Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E04: HalloVeen

• Start Topic

6 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

When Jake told Amy to read the belt, I thought it was going to say something like "Amy Santiago has lost the 2017 heist to her super smart boyfriend Jake Peralta who is an awesome detective and has great hair."

Same.   I didn't see the proposal coming,  but I suck at predicting tv shows.   

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Mockingbird said:

I knew this episode was going to be one of my favorites when we got Holt’s “In my belly” in the cold open. 

I love that he got the plate, ate the breakfast, and then put the plate back.

I was wondering how they were going to make Gina lose but somehow come out ahead like she always does, so I was glad that she wasn't even in this episode. I honestly haven't missed her at all this season.

Edited by ZoqFotPik
  • Love 14
15 minutes ago, ZoqFotPik said:

I was wondering how they were going to make Gina lose but somehow come out ahead like she always does, so I was glad that she wasn't even in this episode. I honestly haven't missed her at all this season.

I was dismayed when I thought she was back, thrilled when I found out she wasn't.

• Love 14
56 minutes ago, possibilities said:

I was dismayed when I thought she was back, thrilled when I found out she wasn't.

Me too.  These past few episodes without Gina has been such a delight.  Her coming back is really going to drag B99 down for me.

When she was hit by a bus in Season 4, Episode 12 - The Fugitive Pt. 2, I was hoping her character would have taken a permanent vacation.  Unfortunately, even with her pregnancy, she's due to return at some point, seeing as how she's still in the opening credit sequence.

Anywho, great episode.  Always look forward to the Halloween ones.

• Love 3
16 hours ago, Mystery said:

I read somewhere that the ratings are terrible. How can that be? I love this show. 

Fox. They kept yanking it around and then they moved it off Sunday and ratings have gone downhill since.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, ZoqFotPik said:

I love that he got the plate, ate the breakfast, and then put the plate back.

8 hours ago, possibilities said:

7 hours ago, Utpe said:

Me too.  These past few episodes without Gina has been such a delight.  Her coming back is really going to drag B99 down for me.

When she was hit by a bus in Season 4, Episode 12 - The Fugitive Pt. 2, I was hoping her character would have taken a permanent vacation.  Unfortunately, even with her pregnancy, she's due to return at some point, seeing as how she's still in the opening credit sequence.

Anywho, great episode.  Always look forward to the Halloween ones.

Same here. I was so upset when I thought that this was her return and it was going to be a triumphant win. So pleased she wasn't around at all. I really hope they just bring her back for one episode, to say that she wants to stay home with her baby and isn't coming back to work, so that we can be done with her for good. And I don't even dislike Chelsea Peretti, but Gina is such a drag.

• Love 8

I hate to ask this, but what does the ep title "HalloVeen" mean?

I wonder if the show runner sees how much better the show is without Gina. I'm sure she'll be back sometime, but she seems unnecessary. I'm not even talking about the characterization, but just that there are so many characters, and many times there are too many storylines, so it's been nice to have things work more economically with the slightly pared-down cast. Of course I'd probably be feeling different if I loved Gina's character.

• Love 5
2 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

I hate to ask this, but what does the ep title "HalloVeen" mean?

It's the fifth Halloween episode and V is the Roman numeral for 5.

Heh or they were saying Halloween with The Count's accent. "Five Halloveens! Mwahaha!"

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 12

I read somewhere that the ratings are terrible. How can that be? I love this show. 

The show has never had really strong ratings. I have to give Fox credit for standing by the show because it's a critical success. Hopefully networks stop relying on outdated measuring systems like the Nielsen ratings. Millennials stream shows today, nobody watches them during live airing.

the shows produced by Mike Schur can really give lessons to everybody on how to keep a romance sweet and funny without being boring or resorting to fake drama.

Plus Jake and Amy's relationship never ate the show. That's usually the problem when they pair up a couple of the leads - the show suddenly revolves around their romance and it turns into a different kind of show. Here they managed to let Jake and Amy have a romance but keep them in different orbits so the other characters still had prominence. Yeah, they're a couple, but they never made the show about that.

• Love 9
3 hours ago, peeayebee said:

wonder if the show runner sees how much better the show is without Gina. I'm sure she'll be back sometime, but she seems unnecessary. I'm not even talking about the characterization, but just that there are so many characters, and many times there are too many storylines, so it's been nice to have things work more economically with the slightly pared-down cast. Of course I'd probably be feeling different if I loved Gina's character.

I doubt it they love Chelsea and worked as a writer on Parks.

