Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E06: A. Malcolm

Athena
  • Start Topic

After decades apart, Jamie and Claire finally reunite and rekindle their emotional and physical bonds. But Jamie's new business dealings jeopardize the couple's hopes for a simple life together.

Reminder: This is the No Book Talk topic. No discussion of the books is allowed including saying "in the books..." Book readers are discouraged from posting and liking in this thread. Posts may be removed without warning.

Only a few minutes in and Geordie already seems like a bit of a pill.

I really loved that we got to see the printing process and that they tied it into the credits for this episode.

I understand that Jamie and Claire were getting reacquainted but when he asked why she had come back, I was like ARE YOU SERIOUS, MAN? Yes, she just dropped by to bring you some pictures of your daughter and she's going to go back through the stones now. Buh bye!

OF COURSE Claire doesn't listen when Jamie tells her to stay in her room while he's gone and then she just wanders downstairs to hang out with the prostitutes.

• Love 6

I can understand  him asking that. I think he just wanted to be sure she was back " for good" because he couldn't go through losing her again. I can see that he'd be a bit thrown at her sudden reappearance & and maybe wondering why she waited 20 yrs. Like "Why now?" and not 10yrs, 15 yrs, 19yrs ago  The viewers know why, we know she never got over him, but Jamie doesn't without asking  I think it was part of the overall awkwardness and uncertainty they both had about the reunion  

• Love 12

I really enjoyed this episode.

The reunion:  Awkward,shy,  with callbacks to their wedding night (especially the interrupted kiss).  Well done, slow re-connection.

Loving the new Fergus and Claire's genuine delight at seeing him.

Is the Madam the new Laoghaire who is going to try to come between Jamie and Claire?  She clearly has a thing for Jamie.

Geordie is awesome!  Jamie needs one person around him who doesn't want him or her worship him.  

Did Jamie just drop his pants by the press?  Why not take them with him to the sleeping area?

Why did Claire put a zipper in her dress?  Surely the washerwomen will wonder what it is.

I'm glad she thought to bring pictures of Brianna.  Will Brianna find the pictures somewhere?  I was wondering if Frank would be in any of the pictures, but i guess that would be too traumatic for Jamie.

Of course, Jamie is printing seditious material and smuggling.  I swear, he has a death wish!

Also, of course, Claire cannot be in town 1 day without being attacked and threatened with rape!  

• Love 8

I think this was a nice call back to the Wedding. Things were really awkward but tender between them then, and this was tender and awkward now. I got what Jaime was getting at (and I think in his head it must have seen like a dream sort of). 

I'm wondering with Fergus (So CUTE STILL!) if his accent is supposed to be a scottish/french blend because it always sounds kind of off. this is officially a new Fergus right? he's adorable. :) 

The zipper and the photographs would be v. hard to explain.
Jaime likes being in trouble that's the truth. and I'm not sure why Claire can't listen lol (but then truthfully, she'd be in trouble had she been in the room anyway). 

• Love 2

I watched earlier but didn't have a chance to get online and comment until now.  

