Type keyword(s) to search

FTWD In The Media

• Start Topic

Interview with the show's leading man https://youtube.com/watch?t=475&v=oy9h7YhblEg

Not sure if he has that much charisma to pull off a leading man position...I know, I know I shouldn't be judging yet, but he leaves me eh.  You have to get to about the 6 minute mark before he talks about the new show, and it sounds like they want to focus more on relationships then it's predecessor, which considering the amount of teenagers on the show scares the crap out of me.

• Love 2

I really wish Netflix would have gotten it instead.

I loathe Hulu and their ass-dragging, skipping, freezing streaming, problems I never have with Netflix.

The only reason I put up with it is when I desperately need a Real Housewives fix...even then I end up wanting to hurl my remote through the screen.

• Love 2

A little more information filtering through...

I still can't believe this has an anticipated premiere date of next month when they're apparently just now in the filming process.

Has anyone heard anything different about the premiere?

Anyway, here's a little tidbit to hold us all over whilst awaiting the premiere:

http://www.comingsoon.net/tv/news/441727-fear-the-walking-dead-showrunner-talks-main-characters-companion-status#/slide/1

Production is in full swing on AMC’s highly-anticipated companion series, “Fear the Walking Dead,” in Vancouver and series showrunner David Erickson has opened up in a new interview about why they chose that very careful wording for it.

“We are loosely covering the period of time that [The Walking Dead’s] Rick (Andrew Lincoln) was in his coma in season one,” Erickson tells The Hollywood Reporter. “We’re able to watch and experience the things that he missed. It’s more of a parallel story than a prequel; imagine the opening where Rick gets shot and goes in his coma — that day was probably very close to our day one. We’re playing out the idea of what was going on in the country and the world until he woke up, stepped outside and it’s welcome to the apocalypse. That’s why a “companion piece” has been the phrase used at the network. It’s not a prequel in the sense of Better Call Saul, where we’re jumping back six, seven years. It does tie very specifically into the pilot of the original. ‘Prequel’ is not the right word; it’s kind of its own strange, hybrid thing. I wish I had a better word.”

Erickson also spoke about the lead characters in the series and how the zombie apocalypse is good for them in a way.

“It’s about a family: Travis (Curtis) just moved in with his girlfriend Madison (Dickens) after they got married. She has two children, one of whom has some issues. Travis has a very pissed-off teenager and an ex-wife. You’re talking about two people who, as the story opens, all they want is to bring their family together under one roof and make everyone whole. The irony for us is that the only thing that helps accomplish that is that the world ends. What’s intriguing to me is to take these problems, which I think would make for a compelling drama, and put them in this much larger canvas and see how they play out. All of the issues that we establish, these are the things that in my head will come to fruition in seasons three, four, five and six. It forges an interesting introduction into this world. It’s much more about the “shark” you don’t see in season one. We obviously play some of the tropes — and there are definitely walkers — but it’s people trying to wrap their brain around what the hell is going on and not fully understanding the zombie apocalypse by act one. It’s going through that process of the colleague or the friend you had coffee with the day before is now trying to kill you. And your first thought’s going to be, ‘They’re sick, they’re on something.’ It takes a bit of time for everyone to wrap their brains around what this truly means.”

Finally, the first season of the series will have just six episodes, but Erickson is not adverse to a larger slate for the already ordered second season.

“I would imagine the network has a very specific plan. I think 13 is a great number; 15, 16, it’s really a question of having the time to sit down and make sure we’re not burning story to burn story; that we’re able to build something that’s layered and textured and compelling. I think it’s a safe bet that if things go well, they’ll probably want more rather than less, but I’m not sure what that number’s going to be.”

A little more to the story at the link above...

• Love 2

Robert Kirkman says timelines on the two Walking Dead shows will match up

"I don’t consider this show to be a prequel to The Walking Dead, because there will be a point where a certain episode of this show will line up with season 2 of The Walking Dead, and a certain episode of this show will line up with season 3 of The Walking Dead. So we will be progressing through time to the point that we do pass the initial days of the outbreak. But how fast it is that we get there? That’s just going to have to remain a mystery.”
  • Love 2

Robert Kirkman promises 'zero woods' on Fear the Walking Dead

“Los Angeles is such an interesting city in and of itself, just because of the vast melting pot of diversity that California has become,” says Kirkman. “The urban sprawl—it covers a tremendous amount of land, and it’s got an extremely dense population, so there are a lot of things about that that lend itself well to good storytelling in the zombie apocalypse. But also, this is a city where a vast number of people come to the city to reinvent themselves, or they’re new to the city for various different reasons. It’s almost a city of immigrants inside a country of immigrants. So there’s definitely some aspects of that we’ll also be playing with as well.”

