Type keyword(s) to search

FTWD In The Media

• Start Topic

TWD runs 8 episodes in the fall and 8 in the spring, with FTWD running 15 episodes next year, how do you think they will play it? 15 episodes spanning the summer? Or will they split it up to be summer and dec/jan? Or even run it at the same time as TWD?

I'd bet on an 8 summer / 8 winter split. The two shows are targeted at the exact same audience; anything else, and they'd be competing against each other for market share.

Edited by Nashville
  • Love 1
That's what makes the apocalypse so hard for her, she's going to fall hard and fast very quickly. Because [at the start] she's got hope.

That petulant brat has hope?  Okay.  If she falls hard and fast it's because her idiot mother can't be arsed to tell her anything.

Edited by GreyBunny
  • Love 1

Frank Dillane of ‘Fear the Walking Dead,’ Dodging Zombies and Seeking a Pub
By KATHRYN SHATTUCKAUG. 26, 2015
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/30/arts/television/frank-dillane-of-fear-the-walking-dead-dodging-zombies-and-seeking-a-pub.html?_r=2

[VIDEO] AOL Build interview with Alycia Debnam-Carey
http://www.aol.com/build/519050286/

'Fear the Walking Dead': Which Main Character Will Die First? Here Are Our Predictions
September 4, 2015  Rachel Tsoumbakos
http://www.inquisitr.com/2391857/fear-the-walking-dead-which-main-character-will-die-first-here-are-our-predictions/

Edited by tv echo

Gosh, this should be interesting....(insert sarcasm emoticon)

From the link included below::

Timed with the show’s season finale on Oct. 4, online serial companion will roll out 16 minute-long episodes.

http://www.thewrap.com/fear-the-walking-dead-launches-web-series-flight-462/

One minute episodes??? Jeez louise....

Wanted to add something of a more positive note, and hope this would be the appropriate thread...Lincoln A. Castellanos (Tobias) will be one of the more than 70 celebrities attending Walker Stalker Con in Atlanta on Halloween weekend. He's the only actor from FWD announced thus far.

http://walkerstalkercon.com/atlanta/team/lincoln-castellanos/
Good on him!! It's gonna be great exposure for him, but that's just my two cents.

Edited by Janimo
  • Love 1

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2015/09/28/5-big-problems-with-fear-the-walking-dead/

This article says everything I've been thinking about the show.

5 Big Problems With 'Fear The Walking Dead'

1. We need to actually see the breakdown of civilization, government, and communities.

2. The main characters are really boring and stupid.

3. There’s too much fluff even in a plodding, slow-paced show.

4. There’s not much fear here.

5. When The Walking Dead comes back on, the gap between the two shows will be even more apparent.

This is an interesting idea:

Between the infected and the military, there’s not much left of civilization to break down—unless the show dumps the entire cast and shows us a new city devolving into chaos each season. It’s not like we’re very attached to these characters.

5 Big Problems With 'Fear The Walking Dead'

1. We need to actually see the breakdown of civilization, government, and communities.

2. The main characters are really boring and stupid.

3. There’s too much fluff even in a plodding, slow-paced show.

4. There’s not much fear here.

5. When The Walking Dead comes back on, the gap between the two shows will be even more apparent.

Here's the thing: if TPTB are sufficiently motivated, issues #2-5 can be proactively addressed. Issue #1 is the biggest sticky wicket, however, as the story line time frame in which it could have / should have been addressed is already passed. Short of some hella huge flashbacks, Season 1 has already missed the boat on this. This excerpt from the linked article discusses this point:

This isn’t the show we were promised. If anything, this is an interesting premise for the next season, but for the first season I expected to see a more gradual breakdown of civilization. I was hoping we’d see our heroes actually start to fight to survive—going out into the insane city to get supplies, or attempting to make a break for the desert but running into standstill traffic and being forced to hoof it through an urban center rapidly devolving into intense danger.

I’m honestly not sure if it’s too late to fix this issue.