• I really liked the music when Jamie was walking to the printshop.
  • Actually, I really liked all the scenes showing what Jamie was up to before Claire arrived (rearrived) back in the past.  I wish the show had spent a little longer on that portion.  The costuming, sets, and cinematography of that part was just perfect.  The printing procedure was especially interesting to me, from an American Revolution standpoint, thinking that's pretty much what Benjamin Franklin and Thomas Paine among others would have had to do in their time.  Also, later, when Jamie was talking about Sedition - that's of what my American forefathers were accused.  Had we (the US) lost the war, they would have all been hung as traitors.  I promise you, I'm not a big history buff (although I find myself more interested in history the older I get) but I also think it's interesting that, after Culloden, from what I've read, a good many Scots were sent or voluntarily left for the colonies.  So Claire's story about going to the colonies was a good one in that respect.  However, when the war for independence started, most of those same Scots fought on the side of the English.   I guess once burned, twice shy.  But I digress...
  • Jamie was adorable being self conscious about needing reading glasses.  And he did look very dashing in them.
  • The first consummation scene between Claire and Jamie was perfect.  However the second went on a little too long, imo.  And I'm one of those people who were complaining about the lack of intimate scenes in Season 2.  Then there was the third one.  It was like the show was getting them all in this episode.  And from now on out there will be another dearth of intimacy.  Good grief - a little goes a long way, show people.  And there's nothing wrong with spacing those scenes out a little more.  It doesn't have to be feast or famine!
  • I was surprised - and pleased - that Jamie told Claire about Willie.  Nice that he's being so upfront with her.  
  • Claire remains not too bright.  She walks, half naked, into a room and a man she does not recognize is there and instead of immediately grabbing a weapon - like say a red hot fire place poker - before she threatens him, she just tells him to get out - of  a room in a brothel.  Like he's going to listen to you sweetheart.  
  • I have no doubt Jamie will show up just in the nick of time!
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, RulerofallIsurvey said:

Claire remains not too bright.  She walks, half naked, into a room and a man she does not recognize is there and instead of immediately grabbing a weapon - like say a red hot fire place poker - before she threatens him, she just tells him to get out - of  a room in a brothel.  Like he's going to listen to you sweetheart.  

The fact that she walked out of her room half naked in the first place was another hint that she’s not too bright. Yup, just feel free to roam around a brothel with barely anything on and don’t expect to be mistaken for a prostitute by anyone!

• Love 8
8 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

The fact that she walked out of her room half naked in the first place was another hint that she’s not too bright. Yup, just feel free to roam around a brothel with barely anything on and don’t expect to be mistaken for a prostitute by anyone!

She seemed to be amused to be taken for a prostitute by the other women!  She certainly didn't do anything to correct their misunderstanding!

Also, how did she spend all that time preparing for her return to Jamie and not come up with a cover for where she'd been all this time??

• Love 1
9 hours ago, jcin617 said:

Amusingly, the original song the theme music comes from, and the poem the lyrics are based on, are both about his escape.

The tune, I believe, is older, but there is a version about BPC sailing off to the Isle of Skye. The words used for the theme song for Outlander are from a Robert Louis Stevenson poem (which is not about BPC but does mention the Isle of Skye): https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poems/45949/sing-me-a-song-of-a-lad-that-is-gone

9 hours ago, RulerofallIsurvey said:
  • Actually, I really liked all the scenes showing what Jamie was up to before Claire arrived (rearrived) back in the past.  I wish the show had spent a little longer on that portion.  The costuming, sets, and cinematography of that part was just perfect.  The printing procedure was especially interesting to me, from an American Revolution standpoint, thinking that's pretty much what Benjamin Franklin and Thomas Paine among others would have had to do in their time.  Also, later, when Jamie was talking about Sedition - that's of what my American forefathers were accused.  Had we (the US) lost the war, they would have all been hung as traitors.  I promise you, I'm not a big history buff (although I find myself more interested in history the older I get) but I also think it's interesting that, after Culloden, from what I've read, a good many Scots were sent or voluntarily left for the colonies.  So Claire's story about going to the colonies was a good one in that respect.  However, when the war for independence started, most of those same Scots fought on the side of the English.   I guess once burned, twice shy.  But I digress...

Yes, I really liked this scene, too! A "slice of life" which shows us what Jamie was up to--and in the process gives us a nice historical demonstration of a printing press!

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Adira said:

Also, how did she spend all that time preparing for her return to Jamie and not come up with a cover for where she'd been all this time??

Well, she did say that she went to the colonies cause she thought Jamie was dead and it wouldn't have been good for the folks at Lallybroch to have the wife a traitor around.  That's pretty good, I guess.  

1 minute ago, RulerofallIsurvey said:

Well, she did say that she went to the colonies cause she thought Jamie was dead and it wouldn't have been good for the folks at Lallybroch to have the wife a traitor around.  That's pretty good, I guess.  