Does that more urban environment mean that Fear will eschew the filming in the woods that’s become so prominent on the original series? According to Kirkman, the answer is yes. “Yeah, we’ll definitely be spending a lot less time in the woods,” he says. “I can say I think we’re not in the woods at all. Yeah, I am pretty sure we are in zero woods this season.”

• Love 2

“Yeah, we’ll definitely be spending a lot less time in the woods,” he says. “I can say I think we’re not in the woods at all. Yeah, I am pretty sure we are in zero woods this season.”

What does RK have against trees, anyways?  Guessing he didn't dream of being a lumberjack while growing up.  No more "Paul Bunyan"-like joking nicknames for you, sir.

• Love 1

I just took it as an Entertainment Weekly writer asked Kirkman a stupid question ("Will there be trees?"), and he got snarky.

I'm no fan of his, but even I would've asked "Will there be celebrity cameos?" Trees?!

• Love 1

I was being sarcastically snarky myself.

And yeah, considering TWD takes place in rural parts of the south & deep south, it would make sense that trees and forests would be fairly abundant.  But expecting/wondering if a similar landscape would be likely in the urban sprawl that is LA, ala FtWD??  Of course it would be the same type of topological terrain, interviewer.  [/sarcasm]

• Love 1
(edited)

Fear the Walking Dead: Robert Kirkman reveals new details and casting
BY DALTON ROSS • Posted May 18 2015 — 6:00 AM EDT
http://www.ew.com/article/2015/05/17/fear-walking-dead-robert-kirkman-reveals-new-details-and-casting

'Fear the Walking Dead' Boss Reveals Details of AMC's Big Spinoff
MAY 18, 2015 3:00am PT by Lesley Goldberg
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/fear-walking-dead-boss-reveals-796461

fear-the-walking-dead-first-official-pos

(source)

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

More casting news...

Ruben Blades Joins ‘Fear The Walking Dead’ On AMC
by Denise Petski  May 18, 2015 2:29pm  
http://deadline.com/2015/05/ruben-blades-cast-fear-the-walking-dead-the-walking-dead-companion-series-1201429353/

Sandrine Holt Joins ‘Fear The Walking Dead’ On AMC
by Denise Petski  June 1, 2015 1:22pm  
http://deadline.com/2015/06/sandrine-holt-cast-fear-the-walking-dead-amc-the-walking-dead-1201435819/

Colman Domingo Joins AMC’s ‘Fear The Walking Dead’
by Denise Petski June 10, 2015 10:04am
http://deadline.com/2015/06/colman-domingo-cast-fear-the-walking-dead-1201440675/

Shawn Hatosy Joins ‘Fear The Walking Dead'; Madison McLaughlin In ‘Chicago PD’
by Denise Petski  June 16, 2015 9:18am 
http://deadline.com/2015/06/shawn-hatosy-cast-fear-the-walking-dead-the-walking-dead-1201444873/

• Love 1

Hmmm... with this news that FtWD will be more of parallel series to TWD, other than being labeled as just a prequel... why didn't they rename the original to TWD - Atlantic and the new one to TWD - Pacific?? 

Maybe there's a third series in the works for the future, and they can call that TWD - Heartland.  Or TWD - Great Lakes.  Maybe TWD - Panhandle.

(edited)

'Fear the Walking Dead' Showrunner Talks: What Will They Call the Walkers?

[says showrunner Dave Erickson:] “All I’ll say is this: I love the fact that in the comic and the original show, the vernacular, the language, varies depending on your community, your city, your state, whether it’s walkers or biters.

“The names that we’ll play with are kind of specific to what our characters experience as the story begins. Which is, if it seems to be a virus, it’s a contagion, are they infected? It will be in that world at first, and then I think it will approach something a little bit more apocalyptic. That will coalesce as the season plays out.”

New promo:

Edited by editorgrrl
(edited)

Fear the Walking Dead panel at SDCC 2015...

1:00pm
AMC's Fear the Walking Dead

Cliff Curtis, Kim Dickens, Frank Dillane, Alycia Debnam-Carey, Elizabeth Rodriquez, Lorenzo James Henrie, Ruben Blades and Mercedes Mason join executive producer and showrunner Dave Erickson, executive producer Robert Kirkman, executive producer Gale Anne Hurd, executive producer Dave Alpert, and special effects makeup supervisor and executive producer Greg Nicotero to discuss the anticipated series premiere of Fear the Walking Dead coming this summer. Join the panelists for a Q&A session and an official sneak preview of the new series.
Friday July 10, 2015 1:00pm - 2:00pm
Hall H

http://www.comic-con.org/cci/friday

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2

I'm very excited to learn that Ruben Blades has joined the cast.  He's talented in so many areas, and his decision to join FtWD really raises my expectations for the show - which were already pretty high, I have to admit.