So, itchy little demon that my brain is, it got to thinking: how could #1 be addressed? The article writer's suggestion was successive seasons could be a redux - new cast, in a new city, in the same immediately pre-ZA time frame. Personally, I don't think that would work more than a season or two before becoming extremely repetitive. I do think a similar solution presents itself for Season 2, however, which could be dovetailed to the current S1: a new cast - but still in L.A., and in the same time frame but backtracked or rewound to the same point in time as the start of S1. This S2 cast would be in the same societal context as the S1; their experiences, their social interactions, their reactions, and - most importantly - their exposure to society's collapse could be vastly different, and explored in MUCH richer detail. And at the conclusion of S2 / premiere of S3, the S2 cast - or what's left of it - could be conjoined to the S1 cast as they escape Cobalt.

Just a notion - but hey, I'm a pessimistic optimist. ;)

• Love 3

This Variety review sums up how I feel about FTWD after watching the finale...

‘Fear the Walking Dead’ Finale Sails Into Uncertain Future (SPOILERS)
OCTOBER 4, 2015 | 10:25PM PT
Brian Lowry  OCTOBER 4, 2015 | 10:25PM PT
http://variety.com/2015/tv/columns/fear-the-walking-dead-season-finale-review-spoilers-amc-1201609990/

... That said, the mere term “characters” neatly sums up where this series faltered from the get-go, focusing as it did on an extended family that just never got all that interesting....

AMC has done a topnotch job marketing the show, including tie-ins like the “I’m tired of these zombies on this plane!” stunt. Ultimately, though, “Fear the Walking Dead” has merely reinforced that the reason people actually care about “The Walking Dead” isn’t because of the dead, but the living. And while the series had its moments along the way, as late as episode six, this felt like a show that it might be possible to like, but that only a mother – living or otherwise – could love... (read more)

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 3

Entertainment Weekly has an interview with Erickson:  http://www.ew.com/article/2015/10/05/fear-the-walking-dead-finale-showrunner-dave-erickson-season-2

and I'm not sure what to do with this quote:

"As for the neighborhood, we don’t see it on camera, but we went back and forth. There’s actually a version where they just slam through the gate with the truck and knock it over. And the question came up: What about the people in the neighborhood, because they’re basically ringing a dinner bell for the walkers to come in? In my mind, you don’t see it on camera, but because Salazar is able to figure out how to open the gate — we don’t see Travis get out of the truck but he very well could have jumped out and hit that button and closed the gate. I also think it would have been easy enough for a neighbor to have come and pressed the button and closed the gate as well."

If it's a discussion that they had, why didn't they decide and then show it? To me, leaving the gate open was (would have been?) the most cold-bloodedly callous thing I've seen a Walking Dead protagonist do. If you want to backtrack on that, show me during the broadcast dammit!

• Love 6

What kind of frigging writing is this?  Travis could have closed the gate?  And we just didn't see it?  Well, he could have baked everyone a casserole with a hand written note warning them about Cobalt attached, but they didn't show that either.  I guess I can imagine whatever outcome I desire, since, you know, it could have happened.  Ugh.  No wonder this show sucks.  Thank God they never let this guy touch the mothership.

• Love 8

Came across this today:

AMC will revive “Fear the Walking Dead” in the spring, giving fans an unbroken string of zombie apocalypse drama stretching from February — when “The Walking Dead” returns — through May.

The second season of “Fear” will premiere Sunday, April 10, a week after the season finale of “The Walking Dead.” The new season will run for 15 episodes, with the first seven set for spring and the remaining eight airing later in 2016.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2016/01/08/fear-the-walking-dead-season-2-coming-in-april/

Came across this today:

AMC will revive “Fear the Walking Dead” in the spring, giving fans an unbroken string of zombie apocalypse drama stretching from February — when “The Walking Dead” returns — through May.

The second season of “Fear” will premiere Sunday, April 10, a week after the season finale of “The Walking Dead.” The new season will run for 15 episodes, with the first seven set for spring and the remaining eight airing later in 2016.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2016/01/08/fear-the-walking-dead-season-2-coming-in-april/

TPTB better make this one count. FTWD is already on my short list for termination.