Yeah, but she made it sound like she came up with that lie on the spot, instead of having it planned out ahead of time.  Maybe I just interpreted it wrong.

Just now, Adira said:

Yeah, but she made it sound like she came up with that lie on the spot, instead of having it planned out ahead of time.  Maybe I just interpreted it wrong.

Oh true.  I'd forgotten about that.  Maybe she had that vague notion of what she'd use as a cover story but didn't think through the details until she had to right then.  

• Love 1

For the most part I liked it. I'm still a little...umm.. unsure about the characters still looking like they are in their 20's instead of 40's. I can't seem to reconcile that part. The whole twenty year separation bugs me and that is one of the reasons why. The actors weren't age progressed. They still look the same and I have a hard time suspending my belief.

I turned before the end (Poldark was on another channel --- and on a side note I watch Poldark after Outlander and I have to stop and remember-- oh yeah Poldark et all are NOT time travelers!)) anyway. I missed the end but reading here Claire did as she always does-- she was flitting about and will get herself raped or almost raped. Jamie will come to the rescue I am sure so no worries.

I liked that Jamie was a bit hesitant -- like -- bitch you disappeared for 20 years and now you're back? why? why now? how long do you plan to stay? and why? why would you stay in a time and place without running water and modern medicine? He seemed like he didn't believe that if things get tough-- Claire won't just get going!

• Love 3

I often have to turn on the CC for this show. I'm getting better but the accents are still sometimes difficult to understand. 

How old are they supposed to be now? Late 40's? I think Claire has always looked older than Jamie and also looks older than the actress's real age. She's never looked in her 20's to me but is easily believable as a woman in her 40's. I think both Cait & Sam are late 30's, right? 

Jamie didn't look quite as boyish and innocent as in past seasons but the glasses only served to make him more attractive, not older. Hungry, indeed :)

Edited by cam3150
  • Love 3

I think 5 episodes was a fair amount of time prior to the reunion, but I felt when Claire was talking about Frank that we just didn't see much of anything from the 20th century. It might have been a better narrative choice to just reunite right away and then show flashbacks because we didn't get much of anything otherwise anyway.

• Love 3
25 minutes ago, cam3150 said:

I often have to turn on the CC for this show. I'm getting better but the accents are still sometimes difficult to understand. 

How old are they supposed to be now? Late 40's? I think Claire has always looked older than Jamie and also looks older than the actress's real age. She's never looked in her 20's to me but is easily believable as a woman in her 40's. I think both Cait & Sam are late 30's, right? 

Jamie didn't look quite as boyish and innocent as in past seasons but the glasses only served to make him more attractive, not older. Hungry, indeed :)

I forgot that. Jaime's glasses. oh my yum, I think that was better than his bare bum. 

This one was a real mix for me, which seemed a shame since it was pretty hyped up.

LOVED the snippets of Jamie's life before Claire's return. I wouldn't have minded a whole episode of it to be honest. I found it interesting to observe this older, sort of new Jamie and the printing press was kind of fascinating. 

Quite liked the awkwardness between them. I think this is very realistic. That said, I felt like a bit more emotion, even just at first and then having the awkward timidness take over right after would have worked better. 

Really disliked the abrupt change of conversation after Jamie saw pictures of Bree. I would think this would be a WAY bigger deal for him. That part of the episode, alone, really took me out of it. I get that he wanted to be honest with Claire about Willy, but I think that was a big mistake. Even just waiting until the next episode or at least until later in the evening would have been better. 

Claire and the ending - don't get me started. This again? 

Edited by Otherkate
  • Love 5
20 minutes ago, Daisy said:

I forgot that. Jaime's glasses. oh my yum, I think that was better than his bare bum. 

Well, I wouldn't go that far :)

Was anyone else distracted by Jamie's back scar? It looked odd to me for some reason. Maybe just because we were seeing it while so much movement was going on. I don't know but it was distracting to me this time. 