• Love 3
(edited)

I love Ruben Blades and like Shawn Hatosy so I am glad that they are both joining the show. However, I am worried that so many "known" actors are being cast. The terror of TWD Zombie Apocalypse concept only works if main characters are real jeopardy and occasionally killed off. I am skeptical that they going to be courageous enough to kill off these actors who are likely friends and must be on contract. I think more likely they will chick out and hire lesser known actors as Red Shirts. Does Kirkman have creative control of this show because that will make a difference.

Edited by SimoneS

I love Ruben Blades and like Shawn Hatosy so I am glad that they are both joining the show. However, I am worried that so many "known" actors are being cast. The terror of TWD Zombie Apocalypse concept only works if main characters are real jeopardy and occasionally killed off. I am skeptical that they going to be courageous enough to kill off these actors who are likely friends and must be on contract. I think more likely they will chick out and hire lesser known actors as Red Shirts. Does Kirkman have creative control of this show because that will make a difference.

Actually, I could just as easily see the opposite being true. Established actors/actresses might not be so willing to tie themselves down to a single project long-term. I'm sure they would be more likely than "unknowns" to negotiate a kill-me-off escape clause in their contracts, in case a big opportunity came their way.

• Love 2

Actually, I could just as easily see the opposite being true. Established actors/actresses might not be so willing to tie themselves down to a single project long-term. I'm sure they would be more likely than "unknowns" to negotiate a kill-me-off escape clause in their contracts, in case a big opportunity came their way.

I'd read that Ruben Blades was planning another run for the presidency in Panama in (iirc) 2017. You can start his kill clock in the first episode.

(edited)

Link

Looking better, if I do say so myself.

Oops, just saw the other post. 

Delete unless it would be better for it to have it's own thread. These longer trailers always seem much more spoilery to me.

Edited by HalcyonDays
This post moved here from another thread and strike tags added to retain original post content.
(edited)

This will be a rare occasion, where we see the early stage of the ZA.

Confusion

Misinformation

Widespread panic

Things getting out of control, by the time the Government realizes what they're dealing with.

A large city collapsing within days, followed by the world.

Edited by MrsRafaelBarba
  • Love 3

This will be a rare occasion, where we see the early stage of the ZA.

Confusion

Misinformation

Widespread panic

Things getting out of control, by the time the Government realizes what the he dealing with.

A large city collapsing within days, followed by the world.

What's NOT to love?

• Love 6
(edited)

Looks like. they go the the HS, for supplies and food.

The walker shambling towards Madison, is the Principal shown in the opening.

My guess, the kid sleeping during class is how the school gets overrun.

The other teen who was trying to warn her, had enough sense to hide.

Principal Walker is shown attacking him, hope he escapes with them

Edited by MrsRafaelBarba
  • Love 2

I'm kind of a buzzkill. :P The first minute and a half of that trailer look really dumb to me. The kid running with the opened white shirt? Looks awful. When things pick up in the second half of the trailer, it looks better.

If this is the whole first season, 6 episodes, how long until we get to Rick's original world?

That trailer to me felt more like a Romero film than an extension of TWD. I'm willing to watch though. I like campy shit, (this doesn't feel as bleak as TWD is), so this should be right up my alley.

Worth a shot, right? My dvr is ready.

• Love 2

Not long now...

AMC announced today from the Television Critics Association (TCA) Press Tour a 15-episode order for the second season of “Fear the Walking Dead,”  which will air in 2016. One of summer’s most anticipated new series, “Fear the Walking Dead” was greenlit back in March for two seasons. As previously announced, the series will debut in the U.S. Sunday, August 23rd at 9:00 p.m. ET/PT with an extended 90-minute episode.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2015/07/31/second-15-episode-season-confirmed-for-fear-the-walking-dead/440461/

Not long now...

AMC announced today from the Television Critics Association (TCA) Press Tour a 15-episode order for the second season of “Fear the Walking Dead,”  which will air in 2016. One of summer’s most anticipated new series, “Fear the Walking Dead” was greenlit back in March for two seasons. As previously announced, the series will debut in the U.S. Sunday, August 23rd at 9:00 p.m. ET/PT with an extended 90-minute episode.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2015/07/31/second-15-episode-season-confirmed-for-fear-the-walking-dead/440461/

A tad premature, isn't it - ordering up Season 2 before the pilot ever airs?

Someone better pray FTWD is a hit, else they are gonna be SOOOOOOO fired.

• Love 1

TWD runs 8 episodes in the fall and 8 in the spring, with FTWD running 15 episodes next year, how do you think they will play it? 15 episodes spanning the summer? Or will they split it up to be summer and dec/jan? Or even run it at the same time as TWD?