2 hours ago, possibilities said:

Chelsea isn't the problem. The character of Gina is the problem. Maybe they can do like Scrubs did with Laverne and have Gina's twin sister take her job, and give her a totally different personality.

But a lot of Gina is based on Chelsea so they go hand and hand. 

Huh. So this year the writers figured out how to have the audience win the Halloween Heist. I wasn't expecting that proposal, and it was set up incredibly well. Andy Samberg is utterly convincing in Jake's adoration of Amy (and fully justified in it), but what really caught my attention was the way Melissa Fumero absolutely nailed the teary eyed emotion of the moment. The show brings sincerity and heart better than pretty much anything else I've seen in a long time.

And yet it's still absolutely hilarious. Holt and the bitch lines, Charles and the Tramps, Terry and the GPS yoghurt. It's all possible because these writers know the characters so well. They never demand that they do something that doesn't fit, just because it's the punchline or setup of a joke. I really appreciate that, because it's something barely any television manages, past the first couple of seasons. With Holt, in particular, they've embraced the fact that they can give him the worst, most obvious punchlines they can think of, because the character and Andre Braugher still makes them hilarious.

The cold open, with Jake and Amy being ready, but Holt being so ready that Jake's breakfast was already "in [his] belly" was fantastic. 

The championship cummberund was great, and Holt's justification that it couldn't be a belt because there wasn't a pair of trousers that would have loops to fit it.

Bill is yet another in a string of guest characters that bring so much to the table. I love that they always have backstories and pet interests, and in this case are trying to con people into joining a pyramid scheme.

They actually dropped in plenty of hints about the proposal that make sense in hindsight (and would probably have tipped me off, if I were more observant). Jake telling Charles he really needed to win this year, Amy repeatedly saying Jake couldn't surprise her, and telling him what a mistake he'd made letting her into his life.

Jake being turned on by Amy being mean was great. I always love these weird little windows into their private life. And apparently the "do it more." "I hope you die" exchange was ad libbed by Andy and Melissa.

Jake thinking that 127 Hours must have ended when the protagonist just "wiggled out" made me giggle. 

What they managed to do, alongside showing how perfectly Jake and Amy are suited, is show just how good they both are as detectives. Using their knowledge of one another, and of their colleagues, to deduce what was going on. Amy even immediately identified the right box because the dust pattern didn't match, and Jake knew she'd figure it out too.

That was easily the best TV proposal I've seen. Matching sex tape jokes, mutual butt love, Amy pretending to at least like Die Hard 2. And then the sweetness is nicely undercut by Boyle fainting. And I really liked Jake's romantic epiphany reveal. Because for one, isn't it always like that? And two, Amy's dorkiness is one of the main reasons I adore her too, so it's understandable.

Just a quick point on Gina: These episodes are all the proof one needs that her character is superfluous, and often actually detrimental to the show.

Edited by Danny Franks
  • Applause 1
  • Love 22

I've watched it twice now, and the second time around was even better, because this time I wasn't bracing myself for the proposal to end up as a heist-winning fake-out. I cried both times.

This was such an amazing episode. I can't believe that the best couple-type relationship on tv right now is on a half-hour sitcom/ cop show. I mean, I even didn't mind the Handmaid's Tale bit - I read the book years ago, didn't care for it, and never watched the show (but Amy calling Jake 'Ofamy' was cute in a twisted way).

And Holt stole all the best bits, as per usual! (To Cheddar) "That's my doggie! You betrayed me. You'll explain yourself later. Return to my office."

I think I'll watch it again.

• Love 7

After rewatching the proposal scene *mumbles* times, I just have to say that I love the relieved sigh Jake heaves before getting off his knee to put the ring on Amy's finger. I love the nerves that reveals. Even though he must have pretty sure Amy would say "yes," Jake was still nervous. Aw!

• Love 5

This was a 5-star perfect episode.  Everything about it just hit.

- The betrayals and counter betrayals were fast and furious

- everyone was always one step ahead of everyone else, fantastic timing

- OfAmy

- Scully's pick up line

- 'This bitch!'

- 'I pity the child who has to sleep under this solar system'

- Amy being all hardass and competitive 'Boring!'

- The proposal was fantastic.  Hats off to Andy Samberg he sold the nerves and longing perfectly.

- His realization that he wanted to marry Amy was because of her outrage of a typo in the crossword puzzle. Again, Andy Samberg's face!  You could see him saying "Yeah, I am a goner."  This put it over the top for me.

