but you will always have a job.   

• Love 8
2 hours ago, Negritude said:

Jamie Brewer...yay!

I feel the same about Sarah Paulson. Thankfully she has not been the focal point for the last few episodes.

Frances did not appear in Hotel at all so she missed a season. No idea about Denis O'Hare being on this season yet. 

I hope Evan gets a nom at least Cult. I will be annoyed if it does not happen.

I realize Kai may have been testing the waters but Harrison was such a devoted follower so I am surprised. He did say he was tired of followers its not what he needs.

Edited by ShadowHunter
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Chaos Theory said:

Say what you want about Ryan Murphy but he usually has a project or two on the air.  If you prefer tv to movies then being one of his muses is not a bad thing to be.  You may not be paid top dollar but you will always have a job.   

This though. I like the directors and producers that work with a lot of the same actors over and over. I get a kick out of seeing which one of them will pop up in which project. Spike Lee used to do that a lot. EP was in the X-Men movies so there's that, but creatively and artistically, he's hit the jackpot with AHS because he was playing pretty generic teen roles prior to this. At least those were the only roles I saw him in.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Negritude said:

This though. I like the directors and producers that work with a lot of the same actors over and over. I get a kick out of seeing which one of them will pop up in which project. Spike Lee used to do that a lot. EP was in the X-Men movies so there's that, but creatively and artistically, he's hit the jackpot with AHS because he was playing pretty generic teen roles prior to this. At least those were the only roles I saw him in.

Yes Evan actually has a few projects lined up when I looked at  his IMDb page. I hope and think he should stick with AHS for awhile and still film some movies.  The roles before AHS also seemed like a side kick best friend character. I know he was in that movie Never Back Down and the two lead guys were hyped around the time. One of them was in the first Twilight movie. 

I noticed again Kai mentioned adderall. He was looking for some in his sisters room. No idea Winter was also taking it. I feel Kai is getting too dependent on it. 

• Love 2