• Love 2

I don't have a link for this, but I was watching TV this morning, and saw a clip about the new movie Risen, coming out for Easter.  (It's about the Resurrection, not zombies, lol)  Anyway, Cliff Curtis/Travis is playing Jesus! 

I'm OK with differing opinions.

If you say so.  You seem less than OK with my and GB's differing opinion with the reviewer.

I don't know what show he's watching but it sure as hell isn't this one.

I agree.  The reviewer gushes about how great the leads are and how interesting the teenagers are, how FtWD shows the early days of the outbreak when the main show "slept through it"...  Where is that show because it's not Fear the Walking Dead.

The teenagers are annoying and boring, Kim and Cliff aren't good in this show, and it skipped over large chunks of the important parts of the early outbreak which resulted in not learning anything new after all.

• Love 5

Fear The Walking Dead: Season 2 Premiere’s High Seas Adventure

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/darryl-woodard/fear-the-walking-dead-sea_1_b_9696428.html?utm_hp_ref=entertainment&ir=Entertainment

During the six episodes of Season 1, unlike in The Walking Dead, viewers were privileged to witness gradual societal breakdown.

Do we have to buy the DVDs to see those scenes? Because they were conspicuously absent from my TV screen.

• Love 6

During the six episodes of Season 1, unlike in The Walking Dead, viewers were privileged to witness gradual societal breakdown.

Do we have to buy the DVDs to see those scenes? Because they were conspicuously absent from my TV screen.

Preach.

Edited by morgankobi
7 hours ago, sisterspoon said:

That review reads like someone's mother. They see so much more than what's actually there.

But it reminded me that I didn't understand the binocular group. Did the show give some explanation why or how the group focused on Nick? I'm not going to assume that someone on a hill is studying each zombie in a herd. That's stupid. The reviewer says that maybe they were the caused the distraction that drew a previous herd away. The only scene I remember was when Nick was on the car after the dog attack and I thought I heard church bells.

In this universe, walker or no, wild dogs are a problem so I don't have any problem with showing them as a threat.  Being oblivious to all the dead human beings and only feeling for a couple of bitten pooches? Sorry can't get on that train.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Iguessnot said:

That review reads like someone's mother. They see so much more than what's actually there.

But it reminded me that I didn't understand the binocular group. Did the show give some explanation why or how the group focused on Nick? I'm not going to assume that someone on a hill is studying each zombie in a herd. That's stupid. The reviewer says that maybe they were the caused the distraction that drew a previous herd away. The only scene I remember was when Nick was on the car after the dog attack and I thought I heard church bells.

In this universe, walker or no, wild dogs are a problem so I don't have any problem with showing them as a threat.  Being oblivious to all the dead human beings and only feeling for a couple of bitten pooches? Sorry can't get on that train.

I would add "That review reads like someone who wrote the shows mother".  The glass was no way near half full...

On 8/22/2016 at 5:36 AM, Iguessnot said:

I had a friend who trained animals to work on TV & film, so I think of them as actors and hey, at least they got a part and a paycheck!

• Love 1
13 hours ago, SimoneS said:

AMC is responding to FTWD's declining ratings by hiring a new executive producer, Jami O’Brien from Hell on Wheels. We'll see if she can improve the show in season 3.

http://deadline.com/2016/08/jami-obrien-overall-deal-amc-fear-the-walking-dead-hell-on-wheels-1201802927/

Considering how painfully uneven and damn near unwatchable Hell on Wheels became in its later seasons, this may not be much of a help.

• Love 2

AMC renewed The Walking Dead companion series for a fourth season ahead of its third season premiere, the network announced Friday afternoon. Per the network, Andrew Chambliss and Ian Goldberg (Once Upon a Time) will become the show’s new co-showrunners in season 4.

The network also announced that Walking Dead showrunner and executive producer Scott M. Gimple is joining the series as an EP as well.

http://ew.com/tv/2017/04/14/fear-the-walking-dead-season-4-renewal/