Again, a fantastic episode.

• Love 10

When I first heard about the show I thought that Andy S. was doing a good job following Jerry Seinfeld's lead of surrounding himself with good actors. Except (1) he surrounded himself with GREAT actors and (2) Andy S. is a much better actor than Seinfeld, something I never would have expected from his time on SNL. 

Someone upthread mentioned his expression when Amy found the box, and on one of my rewatchings (what? don't judge me) I saw this, too. He rubs his hands together and just looks so scared and hopeful. 

I like that the belt started out with AMazing... something or other, and then the new words were AMy Santiago.... though that's as far as I got with the "possibly using the same letters for the proposal" theory. 

I didn't even realize, until people mentioned it here, how much I've been enjoying the Gina-less shows. Hate that character. 

During the proposal scene it even looked to me like Melissa Fumero was flushing on her chest and neck. That's acting!

Edited by Mystery
  • Love 16

He also rubbed his hands together nervously as Amy lifted the box onto the counter. Really good physical acting from both of them in that scene. As I already said, I think Melissa brought the sheer joy and ecstasy of the moment, and you could see every bit of it in her face. Look at her expression when she shows Boyle the ring.

They've both grown so much as actors, from the pilot episode to now. They were always funny, but being able to sell a proposal scene that could easily come across as cheesy is not easy.

• Love 10

Finally got to watch this. Great episode, but if you were a P&R fan,  you had to see that proposal coming. Not that I'm complaining.

As for the ratings, they've always been bad, but they've dropped off the cliff this year. I'm just glad we somehow got 5 seasons of this show.

This is Us is running at the same hour. I watch B99 live and catch TIU on Hulu the next day, but I suspect I'm the minority on that. I like TIU but I LOVE B99.

Shows I love almost never get this many seasons, so I figure we're on borrowed time as it is.

• Love 3

I'm hoping that if this is the last season on Fox, then maybe Hulu will pick up  B99. I'm not holding my breathe that it will happen, but with The Mindy Project ending soon maybe Hulu will be interested in saving another comedy.

Edited by betweenthebanter
  • Love 1

I don't know... I tend to feel like 5 years is a good run for most shows (and these have been full 22-episode seasons, not these newfangled 15ers); and while I too will hate to say goodbye to the characters whenever that happens, I'd rather it happen while it's still on top of its game and the characters haven't devolved into caricatures. (See, I'm afraid, The Mindy Project in its Hulu continuation.)

• Love 2

I get what you're saying. B99 having 5 full seasons and remaining a quality show is a big accomplishment and I agree that I would rather lose the show this season, then have it become a sad version of its former self. It just makes me really sad to think of the prospect of losing this show soon, so I cling to the idea that it could have more life on Hulu. When I imagine it going to Hulu it's really just for two shortened seasons, so basically the length of another full season on Fox. That way the show could live a little longer, ideally maintaining its quality, but not long enough that fans are thankful that its ending.

11 minutes ago, betweenthebanter said:

so I cling to the idea that it could have more life on Hulu. When I imagine it going to Hulu it's really just for two shortened seasons, so basically the length of another full season on Fox.

It's a completely different situation Universal gave Hulu a crazy good deal on the Mindy Project in order to beef up the number of episodes for syndication that won't be necessary for B99. 

If only the show had the mass appeal of The Big Bang Theory, it would run forever. Oh... but if it was like The Big Bang Theory, I wouldn't be watching it.

Yet again, I am left baffled by the viewing tastes of the American public. Almost without fail, the people who count towards ratings watch shitty, formulaic garbage, and ignore almost anything that's good.

• Love 8
On 10/17/2017 at 8:11 PM, Dots And Stripes said:

I'm ridiculously happy over Jake and Amy. I was just wondering if they were going change anytime soon (either proposal or split). I'm happy they went the proposal root.

I'm really glad they didn't take the "split root".  That's so dad against the spirit of this show.

On 10/18/2017 at 2:33 AM, tominboston said:

I thought the bulk of this year's Halloween episode was kind of chaotic to the point where I was having a little trouble following the story

I find the Halloween episodes are always a bit chaotic -- always sooooo much going on.

On 10/18/2017 at 0:19 PM, thuganomics85 said:

how did Holt know that the Team Tramp would hide the belt... err, cumberbund under a server?

Terry definitely strikes me as someone who prefers lighter fare in his television viewings.

It had to be under something only Terry could lift.
"Terry likes comedies.  Heavy stories make Terry sad."