• Love 3
57 minutes ago, Otherkate said:

I wouldn't have minded a whole episode of it to be honest.

I think the point was that Claire just kind of dropped in and wasn't aware of what Jamie's life was now. Had we known that beforehand I think it might have taken off some of the suspense of learning his new world. 

I'm surprised Claire would think Jamie was at the brothel to use its services. 

I didn't get why Jamie was smuggling the booze. It's not illegal is it? Or was it because the brothel couldn't buy it. 

Edited by ganesh

My title (s) of this episode would be  He's Not That Into You or My Picture is better than your Pictures. (disclaimer I will watch the episode again and hopefully get more out of it)

I am so happy I put a disclaimer to that statement.  After watching the show again it was beautifully done.  But here starts my questions.  Does Geordie have a cyst or goiter on his neck? and is Geordie required to work for Jamie?  

Found my answer to Geordie...he has a goiter.  It does pay to go back and watch because there are several things I missed. 

Edited by GingerMarie
spelling
  • Love 2
16 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

And don't interrupt them to clarify that you don't work there. 

I'm interested in what Jamie's up to with the pamphlets, but if we're going to be subjected to Claire's misadventures of mouthing off and wandering around where she shouldn't, it's going to be a long season for me. 

• Love 2
54 minutes ago, GingerMarie said:

My title (s) of this episode would be  He's Not That Into You or My Picture is better than your Pictures. (disclaimer I will watch the episode again and hopefully get more out of it)

I am so happy I put a disclaimer to that statement.  After watching the show again it was beautifully done.  But here starts my questions.  Does Geordie have a cyst or goiter on his neck? and is Geordie required to work for Jamie?  

It's a goiter and no, why should he be? After Jamie's years of imprisonment and indenture, I don't see him having an indentured servant of his own.  

• Love 1

hMMM so if Jamie never remarried who was the woman with him in that first scene?  It wasn't Jenny was it?  Maybe a maid? 

Their "first time - again" scene was good.  It was sweet and awkward, and comical, too.  Of course, my favorite line was:  

C - Don't you want to eat?

J - Aye **heads south** 

Simplistic yes. But Jamie made it work.  I did not sense He Was Not That Into Her. Not even a little bit.  Quite the opposite. 

19 hours ago, Daisy said:

I'm wondering with Fergus (So CUTE STILL!) if his accent is supposed to be a scottish/french blend because it always sounds kind of off. this is officially a new Fergus right? he's adorable. :) 

Nope same Fergus - they just have a really talented makeup artist!  LOL I kid, I kid!  Yes the grown-up Fergus is very cute.  Nice reunion between him and Claire. 

4 hours ago, cam3150 said:

Claire is 50 in 1968/when she goes back. In season 2, while still in France, Murtaugh writes down all the years Claire has lived and says something like, "you lived through all these years" and the list starts at 1918. Pretty sure Jamie is 4 years (or maybe it's 5 years?) younger than Claire. (I think the characters talk about how old they are in season 1, but I'm not completely sure on that despite having watched it again recently) Yes, Cait is 38 and Sam is 37.

I rewatched season 1 and 2 before season 3 started and the characters look older to me. It's pretty subtle though, nothing drastic. The producers were saying they put gray in Jamie's hair too, but I don't really see that. Having dark hair, I sympathize with Claire's noticeable grays.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, ganesh said:

I didn't get why Jamie was smuggling the booze. It's not illegal is it? Or was it because the brothel couldn't buy it. 

I'm guessing, no taxes paid to the Crown. 

2 hours ago, ganesh said:

...Claire's misadventures of mouthing off and wandering around where she shouldn't

In contemporary life in some parts of the world, this would be called, saying what she thinks and feels, and going where she wants. I realize that since Claire's part of an adventure tale, her "indulging" in these things foments peril for her and rescue by Jamie or some other good man. I find that trope more than tiresome; I find it insidious. It seems to justify a jejune "NO GIRLS ALLOWED" sentiment, and reinforces the notion that when things really matter, we're all better off without women around. Girls just make things worse. 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, ganesh said:
19 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

And don't interrupt them to clarify that you don't work there. 