On 10/18/2017 at 3:31 PM, Iceman91 said:

the shows produced by Mike Schur can really give lessons to everybody on how to keep a romance sweet and funny without being boring or resorting to fake drama.

The Office and B99 are the only two of his shows I've liked.  I watched a few episodes of P&R and just no.  The Good Place was intriguing, but I lost interest long before it went off the rails.

On 10/18/2017 at 7:45 PM, Mockingbird said:

Jake realizing he wanted to marry Amy when she was in bed, angry she found an error in the crossword puzzle was so ridiculously sweet. Or, as Rosa would say, dope. 

That was such an "Amy moment" and him realizing how much he loved it was so cool!

On 10/19/2017 at 0:00 PM, iMonrey said:

Jake and Amy's relationship never ate the show. That's usually the problem when they pair up a couple of the leads - the show suddenly revolves around their romance and it turns into a different kind of show.

Very much YES.  Plus, it becomes "will they-won't they" dragged out for season after season, with the dumbest "obstacles" put in the way [waves at Castle].  The "side-trips" on the road to the proposal were so organic, I didnh't mind them.

On 10/20/2017 at 4:41 PM, bethy said:

Even though he must have pretty sure Amy would say "yes," Jake was still nervous. Aw!

I really love that he did the proposal in private, giving Amy the space to say "No" or "Not yet" without the pressure of everyone watching.  (I hate "Jumbotron proposals" soooooo very much!  If the woman says "No", she looks like a "bitch" to everyone viewing the event.)

• Love 2
9 hours ago, jhlipton said:

I watched a few episodes of P&R and just no.  The Good Place was intriguing, but I lost interest long before it went off the rails.

To each his own, but I wonder at which point you bailed. S1 of P&R was a work-in-progress. It got great after that. As for The Good Place, did you watch to the end of S1?

• Love 4
On 10/20/2017 at 8:52 AM, Danny Franks said:

Just a quick point on Gina: These episodes are all the proof one needs that her character is superfluous, and often actually detrimental to the show.

You've been banging that drum for a while. I think this recent run of episodes prove that you were right all along. 

• Love 2
53 minutes ago, hoodooznoodooz said:

Well, if this is the last season of B99, I would like a spin-off of Holt, Kevin and Cheddar.

And maybe Jake could be a recurring character.

No Jake without Amy and Charles!

• Love 3

Given the show' propensity for cliffhangers that separate Jake and Amy, I really hope that the show is given a heads up and time to plan a proper finale. My biggest hope is the shortened final season. Since Fox has done that for Bones and Fringe, and soon New Girl, it's not impossible. 

• Love 2
On ‎10‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 0:40 AM, Kip Hackman said:

Finally got to watch this. Great episode, but if you were a P&R fan,  you had to see that proposal coming. Not that I'm complaining.

Finally got to watch this episode last night.  I was a big P&R fan, but Ben's proposal to Leslie was long ago enough that Jake's proposal to Amy surprised me.  I rewound that scene and will watch the episode again soon.  Sheer perfection!

• Love 3

Well, that might possibly be the sweetest TV proposal I've ever seen. I absolutely love every minute of it. I love that Jake didn't seem to tell anyone about it, which made it even better for me. I rewatched some moments after I finished, like the moment where he's telling Boyle that he has to win this year, and his complete eagerness made so much sense. It was actually pretty smart to have him propose in private and not in front of everyone. I found that it was the smartest move and made it even more intimate. I suspect it also allowed for no pressure to be on Amy (personally why I'd hate a public proposal for myself). And Amy's reaction was so well done. 

It really was a great episode because the proposal happened in the infamous Halloween episode, even more infamous than this show's Thanksgiving episodes. I knew someone new was winning the cummerbund this year, but the twist of it not really mattering because of the proposal was an excellent way to not only move Jake and Amy forward in their relationship with a treasured holiday of theirs, but also to psych out the audience who might have been trying to figure out which character would get the belt this year (I thought it would be Terry this year or Scully/Hitchcock). 

I like Fake Boyle a lot. I think Bill's a pretty solid recurring character who makes me laugh. I love that Holt knew about Terry, Rosa, and Boyle's plan way ahead of time so he could prepare to get the cummerbund from under the IT machine. I loved Fake Cheddar and how Amy sacrificed her dog allergies to get it to work. All in all, this may very well top the other Halloween episodes. Ok, well, Halloween I and III are still very high on my list of favourites, but this one comes very close. 

• Love 3