I'm interested in what Jamie's up to with the pamphlets, but if we're going to be subjected to Claire's misadventures of mouthing off and wandering around where she shouldn't, it's going to be a long season for me. 

Quote the whole thing though. My comment was within the context of the show. It's not her fault, but one needs to have some level situational awareness normally let alone 200 years in the past. 

Well, you know Claire has made it back when she ends up almost instantly being almost raped! I am honestly starting to wonder if they family is just cursed, they cant do anything or go anywhere without some disaster befalling them. Really, did any woman (or person really) get through their life without any kind of sexual assault before the 20th century? 

Anyway, still a really good episode, I am just thrilled that Jaime and Claire have finally found each other, even if it is a bit awkward. I can understand the awkwardness, they haven't seen each other in 20 years, and Jaime had no idea that Claire would ever come back, or why she decided to come back now. Then, all of the sudden, its..."hi Jaime, guess who`s here!" and theres Claire! I would have liked a bit more passion in their meeting, but I am still happy. 

Awwww Fergus! I am so happy he and Jaime are still together, and that he and Claire had a super sweet reunion. It seems like his accent has mostly gone Scottish, but there is a teeny bit of French still in there. Or at least, a more lilting tone then most of the Scottish born and raised people we have met. He turned out super cute too!

I really liked seeing how the printing press worked, and seeing this older, urban, business owner Jamie. It was nice to see from a historical/techical perspective. Plus, Jamie in glasses? Yes please. I also loved him getting all flustered about Brees bikini on the beach in the 60s! "She went out wearing that!?! With a lad?!?!" Oh Jamie, you old fuddy duddy. 

• Love 2

Idk, I feel like Claire and Jamie pretty much look the exact same as they did "20 years ago", so it bothers me. What makes it worse is that they keep bringing it up, like, "Oh, I've clearly aged, look at this!" or, "My body is so different, omg." Like, no, it's not. 

• Love 6
8 hours ago, Zima said:

Idk, I feel like Claire and Jamie pretty much look the exact same as they did "20 years ago", so it bothers me. What makes it worse is that they keep bringing it up, like, "Oh, I've clearly aged, look at this!" or, "My body is so different, omg." Like, no, it's not. 

The behind the scenes discussion said they made an active choice to give a few clues that they aged rather than using a lot of makeup/ forcing actors to gain weight/etc. It’s strange but I have decided to accept it.

5 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I can't wait to hear who they were referring to when someone asked Jamie, "What about....?" and he said it didn't matter because Claire was back.

Ooh yes! Forgot about that! I am sure shippers are hoping he finally hooked up with John Grey! ?

I don't really have a problem with the actors' versus characters' ages. I can suspend my disbelief enough. I never had a problem with actors who are pregnant but their characters aren't. Now, if Jamie was out swashbuckling, I'd call the show out on that. I was miffed that Claire was all, "most guys in their 40s are soft around the middle." It's called diet and exercise, Claire. Thanks. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, nara said:

The behind the scenes discussion said they made an active choice to give a few clues that they aged rather than using a lot of makeup/ forcing actors to gain weight/etc. It’s strange but I have decided to accept it.

I am actually glad they decided not to go overboard on the aging.  It would be distracting, for one thing. For another, people who are late 40's don't necessarily look "old" and it is also not odd for people to look younger than their real age.  For example, no one believes I'm 41, everyone thinks I'm early 30's. I don't even tell people my real age any more. Why shatter the illusion?. I just let them guess, lol.  

It is somewhat common for people to not look drastically different from late 20's to late 40's. A few gray hairs and facial lines are usually about it.  People of Jamie's time would be much  more physically fit than people of today, just because most everything they did involved some kind of physical labor (vs sitting at a desk, driving everywhere, sitting on the couch, etc).  I think that's why they even had Claire address Jamie's physique, as a way of explaining why he was still in such good shape. Plus. aside from a 3 year period, Claire had been using to 20th century skincare!

I personally think they both do look a little older, especially Claire, even with the dyed hair.  But, she has always looked older than she was supposed to be to me.  Her curly hair actually makes her look younger.  The 60's helmet hair did her no favors.  

Edited by cam3150
  • Love 2

Just as a practical matter, I assume there's a lot of seasons left here, so getting the main actors who are nearly in every scene into prosthetics or heavy makeup would probably be really costly and time intensive. 

• Love 3
14 minutes ago, ganesh said:

Just as a practical matter, I assume there's a lot of seasons left here, so getting the main actors who are nearly in every scene into prosthetics or heavy makeup would probably be really costly and time intensive. 

Very good point. I've read about Sam and how long it takes him to have Jamie's  back scarring put on.  He has also talked about how he has to color his hair almost weekly during filming to get the "Jamie red" since his own hair is a lot lighter.  

• Love 1
1 hour ago, cam3150 said:

I am actually glad they decided not to go overboard on the aging.  It would be distracting, for one thing. For another, people who are late 40's don't necessarily look "old" and it is also not odd for people to look younger than their real age.  For example, no one believes I'm 41, everyone thinks I'm early 30's. I don't even tell people my real age any more. Why shatter the illusion?. I just let them guess, lol.  

It is somewhat common for people to not look drastically different from late 20's to late 40's. A few gray hairs and facial lines are usually about it.  People of Jamie's time would be much  more physically fit than people of today, just because most everything they did involved some kind of physical labor (vs sitting at a desk, driving everywhere, sitting on the couch, etc).  I think that's why they even had Claire address Jamie's physique, as a way of explaining why he was still in such good shape. Plus. aside from a 3 year period, Claire had been using to 20th century skincare!

I personally think they both do look a little older, especially Claire, even with the dyed hair.  But, she has always looked older than she was supposed to be to me.  Her curly hair actually makes her look younger.  The 60's helmet hair did her no favors.  

You might look younger than you are, but I'm sure you look older than you did 20 years ago.

While it was common for people in Jamie's time to be more physically fit, it was also more common for them to look haggard. They lived very hard, more physically intense lives back then compared to the way we live now (In Westernized countries, anyway). With everything he had been through, he would have aged tremendously. 

As I said, the lack of aging wouldn't bother me that much if they didn't keep bringing it up. When Claire was sitting around the table with the whores and they commented that she looked too old to be working there, my husband and I practically died with laughter. The other women easily looked the same age, if not older, than Claire. 

Edited by Zima
  • Love 4
9 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I can't wait to hear who they were referring to when someone asked Jamie, "What about....?" and he said it didn't matter because Claire was back.

I re-watched last night. I am not spoiled. I will say that because I speculate that Jamie is married. He is a man of his time and men at that time married.because it was expected of them. And it's been 20 years since Claire went away.  maybe he even has more children than that Willie boy? Not sure but he seemed sketch when he was talking to Fergus. (and mentioned Ned Gowen (sp?)-- which 20 years later wouldn't he be like-- dead? or really old?) I found it odd that Claire doesn't even suspect that he might be married. Or even ask. It's been 20 freakin' years! Life goes on!

Anyway, this time around I watched the ending. So that was Jenny and Ian's son who popped into the room to say "hey" to Uncle Jamie? Is Lallybroch close to Edinburgh? A days ride by horse?

I had no problem with Claire heading downstairs to have breakfast with the "ladies" Why not? And why does everyone assume that Claire is about to be raped at the end? Dude looked sinister for sure but he also seemed to have a mission and rape didn't seem to be it. I know! I know! This show! and women in vulnerable positions. But I'm going to speculate that rape does NOT happen.